Avatar image for iwasbornintheusa
iwasbornintheusa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By iwasbornintheusa

Current Guts is teleported into the LotR universe and tasked with going to Mordor and destroying the ring

Guts will be travelling with puck only and will travel the same journey as Frodo, facing all the same threats.

Bonus: At the end of his journey, A bloodlusted Guts faces Sauron in his physical form.

Book/Movie feats for LotR only.

Avatar image for deactivated-60fae469e992f
deactivated-60fae469e992f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ehhh

Feats for Guts? Sauron isn't exactly a pushover

xSniperWolfiex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guts clears although sauron would be his toughest match

JanJuKBMa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By JanJuKBMa

@decaf_wizard: There are several estimations for Guts' huge Dragon Slayer sword. The ones I've seen are somewhere between 180 and 220 kilos (396 and 485 lbs). Not only is he swinging this giant sword around with one hand, but he is also moving so fast (with sword and armor) that normal humans cannot even follow his movements. He has taken hits from giant demons and monsters that would crush normal humans and has severely injured and killed many of these monstrosities. Additionally to his sword he has a mechanical left arm with a mini-canon and an automatic, repetitive crossbow. Moreover he has other weapons like throwing knives, etc. He has easily killed a group of assassins in a few seconds. These assassins could easily slaughter several soldiers. And that is all before using the Berserker Armor. With this armor he hits even harder and moves even faster because it drastically increases his pain tolerance (removing the body's natural limitations) and makes him go completely berserk. In this state he pushed around an armored, battle-hardened, experienced warrior-giant with incredible strength and shattered said giant's shield with a single blow. The shield was said to be strong enough to deflect canon balls. Then the giant turned into a big dragon, whose entire body was made of diamond if I remember correctly and even in this intimidating form Guts managed to severely damage this dragon's body. Moreover the Berserker Armor holds broken bones together while Guts fights. Downside of the Berserker Armor is of course that while using it Guts keeps fighting, no matter how injured he is and often gets close to dying from blood loss.

Guts is a freakin beast. Sauron is powerful but Guts takes this in a hard fight.

Avatar image for deactivated-60fae469e992f
deactivated-60fae469e992f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@janjukbma said:

@decaf_wizard: There are several estimations for Guts' huge Dragon Slayer sword. The ones I've seen are somewhere between 180 and 220 kilos (396 and 485 lbs). Not only is he swinging this giant sword around with one hand, but he is also moving so fast (with sword and armor) that normal humans cannot even follow his movements. He has taken hits from giant demons and monsters that would crush normal humans and has severely injured and killed many of these monstrosities. Additionally to his sword he has a mechanical left arm with a mini-canon and an automatic, repetitive crossbow. Moreover he has other weapons like throwing knives, etc. He has easily killed a group of assassins in a few seconds. These assassins could easily slaughter several soldiers. And that is all before using the Berserker Armor. With this armor he hits even harder and moves even faster because it drastically increases his pain tolerance (removing the body's natural limitations) and makes him go completely berserk. In this state he pushed around an armored, battle-hardened, experienced warrior-giant with incredible strength and shattered said giant's shield with a single blow. The shield was said to be strong enough to deflect canon balls. Then the giant turned into a big dragon, whose entire body was made of diamond if I remember correctly and even in this intimidating form Guts managed to severely damage this dragon's body. Moreover the Berserker Armor holds broken bones together while Guts fights. Downside of the Berserker Armor is of course that while using it Guts keeps fighting, no matter how injured he is and often gets close to dying from blood loss.

Guts is a freakin beast. Sauron is powerful but Guts takes this in a hard fight.

Well if Sauron just abandons his physical form and spams magic, or summons the nine in ghost form, what can guts realistically do? Remember Sauron doesn't need a physical form to stay alive and although destroying one of his forms weakens him, it isn't putting him down

iwasbornintheusa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@decaf_wizard: Guts' sword can cut through astral beings ( as in, those without a physical form ) so its likely Guts could still fight him if Sauron tries to use that kind of magic

AbstractRaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By AbstractRaze

Sauron at full power takes it, Guts won't even gain a melee position, therefore Sauron takes it with low difficulties.

JanJuKBMa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@abstractraze: What do you mean with "Guts won't even gain a melee position"? OP specifically said that Guts faces Sauron in his physical at the end of the journey. Elendil, Gil-galad and Isildur together beat Sauron. Númenóreans and Elves are arguably slightly super-human (esspecially 8-foot-Elendil), but Guts is definitely superhuman, so why shouldn't he be able to beat Sauron one on one?

Aimless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Should clear honestly

maiamaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@janjukbma: those three were champions of the second age, using weapons specifically designed to fight servants of Morgoth. They're ridiculously overpowered compared to basically anyone else in that age it's ridiculous.

