Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

redheathen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@red12789, Hey you said that Sidious blitzed TPM Maul. Where did this happen? Are you talking about in the training room?

@red12789 and @lord_tenebrous you guys discussed "standard Banite training". Is this a thing? Was there a standard set? It's been a while since I read the Bane books, so can you please help me out?

@void_reborn, How do you (and others) compare ANH Vader to ROTJ Vader?

Also, you said:

1. "TPM Maul would even be below Grievous or prime Asajj." <-- I'm curious how you've come up with this. Is it sourced or your thoughts?
  2. "Dooku in Legends is even more hyped and powerful than his canon incarnation, who is already above canon prime Maul which is TCW Maul, also shown to be below Grievous." <-- I'm also curious about these statements.

Thanks guys!

Lord_Tenebrous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@palpatine005 said:

i think luke, vader gives him a good fight. don't know that much about tenebrous tho, but he seems quite strong

You can equate Tenebrous's power to Tenebrous's debating skill.

That should give you an idea :)

Haha thanks, y'all are really too kind.

Lord_Tenebrous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205  Edited By Lord_Tenebrous

@redheathen:

The complete Banite education would be to absorb all of the knowledge the master possesses. But there are always the principles of Sith training, much like how most all Jedi are instructed in a certain skillset regardless of their masters.

For the Banite lineage, there would be two primary lines of knowledge -- lore the Sith accumulated over time, such as the holocrons of Freedon Nadd and Belia Darzu, and the knowledge obtained through personal exploration into the nature of the Force. Tenebrous, Plagueis & Vectivus being good examples. Thus, each generation builds upon the other not only in sheer power, but overall command of the Force.

For an apprentice to learn the latter (personal knowledge) would require personal, unique instruction -- we know Tenebrous didn't bother to truly train Plagueis this way -- but for an apprentice to learn the former (accumulated knowledge) simply requires access to the accumulated lore, and perhaps loose guidance. Unless Tenebrous deliberately prohibited Plagueis from studying Sith knowledge, Plagueis would have the standard education of any Banite.

For instance, Bane as a student applied himself and studied the accumulated lore present in the Brotherhood of Darkness' archives, then benefited from the unique, personal tutelage of Githany and Kas'im.

Void_Reborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redheathen:

"TPM Maul would even be below Grievous or prime Asajj." <-- I'm curious how you've come up with this. Is it sourced or your thoughts?

TPM Maul's best feat in dueling would honestly be him outdoing Qui-Gon with an environmental advantage and then landing a kick on enraged TPM Kenobi.

By contrast, we have General Grievous, who, in the Labyrinth of Evil novel, stalemated Mace Windu while hindered in 3 ways.

Without pausing, Grievous drew two lightsabers from inside his billowing cloak. By the time they were ignited, Mace was already on and all over the cyborg, batting away at the two blades, swinging low at Grievous's artificial legs, thrusting at his skeletal face. The lightsabers thrummed and hissed, meeting one another in bursts of dazzling light. In a corner of Mace's mind he wondered to which Jedi Grievous's blades had belonged. Just as the Force was keeping Mace from being blown from the mag-lev's roof, magnetism of some sort was keeping the general fastened in place. For the cyborg, though, the coherence hindered as much as it helped, whereas Mace never remained in one place for very long.

Again and again the three blades joined, in snarling attacks and parries. Grievous was well trained in the Jedi arts. Mace could recognize the hand of Dooku in the general's training and technique. His strikes were as forceful as any Mace had ever had to counter, and his speed was astonishing. But he didn't know Vaapad—the technique of dark flirtation in which Mace excelled.

To the rear of the car, where Grievous's pair of MagnaGuards had made the mistake of pitting themselves against Kit Fisto, the Nautolan's blade was a cyclone of blazing blue light. Resistant to the energy outpourings of a lightsaber, the phrik alloy staffs were potent weapons, but like any weapon they needed to find their target, and Kit simply wasn't allowing that. In moves a Twi'lek dancer might envy, he spun around the guards, claiming a limb from both with each rotation: left legs, right arms, right legs...

The speed of the train saw to the rest, ultimately whisking the droids into the canyon like insects blown from the windscreen of a speeder bike.

