Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

@lamlam:

Indeed, which is why I didn't mention that in my post.

Tis nice to try and paint a full picture.

Kenobi does attribute his difficulty with defending himself to Krayt's experience in the sand, which is what matters.

Indeed, and while I can acknowledge that Krayt had a terrain edge because they were standing on some sand, I'm not sure how good of a time you'll have asserting that it prevents the showing from eclipsing Vader's own (if that's your plan). Especially considering this was Krayt well prior to his prime, which is worth about as much as Obi-Wan having sand in his sandles.

The author confirmed that Kenobi won by cutting the arm off, then Force pushing it.

The novel states these actions happened simultaneously, but if you have a quote of Ryder contradicting his own work then I'll be happy to agree with you.

You also seem to be ignoring that Hett actually did very well for himself prior to losing.

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@night4345: Better maneurvability and mobility? Obi-Wan was in his mid thirties I believe, making Krayt/Hett in his twenties. Realistically, people are more mobile/move easier in their twenties. I'm not saying that was the biggest factor, because it probably was the smallest imo. But if you take into account Krayt was more used to fighting in the desert, he was younger, and even though he kept his reflexes sharp Obi-Wan admitted that he hadn't used his saber in combat for some time, all of those played in to Krayt giving Obi-Wan a rough time and being on the "winning" side of the duel for a majority of the fight.

LamLam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By LamLam

@i_like_swords:

Tis nice to try and paint a full picture.

I'm already well aware of the full picture, bro.

Indeed, and while I can acknowledge that Krayt had a terrain edge because they were standing on some sand, I'm not sure how good of a time you'll have asserting that it prevents the showing from eclipsing Vader's own (if that's your plan).

?

Krayt, with an edge in terrain, lost to Kenobi. Vader, without any edge in terrain, was even with Kenobi. It's pretty obvious what feat is better.

Especially considering this was Krayt well prior to his prime, which is worth about as much as Obi-Wan having sand in his sandles.

Thing is, there is nothing that suggests Krayt became more skilled as a Sith Lord. One migth even argue that Krayt lost some of his skill because he didn't use a lightsaber very often.

The novel states these actions happened simultaneously

Not true. Per the novel, he cuts it off after Force pushing Krayt. There is no way Kenobi's lightsaber could have ''swept up and through Hett's right arm'' as he didn't cut the arm in half, only severed it from the torso.

Quickly raising his left hand, Ben used the Force to push out at Hett, shoving him back through the air as Ben's lightsaber swept up and through Hett's right arm.

Regardless: "…the arm was not Force pulled off. Certainly would be a lot messier than the surgical precision of a lightsaber. Probably bleed to death though…"

You also seem to be ignoring that Hett actually did very well for himself prior to losing.

Hett doing well doesn't matter when the singular reason he did so well was because of the circumstances. When you think about it, losing to an out-of-practice Kenobi with an edge in terrain isn't very impressive.

Next respond will come tomorrow, if needed.

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@thevivas said:

@night4345: Better maneurvability and mobility? Obi-Wan was in his mid thirties I believe, making Krayt/Hett in his twenties. Realistically, people are more mobile/move easier in their twenties. I'm not saying that was the biggest factor, because it probably was the smallest imo. But if you take into account Krayt was more used to fighting in the desert, he was younger, and even though he kept his reflexes sharp Obi-Wan admitted that he hadn't used his saber in combat for some time, all of those played in to Krayt giving Obi-Wan a rough time and being on the "winning" side of the duel for a majority of the fight.

No, I meant how did Kenobi's age factor into the fight? Did the narration say Obi-Wan's age made a difference? Obi-Wan was 40 while Hett was 30 when they fought; in comparison Count Dooku was in his 80's and Mace Windu was in his 50's but don't have trouble keeping up with people atleast half their age if not more in Dooku's case.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lamlam:

Krayt, with an edge in terrain, lost to Kenobi. Vader, without any edge in terrain, was even with Kenobi. It's pretty obvious what feat is better.

Krayt, with an edge in terrain that is being overblown like hell, held a solid advantage over Kenobi until the climax of their fight, absolutely ages before his prime as a physical combatant. Vader fought evenly with an older, weaker, and less skilled Kenobi as the version he is in this thread. You're reaching.

Thing is, there is nothing that suggests Krayt became more skilled as a Sith Lord. One migth even argue that Krayt lost some of his skill because he didn't use a lightsaber very often.

I'm not sure why he wouldn't. He still made rather healthy use of his lightsaber against the likes of Cade and the Imperial Knights and was never stated as decreasing in skill. And as he grew in power drastically and therefore physical prowess passively in the process, which ties in directly with lightsaber combat, an increase in skill is more than likely. And really, taking a look at just about any combat-seasoned Force sensitive will tell you that skill increase are more often than not a certainty. I'm not even stating this as fact, I'm just saying it's better than saying his skill would have stayed stagnant or decreased.

Not true. Per the novel, he cuts it off after Force pushing Krayt. There is no way Kenobi's lightsaber could have ''swept up and through Hett's right arm'' as he didn't cut the arm in half, only severed it from the torso.

Quickly raising his left hand, Ben used the Force to push out at Hett, shoving him back through the air as Ben's lightsaber swept up and through Hett's right arm.

Ben was in the process of shoving Hett through the air, as, he cut through his arm. They happened simultaneously.

Regardless: "…the arm was not Force pulled off. Certainly would be a lot messier than the surgical precision of a lightsaber. Probably bleed to death though…"

Of course his arm wasn't pulled off by telekinesis. I'm just saying that Ben pushed Krayt at the same time as he cut his arm off.

Hett doing well doesn't matter when the singular reason he did so well was because of the circumstances.

Proof that the sand, Kenobi being just two years older than his RotS self, and not having picked up a lightsaber in a while are the "singular reasons" for why Krayt did so well? The sand is a minute edge, Krayt being better physically than Kenobi just two years after RotS is a good physical feat, considering his physicals even increase later on (and one he can bring to this fight), and, Jedi rely heavily on muscle memory for lightsaber combat more so than rigorous practice, as per Vos picking up his lightsaber and telekinesis without an issue even at the height of his amnesia.

See, I'm more of the mind that these edges are being overblown to hell and Krayt might just be quite a skilled fighter.

When you think about it, losing to an out-of-practice Kenobi with an edge in terrain isn't very impressive.

When you think about it, it's not difficult to see that you're attempting to interpret this fight from the most slanted viewpoint possible in order to push a personal agenda.

Next respond will come tomorrow, if needed.

Take all the time you need.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By sirfizzwhizz

@i_like_swords: you sir are awesome to be defending Krayt.

I myself see a even battle myself. Krayt skill from what feats he has matches Vader roughly, Krayts speed and durability as well matches. Vader being the stronger by a margin.

In terms of Force, Krayt is close to Vader IMO with his Force Defense and own TK feats to not get rag dolled by Vader.

Krayt does have Force Drain, but Vader has defense for that.

Krayt has a powerful Force Lightning, but Vader can protect himself with Lightsaber or Tutamimis.

Krayt is a tough Sith Lord, but I feel Vader would win in a hard fight.

The biggest adavatage would be the Shatterpoint Dark Transfer which no one has a defense to. That would end Vader who has many flaws to rip apart with a single touch to his body.

So it would be a hard battle, and with no knowledge of Krayts Shatter Point Dark Transfer, I can see Krayt taking a win as well.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirfizzwhizz: I don't see it as even against ANH Vader. Krayt should be more skilled and faster. Vader is more durable, and really, Krayt should be strong enough not to be too bothered by Vader's strength.. due to punching holes in Abeloth.

When Cade first started training, he was throwing the best part of a starfighter with telekinesis, and at that point, the likes of Nihl were challenging Cade with TK here and there. Not only did Krayt ragdoll Nihl completely, but so did Cade upon improving further. And then, when Cade reached his prime, Krayt pretty easily dominated Cade with telekinesis in their final fight, albeit it not to the same extent he ragdolled Nihl earlier. Krayt's TK is definitely high enough in order to prevent Vader from pushing too large of an advantage on that front.

Vader does have defences to lightning, but Krayt still has it, and it should be more useful than Vader's TK to say the least.

Krayt also has dark transfer, which, needless to say, would absolutely wreck Vader's already battered body should he manage to land with it.

Overall the best edges are in Krayt's corner. Good fight, to be sure, but Krayt should win.

HellBlazing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Luke>Vader>Everyone else in SW

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What? No. That's ridiculous.

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@night4345: It wasn't Obi-Wan's age, it was Krayt's. And it only made a difference with the other factors(terrain, Obi-Wan not engaging in lightsaber combat since Mustafar, etc.). By its self, neither of their ages make a difference. But yes, the narrator(Obi-Wan himself) brought up age.

And I know that, but comparing Dooku to Obi-Wan is a bad comparison. Dooku was moving way better at 80 then Ben was at 60.

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords: It's like people think Krayt would've been stomped if the fight took place anywhere else but Tatooine. Lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thevivas: Yeah, I know, lol. I find it baffling that some are prepared to say that sand played the pivotal role in Krayt doing well against him...

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Erkan12

Krayt beats any version of Vader. Krayt has enough TK feats to protect himself from Vader, he has powerful force lightning which is very troublesome for Vader's breathing device, Krayt is faster and physically strong enough to resist Vader's strength, and equally skilled. Krayt takes the majority over Vader via speed and force lightning advantages.

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thevivas said:

@night4345: It wasn't Obi-Wan's age, it was Krayt's. And it only made a difference with the other factors(terrain, Obi-Wan not engaging in lightsaber combat since Mustafar, etc.). By its self, neither of their ages make a difference. But yes, the narrator(Obi-Wan himself) brought up age.

And I know that, but comparing Dooku to Obi-Wan is a bad comparison. Dooku was moving way better at 80 then Ben was at 60.

Can I have the quote?

Obi-Wan at that point hadn't fought in more than a decade while Dooku honed his skills continuously.

8bitGangsta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HellBlazing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hellblazing said:

Not that ridiculous. When it comes to jedi vs sith affair those two can't be beat in their prime.

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@night4345: I know, which is why comparing the two is bad... Lol

And yeah I'll get it when I'm off work, or you could ask ILS if he has it.

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@highaccuser said:

@hellblazing said:

Not that ridiculous. When it comes to jedi vs sith affair those two can't be beat in their prime.

Regarding Luke yes...but not Vader. There are a number of Jedi and Sith who'd beat him, namely Darth Caedus, Darth Plagueis, Yoda, Darth Sidious, Starkiller, Galen Marek, Anakin, arguably Revan, arguably Darth Nihilus, arguably Vitiate, and some people I can't think of right now. Vader isn't really at the pinnacle of the Star Wars hierarchy at all.

HellBlazing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hellblazing said:

@highaccuser said:

@hellblazing said:

Regarding Luke yes...but not Vader. There are a number of Jedi and Sith who'd beat him, namely Darth Caedus, Darth Plagueis, Yoda, Darth Sidious, Starkiller, Galen Marek, Anakin, arguably Revan, arguably Darth Nihilus, arguably Vitiate, and some people I can't think of right now. Vader isn't really at the pinnacle of the Star Wars hierarchy at all.

Starkiller? wuuuuuttt

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Sy8000

@highaccuser said:

@hellblazing said:

@highaccuser said:

@hellblazing said:

Starkiller? wuuuuuttt

Hasn't he already beaten Vader?

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hellblazing said:

@highaccuser said:

@hellblazing said:

Prime Obi-Wan, Count Dooku, Darth Maul, Mace Windu, Darth Tenebrous, Darth Venamis, Darth Wyyrlok III, Mother Talzin ...

GeorgeWBush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Sy8000

@erkan12 said:

Prime Obi-Wan, Count Dooku, Darth Maul, Mace Windu, Darth Tenebrous, Darth Venamis, Darth Wyyrlok III, Mother Talzin ...

Venamis and Tenebrous maybe...none of the rest beat Vader for any majority.

theendgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Krayt! Oh, I said that already. Nevermind, nothing to see here...

TheVivas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@night4345:

It was fortunate for Ben that he had continued his Jedi exercises on Tatooine, that he had not allowed his reflexes to become dull. He did not think about how long it had been since he had last used his lightsaber in combat. Nor did consider that he was older than Hett by at least a decade, or Hett's considerable skills with his own weapons, and that the Tusken was far more experienced at fighting in the desert. Ben knew that any such thoughts would probably only get him killed.

Source: The Life and Legend of Obi-Wan Kenobi

My mistake, Ben isn't the narrator. Lol. But here it is.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Krayt.

LamLam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By LamLam

Krayt, with an edge in terrain that is being overblown like hell,

No one is overblowing anything. I'm simply pointing out that the terrain advantage was a big part of what allowed Krayt to do as well. That's a fact.

held a solid advantage over Kenobi until the climax of their fight,

Solid advantage? He hit Kenobi twice whereas Kenobi hit him once. Hardly a big difference, especially since none of the strikes were of considerable importance.

absolutely ages before his prime as a physical combatant.

Good thing that Vader is more physically powerful than Kenobi, then.

Vader fought evenly with an older, weaker, and less skilled Kenobi as the version he is in this thread.

Older? Sure. Weaker and less skilled? Do you have any proof of that?

I'm not sure why he wouldn't. He still made rather healthy use of his lightsaber against the likes of Cade and the Imperial Knights and was never stated as decreasing in skill.

He made healthy use of his lightsaber after several years without using it. His situation is pretty much the same as Kenobi's, who you claim lost skill between his fight with Krayt and his fight with Vader.

And as he grew in power drastically and therefore physical prowess passively in the process, which ties in directly with lightsaber combat, an increase in skill is more than likely.

Not really. Force mastery and lightsaber skill are two different things. Krayt used a lot of time mastering various aspects of the Force, not practicing with a lightsaber. The idea that more power raised him as a swordsman just like that is absurd.

And really, taking a look at just about any combat-seasoned Force sensitive will tell you that skill increase are more often than not a certainty. I'm not even stating this as fact, I'm just saying it's better than saying his skill would have stayed stagnant or decreased.

Really? Dooku got more powerful as a Sith, not more skilled. Maul got more powerful by TCW, not more skilled. Sidious got more powerful by Rebellion, not more skilled. And so on. Your notion that Krayt got more skilled is unsupported and makes no sense.

Ben was in the process of shoving Hett through the air, as, he cut through his arm. They happened simultaneously.

There is no process in shoving someone with the Force. Kenobi's lightsaber cut the arm off as Hett flew back through the air, not as he was shoving him. So no, it happened after.

Proof that the sand, Kenobi being just two years older than his RotS self, and not having picked up a lightsaber in a while are the "singular reasons" for why Krayt did so well?

How about Kenobi outright attesting as much? When Ben muses that he wasn't having an easy time with Hett, he goes on to note the terrain advantage that Hett has.

Ben blocked each blow, but he wasn't doing it with ease. Hett was far more experienced at fighting on the sand and in the desert heat.

Krayt being better physically than Kenobi just two years after RotS

Proof?

When you think about it, it's not difficult to see that you're attempting to interpret this fight from the most slanted viewpoint possible in order to push a personal agenda.

That I don't like Krayt is irrelevant, but feel free to pull up the bias card. Your rage is noted. Anyway, I'm just presenting the facts: that Krayt was aided against Kenobi whereas Vader wasn't and Vader still did better. I don't give a shit if you don't like it because that's what the text makes clear.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both Death Star and Lightsabers: A Guide to the Weapons of the Force suggest that Ben Kenobi deteriorated even further. The former source suggests his skill decreased, IIRC, and the latter stated that his speed decreased.

LamLam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Both Death Star and Lightsabers: A Guide to the Weapons of the Force suggest that Ben Kenobi deteriorated even further. The former source suggests his skill decreased, IIRC, and the latter stated that his speed decreased.

Death Star only mentions that he was out of practice, that I recall, not moreso than when he fougth Krayt. I would like a quote about the speed, though.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By ShootingNova

@lamlam: If Obi-Wan was somewhat out-of-practice in only two years after RotS, then seventeen years after that, I think it's reasonable to submit that Ben deteriorated further. After all, Obi-Wan at least had some practice with a lightsaber between RotS and the duel with Hett (in sources such as Kenobi and the first two novels of Last of the Jedi) and still within his physical prime, whereas no source depicts Kenobi as having drawn his lightsaber until ANH, and he was well beyond his physical prime at that stage. Additionally, Fightsaber claims Kenobi deteriorated further, though he was still "formidable".

For the speed quote:

A generation later, Obi-Wan Kenobi would face Darth Vader once again. While Vader wanted revenge, Obi-Wan was focused on buying time for his friends - including Luke Skywalker. Their duel was careful and measured compared to their previous meeting. Obi-Wan's movements were slowed by age and lack of practice; Darth Vader - recalling the grievous injuries he suffered during their last encounter - fought his former Master with apprehension, while his cybernetic body reduced his actions. Ultimately, Obi-Wan deliberately dropped his defenses, and Darth Vader cut through him, but the Jedi Master mysteriously vanished into the Force.

Source: Lightsabers: A Guide to the Weapons of the Force
ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sidious didn't practice combat between TPM and RotS (save for the Maul fight, which is still decades after the last time he used a lightsaber, years before TPM) and he didn't practice combat between RotS and DE, yet his skill never deteriorated. I'd argue that Krayt's instance is more similar to that than anything else, given that Krayt is at least a rather powerful Force user and trained various apprentices/killed numerous opponents according to himself. Kenobi just isn't particularly powerful in relation to Krayt (unless you want to bring up his heightened connection to the Living Force) and he really just hasn't brought up a lightsaber since the Hett fight.

LamLam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shootingnova: If Obi-Wan was somewhat out-of-practice in only two years after RotS, then seventeen years after that, I think it's reasonable to submit that Ben deteriorated further.

Sure. But then we must apply the same standard to Krayt. Also, thanks for the quote.

I'd argue that Krayt's instance is more similar to that than anything else, given that Krayt is at least a rather powerful Force user

Krayt, regardless of being a powerful Force user (the same applies to Obi-Wan), does not compare to Palpatine at all. Your hypothesis only applies to exceptions, and Krayt isn't one of them.

and trained various apprentices/killed numerous opponents according to himself.

Where did he say he trained various apprentices? I recently read a source that said he rarely trained the Sith in his inner circle himself, and that he only oversaw the training. And he killed numerous opponents, but you have no idea who they were. For all we know, he could have been including the Vong he killed with Lightning.

ShootingNova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By ShootingNova

@lamlam:

1. The difference is that Krayt did brandish his lightsaber, according to him, I believe, and Krayt is much more powerful than Obi-Wan. No problem.

2. Sidious is not the only example. Dooku didn't practice combat for ten years between TPM and AotC, but he never deteriorated. And Krayt is certainly at least of Tyranus's power class.

3. He said he killed various opponents is what I mean. The training thing is just inferred based on his apprentices.

Fair enough, but it'd seem more logical to be a reference to his lightsaber skills, since, IIRC, he mentioned this in a duel.

LuckyStrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This battle is giving me a hard one

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Krayt getting mad respect.... I am speechless :)

Silverrings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's ANH mean?

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By Erkan12

@silverrings: Episode IV - A New Hope,

Some think that Vader improved himself lot between ANH and ESB / RotJ which I don't agree, especially if you compare him with TCW Maul's power improvement, Maul become more powerful in a couple months, Vader should gain his most of his power in a couple months after RotS as well.

@highaccuser said:

@erkan12 said:

Venamis and Tenebrous maybe...none of the rest beat Vader for any majority.

Clone of TPM Darth Maul already defeated Vader (except for cheap-shot), Mother Talzin would beat him every time, Wyyrlok III is powerful enough to compete with Darth Krayt, if you think Krayt can defeat Vader, Wyyrlok III has a chance as well, Prime Obi-Wan should defeat him in sabers, Dooku and Windu as well.

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By WollfMyth209

@erkan12 said:

Clone of TPM Darth Maul already defeated Vader (except for cheap-shot), Mother Talzin would beat him every time, Wyyrlok III is powerful enough to compete with Darth Krayt, if you think Krayt can defeat Vader, Wyyrlok III has a chance as well, Prime Obi-Wan should defeat him in sabers, Dooku and Windu as well.

True that the Maul clone defeated him, but he was amped by those prophets IIRC and this was Vader way before ANH or ESB. Before ANH, Vader was considered a mere shadow of what Anakin was, only during ESB and RoTJ did he grow to such power lengths he's never felt before since becoming the cyborg Vader. Vader>Maul honestly.

But I agree that every other person you mentioned(other than Obi) can beat Vader.

On topic, I'm backing ANH Vader for a majority.

theendgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hett losing to Obiwan is on the same level as Hett beating a younger Anakin. Both jedi were completely outclassed, with experience and skill, by their opponents at the time of their losses. Neither should really be used as viable arguments in this case.

Erkan12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@erkan12 said:

True that the Maul clone defeated him, but he was amped by those prophets IIRC and this was Vader way before ANH or ESB. Before ANH, Vader was considered a mere shadow of what Anakin was, only during ESB and RoTJ did he grow to such power lengths he's never felt before since becoming the cyborg Vader. Vader>Maul honestly.

But I agree that every other person you mentioned(other than Obi) can beat Vader.

1- Clone of TPM Darth Maul wasn't amped.

2- That was ANH Vader.

I don't even know why did you write a reply to me about these, while clearly you didn't read that issue.

There is too much speed difference between Maul and Vader, unfortunately Vader becomes slow after his injury, his breathing device / helmet and armor makes him sloppy and these were never going to chance, that would also weird that Vader didn't gain his power in a couple of months after RotS while Maul even become more powerful in TCW than he was in TPM (in a couple of months), Vader is superior force user, but I doubt that he can beat him with the force alone, Maul's energetic and agile fighting style is very troublesome for Vader's static fighting style not to mention Maul is physically strong as Vader as well, Vader has a better chance against Dooku's fighting style in sabers, but then Dooku is faster as well and he has force lightning. Personally, I don't see how Vader can beat those top competitors from Star Wars Prime Era, Vader was the boss of his own Inferior Era; Dark Times.

That being said, these are my personal opinions about Vader and you don't need to agree with me.

LamLam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shootingnova: Sorry for the delay, had to get a new passport.

The difference is that Krayt did brandish his lightsaber, according to him, I believe

I don't think that's true, unless you know what issue he said it in.

Dooku didn't practice combat for ten years between TPM and AotC, but he never deteriorated.

Dooku taught Grievous. Anyway, he was probably a little rusty, just like Yoda was prior to their encounter on Geonosis.

Fair enough, but it'd seem more logical to be a reference to his lightsaber skills, since, IIRC, he mentioned this in a duel.

He mentioned it when he told Nihl and Talon his backstory, I believe. That he'd keep up with a lightsaber just because he killed a lot of unknown entities is stretching.

LuckyStrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By LuckyStrike

@erkan12 said:

1- Clone of TPM Darth Maul wasn't amped.

2- That was ANH Vader.

I don't even know why did you write a reply to me about these, while clearly you didn't read that issue.

There is too much speed difference between Maul and Vader, unfortunately Vader becomes slow after his injury, his breathing device / helmet and armor makes him sloppy and these were never going to chance, that would also weird that Vader didn't gain his power in a couple of months after RotS while Maul even become more powerful in TCW than he was in TPM (in a couple of months), Vader is superior force user, but I doubt that he can beat him with the force alone, Maul's energetic and agile fighting style is very troublesome for Vader's static fighting style not to mention Maul is physically strong as Vader as well, Vader has a better chance against Dooku's fighting style in sabers, but then Dooku is faster as well and he has force lightning. Personally, I don't see how Vader can beat those top competitors from Star Wars Prime Era, Vader was the boss of his own Inferior Era; Dark Times.

That being said, these are my personal opinions about Vader and you don't need to agree with me.

This is the question that has my Vader mythos on hold, it's in important one too. Fighting the Maul doppelganger was the most direct comparison we have of how Vader stacks up against fighters from this Era and beyond discovering that Maul probably wasn't amped, it was a disappointing display.

There's still hope for Vader. It's still a possibility that their contest was set in a darkside enriched area. In the event that it was, Maul would get more of an amp as Vader still hadn't been fully submerged in the darkside as stated by many sources. While all his best feats where pre ANH the source books confirmed he's at his peak in Return of the Jedi. The question is, how much did he improve?

@wollfmyth209 said:

Check your sources, that comic strip was set in 0ABY.

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By WollfMyth209

@luckystrike: Huh, I read somewhere it took place 4 BBY, and that's still pre-prime Vader described as a shadow of his former self in the comic in any case.

LuckyStrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By LuckyStrike

@luckystrike: Huh, I read somewhere it took place 4 BBY, and that's still pre-prime Vader described as a shadow of his former self in the comic in any case.

Check it again, and that is the Vader we're discussing in this thread...check the title again maybe?

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@luckystrike: I know that's the Vader we're discussing against Krayt. But I'm simply saying to Erkan who listed the characters that'll beat Vader wouldn't beat him if he's in ESB/RoTJ form. Dooku, Mace and Talzin probably would. But I doubt Maul, Wyyrlok or Obi would.

LuckyStrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@luckystrike: I know that's the Vader we're discussing against Krayt. But I'm simply saying to Erkan who listed the characters that'll beat Vader wouldn't beat him if he's in ESB/RoTJ form. Dooku, Mace and Talzin probably would. But I doubt Maul, Wyyrlok or Obi would.

ROTJ Vader might be able to beat all of them, but my opinion on his dueling is in a state of flux.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lamlam:

No one is overblowing anything. I'm simply pointing out that the terrain advantage was a big part of what allowed Krayt to do as well. That's a fact.

Proof that it was a "big part", and you don't need to throw more quotes at me from the novel - I've read the fight. Kenobi says that he finds the fight more difficult than he usually would because Hett is on-sand. Tell me why the difficulty extends to the point where, as you've said, the sand is essentially the sole reason Hett did as well as he did.

Solid advantage? He hit Kenobi twice whereas Kenobi hit him once. Hardly a big difference, especially since none of the strikes were of considerable importance.

He clearly had the upper hand the first half or so of the fight. Then Kenobi trades a kick back, showing the fight isn't completely one sided. This doesn't help disprove the notion that Hett did very well for himself.

Good thing that Vader is more physically powerful than Kenobi, then.

Have no idea what this has to do with Krayt being well before his prime, but cool.

Older? Sure. Weaker and less skilled? Do you have any proof of that?

The fact alone that Ben two years after RotS was showing signs of physical (noting that Hett being younger than him was an advantage, and requiring to keep his reflexes sharp) and skill-based (being out-of-practice outside of the odd skirmish on Tatooine) deterioration in his fight with Hett is enough to suggest that by ANH (17 years later) he would have deteriorated a lot further.

Also, Nova provided sources for speed and skill, so there's that.

He made healthy use of his lightsaber after several years without using it. His situation is pretty much the same as Kenobi's, who you claim lost skill between his fight with Krayt and his fight with Vader.

Not really. IIRC it's stated that since the clone wars Krayt had killed "hundreds" of opponents". And Krayt was just more combat-active than Ben, who became a hermit, essentially.

Not really. Force mastery and lightsaber skill are two different things.

Indeed, but generally as one's power increases drastically, as does their Force augmentative ability the same way telekinesis would. Force augmentation is a power like any other, and if you're good at it, an increase in power should aid your ability to augment yourself. Obviously this isn't the case for everyone, but it is the case for many beings, including Dooku who you reference later - as a Sith, thanks to his reserves, he was in better shape than men half his age, and had enough reserves to hold off both Anakin and Obi-Wan at the same time for extended periods. I doubt Jedi Dooku shares this ability. Another example is Jason Fry telling us that as Darth Maul became a lot more powerful during The Lawless, since sparring Palpatine pre-TPM. After being asked "powerful in what ways", he concluded that the quote covers power, every physical area, and even lightsaber skill. Obviously I'm not throwing all of my stock into this quote, but it's better than your case.

And then there are plenty of other examples. Anakin's augmentation increased as his ability to command the Force increased - same with every Jedi during the Clone Wars who we have a good gauge of at their lowest and highest, really.

Krayt used a lot of time mastering various aspects of the Force, not practicing with a lightsaber.

He clearly had a lot of opponents to practice against.

The idea that more power raised him as a swordsman just like that is absurd.

The idea that you can take more complicated aspects of my argument and simplify them enough to make them look absurd, is absurd. I said that with power increases, comes augmentation increases, and your speed - how fast you swing a lightsaber - your strength - how strong your lightsaber strokes are - ect, ties in directly with ability to wield a lightsaber in combat.

Really? Dooku got more powerful as a Sith, not more skilled.

I could easily use your argument that "he spent more time learning new powers", however, it's easier to point out that Dooku is just a bad example. He was already an amazing lightsaber duelist as a Jedi, second only to Yoda and being Mace's equal. Any increase in skill at that point wouldn't have been noticeable.

Maul got more powerful by TCW, not more skilled.

My argument wasn't even that power = skill, it was power more often than not contributes to augmentation, which ties in directly with how well you wield a lightsaber. Another poor example, as well, because Maul was out-of-combat for twelve years, therefore he didn't even have the opportunity to increase in skill significantly.

Sidious got more powerful by Rebellion, not more skilled.

Sidious barely used a lightsaber during that time period, and actually did devote most of his time to increasing and developing his power opposed to augmentation and skill, so that is also a poor example to use.

Your notion that Krayt got more skilled is unsupported and makes no sense.

Not really. As beings increase in power, alongside seeing healthy amounts of combat, their skill also tends to increase. This can be said of Obi-Wan himself. During TPM, where he evidently had some room for improvement on every front, he fought through the Clone Wars and did improve. Which is why I'm saying that upon Hett receiving a gargantuan boost in power (which relates to augmentation before you get upset about a possible correlation to raw skill), training many beings in the art of lightsaber combat, fought many formidable opponents such as Cade, the Imperial Knights and probably more, and killed "hundreds of opponents" (I'll get the quote for you soon), him increasing in skill isn't reaching at all. It's just what happens. When you have room to improve on every front, and you see extensive combat and hone your Force powers, your abilities tend to increase across the board.

There is no process in shoving someone with the Force. Kenobi's lightsaber cut the arm off as Hett flew back through the air, not as he was shoving him. So no, it happened after.

Nitpicking my use of the word "process", I see.

Look, I'm not doing this back and forth, here's the excerpt for you again. Underlined the important parts.

Hett was being shoved through the air, at the same time as Kenobi's lightsaber started and finished the process of cutting Hett's arm off. So Hett was being affected by telekinesis just before his arm was removed. So, not a defeat by virtue of skill.

How about Kenobi outright attesting as much?

Can I have a quote from Kenobi saying that the sole reason Hett was doing so well was because of these two proud warriors having to endure standing on a bit of sand?

When Ben muses that he wasn't having an easy time with Hett, he goes on to note the terrain advantage that Hett has.

Indeed he does! And indeed Hett had the environmental edge. I'm just asking for proof that this edge completely mitigates any, or the majority of, the skill on Hett's part for the feat. Because I'm of the mind that Kenobi isn't so useless that he'd begin losing to someone just because they're on sand and for no other reason.

Krayt being better physically than Kenobi just two years after RotS

Proof?

Kenobi stating that Hett being younger than him was an edge.

That I don't like Krayt is irrelevant, but feel free to pull up the bias card. Your rage is noted.

Well, it's not for the purpose of my argument. I'm just saying that I don't see the sense in actually providing a counter whenever you post such a one sided description of events, like this:

When you think about it, losing to an out-of-practice Kenobi with an edge in terrain isn't very impressive.

Anyway, I'm just presenting the facts: that Krayt was aided against Kenobi

He was, but not by as great a deal as you want him to be, and he was also very far from his prime as a lightsaber combat by reasonable inference.

whereas Vader wasn't and Vader still did better.

Lol. Right, Ben Kenobi seventeen years later was exactly the same as he was when he fought Hett, despite living in a state that caused his lightsaber skill and physicality to decrease as time went on. You're honestly reaching and it's not difficult to see.

I don't give a sh*t if you don't like it because that's what the text makes clear.

-

Your rage is noted.

Mije_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ILS ownin' tbh