ComicVine 101 - Battles

  • 91 results
  • 1
  • 2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for courtney12490
#51 Posted by courtney12490 (3512 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nobody: i figured, judging from his avatar, that he was a fan
Avatar image for venommagus
#52 Posted by VenomMagus (227 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate the "not-sorandom" chars I get to battle each other.  I must have seen Spidey vs Silver Surfer like 50+ times now
Avatar image for mgrman5
#53 Posted by mgrman5 (689 posts) - - Show Bio

how do you search for topics in the battle forms to see if has been done already? I have looked up a superman vs. thread but their is no topics on it which is very suprising. I can't filter specfic character threads, nothing comes up.

Avatar image for erik
#54 Posted by Erik (32502 posts) - - Show Bio
@mgrman5:  
There is a bug in the search tool that will not be fixed until at least tomorrow. Until then, when you click the start a topic button and put in your desired battle, the bottom of the screen will show similar battles. If your thread is already made, close the window. 
Avatar image for batfan1939
#55 Posted by batfan1939 (402 posts) - - Show Bio

What do the different banner colors mean? Are they random? By "Banner", I mean the colored bars that give the poster's name, # of posts, mini bio link, and Level #. Btw, cool thread.
Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
#56 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (26773 posts) - - Show Bio
@mgrman5 said:
"

how do you search for topics in the battle forms to see if has been done already? I have looked up a superman vs. thread but their is no topics on it which is very suprising. I can't filter specfic character threads, nothing comes up.

"
there is a bug as someone mentioned, it will be fixed in a few days :) 
Avatar image for morpheus_
#57 Posted by morpheus_ (35162 posts) - - Show Bio
@batfan1939 said:
" What do the different banner colors mean? Are they random? By "Banner", I mean the colored bars that give the poster's name, # of posts, mini bio link, and Level #. Btw, cool thread. "
You can choose the colour, by going to the settings option in your profile. Blue is for hero, black for neutral, and red for villain.
Moderator
Avatar image for batfan1939
#58 Posted by batfan1939 (402 posts) - - Show Bio
@Morpheus_:
Thanks.
Avatar image for courtney12490
#59 Posted by courtney12490 (3512 posts) - - Show Bio
@batfan1939: The only place where they really have any significance is the RPG forum
Avatar image for dhu
#60 Posted by DHU (115 posts) - - Show Bio

This is very helpful; thank you!

Avatar image for courtney12490
#61 Posted by courtney12490 (3512 posts) - - Show Bio
@.Mistress Redhead.: Is your avatar Daria?
Avatar image for chaos_prime
#62 Posted by Chaos Prime (11585 posts) - - Show Bio

This topic should get a good bumping at least once a wk ;-)

