• 145 results
TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

@tdk_1997 said:

Midnighter for me.I mean he has battled character that are way better swordsmen than Maul and has defeated characters that are leagues about Maul.

Who are these swordsmen that are apparently "way better swordsmen" than Maul?

Zealot comes first to my mind.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102 juiceboks  Moderator

@tdk_1997 said:

@i_like_swords said:

@tdk_1997 said:

Midnighter for me.I mean he has battled character that are way better swordsmen than Maul and has defeated characters that are leagues about Maul.

Nemesis as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@tdk_1997 said:

@i_like_swords said:

@tdk_1997 said:

Nemesis as well.

What have they done to justify being "way better" than Maul in pure swordsmanship?

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 juiceboks  Moderator

@juiceboks said:

@tdk_1997 said:

@i_like_swords said:

@tdk_1997 said:

Nemesis as well.

What have they done to justify being "way better" than Maul in pure swordsmanship?

I've already discussed this with you for Zealot. Nemesis is more or less her equal in skill.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By TDK_1997

@juiceboks said:

@tdk_1997 said:

@i_like_swords said:

@tdk_1997 said:

Nemesis as well.

Thousands of years of training,being called the best swordsmen on their planet and with almost every single issue that they should be called such things and that their trained well enough to deserve such titles.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997:

Thousands of years of training

Actual showings of skill, accolades, and specific demonstrations of effective training >>> Inferred training/time period measurement

being called the best swordsmen on their planet

Hmm...

Being called the best swordsmen on a single planet vs Being called one of the most skilled, deadly and highly trained swordsmen in galactic history spanning over 5000+ years and billions of beings. I think Maul's accolade is a bit better.

and with almost every single issue that they should be called such things and that their trained well enough to deserve such titles.

I'm fairly willing to bet that in Maul's short 16-17 years of formal training, he gathered far more knowledge, quality of experience, and fighting ability than Zealot or Nemesis in their "thousands of years" of training/experience.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords said:

@juiceboks said:

@tdk_1997 said:

@i_like_swords said:

@tdk_1997 said:

Nemesis as well.

I've already discussed this with you for Zealot. Nemesis is more or less her equal in skill.

Well you certainly didn't convince me because the only thing I actually remember is her "three thousand years" of experience which doesn't alone equate to anything Maul has accomplished.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 juiceboks  Moderator

@i_like_swords Well no offense man, but I'm not really looking to convince you of anything. You asked me a question, I answered, you disagreed, and there we have it. You seem pretty dead-set on your opinion, and I don't see a point in trying to convince you to acknowledge the capabilities of a character you know very little about.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juiceboks: I see.. so in order to debate a point with you about a character I know nothing about, I need to go and buy all their comics?

The burden to disprove Zealot/Nemesis' skill isn't on me, it's on you to prove it, because you are representing them. You can't just tell me they are "way more skilled then Maul" then say I'm being stubborn for not believing you when you haven't even given me any proof, let alone debated the point with me.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

That aggression though.

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By juiceboks  Moderator

@i_like_swords That's not what I'm saying at all. You don't seem open to accept the notion that Zealot or Nemesis are as skilled if not more so than Maul. I know tone is a difficult rhetoric to decipher over the internet..but that's what it appears to be from my end.

Hell, I don't even remember the context of our back and forth much less what proof I gave. That was like a month ago. But I'm sure it was more than "They have 3000 years of experience so therefore they're more skilled". The only thing I remember explicity is that we never came to an agreement, and I don't feel like revisiting an extended discussion again. Not now anyway..

@wolverine08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08 said:

That aggression though.

It's called spirited debating! Stop inciting riots!

@juiceboks said:

That's not what I'm saying at all. You don't seem open to accept the notion that Zealot or Nemesis are as skilled if not more so than Maul.

Not without evidence.

That's what I mean. We never came to a conclusion about it and I can't remember either of us conceding. So it's not like the topic is concluded and no longer open to discussion.

All I'm saying is - if you're going to say someone is "way more skilled" than Maul, to comic vine's resident Darth Maul fanboy, but then not back it up by evidence, then I'm not really going to roll over and concede.

If you don't want to discuss it, that's fine.. but if you didn't want to discuss then I dunno why you continued the topic anyway.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juiceboks said:

@i_like_swords said:

@juiceboks said:

@tdk_1997 said:

@i_like_swords said:

@tdk_1997 said:

Nemesis as well.

Well you certainly didn't convince me because the only thing I actually remember is her "three thousand years" of experience which doesn't alone equate to anything Maul has accomplished.