The loss of his confederates was noted by whatever computers were slaved to Grievous's organic brain, but the loss neither distracted nor slowed him. His sole setting was attack. Successful at analyzing Mace's lightsaber style, those same computers suggested that Grievous alter his stance and posture, along with the angle of his parries, ripostes, and thrusts. The result wasn't Vaapad, but it was close enough, and Mace wasn't interested in prolonging the contest any longer than necessary.

Crouching low, he angled the blade downward and slashed, guiding it through the roof of the car, perpendicular to Grievous's stalwart advance. Mace saw by the surprised look in the cyborg's reptilian eyes that, for all his strength, dexterity, and resolve, the living part of him wasn't always in perfect sync with his alloy servos. Clearly, Grievous—onetime courageous commander of sentient troops—realized what Mace had done and wanted to sidestep, where General Grievous—current commander of droids and other war machines—wanted nothing more than to impale Mace with lunging thrusts of the paired blades.

Slipping into the gap made by Mace's saber, Grievous's left talon lost magnetic purchase on the roof, and the general faltered. Mace came out of his crouch prepared to drive his sword into Grievous's guts, but some last-instant firing of the general's cybersynapses compelled the cyborg's torso through a swift half twist that would have sent Mace's head hurtling into the canyon had the maneuver prevailed. Instead Mace leapt backward, out of the range of the slicing blades, and Force-pushed outward, just at the instant of Grievous's single misstep.

Off the side of the car the general went, twisting and turning as he fell, Mace trying to track the general's contorted plunge, but unsuccessfully. Had he fallen into the canyon? Had he managed to dig his duranium claws into the side of the car or grab hold of the mag-lev rail itself?

Mace couldn't take the time to puzzle it out. One hundred meters away, the gunboat retracted its landing gear and rose from the roof on repulsorlift power. Reckless shots from one of the pursuing gunships obliged the Separatist craft to skew, then dive, with the gunship following close behind.

-- Labyrinth of Evil

If you read that novel, it seems to be potentially implying that Mace is not confident in his ability to prolong the fight with Grievous even though Fisto had already finished off the Magnaguards and was coming to his aid from the other end of the car.

Remember that Grievous was, by the end of their long engagement, advancing steadily with a 'stalwart advance' against Mace, suggesting that, after analysing some of Vaapad, Grievous began to gain ground and an upper hand against Mace. I can only assume Grievous is slowly moving forward since his feet are magnetised. One at a time. One at a time. Severely hindered movement, again.

"The loss of his confederates was noted by whatever computers were slaved to Grievous's organic brain, but the loss neither distracted nor slowed him. His sole setting was attack. Successful at analyzing Mace's lightsaber style, those same computers suggested that Grievous alter his stance and posture, along with the angle of his parries, ripostes, and thrusts. The result wasn't Vaapad, but it was close enough, and Mace wasn't interested in prolonging the contest any longer than necessary." - Labyrinth of Evil.

The above quote is in stark contrast from Mace's earlier thoughts here:

Mace could recognize the hand of Dooku in the general's training and technique. His strikes were as forceful as any Mace had ever had to counter, and his speed was astonishing. But he didn't know Vaapad—the technique of dark flirtation in which Mace excelled.

The phrase, "but he didn't know Vaapad" seems to suggest that Mace felt, at that point in the fight, he had a trump card that could overpower this 'astonishing speed' and forcefulness that, prior to this engagement, he had never come across or ever had to deal with. At that point in the fight, Mace is seemingly fine with prolonging the contest due to the fact that Grievous doesn't know Vaapad. It's upon realizing that Grievous has analyzed his form that Mace is suddenly "not interested in prolonging the contest any longer than necessary." This is despite Fisto having just defeated his own opponents. One would assume that Mace would want to prolong the fight for as long as he could in order to allow Fisto to come to his aid so that they could defeat Grievous together, considering up until the end where the cyborg was advancing on him despite such restrained movement, they were stalemating all the way through. But instead, we have Mace doing everything in his power to end the fight, even utilising a trick that could have resulted in his death had Grievous's own thoughts not conflicted with his droid suggestions, as if he's lost confidence in his ability to hold out long enough for Fisto to come to his aid or doesn't think that even the both of them could take a decisive victory over the cyborg general.

