Full Page Scan Policy

• 140 results
Avatar image for majinblackheart
#1 Edited by MajinBlackheart (9882 posts) - - Show Bio

Time to live up to my name.

The Rule

In general, do not upload/post full page scans. As Comic Vine rises in popularity, so does its scrutiny by the comic companies.

Exceptions:

1. Reporting news - (Typically reserved for Staff)

2. Reviews - When the scan serves as an example for the review

3. Commentary - Actually addressing the merits of the scan's composition

4. Research - Probably not applicable to our site

5. Express permission/license - (Also typically reserved for Staff)

6. Images from comics/manga in the public domain

To be safe, stick to reducing a scan down to a panel. This has not caused much of a problem. (Besides, we don't want to see the panel of Batman smacking Robin go away.)

Due to the legal nature of this rule, please don't try to get cute and exploit/try to find loopholes or justify using a full page scan when one isn't necessary. Mods will delete abuse and give out warnings where appropriate.

Battles: An argument can be made that battles are a form of research. This is very weak. But, as scans are a part of the culture of battles, Comic Vine will allow up to three pages of full page scans per issue to show feats and context for a point of debate. (Note: We would prefer the use of panels.) "Pictures or it didn't happen" needs to stop. The days of showing half a comic because of a battle sequence are over. If someone does not agree that a certain feat went down as argued then up to three scans can be used (if panels are insufficient) as evidence. This is not to say that if three scans cannot adequately show the point then the claim is false, it just means that everyone needs to find the book and find out for themselves. Sides of debates do not always have the same information and it is up to the civil debaters to find out for themselves the validity of another's statement. This rule extends to Respect threads and CaV tournaments.

Previews: Do not think that you can repost preview pages just because a company gives our site access. Preview pages are licensed to specific sites. Comic Vine is granted permission to post early pages of upcoming books; you are not granted that permission. If you want to show off a preview then make a link to the preview. This goes for previews exclusive to other sites. We do not have permission to repost the scans. Provide a link if you want to showcase scans for a preview on another site.

It should go without saying that you may not post full issues to Comic Vine -- not even to your personal gallery. These should be deleted.

Policy/Purpose/Clarification

Remember that this rule is legal in nature. This has nothing to do with the complaint of users scan-bombing. The law technically says that no full page scans should be used. There is no right to reproduction if the copyright owner has not given permission. Battles have been a part of Comic Vine for a long time; we have gone this long without intense scrutiny. However, it would be naive to think that this will last forever. We have had some complaints already from comic companies. The site is willing to stick its neck out for three full page scans.

Manga is covered by this rule. Just because foreign companies have not pursued infringement in the past does not mean that we can ignore their rights. This goes for webcomics, too. The caveat is if the publisher/owner has given permission to reproduce the content. Rare, but it happens when people truly want their work out.

The argument that using scans promotes picking up new books holds no water. That is a great side effect of sharing comics, but it is not an exemption for potential copyright issues.

A workaround is by posting links to external photo/scan sites. We don't have any control over that. We just don't want the full scans on our site. Also, links to videos of the full comics are against the rules, as that is akin to linking to a pirated copy.

We understand that people will be sensitive to this new and supposedly harsh rule. We just want to make sure that Comic Vine is able to continue operating without much interference from outside (legal) forces.

Before you start complaining, this rule has been in place since 2015.

This rule can be found on the Site Rules & FAQ, which is pinned to the forums, under #23:

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/gen-discussion-1/site-rules-and-faqs-669033/

It is also referenced in the Battle Forum Rules that these general forum rules are to be followed (although after today this will be posted directly to that thread as well):

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/battles-7/battle-forum-rules-30-all-users-read-1767034/

The original announcement and discussion thread can be found here:

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/battles-7/updated-clarified-new-images-scans-rule-1623136/

Further Clarification

As of late, it seems there is great confusion over the rule still and it has cost a select few dearly. So I will sum it up very simply:

FULL PAGE SCANS ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BE UPLOADED TO YOUR GALLERY

That means any and all. There are no exceptions. The three scan limit for battle forums, respect threads and regular discussion is for forum posts only.

When the rule was created, images were able to be posted to the forums without being in a user’s gallery. Some update or glitch changed this. As of recently, this glitch has been repaired and images do not need to be in your gallery to still remain in your original post.

Dragging and dropping an image to your post willstill upload the image to your gallery.

So before the despair sets in, let me assure you that there are quite a few simple ways to avoid breaking this rule.

What You Can Do

Cropping Scans

This is by far the easiest way to comply with the rules and still maintain your posting style and take advantage of CV’s awesome format. Crop panels from the scan or cut the page in half. This is super simple to do with basic programs (such as MS Paint) and really takes very little time. And I’m old so you should have no problem.

To be honest, good debaters should already be cropping scans anyway to be concise and to keep the readers engaged and only seeing what is necessary in the scans. You don’t need the three panels of Aunt May wondering where Peter is with her pills.

I’ve already seen a few who think trimming an inch or so off the edge counts as cropping a full page scan. While this is a good try, this is still not acceptable.

So what if the scan can’t be cropped?

Image Hosting

While not exactly ideal, image hosting sites can be linked to show full page scans. As they are not posted to our galleries or our forums, you can even exceed the three scan limit. Image hosting sites include sites like imgur, Flickr, Google, etc.

HOWEVER, don’t get too excessive and abuse this. We still have piracy rules in place so do not post entire issues or even entire tales (such as shorts or back-up stories). That’s basically the meat and potatoes of why we can’t do this.

Need something even easier?

Delete the Images

As previously stated, the image issue has been resolved. You can simply delete the images from your gallery and they will still remain in your post. When you’ve finished your post, simply remove the full page scans from your gallery.

You must still follow the three scan rule however, which shouldn’t be a problem as that seems to be at least the one part everyone understood from this rule. Post up to three scans (per issue) and remove them from your gallery.

DISCLAIMER: This is still not completely fixed. Standalone images will appear as if the image is broken. Stacked images will still show thumbnails, but when clicked they look like broken images. The images only appear when opened in a new tab. Due to this, I do not consider this a valuable method to maintain your post integrity and follow the rule simultaneously. I'm still looking into possible ways to bypass this or get it repaired.

Conclusion

I expect a lot of flak and I hate that it is me that has to do this, but I will be enforcing this as should the other mods. I honestly do this out of love for both the site and its community. I want the site to prosper and the users to not have to worry about being banned and all their hard work lost for something that is so easy to fix.

It is not out of the realm of possibility that this rule could change, but due to its legal nature a lot more needs to be determined and it could take quite some time, so this is what we have. Regardless of the ‘why’, this is a site rule and should be followed like any other.

Sing my praises below.

No Caption Provided

#3 Edited by Supermanthor (22700 posts) - - Show Bio

@majinblackheart: are you considering this thread to be pinned ?

Edit = you already did

#4 Posted by Supermanthor (22700 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by MajinBlackheart (9882 posts) - - Show Bio

@majinblackheart: Is there any rules about posting fan arts ?

Fan art can be requested to be taken down by the original artist. There's no rules regarding fan art on the forum or your gallery so long as thy follow the general site image rules (example nudity). I personally hate fan art in the wiki galleries but I do not believe that is against the rules either.

#6 Posted by Supermanthor (22700 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by RBT (29874 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by MajinBlackheart (9882 posts) - - Show Bio

@rbt said:

@blackspidey2099 Take notes.

Everyone take note because almost everyone is guilty of doing this.

#9 Posted by ANTHP2000 (30288 posts) - - Show Bio

@majinblackheart:

You should burn for this.

Seriously though, could we post 4 scans from a comic-book in one post without them being a series of scans, like one battle sequence, ie. for a RT when an issue has 4 different feats in different parts, does the rule apply to this too?

#10 Posted by Chronicplane (9510 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Edited by ourmanuel (12997 posts) - - Show Bio

Ahhh yes. I can see it now.

Those companies coming after a debating site for nerds because I posted a full page from the naruto manga.

#12 Edited by Just_Banter (12418 posts) - - Show Bio

If it's for legal reasons and manga isn't exempt due to the potential of the companies coming for CV even though there is no current threat, are there also rules in place for quotes from novels, gifs from LA, cartoons, and anime, and scans from visual novels, or do we still largely have free reign (within reason) when it comes to those?

#13 Edited by Toratorn (8258 posts) - - Show Bio

Delete the Images

As previously stated, the image issue has been resolved. You can simply delete the images from your gallery and they will still remain in your post. When you’ve finished your post, simply remove the full page scans from your gallery.

Let's check if this is true.

No Caption Provided

EDIT: looks like it works. Good.

EDIT-2: it doesn't work now. Bad.

On the other hand, how the hell am I supposed to delete years worth of full page scans already in my gallery if this shitty site doesn't even have the "delete all" button?

#14 Edited by ANTHP2000 (30288 posts) - - Show Bio

@toratorn: We'd all be banned by now if we had to delete all of the full page scans in our galleries lol. I think they're more reasonable than that. This rule didn't become a big deal until recently.

#15 Posted by Pipxeroth (9703 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I don't know about anyone else but this only lasted for a few minutes

No Caption Provided

Great site guys

#16 Posted by MajinBlackheart (9882 posts) - - Show Bio

@majinblackheart: Is there any rules about posting gifs?

No, no restrictions whatsoever.

If it's for legal reasons and manga isn't exempt due to the potential of the companies coming for CV even though there is no current threat, are there also rules in place for quotes from novels, gifs from LA, cartoons, and anime, and scans from visual novels, or do we still largely have free reign (within reason) when it comes to those?

Scans from a visual novel, if that novel is copyrighted material, would also apply. Quotes do not.

#17 Edited by MajinBlackheart (9882 posts) - - Show Bio

@toratorn:

@pipxeroth said:

Well I don't know about anyone else but this only lasted for a few minutes

No Caption Provided

Great site guys

Yes, deleting your entire gallery is not a simple task which is part of why I made this announcement. Not even staff has an easy way to do it.

And yes, I'm noticing stand alone images might look like above, but when you click them the image is still there. Obviously this is still not ideal but it when you attack images the thumbnails still appear. I'll check this out more when I get to a computer.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2
These images are not in my gallery

#19 Posted by MajinBlackheart (9882 posts) - - Show Bio

@toratorn: We'd all be banned by now if we had to delete all of the full page scans in our galleries lol. I think they're more reasonable than that. This rule didn't become a big deal until recently.

This is why I am making this announcement. I have requested we be "grandfathered" in for this but I was declined. The reason being we we're we're already grandfathered in when the rule was made four and a half years ago.

That's means if you continue to post full page scans you draw attention to yourself and end up banned. I don't want anyone banned. I honestly don't know how to handle the recent past and I'm still thinking on how to address it alternatively without doing what is being done now: you get banned until you clear your gallery of full page scans.

I manually erased a user gallery last night. It took me about 45 minutes per 1,000 images. Staff has told me they would do it for a user or two, but not more because it is just as time consuming for them it would seem. I can't sit and do this for everyone either. I'm putting in a request to make this easier but things don't often happen fast.

#20 Edited by MajinBlackheart (9882 posts) - - Show Bio

@majinblackheart: Just so I can definitely know I'm getting this right, does the full scan thing only apply to the gallery, or am I misinterpreting this & it applies to everything?

It only applies to your gallery, however the three page for a single comic/manga still applies to your forum posts. So just because it's not in your gallery doesn't mean you can post a ten page fight between Thanos and Odin. You can however link to a image hosting site with that same fight.

#21 Posted by Destinyishere (258 posts) - - Show Bio

Ahhh yes. I can see it now.

Those companies coming after a debating site for nerds because I posted a full page from the naruto manga a Batman comic.

^^

Tbf though, I have to give my thanks to the great Majin..Hear me, and rejoice. You have had the privilege of being saved by the Great Majin. You may think this is suffering. No... it is salvation. Universal galleries tip toward balance because of your sacrifice. Smile, scans.. for even in death, you have become children of Majin.

#22 Edited by Chronicplane (9510 posts) - - Show Bio

@majinblackheart: So If I’m getting this right for battle forums we are still allowed to upload 3 full scans so long as they are not in our gallery correct. And let’s say for manga I post 3 scans of a fight at chapter 333 and then post another 3 scans on the same post from the same manga but for chapter 334. They would both be treated as different right, an in each treated as 3 so it’s not going over the scan limits?

