Isn't Hawkman an high tier?

seastone98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By seastone98

Carter is inconsistent 2 say the least, sometimes he can slug it out with aquaman other times he has a hard time with deathstroke & blockbuster

Xebec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Xebec

Metal Bat if he gets pumped up.

my opinion = fax

ur opinion = creditless

Avatar image for namelessmonster
NamelessMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Carter is inconsistent 2 say the least, sometimes he can slug it out with aquaman other times he has a hard time with deathstroke & blockbuster

This, I think Metal Bat wins.

Avatar image for namelessmonster
NamelessMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

In a very inconsistent way, I would say so, I don't know much tho about him to say where he is, maybe PR knows.

ashrym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. Nth metal gear lets him play on a higher tier against the right kind of opponents, and he's one of those characters where combat skill helps with higher tiers. He has solid midtier striking power with his mace.

Hawkman attacks living planets.
Hawkman attacks living planets.
Leaves craters so large he cannot be seen in them.
Leaves craters so large he cannot be seen in them.

Those are giants and Atom is grown to giant size instead of shrunk for context (relative to being within the microverse).

For scale.
For scale.

Take away the mace and I'd argue he's street tier by feats. Enhanced strength and durability, vision, healing, flight, and combat skill. Scaling is inconsistent and people tend to look at non-standard equipment (claw of horus).

Mee09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ashrym: I don't know if Metal Bat could tank that. Though that is mostly because I have no idea how big that crater is.

ashrym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ashrym

@mee09 said:

@ashrym: I don't know if Metal Bat could tank that. Though that is mostly because I have no idea how big that crater is.

There's a Thanagarian spaceship at the bottom that also cannot be seen.

No Caption Provided

This is the scaling with Hawkman inside the ship. The crater looks somewhere between multiple city blocks and small town, but the full crater was after 3 blows with the mace to get down into the planet.

Mee09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ashrym: Interesting... Well I don't think Metal Bat could take very many of those. But it would be hard for Hawkman to land an attack that Metal Bat wouldn't block or reduce it's damage.

It would be a good fight.

Ouroborik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Post-Crisis Aquaman was always in the tier of being given a match by Deathstroke also, so I wouldn't see that as inconsistent.

But I don't remember Aquaman ever fighting Carter so I don't think that matters much. He fought Katar Hol all the way back in 1994, before Carter was well-established in the Post-Crisis continuity.

Morningstar999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ashrym: @namelessmonster:Hm, thanks for answering. Then it depends on how much pumped Metal Bat gets, or if Hawkman is durable enough.

ashrym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ouroborik: The fight between Post Crisis Aquaman and Deathstroke that comes to mind Deathstroke was targetting weaknesses and still struggling to even hurt Aquaman. PC Aquaman has a lot of feats well beyond Deathstroke. Too many writers reinvented him. He's far more consistent now and matches up with the higher end PC feats better.

The more modern Aquaman / Hawkman encounter was Waller's JLA and that was the version of Hawkman who had Nth metal in his blood. It was brief and inconclusive as part of the large battle just before Trinity. That's the version who also fought Lobo and Despero. Oddly, that's also the version that lost to Deathstroke. ;-)

ashrym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ashrym

@morningstar999 said:

@ashrym: @namelessmonster:Hm, thanks for answering. Then it depends on how much pumped Metal Bat gets, or if Hawkman is durable enough.

Hawkman's durability is typically high street too, better bludgeoning than penetration resistance. He blocks with the mace too like a shield and that's a lot better.

Smashing through a skyscraper and cratering the ground a bit stuns and hurts Hawkman. The key is getting by the mace to hit him.

king_majestros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My vote goes to Metal Bat, for now.

Ouroborik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deathstroke has always been about fighting opponents with stats above his own.

@ashrym said:

@ouroborik: The fight between Post Crisis Aquaman and Deathstroke that comes to mind Deathstroke was targetting weaknesses and still struggling to even hurt Aquaman. PC Aquaman has a lot of feats well beyond Deathstroke. Too many writers reinvented him. He's far more consistent now and matches up with the higher end PC feats better.

The more modern Aquaman / Hawkman encounter was Waller's JLA and that was the version of Hawkman who had Nth metal in his blood. It was brief and inconclusive as part of the large battle just before Trinity. That's the version who also fought Lobo and Despero. Oddly, that's also the version that lost to Deathstroke. ;-)

Aren't you talking about New 52 and Rebirth showings? OP said this is Post-Crisis Hawkman :P

Post-Crisis Aquaman, despite having some really impressive feats in certain categories, was consistently given challenges by high street-tiers and low mid-tiers thorughout his career. Black Manta, Ocean Master, that cyborg guy who killed his dolphin mom, he even lost against a single OMAC at the end of his Sub-Diego run (although I call that bad and inconsistent writing since Aquaman had tanked way more impressive blasts before).

And Deathstroke has always been about fighting way more powerful opponents so I don't see anything inconsistent with their fight. Sure, comparing with Aquaman fighting the Olympian or an Imperiex Probe it seems weird, but Aquaman has always been like that. It was only when Geoff Johns completely retconned his history and powers in 2010 for Blackest Night/Brightest Day that Aquaman became a complete super-strength/brick hero (which, IMHO, really downgraded his appeal as a character).

ashrym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deathstroke has always been about fighting opponents with stats above his own.

@ashrym said:

Aren't you talking about New 52 and Rebirth showings? OP said this is Post-Crisis Hawkman :P

Post-Crisis Aquaman, despite having some really impressive feats in certain categories, was consistently given challenges by high street-tiers and low mid-tiers thorughout his career. Black Manta, Ocean Master, that cyborg guy who killed his dolphin mom, he even lost against a single OMAC at the end of his Sub-Diego run (although I call that bad and inconsistent writing since Aquaman had tanked way more impressive blasts before).

And Deathstroke has always been about fighting way more powerful opponents so I don't see anything inconsistent with their fight. Sure, comparing with Aquaman fighting the Olympian or an Imperiex Probe it seems weird, but Aquaman has always been like that. It was only when Geoff Johns completely retconned his history and powers in 2010 for Blackest Night/Brightest Day that Aquaman became a complete super-strength/brick hero (which, IMHO, really downgraded his appeal as a character).

Doh!

I missed the PC Hawkman. My bad.

I don't recall PC Hawkman being on par with current Hawkman.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

I it's PC I'm not sure as his best feat iirc was breaking a mace on a kryptonian's face which is hard to scale imo WHat's metal bat capable of. I more or less but Carter in a similar league of low mid with characters like Classic Venom

Ouroborik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ecstaticgrace: I remember that Post-Crisis fight against Deathstroke pretty well. I think it's one of the best showings for Aquaman's reflexes at the time because Deathstroke could do some really impressive stuff like evade Superman. But I do think the way Slade bounced off him is weird because Arthur occasionally had more trouble with guys I'd think Slade would be able to deal with pretty easily.

Or I'm just overrating Slade, i don't know.

I did not know about Aquaman and Hawkman fighting (for however brief it was) in JLA Classified, I have to check that out.

ashrym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ouroborik: Slade just has a ridiculous amount of plot power. I have a hard time using him as a benchmark.

PC Aquaman and Hawkman both varied a lot with writer.

The JLA Classified example is a bit suspect as well because Aquaman was being controlled by Despero at the time. It's an example of physicals against Despero followed by Hawkman.

Baldur_Odinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers