How fast is Monkey D. Luffy(you can use any of his forms here)

SkySanji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll How fast is Monkey D. Luffy(you can use any of his forms here) (259 votes)

Peak human 7%
FTE + 2%
Bullet Timer 2%
Casual Bullet Timer 2%
Hypersonic Sonic 4%
High Hypersonic 11%
Massively Hypersonic + (Lightning Timer) 34%
Sub Relativistic 13%
Relativistic 14%
Light Speed 12%

How Fast?

• 
KingGuinness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Massively faster than light.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bc07bdd89a5f
deactivated-5bc07bdd89a5f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mr_ingenuity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mr_ingenuity  Moderator

At base his combat speed isn't that impressive but his reaction speed should easily put the higher end of reentry speed to shame.

Luffy should be seeing high hypersonic characters at a standstill in gear 4th. Considering he significantly faster than gear 2nd, but I don't think he's faster than lightning.

Avatar image for hey_thatsmildlyadequate
Hey_Thatsmildlyadequate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Excluding his outliers against Enel, I'd say he's pretty casually high hypersonic in base and gear 2 and higher in gear 4th and Snakeman

WhatamIseeing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

considering hes blitzed doflamingo he’s definitely mid MHS+.

Whatever happened to LuffyisKing he’d say luffy is MFTL+++

socajunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By socajunkie  Moderator  Online

The water bullet dodging feat on Fishman Island puts his reaction speed at base in excess of mach 40. For combat speed, he can hit re-entry level in G2, G4BM makes him attack several times faster so that's mach 100 minimum, G4SM amps his speed further to an unknown degree so his final speed is somewhere in excess of mach 100, he isn't faster than lightning but at this point his reaction time should be good enough to let him react to it.

Avatar image for tomtheawesome123
tomtheawesome123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By tomtheawesome123

@piratekingoda: @kingguinness: Are you serious? I honestly can't tell lol

@mr_ingenuity: Funny thing is Base Luffy's travel speed is ridiculously low... Below 200km/h according to the most recent chapter. You may think his combat speed isn't impressive but his travel speed is hilarious.

mr_ingenuity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mr_ingenuity  Moderator

@tomtheawesome123: Yeah Luffy's travel speed has always been pitiful for someone with speedster level combat speed. But everyone in One Piece only seems to be fast in quick burst not over long distances. So you can't say Oda isn't consistent, plus in Oda's mind Brook is the fastest Straw Hat barring Sanji and Gear 4th have.

tomtheawesome123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By tomtheawesome123

@mr_ingenuity: Can you link or at least tell me which SBS Oda says that Brook is the fastest barring sanji? O_O

mr_ingenuity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mr_ingenuity  Moderator
socajunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 socajunkie  Moderator  Online
tomtheawesome123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mr_ingenuity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 mr_ingenuity  Moderator

@socajunkie: That's still wrong tho. Which is why users going word of god (a fan created term) means **** all.

socajunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By socajunkie  Moderator  Online

@mr_ingenuity: Why is it wrong? I don’t recall any amazing running speed feats from anyone in the crew aside from maybe Usopp and that gag feat Zoro and co had on Punk Hazard.

mr_ingenuity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mr_ingenuity  Moderator

@socajunkie: Number one one piece debater my ass. Sanji has feats of running for two years straight, which strengthened his legs to the point he can skywalk. And with skywalk he ran from Dressrosa to Greenbit between the time it took for nami to summon lightning and Doffy to attack the Sunny.

socajunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 socajunkie  Moderator  Online

@mr_ingenuity: The first point doesn’t make him faster at running, it just makes him faster over short bursts and Sky Walk again isn’t running.

Try again, MI.

mr_ingenuity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mr_ingenuity  Moderator

@socajunkie: Skywalk isn't running, we read the same manga?

To bad Sanji stated it's exactly that in the chapter he introduced it.

No Caption Provided

socajunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 socajunkie  Moderator  Online

@mr_ingenuity: You realize Sky Walk is the exact same thing as Geppo with the small change that while Sanji does indeed 'run' on air, the majority of the times he uses it is when he's moving from A-B in short bursts.

Additionally in the scan where he's on the Tranny island, you have no proof he's running in the air any faster than when he's running on the ground so where's your proof that he 'runs' the fastest?

mr_ingenuity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mr_ingenuity  Moderator

@socajunkie: You seems to be changing your tune, that's a start. 50 meters is a relatively short burst to hypersonic characters.

Geppo and Soru relies solely on leg strength.

Sanji does from dressroas to greenbit from the time nami summons a lightning bolt, to the time it takes Doffy to attack the sunny.

I left the second scan in to note Law's escape from Issho and Doffy is also included in this time span. This is more than 50 meters and more along the lines of miles.

