Ethan Hunt vs Grant Ward

• 44 results
#1 Edited by The_Magister (15190 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

1. Pure hand to hand combat. Morals off.
  2. Shootout, both get a pistol
  3. Who's the better spy?

BTW, I highly recommend that everyone watches Fallout. It's so good.

#2 Edited by JSDoctor (1724 posts) - - Show Bio

The_Magister marked this as the best answer

@the_magister:Don't remember much of Hunt pre-Fallout so can't really say. From what I do remember though, Ward has better standalone feats in each individual category (accuracy, draw speed, rate of fire etc) whereas I think that Hunt's cleared some crazier overall scenarios. Which is pretty much what you'd expect comparing a TV character with a couple of seasons of feats to a character from a limited number of high-budget films. It suggests that Ward may be more technically refined, but Hunt could integrate those skills together in a more effective way. Won't give a verdict though as my memory of M:I 1-5 is a bit spotty.

#3 Posted by TonyMartial (10318 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_magister: Do I have to watch the old ones to understand fallout?

#5 Posted by rogueshadow (29601 posts) - - Show Bio

@tonymartial: Not at all.

I'd say that goes for every MI film, you could start anywhere and not be lost at all.

As to the battle, my gut says Ward but I'm not that familiar with Ethan's feats, nor have I seen Fallout.

#6 Posted by KingOfWakanda (3380 posts) - - Show Bio

@tonymartial: Seeing the previous installments would help you understand the plot a little better, specifically III and V. But you can still enjoy going in cold. Just know the characters have history.

As far as the fight, minor Fallout spoilers:

Hunt was getting handled by "John Lark" in the bathroom scene and needed to be rescued.

I'm backing Ward. Hunt can hold his own in a fight, but H2H isn't a specialty of his. Hunt's specialty is pulling crazy and spectacular stunts no one in their right mind would do. Anything to complete the mission.

#7 Edited by TonyMartial (10318 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks guys, I'll give it a watch this week.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf470b432518
#8 Posted by deactivated-5bf470b432518 (5801 posts) - - Show Bio

Fallout was awesome.

OT-Ward stomps.

#9 Posted by JSDoctor (1724 posts) - - Show Bio

Fallout was great, and Hunt did impress me with his technique in the bathroom fight, but I don't think that he has feats to put him on this level yet (unless I'm forgetting something from the earlier films.) As has been mentioned above, his specialty isn't combat but the ridiculous stunts that he pulls off on a regular basis.

#11 Posted by PayneInTheAss (12898 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_magister: Why would you pit your favorite character against Ethan? lol

Surely Ward would win, he is on a comic-booky level, too much for Hunt combat wise

BTW, I´m doing a respect thread for Ethan, first time I do one, I´ll tag you once is done.

#13 Posted by King-Ragnar (5175 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't Grant Ward supposed like in the MCU top 5 fighters or something?

#14 Posted by Super_ninja (3712 posts) - - Show Bio

Ethan.

#15 Posted by Paytience (5340 posts) - - Show Bio

@king-ragnar: ...yeah.

Basically: Bobbi Morse, Melinda May, Grant Ward, Natasha Romanov, Daisy Johnson...everyone else.

Hawkeye and DD.

#16 Posted by jayskee (5014 posts) - - Show Bio

Ward

Avatar image for celestialknight
#17 Posted by CelestialKnight (1547 posts) - - Show Bio

Grant Ward but make this Ward vs John Lark decoy and it'd be much closer.

#18 Posted by TheTruthIII (3316 posts) - - Show Bio

Grant Ward absolutely fodderizes Ethan, the latter's best feats consist of beating down random street mooks one at a time. The few occassions Ethan meets with an adversary who can actually fight he gets the shite kicked out of him (see; bathroom)

#20 Posted by tparks (11807 posts) - - Show Bio

Ward should be quite a bit better in a straight fight. This wouldn’t be too hard of a win for him IMO.

#23 Posted by Daisy_Johnson (1466 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends which era of which character fights. Ethan Hunt in his prime (MI: II) would destroy Ward in his prime. His endurance, stamina, fighting skills, and deception was too good and it's hard to make an argument for Ward on this one. He had insane feats in that movie. I think MI: III would be a fair match between the two. I'd back ward slightly in 6/10. The rest of the MI films I would give Ward the vast majority in any fight. Ethan's combat skills certainly declined with age.

#25 Posted by assemblesquad (3320 posts) - - Show Bio

@daisy_johnson: MI: II Ethan has that Black Widow agility and martial arts moves that I seen.

#26 Posted by ANTHP2000 (31130 posts) - - Show Bio

@daisy_johnson: Interesting take. I honestly thought his hand to hand in particular got more refined with age. Excellent analysis, Ms. Johnson.

Yes, additional experience doesn't always mean that much when it's juxtaposed to the quality drop in physical ability.

#28 Posted by TonyMartial (10318 posts) - - Show Bio

Ward would beat him H2H but I can see Ethan edging out a shootout

#29 Posted by ANTHP2000 (31130 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Posted by assemblesquad (3320 posts) - - Show Bio
#32 Edited by The_Magister (15190 posts) - - Show Bio

@jsdoctor: What do you think of a gunfight/shootout?

#34 Posted by ANTHP2000 (31130 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_magister: I feel like it could go either way. Honestly I might lean towards Ethan if Ward's not allowed to close in. His quickdraw is insane.

#35 Edited by The_Magister (15190 posts) - - Show Bio

@anthp2000: Nice - how do you think their precision/overall gunplay compares?

And how about espionage?

#36 Edited by ANTHP2000 (31130 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_magister: That's where I think he edges out Ward, I remember him shooting down a high speed plane with an AR type arm - this level of accuracy against moving targets comes in handy in combat, even though I think Ward is more technically knowledgeable in firearms. Ward has the edge in draw speed, but I think Ethan compares so he could take it at range.

edit: Ward is absolutely a better spy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1d6494661e3
#37 Posted by deactivated-5d1d6494661e3 (98 posts) - - Show Bio

Ward wins the H2H round. Don't remember enough about Ethan's gunplay and spy feats to definitively answer who wins the other rounds.

#39 Posted by The_Magister (15190 posts) - - Show Bio
#40 Posted by Paytience (5340 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_magister: The last one I watched had Thandi Newton in it...so like, not any time recently. lol.

#41 Posted by Daywalker88 (311 posts) - - Show Bio

Hunt wins with guns and Ward beats him in h2h In a great fight. Hunt would make a hell of a shield agent

#42 Posted by The_Magister (15190 posts) - - Show Bio
#43 Edited by Paytience (5340 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_magister: Maybe one day. Although, holy saint scalps at remembering Thandi Newton's name outta nowhere.

I feel like I get edge points for that...

...He types as Pandora kicks an Evanescence song on. No shit that just happened.

I'm deleting this app for seriously mocking my glib. Asshole music app.

#46 Posted by The_Magister (15190 posts) - - Show Bio
#47 Posted by KingOfWakanda (3380 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_magister: Both are close. I'm thinking gunfight would be a slight edge to Ward. Better accuracy from what I can recall.

Espionage both are great. For Ward to be a successful double agent for so many years is impressive. Ruthlessness should also be a factor, as Ethan's good heartedness has gotten him into some tough spots (he's always getting disavowed lol) I just don't know if he'd be able to pull off some of the crazier stuff Ethan has. I'll give a slight edge to Ethan.

#48 Posted by Subline (9544 posts) - - Show Bio

Grant Ward all rounds, Ethan isn't impressive to me.

#49 Posted by The_Magister (15190 posts) - - Show Bio