Full Page Scan Policy

• 131 results
#101 Edited by zgtfreak (2317 posts) - - Show Bio

@majinblackheart: Sounds like you are oblivious to the rule in the first place. I suggest you check out the site rules for any others you have missed.

I signed up for Vine specifically for the Battle Forum. I read only the Battle Forum rules mostly due to this because I logically assumed that all the rules I needed to know are in the Battle Forum rules, as that is pretty much the only part of this site I use.

You do not have to remove cropped images from your gallery and as I have noted, deleting them from the gallery is not ideal as the site bug is not fixed as we were all led to believe.

But if you do fix said bug, then the rule will be enforced.

It may surprise you, but this rule wasn't made with you or any other single user in mind. It is a legal issue. I will also point out that before every scan in the universe was available on the internet, debating was done with words and very few scans.

Just because it was done before doesn't make it right. Scans aren't needed much if both people are knowledgeable about the two series being pitted against each other; but what about asking for some feats of a character you don't know about so you can properly compare it with yours? Someone could just say that their street level character is a galaxy buster and make up things that never happened, or post very few scans with little to no context.

As for the legal side of things... didn't you say that you've had little to no legal issues thus far? You'd think that you'd enforce this rule if you were currently having problems, and use this to back out of said problems if needed. I understand not posting entire chapters; but individual pages being limited is excessive to say the least.

Also I'd like to point out that this rule makes no sense when it comes to Visual Novels. You applied it to VNs, despite VNs not having "full pages" of anything; just a line of dialogue in a box or on the screen. 3 full pages per chapter doesn't work on most VNs either, as either the chapters are too absurdly long to make this rule feasible, or they are VNs that don't even use chapters and separate their story with arcs only. So what? 3 full page (box of text) per arc since there are no chapters? Hell, some VNs don't even have arcs, but are just one very long running story. So what? 3 full pages (box of text) per series? This rule fundamentally fails with almost every VN.

Absolutely nothing. It's called the freedom of the internet. I happen to find other forums unreadable and hideous.

Vine does indeed have the nicest looking format (along with the most efficient), but I definitely wouldn't call other sites unreadable.

Because two debaters just got banned and their entire debate history is basically ruined. The rule was not being interpreted correctly. I would like to prevent that if possible. The rule is clear now. I don't want to hear from the next user who gets hit that it wasn't.

Rules like these need to be put in the Battle Forum rules thread, as people like me tend to think that all you need to know about Battle Forum rules is in the Battle Forum rules. Why would I read the rules of other threads/places on this site and think that they would apply to the Battle Forum when they aren't specifically in the Battle Forum rules? You seem to separate general rules from forum specific rules, and put specific forum rules in each respective forum; but a lot of people just assume that every rule they need to know for the forum they are in (I.E. Battle Forum in my case) are all in the rules of that forum specifically; thus they do not read the rules anywhere outside of the specific forum they are in (Battle Forum in my case). I think you need to point out more to read the main Vine rules, or put it in a section of every forum specific rules thread (put the main Vine rules under a spoiler tag in order to prevent repetitiveness to the people who have already read them). The rule I read in the Battle Forum rules was extremely vague and seemed more like a request than anything. "Keep scans to a minimum." What is the minimum? You see what I mean? lol It's the same problem like when how entire verses Vs. entire verses were banned, but now composite character in said verse also applies under this rule magically without it ever actually being in the original rules thread. Thanos just started snapping threads without even telling anyone why until I pointed it out to him. You guys need to be more thorough not just on the issue in this thread here, but overall period.

Also please tell me that you unbanned those 2 people...

#102 Posted by Lan_Fan (16926 posts) - - Show Bio

@majinblackheart:

Because two debaters just got banned and their entire debate history is basically ruined.

Who?

Avatar image for majinblackheart
#103 Posted by MajinBlackheart (9796 posts) - - Show Bio

That's what we call a webcomic/webtoon. While they are posted for free online, that doesn't necessarily mean the creators want their work reproduced or redistributed elsewhere. It is still copyrighted material.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for diarrhearegatta
#104 Edited by DiarrheaRegatta (6978 posts) - - Show Bio

@lan_fan said:

@majinblackheart:

Because two debaters just got banned and their entire debate history is basically ruined.

Who?

Blackspidey2099 and Thedailybagel from my knowledge

Both dudes were banned for past posts and it was completely rubbish how they were banned in the first place.

#105 Posted by Lan_Fan (16926 posts) - - Show Bio

@diarrhearegatta: Whaaaaaa!? I like reading their posts. That's unfair, almost every has full page scan in their gallery.

#106 Posted by MajinBlackheart (9796 posts) - - Show Bio

@zgtfreak:

I signed up for Vine specifically for the Battle Forum. I read only the Battle Forum rules mostly due to this because I logically assumed that all the rules I needed to know are in the Battle Forum rules, as that is pretty much the only part of this site I use.

You assumed incorrectly. The battle forum rules mention that the forum rules need to be followed and since the battle forum is a forum, forum rules should be followed.

But if you do fix said bug, then the rule will be enforced.