Thoromdil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sauron would flick fingers and destroy Guts, but regardless,Guts will never make it to Sauron. He stops at Moria. There's no way Guts can take down Balrog. Most powerful apostle Guts have ever fought can't be compared to Balrog. Not only is Balrog like 200 tons of muscles and a force of his single strike would kill Guts, but he is not your average brainless beast Guts usually fights. Balrog is an extreamly intelligent being, a skilled fighter himself and can use powerful magic like the words of power (he can command Guts to not move f.e. and if Guts isn't equally or above powerful being he can't even resist, and he isn't), he can conjure weapons out of dark fire, like a flame sword that DWARFS dragonslayer or flame whip which he uses with unreal precision and that gives him like 50 meters advantage of striking distance, and on top of all that he can fly and breathe fire, which basically means he can get out of Guts range easily and just spam fire storm until Guts is fried chicken. Guts moves out of Rivendell, enters Moria and dies. Sorry, but his Journey won't be long.

reikai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LotR is like a Tuesday afternoon for Guts.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1SR-WRcLU0k

thelocust619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By thelocust619

Guts can B-line for Mordor right through every army, Balrog, and angry tree dude without any real trouble...

...but Sarumon would quite literally wipe the floor with him. Guts has no answer to magical telekinesis. He's already been pwnd by this, in fact.

thelocust619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By thelocust619

@thoromdil: The Balrog encountered by Frodo was a relic of the past and a shadow of its former self. By movie feats it's not even above Zodd. The Dragonslayer's properties should allow him to damage it without trouble and fire isn't a problem at all.

reikai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By reikai

@thelocust619: Of course, the Godhand are also considerably more powerful than Sauron too. When talking actual appearances. Nvm that Sauron can't really compete physically anyway.

Thoromdil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thoromdil: The Balrog encountered by Frodo was a relic of the past and a shadow of its former self. By movie feats it's not even above Zodd. The Dragonslayer's properties should allow him to damage it without trouble and fire isn't a problem at all.

Balrog Frodo met was not a relic of the past or a shadow of it's former self. I don't know where did you get that bullshit from. Oh wait I do know. You made it up. Balrog is a maiar of fire, he doesn't age or go rusty, he is a demigod and can defeat any mortal within a second. Gandalf who is a demigod himself had to sacrifise himself and die to beat Balrog and allow the fellowship to go further. There's no way Guts is beating him.

Also, all the feats for Balrog I mentioned are valid, I was talking about a Balrog from Moria, not about some random Balrog from Silmarillion. The OP states specifically that it's the LotR universe, not the Jacksonverse, so movie Balrog can kiss my ass. Lotr universe Balrog kills Guts in seconds.

Thoromdil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reikai said:

LotR is like a Tuesday afternoon for Guts.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1SR-WRcLU0k

Yeah Guts who can't beat Zodd, who is literally a diet Balrog can clear LotR? Like I said above, he won't even get through Moria.

thelocust619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By thelocust619

@thoromdil: Lol the Balrogs were defeated. Durin's Bane was potentially the last of its kind and insinuated to no longer be at its peak, although the statement itself may have referred to the general balrog population at that point which was decimated. It would take a while to dig up the exact words right now, I'd have to even find the book.

"he is a demigod and can defeat any mortal within a second"

As for making things up, you're right on que. Yes, it's unlikely for a LOTR mortal to beat it, but no, it cannot beat any mortal in a second lol. While we're on the subject, your 200 ton claim is also a lie, they're only "twice as tall as an elf", which is WAY too small for it to be 200 tons.

Gandalf the Grey is physically trash and, in a physical regard, is inferior to Guts in every way except possibly stamina.

Beating Gandalf is not really a feat, either. The feats are falling off a cliff into water, fighting for days, then dying from a magic sword...none of that is an issue for Guts and...what do uk, he has a magic sword too. A much, much better one than Glamdring, one that he can use much, much better than Gandalf could use his. One that specifically kills magical or spiritual beings. Guts can literally one shot with a good hit.

Guts has resisted fire muktiple times with no difficulty, taken multiple blows from creatures that can punch straight through entire castles from basement to the roof, and has damaged a literal god(...hand) that exists outside causality. He has all the feats he needs, so I care very little for your attempts at passing Balrog descriptions for actual feats.

PS. Guts is replacing Frodo in OP, so Gandalf is actually there too...turning this victory into a curbstomp.

PPS. Nevermind, I was corrected.

MUVDCU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MUVDCU

@thelocust619: The OP says He's alone.

I think Guts can pass this just to be clear but just wanted to point that out.

thelocust619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By thelocust619

@foxerdes: I say trash relatively speaking...from that perspective, even pre-BA Guts is also trash here. I do that alot, so I understand it causing confusion. I'll ammend to say I don't mean he's worthless, just not enough to be very relevant here.

It could be an issue of interperetation or rusty memory (read it like 15 years ago), but I suppose I will have to begin digging for the statement I'm thinking of. Not today though, it's a holiday. Happy 4th

thelocust619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muvdcu: I missed that part and just saw he was traveling Frodo's path. That's mybad

JanJuKBMa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maiamaku: I am a great fan of LotR, I have read the books several times and I have also read the Silmarillion. Where was it stated that their weapons where specifically made to harm Morgoth and his servants? Yes, they are superhuman, yes their weapons are powerful, but they still have limits and are not invulnerable. Guts is also superhuman and has an extremely powerful weapon.

@thoromdil: When has Sauron ever destroyed someone with the flick of a finger or done something similar? How did you get the idea that a Balrog is anywhere close to 200 tons of muscle? The exact size was never stated in the book and the 7 to 8-meter movie version is definitely not even nearly that massive. Don't make numbers up just because you feel like it. Valar and Maiar have been injured by elves and men several times. Some Maiar were even defeated. There is even a prophecy that in the final battle for the world of LotR Morgoth himself will be defeated by a human. Yes, all of them were/are arguably superhuman but so is Guts. Why shouldn't he be able to do something similar? What has Sauron or any Balrog done, which puts them above Grunbeld in his giant diamond dragon form? Oh, and for Gut's enemies being brainless enemies: Give me a break, do you even read Berserk? The apostle are all originally humans, therefore just as intelligent as normal human beings. Some of them are/were leaders of men.

Overall I would like to add: I am a big fan of Lord of the Rings and Tolkien's other work. The LotR-trilogy is probably my overall favorite work of fiction, but I won't go full fanboy because of that and claim things I cannot back up. Maybe it could be claimed that Sauron can defeat Guts if we use all the implied strength in The Silmarillion, but going by actual feats Guts wins after a tough battle.

AbstractRaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AbstractRaze

@janjukbma said:

@abstractraze: What do you mean with "Guts won't even gain a melee position"? OP specifically said that Guts faces Sauron in his physical at the end of the journey. Elendil, Gil-galad and Isildur together beat Sauron. Númenóreans and Elves are arguably slightly super-human (esspecially 8-foot-Elendil), but Guts is definitely superhuman, so why shouldn't he be able to beat Sauron one on one?

My point is more simple than you think, Guts needs to stay at a close range to be efficient, since he's a swordsman, that's why I said 'melee position' since Sauron possess magic capable of repulsing 10 to 20 humans 10 to 30 meters away at the same time, it won't take much time till Guts has every single bone broken, yes he has a superhuman strength but with limitations, Guts won't exercise his swordsmanship, so simple as that, it's like running against a wall permanently.

easterlin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guts cannot most likely kill a Balrog so no he doesnt clear.

maiamaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@janjukbma: the same place it stated Pippen's blade was specifically made to kill the nazgul/witch king. The elves and the westernesse built weapons to fight the servants of morgoth. They were armed with said weapons when fighting servants of morgoth. These aren't kiddy regular swords, they were made by master craftsman of the first and second ages, and imbued with powerful enchantments to fight evil. Nowhere did I state they had no limits or were invulnerable. You seem to be implying that since three of the greatest heroes of their time backed up by an army and armed with magical weapons made specifically to fight evil managed to defeat sauron by successfully attacking his Achilles heel, guts can do the exact same thing. I personally disagree.

JanJuKBMa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@abstractraze: I see, good point, but That would still require Sauron to actually hit Guts, who has incredible speed and reaction time feats (for a human) even without the Berserker Armor. Moreover melee isn't guts only way of fighting. His crossbow won't do much against Sauron but his arm-canon should do some damage.

@maiamaku: I misunderstood you. To me it sounded like their weapons were some kind of kryptonite for the forces of evil. I never doubted that they had really powerful weapons but so has Guts. The Dragon Slayer isn't simply bigger and heavier. After killing lots of demons it can also hurt beings in the astral plane. Moreover there has to be some secret to it's hardness, otherwise it wouldn't have shattered a diamond dragon's body, but would have been dented instead.

@easterlin74: Why exactly can he not kill a balrog?

Avatar image for firestarlord73194
FireStarLord73194

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't know why people saying he loses to Sauron. That may be the case but Frodo never fought him thus this scenario would not come up. The biggest question is how would he fair against the ringwraiths

AbstractRaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By AbstractRaze

@janjukbma said:

@abstractraze: I see, good point, but That would still require Sauron to actually hit Guts, who has incredible speed and reaction time feats (for a human) even without the Berserker Armor. Moreover melee isn't guts only way of fighting. His crossbow won't do much against Sauron but his arm-canon should do some damage.