Well I certainly don't have any scans right now to prove you wrong or to prove me right,so that's all I can say.I mean I am not an expert of the character and know only basic things about Zealot.And I know that she is a pretty good swordsmen and a few have deafeated her.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997: So without really knowing anything significant about either character you just decided that one was "way better" than the other?

Nice going.

Whirlwind_33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Whirlwind_33

@i_like_swords said:

@tdk_1997: So without really knowing anything significant about either character you just decided that one was "way better" than the other?

Nice going.

LOL. The sarcasm is Strong in this One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

@saren: Maul would need to be able to dodge such an attack otherwise he'd get oneshotted.

So what is the debate here? That Maul perfectly dodges every single thing that comes his way and beats his opponent before Midnighter simply slaps him so hard his head falls off his shoulders?

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice going.

I said that I am not an expert with Zealot,not with Midnighter or Maul.I've read most of the stuff Midnighter's appeared in and I know what he is capable of and his feats are more than recognizable for me.Maul is a character I like and I know what he's capable of as well,not the biggest fanboy or some kind of an expert.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997: Uh huh.

Well when you want to justify what you said with evidence let me know.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: Well in a lightsaber duel one swipe can end the fight. Its not like Maul has never been faced with the risk of being one-shotted before.

I think there are some scenarios where Maul could cut Midnighter in half, and vice versa.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#121 frozen  Moderator

Realistically, Midnighter's supercomputer should put him beyond Nanosecond.

Whirlwind_33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Whirlwind_33

@frozen said:

Realistically, Midnighter's supercomputer should put him beyond Nanosecond.

Possibly.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 frozen  Moderator

@whirlwind_33: He should be. Nanosecond is arguably slow for computers; modern supercomputers can operate in the Femtosecond range.

Whirlwind_33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Whirlwind_33

@frozen: In processing info in nanoseconds, yes, but it doesn't really say much for his reflexes. He could still be tagged even after he has calculated a million ways for victory.

shown here

No Caption Provided
frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 frozen  Moderator

@whirlwind_33: Yes, that's because calculating a million/billion situation makes things much easier for him.

Whirlwind_33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By dimitridkatsis

Maul can also be tagged when ready

No Caption Provided

by a kid...... yeah i'm a troll i know.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah i'm a troll i know.

Then why bother? You come into every single Darth Maul thread I make deliberately lowballing him. Nobody takes you seriously.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tdk_1997: Uh huh.

Well when you want to justify what you said with evidence let me know.

Okay,I will let you know.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

People desperately need to stop underselling characters.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People desperately need to stop underselling characters.

Every Star Wars character gets their low points.. and oh boy do they get exploited.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't even call that a low showing. He was was actively gloating and was head butted while talking. That happens to pretty much every villain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave: That's what I said as well on another thread.. but he insists, apparently.

Avatar image for buckshotwashere
BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 51

#134 BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

@i_like_swords: having trouble posting lately so I have to do it from my phone so this will not be in depth. Zealot and nemesis are not just the best sword fighters on one planet. Theyre the best sword fighters on earth and on khera, and khera is a planet of galactic conquerors that highly esteem martial skill. Combat is considered a language, an art, and a religion to them. Sword skill is of great importance in their culture and zealot is considered the best in a world where everyone has had thousands of years to perfect their skills. Shes also had more than 3000 years. Shes only been on earth for 3000 years but was a master before she arrived and since shes an adult shes likely closer to 10000 years old and since she was trained to kill from birth, thats pretty significant.

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

@whirlwind_33: that's the worst example you could have used. Midnighter got downed by Sebastian, a character that's outmaneuvered Majestic. Maul's speed is NOWHERE close. And in mosr other examples of midnighter getting tagged it can easily be argued that he allowed because he knew it wouldn't matter and he wanted to have some fun.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buckshot: It does have significance, and I suppose in terms of pure skill they can hold their own.. but I still see Maul as being better based on everything I know about him. The thousands of years of experience thing just isn't swaying me. If there are actual specific showings of what happened during their training, which would be able to demonstrate just how useful said training is, then I'd definitely consider it. But we can't do a lot with guesswork based on how long they trained and fought for, opposed to what they actually accomplished.

Maul was pulling off insane feats during training when he was 3 years old like surviving on the rural, inhospitable lava planet Mustafar, for 17 days with no provisions as well as a half-broken left arm. He actually killed the natives with rocks, took their armor and weapons and managed to fend for himself during that time period. When he was 3. Goes to show experience isn't everything. He has a lot of other feats and specific demonstrations of his training that support his combat skill as well, which get even more impressive as he ages. And then we get onto his various accolades of skill level and combat knowledge, and his actual feats of combat vs real opponents.. I just haven't seen anything from Zealot and Nemesis to compare at the moment.

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

@i_like_swords: My post was in response to this one of yours.

@tdk_1997:

Thousands of years of training

Actual showings of skill, accolades, and specific demonstrations of effective training >>> Inferred training/time period measurement

being called the best swordsmen on their planet

Hmm...

Being called the best swordsmen on a single planet vs Being called one of the most skilled, deadly and highly trained swordsmen in galactic history spanning over 5000+ years and billions of beings. I think Maul's accolade is a bit better.

and with almost every single issue that they should be called such things and that their trained well enough to deserve such titles.

I'm fairly willing to bet that in Maul's short 16-17 years of formal training, he gathered far more knowledge, quality of experience, and fighting ability than Zealot or Nemesis in their "thousands of years" of training/experience.

You put forth that Maul's accolades were better than Zealot or Nemesis' and I was responding with why that wasn't so. You said that while Zealot was the best on one planet, Maul was one of the best in galactic history spanning 5000 years and billions of beings. Pointing out the planet Khera, and it's blood-soaked culture was done to correct and expound on Zealot being the best on "a single planet". The galactic history you're taking Maul's reputation from covers less than half of Zealot's life. Think about that. It's even been said on Wildstorm Earth that Zealot knows more about combat than the entirety of Earth civilization (it's even been suggested that what the planet Earth knows of combat was heavily influenced by Zealot and what her group, the Coda, brought to Earth). You think Maul's reputation is better because he's one of the best swordsmen over a time period that's not even half as long as Zealot has been honing her skills. I disagree. Added on to that timespan is the intense focus on swordsmanship that makes up for the culture Zealot was raised in. Sure there are billions of beings in the time that Maul is said to be one of the best of, but how many of these beings were focused on combat the way Zealot's entire planet was? Kherans live and breathe close combat and they LOVE swords. They can manipulate reality but prefer to specialize in swordplay. That's a level of focus that I doubt is present in the 5000 years of galactic history Maul's getting his rep from. Additionally, all the people Zealot is claimed to be better than on her planet are also near-immortals trained to kill from birth with thousands of years of swordplay under their belts. And while she's the best on Earth and Khera, it's not like Khera can really be considered one planet. Khera is home to galactic conquerors. And I mean that literally. There's at least one crew of Kherans that has actually conquered numerous galaxies on their own. So it's not like it's just Kherans beating Kherans with no outside exposure. Zealot's people travel the stars and no one has ever been said to be better than her with a blade. I understand that rep isn't everything, I just don't think being one of the best in 5000 years comes anywhere close to being actually the best for twice as long having come from the background that Zealot did. Below isn't really an example of anything in particular (though there are comments about speed an accuracy in the text that might be nice), just something to maybe help you understand the Kheran view of sword based combat and how fundamental it is to their race. Comicvine is still giving me trouble so read it from the bottom to the top.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Im also not really sure what suggests that Maul got more out of a couple decades of formal training than Zealot got out of approximately 10,000 years of formal training and constant warfare. I mean, Zealot can actually hold a conversation with any member of the Coda using nothing but an exchange of blades and blows. She's done it before just to find out information while being observed by Majestic. She sees movement as language like Batgirl does and that's not even something she brags about, its just a small part of her skill, a party trick. The Coda she brought to Earth? The group of her fighters that she broke off from and gave a few thousand years to become a world wide organization of assassins? She wiped them all out on her own, all across the world, except for their very last stronghold. Maul killed some people when he was 3 and has killed a bunch of other people. Cool. Zealot has wiped out her equals in physical ability, skill, and experience (measured in millennia) across the planet just because she thought they were a bad representation of her values.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buckshot:

You put forth that Maul's accolades were better than Zealot or Nemesis' and I was responding with why that wasn't so. You said that while Zealot was the best on one planet, Maul was one of the best in galactic history spanning 5000 years and billions of beings. Pointing out the planet Khera, and it's blood-soaked culture was done to correct and expound on Zealot being the best on "a single planet". The galactic history you're taking Maul's reputation from covers less than half of Zealot's life. Think about that. It's even been said on Wildstorm Earth that Zealot knows more about combat than the entirety of Earth civilization (it's even been suggested that what the planet Earth knows of combat was heavily influenced by Zealot and what her group, the Coda, brought to Earth). You think Maul's reputation is better because he's one of the best swordsmen over a time period that's not even half as long as Zealot has been honing her skills. I disagree. Added on to that timespan is the intense focus on swordsmanship that makes up for the culture Zealot was raised in.