The rule is being enforced without this bug being fixed. I mention in the OP and throughout the thread that the third option is not an ideal solution to following the rule.

Rules like these need to be put in the Battle Forum rules thread, as people like me tend to think that all you need to know about Battle Forum rules is in the Battle Forum rules.

It's there now. That's part of the purpose of me making this thread and clarifying this rule in the first place.

Why would I read the rules of other threads/places on this site and think that they would apply to the Battle Forum when they aren't specifically in the Battle Forum rules?

Because you agreed to them when you made an account. Reading the general forum rules on a forum is kind of expected. Additionally, ignorance of the rules isn't a very good excuse to not follow them. They are pinned to the forums.

The rule I read in the Battle Forum rules was extremely vague and seemed more like a request than anything.

Partially covered already but I'd say this should all be pretty clear now, no?

Also please tell me that you unbanned those 2 people...

No. I did everything I could and failed. That's why I made this thread.

#107 Posted by MajinBlackheart (9796 posts) - - Show Bio

@zgtfreak: This is more of a battle forum mod thing but I'll address for them:

It's the same problem like when how entire verses Vs. entire verses were banned, but now composite character in said verse also applies under this rule magically without it ever actually being in the original rules thread.

This is common sense. A composite character is every character in the universe. (It's also a character that doesn't exist so that's breaking a different rule). We only have to amend the rules when people try to bypass them with this type of nonsense.

#108 Posted by Lan_Fan (16926 posts) - - Show Bio

@diarrhearegatta: From what I see they're not permabanned. I can still post on their wall.

#109 Edited by zgtfreak (2317 posts) - - Show Bio

@majinblackheart: You assumed incorrectly. The battle forum rules mention that the forum rules need to be followed and since the battle forum is a forum, forum rules should be followed.

Then the general rules also need to be put in a section of the Battle Forum to make it easier.

The rule is being enforced without this bug being fixed. I mention in the OP and throughout the thread that the third option is not an ideal solution to following the rule.

Then that goes back to my first point...

It's there now. That's part of the purpose of me making this thread and clarifying this rule in the first place.

I understand that; but I'm saying that the mods need to tidy up their rules with more details in the first place in order to avoid this.

Because you agreed to them when you made an account. Reading the general forum rules on a forum is kind of expected. Additionally, ignorance of the rules isn't a very good excuse to not follow them. They are pinned to the forums.

Pinned to forums that some of us never even have clicked on.

Partially covered already but I'd say this should all be pretty clear now, no?

It's clear now. I'm saying that the mod who made the original thread should've done better on multiple things in the first place.

This is common sense. A composite character is every character in the universe. (It's also a character that doesn't exist so that's breaking a different rule). We only have to amend the rules when people try to bypass them with this type of nonsense.

Everyone did it without getting their threads locked for years until recently; which merely causes confusion because not only did the rules not state it, but anyone who did it never got their thread locked until recently. Poor management. As for composite not being an existing character... composite characters that don't consist of an entire verse are still not locked to this very day, despite them not being "real." So are you going to start locking all composite threads? (FYI, I don't consider this derailing since all of this pertains to rules and mod management.)

No. I did everything I could and failed. That's why I made this thread.

You failed at unbanning someone? You're a mod though... Can't you simply press a button or something, like reactivate account? Or is it that the majority of mods are overruling you? If so, then that's pathetic of them.

Edit: I'd like you to get back to me on that VN related part of this rule if you have the time...

#110 Posted by DiarrheaRegatta (6978 posts) - - Show Bio

@lan_fan said:

@diarrhearegatta: From what I see they're not permabanned. I can still post on their wall.

They aren't permabanned, but they basically not allowed to post (in BS's case) and TDB has been posting again but lost ALL of his scans In the process, and he's been debating on the Vine for 4+ years.

It's really sad that things have got to this point, but well, that's how it is.

#111 Posted by Lan_Fan (16926 posts) - - Show Bio

@diarrhearegatta: So BS is like karma banned forever? That's insane. On TDB's case, I don't think losing scans on Comic Vine is that bad.

#112 Posted by DiarrheaRegatta (6978 posts) - - Show Bio

@lan_fan said:

@diarrhearegatta: So BS is like karma banned forever? That's insane.

It really is. Me and a few other people have been trying some things to help BS, so we'll see what happens.

On TDB's case, I don't think losing scans on Comic Vine is that bad.

Usually it isn't, but there are some nasty side effects to it-

A. TDB didn't have most of it saved anywhere due to his hard drive, so he lost a ton of scans that he got over the years.

B. Any CaV that had a deleted scan on it? It comes up as a ugly, blank space, ruining entire posts in some threads. This is like a LA CaV having a bunch of GIF's removed- the result is complete destruction of that person's work, which is why I've been so annoyed by the indifferent behaviour of some of the mods on this case. This is a person's reward for years of commitment? gtfo to anyone who thinks that's fair.

#113 Edited by FaradaySloth (11211 posts) - - Show Bio

@majinblackheart said:

So why care now of all times to enforce this rule?

