GoT: Arya Stark vs Syrio Forel

#1 Posted by BladeOfFury (3460 posts) - - Show Bio

Arya has needle, Syrio has a rapier. Morals off, fight to the death or incap.

Did the student surpass the master?

#2 Posted by nfactor1995 (13077 posts) - - Show Bio

I doubt it. Would back Syrio both based on feats and in universe portrayal.

Avatar image for diarrhearegatta
#3 Posted by DiarrheaRegatta (7101 posts) - - Show Bio

To be honest, Arya would stomp

#4 Posted by JediXMan (42894 posts) - - Show Bio

Hard to say, honestly. Neither one have legitimate feats 1v1 against a noteworthy opponent. Syrio was killed off screen by Meryn, Arya matched Brienne in a a sparring match.

#5 Posted by SocaJunkie (9199 posts) - - Show Bio

If he had a sword I doubt he would have lost to Meryn f****** Trant. Still, matching Brienne is much better. Arya wins.

#6 Posted by the_red_viper (12868 posts) - - Show Bio

Syrio was more impressive, I don't hold Arya's small spar with Brienne to very high regard tbh.

#7 Edited by buildhare (8824 posts) - - Show Bio

Arya is a Mary Sue but her abilities being an asspull doesn't mean she's not going to stomp here. Somehow this was phrased as a negative;

Syrio was killed off screen by Meryn, Arya matched Brienne in a a sparring match.

When all it does is succinctly highlight exactly why this fight has an obvious winner.

#8 Posted by RBT (29486 posts) - - Show Bio

Arya

#10 Posted by CuckedCurry (1023 posts) - - Show Bio

Syrio

I doubt she would even defeat the water dancer from the Meerenese pit

#11 Posted by eri123 (3234 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

Hard to say, honestly. Neither one have legitimate feats 1v1 against a noteworthy opponent. Syrio was killed off screen by Meryn, Arya matched Brienne in a a sparring match.

#12 Posted by JediXMan (42894 posts) - - Show Bio

Arya is a Mary Sue but her abilities being an asspull doesn't mean she's not going to stomp here. Somehow this was phrased as a negative;

Syrio was killed off screen by Meryn, Arya matched Brienne in a a sparring match.

When all it does is succinctly highlight exactly why this fight has an obvious winner.

No it doesn't. Arya was trying, Brienne was not,. Arya was using live sharpened steel, Brienne was not. It's not a legitimate feat.

#13 Posted by buildhare (8824 posts) - - Show Bio
@jedixman said:
@buildhare said:

No it doesn't. Arya was trying, Brienne was not,. Arya was using live sharpened steel, Brienne was not. It's not a legitimate feat.

Pretty obvious she was trying given she literally punted Arya. It's as clear cut a feat as we're gonna get in GoT. I don't think you're capable of looking at Arya's showings objectively if you can't recognize how silly the statement "Arya matched Brienne in a sparring match, Syrio was killed off screen by Meryn Trant" is when arguing this is close. Even if you want to use another showing from Arya i.e Darth Mauling some wights she comes out looking a lot better.

I dislike the character too, that is not an excuse to be this biased honestly.

#14 Posted by from_beyond (968 posts) - - Show Bio

Syrio stomps.

#15 Posted by The_Titan_Lord (9502 posts) - - Show Bio

Toss coin.

#16 Posted by Amcu (17252 posts) - - Show Bio

Arya.

#17 Posted by rogueshadow (29497 posts) - - Show Bio

Arya solos Braavos.

#18 Posted by The_Magister (14735 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Posted by green_skaar (12686 posts) - - Show Bio

Syrio clowns her

#20 Edited by JediXMan (42894 posts) - - Show Bio

@buildhare:

The fight is worthless. It's a sparring match, nothing more. And Brienne won the duel portion of their fight. Nobody takes it seriously and it's rather puzzling that you do.

I like how you're go to assumption is that I'm bias a d that I don't like the character. This is false; I like Arya and being rather objective. So take your ad hominems somewhere else if that's all the argumentation you're capable of.

#21 Posted by buildhare (8824 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman:

The fight is worthless. It's a sparring match, nothing more.

Sparring matches aren't instantly invalidated purely because they aren't trying to kill each other in other verses, there's no reason this should be different. Even if that were true the whole kicking her Liege lady like a football would invalidate this criticism.

And Brienne won the duel portion of their fight.

They had basically the most definitive stalemate sword fighters can have. Brienne tries and successfully grapples Arya (pretty sure this is your issue here, you think grappling a fighter who has a 0% chance of escaping you and your next blow is evidence of Brienne holding back, when it reality it makes complete sense for her to just reach out and grab Arya rather than commit all the energy of a swing), Arya switches blade hands and both have a blade to the others throat. That you think Brienne outright won is why believe you're basing your opinions on bias here.

I like how you're go to assumption is that I'm bias a d that I don't like the character. This is false; I like Arya and being rather objective. So take your ad hominems somewhere else if that's all the argumentation you're capable of.

As above.

Nobody takes it seriously and it's rather puzzling that you do.

Multiple people in this thread already think she wins, I have no idea how you can be this set on ignoring Arya's abilities. She has long threads vs other fighters, several of which have her winning (i.e vs Bronn) based purely on her showing against Brienne. Clearly far more people take it seriously than you want to believe.