I apologize for my ignorance earlier. Having half-debated the point with juiceboks, and having been told by another that Zealots accolade only spans one planet, I was just sort of thinking "come on.. is this it?"

But you can now consider me informed.

I think I can now confidently concede that Maul isn't as good of a duelist. I mean sure.. the guy has the potential to become like Zealot, providing he became immortal. He had mastered something like 6 martial arts by the time he was thirteen, and had mastered over a dozen forms of combat in total by the time he was 22.

But I mean.. Zealot's combat knowledge exceeding anything to have existed on earth just blows what Maul has out of the water.

Sure there are billions of beings in the time that Maul is said to be one of the best of, but how many of these beings were focused on combat the way Zealot's entire planet was? Kherans live and breathe close combat and they LOVE swords. They can manipulate reality but prefer to specialize in swordplay. That's a level of focus that I doubt is present in the 5000 years of galactic history Maul's getting his rep from.

I would however say that Maul is just as focused on physical combat as Zealot is. It isn't exactly a language for him, but it is what he was essentially born to do. He lived under the harshest conditions imaginable, spent his entire life being subjected to cruel discipline, and did just about nothing other than training to be the ultimate physical warrior. Similar to how the Kherans let reality manipulation take a backseat for physical combat, Maul's training was near enough entirely engineered towards Force-augmented martial arts and swordsmanship, with very little focus on other traditional Force offences like Force Lightning and advanced telekinesis.

I'll let some of these quotes from my Maul respect thread do the talking:

Darth Maul was taken as a child by Darth Sidious himself, to be moulded into the perfect assassin. His training would of killed most other beings, and his discipline and dedication to the dark side and his master is unwavering.

There is no pain where strength lies.

To Darth Maul, it seemed that his master had always been there, a part of his life — implacable, indomitable, inexorable. Since before Maul learned to walk, discipline had been his guiding beacon. Darth Sidious had moulded him from a weak, puling child into the ultimate warrior, sculpting his body and his mind as a seamless weapon. Maul was willing to die for him, without question and without hesitation. Lord Sidious’s goals were the goals of the Sith, and they would be achieved, no matter what the cost.

Maul’s entire existence had consisted of training, of exercise and instruction. Early in his life, before his voice had deepened, Maul had learned the intricate movements and forms of the teräs käsi fighting style, the patterns of movements based on the hunting characteristics of various beasts throughout the galaxy: Charging Wampa, Rancor Rising, Dancing Dragon-snake, and many more. He had practiced gymnastics in environments ranging from zero-g to gravity fields twice that of Coruscant’s. He had mastered the intricate and dangerous use of the double-bladed lightsaber. And all for one purpose: to be the best possible tool of his master’s will.

But he had not learned just how to fight. His master’s teaching had encompassed far more than that. He had also learned stealth, subterfuge, intrigue. What is done in secret has great power."

An excerpt from Maul's journal.

I do not mind waiting. I use my time wisely. Waiting time is training time. Every minute of my life is devoted to learning glorious Sith tradition as well as hard physical training. I keep myself in a constant state of readiness. When I meet the Jedi I will be at the peak of my power. I will be the strongest fighter in the galaxy.

Every training exercise has value, even the most basic ones. For example: One of the earliest training exercises taught by my master consisted of running up a wall. I stared from one end of the training room and ran toward the wall. I took several steps up to the wall with my momentum and then flipped over to land on my feet. I did it over and over, even as my leg muscles burned with fatigue. If I missed, I could have broken my neck. Still, I continued. There is no fear in a Sith. Training drives out fear. The greatest thing I have learned about the Sith tradition is to be prepared to lose my life at any time.

Episode I Journal: Darth Maul

Now.. if at this point you're intrigued enough to want to hear more, I've dropped everything else I've found about Maul's training in a spoiler block below. If you want to learn more about him go ahead and open it up, but you don't have to if you don't want to/don't have the time, because it is a lot of reading. I'm mostly just sharing to show you what kind of character Maul is, if you're curious.

He went through unimaginable physical challenges to get to where he wanted to be.

