User Lists: 3

Avatar image for thetruebarryallen
TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

@thetruebarryallen: I knew you were putting a lot of work into this, but the thread still blew me away. Probably the best guide on the site - it's at least in the running. Awesome job.

Thanks a bunch, Mitra. I hope to continue improving it as I myself learn more and as I receive more feedback from other users :)

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Frisky4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Frisky4
No Caption Provided

beatboks1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Since all the pertinent threads are linked in this one we could almost have the mods unsticky the rules battle guidelines. CAV, etc etc and simply edit the title of the thread and only have a single sticky in the forum

chaos911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By chaos911

Was going to say called it about getting pinned, but I wasn't the only one

chaos911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now it's unpinned, wtf?

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Since all the pertinent threads are linked in this one we could almost have the mods unsticky the rules battle guidelines. CAV, etc etc and simply edit the title of the thread and only have a single sticky in the forum

If they wish to do that it would indeed condense the number of stickies; however, I bet we'd get a flood of users complaining that they have to click TWO links instead of ONE to get to the page they were searching for :P

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaos911 said:

Now it's unpinned, wtf?

Wonder why :(

chaos911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think challenge a viner should stay sticky since that thread would be bumped constantly but I agree.

This should be pinned. Its very helpful to new debaters that want to improve.

chaos911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God_Spawn replied to me in a PM; hopefully it's alright if I post his message here for everyone else to see:

Sorry, I thought I replied. It was a battle forum mod decision based on that it reads like a guideline/rule-esque thread, and those types of threads should really be made by mods. I kind of jumped the gun because I liked the effort and idea, but I see where the other guys were coming from. So I apologize for kind of jumping the gun on it and pinning it, but at some point another mod would have likely unpinned it.

So I don't think it'll get pinned (unfortunately) but we can always bump it every now and then or link it to new users or those looking for assistance.

I still appreciate all the assistance and support everyone gave me for this, it means a lot.

chaos911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetruebarryallen: well darn. So respected and veteran viners aren't allowed to make guidelines to help new users?

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God_Spawn replied to me in a PM; hopefully it's alright if I post his message here for everyone else to see:

Sorry, I thought I replied. It was a battle forum mod decision based on that it reads like a guideline/rule-esque thread, and those types of threads should really be made by mods. I kind of jumped the gun because I liked the effort and idea, but I see where the other guys were coming from. So I apologize for kind of jumping the gun on it and pinning it, but at some point another mod would have likely unpinned it.

So I don't think it'll get pinned (unfortunately) but we can always bump it every now and then or link it to new users or those looking for assistance.

I still appreciate all the assistance and support everyone gave me for this, it means a lot.

Ugh.

I thought they were above this "mod's club" bull. Sorry, TTBA.

Doesn't even make sense though, because in the battle forums, HigorM, Son_of_Magnus, Sophia89, and Nelomaxwell have their threads pinned, but they're not mods.

I appreciate @god_spawn's transparency at least though. ^-^

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That sucks :/ I don't see why mods need to be the one to make it. This thread is mostly just a bunch of helpful tips. I don't view it as a rule based thread and even if it were I don't think its a big deal.

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm trying to work something through to see if I can make it read more as an advice thread as opposed to a rules thread. I tried to explain in the Intro that it's purely advice from other users, and I encouraged people to read the official rules in the very first section, even linking to the threads.

We shall see what happens.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#74  Edited By Transformers1024

Hostile comment ahead!! - That's terribly stupid this was unpinned. This is a far more deserving of a pin than the CAV and Battle Call Out Phone Book.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By jashro44

IIRC wasn't k4tzm4ns battle forum bible pinned before he became a mod or a staff? It was morpheus_ who pinned it I believe.....

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sophia89 said:

@thetruebarryallen: Sorry it got unpinned dude,it was really detailed and very nicely done.

I'll just save the link to it and give it to every new Viner I see.

If you want we can(By that I mean you&me+anyone else who wants) keep bumping it to keep it in the first page.

Glad you like it, and the linking idea sounds great.

I'm working on reaching a compromise right now, but if we can't for whatever reason then we can bump it every now & then :)

Dredeuced

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The best compromise would just be making you a mod since you're an exemplary poster and really interested in improving the quality of the forum.

This is purely from my perspective as someone who does most of the reading in the comic reviews and battle boards so there's probably a lot more to the mod decision making process than that, but it's probably still a good idea.

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The best compromise would just be making you a mod since you're an exemplary poster and really interested in improving the quality of the forum.

This is purely from my perspective as someone who does most of the reading in the comic reviews and battle boards so there's probably a lot more to the mod decision making process than that, but it's probably still a good idea.

I'm not opposed to this idea, baahaha, but I really do just want the Battle Forums to be a super cool place for people, regardless of my user level/status :)

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is also a good idea.

chaos911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump to keep this in the first page

Jestersmiles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#83  Edited By Jestersmiles
No Caption Provided

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetruebarryallen: so I assume based on the changed title change and the edit you worked something out?

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44 said:

@thetruebarryallen: so I assume based on the changed title change and the edit you worked something out?

I'm currently in the middle of working something out; GS suggested the title change to make it look less like an official rules thread and more like an advice thread.

I'll also be editing some of the wording and content in each section to make it feel more like advice than a set in stone way of doing things, along with adding in a few disclaimers.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetruebarryallen: Awesome. I hope it works out, let me know how it turns out when your done.

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: Will do, also thanks for agreeing w/Dreduced on the whole Mod suggestion. I doubt that'd happen in this moment but it's a cool thought for the future :)

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#89  Edited By Transformers1024

What if the mods put this in the Community Showcase on the home page since they don't think it should be pinned on the Battle Forums? Seems like it would be a win for both parties that way.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 the_red_viper  Moderator

OH GOD my old dictionary thread!!!

Frisky4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OH GOD my old dictionary thread!!!

I had remembered someone making one so I decided to link it instead of re-making it on this thread :)

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetruebarryallen Suggestion: Adding the Respect Thread Directory under 2.0 Useful Links.

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetruebarryallen Suggestion: Adding the Respect Thread Directory under 2.0 Useful Links.

I'll do that next time I edit this post (sometime within the next 1 - 2 days ) :)

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetruebarryallen: For debaters etiquette I think you should add something about callouts. Like users should try to use the battle callout phonebook. And if they do decide to call out other users into threads make sure that its at least a character that the user at least likes a lot (like they are regarded as an expert in that character). Basically don't just call out 50 random users.

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: VERY good suggestion; will most definitely add that.

FatherChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By FatherChaos

tl;dr Hawkeye solos

Neat thread though

TheTrueBarryAllen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#100 owie  Moderator

Excellent post. Organization is so key, I'm glad you emphasize it in your advice, and also in the post itself!