#23 Posted by The_Kidd (12524 posts) - - Show Bio

"Comicvine rise in popularity", "Staff". What year is this?

Seriously though wasn't this rule already in effect?

#24 Posted by ANTHP2000 (30288 posts) - - Show Bio

@majinblackheart:

Yeah I understand that. We shouldn't draw attention to ourselves.

And BTW, big thank you for doing this.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
#25 Posted by AllStarSuperman (43733 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_kidd said:

Lol right. The part that got me was previews, we haven’t had one of those since like.....pre Batman v Superman times.

The new enforcement of the rule isnt such a bad thing for me though, Renchamp personally went after me a while ago so I had already cleaned my gallery.

#26 Edited by Pipxeroth (9703 posts) - - Show Bio

@majinblackheart:

And yes, I'm noticing stand alone images might look like above, but when you click them the image is still there. Obviously this is still not ideal but it when you attack images the thumbnails still appear.

I'm aware of that but this is how it's always been... is this not the bug that you said in the OP has been repaired? Clearly it hasn't. Now the image seems to stick around for a short amount of time after being deleted but goes away after that. Either that or there's something other than time that causes the image to disappear. I'll test a few things.

No Caption Provided

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3

Edit: testing what happens if I upload a new image to a post already past 1 hour (1 hour 25 mins at the time of this edit)

No Caption Provided

#27 Posted by ANTHP2000 (30288 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Posted by MajinBlackheart (9882 posts) - - Show Bio

@majinblackheart:

You should burn for this.

Seriously though, could we post 4 scans from a comic-book in one post without them being a series of scans, like one battle sequence, ie. for a RT when an issue has 4 different feats in different parts, does the rule apply to this too?

I missed this one. That is technically against the rule. However, if nothing is citied and nothing is in your gallery then there should be no issue. Without a citation it would be impossible to tell if they were from the same issue without that specific knowledge and some the site isn't hosting the images you would most likely not be scrutinized. Key words are might though so it would be best to avoid this or use cropped scans.

I will note here that I consider a two page spread to be one page, as it's intended in the books themselves so in a way you can skate four scans technically. Example:

Technically two pages but meant to be one image
Technically two pages but meant to be one image

#29 Posted by MajinBlackheart (9882 posts) - - Show Bio

@majinblackheart: So If I’m getting this right for battle forums we are still allowed to upload 3 full scans so long as they are not in our gallery correct. And let’s say for manga I post 3 scans of a fight at chapter 333 and then post another 3 scans on the same post from the same manga but for chapter 334. They would both be treated as different right, an in each treated as 3 so it’s not going over the scan limits?

You are correct. For all intents and purposes, a manga chapter is equal to a comic issue.

@the_kidd said:

The rule was written in 2015, lol. But still, just because those things are no longer true :( it doesn't mean that the rules are negated.

Here I would also like to point out that I did not author the original rule nor did I have any input into it's creation.

#30 Posted by MajinBlackheart (9882 posts) - - Show Bio

@majinblackheart:

And yes, I'm noticing stand alone images might look like above, but when you click them the image is still there. Obviously this is still not ideal but it when you attack images the thumbnails still appear.

I'm aware of that but this is how it's always been... is this not the bug that you said in the OP has been repaired? Clearly it hasn't. Now the image seems to stick around for a short amount of time after being deleted but goes away after that. Either that or there's something other than time that causes the image to disappear. I'll test a few things.

I was told it was fixed and tested it myself last night, but the image disappearing after x amount of time has passed is a new revelation. Recently, if they weren't in your gallery they would all look broken even stacked ones. So at least that is fixed.

I appreciate your help testing and please keep me up to date on any realizations you make. It would be cool if this spoiler block solved it that's for sure.

#31 Posted by jashro44 (54798 posts) - - Show Bio

@majinblackheart: @pipxeroth:It does seem images vanish but they can still be viewed by opening them in a new tab. Toratorn's image is an image of Thing saying "What?!?"

#32 Posted by MajinBlackheart (9882 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44: They work for me just clicking on them like normal. At least on mobile.

#33 Edited by TheWatcherKing (18883 posts) - - Show Bio

And now debating on CV just got a little bit more tedious.

Perfect.

