ComicVine 101 - Battles

• 91 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by courtney12490 (3512 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nobody: i figured, judging from his avatar, that he was a fan
#52 Posted by VenomMagus (227 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate the "not-sorandom" chars I get to battle each other.  I must have seen Spidey vs Silver Surfer like 50+ times now
#53 Posted by mgrman5 (689 posts) - - Show Bio

how do you search for topics in the battle forms to see if has been done already? I have looked up a superman vs. thread but their is no topics on it which is very suprising. I can't filter specfic character threads, nothing comes up.

#54 Posted by Erik (32502 posts) - - Show Bio
@mgrman5:  
There is a bug in the search tool that will not be fixed until at least tomorrow. Until then, when you click the start a topic button and put in your desired battle, the bottom of the screen will show similar battles. If your thread is already made, close the window. 
#55 Posted by batfan1939 (402 posts) - - Show Bio

What do the different banner colors mean? Are they random? By "Banner", I mean the colored bars that give the poster's name, # of posts, mini bio link, and Level #. Btw, cool thread.
Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
#56 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (26773 posts) - - Show Bio
@mgrman5 said:
"

how do you search for topics in the battle forms to see if has been done already? I have looked up a superman vs. thread but their is no topics on it which is very suprising. I can't filter specfic character threads, nothing comes up.

"
there is a bug as someone mentioned, it will be fixed in a few days :) 
#57 Posted by morpheus_ (35162 posts) - - Show Bio
@batfan1939 said:
" What do the different banner colors mean? Are they random? By "Banner", I mean the colored bars that give the poster's name, # of posts, mini bio link, and Level #. Btw, cool thread. "
You can choose the colour, by going to the settings option in your profile. Blue is for hero, black for neutral, and red for villain.
#58 Posted by batfan1939 (402 posts) - - Show Bio
@Morpheus_:
Thanks.
#59 Posted by courtney12490 (3512 posts) - - Show Bio
@batfan1939: The only place where they really have any significance is the RPG forum
#60 Posted by DHU (115 posts) - - Show Bio

This is very helpful; thank you!

#61 Posted by courtney12490 (3512 posts) - - Show Bio
@.Mistress Redhead.: Is your avatar Daria?
#62 Posted by Chaos Prime (11585 posts) - - Show Bio

This topic should get a good bumping at least once a wk ;-)

#63 Posted by courtney12490 (3512 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nobody: Can we have a new rule? No more DBZ threads? The only thing that I've ever seen them lead to is flame wars and people refusing to listen to logic.
#64 Posted by geraldthesloth (32690 posts) - - Show Bio
@courtney12490 said:
" @Nobody: Can we have a new rule? No more DBZ threads? The only thing that I've ever seen them lead to is flame wars and people refusing to listen to logic. "
Nah, we should keep the threads it's just that people go into the threads and want to die defending their characters.
#65 Posted by courtney12490 (3512 posts) - - Show Bio
@geraldthesloth said:
" @courtney12490 said:
" @Nobody: Can we have a new rule? No more DBZ threads? The only thing that I've ever seen them lead to is flame wars and people refusing to listen to logic. "
Nah, we should keep the threads it's just that people go into the threads and want to die defending their characters. "
People rarely use logic in those threads, and during the rare times that logic is used, the other party tends to disregard it. I haven't seen a single DBZ thread that didn't either turn into a flame war or people refusing to listen to other people's logic. The battle forum is supposed to be about having fun, well-informed debates, and that just never seems to happen in anything DBZ-related. The mods have tried posting in them and telling others to get back on-topic and that works for one or two pages, but then things digress back into flame war and no-logic territory. IMO, they should be locked on sight by the mods and/or staff.
#66 Posted by jacobyLIVE (1983 posts) - - Show Bio
@courtney12490 said:
" @geraldthesloth said:
" @courtney12490 said:
Nah, we should keep the threads it's just that people go into the threads and want to die defending their characters. "
People rarely use logic in those threads, and during the rare times that logic is used, the other party tends to disregard it. I haven't seen a single DBZ thread that didn't either turn into a flame war or people refusing to listen to other people's logic. The battle forum is supposed to be about having fun, well-informed debates, and that just never seems to happen in anything DBZ-related. The mods have tried posting in them and telling others to get back on-topic and that works for one or two pages, but then things digress back into flame war and no-logic territory. IMO, they should be locked on sight by the mods and/or staff. "
I agree with you, Courtney. DBZ threads belong on Animevice, not on Comicvine. Sure, Manga is a "comic"...but still. DBZ threads are a recipe for disaster. I've seen too many respectable debaters lose their dignity in those threads...
#67 Posted by courtney12490 (3512 posts) - - Show Bio
@jacobyLIVE said:
" @courtney12490 said:
" @geraldthesloth said:
" @courtney12490 said:
People rarely use logic in those threads, and during the rare times that logic is used, the other party tends to disregard it. I haven't seen a single DBZ thread that didn't either turn into a flame war or people refusing to listen to other people's logic. The battle forum is supposed to be about having fun, well-informed debates, and that just never seems to happen in anything DBZ-related. The mods have tried posting in them and telling others to get back on-topic and that works for one or two pages, but then things digress back into flame war and no-logic territory. IMO, they should be locked on sight by the mods and/or staff. "
I agree with you, Courtney. DBZ threads belong on Animevice, not on Comicvine. Sure, Manga is a "comic"...but still. DBZ threads are a recipe for disaster. I've seen too many respectable debaters lose their dignity in those threads... "
Thanks. I completely avoid anything DBZ-related. A. because I've never read it so I don't really have a leg to stand on in the debates and B. because, like you said, even the calmest of debaters tends to lose their heads in the DBZ threads.
#68 Posted by Pr_Beyonder (2528 posts) - - Show Bio
@Methos:
You should  create  a  comic vine slang refferance thread :)
#69 Posted by courtney12490 (3512 posts) - - Show Bio
@Pr_Beyonder: He's not on Comic Vine anymore, so he's not going to be able to respond to you. He did, however, already create a slang thread in the Off-Topic forum: Forum slang...
#70 Posted by OmegaHulk (38 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice thread Methos