I think that is really something to think about, especially since Grievous is hindered in 3 ways:

1. Environmentally
  2. Mobility-wise
  3. Offensive output

He also has several other feats such as the Hypori battle where he basically outright stomps the 5 Jedi, two of which are council members up until Mundi makes a valiant last stand for himself but would've died regardless had the clones not arrived when they did.

I don't see how TPM Maul can scale above someone who stalemated Mace Windu and advanced against him by the end of the fight while hindered in 3 ways.

As for Ventress, I have had a change of opinion. I feel TPM Maul is better.

"Dooku in Legends is even more hyped and powerful than his canon incarnation, who is already above canon prime Maul which is TCW Maul, also shown to be below Grievous." <-- I'm also curious about these statements

Count Dooku in Legends has been directly stated by George Lucas to have been portrayed in a way to equal Yoda in the force and also stalemated Yoda for 90% of their duel even after being visibly tired and stated to be tired after having dueled Anakin and Obi-Wan.

Unlike Canon, we can go off of direct statements from GL on film intent, rather than just going by the films themselves. Mind you, the movie doesn't contradict these statements, so Dooku is factually on the same level in canon. The problem is, he has far more anti feats in canon such as losing to Quinlan Vos, taking much longer to defeat Ventress as compared to his EU version etc.

Dooku is already above TCW Maul based on their standings. Dooku is often described as a peer to Mace Windu and Yoda, which would put him very narrowly below Sidious. Maul hasn't and never will reach this level. Dooku has also proven he can outduel and dismantle the combined force of Obi-Wan Kenobi and Anakin Skywalker right before ROTS and during ROTS. This is something Maul could never hope to achieve as he couldn't beat either of them alone anyway.

Canon Grievous > Canon Maul because of the SoD Comic. Grievous outright dismisses him on the Zanbar fight which is neutral ground as compared to Maul ambushing an unarmed, unsuspecting and confused Grievous (not a fight therefore unusable). On Dathomir, Maul would be amped and he was stalemated regardless up until force pushing a distracted Grievous.

Grievous also repeatedly outfights or stomps Obi-Wan throughout TCW who is portrayed on Maul's level and as his rival. Kenobi also outdueled the combined force of Maul and Savage Opress with a slight environmental advantage.

Red12789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By Red12789

@redheathen:

Hey you said that Sidious blitzed TPM Maul. Where did this happen? Are you talking about in the training room?

Yes, and there were only 2 instances in the TPM era where Maul and Sidious are shown fighting IIRC. The other time, Maul was actually able to pressure and nearly beat Sidious, though that fight was so circumstantial that it cannot be used as a quantifiable feat for Maul. In the training room, Sidious didn't actually speedblitz Maul in a fair fight; he did so while the latter was distracted. However, Palpatine still moved faster than Maul could perceive several times, which heavily implies that he is more than capable of blitzing his apprentice.

Maul parried the blow and reversed, coming at Sidious from the opposite side. But Sidious had already vanished, leaving Maul to lunge at the empty air. As Maul lost his balance, his body fell against the cave's wall.

Sidious said from behind Maul, "You are that pathetic. You are weak. Not worthy of being a Sith Lord. I have misjudged you."

Maul's anger burned to rage. He spun fast and swung his lightsaber again, but again he failed to strike Sidious, who moved faster than he could follow.

--The Wrath of Darth Maul

Suddenly, my lightsaber is gone. It flies from my hand across the room. It lands in the hand of my Master. I never see him enter. Not if he doesn't want me to. The smile of triumph fades from my face.

"Do you think," Lord Sidious says, walking toward me, "you can ever relax your guard?"

"No, Master." What a clumsy, weak mistake. I should be prepared for him to enter at all times. How could I have forgotten that, even for a moment?

The lightsaber whirls in the air, twirling, held in my Master's hand. I can't track it, it moves so fast. But I know it's heading for me. Lord Sidious moves faster than my eye can follow. I smell heat and smoke. The laser traces the outline of my body, my face, my hands. The buzz is loud in my ear. One flinch, one involuntary twitch of a muscle, and I am dead.

