• 134 results
Posted by SkySanji (4582 posts) 7 months, 30 days ago

Poll: How fast is Monkey D. Luffy(you can use any of his forms here) (104 votes)

Peak human 11%
FTE + 2%
Bullet Timer 3%
Casual Bullet Timer 0%
Hypersonic Sonic 7%
High Hypersonic 15%
Massively Hypersonic + (Lightning Timer) 46%
Sub Relativistic 7%
Relativistic 6%
Light Speed 4%

How Fast?

#51 Posted by Gaoron (8726 posts) - - Show Bio

Shounen writers downgrading travel speed is nothing new, Toriyama was doing the same. Luffy combat speed is around low-mid hundreds mach in gear 4th imo.

#52 Posted by TheKinfing (11732 posts) - - Show Bio

Wasn't 200 kilometers per hour too fast for Luffy to keep up with in the last chapter or something?

Edit: I rechecked it. Luffy literally commented "so fast" on some guys 200 kilometer per hour speed, lol. It isn't looking good for that Mach 300+ Luffy...

Can you post this? That isn't even Mach 1.

#53 Posted by AlexTheBoss (17377 posts) - - Show Bio

@gaoron said:

Shounen writers downgrading travel speed is nothing new, Toriyama was doing the same. Luffy combat speed is around low-mid hundreds mach in gear 4th imo.

True, but downgrading to 200 kmh is much different than Toriyama downgrading to hypweronic travel speed, lol. I believe at super quick bursts Luffy can move at massively hypersonic speeds and lighting time, but not being able to run at 200 kmh is pretty bad considering that would be a sprint to catch up to something that close.

Avatar image for hey_thatsmildlyadequate
#54 Edited by Hey_Thatsmildlyadequate (1563 posts) - - Show Bio

Luffy does have feats of outrunning point blank explosions pre and post time-skip. But it's clear that Oda isn't thinking about how this makes luffy a hypersonic speedster, hence Gazel man was able to outrun him

#55 Posted by shirso (3998 posts) - - Show Bio

@hittheassasin said:

Wasn't 200 kilometers per hour too fast for Luffy to keep up with in the last chapter or something?

Edit: I rechecked it. Luffy literally commented "so fast" on some guys 200 kilometer per hour speed, lol. It isn't looking good for that Mach 300+ Luffy...

Can you post this? That isn't even Mach 1.

No Caption Provided

#56 Posted by KingGuinness (1882 posts) - - Show Bio

Are people really taking that 200 kilometres per hour thing seriously? Not only is it massively inconsistent with Luffy's other speed feats, he himself never even commented on the speed. O-Kiku or whatever her name did.

#57 Posted by Ninelven (203 posts) - - Show Bio

When Oda gives us exact numbers, it often makes no sense.

Luffy easily outran a big explosion in base form, but can't catch a guy who just started running with 200 kmh? Alright ...

#58 Posted by FlashingSabre (3863 posts) - - Show Bio

Well,

A. Luffy's travel speed has always been much slower than his combat and reaction speed.

B. O-Kiku was the one saying that Gazelle can (specifically) run distance really fast. Luffy never said anything about his speed, he just jumped up on the Komainu because it was the obvious thing to do. Plus, he wants to follow Gazelle back to his base so he can take out Holdem, Hawkins, and Speed.

#59 Posted by TheKinfing (11732 posts) - - Show Bio

@shirso: Wow that's pretty terrible, I was lead to believe One Piece character where much faster.

#60 Posted by FlashingSabre (3863 posts) - - Show Bio

@thekinfing: Travel speed doesn't equal combat speed. There's a million similar examples. This is just especially obvious.

#61 Edited by DeChefMan98 (1015 posts) - - Show Bio

Comic High Tier characters' travel speed are massively faster than light but their combat speed is much less.

#63 Posted by Hey_Thatsmildlyadequate (1563 posts) - - Show Bio

The ability to move fast in bursts is also entirely in combat situations. Throughout the series, Luffy and Zoro have shown they can't consistently run at even mach 1

#64 Posted by Chronicplane (9016 posts) - - Show Bio

MHS + Easily at the least, possibly Sub-Relativistic with all the gear stacking and scaling though that's probably pushing it?

