Hercules(Greek Mythology) vs. Thor(Norse Mythology)

doubleaa54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By doubleaa54

This is not the Marvel Comics version, it's the actual beings from their respective religions. Who is the more powerful. I don't believe the Norse Thor could fly, he didn't have anywhere near the strength feats he has now, and I don't believe Mjolnir was anywhere near as powerful as it is in the comics. Hercules, I believe, really only had strength feats; but I don't believe they were anywhere near as strong as they are in the comics. Like, he couldn't move the Earth. But, they were still Gods, and powerful ones.

capall2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Myth wise generally Olympian gods and Hercules seems to be more popular and powerful...

MirrorWave4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doubleaa54: Myth Hercules Curbestomps Comics Hercules.

Myth Hercules lift the Earth while Comic one only pulled Manhatten.

doubleaa54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mirrorwave4: Really, I thought it was the other way around. I thought I read somewhere that Superman and Hercules once moved the Earth together?

capall2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mirrorwave4: with that said, comic Hercules supported the heaven iirc...

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Wolfrazer

In bringing up myth, usually the myth incarnations of the characters are more powerful then their comic counterparts. Most of the time anyway, but anyway to the battle..powerful would be Thor given he has Mjolnir and also control over lighting. Strength however would go to Hercules, along with H2H combat. Though if were taking both at their fullest, is Thor an actual god in myth or is he half god and half asgardian? Compared to Herc, he became a full god thus just making him more powerful then before so might have to go with Herc if were going at fullest.

Unless in myth, Thor was an actual full god then I go back to my previous statement before.

MirrorWave4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doubleaa54: Superman isn't mythology. And Hercules also lifted the Heavens too.

doubleaa54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mirrorwave4: I know Superman isn't mythology; I thought in the comics Hercules and Superman pulled the Earth together? I thought that's what I heard. I mean, I thought the comic incarnations were a hell of a whole lot more powerful than the actual beings? I remember learning about Thor, in mythology, and I remember them saying that he had a hard time fighting giants and sea creatures. I also don't remember Thor every being able to fly and Mjolnir having the type of power that the comics portray. I mean, I think all they said was that Mjolnir could strike lightening, and was incredibly powerful with the hits, but that was it. I also remember them mentioning that Hercules was powerful, but he as well had a hard time fighting Cyclops' and mythical creatures. So I just figured that Hercules and Thor were more powerful in the comics than they were in mythology. I mean, if anything, I think the mythical versions of them are better warriors then the comics. So a hand-to-hand combat would be interesting. Also, in my opinion, I think Thor would win anyways. Thor's hammer was known to have the power of lightening, and he could knock out giants with it, and Hercules is practically a giant, so? Also, I believe Norse Gods were better combatants then Greek Gods. I mean, you never heard much about Greek Gods fighting, except maybe Ares. I mean, the Demi-Gods were better warriors then the Gods, Achilles, Perseus, Odysseus, and when Hercules was one, before he was granted full God status.

BlueComet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hercules due to him becoming a full Olympian God meaning he can't be killed.

utkanflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 280

Heracles (or Hercules) just demi god... And just a brawler not has a any power house stuff
But Thor (norse mythology god the red one) has a power house and his a real God and even most powerfull in norse mythology... Odin maybe allfather and he has all knowledge on universe..But power, Thor has the Power... and Thor wit his golden belt(waist) and his Hammer Mjollnir has more power...

I think Thor's match-up in greek mythology is Zeus or Poseidon not Heracles.... Heracles just a Greek Hero

Got of Thunder take this hardly

LeeSensei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LeeSensei

@wolfrazer: Hercules has thor in power and strength. Myth thor loses this one.

@utkanflash Technically, thor was part frost giant. As for power... Thor could bust mountains, Hercules could move continents.

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doubleaa54: Myth Hercules Curbestomps Comics Hercules.

Myth Hercules lift the Earth while Comic one only pulled Manhatten.

I thought it was the sky. For that matter, I thought comic hercules lifted the sky too.

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Myth Thor defeats Myth Hercules. Whether Herc is immortal or not does not mean anything because the Olympians could steal be injured to the point they might as well be dead or better off dead.

Physically it is hard to say who is stronger. Thor is usually regarded as the strongest of the Norse gods and the Norse version of either Hercules or Zeus depending on who is doing the equating. Both were supposed to be the physical embodiments of strength for their respective cultures.