#34 Edited by Pipxeroth (9703 posts) - - Show Bio

@majinblackheart: Well the test was a success; after exactly one hour after posting every image in the post that is not in the gallery is deleted. To clarify, I deleted the full sized image as soon as I posted, then after 20 minutes deleted the first of the small images, then after 30 minutes deleted the remaining ones. All of them stayed in the post until exactly one hour where all of them disappeared at the same time. I also tested logging out, restarting the browser and restarting the PC but it had no effect.

I'm now testing editing an image in after the 1 hour mark. My prediction is that it will either be removed when the post reaches 2 hours, or won't be removed at all.

@jashro44

It does seem images vanish but they can still be viewed by opening them in a new tab.

Yes but this is how it has always been. That's the glitch being referred to in the OP: "As of recently, this glitch has been repaired and images do not need to be in your gallery to still remain in your original post." The glitch was not repaired, the only thing they achieved was change the image from instantly disappearing in the post to disappearing 1 hour after posting. So much for that.

#35 Posted by 1kingjerry (848 posts) - - Show Bio

R.I.P Comic Debating on this site

#36 Posted by MajinBlackheart (9882 posts) - - Show Bio

@pipxeroth: Just last week the stacked images would disappear like that too. Now they don't so that is part of the fix.

R.I.P Comic Debating on this site

I know, I remember when everyone stopped debating four and a half years ago and the site died too.

No Caption Provided

#37 Posted by Pipxeroth (9703 posts) - - Show Bio

@majinblackheart: What do you mean? The stacked images I posted disappeared at the 1 hour mark along with the full sized image

#38 Posted by MajinBlackheart (9882 posts) - - Show Bio

@pipxeroth: I honestly don't understand now. You can see mine are still there.

Another example would be any of TDB's posts in this debate. I deleted his entire gallery and the only images affected in his post were the standalone ones.

I'll have to keep checking and see if I can get any insight or assistance from the engineers. Or maybe pika since he's a wizard.

This frustrates and saddens me

#39 Posted by Pipxeroth (9703 posts) - - Show Bio

@majinblackheart: How did you put the images into your post, exactly? Did you upload from Desktop or paste the URL? Also did you put them in when you first posted or in an edit?

#40 Posted by MajinBlackheart (9882 posts) - - Show Bio

@pipxeroth: they were uploaded to my gallery then posted to the thread. I haven't added any images as an edit in this thread.

#41 Edited by jashro44 (54798 posts) - - Show Bio

@pipxeroth: they were uploaded to my gallery then posted to the thread. I haven't added any images as an edit in this thread.

Maybe its the browser?

#42 Posted by MajinBlackheart (9882 posts) - - Show Bio

I use chrome

#43 Edited by Pipxeroth (9703 posts) - - Show Bio

Alright going to test some more

From desktop:

No Caption Provided

From URL:

No Caption Provided

Copy-paste from another post:

Strange Tales (1987) #7
Strange Tales (1987) #7
Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3
Amazing Spider-Man (1999) #58

Posted from previous uploads:

No Caption Provided

Edited in before removing any images from gallery:

No Caption Provided

Edited in after removing the above images from gallery:

No Caption Provided

In other news I appear to have significant trouble with trying to edit images into my post, as it keeps uploading them into the new post box below this. But I suppose that's an issue for another day.

#44 Posted by Pipxeroth (9703 posts) - - Show Bio

I use firefox, but just to check here's an upload using chrome:

#45 Posted by FaradaySloth (11854 posts) - - Show Bio

Time to make your English Teachers proud and start writing some essays with citations links.

#46 Posted by Jucaslucasa (193 posts) - - Show Bio

Book debaters be like,

No Caption Provided

#47 Edited by Jucaslucasa (193 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously though, while I can probably do it fine with this account, I don't see how people with thousands of images uploaded could ever delete so many scans.

Edit: Also, don't know if it's just me, but the gallery here always felt slow as hell to load.

#49 Posted by Streak619 (8358 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, just another test;

No Caption Provided

Previous uploads

#50 Edited by HitTheAssasin (8758 posts) - - Show Bio

@majinblackheart: Does this mean we have to delete every single one of the thousands of none cropped scans in our galleries from CaV's, battle threads and the like?