#72 Posted by zero man (244 posts) - - Show Bio

interesing

Avatar image for emperorvulcan432
#73 Posted by emperorvulcan432 (248 posts) - - Show Bio

this thread helped me again
Avatar image for christopherwilliams
#74 Posted by ChristopherWilliams (120 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for posting that up know we can actually have solid good converstations or arguments without getting personal or anything and just have a good time.
Avatar image for anthonycorletto
#75 Posted by AnthonyCorletto (121 posts) - - Show Bio

????????
#76 Posted by Mercy_ (94928 posts) - - Show Bio
@AnthonyCorletto: What was unclear?
#77 Posted by WayneGusoff (5 posts) - - Show Bio

attention

#78 Edited by StriderNo9 (121 posts) - - Show Bio

Good read, thanks for the info. I'm a big comic book nerd, as everyone here is, but there is a lot of info out there I have not read, so I'm looking forward to some good matches.

#79 Posted by spawn devil (946 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for the info, Methos!

#80 Posted by Mercy_ (94928 posts) - - Show Bio

Just a heads up for new users. It's generally bad form to debate for one side or another in a thread that you created. The whole intention of a battle is to open up a good debate and it's hard to make it even when you're favoring one side.  

What's even worse is when you create a battle and in the OP (original post) or second post you state "_________ wins". That's called spite. Which means that you made the battle with a clear winner in mind (whether that person actually wins or not is irrelevant, the intent is still there). 

#81 Posted by JediXMan (42910 posts) - - Show Bio

This should be pinned again.

#82 Posted by Warcry80 (2308 posts) - - Show Bio

Very glad this was posted! Very good thread!
Avatar image for marveljackass433
#83 Posted by MarvelJackAss433 (12774 posts) - - Show Bio

bump.
#84 Posted by Mercy_ (94928 posts) - - Show Bio
@courtney12490 said:
" @geraldthesloth said:
" @courtney12490 said:
FROM SEVEN 1/2 MONTHS AGO! That's how long I've wanted those freaking threads locked! 
#85 Posted by Mercy_ (94928 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan said:
" This should be pinned again. "
I'm pretty sure it's linked in the FAQ. 
#86 Posted by JediXMan (42910 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
" @JediXMan said:
I'm pretty sure it's linked in the FAQ.  "
It is. I just feel like it would carry more weight and be noticed more if it was pinned.
#87 Posted by Mercy_ (94928 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan said:
" @The Dark Huntress said:
" @JediXMan said:
It is. I just feel like it would carry more weight and be noticed more if it was pinned. "
I'd rather have this pinned instead of the recap thread. 
#88 Posted by JediXMan (42910 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
" @JediXMan said:
" @The Dark Huntress said:
" @JediXMan said:
It is. I just feel like it would carry more weight and be noticed more if it was pinned. "
I'd rather have this pinned instead of the recap thread.  "
Or perhaps merge the Battle Forums Rules and FAQ threads.
#89 Posted by Masterr (195 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome thread! Newcomers (and even some veteran users) should deffinitely read this, really helps :D

#90 Posted by majestic99 (8915 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

I like this thread.It needed to be made.

1. Agreed

2. Isn't it assumed in a battle that if bfr isn't stated in OP then bfr isn't allowed?

#91 Posted by morpheus_ (35162 posts) - - Show Bio