Except it would never come down to a strength test. Thor would fight this like he does all of his fights. A single hammer throw that can shatter mountains tears through Hercules living him a stain on the Earth. Thor then goes home and drinks an ocean's worth of mead. I don't see Hercules being able to overcome the range advantages of such a weapon.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By ShootingNova

Myth Hercules/Heracles should be stronger, but he doesn't have anything as drastic as Mjolnir. Thor wins. Hercules could feasibly win, though.

Namor_Curry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor wins, in both Mythology and in comics.

MeleeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor Odinson proctetor of mankind

bachh2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

myth herc have enough strength feat and weapon to win this one

cpt_nice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Myth Hercules has way better strength feats.

Penderor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor is good, but Hercules is better. He has much more feats and is portraited as absolute peak of demi-gods. Not to mention he was to Olymp instead of the Underworld after his death.

Hollygrove20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Hollygrove20

Hercules is more powerful, and has better combat feats. Killing the Nemean Lion, supporting the heavens for Atlas, killing the Hydra, and capturing Cerberus are more than enough to give Thor a run for his money. On the other hand Thor has countless stories of him slaughtering his enemies without qualm or concern. Whole armies have been wasted away by him, and he's had multple battles with Jormungandr (a serpent that encompasses the entire realm of of Midgard. He lopped the head off of a giant's ox for giggles. My money is on Thor as it's going to take Jormungandr poisoning the sky to kill Thor (Thor actually kills Jormungandr before the venom takes effect). All it took to kill Hercules was the blood of a centaur he shot with one of his poison arrows. Thor wins 7/10.

Chimeroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Hercules is more powerful, and has better combat feats. Killing the Nemean Lion, supporting the heavens for Atlas, killing the Hydra, and capturing Cerberus are more than enough to give Thor a run for his money. On the other hand Thor has countless stories of him slaughtering his enemies without qualm or concern. Whole armies have been wasted away by him, and he's had multple battles with Jormungandr (a serpent that encompasses the entire realm of of Midgard. He lopped the head off of a giant's ox for giggles. My money is on Thor as it's going to take Jormungandr poisoning the sky to kill Thor (Thor actually kills Jormungandr before the venom takes effect). All it took to kill Hercules was the blood of a centaur he shot with one of his poison arrows. Thor wins 7/10.

That is what it took to kill Hercules before he ascended to be a deity. Norse gods are not immortal and can be killed via ordinary means whereas Greek gods cant be killed at all. Remember how Zeus once asked Haephestus to split his head open so they can find out why it hurst?

Hollygrove20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chimeroid: The OP never said this was to the death. So I assume it's to KO/incapacitation. If that's the case then the Olympians can be hurt, and incapacitated. In The Iliad Ares leg was pierced by Diomedes Spear, that Athena drove home. Ares was also incapacitated when Athena struck him with a boulder, and he was also held captive in an urn by two giants for a lunar year. Aphrodite & Ares were caught in a net that they couldn't get out of. Zeus was chained by the other Gods until he was rescued by the Hekatonkheires. Hephaestus was once a strong and handsome God until he tried to save his mother from Zeus, who then threw him from Mount Olympus which resulted in his being lame and disfigured. There are different stories about Hephaestus' incident I will grant you, but my point being that The Gods of Greece can be beaten. As to the Norse Gods being killed by regular means, they probably can (albeit with incredible difficulty). However, I'm willing to argue that the prophecies of Ragnorak offer a kind of protection. Thor is prophesied to die after killing Jormungandr, and it HAS to happen after Jormungundr. Since Hercules isn't Jormungandr wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that Hercules can't kill him? I admit that it's a bit of a stretch, but I think that Thor would be right back in the fight because the prophecy won't allow him to die.

Avatar image for goodguytoastandstill
GoodGuyToAStandStill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hercules all the way!

Wispymatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Myth Hercules while mortal was stronger than many gods then he became the God of Strength and he was an excellent shot with his bow and arrows one of his primary weapons. I don't think Thor can beat Hercules when it comes to myths.

USSJ3071

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

herc IMO

AdamAmeen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hercules

Avatar image for deactivated-614ce5c370323
deactivated-614ce5c370323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heracles could take this espically due to thor being mortal(sort of) but thor would put up a good fight i say they become best friends

Ouroborik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#29  Edited By Ouroborik

Heracles, not Hercules. Hercules is a Roman name, this is Greek mythology we're talking about

Anyway, in regards to the fight, Thor doesn't have as many strenght feats, the best things he did were partially lifting the Midgard Serpent and overmatching it's strenght in a separate encounter. However he does have control over the weather and godly power and that should be enough for him to take the win since his presence alone was enough to shake mountains.

Gaoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heracles is better and stronger.