I do not flinch.

At last, Lord Sidious deactivates my weapon. He tosses it toward me. The sweat on my palm almost causes me to drop it.

"Do not let me see you relax your guard again," my Master says. His eyes burn. "You are valuable, yes. But you are not indispensable, Lord Maul. I can do without you."

A flick of his robe, and he is gone.

--Episode 1 Journal: Darth Maul

"standard Banite training". Is this a thing? Was there a standard set? It's been a while since I read the Bane books, so can you please help me out?

It is customary for members of Bane's lineage to pass down all their knowledge to their apprentice, so as to make every new generation of Sith masters more powerful. The term "standard Banite training" is very nebulous however imo, since different Sith masters would presumably train their apprentices in different ways and some would refrain from teaching their apprentices all they knew (such as Tenebrous for example).

Avatar image for deactivated-6098713be0993
deactivated-6098713be0993

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Clears 1 if he's very lucky. Hard stop at 2 or 3.

SheevSmacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

how TF is it stopping at 1

SheevSmacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SheevSmacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redguard1an:

Sidious moves too fast for a Force-rage enhanced Maul to follow:

Maul parried the blow and reversed, coming at Sidious from the opposite side. But Sidious had already vanished, leaving Maul to lunge at the empty air. As Maul lost his balance, his body fell against the cave's wall.

Sidious said from behind Maul, "You are that pathetic. You are weak. Not worthy of being a Sith Lord. I have misjudged you."

Maul's anger burned to rage. He spun fast and swung his lightsaber again, but again he failed to strike Sidious, who moved faster than he could follow.

Source: The Wrath of Darth Maul

Sidious moves faster than Maul can see as he traces the outline of Maul's body:

The lightsaber whirls in the air, twirling, held in my Master's hand. I can't track it, it moves so fast. But I know it's heading for me. Lord Sidious moves faster than my eye can follow. I smell heat and smoke. The laser traces the outline of my body, my face, my hands. The buzz is loud in my ear. One flinch, one involuntary twitch of a muscle, and I am dead.

Source: Episode 1 Journal: Darth Maul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

''Maul's final test as a Sith apprentice occurred on an isolated Outer Rim World. Abandoned there by Darth Sidious, he was told that he had to survive on his own until Sidious returned a month later, all the while being hunted by hordes of deadly assassin droids. Maul fought as best as he could, but exhaustion and hunger finally took their toll, and one of the tireless droids finally wounded him badly enough that he felt he could not go on.

At that point, Darth Sidious returned and challenged his apprentice to a lightsaber duel, telling Maul that he had secretly been training a second apprentice in case Maul failed his final test-which, by failing to kill Sidious in the duel, he just had.

Anger and hatred welled up in Maul, and he drew renewed strength from the dark side. Hurling himself at Darth Sidious, he nearly bested his master with a flurry of deadly lightsaber blows. Sidious barely deflected them all. Eventually Maul spent his fury, and Darth Sidious still stood. Maul prepared himself for death-but Sidious only laughed. By giving in to his rage and hatred to kill his own master-by wanting to kill his own master-Maul had in fact passed the final test. Now he was a Sith Lord-Darth Maul, Dark Lord of the Sith.''

-Dark side sourcebook

''Sidious shifted like a liquid shadow, maneuvering around his apprentice. Maul was suddenly up against the wall, gasping for breath as his vision blurred. His strength was evaporating. He turned fast to see Sidious. Sidious lashed out with his lightsaber. Maul parried the blow, but then his lightsaber suddenly flew from his hand.

As Maul heard his lightsaber deactivate and clatter across the cave's floor, Sidious raised his own lightsaber and advanced. Maul knew he was about to die, but he did not cringe. As Sidious swung his lightsaber.

Maul leaped forward, grabbed Sidious's wrist, and sank his teeth into his hand. Maul tasted blood and spat it back at Sidious.''

-Wrath of Darth Maul

@sheevsmacker

Neither of these prove he's a peer of Sidious. In the first, he surprised Sidious with a rage amp and was still defeated. In the second, he bites Sidious' hand.