Leaning forward, he placed his right hand between his knees and lifted himself up off the bench with one arm, holding there for a count of fifty before lowering himself and switching to the other arm. He repeated this exercise ten times for each arm, back and forth. Then using both arms he lifted himself straight up into the air, extending his legs, body held erect until every muscle trembled with the strain.

Maul: Lockdown

Even when Maul was three years old his exercise regime consisted of sit ups, and then alternations between one and two handed push ups.

The chime sounded again. Maul stopped running, fell back against the floor, and began doing a series of sit-ups and leg lifts. After several minutes, the chime sounded, and Maul rolled over to do his push up exercises, alternating between one- and two handed push-ups. Several more minutes passed before the chime sounded again, signalling the exercise session's end. Maul collapsed against the floor.

Star Wars: The Wrath of Darth Maul

When Maul was between the ages of 7-10, he was one day knocked out by his training droid, Deenine. When Maul awoke, he was in the middle of nowhere on the inhospitable lava planet - Mustafar. He had been left with no provisions, no weapons.. nothing. His first instinct was to follow a group of Mustafarians, kill them, and take their food and supplies in order to survive. Maul, using these tactics, endured the harshness of Mustafar for 17 days. He only went to sleep twice. And he wasn't even 10 years old at the time.

His survival instincts are completely supernatural even at such a young age. It's also worth mentioning that he had two broken ribs and a snapped left arm prior to and during this time period.

He pushed himself up. He was on a broad slab of rock on Mustafar's surface. The loud roaring sound came from a nearby rocky vent that was spewing lava. He didn't know how long he'd been outside or even how far he was from Sidous's facility. But he knew he had not arrived at this place on his own.

He looked around. He saw no sign of TD-D9 or Sidious, or of any other kind of shelter. Although they had not taken away the clothes and bandages he was wearing, they had not left him with any provisions. But he did have something to his advantage. He had his training.

Maul was not scared. He felt free. He could live or perish on this hostile world without anyone to tell him what to do. And then he realized he was not in any way eager to die. He became resolved to survive. He would do anything and everything necessary to stay alive.

He saw a dark shape move past the lava vent. Crouching low to the ground, ignoring the pain from his ribs and left arm, he watched with wonder as a tall masked Mustafarian rode by on a massive six-legged lava flea. Two more flea-mounted Mustafarians followed.

Maul had no idea where the Mustafarians were headed, whether they were going to a mining camp or back to their remote village. He would track them, find their food, and steal it. If it became necessary to kill them to ensure his own survival, he would gather rocks to strike them dead or strangle them with his own bandages and broken bones. And then he would find his way back to Sidous and prove that he was indeed a strong boy. He would prove that he feared nothing.

He would earn the respect of his Master.

The Three Mustafarians moved off. Maul followed them.

"Ah, you have returned," Sidious said to Maul, who stood before him in the tapestry-decorated chamber in the Mustafar facility. Sidious was holding a small container of food pellets, which he had been gently pushing into the hovering watery orb to feed the fish. Maul's head was covered with soot and dirt, and his torso was adorned with ill-fitting, bloodstained Mustafarian armor. Looking at the armor, Sidious smiled. "I see you kept busy during your little outing."

The spider-legged droid TD-D9 stood a short distance behind Maul. The droid's right front leg was missing, and one of it's left legs was mangled. "I found him outside, Master Sidious," TD-D9 said, "not far from the landing pad. He'd set a trap. I walked right into it." Raising one of its pincer arms, the droid held out the shattered remains of its front right leg. "Maul could have destroyed me."

Sidious set aside the fish food and looked at Maul skeptically. "Is this true? You could have destroyed the droid?"

"Yes, Master Sidious," Maul replied.

"Then why didn't you?"

Maul tilted his chin toward the droid, "Because I wanted to bring this thing back to you in pieces."

Sidious smiled again. "Maul, do you know how long you were running around on Mustafar's surface?"

Maul grimaced. "I'm not certain, Master Sidious. I fell asleep twice while I was outside."

"Well, I'll tell you, then. You survived outside for seventeen standard days. I doubt very much that many boys your age - and that includes young Mustafarians - could accomplish such a thing without a wealth of provisions and emergency equipment. I commend you."

The Wrath of Darth Maul

Maul, near the end of his time training at the Orsis Academy, took part in the "Gora", an infamous challenge in which a cadet is left in inhospitable conditions with nothing more a vibroblade. He is to survive for seven days, while killing a variety of large predators constantly. Not only did Maul survive - he had the time of his life, going as far as to kill these predators for sport.