The_Dog_of_War

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By The_Dog_of_War

Heracles easily.

omnipotence88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Herakles

Avatar image for firestarlord73194
FireStarLord73194

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hercules has better feats, his 12 labors are more impressive than anything Thor has done. Hold the heavens, kill the Nemean Lion, kill the hydra. Thors greatest feat us fighting Jormungandr the world serpent which ends in the death of them both during Ragnorok. The Norse gods seem to be more mortal like just slightly stronger and more powerful than humans whereas olympians where used to explain laws of the universe, thus giving the much better capabilities

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor was destined to fight the world serpent to the death. Jormungand >> any monster Hercules ever fought.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e7807e5a37ee
deactivated-5e7807e5a37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Poison of Jormungand kills 1/3 of people on earth before battle of Ragnarok. On other hand Haracles fought several Gods: Hedes, Hera and Zeus( in pure 2h match). Its close one.

Avatar image for deutschkurzhaar
DeutschKurzhaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Huracules is definitely stronger. But I gotta give it to Thor he is a full god and one of the most powerful Norse gods, while Heracules is one of the strongest heroes, he is after all only a minor god created by Zeus when he died. Thor just has too much at his disposal

Vulkanian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's a myth story where Loki disguised himself and the ocean and the World Serpent and tried to trick Thor into setting the World Serpent free. Thor failed to drink all of a cup, which was actually the ocean and failed to lift a cat, which was actually the World Serpent.

Hercules lifted "the sky", which could mean the entire planet or universe. But either way, it clearly shows that Hercules is far superior physically.

Avatar image for deutschkurzhaar
DeutschKurzhaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That’s coming from a massive Greek mythology fan

Avatar image for deactivated-60e7a5c633643
deactivated-60e7a5c633643

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vulkanian said:

There's a myth story where Loki disguised himself and the ocean and the World Serpent and tried to trick Thor into setting the World Serpent free. Thor failed to drink all of a cup, which was actually the ocean and failed to lift a cat, which was actually the World Serpent.

Hercules lifted "the sky", which could mean the entire planet or universe. But either way, it clearly shows that Hercules is far superior physically.

I was just about to mention this very thing. Thor struggled to lift Jormungand, which even though it circles the Earth should not be confused with being as massive or as heavy as the Earth. Heracles, on the other hand, spelled Atlas, whose job it was to hoist the firmament, i.e., the universe and every planetary body and star contained therein. A truly massive feat to be sure. And consider that Heracles accomplished this feat as only half god. He didn't obtain his full godly powers until after he died.

In addition to pure strength, Heracles was taught by the best scholars, a brilliant tactician, a wrestler and pugilist without equal, and an archer whose skills would make Artemis and Apollo envious.

As for Thor, he had many magical items, not just Mjolnir to aid him, including his Belt of Strength. He also had his legendary berserker rage, which made him nothing short of a Hulk-like psychotic destroyer on the battlefield. But Thor was headstrong and some (Loki and Odin) would say a stupid, arrogant blowhard, rife with hubris in many of his mythical adventures.

At the end of the day, this battle is less about power, but susceptibility. Heracles was not immune to lightning, or even fire for that matter. And Thor was still the God of Storms. All it takes is a flashfire of lightning bolts to end this. That's if Heracles' Hydra venom tipped arrows don't land first.

LeeSensei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ouroborik: This is so autistic. They didn’t even specify Greek myths. For all you know they were talking about the Roman version. Everyone knows what the OP is talking about.

LeeSensei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deutschkurzhaar: Thor being a full god doesn’t meant much. And Hercules being a minor god doesn’t mean much either (how minor he is depends too... some people included him as one of the 12). Norse gods are can die. Greek and Roman gods could not. Heck, when Hercules went to war with Pylos he defeated Ares, Hera and Hades in the same battle and then chased off Apollo when he came to heal Ares.

LeeSensei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrmonster: Hercules defeated 3 major gods in the same battle, ran after a hind with super speed for a year without stopping, lifted the sky and was much smarter than mythological Thor... at least from what I remember.

20damon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By 20damon

Thor lifted the foot of the cat who was the midgaard serpent in disguise, so his strength is nothing to scoff at. He also had megin gjarðir, the belt that double his strength so he's even stronger with it. He was known to be the one who kept the armies of the Jotnar at bay and killed them for sport. His mastery of the lightning along with his hammer should put him considerable above Hercules going by the mythology alone. He killed the Midgaard serpent and was only felled because of the poison. Thor gets my vote.

bob74h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actual gods> Demi gods

Heracles gets destroyed