El_mago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dies horribly at 1

killbilly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220 killbilly  Moderator

Stops at Dooku.

Avatar image for greysentinel365
Greysentinel365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stops at one honestly.

SheevSmacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Praxcision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stops at Maul for sure.

mDemocracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stops at Dooku for sure not sure about others one tho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redguard1an: Countered by the fact that he'd been starved.

Physical debilitations can be compensated for by the Force. Sidious was testing Maul's dedication to the Dark Side and ability to call upon it (AKA his strength and reserves). If Mace can cope with not sleeping for several days and being injured and still performing at near-peak condition against a Yoda-level Force user, SK can be in great fighting condition after 13 days of isolation without food or water, the Outlander can still fight whilst dying from severe carbonite poisoning, and Obi-Wan can still fight Ventress to a near-stalemate despite being poisoned and weakened, Maul has no excuse just because "he'd been starved".

Not by a large margain though which is impressive since Tenebrous is a few stomp gaps below Sidious.

He fought pre-boost Sheev, for whom there is no evidence that he's >>> Tenebrous.

Yes?

It's a meaningless feat. He can bite Sheev's free hand as it's hanging at his side by diving at it. Go Maul, I guess?

SheevSmacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redguard1an: You can read or no?

Source: The Wrath of Darth Maul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redguard1an:Not all force users are able to cope with physical debilitations even though some have. Luke went from being the most powerful Jedi to getting stalemated by Lady Rhea because he was starved. If Maul being starved is a negligible hinderance then prove that his rage amp isn't.

Disingenuous comparison. First, Luke was winning. He wasn't "stalemated":

They realized their mistake the instant their faceplates darkened and leapt into a series of evasive tumbles. But even that tiny slip was too much in such a vicious combat, and Luke was in no condition to be merciful. He followed the older Sith out into the hangar, taking advantage of her momentary blindness to lop off pieces-first a leg, then a sword arm, and finally her helmet.

Expecting the ferocious girl to be on him the instant her faceplate cleared, Luke spun to meet her with a clearing sweep of his blade-and found her a full thirty meters away, floating above a dusty old Soro-Suub StarTripper that looked like it could have been the prototype for Lando's famous Lady Luck. Her partially darkened faceplate was turned toward the lift area, perhaps because she was searching for something she could use to continue her attack from a safe distance.

But she seemed to feel Luke's gaze and realize the odds had turned against her, and she slowly looked back toward him. It was impossible to see inside her faceplate from that distance, but Luke had the sense that she was watching him carefully, either adjusting a previous appraisal of him-or simply awaiting his next attack. When Luke remained motionless, the girl ignited her lightsaber and raised it in salute. He acknowledged the gesture with a dip of his head. She held the salute for a moment longer, then deactivated her blade and did a backward Force flip, vanishing from sight behind the dusty StarTripper.

Luke turned toward the hangar exit. Seeing no sign of any active vessel except the Shadow, he chinned the microphone toggle inside his helmet. "Hey, Ben?"

Second, Rheya only managed that in a 2v1:

The exit panel opened. Luke found himself standing faceplate-to-faceplate with four surprised enemies. Two were small and female, and two were large and male. He put a trio of blaster bolts through the largest male's chest and ignited his lightsaber in the faceplate of the other male, then retreated to the rear of the lift and used the Force to depress the activation lever. Luke had expected the female survivors to be so shocked by his attack that they would leap for cover and take a moment to regroup before coming after him. He should have known better. These were Sith, and they reacted with all the killing instinct that implied. Even before the exit panel had begun to drop back into place, they were diving into the lift with him, each going to a different corner so they could attack from two different directions.

Third, Luke's situation was completely different, having been weakened both physically and mentally to the point that he was at a fraction of his former strength, which is outright stated:

‘He was good; Luke gave him that. He might have been a match for an expert swordsmaster such as Kyp or Kyle Katarn. He would have been too much for a comparatively diffident duelist such as Cilghal, or even Luke as he had been back at Sinkhole Station, at low ebb in physical and mental strength.’