Avatar image for courtney12490
#63 Posted by courtney12490 (3512 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nobody: Can we have a new rule? No more DBZ threads? The only thing that I've ever seen them lead to is flame wars and people refusing to listen to logic.
Avatar image for geraldthesloth
#64 Posted by geraldthesloth (32690 posts) - - Show Bio
@courtney12490 said:
" @Nobody: Can we have a new rule? No more DBZ threads? The only thing that I've ever seen them lead to is flame wars and people refusing to listen to logic. "
Nah, we should keep the threads it's just that people go into the threads and want to die defending their characters.
Avatar image for courtney12490
#65 Posted by courtney12490 (3512 posts) - - Show Bio
@geraldthesloth said:
" @courtney12490 said:
" @Nobody: Can we have a new rule? No more DBZ threads? The only thing that I've ever seen them lead to is flame wars and people refusing to listen to logic. "
Nah, we should keep the threads it's just that people go into the threads and want to die defending their characters. "
People rarely use logic in those threads, and during the rare times that logic is used, the other party tends to disregard it. I haven't seen a single DBZ thread that didn't either turn into a flame war or people refusing to listen to other people's logic. The battle forum is supposed to be about having fun, well-informed debates, and that just never seems to happen in anything DBZ-related. The mods have tried posting in them and telling others to get back on-topic and that works for one or two pages, but then things digress back into flame war and no-logic territory. IMO, they should be locked on sight by the mods and/or staff.
Avatar image for jacobylive
#66 Posted by jacobyLIVE (1983 posts) - - Show Bio
@courtney12490 said:
" @geraldthesloth said:
" @courtney12490 said:
" @Nobody: Can we have a new rule? No more DBZ threads? The only thing that I've ever seen them lead to is flame wars and people refusing to listen to logic. "
Nah, we should keep the threads it's just that people go into the threads and want to die defending their characters. "
People rarely use logic in those threads, and during the rare times that logic is used, the other party tends to disregard it. I haven't seen a single DBZ thread that didn't either turn into a flame war or people refusing to listen to other people's logic. The battle forum is supposed to be about having fun, well-informed debates, and that just never seems to happen in anything DBZ-related. The mods have tried posting in them and telling others to get back on-topic and that works for one or two pages, but then things digress back into flame war and no-logic territory. IMO, they should be locked on sight by the mods and/or staff. "
I agree with you, Courtney. DBZ threads belong on Animevice, not on Comicvine. Sure, Manga is a "comic"...but still. DBZ threads are a recipe for disaster. I've seen too many respectable debaters lose their dignity in those threads...
Avatar image for courtney12490
#67 Posted by courtney12490 (3512 posts) - - Show Bio
@jacobyLIVE said:
" @courtney12490 said:
" @geraldthesloth said:
" @courtney12490 said:
" @Nobody: Can we have a new rule? No more DBZ threads? The only thing that I've ever seen them lead to is flame wars and people refusing to listen to logic. "
Nah, we should keep the threads it's just that people go into the threads and want to die defending their characters. "
People rarely use logic in those threads, and during the rare times that logic is used, the other party tends to disregard it. I haven't seen a single DBZ thread that didn't either turn into a flame war or people refusing to listen to other people's logic. The battle forum is supposed to be about having fun, well-informed debates, and that just never seems to happen in anything DBZ-related. The mods have tried posting in them and telling others to get back on-topic and that works for one or two pages, but then things digress back into flame war and no-logic territory. IMO, they should be locked on sight by the mods and/or staff. "
I agree with you, Courtney. DBZ threads belong on Animevice, not on Comicvine. Sure, Manga is a "comic"...but still. DBZ threads are a recipe for disaster. I've seen too many respectable debaters lose their dignity in those threads... "
Thanks. I completely avoid anything DBZ-related. A. because I've never read it so I don't really have a leg to stand on in the debates and B. because, like you said, even the calmest of debaters tends to lose their heads in the DBZ threads.
Avatar image for pr_beyonder
#68 Posted by Pr_Beyonder (2528 posts) - - Show Bio
@Methos:
You should  create  a  comic vine slang refferance thread :)
Avatar image for courtney12490
#69 Posted by courtney12490 (3512 posts) - - Show Bio
@Pr_Beyonder: He's not on Comic Vine anymore, so he's not going to be able to respond to you. He did, however, already create a slang thread in the Off-Topic forum: Forum slang...
Avatar image for omegahulk
#70 Posted by OmegaHulk (38 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice thread Methos

Avatar image for chaos_prime
Avatar image for zero_man
#72 Posted by zero man (244 posts) - - Show Bio

interesing

Avatar image for emperorvulcan432
#73 Posted by emperorvulcan432 (248 posts) - - Show Bio

this thread helped me again
Avatar image for christopherwilliams
#74 Posted by ChristopherWilliams (120 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for posting that up know we can actually have solid good converstations or arguments without getting personal or anything and just have a good time.
Avatar image for anthonycorletto
#75 Posted by AnthonyCorletto (121 posts) - - Show Bio

????????
Avatar image for mercy_
#76 Posted by Mercy_ (94928 posts) - - Show Bio
@AnthonyCorletto: What was unclear?
Avatar image for waynegusoff
#77 Posted by WayneGusoff (5 posts) - - Show Bio

attention

Avatar image for StriderNo9
#78 Edited by StriderNo9 (121 posts) - - Show Bio

Good read, thanks for the info. I'm a big comic book nerd, as everyone here is, but there is a lot of info out there I have not read, so I'm looking forward to some good matches.

