Doctor Strange, Sorcerer Supreme

No Caption Provided

Thanos, The Mad Titan

No Caption Provided

Rules

• Random encounter
  • Win by KO or Death
  • Standard power levels for Thanos
  • All feats with standard gear for Strange (minus any obvious amps)
  • Start 100m apart on an unpopulated planet

Round 1: Morals on

Round 2: Morals off, bloodlusted

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

hasnt this been done multiple times?

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@all-father: I couldn't find any under these same conditions.

tj849

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Thanos

Cull_Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanos always wins

Lord_Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dr. Strange.

His atomic/transmutation powers as well as other spells worked on the likes of Dormammu, sure as hell it would work on Thanos. Just stop time and do some crazy stuff.

HellionVulcan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Dr. Strange.

His atomic/transmutation powers as well as other spells worked on the likes of Dormammu, sure as hell it would work on Thanos. Just stop time and do some crazy stuff.

Current Thanos is a beast as he tanked a planetary explosion and a blackhole so at best i see a stalemate.

Theanalyser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Strange via bfr

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Theanalyser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theanalyser: Win is via KO or Death, not BFR.

Well if it is current thanos he stomps, any other version wins after a good fight

Cull_Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lord_spectrum: Thanos like all eternals has control of their atomic structure and he is the most powerful of them all , also he is very resistant to reality warping and matter manipulation

And to address your time argument, thanos brute forced his way out of a temporal time loopb, imposed by Adam warlock who was the supreme heart of reality

coolang4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanos neg diff.

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dr. Strange wins.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Strange

cosmic_reign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanos

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0845740eb0b
deactivated-5b0845740eb0b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lord_Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Lord_Spectrum

@hellionvulcan said:
@lord_spectrum said:

Dr. Strange.

Current Thanos is a beast as he tanked a planetary explosion and a blackhole so at best i see a stalemate.

Tanking planet busting is nothing special for someone on Thanos' caliber we both know that, but then again Dr. Strange can cast spells that can harm Dormammu, who is well above Thanos.

And on top of that Strange has loads of HAX, from time stop to tansmuation, which even worked on Dormammu, so it will work on Thanos.

@cull_obsidian said:

@lord_spectrum: Thanos like all eternals has control of their atomic structure and he is the most powerful of them all , also he is very resistant to reality warping and matter manipulation

And to address your time argument, thanos brute forced his way out of a temporal time loopb, imposed by Adam warlock who was the supreme heart of reality

Just because Eternals can control their atomic structure doesn't mean they can resist high-tier transmutation, each Eternal has different level of control, for example Zuras is the most powerful among Earth's Eternals (he is around as powerful as Zeus), yet his atomic control is below that of Sersi, Sersi is level 5, Zuras is level 4, and Sersi is somewhat below Surfer in that art, so being more powerful doesn't mean better control.

Also Thanos didn't really train in art of atomic manip. that much, just basic stuff like immortality, regeneration and etc... he specifically trained to enhance his physical attributes same as Hyperion, who is also Eternal, and i doubt anyone would argue he has atomic resistance.

Plus let's be real here, Dr. Strange affected freaking Dormammu with his atomic manipulation , if Dormammu had hard time against it, then Thanos has no chance against it. Also he was able to reverse Beyonder's reality warp in one place, Strange is a beast when it comes to art of atomic manipulation.

Also Thanos doesn't have consistent resistance against it, he was disintegrated by bomb of Rocket Racoon IIRC, he survived due to being the avatar of death and not being able to die, which is not the case here.

As for temporal time loop, while it is impressive it is very much different than time stop, during time stop Thanos wouldn't be able to move, because he is not fast enough nor has any time powers to counter Strange.

Cull_Obsidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lord_spectrum: For clarity is this classic strange or current ?

Not so familiar on classic but I know he would give him way more trouble then current

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#22 owie  Moderator

I think Strange ought to win. His magic is not something Thanos normally has to deal with, it's more complicated and more creative than just blasting, he can manipulate him in space and time, and do all kinds of weird stuff. And he can get power from occult sources enough to occasionally (albeit not regularly) to fight In-betweener-level foes. Plus, while this gives Strange his normal artifacts, if he felt the need to go get more, he has plenty at hand back at the Sanctum (when he is at full Sorcerer Supreme level) that he could probably just warp in to his aid. Check out this battle against Warlock with the Infinity Gauntlet (which I will say straight up is bad writing, but does give some artifacts' powers).