#65 Edited by seastone98 (4668 posts) - - Show Bio

Most likely Hypersonic or better but no 1 can say 4 sure also any1 giving an exact number on luffy speed is talking out of dere a$$ since we have no proof 4 solid numbers only general calculations & speculation so until oda gives us official numbers (which is extremely unlikely) none of our statements are fact

#66 Posted by Azureus (2579 posts) - - Show Bio

Massively Hypersonic, I place him a couple dozen above lightning.

#67 Posted by Hey_Thatsmildlyadequate (1563 posts) - - Show Bio

@chronicplane: I really cannot see Luffy being in the high end 4 digit machs

#69 Posted by DoctorDaMn (894 posts) - - Show Bio

@undefined: If lightning is about a 3rd the speed of light, what are sub-relativistic and relativistic speeds?

#70 Posted by LeoTheGreatest (4559 posts) - - Show Bio

I knew this was coming as soon as I read the latest chapter.

#72 Posted by JackKira89 (538 posts) - - Show Bio

@gxrevs06 Natsu is even faster than Luffy at this point....:

#73 Edited by SkySanji (4582 posts) - - Show Bio

Usain bolt would beat Bruce Lee in a race.

Bruce Lee would destroy Usain bolt in a fight.

Travel speed and combat/reaction speed are two different things.

The 200 kmh isn't consistent to the other feats luffy have done,Congrats Natsu can beat Luffy in a race IF you want to take the 200 kmh at face value but Luffy would decimate natsu in a fight in a stomp too.

#74 Posted by shirso (3998 posts) - - Show Bio

@gaoron: @seastone98: @chronicplane: @thekinfing: @hey_thatsmildlyadequate: @doctordamn: @skysanji:

I looked at the scan a bit more carefully, I think it's clear that that's not Luffy, but O-tama, the new samurai chick that makes the "fast feet" comment. You can say Luffy could not react to that Gazelle dude running right past him with the kid, but I chalk that more to plot and Luffy being distracted than anything. He catches onto the dog pursuing the Gazelle like the very next page.

What do you think?

#75 Edited by SkySanji (4582 posts) - - Show Bio

@shirso: Thanks didn't even realize.

That wasn't even Luffy who commented on the Gazelles speed so this lowball shouldn't even be applied to Luffy let alone Zoro and like I said before even if it was Luffy who said it he has many speed feats that puts this one to Shame.

Also can't stress this enough the 200kmh is a travel speed feat not combat/reaction speed feat.

#76 Posted by SocaJunkie (8405 posts) - - Show Bio

@shirso: Wow that's pretty terrible, I was lead to believe One Piece character where much faster.

In running speed?

#77 Posted by Lan_Fan (13110 posts) - - Show Bio

Peak human.

#79 Posted by SkySanji (4582 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump

#80 Edited by weuylf (28 posts) - - Show Bio

just some animated feats to get a better idea:

Dodging lasers like nothing:

No Caption Provided

Blitzing regular Hody:

No Caption Provided

Blitzing Mingo:

No Caption Provided

Punching Lucci:

No Caption Provided

It feels MS+ to me or at least HH.

#81 Edited by Gaoron (8726 posts) - - Show Bio

@weuylf: Those are not lazers, real lazers don't explode on contact since they are literally light.

#82 Posted by Erkan12 (8391 posts) - - Show Bio

Even fodders to Luffy can move at Soru speed (a speed that too fast for human eyes can see) do the math.

#83 Posted by Yray (471 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol... One piece low ballers .. a fodder character runs slower than the speed of sonud and and manages to kidnap a kid while Luffy was distracted then a low tire samurai tries to catch up with him and comments THAT HE HAS FAST FEETS . . OP low ballers running crazy saying Luffy commented that The fodder was too fast for him .... Luffy currently is at least mhs+

#84 Edited by weuylf (28 posts) - - Show Bio

@gaoron: They are described as lazer beams and are based on Kizaru's light devil fruit. His kicks are literally light and they explode as well.