For Maul, the current exercise was merely a warm-up for a bigger challenge on Orsis, an Academy rite of passage called the Gora. Named after the challenge's location, an immense volcanic crater filled with dense forsts, vast swamps, and bloodthirsty beasts. The Gora required a cadet to traverse the crater for seven days, surviving without food or equipment except for a single vibroblade.

The first day of the Gora was beyond intense.

The second day was even more brutal.

The third, fourth, fifth, and sixth days were increasingly bloody. And Maul was having the time of his life.

Countless wild predators kept him constantly occupied as well as sleepless. Except for his heightened senses and physical strength, he did not use the Force in any obvious way. With his vibroblade more often in his hand than in the sheath strapped to his upper leg, he moved like a jungle animal through the forests and grassy swamps that filled the enormous crater, killing some beasts in self-defence, some for food, and others for sheer sport.

Note* He didn't finish the 7th day because his attempt at the Gora was interrupted by a third party.

He performs a lightsaber exercise consisting of 10,000 slashes, hundreds of times, per day.

When I complete my basic exercises, I power up my double-bladed lightsaber and practice maneuvers. My body is as strong as durasteel and as fluid as water. I shift from one position of attack to another. I fall on one knee and slash my lightsaber as I imagine cleaving my victim cleanly. I roll away and grip my lightsaber with both hands for a vertical sweep. I leap and twist and come down, leading with my left shoulder. I deliver a death blow and leap away, somersaulting in the air. I perform ten thousand slashes, lunges, attacks.

My lightsaber is no longer a separate weapon, but part of my arm. I move in the time it would take my opponent to blink. I move in the time he would take to raise his weapon. He would only see the space where I had been. He would feel the sudden shock of the blow that would knock him to the floor. I do these maneuvers a hundred times a day. I do them even though my body knows them intimately, even though I have not made a mistake or a misstep in years. I do them until the memory of the movement is part of the muscle itself. The goal of the Sith is to fight without thought.

Episode I Journal: Darth Maul

Even during his combat training, he faced opponents willing and programmed to kill him.

The dueling droids were programmed to kill. There were four of them, top-of-the-line Duelist Elites from Trang Robotics, all armed in different ways: one with a steel rapier, one with a heavy cudgel, the third with a short length of chain, and the last with a pair of double-edged hachete fighting blades as long and wide as a human’s forearm. They had been programmed with the skills of a dozen martial arts masters, and their reflexes were calibrated just a hair faster than human optimum. Their durasteel chassis were blaster-resistant. They had come factory-equipped with behavioral inhibitors that prevented them from delivering a death blow once their opponent had been beaten, but these inhibitors had been nullified by their new owner. A mistake against one would be fatal. Darth Maul did not make mistakes.

Darth Maul Shadow Hunter

Yet they prove little challenge to Maul..

Darth Maul exhaled , relaxed his stance, and nodded. His heart rate had accelerated perhaps five beats above normal at most. There was the faintest sheen of perspiration on his forehead; otherwise his skin was dry. Perhaps sixty seconds had elapsed from start to finish. Maul frowned slightly. Not his personal best, by any means. It was one thing to face and defeat droids. Jedi were a different matter.

Darth Maul Shadow Hunter

A similar exercise in comic form:

After Maul's training at the Orsis Academy, he returned to Mustafar with Sidious. He spent the next fourteen days enduring the hardest tests Sidious had ever set out for him. He didn't just pass them - he "destroyed" them.

Sidious and Maul returned to Mustafar. For fourteen days, Sidious put Maul through a series of grueling physical tests. Maul defended himself against lightsaber wielding droids in the training room. Blindfolded, he threw daggers at robotic targets, which threw the daggers back at him. He was blindfolded again before he climbed into a starship flight simulator wired with disciplinary electrodes. He wore a sensory-deprivation suit when he ran through a maze that was lined with razor-edged walls, and also when he was deposited into a previously unexplored Mustafarian cave. In locked chambers, he was exposed to extreme temperatures and deprived of food. For each test, he drew strength from the dark side of the Force.

However.. despite Maul's success, these tests were just preliminaries to a much harder test.. the actual test for Maul to become a Sith Lord.

When the fourteen days were over, Maul was exhausted. His entire body ached as he stood before Sidious in the meeting room. Not only had he passed every test, he had destroyed every test. However, his Master always expected more from him, so he was not entirely surprised when Sidious said, "Because you have survived the preliminaries, you may proceed to the actual test to become a Sith Lord."

Maul willed his body to remain standing.