The thing is that Sauron doesn't really need to aim, since the repulsion magic is expressed as a shockwave, that's why I said it's like running against a wall, as long Guts comes near, Sauron would apply and apply it permanently before Guts applies his swordsmanship, armor doesn't really help against a shockwave alike effect and I mean, always falling from 10 meters high and 10 to 20 meters long over 50-80 times, Guts won't make it.

JanJuKBMa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@abstractraze: Sorry, but your reasoning includes a lot of assumptions. First, you don't know how big the effect of these shockwaves are and if they are really impossible to dodge. Second, If Sauron doesn't need to even make contact then why was he waving his mace around, actually hitting the soldiers? Third, how did Elendil and Gil-galad avoid Sauron's attacks, if they were impossible to avoid? Please don't say because they had powerful magic weapons, because that would include assumptions about their actual properties. Fourth, why exactly should Sauron be able to hit Guts 50-80 times without Guts being able to do something about it? Moreover, even if Sauron's attacks would be impossible for Guts to block or avoid, you still haven't adressed the arm-canon. Also the argument could be made that Guts is fast enough to attack and keep Sauron on the defence before the Maiar could even attack. Moreover my point with the armor wasn't that it would help against shockwaves, but that it increases Guts' strength and speed. And it actually would help against any kind of damage, since it holds Guts' body together when he gets injured.

AbstractRaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AbstractRaze

@janjukbma said:

@abstractraze: Sorry, but your reasoning includes a lot of assumptions. First, you don't know how big the effect of these shockwaves are and if they are really impossible to dodge. Second, If Sauron doesn't need to even make contact then why was he waving his mace around, actually hitting the soldiers? Third, how did Elendil and Gil-galad avoid Sauron's attacks, if they were impossible to avoid? Please don't say because they had powerful magic weapons, because that would include assumptions about their actual properties. Fourth, why exactly should Sauron be able to hit Guts 50-80 times without Guts being able to do something about it? Moreover, even if Sauron's attacks would be impossible for Guts to block or avoid, you still haven't adressed the arm-canon. Also the argument could be made that Guts is fast enough to attack and keep Sauron on the defence before the Maiar could even attack. Moreover my point with the armor wasn't that it would help against shockwaves, but that it increases Guts' strength and speed. And it actually would help against any kind of damage, since it holds Guts' body together when he gets injured.

You know where this is going, it's going in a mismatch, Elendil was hit by Sauron and Gil-galad can teleport that's the only reason why he could dodge Sauron, the shockwaves were enough strong to hit 10 to 15 soldiers in a semi-close range, the effect easily has a 180° effect within such range, Guts won't exercise his swordsmanship, so simple as that again, this is my final statement on the matchup, as long Guts doesn't possess a ranged battle option, Sauron takes it, therefore this is my last statement on the subject no matter if you agree or disagree.

D_AeroFlame_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hi, Guts Fanboy here. I have a few things that I feel should be said. Before people continue the debate, I'd like to give a few feats for ol' boy Guts. One of the most notable things I've seen is that he wouldn't be able to take on the Balrog. This is something I disagree with greatly. Not only has he taken on things that are simlar in size (it's stated that they're twice the size of Elves, who are around 6ft? At least that's the range in usual fantasy genres), which means they're around 12-13 feet tall. This is the best image I could find of Durin's Bane in comparison to Gandalf (Who is portrayed by Sir Ian McKellen, who is 5'11.)

No Caption Provided

He looks to be about twice as tall, which is in line with his race, lore wise. Then you have people like Wyald and Zodd. Wyald is, at least, relative to the Balrog in size, as Guts is stated to be around 6 foot and he looks to be about twice as twice as him, if not more so.

No Caption Provided

Pre Eclipse Guts, let alone BA Guts is able to defeated him pretty handily, and the only reason he didn'tkill him outright was because he was threatening to tear Griffith in half if he didn't stop attacking him. This gigantic beast of an Apostle was using Griffith as a human shield against a Pre Eclipse Guts due to the fact that he couldn't beat him. Now, note his size. Zodd, in his apostle form, absolutely towers over the both of them, and is likely one of the largest in the series.

No Caption Provided

Even Pre-Eclipse Guts was able to cleanly slice off one of Zodd's arms with Griffith's help and, post eclipse, pre BA, he was able to put up a decent fight against him, only losing when he tried to save Casca from a bunch of falling rocks and, even after taking a strike from the massive Zodd, he was capable of standing and looked ready to fight him even more. This, I think, gives him a good chance against the Balrog.

