Comic Vine Battle of the Week: Zombie Apocalypse Scenario

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Walking Dead finally returns this Sunday, and we here at Comic Vine think that's definitely worth celebrating. So, what better way is there to get pumped than to imagine our favorite characters slaying waves upon waves of the undead? Okay, maybe reading Robert Kirkman's comic is also a pretty good way to prepare for the show's fourth season, but this is going to be a bloody good time as well. We have 12 options on the poll and we want to see who you think will survive the longest when thrown into this bleak situation!

There's a lot of rules for this scenario, so please be sure to read all of them before jumping into the poll and casting your vote. Seriously, it'll only take a minute or two of your time. Posting something which clearly goes against the rules will only make you look silly, and you don't want to look silly, do you? Anyhow, check out the rules and have fun thinking about this gruesome scenario!

No Caption Provided

Comic Vine Battle of the Week Rules

• The zombies are walkers but still capable of shuffling at faster speeds and can indeed smell non-zombies in the local region (assuming they don't cover their scent, that is). They're going on pure instinct and will do anything and everything possible to go after a character if they notice them. Just like many other zombie portrayals, only damage to the brain will truly keep them down permanently.
  • One bite is a death sentence. It doesn't matter if it's Carl or Wolverine, either will be dead 30 minutes later. The characters are aware of this and aware the world has been taken over by zombies.
  • Everyone has standard gear and unlimited ammo for basic weaponry (bullets/throwing projectiles/arrows). This doesn't mean they're weighed down by a sea of extra magazines and gear, though. Instead, think of it simply like a video game -- an extra magazine or item is there when they need it. However, items such as explosives and other special/unique gear are limited in supply.
  • Characters are not allowed to do something which would make it impossible for the zombies to reach them for a prolonged period of time. The combatants are on the move and looking to survive, but they will totally never camp and set up shop for an extended period of time, either. They can seek safety for required rest/food/etc, but once that is over, assume they'll venture back out into the chaos and remain on the move. How they'll act while out is of course open to debate.
  • All characters are in our version of Manhattan (that means there are no fictional safe houses they may have in place in their own worlds). Everyone else in the city (18+ million) is infected. These threats are scattered all throughout the city and yes, there are large groups in plenty of locations. The sewers and rooftops, however, are totally off limits. This is supposed to be a challenge, after all.
  • All characters/teams begin a fair distance apart and are obviously not visible. The characters have one simple objective: stay on the move and survive. Manhattan's a big place, so let's assume they each begin in completely different areas and on the street level. They are unable to leave the city and all vehicles are disabled. The city's power is out and this scenario begins an hour before sunset. The infection happened quickly and without ample warning, so many of the stores are still filled with supplies.
  • What happens if they potentially bump into one another is up for debate. You can argue why some may team up, or you can argue why some may avoid others or try to take them out.
  • I know it's a lot to take in, but I'm super proud of you for reading all of the rules. Give yourself a pat on the back before clicking the following link!

CLICK HERE TO VOTE!!!

No Caption Provided

Viners, you have the week to research, debate and vote! This means there's no reason to vote right away if you don't have all of the info you need to make an educated decision. Check the homepage Friday for an updated article with the following:

• My extended thoughts on the match.
  • A Viner Argument in favor of the poll's winner (can't include scans and must be in the poll thread).
  • Extra thoughts from other Comic Vine staffers.
  • If we're lucky, blurbs from industry talent.

Feel free to make future match suggestions in the comments below or via Gregg's Twitter page.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

this is awesome!

IndieComicsFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Again sweet thread this time. Really thought provoking and great since Season 4 of Walking Dead is coming up.

Loading Video...

Bloodshot - As awsome of abilities he has, he is not making it without large sums Protein to keep going. In this scenario, in this world, he will not make it.

Deathstroke- Slade Pre 52 was slightly Meta Human with skill, and the best military training. Even basic military training allows you to survive in a Walking Dead world. Yet DS still has the superior intellect along with these skills. Add in his stats, skill, and range weapons. He will sweep this board IMO.

