• Win by Death.
  • Standard weapons.
  • Both are in character.
  • Start 20 ft. apart.
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for jedisupermaster
#2 Posted by Jedisupermaster (1811 posts) - - Show Bio

I can see Maul closing the distance before Exar can use his Drain. And in close combat, Exar stands 0 chance. Maul is superior duelist.

#3 Edited by cmcmcmcm (849 posts) - - Show Bio

I give Kun the win.

While Darth Maul can win for sure in a Saber duel, Kun can more than hold his own due to his great skill of his time, and his custom Lightsaber that would catch Maul of guard. Maul while as fast as the next Jedi name character is not blitzing at all. He could not blitz a Madalorian in a saber fight he is not "blitzing" here by the main canon.

What really wins this for Kun is his Sith magic, and superior force abilities. Illusions through Sorcery is not the same as what Maul has withstood, added to this is the Sith gauntlets that can blow apart starships would one shot Maul.

#4 Posted by ShootingNova (25691 posts) - - Show Bio

Kun does not stand "zero chance" against TPM Maul (I'm assuming that this is the iteration based on the picture). Kun is at most slightly beneath him as a swordsman, if not his equal. In terms of sheer speed, Maul has the better feats, since, as a comic character, Kun is mostly limited to generating afterimages. He has, however generated just as many afterimages as Maul ever has in a comic, so that could be an argument for them being similarly fast. Another argument could be brought up relating their other physical traits, which are roughly equal, so assuming that their passive augmentations of physical traits are even, then their speed should be even as well. Of course, neither of these are particularly strong arguments, but it's better than suggesting that Maul has such a tremendous speed edge that he would win just by that.

Strength and stamina-wise, both of them are rather impressive in this area - probably equal. To me, the main deciding factor that gives Kun the majority over TPM Maul is his Force Blasts and Drain.

#5 Posted by itzxsloth345 (756 posts) - - Show Bio

Kun takes it, hes just overall better. Just because he lives in a less fleshed out era compared to the main star wars era, that doesnt take away the sheer scale of some of his feats. His force blasts and drain for sure seal the win for him.

#6 Posted by sXe619 (544 posts) - - Show Bio

Exar Kun due to superior Force abilities.

#7 Posted by GoldenStar66 (1198 posts) - - Show Bio

@shootingnova: Yes, this is TPM Maul. I should have confirmed the versions specifically.

#8 Edited by i_like_swords (26198 posts) - - Show Bio
@cmcmcmcm said:

He could not blitz a Madalorian in a saber fight he is not "blitzing" here by the main canon.

He pretty much could have, considering Filoni confirmed that the fight was a joke and Maul was just trying to make it look convincing, and that the only reason they made the fight scene was to prevent fans of Viszla from being upset.

Loading Video...

This sword fight - that's a whole act, practically. To do it right, to make it exciting - that's a whole act, because the fans of Pre Vizsla, are gonna mob me at Celebration in the future if, if Vizsla goes down too easily. This is not going to be a Boba Fett into the Sarlacc pit.

#9 Posted by i_like_swords (26198 posts) - - Show Bio

And yeah, I would call it a split in a straight duel but Kun has an astronomical edge in terms of Force power, so I would give him a 6/10 here. He only gets a 6 because of the fact he pretty much never uses his Force powers in dueling scenarios, and would more than likely want to outduel Maul.

#10 Posted by ShootingNova (25691 posts) - - Show Bio

@i_like_swords: He only has such a big edge when you include his gauntlets. Otherwise, his own telekinetic feats aren't much better.

#11 Edited by i_like_swords (26198 posts) - - Show Bio

@shootingnova: That's true.. although if you believe him to be the most powerful Dark Lord up to his time, he should be more powerful than Ludo Kressh, who did this pretty casually:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

#12 Edited by cmcmcmcm (849 posts) - - Show Bio

@i_like_swords: wow, I stand corrected. He is faster than humans I guess, but this begs the question how fast is Maul then by main canon. In the movies and clone wars super fast Jedi like Obi Wan, Anakin, and other Jedi all shown comparable speeds to Cad Bane, IG 88 droids, Jango Fett, Aura Sin, and many many more peak humans in speed 100s of times over. The whole speed blitz arguments for Jedi vs. Jedi scenarios always seem to come from the handful of novel quotes over the very large sum of canon feats that show maybe above Mach speed at best of times. All in all no argument of Jedi vs Jedi should EVER be limited to "Jedi/Sith speed blitz the other Jedi/Sith"

That IMO over my experience and love with the franchise movies, show, and games.

#13 Edited by i_like_swords (26198 posts) - - Show Bio

@cmcmcmcm: There's a distinction to be made between Legends Canon, and official Canon. I made a blog about it if you wanna read.

I don't know what you're referring to in regards to people summing matches up as simply as "speedblitz". Speedblitzing tends to only be a factor in Legends EU because speed has always been a prevalent factor in combat in those novels, comics ect. In main canon everything is toned down somewhat from the speed to the variety and potency of Force powers shown. In Legends, Sidious would speedblitz Darth Maul. Going by Canon only, he wouldn't defeat him by virtue of speed because a speed disparity hasn't ever been detailed on-screen.

#14 Edited by Jueix (2420 posts) - - Show Bio

Exar Kun wins.

#15 Edited by ShootingNova (25691 posts) - - Show Bio

@i_like_swords: Didn't receive a notification for some reason. I was referring to Exar Kun's two telekinetic feats of wrecking an old and decrepit Odan-Urr, and casually hurling the rather unimpressive Sylvar.

#16 Posted by i_like_swords (26198 posts) - - Show Bio

@shootingnova: I know, but I was saying he's probably better telekinetically than his feats alone show us.

#17 Posted by ShootingNova (25691 posts) - - Show Bio

@i_like_swords: That's because we haven't seen him fully exert himself. The same could be said for Maul, though.

#18 Posted by i_like_swords (26198 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Posted by cmcmcmcm (849 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Posted by cmcmcmcm (849 posts) - - Show Bio

@i_like_swords: nice blog, and the end of it is something I noticed the past year and agree with. The Main inconsistent feats are mostly from he Novels. The Shows, Movies, Comics, and Video Games are pretty realistic and consistent, but it seems Novels make them all Iron Man to Superman level.

Avatar image for jedisupermaster
#21 Posted by Jedisupermaster (1811 posts) - - Show Bio

Kun does not stand "zero chance" against TPM Maul (I'm assuming that this is the iteration based on the picture). Kun is at most slightly beneath him as a swordsman, if not his equal. In terms of sheer speed, Maul has the better feats, since, as a comic character, Kun is mostly limited to generating afterimages. He has, however generated just as many afterimages as Maul ever has in a comic, so that could be an argument for them being similarly fast. Another argument could be brought up relating their other physical traits, which are roughly equal, so assuming that their passive augmentations of physical traits are even, then their speed should be even as well. Of course, neither of these are particularly strong arguments, but it's better than suggesting that Maul has such a tremendous speed edge that he would win just by that.

Strength and stamina-wise, both of them are rather impressive in this area - probably equal. To me, the main deciding factor that gives Kun the majority over TPM Maul is his Force Blasts and Drain.

Well, feats-wise, Maul is, in my opinion, at least a little bit faster. And in a close combat, he is much more skilled. But i assume you can give me some lightsaber combat feats of those force-users who had been defeated by Kun. I'll wait.

#22 Posted by AnimePhantom (173 posts) - - Show Bio

This fight could end in just a couple of moves for kun or maul

#23 Posted by SirFizzWhizz (37749 posts) - - Show Bio

Kun still.

#24 Posted by silentbat (1344 posts) - - Show Bio

What is everyone's updated opinions?

#25 Posted by lukespeedblitz (1609 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Edited by Emperordmb (1987 posts) - - Show Bio
@SilentBat said:

Exar Kun, he can at the very least match Maul in a martial contest and exceed him in his command of the Force IMO

#27 Posted by WollfMyth209 (16489 posts) - - Show Bio
@SilentBat said:

Exar Kun, he can at the very least match Maul in a martial contest and exceed him in his command of the Force IMO

Drastically exceed, at that, tbh. Not sure if ragdoll worthy, but the difference is large.

#28 Posted by noobsnowman (3623 posts) - - Show Bio

Exar Kun in an all out fight, but I actually think Maul takes this in a pure lightsaber duel.

#29 Posted by bigsambino87 (1754 posts) - - Show Bio

Darth Maul is one of the purest warriors that the Sith have ever known. Exar Kun is a revered Sith Lord, admired for his power and dueling ability. Both wield the saber staff. The fight is going to be insanely close. One mistake would end in death.

Exar has superior control over the Force, and Maul is most likely the superior duelist. I'm going to say Darth Maul, though. I think we often underestimate Maul, simply because he isn't a Force behemoth like Sidious or Plagueis or Bane. He is considered to be one of the best duelists the Sith have ever produced, and that should not be overlooked, considering all the impressive names on the list. Maul 6/10.

#30 Posted by sXe619 (544 posts) - - Show Bio

Exar Kun. A lightsaber duel would be incredibly close, though when factoring in Force Power, Kun takes the clear victory.

#31 Posted by JarJarBinks (308 posts) - - Show Bio

Maul. Though admittedly, I don't know too much about Kun. Though personally, what I've seen doesn't impress me as much as Maul.

#32 Posted by ZiggyStardust (375 posts) - - Show Bio

Maul wins via Sith Sorcery

#33 Posted by G1d3on (199 posts) - - Show Bio

@emperordmb said:

Exar Kun, he can at the very least match Maul in a martial contest

Nah.

@emperordmb said:

and exceed him in his command of the Force IMO

Yeah.

#34 Posted by Erkan12 (8391 posts) - - Show Bio

Saber duel isn't close, Maul has just better feats than Kun, so Maul takes that. And Kun takes the Force by his Sith Sorcery skills, he isn't going to beat TCW Maul with TK, but he has Sorcery edge against Maul.

#35 Edited by SithRevenant (1165 posts) - - Show Bio

@erkan12: His ability to perfectly match Ulic in physicals and skill for hours before he 'updated' his fighting style to a far better one is definitely enough to give Maul a very hard fight.

His TK feats as a weak spirit are far greater than Maul's prime TK feats.

#36 Edited by ShootingNova (25691 posts) - - Show Bio

Kun vs Maul in lightsabers is debatable. There, I think Maul would probably edge it out in an incredibly close duel. With respects to the Force, there's no debate. Kun is several orders of Force Power (and knowledge) beyond Maul.

#37 Posted by WollfMyth209 (16489 posts) - - Show Bio

Kun is several orders of Force Power (and knowledge) beyond Maul.

Bit of an overstatement, tbh. But yeah, a substantial Force edge is in Kun's corner and he wins through that.

#38 Posted by ShootingNova (25691 posts) - - Show Bio

@wollfmyth209: Maybe "a couple" would be more accurate than "several", but you get my point. Maul is completely outclassed in the realm of the Force.

#39 Posted by WollfMyth209 (16489 posts) - - Show Bio

@shootingnova: Well, clearly. But I think it has more to do with Kun's versatility, than just outright power. For example, I can see him exercising telekinetic superiority quite a bit, but not completely ragdolling.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a98875cd0f94
#40 Posted by deactivated-5a98875cd0f94 (2257 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm... Maul is not exactly so better as a duelist, and Kun's unorthodox weapon might catch Maul off guard. Maul is not familiar with Kun's saberstaff but Kun is familiar with Maul's saberstaff. So, maybe it's kinda equal in dueling, maybe Maul. Force wise, Maul is good with TK, but Kun has mastered darker abilities such as those Force blasts, and Sith sorcery, that are alien to Maul that was trained as an assassin not an actual Sith Lord. Physically, Maul is better. No doubt. I'll give Kun the majority just because of his Force abilities, and he would last A LOT in a pure saber duel.

#41 Posted by TheVivas (19429 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for deactivated-5a98875cd0f94
#42 Posted by deactivated-5a98875cd0f94 (2257 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheVivas: Maul has kicked through torsos, he has kicked Obi-Wan several floors down, nearly killing him, he easily punched, kicked and I think even broke Pre Vizsla's bones. Pre Vizsla was the best Mandalorian warrior of the time (Jango had died and Boba was still a kid.) He has tanked Force Lightning, knocked Kenobi out cold with a punch, he was trained from infancy to be a physical powerhouse, he had a very good physique, his species was good physically. He also had a very high pain threshold (resisting Force Lightning), easily discarding the deep cuts Vizsla's things made on his face, and surviving fourteen days of exposure to extreme temperatures (hot and cold) while deprived of food and sleep, followed by thirty days of isolation on Hypori, where he was chased by hordes of experienced assassin droids who knew his fighting style, and having to eat raw animals in order to survive. He barely slept. Then his master appeared, and instead of helping him he said Maul was nothing more than a fake, and that his real apprentice had defeated the droids and easily survived. Maul saw Sidious as a father figure, and was forced to duel him. He still managed to made Sidious' hand bleed by biting it. He was famished, thirsty, probably sick and infected, and mentally and morally broken. Tell me any feats Kun has to surpass this.

#43 Posted by WollfMyth209 (16489 posts) - - Show Bio

Sabers goes either way; Force and all-out goes to Kun.

#44 Posted by Slayedigneel (1920 posts) - - Show Bio

Sabers goes either way; Force and all-out goes to Kun.

#45 Posted by noobsnowman (3623 posts) - - Show Bio

Maul takes sabers barely, Kun takes the rest.

#46 Posted by Lord_Tenebrous (2028 posts) - - Show Bio

Kun with difficulty. Superior duelist and a superior Force user.

#47 Posted by Erkan12 (8391 posts) - - Show Bio

Maul takes sabers barely, Kun takes the rest.

Barely? Maul stomps the sabers, lol.

#48 Posted by SithRevenant (1165 posts) - - Show Bio

@erkan12: Given Kun's essentially the GOAT duelist of the ancient Sith besides being, by far, more powerful than any of them. Then he scales pretty monstrously off of Muur, who pressed Krayt in a duel. A Krayt who'd spent a century perfecting his combat skills after giving post-ROTS Kenobi a very good fight.

In other words, scaling suggests that a duelist like Kun or Hord is definitely hanging with someone like Kenobi.

#49 Edited by Erkan12 (8391 posts) - - Show Bio

@sithrevenant: Do you realise how much the Sith has become more powerful through the years?

''Ultimately, Bane's plan produced more powerful Sith Lords with every generation.''

Star Wars: Force & Destiny

And;

''The Sith had changed. The Sith had grown, had adapted, had invested a thousand years' intensive study into every aspect of not only the Force but Jedi lore itself, in preparation for exactly this day. The Sith had remade themselves.

They had become new. While the Jedi-The Jedi had spent that same millennium training to refight the last war.''

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith Novel