"I am sending you to a planet in the Outer Rim," Sidious continued. "It is made up of three kinds of terrain. Desert, swamp and mountains. You will have at least three matches on each terrain. I have sent a fleet of assassin droids to attack you. Each is programmed with different strategies. Some will work together. Some will work alone. They are all are programmed to kill."

Maul turned to face his master. Although Maul remained silent, the fire in his eyes betrayed his surprise. And his excitement.

Sidious noticed Maul's reaction. "That is correct. I am prepared to lose what I most value. So must you be to become a Sith. You must be prepared to lose your own life in order to win.

Maul nodded. "I understand, my Master."

"You will have to survive for a month," Sidious added. "You will only have a survival pack."

Despite his exhaustion, Maul felt exhilarated. He was determined to prove he was the best apprentice in the history of the Sith.

The Wrath of Darth Maul

Needless to say, the trial was extremely difficult.

The assassin droids were relentless. Programmed to fight to the death, they had blasters built into their chests and hands. No matter how hard Maul tried to conceal himself or his desperately improvised camps, the droids found him. They never slept, never allowed Maul to sleep for very long, never hesitated before they pounced. When Maul did manage to rest and recover, he fell asleep knowing he would be awakened by an attack.

The droids drove him into the frozen mountains and across the burning deserts. Maul's survival pack was torn from his back and lost in one battle. And after twenty days, Maul realized he was at risk of losing something else. His mind.

Because the attacks never stopped.

Maul was beyond paranoid. He had reason to believe that every sound, every shape, and every shadow on Hypori was a potential threat.

He grew thin and his strength began to ebb. He foraged for food when he could. Life was scarce on Hypori, but he found a few small animals, killed them, and ate them raw, because he dared not risk building a fire that would attract more droids.

It was when he was trying to eat a tough-skinned lizard at the base of a cliff that two droids attacked. Maul defeated both droids but sustained a blaster wound to his thigh. Limping into a ravine, he found a large cave and hauled his body into it. Maul knew he had to recover before he could fight again. But without his survival pack, he had no healing bacta or bandages.

The Wrath of Darth Maul

His trial was concluded by Sidious after this point.

Additionally, all the people Zealot is claimed to be better than on her planet are also near-immortals trained to kill from birth with thousands of years of swordplay under their belts. And while she's the best on Earth and Khera, it's not like Khera can really be considered one planet. Khera is home to galactic conquerors. And I mean that literally. There's at least one crew of Kherans that has actually conquered numerous galaxies on their own. So it's not like it's just Kherans beating Kherans with no outside exposure. Zealot's people travel the stars and no one has ever been said to be better than her with a blade.

Well, to be fair.. the Sith, for thousands of years, have been conquering the Galaxy on and off. I'll let Wookieepedia do the talking for this one.. I know it's not exactly a canon source but I think this particular segment is reliable enough to get my point across:

A star system, also known as a planetary system or simply a system, was a group of bodies orbiting a star. Star systems usually consisted of one or more planets, and the debris remaining from the formation of the primary planets and central star, such as comets and asteroids.

The galactic standard approach to naming star systems was to base the name off the central star or planet.

There are 7,100,000,000 stars in the known galaxy, with approximately 3,200,000,000 habitable star systems. Only about a billion of these systems have life. Only 69,000,000 of those systems meet population requirements for Imperial representation. All star systems are given coordinates that are used by navicomputers to permit space travel. Some star systems were unnamed, and were only known by their numerical designation.

The Sith, during The Old Republic time era, conquered half of the galaxy. The Sith armies were not newcomers to conquering vast amounts of space. Here is a map of the Galaxy:

No Caption Provided

You'll notice, from the center of the map, and then downwards, you will see titles like "Deep Core" "Mid Rim" and "Outer Rim". These are sort of like the main areas of the galaxy. A star system in the outer rim orbits pretty far away from the center of the galaxy, for example.

Now for a more specific example, I'll show you just what kind of galactic-level conquering Maul has accomplished single-handedly.

No Caption Provided

The Black Sun crime syndicate essentially spanned over the entire known galaxy, from the Core Star Systems to the Outer Rim Star Systems. Every planet. Maul took down this crime syndicate single handedly, killing their leader, and every single Vigo, apart from one.

Now.. 10 years later after Maul emerged from his "death", even more impressively - Maul is currently Mandalore. He is the leader of the Mandalorians, a race of humans living on the planet Mandalore. Mandalore holds influence overs thousands of neutral Star Systems. So that's a good starting point. But what else?