Also, I don't know if this is still an argument or not, but Guts has TK resistance feats. Schrieke, who is an extremely powerful mage, was able to get inside of his mind, sure, but his mind was so turbulent and powerful that she was limited to telepathy when he was in the Berserker Armor, and only by seeing Casca was he able to calm down enough for her to be allowed in. So if someone tries to TK him while he's using the Berserker Armor, they may risk succumbing to his mind, as she did.

reikai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@abstractraze: Guts does have multiple ranged options. Repeating wrist-crossbow, throwing knives, mini-bombs and, of course, the hand-cannon. But that's all really unnecessary anyway. While Sauron can swing his mace and knock 10 people through the air, he's not really killing all those guys doing that. Guts, on the other hand, can kill 5-10 people with very swing of his sword, and send their gory chunks flying.

Far as the pressure wave, Guts can create such as well with the sheer force of swinging his sword. He did much the same in the Battle for Doldrey against Boscone. The two of them were fighting so fiercely in the Manga, no one could get near them because the air pressure being generated by their clash was so strong, that anyone who got close would end up injured or dead. While the animated feature of the Golden Age didn't show it as much, it still displayed how strong Boscone was during that fight.

Loading Video...

Ultimately, Sauron doesn't have what it takes to keep Guts away, never mind compete in a straight up battle.

JanJuKBMa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@janjukbma said:

You know where this is going, it's going in a mismatch, Elendil was hit by Sauron and Gil-galad can teleport that's the only reason why he could dodge Sauron, the shockwaves were enough strong to hit 10 to 15 soldiers in a semi-close range, the effect easily has a 180° effect within such range, Guts won't exercise his swordsmanship, so simple as that again, this is my final statement on the matchup, as long Guts doesn't possess a ranged battle option, Sauron takes it, therefore this is my last statement on the subject no matter if you agree or disagree.

1. What the hell???

2. Did you even read what I wrote? Guts has canon in his arm!

Avatar image for westwood_trevor
Westwood_Trevor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOTR universe? Only Third Age then. He could stop at Balrog for obvious reasons.

Thoromdil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Thoromdil

@thelocust619 said:

@thoromdil: Lol the Balrogs were defeated. Durin's Bane was potentially the last of its kind and insinuated to no longer be at its peak, although the statement itself may have referred to the general balrog population at that point which was decimated. It would take a while to dig up the exact words right now, I'd have to even find the book.

When or how exactly was Durins Bane insinuated to be no longer at his peak? Like I said, he is a demigod spirit of fire, he doesn't need to exercise to stay in shape. There is a lot of proof that Balrog from Moria was one of the most powerful Balrogs in history and in perfect shape. Balrogs of the first age were defeated not by humans with gigantic swords, and not by any mortals. They were defeated in a battle of GODS. Valars literally infiltrated Morgoths fortress and killed the Balrogds. It took literal neigh-omnipotent GODS to defeat Balrogs. How the hell is that a factor here?

"he is a demigod and can defeat any mortal within a second"

As for making things up, you're right on que. Yes, it's unlikely for a LOTR mortal to beat it, but no, it cannot beat any mortal in a second lol. While we're on the subject, your 200 ton claim is also a lie, they're only "twice as tall as an elf", which is WAY too small for it to be 200 tons.

Twice as tall as an elf?!?!?? THE HELL are you talking about dude. Moria great halls were described as being HUNDREDS of feet tall rooms, and Balrog Gandalf fought, when he stood up and straightened his wings, he was described as if his stature filled the room all the way to the ceiling, and his wings all the space from one wall to another. Balrogs are GIGANTIC creatures, and even if there were smaller Balrogs in old days, the Balrog Gandalf fought was absolutely homogeneous.

Gandalf the Grey is physically trash

Yeah, he can fight and travel without food or rest for days without getting taxed by it one bit. He survived thousands of years of combat, fought a wizard superior to him, fought 5 nazgul at the same time, fought Sauron himself in Dol Guldur, fought the Witch King, and after all that he never had as much as a scar or a lost eye, or limb (yeah I went there) Gandalf is a beast. Just because an actor playing him in movies can't do backflips and portray Gandalf physicality properly doesn't mean the actual character we're talking about here is trash. We're talking about the lore of the books. Gandalf only had a FORM of a man. He was also a powerful spirit and his physicality was adjusted by his magic to his needs. He has fighting feats far exceeding Guts, even if he doesn't swing a gigantic sword around.

and, in a physical regard, is inferior to Guts in every way except possibly stamina.

Even if Gandalf lacks direct feats of speed and strength that Guts have, his actual fighting feats exceed his like I mentioned, because Gandalf uses magic, not physical strength to achieve most of his victories, and feats of his magic dwarfs anything Guts can do.

Beating Gandalf is not really a feat, either.

Finally back to the real subject.

The feats are falling off a cliff into water, fighting for days, then dying from a magic sword...