Avatar image for spawn_devil
#79 Posted by spawn devil (946 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for the info, Methos!

Avatar image for mercy_
#80 Posted by Mercy_ (94928 posts) - - Show Bio

Just a heads up for new users. It's generally bad form to debate for one side or another in a thread that you created. The whole intention of a battle is to open up a good debate and it's hard to make it even when you're favoring one side.  
 
What's even worse is when you create a battle and in the OP (original post) or second post you state "_________ wins". That's called spite. Which means that you made the battle with a clear winner in mind (whether that person actually wins or not is irrelevant, the intent is still there). 

Avatar image for jedixman
#81 Posted by JediXMan (42910 posts) - - Show Bio

This should be pinned again.

Moderator
Avatar image for warcry80
#82 Posted by Warcry80 (2308 posts) - - Show Bio

Very glad this was posted! Very good thread!
Avatar image for marveljackass433
#83 Posted by MarvelJackAss433 (12774 posts) - - Show Bio

bump.
Avatar image for mercy_
#84 Posted by Mercy_ (94928 posts) - - Show Bio
@courtney12490 said:
" @geraldthesloth said:
" @courtney12490 said:
" @Nobody: Can we have a new rule? No more DBZ threads? The only thing that I've ever seen them lead to is flame wars and people refusing to listen to logic. "
Nah, we should keep the threads it's just that people go into the threads and want to die defending their characters. "
People rarely use logic in those threads, and during the rare times that logic is used, the other party tends to disregard it. I haven't seen a single DBZ thread that didn't either turn into a flame war or people refusing to listen to other people's logic. The battle forum is supposed to be about having fun, well-informed debates, and that just never seems to happen in anything DBZ-related. The mods have tried posting in them and telling others to get back on-topic and that works for one or two pages, but then things digress back into flame war and no-logic territory. IMO, they should be locked on sight by the mods and/or staff. "
FROM SEVEN 1/2 MONTHS AGO! That's how long I've wanted those freaking threads locked! 
Avatar image for mercy_
#85 Posted by Mercy_ (94928 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan said:
" This should be pinned again. "
I'm pretty sure it's linked in the FAQ. 
Avatar image for jedixman
#86 Posted by JediXMan (42910 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
" @JediXMan said:
" This should be pinned again. "
I'm pretty sure it's linked in the FAQ.  "
It is. I just feel like it would carry more weight and be noticed more if it was pinned.
Moderator
Avatar image for mercy_
#87 Posted by Mercy_ (94928 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan said:
" @The Dark Huntress said:
" @JediXMan said:
" This should be pinned again. "
I'm pretty sure it's linked in the FAQ.  "
It is. I just feel like it would carry more weight and be noticed more if it was pinned. "
I'd rather have this pinned instead of the recap thread. 
Avatar image for jedixman
#88 Posted by JediXMan (42910 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:
" @JediXMan said:
" @The Dark Huntress said:
" @JediXMan said:
" This should be pinned again. "
I'm pretty sure it's linked in the FAQ.  "
It is. I just feel like it would carry more weight and be noticed more if it was pinned. "
I'd rather have this pinned instead of the recap thread.  "
Or perhaps merge the Battle Forums Rules and FAQ threads.
Moderator
Avatar image for masterr
#89 Posted by Masterr (195 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome thread! Newcomers (and even some veteran users) should deffinitely read this, really helps :D

Avatar image for majestic99
#90 Posted by majestic99 (8915 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro said:

I like this thread.It needed to be made.

1. Agreed

2. Isn't it assumed in a battle that if bfr isn't stated in OP then bfr isn't allowed?

Avatar image for morpheus_
#91 Posted by morpheus_ (35162 posts) - - Show Bio
Moderator