#1  Edited By nwname  Moderator

No Caption Provided

Round 1: King Kong (Skull island)

Round 2: Zilla (Godzilla 1998)

Round 3: Baby Cloverfield Monster

Round 4: Leatherback (Pacific Rim)

Round 5: Slattern (Pacific Rim)

Round 6: Mega-Kaiju (Pacific Rim 2)

Round 7: Godzilla and MUTOs (Godzilla 2014)

Fight is on empty rocky land. Assume it can breathe on land. Fully healed between rounds. To the death.

Note: It is likely around 800 meter tall.

Avatar image for supermanforever
Supermanforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Stops at 7. He has no feats of tanking anything close to Godzillas atomic breath. So godzilla fries him.

Syntix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Karathen is nigh featless other than tanking everything the atlantean shot at him.

nwname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 nwname  Moderator

@syntix: it also tanked lava and has strength feats in 100000+ ton range if i remember its and atlantean ships’ size correctly and it could easily break rhe sea floor.

CyberpunkCop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

4 Leatherback smacks him

kal-elol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a little harder to scale Karathen since she did not fight anyone/thing close to her size and strength. All we really know for sure is she can tank basically the full force of the Atlantean army. She was able to cut through their ships with ease, which is impressive since it's Atlantean tech, but not when you factor in her size and strength.

azrael1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clears!

Rockette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Godzilla & Mutos end this.

Rebake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing to suggest it can get through round 5. It may even stop at 4. The first Pacific Rim kaiju can soak at minimum three days of bombardment by modern weapons. Tanking lava really only demonstrates heat resistance, but most opponents here don't need to use energy attacks to do damage. Leatherback can throw a jaeger about a mile away and soak full force punches from Gipsy Danger. If Leatherback gets overwhelmed by the Karathen's strength, it's not likely going to pass Slattern who soaked a nuke at point blank. It doesn't have the showings to put it over Slattern.

Also, Aquaman could soak hits from Karathen's "tails", so Karathen must rely on its other limbs to do damage on most of the opponents here. But it's featlessness really hurts how far it can go in this gauntlet.

azrael1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By azrael1973

LOL that the Pacific Rim Kajius stand a chance.

Karathen was burrowing directly out of the earth at the battle. He surprised everyone, so he had to dig really deep. He was covered in Lava which means that he he directly came from earths core. It's just heat resistance, it's pressure resistance. Can you even imagine the strength of a creature of this size that can move just by digging through the earth? This is a feat not any of his opponents have.

The Pacific Rim Kajius are pathic and so are the jaegars,, who just weight abpout 10.000 tons and can be carried by helicopters to battle.

Avatar image for thebestofthebest
ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stops at 7.

deltahuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deltahuman

Karathen had some incredible durability feats I must say.

During the Atlantean rifle demonstration, Manta busted a hilltop with one shot and that too from a considerable distance. Karathen took like thousands of these Atlantean plasma rifle shots at once during the final battle and didn't even flinch. Her durability should be above Multi Mountain level at minimum and much more if you logically think about it. She busted huge Atlantean battleships casually. She also burrowed from the Earth's core? through lava, through the mantle up to the crust. That is a feat I don't see even DCEU Superman replicating honestly. The Earth's core is around 6300 km deep and the temperature there is around 10000 degree Fahrenheit.

Maybe only Godzilla and the MUTO's together can bypass Karathen's durability and that too is debatable.

I mean, James Wan didn't say that the Karathen was the most powerful creature on Earth for nothing.

nwname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 nwname  Moderator

@deltahuman: @azrael1973: Couldn’t they teleport out of the earths core or something ? Karathen might have too and later gone underground for a surprise attack. I doubt it opened a hole through the secret ocean and let lava destroy it.

Pluss the “multi mountain level” is wrong. If the hill top leveled was like 3000 tons it would take something like 6 GJ. 6 GJ times thousand is 6 TJ which is 1.4 kilotons. Generally “mountain level” is used for things above city level so only large mountains (multi mile) are mountain level.

deltahuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By deltahuman

@nwgzsjuwhm96y2:

How did you arrive at the 6 Gigajoule number as the energy required for utterly destroying a substantial part of a hill? If you can, post the calculations.

I actually would need to watch the movie again to exactly confirm how much the Atlantean rifle destroyed but it was a large part of a hill or something.

Regarding the teleportation, you might be correct. I myself have a hard time thinking that the Karathen dug all the way up to the crust from the core. But it did dig its way up to the crust. I just can't confirm from how deep. Considering the fact that it was covered in lava, it must have at least dug its way out from the liquid matle which lies near the core and that's where lava comes from.

Nonetheless, Karathen has tremendous durability. A large number of Atlanteans firing at her didn't even flinch her. Considering their damage output, that's astonishing

azrael1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By azrael1973

How is it able to teleport? Don't just give it random abilities. But let's say it can teleport. The Karathen is gigantic. So what happens to all the matter it teleports into. Does it just desintegrate?

It was heavily implied by the movie that the Karathen was moving from its lair to the battle. It would certainly be faster it was just swimming, so why did it enter the battle from breaking the sea floor covered in molten lava, if not for showing its tremendous strength. Moving through the earth at speed is actually something I can't imagine Godzilla doing.

nwname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By nwname  Moderator

@deltahuman: i definitely would call it less than 3000 tons.