None actually really knows how Gandalf killed the Balrog, but my guess is it was magic, not sword, since it's pretty unlikely Gandalf still had it when he fell all the way down the way Jackson portrayed it. We only know they fell to the lowest dungeon of the underworld, then they climbed all the way to the top of highest mountain and battled there until both Balrog and Gandalf died, so it was basically a draw. Gandalf was simply brought back to life, and Balrog wasn't.

none of that is an issue for Guts

Magic is not issue for Guts? Yeah right. This guy has ZERO resistance against magic. He can barely control his own inner demon.

and...what do uk, he has a magic sword too. A much, much better one than Glamdring, one that he can use much, much better than Gandalf could use his. One that specifically kills magical or spiritual beings. Guts can literally one shot with a good hit.

Speculation.

Guts has resisted fire muktiple times with no difficulty, taken multiple blows from creatures that can punch straight through entire castles from basement to the roof, and has damaged a literal god(...hand) that exists outside causality.

He never hurt a god hand member. Guts only destroyed a physical form of slan when he fought her, she was fine in the astral plane. Not to mention Guts suffered the after effects of even trying to hurt her for months.

He has all the feats he needs,

No he doesn't. I'll prove it in a second.

so I care very little for your attempts at passing Balrog descriptions for actual feats.

I'll show you feats in a second too, then.

PS. Guts is replacing Frodo in OP, so Gandalf is actually there too...turning this victory into a curbstomp.

PPS. Nevermind, I was corrected.

Now, here's the feats. Guts CAN NOT defeat Zodd. I hope you agree. They have battled many times before, and Guts always either barely escapes alive, or is lucky enough to have a Skull Knight on his side at the moment who can actually take on Zodd. Either way, Guts CAN NOT defeat Zodd. And since Zodd is pretty similar to Balrog, I will compare them and prove you Balrog is far more powerful then Zodd, and therefore, Guts can't take him down. Easy analogy. Balrog > Zodd > Guts.

So here is comparison of Zodd and Balrog similar feats and abilities:

Round 1: Magical abilities and weapons:

Balrog: Balrog is an immensly powerful being, who uses shadow and flame magic, also referred to as dark fire magic. He has an incredible fear aura that makes all mortals around him paralyzed and unable to move. Entire fellowship of the ring was stunned by this aura and was unable to fight back. Legolas couldn't even shoot one arrow at Balrog, and only Gandalf's command forced them out of the spell and allowed them to keep moving. Balrog's magic also allows him to use the words of power, which can control other beings as long as they do not have enough magical power to challenge him. It was shown when Gandalf and Balrog first fought in the fight at the Gates, when Gandalf casted a word of power at the Hall Gates to not let Balrog pass ;) Balrog felt the spell being casted on the door and fought Gandalf back with the same spell. Although Gandalf's spell won the duel and Gate remained closed (Gandalf's magic was slightly more powerful) it proves Balrog can use words of power as well, and it is extremely effective against any humans or mortals, as they do not have their own magic to block or challenge it, and must obey the spell. Balrog can also conjure his own weapons from dark fire, like his whip and his sword, so if they are ever destroyed, he can remake them in seconds. Balrog also has the ability to fly, and to control both fire and shadow elements around him (he can breathe fire or surround himself with fire shield, he can control the darkness around him to cut off the light from his enemies or to make himself look bigger etc)

Zodd: He doesn't use any magical weapons or any weapons at all to be precise, while he is in his apostle form. The only magical powers Zodd really has is his transformation into apostle and flight. (I count his healing factor into durability section) Since we are talking about a transformed Zodd already, and Balrog also can fly, Zodd has basically no magic powers to challenge Balrog. Ouch.

Balrog >>>> Zod

Round 2: Fighting against massive force:

Balrog:

- When he was awaken by dwarves, he single handedly defeated entire dwarf army of Moria and took over their kingdom, despite it being the biggest and most powerful kingdom of the dwarfs to ever exist. He killed tens of thousands of dwarf fighters, all armed with mithril gear and killed Durin, the ancient king of dwarfs by himself as well.

Zodd:

- He is said to filled entire graveyeards during his battlefield appearances. He was never said to be fighting alone though, he was simply hired as a mercenary to join one or the other side on the field and was a terror in battle. We do not know if he can fight entire armies by himself, so far we never saw him fight more then 20+ warriors at the same time, so that would be his top feat. Hardly comparable to wiping out entire kingdom of fighters armed with magic metal weapons and gear.