You're making a completely false equivalence between a Luke weakened under completely different circumstances and a Maul who was only physically weakened.

Pre-poost Palpatine >~ TPM Maul > RotJ Vader >> ANH Vader > Maw > Plagueis > Tenebrous.

This is inaccurate. Immensely so. TPM Maul is certainly not > ROTJ Vader, nor is he > Plagueis.

I'm not sure what mental gymnastics you're trying to pull off because it seems clear to me that if Maul hurt Palps in battle then they're close.

Did he bite Sidious in the middle of the fight, or when Sidious was standing still and raising his lightsaber? If you take the latter as a sign of parity, then a tactical droid tagging S6 Anakin means that the tactical droid must be ~ S6 Anakin.

Fortunately I have even more evidence to support my initial claim.

This should be interesting.

No Caption Provided

"Equally as formidable" is laughably meaningless. Vader has the exact same quote:

Once Supreme Chancellor Palpatine, the black-cloaked Darth Sidious has fulfilled his masterful plan and taken control of the entire galaxy, with the equally formidable Dark Lord of the Sith by his side.

So you've contradicted yourself: 19 BBY Vader is "equal" to post-ROTS Sidious, who is >> pre-boost Sidious. So by your logic:

ROTJ Sidious >>> ROTS Sidious ~ 19 BBY Vader >> pre-boost Sidious ~ TPM Maul.

He parries my next blow. Sweat stings my eyes as I move across the rough cave floor. I do not stumble. I am nothing but the pulse of my anger, pure energy, pure darkness. I streak across the cave floor and come at him again, somersaulting through the air. My lightsaber whirls in the darkness. When he parries the blow, he staggers.

I am going to kill him. Every beat of my blood exults in my power. Every blow I deliver is meant to be the killing blow. I use reserves of strength I did not know I had. My blows are sure and precise, my footwork flawless. I gather in the power of the dark side. I feel my power clash with his. The air is thick, charged with our dark, titanic powers.

He parries every blow. But I see that he has to work hard to keep me at bay. Triumph roars through me at my Master's weakness. He is not as powerful as he appears.

-Star Wars Episode I Journal: Darth Maul

You did read where I said, "rage amped", correct? Sidious didn't expect the rage amp, and was toying with him:

No Caption Provided

He then becomes enraged and throws himself at Sidious, surprising him with the sudden aggression:

No Caption Provided

Even as Sidious is "working hard" - which is from Maul's perspective, who at this point is overconfident and high on rage, believing that he can kill Sidious - Sheev taunts him and within seconds has him up against the wall:

No Caption Provided

Maul is not - and never has been - a trustworthy narrator. At no point does he break through Sheev's defences, even when the latter is surprised and forced to defend against his sudden rage amp.

And because you chose to omit it - either intentionally or unknowingly - Sheev was barely tapping into his reserves, having barely spent any of his energy to hold Maul at bay whereas a rage amped Maul was giving it everything he had:

No Caption Provided

My relationship with my Master is complex. He rules me. He orders me and directs me. Yet we are both Sith Lords, and though I am his apprentice I share some of his power. As I have grown, so has his confidence in me. I stand by his side, but slightly behind, in his shadow.

I am content there. I still have much to learn. Not in battle, but in larger strategies. He sees weakness and exploits it. He senses anger and inflames it. His vision takes in a galaxy, with its multitude of planets and governments. The complexity doesn't intimidate him. He can hold it in his mind and know that someday, he will control it all.

Key word: "some" of his power. Maul knows that he is weaker. He is referring to his position as Sidious' eventual successor and fellow Sith Lord.

Alone in his secret chambers, Darth Sidious meditated on this latest set of circumstances.

In many ways Darth Maul was an exemplary acolyte. His loyalty was unquestionable and unshakable; Sidious knew that, if he were to command it, Maul would sacrifice his life without a second's hesitation. And his skills as a warrior were nonpareil.

Nevertheless, Maul had his flaws, and by far the largest of these was hubris. Though he had said nothing when given the assignment, Sidious knew Maul felt that such a job was beneath his skills. There were times-many times-when Sidious could see Maul's aura pulsing with the dark stain of impatience. He wondered sometimes if he had inculcated too much hatred of the Jedi and their ways in his apprentice. Maul did tend to focus on their destruction at the expense of the larger picture.