Lord_Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cull_obsidian:

For clarity is this classic strange or current ?

Same character, there was no retcon done to him.

It was outright stated that Classic and Current (pre-empirikull/depowered) are the same one, except some age difference.

No Caption Provided

But anyways the Dormammu feat as well as some other time feats were done post-2000, just saying.

Not so familiar on classic but I know he would give him way more trouble then current

Same character.

Plus Strange has too much HAX for Thanos. He can drain his soul, create anti-matter shields which upon contanct can disintegrate anything (real science, duh), can become intagible (thus makin all physical and energy attacks useless) and yada yada, the guy's powers are pretty much endless.

Nima_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Strange has what it takes to win. I think if they did duke it out, I can also see Thanos pulling some shit out of his purple ass that he's built an immunity to most sorcerery from years of studying and meditation, and in turn, winning.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanos has no hope of getting past any shields Strange erects, shields capable of surviving a planet exploding, a supernova, the big bang, and even forces capable of tearing apart multiple dimensions. Conversely, Strange's magic can definitely affect Thanos seeing as how it's worked on far more powerful entities like Nightmare and Dormammu. Besides sheer feats of operating on another level than Thanos, there's also direct evidence of Strange being above Thanos such as when Strange easily defeated a Thanosii that by Thanos' own admission rivals his own power (Infinity Abyss #5):

Or when he casually broke off a fight between Thanos, Surfer, Hulk, and Firelord (Silver Surfer Vol. 3 #59):

No Caption Provided

Also, Strange already knows of a realm where Thanos' powers don't work that he sent him to in the past to fight Silver Surfer on equal grounds (Silver Surfer Vol. 3 #59):

No Caption Provided

He can just relocate the fight there and stomp him.

Lord_Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wastelandman:

To be fair Thanos' powersource has changed, he has now power of many dead old gods (which is pretty much also magic), so honestly BFRing him into different dimension to make him powerless might not work.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wastelandman:

To be fair Thanos' powersource has changed, he has now power of many dead old gods (which is pretty much also magic), so honestly BFRing him into different dimension to make him powerless might not work.

Is that from his new series? I thought he was just given his powers back by the witches not that his power source changed. When was it said he obtained their power?

Avatar image for masterskywalker
MasterSkywalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This should be good

destinyman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dr Strange is above Thanos with his artifacts, and magic had. Thanks has crazy power but nothing the doc can't handle

mr-luxcipher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Round 1. Thanos.

Round 2. Dr. Strange.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I think Thanos wins, Strange has some crazy feats but he doesn´t consistently perform at that level, at least not that I know, I could be wrong though, I don´t consider myself too knowledgeable on Stephen, I think this would be a closer match if you gave him the "Black Priest" amp.

GrImuS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That Thanos artwork is bad ass

Avatar image for thebestofthebest
ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm leaning toward Thanos.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By BlessedbyHorus

@hellionvulcan said:
@lord_spectrum said:

Dr. Strange.

When was this? I been out of the loop when it comes to comics.

Anyways going with Thanos. Strange has been defeated by much weaker people than Thanos.

RR79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This one is a tough one for me as I love both characters and they can both be extremely powerful. I would say under normal conditions Thanos should win, but if Strange can channel some of the "creatures" like Zom or any of them really, that would make it an extremely difficult fight for Thanos.

Kingant27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanos we would think operates at a higher level, however Strange has the has abilities too tide it in his favour.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By WastelandMan

@thor_parker82 said:

I think Thanos wins, Strange has some crazy feats but he doesn´t consistently perform at that level, at least not that I know, I could be wrong though, I don´t consider myself too knowledgeable on Stephen, I think this would be a closer match if you gave him the "Black Priest" amp.

When he's Sorcerer Supreme he does. A lot of the lower end feats are when Strange is depowered which is hard for people to tell for people who don't know the context.

@king_stranglehold_da_first said:

Strange has been defeated by much weaker people than Thanos.

Like who? Strange's basic rogues gallery includes entities like Nightmare, Dormammu, Umar, and Shuma-Gorath. I.E. all characters far more powerful than Thanos.

DrPepperMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Strange is too much of a glass canon to win.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Strange is too much of a glass canon to win.

Strange has autoshields that have protected him from the Hulk and even a Thanosii stated to be 5x stronger than the original.

Avatar image for supremeintelligence
supremeintelligence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

strange

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wastelandman:

He has been taken down by people much weaker than those you mentioned. IIRC the Sentry one shotted him and the Ghost Rider too. There have been some way below the people you mentioned giving him hard times. I'll check for scans. The fact is Strange's showings have been INCONSISTENT even if he is the same as the classic version. Thanos showings in comparison have been consistent where he is a "trans level" i.e a level between skyfather and herald.

NOOBKILLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

a very good close fight but thanos eventually overpowers him

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By WastelandMan

@wastelandman:

He has been taken down by people much weaker than those you mentioned. IIRC the Sentry one shotted him

Never happened.

Sentry hit him once but Strange was completely fine. Strange wasn't even trying to fight him.

Ghost Rider too

It was Zarathos not Ghost Rider and Zarathos is massively more powerful than Thanos.

There have been some way below the people you mentioned giving him hard times. I'll check for scans. The fact is Strange's showings have been INCONSISTENT even if he is the same as the classic version. Thanos showings in comparison have been consistent where he is a "trans level" i.e a level between skyfather and herald.

What I don't think you realize is that Strange has been depowered multiple times and most of his low showing were from those instances. At full power, Strange battles people well above Thanos regularly. If you think I'm wrong then it should be easy to provide plenty of instances of a full powered Strange losing to people well below Thanos at full power.

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wastelandman:

I'm NOT saying you're wrong. I'm actually quite interested to hear how current Strange=Classic Strange in terms of power level. Because I been on this forum since 2009 and NO ONE thus far as shown me solid proof that Strange has been depowered(but NOT retconned). Maybe you can change that and finally put my curiosity to rest?

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By WastelandMan

@wastelandman:

I'm NOT saying you're wrong. I'm actually quite interested to hear how current Strange=Classic Strange in terms of power level. Because I been on this forum since 2009 and NO ONE thus far as shown me solid proof that Strange has been depowered(but NOT retconned). Maybe you can change that and finally put my curiosity to rest?

When Strange has been depowered it's actually extremely obvious if you read the stories especially the most recent stories. Most instances where he's depowered is when he doesn't hold the title of Sorcerer Supreme which reduces his powers significantly:

No Caption Provided

In fact by Strange's own admission, the power of the Sorcerer Supreme makes up most of his power:

No Caption Provided

Strange has lost the title on multiple occasions but the longest periods were around 1992 - 1995 and from 2009 - 2012. In his most recent stories Strange has been depowered again but not from loosing the title but after the events of the Last Days of Magic story arc where most of the magic in the Marvel multiverse was destroyed and Strange can barely cast any spells and relies almost entirely on mystical trinkets and bobbles as Strange explains here:

No Caption Provided

BlessedbyHorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By BlessedbyHorus
Destroyerx5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Destroyerx5

strange stomps that purple fagit

Lord_Spectrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is that from his new series? I thought he was just given his powers back by the witches not that his power source changed. When was it said he obtained their power?

I think this scan more or less explains it all. Witches explain that they hold the power of dead ancient gods in The God Quarry, and if Thanos wants to get it, he needs to pass the test.

No Caption Provided

So now Thanos has the power of old gods, and we know how magical they are. :D

jrupert1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By jrupert1

@wastelandman: In that second scan he still technically held the title of Sorcerer Supreme (until he relinquished it to Salome a bit later), albeit essentially just in name (but he even refers to himself as such). That was after he incited the emancipation incantation where he lost all his power save for that from within by breaking from all the principalities. So there in affect he lost the boon it afforded him by the Vishanti (oddly enough Salome didn't immediately receive their boon when she took the title). It's what he did (which cut him off) that he is referring to, not just the power increase of Sorcerer Supreme.

Also worth noting is the iffy situation regarding the increase in power he received from the Ancient One after his magical powers were released (after his ego was destroyed by Strange), since it's not from the principalities and it's not completely tied to him being Sorcerer Supreme, but it seemed to have been stripped from him too. But yeah, he has had an extensive history of having his power weakened one way or another that most people aren't aware of. Heck from that point on he wouldn't be back to full form for the rest of the series... his last solo series (until now), where from there due to the nature of his appearances and the ever changing hands of writers he'd become more inconsistent in this time frame than the whole of his history before that. But that's a whole other subject we wont get into. haha.

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By WastelandMan

@lord_spectrum:

Yeah that was the instance I refered to. I thought the witches just restored his old powers not gave him new ones.