If we include gear fourth feat of blitzing Doffy than Luffy takes the take the title for fastest Straw Hat.

HitTheAssasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HitTheAssasin

Wasn't 200 kilometers per hour too fast for Luffy to keep up with in the last chapter or something?

Edit: I rechecked it. Luffy literally commented "so fast" on some guys 200 kilometer per hour speed, lol. It isn't looking good for that Mach 300+ Luffy...

socajunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By socajunkie  Moderator  Online

@mr_ingenuity:

You seems to be changing your tune, that's a start. 50 meters is a relatively short burst to hypersonic characters.

It would be about one short burst in which I'd agree Sanji would be the fastest but that isn't running, I got the impression Oda was talking about sprinting.

Geppo and Soru relies solely on leg strength.

Yep, fully aware of that.

Sanji does from dressroas to greenbit from the time nami summons a lightning bolt, to the time it takes Doffy to attack the sunny.

I left the second scan in to note Law's escape from Issho and Doffy is also included in this time span. This is more than 50 meters and more along the lines of miles.

Yeah again, you don't have any proof he was literally running through the air to cross that distance, it's much more likely he was using Geppo for it's normal use, that is to keep pushing off the air similar to what Vergo was doing on Punk Hazard.

If we include gear fourth feat of blitzing Doffy than Luffy takes the take the title for fastest Straw Hat.

This has nothing to do with running speed.

@hittheassasin said:

Wasn't 200 mph too fast for Luffy to keep up with in the last chapter or something?

Kph, even worse.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bdcbb8da1d15
deactivated-5bdcbb8da1d15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MHS EASY

lol at hypersonic Luffy

HitTheAssasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gearsecond659: Gear, Luffy was all like "h-how fast" at 200 kmh speeds last chapter, that's gotta put a dent in your "casual lightning speed pre-timeskip" Luffy argument... Right? ;)

shirso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gearsecond659: Gear, Luffy was all like "h-how fast" at 200 kmh speeds last chapter, that's gotta put a dent in your "casual lightning speed pre-timeskip" Luffy argument... Right? ;)

Haven't caught up to One Piece yet, I am still like 6 chapters behind. However, I am getting outlier vibes from this because that character wasn't even moving at the speed of sound lol. Rob Lucci is at the very least faster than sound due to moving FTE and Luffy never commented on his speed before.

So no, this really doesn't put a dent in my argument unless you are suggesting Luffy is slower than sound.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mr_ingenuity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 mr_ingenuity  Moderator

@socajunkie:

It would be about one short burst in which I'd agree Sanji would be the fastest but that isn't running, I got the impression Oda was talking about sprinting.

You can't refute Sanji stating he ran into the sky as not running. The form & technique doesn't matter.

Yeah again, you don't have any proof he was literally running through the air to cross that distance, it's much more likely he was using Geppo for it's normal use, that is to keep pushing off the air similar to what Vergo was doing on Punk Hazard.

You're logic is he's casually strolling while using skywalk at the same time ignoring that skywalk is running. How else would Sanji be running if not the fastest way he know when Nami is endangered?

This has nothing to do with running speed.

It's just a thought I'm fully aware Luffy uses his legs like a piston. But there is still gear second which he would use for running making him faster than Brook. And you can't refute that since Oda even stated Captain Kuro could run 100 meters in no more than 5 seconds. Kuro speed comes from Soru and Luffy.

Chapter 57, Page 88

D: I have a question. How quickly can Captain Kuro run 100 meters?

O: To tell you the truth, it is extremely hard to measure his speed correctly, but I don't think it would take more than 5 seconds. Think of it as 4 point something. Whoa! That's a world record.

So Brook is running 50 in less than 3 seconds if we use scaling. In Oda's mind Kuro = CP9 = Luffy gear second < Brook

What I'm really trying to get across is Oda has no idea how fast his characters are so he does things for plot. Prime example is 200 kph, not only did the fodder outpace Luffy he passed right by them (Zoro included) with Tama.

shirso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Though tbh the last chapter just seems Luffy goofing around to me, or a minor brain fart on Oda's part. I mean Luffy has outraced point blank explosions that stuck to his body and ran so fast that the ground caught fire. Now suddenly 200km/h is "so fast" for him? Smh

mr_ingenuity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 mr_ingenuity  Moderator

@shirso: Luffy isn't goofing around when his friends are endangered. Oda just doesn't know how fast his characters are which is why he thought of good number to put on the page and went with it.

socajunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 socajunkie  Moderator  Online

@mr_ingenuity:

You can't refute Sanji stating he ran into the sky as not running. The form & technique doesn't matter.

I wasn't refuting it and of course it matters since there are two ways of using it, one is running, the other is kicking the air to quickly change direction in short bursts.

You're logic is he's casually strolling while using skywalk at the same time ignoring that skywalk is running. How else would Sanji be running if not the fastest way he know when Nami is endangered?

Ok I need a visual example:

No Caption Provided

This, he'd likely be doing this, this is the other use of Sky Walk and it isn't literally running.

It's just a thought I'm fully aware Luffy uses his legs like a piston. But there is still gear second which he would use for running making him faster than Brook. And you can't refute that since Oda even stated Captain Kuro could run 100 meters in no more than 5 seconds. Kuro speed comes from Soru and Luffy.

Logically yes, but we've never seen Luffy using gear 2nd to boost his running speed, it's mainly for short bursts.

So Brook is running 50 in less than 3 seconds if we use scaling. In Oda's mind Kuro = CP9 = Luffy gear second < Brook

What I'm really trying to get across is Oda has no idea how fast his characters are so he does things for plot. Prime example is 200 kph, not only did the fodder outpace Luffy he passed right by them (Zoro included) with Tama.

I'd agree but I think he views running as different from the zipping and disappearing action he uses for movement speed in combat.

shirso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mr_ingenuity:

Luffy isn't goofing around when his friends are endangered.

Ok, goofing around is probably the wrong word however from the overall vibe of Wano till now I feel Oda doesn't intend for the SH's to be fully serious just yet at this early stage. For instance something like this would never happen in the climax when they are fighting Kaido.

Oda just doesn't know how fast his characters are which is why he thought of good number to put on the page and went with it.

This is undoubtedly true to an extent but as I said I also feel Oda doesn't care about these things at this stage in the arc. I mean Luffy or Zoro is probably going to casually wreck that guy as an afterthought say about 5-10 chapters from now when things actually start escalating. This "200km/h so fast" is at the end of the day a throwaway line which the fandom is nevertheless still going to obsess over as a low feat for Luffy in the years to come.

mr_ingenuity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mr_ingenuity  Moderator

@socajunkie:

I wasn't refuting it and of course it matters since there are two ways of using it, one is running, the other is kicking the air to quickly change direction in short bursts.

Excuse me then for the misunderstanding.

Ok I need a visual example:

No Caption Provided

This, he'd likely be doing this, this is the other use of Sky Walk and it isn't literally running.

Sanji never used that style in the manga, if you can find me and example I concede.

Logically yes, but we've never seen Luffy using gear 2nd to boost his running speed, it's mainly for short bursts.

There is every reason to think he's gear second here to keep up with Smoker. We have the facts Luffy comments on his feat and you can note how exhausted he is.

Edit: Smoker states he took the shortest route at maximum speed, which should go for the same for Luffy.

No Caption Provided

I'd agree but I think he views running as different from the zipping and disappearing action he uses for movement speed in combat.

I know perception, reaction & combat speed are all different things in one piece. And I would agree Oda makes note of the differences.

What I'm getting at Luffy has the perception and reaction speed to tag fodder running a 200 kph definitely one that ran by him. He later even grabs the dog guardian that's running after the fodder. If we assume the dog will catch up within a reasonable time, then why couldn't Luffy grab the fodder.

mr_ingenuity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 mr_ingenuity  Moderator

@shirso:

This is undoubtedly true to an extent but as I said I also feel Oda doesn't care about these things at this stage in the arc. I mean Luffy or Zoro is probably going to casually wreck that guy as an afterthought say about 5-10 chapters from now when things actually start escalating. This "200km/h so fast" is at the end of the day a throwaway line which the fandom is nevertheless still going to obsess over as a low feat for Luffy in the years to come.

The thing is this is now canon speed to as being too fast for base Luffy & luffy didn't even react to him running by. Luffy probably react and one shot him in a fight. But what remains to be seen is if it's base luffy or gear second. This all depends if Oda even addresses this issue with a fight.

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain America level on a good day

mr_ingenuity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mr_ingenuity  Moderator

Captain America level on a good day

No Caption Provided

shirso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mr_ingenuity:

The thing is this is now canon speed to as being too fast for base Luffy

Yeah it will be annoying to defend in the Battle forums, not denying that.

luffy didn't even react to him running by

Let's be honest, Luffy or Zoro will probably casually one shot this guy in the next few chapters and both are going to fight far faster opponents later in this very same arc. Not that they need validating feats, both already have reaction and even travel feats far above 200km/h. This is just a throwaway statement at a point in the arc when the SH's are clearly not fully serious.

Enemybird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pshhh.... Light Speed.

socajunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 socajunkie  Moderator  Online

@mr_ingenuity:

There is every reason to think he's gear second here to keep up with Smoker. We have the facts Luffy comments on his feat and you can note how exhausted he is.