Even so, Sidious had every confidence that Maul would accomplish the task he had been set. Complications and setbacks were to be expected, and would be dealt with. All that mattered was the grand design, and it was proceeding apace. Soon the Jedi would be put to the slaughter. That should make his impetuous subordinate happy. Soon. Very soon.

And yet he was defeated by TPM Sidious, strained by a refreshed and focused Qui-Gon, and is below Yoda, Mace and arguably other members of the Jedi Council. If you need proof, here is what Sidious also had to say in response to Maul thinking he could take out most of the Council in 1v1s via stealth:

The abandoned LiMerge Building had become the assassin’s home and training center; The Works and the fringes of the nearby Fobosi district, his nocturnal haunts. Circling him with the cowl of his robe raised over his head, Sidious asked, “The Jedi gained your respect?”

“They might have, had the infiltrators showed any skill. Had I been leading them …”

Sidious stopped. “The mission would have been successful? Jedi Knights and Padawans killed; younglings slaughtered.”

“I’m certain of it, Master.”

“Just you, against the Masters who make up the High Council.”

“By hiding and striking I could have killed many.”

Plagueis was right, Sidious thought. I have made him prideful

Maul is skilled, no doubt. He is, however, not a Sidious, or a Yoda, or a Mace, or an Anakin, or even a Kenobi.

Praxcision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By Praxcision

@breakofdawn Interesting that I didn't see this type of resistance on SI even when you posted on the thread where I laid out some of these arguments. Hopefully, you'll fare better than Tybalt.

Not gonna touch on the Vader equally formidable to Sheev part though since KoB already did that.

---

This is inaccurate. Immensely so. TPM Maul is certainly not > ROTJ Vader, nor is he > Plagueis.

Why?

---

You did read where I said, "rage amped", correct? Sidious didn't expect the rage amp, and was toying with him:

This point doesn't really make any sense. You say Sidious didn't expect a "rage amp" even though Sidious was taunting Maul with the purpose of...drawing out Maul's rage. He was trying to get Maul to attack him.

---

Even as Sidious is "working hard" - which is from Maul's perspective, who at this point is overconfident and high on rage, believing that he can kill Sidious - Sheev taunts him and within seconds has him up against the wall:

Maul is not - and never has been - a trustworthy narrator. At no point does he break through Sheev's defences, even when the latter is surprised and forced to defend against his sudden rage amp.

And because you chose to omit it - either intentionally or unknowingly - Sheev was barely tapping into his reserves, having barely spent any of his energy to hold Maul at bay whereas a rage amped Maul was giving it everything he had:

You say that Sheev "working hard" is unreliable since you think it's coming from an unreliable narrator...but The Dark Side Sourcebook--an unbiased narrator--literally supports Maul's claim. You've even seen this quote since @redguard1an posted it a few posts ago, but just in case you forgot:

''Maul's final test as a Sith apprentice occurred on an isolated Outer Rim World. Abandoned there by Darth Sidious, he was told that he had to survive on his own until Sidious returned a month later, all the while being hunted by hordes of deadly assassin droids. Maul fought as best as he could, but exhaustion and hunger finally took their toll, and one of the tireless droids finally wounded him badly enough that he felt he could not go on.

At that point, Darth Sidious returned and challenged his apprentice to a lightsaber duel, telling Maul that he had secretly been training a second apprentice in case Maul failed his final test-which, by failing to kill Sidious in the duel, he just had.

Anger and hatred welled up in Maul, and he drew renewed strength from the dark side. Hurling himself at Darth Sidious, he nearly bested his master with a flurry of deadly lightsaber blows. Sidious barely deflected them all. Eventually Maul spent his fury, and Darth Sidious still stood. Maul prepared himself for death-but Sidious only laughed. By giving in to his rage and hatred to kill his own master-by wanting to kill his own master-Maul had in fact passed the final test. Now he was a Sith Lord-Darth Maul, Dark Lord of the Sith.''