Maul has formed his own organization known as The Shadow Collective, which is the combined forces of The Black Sun, The Pikes, The Hutts and the Mandalorians. You already know how powerful and influential the Black Sun is, now consider that the Hutts are even more powerful and influential than them, and well.. I don't really know anything about the Pikes.

But yeah.. Maul has, off his own initiative, formed a galaxy-spanning military force of some of the most powerful crime syndicates in history, as well as earned the rulership of an entire planet. Emperor Palpatine himself (who holds the influence over the entire galaxy, seeing as he is the Sith, tells the Jedi what to do under their own noses, is the leader of the Galactic Senate, and also behind the scenes commands the Trade Federation which is at war with the Repubic Palpatine is in total control of) has deemed Maul and his organization a legitimate threat to his empire, and is currently seeking to destroy him. That's pretty decent if you ask me.

Im also not really sure what suggests that Maul got more out of a couple decades of formal training than Zealot got out of approximately 10,000 years of formal training and constant warfare. I mean, Zealot can actually hold a conversation with any member of the Coda using nothing but an exchange of blades and blows. She's done it before just to find out information while being observed by Majestic. She sees movement as language like Batgirl does and that's not even something she brags about, its just a small part of her skill, a party trick. The Coda she brought to Earth? The group of her fighters that she broke off from and gave a few thousand years to become a world wide organization of assassins? She wiped them all out on her own, all across the world, except for their very last stronghold. Maul killed some people when he was 3 and has killed a bunch of other people. Cool. Zealot has wiped out her equals in physical ability, skill, and experience (measured in millennia) across the planet just because she thought they were a bad representation of her values.

Yeah, Zealot definitely has the better track record here.. more knowledge, better accolades, and more accomplishments.

Maul has gone down as one of the best Sith in the entire orders history. He's casually defeated Qui-Gon Jinn and his then-apprentice Obi-Wan - Qui-Gon who was said to be one of the best pure swordsmen the Jedi had ever produced (in 25,000+ years) and who apparently peered Mace Windu (the second best Jedi swordsman in history) although this is debatable seeing as Qui-Gon hasn't done anything to put him at Mace's equal.

He's then went on to defeat Obi-Wan Kenobi in combat during The Clone Wars, who is also said to be one of the best Jedi swordsmen to have come from the order.

Maul has mastered two forms of lightsaber combat, has mastered over a dozen martial arts (some being described as exotic and forbidden), has mastered the use of the Saberstaff which is said to be intricate, dangerous and requires perfect atunement even from an experience Force user, as well as single blade combat and dual blade combat, and he is also proficient in Niman, the 6th lightsaber form. Most notably he has mastered Teras Kasi, a martial art originally designed for non-Force users to go up against Jedi.

Even then, he isn't really scraping Zealot. But I think he could contend with her at the very least due to his speed and notable skill.

In any case, you've enlightened me on just what tier of beings inhabit the Wildstorm Universe, and I've learned a lot about Zealot as a swordswoman. So thanks for that. I hope I've represented Maul well enough for him to have gained some respect.

In terms of this thread.. Midnighter wins.. decisively. Someone who deliberately prolongs a fight with Zealot because they like fighting.. I'm not even going to go there xD

BuckshotWasHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139 BuckshotWasHere  Moderator

@i_like_swords: No need to apologize, we're here to learn more about these characters, none of us knows everything. For instance, you showed me a lot about Maul in that last post. A lot to look through. I like your read of the Zealot/Midnighter fight. I find that some people are quick to call it a low showing for one or both of them, but I think it makes both characters look good.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buckshot:

I like your read of the Zealot/Midnighter fight. I find that some people are quick to call it a low showing for one or both of them, but I think it makes both characters look good.

I remember there were all different versions of the context flying around for that fight, then I think it was either you or another Wildstorm expert who posted the scans and explained it properly. Funnily enough, it actually does make Zealot look good in the way that Midnighter thought she was worthy of a prolonged fight.

Eisenfauste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Off-topic: this thread made me want to read more about midnighter

On-topic: Maul with TK could win, in terms of swordsmanship midnighter wins

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 10

With these conditions I'd take Midnighter. Without his battle computer this would be an interesting fight as Midnighter is still very capable without it.

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#143  Edited By Erkan12

Does midnighter have any resistance to TK ? Otherwise Maul TK stomps him.

Neck snapping

No Caption Provided

Leg cracking

No Caption Provided

Heart squishing

No Caption Provided

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers