dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By dane

Scenario

For those unfamiliar, this thread will be based on the Firefight gametype in Halo. The game will take place on the map Overlook.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

You will be fighting endless waves of Covenant forces. As you can see, there is a main structure (a farmyard house) and a few stables around the place (first screenshot). The Covenant forces will be dropped by dropships on the other side of the river (second screenshot).  Your team will be sent on a mission to investigate a distress beacon on the planet Reach. Characters will have 30 minutes with detailed classified UNSC intelligence documents for each of the Covenant units they may encounter on their "expedition". Once they land however, their investigatory mission will turn into a siege.

For those of you who aren't Halo fans, basically a bunch of aliens of various sizes will come at you with energy-based weapons.

You must make a team of 5 fictional characters to see who can hold out the longest.

Rules
-No one over 10 tons strength.
-No one who can maintain superspeed for anything over a burst.  
-No one with durability greater than a Spartan.
-No one with telepathy, telekinesis, magic, duplication, power absorption, time manipulation,energy or reality manipulation.
-Characters will only get their default equipment that you choose, they may not steal enemy weapons.
-Basically street levelers with no major powers. 

If you have a question about the rules, feel free to ask. 

Additional Information 
-Your base will have an Armory loaded full of ammunition of all kinds that respawn once taken. 
However, your characters must still reload and come back to the base periodically to fill their ammo pouches/quivers (or whatever they carry ammunition in). This includes explosives. 
-Your base will have 3 Medi-stimulants. These Medi-stimulants will be a syringe that, once injected into the bloodstream will create an artificial (Wolverine-like) healing factor in the character it is used on. This effect will last for 10 seconds. This will be enough to regenerate from grievous wounds. However, this will not work on a deceased character nor will it be sufficient to regenerate lost limbs.

Enemies

They will spawn in the following waves:

Wave 1
50 Grunts
25 Jackals
10 Brutes
5 Elites

Wave 2
100 Grunts
50 Jackals
25 Brutes
10 Elites
2 Hunters

Wave 3
250 Grunts
100 Jackals
50 Brutes
50 Elites
5 Hunters
5 Ghosts
2 Wraiths 
1 Scarab

Wave 4
500 Grunts
250 Jackals
100 Brutes
150 Elites
25 Hunters
50 Ghosts
25 Wraiths  
5 Scarabs

Wave 5
1 Covenant Assault Carrier 
(will attempt to glass your position from an altitude of 1,000 feet)
CosmicSpiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By CosmicSpiral

is there any limitation on equipment? Wave 3 will be super-hardcore without very heavy weapons.  

dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By dane
@CosmicSpiral said:
" is there any limitation on equipment? Wave 3 will be super-hardcore without very heavy weapons.   "
The only limitation is that the character in question must have it on their person most of the time. Something they would conceivably be carrying in any regular appearance.

Also, the equipment cannot break other rules. High-end energy devices like an ultimate nullifier would break the rules, same with something like Iron Man's armor, etc.
Power NeXus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Power NeXus

sweeet

Power NeXus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Power NeXus

Bishop (usual blast-focusing guns, cybernetic arm)
Wolverine (adamantium) 
Toph 
Xraven (usual Kraven-ish weapons, vibranium knife, no telepathy) 
Drizzt Do'Urden (Iceingdeath, Twinkle, Mithril chain armor, spider silk shirt, bracers of blinding strike) 

Unfortunately, I have not played Halo very much, and am not familiar with a lot of the enemies here, so I can't really estimate how far my team would make it. 
I'd like to think they do rather well though. Since all of the Covenant guys attack with energy-based weapons, Bishop will be a total beast. Toph will be very useful in manipulating the battle field to the advantage of the team. And then Wolverine, Xraven, and Drizzt are among the best scrappers and team busters money can buy.

dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By dane
@Power NeXus said:
" Bishop (usual blast-focusing guns, cybernetic arm)Wolverine (adamantium) Toph Xraven (usual Kraven-ish weapons, vibranium knife, no telepathy) Drizzt Do'Urden (Iceingdeath, Twinkle, Mithril chain armor, spider silk shirt, bracers of blinding strike) "
Bishop and Xraven both have energy manipulation. Probably Toph too when you think about it.
Power NeXus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Power NeXus
@Dane said:
" @Power NeXus said:
" Bishop (usual blast-focusing guns, cybernetic arm)Wolverine (adamantium) Toph Xraven (usual Kraven-ish weapons, vibranium knife, no telepathy) Drizzt Do'Urden (Iceingdeath, Twinkle, Mithril chain armor, spider silk shirt, bracers of blinding strike) "
Bishop and Xraven both have energy manipulation. Probably Toph too when you think about it. "
Reallly? I never considered energy manipulation and straight-up energy blasts to be the same thing. 
So we basically can't have anyone who can absorb or project energy in any way? 

And, IMO, saying earthbending is energy manipulation is quite a stretch... 

I'll edit if you want me to, but I find it kinda strange that you're ruling these guys out.
dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By dane
@Power NeXus said:
" @Dane said:
" @Power NeXus said:
Bishop and Xraven both have energy manipulation. Probably Toph too when you think about it. "
Reallly? I never considered energy manipulation and straight-up energy blasts to be the same thing. So we basically can't have anyone who can absorb or project energy in any way?  And, IMO, saying earthbending is energy manipulation is quite a stretch...  I'll edit if you want me to, but I find it kinda strange that you're ruling these guys out. "
It's a new rule I've had since the thread before this one. It's quite hard to write in energy projection without opening up the door to guys like Vulcan.

I'd like to keep things as street-level as possible but the amount of enemies should keep you on your toes either way.
Power NeXus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Power NeXus
@Dane said:
" @Power NeXus said:
" @Dane said:
" @Power NeXus said:
Reallly? I never considered energy manipulation and straight-up energy blasts to be the same thing. So we basically can't have anyone who can absorb or project energy in any way?  And, IMO, saying earthbending is energy manipulation is quite a stretch...  I'll edit if you want me to, but I find it kinda strange that you're ruling these guys out. "
It's a new rule I've had since the thread before this one. It's quite hard to write in energy projection without opening up the door to guys like Vulcan.  I'd like to keep things as street-level as possible but the amount of enemies should keep you on your toes either way. "
All right then. I'll edit.
dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dane
@Power NeXus: I'm not going to be super strict on it but anyone who can absorb and manipulate energy would have a very obvious advantage here.
Power NeXus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Power NeXus

Wolverine (adamantium)    
 Drizzt Do'Urden (Iceingdeath, Twinkle, Mithril chain armor, spider silk shirt, bracers of blinding strike)   
Black Panther (vibranium weave suit, anti-metal claws, energy daggers) 
Mr X (twin adamantium katanas) 
What if? Spider-Man  

daak1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By daak1212

What the hell can beat them?  5 scarabs and 150 elites is already overkill.  What types are they?  Minors,Majors,Spec ops, Zelots.  Really with the guidelines you set up there is no one who can do this
Power NeXus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Power NeXus
@daak1212 said:
" What the hell can beat them?  5 scarabs and 150 elites is already overkill.  What types are they?  Minors,Majors,Spec ops, Zelots.  Really with the guidelines you set up there is no one who can do this "
That's the point bro. This isn't a "beat the challenge" thread. It's a "see how long your team can last before they all die" thread.
dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By dane
@Power NeXus: Ord is over 10 tons.

@daak1212: The types will become stronger as the waves improve, same as in firefight. I already know that no one can do it. The OP says 'who can last the longest?'. Even if you defeat all 4 waves they'll just cycle through again and again.
Power NeXus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Power NeXus
@Dane said:
" @Power NeXus: Ord is over 10 tons.

@daak1212: The types will become stronger as the waves improve, same as in firefight. I already know that no one can do it. The OP says 'who can last the longest?'. Even if you defeat all 4 waves they'll just cycle through again and again. "
My bad
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Does the team enter with knowledge of who they are facing? For example, the way to destroy  a scarab?
lagoon_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By lagoon_boy
  • Deadpool
  • Sabertooth
  • Logan
  • Deathstroke
  • Cyclops.
Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Silver2467

Excellent setup, Dane. 

1. SpiderMan (current, standard equipment)
2. BatMan (Bruce Wayne, standard equipment)
3. Bane (Venom doses, AK-47 3 clips, miniautre gatling gun, twin 500 caliber mangum handguns 5 clips)
4. Captain America (Steve Rogers, standard equipment) 
5. Daredevil (Shadowland Murdock with Beast of the Hand)

dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By dane
@k4tzm4n said:
" Does the team enter with knowledge of who they are facing? For example, the way to destroy  a scarab? "
uh let's say they have 30 minutes to look over classified UNSC documents on each kind of Covenant unit before the firefight starts.

So tactically brilliant characters like Batman/Captain America would be able to glean a lot more from this than characters who don't have a tactical mindset like Tombstone.
dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By dane
@Silver2467 said:
" Excellent setup, Dane.  1. SpiderMan 2. BatMan 3. Bane 4. Captain America (Steve) 5. Daredevil "
Thanks. 

I like your team but they don't have much in the way of ranged weapons. How do you think they'd go against the Covenant?
Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Silver2467
@Dane said: 

@Silver2467 said: 

" Excellent setup, Dane.  1. SpiderMan 2. BatMan 3. Bane 4. Captain America (Steve) 5. Daredevil "
Thanks.   I like your team but they don't have much in the way of ranged weapons. How do you think they'd go against the Covenant? "
Crap. I forgot to specify equipment. If the characters in my team have used some other form of weaponry (not talking about a device that shuts of people's minds, i.e., BatMan), can I give that to them? For instance, Bane has used various firearms before. Can I equip him with that?    
dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By dane
@Silver2467 said:
" @Dane said: 

@Silver2467 said: 

Thanks.   I like your team but they don't have much in the way of ranged weapons. How do you think they'd go against the Covenant? "
Crap. I forgot to specify equipment. If the characters in my team have used some other form of weaponry (not talking about a device that shuts of people's minds, i.e., BatMan), can I give that to them? For instance, Bane has used various firearms before. Can I equip him with that?     "
Anything that could be considered standard equipment.

Bane is often seen in Secret Six carrying a variety of firearms, it's completely plausible for you to give him a personal arsenal here.
Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Silver2467
@Dane said:
" @Silver2467 said:
" @Dane said: 

@Silver2467 said: 

Crap. I forgot to specify equipment. If the characters in my team have used some other form of weaponry (not talking about a device that shuts of people's minds, i.e., BatMan), can I give that to them? For instance, Bane has used various firearms before. Can I equip him with that?     "
Anything that could be considered standard equipment.  Bane is often seen in Secret Six carrying a variety of firearms, it's completely plausible for you to give him a personal arsenal here. "
Thanks. 
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@Dane:
TOMBSTONE IS A F*CKING GENIUS, YOU WATCH YOUR MOUTH!  lol.   

1) The Arbiter (carbine rifle, plasma rifle, energy sword, plasma grenades, temporary cloaking)  
Why? Well, first off, Master Chief isn't allowed due to durability limits.  But more importantly, the team needs someone with experience facing these foes.  He knows their tactics, weaknesses, and so forth. He'll let the team know what needs to be done and how, instead of them being forced to discover it while under fire.

2) Cyclops (standard armor x-attire)

Why? The Arbiter informs, Cyclops commands.  Also, have you seen those optic blasts? DAYUMN.  Talk about the perfect weapon for all scenarios of combat.
3) Wolverine (standard X-Force armor) 
Why? Someone who can get in close, draw fire, take damage and then dish it out ten times worse.  Wolverine is the perfect man for that job.  With knowledge from the Arbiter, Wolverine will know how to drop a Scarab, Hunter, Wraith, etc)
4) Deadshot (standard armor, silenced twin gauntlet pistols, small rockets, .50 cal sniper rifle)  
Why? Deadshot is the perfect man to hang back and give surpressive fire, primarily in the form of headshots.
5) AoA Nightcrawler or Elixir 
Why? AoA Nightcrawler would be quite the valuable offensive tool, creating chaos and panic among the enemy forces. He could juggle foes around, dismember limbs, and so forth. Elixirwould be a good choice because just like the game, I assume there is a break inbetween waves. Elixir can be used to heal Deadshot, Cyclops, and Arbiter.

dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dane
@k4tzm4n:  
Hmm, well Master Chief probably is allowed without shields. And if he isn't I'll probably change the rules around until he is allowed.

Frankly even 5 Spartans in full Mjolnir armor wouldn't hold out indefinitely here.
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@Dane:
Agreed. I honestly don't think anyone is making it past wave 3.
dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By dane
@k4tzm4n said:
" @Dane: Agreed. I honestly don't think anyone is making it past wave 3. "
Probably pretty accurate. You'd have to find some extreme loopholes and find a character who could take down a Covenant armada.
Matezoide2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Matezoide2

great thread Dane

The Arbiter
What If? Spider-Man
Karate Kid
pre-lame injure General Grievous
Cyclops

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@Dane said:
" @k4tzm4n said:
Probably pretty accurate. You'd have to find some extreme loopholes and find a character who could take down a Covenant armada. "

I think most teams would get a heavy kill count, but the sheer amount of enemy fire of all kinds would likely be too much.
Power NeXus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Power NeXus
@Dane said:
" @k4tzm4n said:
Probably pretty accurate. You'd have to find some extreme loopholes and find a character who could take down a Covenant armada. "
Bishop WAS going to be my ace in the hole, but you just had to rule him out. 
>:(
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@Power NeXus:
I'm pretty sure he'd overload.  Plus, I'd imagine there are other kinds of attacks that would hurt him.
Chaos Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Chaos Prime
dragonmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By dragonmaster
Matezoide2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Matezoide2
@Matezoide said:

" great thread Dane  The ArbiterWhat If? Spider-Man Karate Kid pre-lame injure General GrievousCyclops "

no comments? alright,i will put the wood on the fire
this team is actualy capable of beating the five waves
Grievous solos wave 1 (theres less than 100 enemies) prety easly,he is the guy who casualy defeated 5 jedi at once,using just two hands,he even blocked their attacks at the same time,a bunch guys shooting at him wont be a problem,now add What If? Spider-Man who,at classic levels, is already capable of dodging several bullets at once and wave 1 gets destroied  

wave 2? heh,Grievous,Spidey and Karate Kid destroys then as Cyclops and the Arbiter gives then cover....with Scott planning,they wont have much problems at all 

wave 3 is prety dangerous too,but not impossible,Spider-Man`s web alone could trap several of then with easy,thats the same guy who webbed up the side of a bulding,Cyclops giving him cover as the rest destroys the enemies and they win

same thing for waves 4 and 5,my 3 guys are too fast/skilled to actualy get hit and they will be under heavy protection,with proper planning,they can overcome this
not to forget the team will know where they are coming from (a combo of the waves working as the game and What If? Spider-Man`s powers to ``see`` the future),giving a lot of room for a little ambush (ie,Cyclops and Arbiter poping out of nowhere and letting lose and then hiding back as Spidey lets lose his webs as Grievous and Karate Kid attack from different directions) 
and KK can create earthquakes with a well placed kick :P
and yes,i actualy want to find a team that will clear this,not just hold,i mean downright beat
CosmicSpiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By CosmicSpiral
@Matezoide: KK, Cyclops, and even Grevious would be banned. 
Matezoide2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Matezoide2
@CosmicSpiral said:
" @Matezoide: KK, Cyclops, and even Grevious would be banned.  "
i made this team a day ago and Dane said nothing about it,K4tzm4n`s team also haves Cyclops and Dane didnt say anything,i am not breaking rules,i am finding loopholes to win
CosmicSpiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By CosmicSpiral
@Matezoide: But they're all the obvious loopholes. :(

Vault Dweller from Fallout 3 (Tesla Armor, Alien Blaster, A3-21's Plasma Rifle, Experimental MIRV)  
Serafina 
Ghost 
Holden Carver 
Daken
Power NeXus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Power NeXus

I don't get how Cyclops is allowed, but Xraven is banned due to energy projection.

Power NeXus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Power NeXus
@Matezoide:  
 and yes,i actualy want to find a team that will clear this,not just hold,i mean downright beat  

Your team may be able to beat the first 4 waves, but they can't win. Dane said that after the four waves have been defeated, they start all over again. Enemies will just keep coming until all your guys lose their stamina and die. 
Matezoide2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Matezoide2
@Power NeXus said:
Your team may be able to beat the first 4 waves, but they can't win. Dane said that after the four waves have been defeated, they start all over again.

f*cking bastards! 

@CosmicSpiral said:
" @Matezoide: But they're all the obvious loopholes. :(
hahahaha! >:D
CosmicSpiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By CosmicSpiral
@Power NeXus said:
" I don't get how Cyclops is allowed, but Xraven is banned due to energy projection. "
Especially since they share the same energy projection. ;)
difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By difficlus

Midnighter (with brute shooter, pistols,2 M16A2 with M203 grenade launcher attached, RPG launcher, Spartan Combat rifle, adamantuim boa staff,  Spartan Laser and vibranuim suit), karate kid(spartan pistols),  Havok (brute shooter) , Rex-Plode (unlimited deck of cards and stones to use as projectiles), ethan york ( adamantuim armor, covenant sniper rifle). 

with this these guys can go on forever.lol. 

PS: we are allowed to give them weapons and tech aren't we? if not just use original team...

Power NeXus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Power NeXus
@CosmicSpiral said:
" @Power NeXus said:
" I don't get how Cyclops is allowed, but Xraven is banned due to energy projection. "
Especially since they share the same energy projection. ;) "
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about...
Silver2467

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Silver2467
@difficlus said:
" Midnighter, Karate kid,  Havok, Rex-Plode, ethan york (gen-13).  with this these guys can go on forever.lol. "
Good team. 
CosmicSpiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By CosmicSpiral
@difficlus: Nope. 
difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By difficlus
@CosmicSpiral said:
" @difficlus: Nope.  "
then just use the team on its own...
CosmicSpiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By CosmicSpiral
@difficlus: You give them whatever equipment they usually carry.
difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By difficlus
@CosmicSpiral said:
" @difficlus: You give them whatever equipment they usually carry. "
my team still stomps...
CosmicSpiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By CosmicSpiral
@difficlus: Can they beat 5 Scarabs? I don't think so. 
difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By difficlus
@CosmicSpiral said:
" @difficlus: Can they beat 5 Scarabs? I don't think so.  "
rex-plode can and midnighter can quickly deactivate them in a speed burst. karate kid can shatter the ground below them like he did in the artic scan or similarly shatter them.