Because two debaters just got banned and their entire debate history is basically ruined. The rule was not being interpreted correctly. I would like to prevent that if possible. The rule is clear now. I don't want to hear from the next user who gets hit that it wasn't.

If you don't mind me asking, who were these two debaters?

Nevermind, the question got answered later in the thread.

#114 Posted by Lan_Fan (16926 posts) - - Show Bio

@diarrhearegatta: Btw, whose decision was it to ban BS?

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about its effect on our forum posts. Yeah, that sucks :(

#115 Posted by DiarrheaRegatta (6978 posts) - - Show Bio

@lan_fan: I can't say who it was, but I will say that the first answer that comes to your head is the right one, if you know what I mean.

#116 Posted by FaradaySloth (11211 posts) - - Show Bio

If there ever was a need for the Bleach anime to return, now would be the time.

#117 Posted by Lan_Fan (16926 posts) - - Show Bio

@diarrhearegatta: Is it Renchamp? Relax, lol. Mentioning mods, or questioning their decisions isn't breaking the rules

#118 Posted by Mercy_ (94928 posts) - - Show Bio

Surprised it took this long for there to be a crackdown on this specific issue tbh.

#119 Posted by DiarrheaRegatta (6978 posts) - - Show Bio

@mercy_ said:

Surprised it took this long for there to be a crackdown on this specific issue tbh.

Tbh, I wouldn't call this a "crackdown" considering most of the mods still don't care or follow this specific ruling anyway.

#120 Posted by Mercy_ (94928 posts) - - Show Bio

@mercy_ said:

Tbh, I wouldn't call this a "crackdown" considering most of the mods still don't care or follow this specific ruling anyway.

I would say it's a crackdown considering two people were banned over it and this thread reads as if a mod's argument was unable to reverse that.

There are rules in the forums that can be almost entirely up to a mod's discretion on enforcement but when staff points out to specific rules and ensures enforcement of them and there are tangible consequences right away, sure does seem like a crackdown.

#121 Posted by DiarrheaRegatta (6978 posts) - - Show Bio

@mercy_ said:
@diarrhearegatta said:
@mercy_ said:

I would say it's a crackdown considering two people were banned over it and this thread reads as if a mod's argument was unable to reverse that.

Tbh, one is now unbanned but lost most of his scans, and the other is currently being discussed. Believe me when I say that the mod is trying everything to reverse the decision.

There are rules in the forums that can be almost entirely up to a mod's discretion on enforcement but when staff points out to specific rules and ensures enforcement of them and there are tangible consequences right away, sure does seem like a crackdown.

Staff aren't the ones enforcing the rule. In actual fact, the current situation comes from below them.

#122 Posted by Mercy_ (94928 posts) - - Show Bio

@diarrhearegatta: That's great news, thank you for the info.

....then I'm a little surprised to see this enforced with such veracity but I gave up my mod forum privileges and inside track quite some time ago lol

#123 Edited by DiarrheaRegatta (6978 posts) - - Show Bio

@mercy_: Yeah, there's been a lot of activity over the rule, hopefully it can get sorted out soon.

Nice to see you are still around, anyway.

#124 Posted by Mercy_ (94928 posts) - - Show Bio

@diarrhearegatta: I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Hey thanks! I just looked and next year is my ten year vineversary which seems ridiculous.

#125 Posted by TheWatcherKing (18737 posts) - - Show Bio

@lan_fan said:

@diarrhearegatta: Is it Renchamp? Relax, lol. Mentioning mods, or questioning their decisions isn't breaking the rules

Yep

#126 Posted by TheWatcherKing (18737 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

I'd like to stress that everyone should crop images rather than post full pages scans. Most feats can be ascertained by looking at a few panels, not entire pages.

I know it sucks, but it is what it is.

This is almost never the case in debating manga tbh, and only true sometimes with comics.

#127 Posted by MajinBlackheart (9796 posts) - - Show Bio

@mercy_: !!!!!!!!!!

No Caption Provided

I wish this reunion was in a thread with different circumstances

#128 Posted by FaradaySloth (11211 posts) - - Show Bio

@majinblackheart: Question: Let's say, I was doing a List, like, for example, "Top Ten *blah blah blah*" That involved showing full scan pages, would this be acceptable?

#129 Posted by MajinBlackheart (9796 posts) - - Show Bio

@faradaysloth: The rule is no full page scans in your gallery. It does not have to be a battle.

#130 Posted by TheDead77 (83 posts) - - Show Bio

@higherpower said:

This rule is going to kill the site faster than whatever "legal authority" is responsible for its creation.

#131 Posted by LogicLancer (842 posts) - - Show Bio
#132 Edited by LogicLancer (842 posts) - - Show Bio

@majinblackheart: Is the fixing in progress? I'm fine if there's no error for method 3, but otherwise, this rule is extremely disturbing.

#133 Posted by ovy7 (3451 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would visual novels be included in the ban but not games? Visual novels are games, they are a genre of games the same way RPGs, FPS, or point-and-click are. Uploading a screenshot from a VN is exactly like uploading a screenshot/gif from a game like Witcher 3, for example, so I don't get why they would get included along with comics and manga in the scan ban.