Powder factor (kg of tnt? or anfo per m^3) of hard rock is around 0.7. So for ~1000 m^3 rock 700 kg of TNT is needed at minimum. 700 kg tnt = ~ 3 GJ, even less than the value i said before. But it was a furface blast so its safe to say it was a bit more than 3 GJ.

And about pressure, it can counter it with internal pressure like fish even if it did swim inside the core. Deep water fish take pressures greater than what is needed to cut concrete but they are not knife/bulletproof. They just adapt to the pressure but not sudden changes. I really doubt Karathen could take those pressures without adapting because that would mean it can take forces up to trillion tons. That just seems to OP compared to other DCEU characters.

nwname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nwname  Moderator

@azrael1973: its not an ability. secret ocean has a wormhole leading to it. they might have used it or another wormhole to get back.

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

deltahuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By deltahuman

@nwgzsjuwhm96y2:

The average density of rocks is around 2.6 gms per cubic centimetre. Of course it depends upon the type of rock but really, if you think a large portion of a hill is just 3000 tons then you're seriously underestimating their mass.

For comparison, I'll provide you the weight of the great pyramid. It's around 6.5 million tonnes. Even of the plasma rifle busted a size of the hill that's a quarter of the size of the great pyramid, it will be a few million tonnes. Now I'm not saying that the rifle busted a million tonnes even if it looked like that on the movie but its certainly much more than 3000 tonnes. How much exactly is up for debate. I'd need to see the movie again to be sure.

Also regarding Karathen being too OP compared to other DCEU characters, I think its meant to be. James Wan clearly called it the most powerful creature on Earth.

azrael1973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azrael1973: its not an ability. secret ocean has a wormhole leading to it. they might have used it or another wormhole to get back.

Might be but it was not shown that the Karathen entered it. And also the wormhole is connecting water to water, not water to lava. The Karathen had still to dig from from deep enough that it was covered in molten Lava.

nwname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By nwname  Moderator

@deltahuman: i even assumed it was 3g/cm^3. it was not a “hill” it was a large rock. And as far as i remember it was not even 1000 m^3. Gonna watch the movie again today. I might get a better idea of its size. And its not like it was just standard atlantean weapon. It was an advanced prototype.

deltahuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By deltahuman

@nwgzsjuwhm96y2:

Yes. That's the same reason I'm not sure what the size was. I don't remember. Watching the movie again will give a clear idea.

Regardless of that, the rifle was really impressive and Karathen took a hell lot of those things without even noticing. Her durability should certainly be at sub kiloton level nuke or maybe even much more since she didn't even seem to give two shits at the Atlantean gunfire

Avatar image for war_of_light_2814
war of light_2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone got an idea on the Karathen's size ?

nwname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 nwname  Moderator
Avatar image for war_of_light_2814
war of light_2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for plotweapon16255
plotweapon16255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nwname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 nwname  Moderator

@plotweapon16255: I meant the one in the first movie. Baby clover. Plus we can’t know the size of the adult one, it can be standing on a mountain or the clouds can be low altitude ones at around 1200 ft. Still most likely adult clover is 1000 ft+

ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Supermanthor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

LoL

nwname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 nwname  Moderator

@plotweapon16255: i hope the official height of the Cloverfield monster will be said in the blu ray release. same for Karathen.

nwname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 nwname  Moderator

@deltahuman: I just came back from cinema. I am disappointed. Only thing to scale the “hill” is comparing it to the diameter of the laser and scaling the laser from black manta. Going by that i would say it was only 30-40 m^3 and barely 100 tons, so i would say it was 200 MJ at best. Still thats impressive, around 16 times the main cannon of m1 abrams or 5 times of an anti-tank missle or getting punched by a 150000+ tonner human. But those exaples have much more force behind them while this is mostly heat.

nwname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 nwname  Moderator

@thebestofthebest: https://www.artofvfx.com/aquaman-jeff-white-vfx-supervisor-and-cedric-lo-animation-supervisor-industrial-light-magic/

Karathen is 2 miles long or 3.2 km with all the tentacles. Her standing height should be 800+ meters. She might be bigger than adult clover

ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gojira2512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thebestofthebest: https://www.artofvfx.com/aquaman-jeff-white-vfx-supervisor-and-cedric-lo-animation-supervisor-industrial-light-magic/

Karathen is 2 miles long or 3.2 km with all the tentacles. Her standing height should be 800+ meters. She might be bigger than adult clover

wow, despite it seems smaller in the movie likely 200 meters tall.

CyberpunkCop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

UltraShaggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stop at 5.

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By helloman

It stops at 1.

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@helloman said:

It stops at 1.

Kong was badly injured by helicopter blades, bullets, and almost died to napalm. He does not have the durability the Karathen has.

The Karathen doesn't really start having a good fight until we get to the Pacific Rim kaiju. Maybe Cloverfield but I never saw that movie.

karanrasquinha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stops at 4. Hard stops at 5 or above.

there is no way its taking down slattern who tanked a nuke. Mk and Godzilla wipe the floor

Baalhaddad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stomps rounds 1-4

Slattern stomps her