Balrog > Zodd

Round 3: Physicality and direct feats of physical skill:

Balrog:

- As he's fought entire dwarf army on his own and didn't lose as much as a horn, obviously he is extremely durable and strong, to the point dwarf weapons can not hurt him at all. When he was falling down the void with Gandalf he survived a fall from possibly miles of heights without any damage, as he was able to get up and fight seconds later. (durability feat) He has massive size, as he is described to fill entire dwarf hall all the way to the ceiling while standing straight with his wings opened and has immense physical strength, as he can swiftly and with great agility control his massive body. During his first encounter against Gandalf (fight at the Gates) he tore open the massive Gates to dwarf hall, which was cursed by Gandalf to not open, and the sheer force of him forcing the Gates to open collapsed both the Hall he was in, and the pathway Gandalf was in. (strength feat) Later on he was described to be capable of casually jumping over the canyon filled with lava trolls were trying to cross by building a bridge over it, proving he is capable of leaping great distances without using his wings, despite his massive size. He is also a skilled fighter, wielding a sword and a whip and using them with great agility. While falling to his doom, was even capable of smacking Gandalf from the bridge by strangling and pulling his leg in a split second, showing how precise and deadly fighter he is, making fast decisions and controlling his weapons perfectly. (fighting skill feat)

Zodd:

- (durability feats) Zodd showed a great amount of durability during his fights against humans in Berserk. In his apostle form, arrows seem to be not more then an inconvenience to him, as they seem to be blocked by his thick fur. However, Zodd still can be hurt by regular metal weapons wielded by humans. Both young Guts and human Griffith were capable of harming him, even cutting off his hand with their swords when they first fought. Although Zodd has a healing factor that helps him heal superficial wounds and even reattach lost limbs, it does have it's limits, especially when fighting against powerful beings using magic (for example, he wasn't able to recover his lost horn after god-hand Griffith cut it off). Zodds durability, although still very impressive, is hardly comparable to Balrogs, if he can get his arm cut off by a human wielding a rapier, while Balrog can't be hurt by mithril weapons of entire armies of dwarfs and can survive a fall into a miles deep pit without a scratch. Balrog also wields powerful magic which I'll explain later on, which makes Zodd's healing factor a "non-factor" ;)

(strengt feats) surprisingly, Zodd's strength greatly varies from appearance to appearance. Sometimes he seems to be a casual 20 tonner (for example, when he broke through a castle walls and flew through the castle ceiling). Sometimes he will be seen fighting on par with Guts, who although peak human and massively strong, is still human. Anyway's Zodd's top strength feat, throwing people around aside, would be him punching through castle walls quite casually. However, this still can not be compared to collapsing an dwarf hall by pulling a door with one hand, which Balrog did when he first faced Gandalf.

(fighting skill feat) Zodd is an amazing fighter in his human form, however, in his apostle form that we are specifically talking about here, he doesn't use any weapons, but rather fights with his claws like a beast, tanking most of the damage like incoming arrows with his own durable body or blocking it with horns. In a fight of Balrog vs Zodd in apostle form, Balrog would be using weapons like his sword and whip, while Zodd would be using his claws, which would result in Balrog absolutely outclassing Zodd with his superior range and damage his weapons can cause.

Balrog > Zodd

There you go dude, I hope that's enough of an evidence for you. Zodd is basically a diet Balrog. Smaller, weaker, and without massive magic boosts. And Guts still can't beat him. Yeah. So much for Guts clearing Lotr. Like I said, he stops at Moria. That's all there is to it.

No Caption Provided

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

No Caption Provided

thelocust619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@d_aeroflame_z: TK is telekinesis, not telepathy. Guts cant deal with that.

thelocust619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By thelocust619

@thoromdil: Idk where you got any sort of idea of exercise mattering, I never said that. I understand Balrogs are magical, so you can chill. I'll get back to this part as I said above. Moving forward, the rest is readily available:

"The following excerpt is from page 194 in "The Book of Lost Tales II", as edited by Christopher Tolkien:

Twice as tall as an elf: "Then Glorfindel's left hand sought a dirk, and this he thrust up that it pierced the Balrog's belly nigh his own face (for that demon was double his stature)..."

And fit on only half a slender 50 foot bridge (Gandalf was in the middle). GG, hundred foot tall Balrog arguement: “The outer door could only be reached by a slender bridge of stone, without kerb or rail, that spanned the chasm with one curving spring of fifty feet.”

Nothing you listed for Gandalf is even above armorless Guts...the guy who reacted to supersonic attacks, blitzes into a window that a man is leaning out of so fast he couldn't be seen, regularly cleaves as many as 4 men at once in a single swing, fights demons literally every night...all pre-BA. In fact, those Gandalf feats are piss poor tbh. I'm not even gonna list h2h skill feats because Guts simply has too many to count, far more than Gandalf and it's laughable to even suggest he's half the fighter Guts is based on what you provided. "Nurr, he beat trolls and DB grabbed his ankle so fast cuz skill!" As if that's even worth the words you used to type it. Just read Berserk.

Idk why you keep mentioning DB broke Gandalf's word...Guts doesn't use magic. Irrelevant.