No Caption Provided

Kizaru is definitely light speed since no one could even react to him when he was first introduced (no one could use haki then), his beams should be aswell:

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

#85 Posted by Gaoron (8726 posts) - - Show Bio

@weuylf: Kizaru is definitely light speed while he moves but I doubt his projectiles are LS aswell tbh. Chars like Marco reacted to them which would make him close to LS and characters that could blitz Marco FTL which sounds really unreasonable.

#86 Edited by weuylf (28 posts) - - Show Bio

@gaoron: I get what you're saying but I don't see any reason to doubt his projectile speed other than inconsistencies by Oda of which we can find a lot. I mean, they do explode.

Marco reacting to them isn't really that farfetched Marco is the right hand man of the strongest guy alive. He got grounded by Garp who should, by story hype, be Rogers or Whitebeards level, maybe slightly less, so that's reasonable aswell.

#87 Posted by SkySanji (4582 posts) - - Show Bio
#88 Edited by SocaJunkie (8405 posts) - - Show Bio

@doctordamn: Cloud to ground lightning is under mach 300, the return stroke is 1/3 lightspeed but people usually refer to cloud to ground.

#89 Edited by SocaJunkie (8405 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyway can someone explain to me why people are losing their minds over O-Tama saying Gizelleman runs fast? Because there’s nothing wrong with it.

#90 Posted by shirso (3998 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyway can someone explain to me why people are losing their minds over O-Tama saying Gizelleman runs fast? Because there’s nothing wrong with it.

Most people initially thought it was Luffy saying that and went ballistic.

#91 Edited by FaradaySloth (9167 posts) - - Show Bio

MHS

#92 Posted by Gaoron (8726 posts) - - Show Bio

@weuylf: So do you think Luffy is LS or close to it because he dodged Pacifista "lazer" beam?

#93 Edited by weuylf (28 posts) - - Show Bio

@gaoron: I think he's close to it in reaction speed, not quite sure about fighting. I don't think Oda would make people faster than Kizaru who is a top level character in the whole world and his speed should be the best in One Piece considering his fruit and feats. Haki plays a major role in a lot of these Luffy feats and makes Kizaru an enemy that is defeatable by some characters, might be the color of observation more than speed. Kizaru is pure speed.

#94 Posted by DeChefMan98 (1015 posts) - - Show Bio
#95 Posted by Jko1 (3028 posts) - - Show Bio

@gaoron said:

Shounen writers downgrading travel speed is nothing new, Toriyama was doing the same.

And you know whats funny? Looking back and seeing all the hypocrisy. Back when Dyspo was stated to be ftl, everyone wanted to say Dragon ball characters had just became the speed of light. But when Gazielleman was stated to be subsonic, no one wants to say One Piece just became subsonic.

These debaters are TOTALLY NOT BIASED.

#96 Posted by Hey_Thatsmildlyadequate (1563 posts) - - Show Bio

@shirso: I don't think Luffy couldn't react to Gazel man, I just think Gazel man can naturally run faster than Luffy

#97 Posted by KingZod (3988 posts) - - Show Bio

*Hits blunt*

Relativistic

#98 Posted by Jko1 (3028 posts) - - Show Bio

@shirso: I don't think Luffy couldn't react to Gazel man, I just think Gazel man can naturally run faster than Luffy

Luffy clearly could not react to him. You're being intellectually dishonest.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2

#99 Posted by Hey_Thatsmildlyadequate (1563 posts) - - Show Bio

@jko1: ok 2 things. 1:I haven't looked and examined that panel extremly closely, so no I'm not being dishonest, and dont go around accusing people of that. 2:That looks like Gazel man ran off with her when Luffy was distracted with Batman. I could just be confused since it's hard to tell what's going on in some of those panels but that's what it looks like to me

#100 Posted by Jko1 (3028 posts) - - Show Bio

@hey_thatsmildlyadequate: Earlier your said that Luffy is causally high hypersonic in base and then went along. To say that he can outrun point blank is explosions. This is contradictory because the speed of explsoions are nowhere near high hypersonic and they aren't even subsonic. Speed of explosions are roughly 483 kph while Gazelleman was going less that half that speed and yet Luffy and Zoro still could not even see him coming.