Pretty big blunder there. Also, you seem to be pretty big on this "rage amp" even though in your own scan Maul feels weakened due to what he went through prior to the fight:

"You want to kill me?" he taunts. "You want to kill your Master?"

"Yes, " I grunt.

"You hate me?"

"Yes!" I scream out the word through gritted teeth.

But I have been weakened by my ordeal, and my Master maneuvers me against the cave wall.

-Star Wars Episode I Journal: Darth Maul

So it's not like Maul is necessarily performing out of his mind here. He mustered up some reserves through tapping into his rage while already weakened. His baseline is lower than it usually would be, so it's not like he's even necessarily amped above his normal baseline.

---

Key word: "some" of his power. Maul knows that he is weaker. He is referring to his position as Sidious' eventual successor and fellow Sith Lord.

Regardless if this quote is talking about Force power or not, you don't have to be as powerful as someone to be their peer (e.g. Outlander and Vaylin). Maul has quotes putting him with or above Sheev in sabers coming from Sheev himself:

The battle began in the hangar. Darth Maul activated his double-ended lightsaber, a weapon he fashioned himself under my supervision. In his hands this weapon was flawless - or so I thought.

-Star Wars Episode 1 Journal: Darth Maul

Sidious put his hands on his hips. "Stand, Darth Maul, and face me." He gave his apprentice a moment to comply before continuing. "Thus far your apprenticeship has been impeccable. You have never wavered in your intent, and you have executed your tasks flawlessly. Your skill as a sword master is peerless."

-Darth Maul - Saboteur

Sheev can be more powerful with the Force than Maul while Maul can be a better duelist, and still be peers when it comes to combat. Or Sheev could be slightly better in both, or whatever combination, you get the idea. Also, that quote you're referring to has Maul saying that he is only slightly behind Sidious, and it's because of his lack of ability to scheme, rather than his ability when it comes to battle.

---

And yet he was defeated by TPM Sidious

"Defeating" someone because you sneak up behind them with their guard down is a bit different than beating someone in a straight-up fight, and I think you know that.

---

strained by a refreshed and focused Qui-Gon

This says nothing about Maul's standing with regard to Sheev. Sheev even believed that if Maul defeated Jinn it would be as much an accomplishment for Maul as it would be for him.

Darth Sidious is elated that his training of Maul afforded Maul victory over the great Qui Gon Jinn, and considers it as much a victory for himself as he does for Maul.

This was my victory as much as Lord Maul's, for it was thanks to my teaching, my training, that he was able to defeat the great Qui-Gon Jinn.

-Star Wars Episode 1 Journal: Darth Maul

---

below Yoda, Mace and arguably other members of the Jedi Council. If you need proof, here is what Sidious also had to say in response to Maul thinking he could take out most of the Council in 1v1s via stealth:

Once again, regardless if this is true or not, it says nothing about Maul's standing relative to Sheev.

---

We have quotes saying that when Maul fights Kenobi and Jinn he believes he will be the strongest fighter in the galaxy, and that he is only slightly behind Sheev because of his (lack of) ability to scheme and not his ability in battle. We have the Hypori fight where Maul nearly defeats Sidious when Maul is able to draw on his reserves to restore his stamina and is staggering Sidious with his blows to the point that Sidious was visibly struggling to keep Maul at bay. We also have Darth Sidious saying that Maul's skill with a blade and as a warrior are peerless, and then another quote saying that Maul is the deadliest Sith warrior in the galaxy - a deadlier warrior than Sidious. Then finally by TPM, we have a quote saying that Maul and Sheev are equally formidable. There is much more supporting parity between Maul and Sheev in TPM than there is supporting a big gap between the two.

Avatar image for hey_thatsmildlyadequate
Hey_Thatsmildlyadequate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless anyone has some Tenebrous feats I see no reason he doesn't get bisected by Maul

Avatar image for deactivated-61215780523f9
deactivated-61215780523f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stops at 2.

Avatar image for greysentinel365
Greysentinel365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stops at 1. Beats 3 though

Lord_Tenebrous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Realistically, the unique toolset of Darth Tenebrous, backed by raw power, experience and mastery comparable to the high tiers, should provide him an edge over most any of the main "prequel" era swordmasters.