That's fine, though there's the possibility that Oda is talking about a race in base, no amps.

I know perception, reaction & combat speed are all different things in one piece. And I would agree Oda makes note of the differences.

One issue I have with what you said previously about Kuro and Soru, the latter technique isn't running speed, it's kicking off the ground 10x in an instant.

What I'm getting at Luffy has the perception and reaction speed to tag fodder running a 200 kph definitely one that ran by him. He later even grabs the dog guardian that's running after the fodder. If we assume the dog will catch up within a reasonable time, then why couldn't Luffy grab the fodder.

Plot, it was all to get them to the pirate sector of the part of Wano they're in.

Sanji never used that style in the manga, if you can find me and example I concede.

I'm not going to go looking for scans right now but he's used to change direction in a similar manner multiple times I'm sure and I know the anime has depicted him doing so, furthermore Robin literally states it's the same technique as Geppo.

Thenewguysnm1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eminel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good job Oda, now One Piece lowballers will use this anti-feat for the rest of series ;). Like they use Kizaru not dodging Apoo's attack to call him subsonic.

Seriously, Oda clearly is not worried about speed calcs on his mind, he doesn't know the speed to outrun a explosion where the explosive is tied to your body, or to react to a meteor on your face. Luffy speed is even more unmeasurable with the recent G4 and CoO buffs, but has been clearly MHS for a while.

What happened recently evidenciates what has been known, that OP characters do not run as fast as they fight, and everyone on this forum knows that differents types of speed exists: running, fighting, reaction, travel, etc

mr_ingenuity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mr_ingenuity  Moderator

@socajunkie:

That's fine, though there's the possibility that Oda is talking about a race in base, no amps.

Well then Sanji should stand supreme.

One issue I have with what you said previously about Kuro and Soru, the latter technique isn't running speed, it's kicking off the ground 10x in an instant.

No, the official translation states each instance. So they're actually running instead of the fan-translation where they're jumping.

No Caption Provided

Plot, it was all to get them to the pirate sector of the part of Wano they're in.

I agree which bring us back to the original point. How do you think Oda is right about Brook bing the fastest when he's introducing PIS in the manga itself?

I'm not going to go looking for scans right now but he's used to change direction in a similar manner multiple times I'm sure and I know the anime has depicted him doing so, furthermore Robin literally states it's the same technique as Geppo.

No balls.

Avatar image for simon_the_digger
Simon_the_digger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder how fast the Pacifista's laser is that Luffy dodged.

socajunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By socajunkie  Moderator  Online

@mr_ingenuity:

No, the official translation states each instance. So they're actually running instead of the fan-translation where they're jumping.

Nowhere does it state they're running...and I wasn't referring to any translation that says they're jumping, all the one's I've seen say they're kicking off the ground/hitting the ground 10x in an instant, the instant part means in short bursts as that description would make no sense for running.

I agree which bring us back to the original point. How do you think Oda is right about Brook bing the fastest when he's introducing PIS in the manga itself?

Because said PIS has to do with Luffy's reaction time, not running speed.

No balls.

2long

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mr_ingenuity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mr_ingenuity  Moderator

@socajunkie:

Nowhere does it state they're running...

I didn't state it proves my opinion verbatim. But you can't deny "Kick off ten times and instance" isn't the same as "Hit the ground each instance"

It stands to reason if your feat is hitting the ground ten times an instance you're running. Kicking off the ground ten times an instance is jumping in place.

Because said PIS has to do with Luffy's reaction time, not running speed.

That's reasonable but it makes me doubt everything he has to state in terms of One Piece speed. He hasn't been wrong about strength yet but there will come a time where luffy is only 10 tons (LMAO).

socajunkie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By socajunkie  Moderator  Online

@mr_ingenuity said:

@socajunkie:

I didn't state it proves my opinion verbatim. But you can't deny "Kick off ten times and instance" isn't the same as "Hit the ground each instance"

It stands to reason if your feat is hitting the ground ten times an instance you're running. Kicking off the ground ten times an instance is jumping in place.

I don't see why it isn't the same thing especially since they're using it to move in one direction for a short burst, contextually it's the same thing as jumping but we can go on forever on this point.

That's reasonable but it makes me doubt everything he has to state in terms of One Piece speed. He hasn't been wrong about strength yet but there will come a time where luffy is only 10 tons (LMAO).

Well we have a solid number to scale from in regards to strength, Hajrudin punched away 10,000 tons hard enough to break the sound barrier and he's physically much weaker than Luffy. With this moment it could just be possible that Oda was looking for a reason to get them to that part of the island and needed a quick kidnapping, he probably didn't think about Luffy grabbing the guy.

GXrevs06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, that's pretty pathetic. He's slower than Gon and Killua