You are speculating, we are shown it was killed with a sword. Beyond that, the fact Gandalf used it at all shows it had value. There is no speculation in Guts one shotting: he's cleaved creatures larger and more durable, and his sword works on astral beings. A Balrog is exactly that. In fact, Guts eventually overrode both Slan and Griffith's far stronger, causality-based glamour effects, so a mere fear aura won't be any issue at all...especially considering that scaring Guts only pisses him off more.

Guts wasn't hurt from attacking Slan, he was hurt from being attacked lmao. His sword worked as intended, he tagged a being that could not conventionally be tagged. A being much greater than Durin's Bane, btw, avatar or not.

It's total speculation to say Guts can't beat Zodd as of current. They stalemated in their second battle (pre BA) until Griffith decided to bounce, and they teamed up the second time. There's nothing to say current Guts has no chance.

Smashing a gate is fodder to punching through an entire castle while flying...this is common sense. Zodd is also well larger than the canon size of the Balrog. Zodd was also never beat by a fighter with insignificant h2h feats compared to Guts, like DB was. Zodd>Balrog in all but magic and mortality. If u want DB to use offensive magic beyond useless fire weapons, show me Durin's Bane using offensive magic. If not, this is a melee fight.

JanJuKBMa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thoromdil: Why the entire discussion about Balrog vs Zodd? Even if a Balrog beats Zodd by feats, No Balrog has done anything to put it above Grunbeld in his apostle form. Neither has Sauron.

@the_locust: While I agree that Guts is phyically superior to Gandalf, calling him physically trash is simply wrong.

reikai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By reikai

@thoromdil:

No Caption Provided

Guts is super-sonic. Human-form Zodd can match him. All your hyperbole is meaningless before actual facts. Even if a Balrog was bigger than Zodd, it's meaningless. Zodd has better actual feats, more actual combative skill, the ability to reattach and heal his limbs, and strong enough that he could literally bulldoze through a castle's structure if he so chose.

Loading Video...

easterlin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@janjukbma: Because Balrog is a maiar/demigod and cannot be killed by mortals. Gandalf had to use his divine powers to defeat him and he also died during this hard battle. At best it would be stalemate with Guts. Who knows maybe later in series he could do it but as it is now he cannot simly kill an ancient demigod. Yes Guts can kill spirits but that doesn't give him ability to kill a Balrog because its on completely another level.

JanJuKBMa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@easterlin74: If it really were true that Maiar cannot be killed by mortals, then why didn't Gandalf fight the battle of Helms Deep all by himself? Why didn't he kill 10,000 Uruks on his own?

Godren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guts should be able to clear.Then he will sit with some orcs and enjoy a big mug of grog.

Educated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Educated

Guts clears with the only close matchup being Sauron. I feel this would be much closer if we were using a Hobbit version of Guts...

easterlin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@janjukbma: You dont know the lore about Gandalf? Hes powers are restricted by Iluvatar and against threat like Balrog he had to use more of his power. He is not allowed to interfere too much thats why he is nerfed/doesnt want to use his full power. Balrog was special case because there was no other way. Gandalf with full powers would probably solo whole middle earth during LotR.

easterlin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By easterlin74

Also Ring Wraiths are a threat because he cannot kill them either. Also he will most likely be corrupted by the ring if hes travelling alone. If that happens its gg. No one has ever been able to resist the ring for long time. Gandalf didnt want to even touch it and eventually Frodo was corrupted too. Without Sam and Gollum Frodo would have failed.

iwasbornintheusa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@easterlin74: I doubt Guts would be corrupted by the ring, he resists his own inner darkness and demons constantly trying to corrupt him daily, and his hate for the demonic would be enough for him to know the ring is nothing but bad news.

@foxerdes: I can't remember Sauron having any significant feats in SoM, but if they keep the fight fair I don't see why not.

Also, edited the OP slightly

JanJuKBMa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@easterlin74: I know that Gandalf wasn't allowed to use his full power, at least as Gandalf the Grey. Gandalf the White however must have been close to his true power, otherwise he wouldn't have fought Sauron in to a standstill in their long distance battle from the plateau in Fangorn. Moreover in the prophesied battle Dagor Dagorath, the overall final battle, Morgoth (a Valar, far more powerful than any version of Gandalf) will be killed by Turin, a human. Again, Maiar and Valar have been challanged by mortals again and again, They are not completely immortal. They are not gods, demigods at best. The only undefeatable, truly immortal being in Tolkien's work is Iluvatar. And even if mortals wouldn't be able to kill Maiar, that doesn't mean, they cannot be knocked out or so heavily injured that they are down for a limited time. Going by your logic a maiar could defeat Superman, simply because he is a technically a mortal and not a god.