Elektra - Peak Human that requires sleep and food? Not so much. She also relies on H2H too much. Not good against a Horde of Walkers.

Green Arrow - Same as above. He has the benefit of Arrows, but his trick arrows will be lacking in supplies. Being a mere peak human is the clincher.

Judge Dredd - Has the weapons, he has accuracy, however as the rules are his special rounds will be in short supply. Also he is still only peak human.

Lady Shiva - Martial Artist vs Horde of Walkers in H2H? lol no.

Punisher - Punisher like Dread and GA would last longer than either of them. He has all the training in the world for this. But he is still only Peak Human!

Red Hood - Peak Human with no shown skills in Survival. He lives in a city, never had to survive deserts, tundras, jungles, ect....

Snake Eyes - Like Punisher, SE could last forever, but not the best choice of a winner. He is peak human.

Taskmaster - Same boat as Snake Eyes and Punisher.

The Walking Dead - They have Experience and numbers. However they are less than peak human. They would last awhile, but would get nabbed in the end.

Wolverine - Everyone will vote for this guy, and on paper he should win. He does not need to eat or sleep half the time. He can skill wise cut up dozens of foes with ease. However his drawback is his own character and use of up close combat. Read any Zombie Survival Guide, range combat >>>>> close combat in Zombie Apocalypse. As the rules state, one bite and Logan is done!

So the winner is Deathstroke!

Deathstroke has Range Weapons and Accuracy to end most Walkers. He can do Close Combat if he has too. He has the survival skills to last. Most important, he has the slight Meta Human Stats to survive hordes of Walkers and any other non zombie foe in his way! Deathstroke wins.

My Synopsis for this battle in the Voting thread.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like this change of pace.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Going with Wolverine for the win here. He has the superhuman physicals (he has nonchalantly flinged a 1,600 lb dumpster with one hand, and has shown superhuman speed great enough to make Spider-Man think he could be faster than him during their fight), and the pure fighting skill necessary to beat all these zombies while avoiding being bitten. He's been noted to have a fighting brain complex enough to complete a gold medal winning routine while beating four chess computers in his head. He'll tactically know when to engage and disengage to survive. And none of the competitors in this fight are going to beat him one on one if a random encounter ensues. Deathstoke could (possibly) take Wolverine with his Nth armor on hand, but without it, he is going to lose a strong majority to Wolverine. So Logan crawls out of Manhattan winner after all the carnage has ensued.

Wyldsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By Wyldsong

So, there are a few things to think about here. When dealing with hordes of zombies that can kill you with a bite, range is key, movement is life, and you need to do your darnedest to stay out of melee range as that is a big risk of getting swarmed and becoming zombie chow. You also need to consider that if a primary melee character is engaged with a group of zombies that the slightest misstep could be fatal in terms of getting overrun and taking a zombie bite...this is something that a ranged character can take advantage of, as a well placed bullet or arrow can definitely throw a wrench in the works and create that fatal misstep. Bear in mind that we have plenty of characters that should be capable of tagging superhuman opponents at range.

The next thing you need to consider is: what happens when groups happen upon one another? It's a battle scenario, so a fight is going to break out, but we need to consider who can take who and who has a better chance in most scenarios, especially in a city with 18 million zombies and considering most fights between parties will probably have a zombie or two nearby which increases the chances for getting swarmed and bit. Remember, when the fights happen, it will generally be a three way affair: Combatant A vs Combatant B vs multitudes of Combatant Z.

A character can't be picked based on just one thing or the other in this scenario. You have to consider who is going to have the best shot at survival overall.

Now, this pains me to say it, I mean it physically hurts since I spend so much time debating against him in other threads, and add in the fact that there are characters I prefer over him in this grouping, but I have to back Deathstroke overall.

He is a crack shot and won't miss under pressure. He has a better than average chance at beating or outlasting most of the others in encounters with the zombies hordes all around (he has the stats/skills/equipment to keep up with some of the best in the DCU). His military/merc training should allow him to stealth past many encounters if needed. Most importantly, his tactical mindset and enhanced brain functions should allow him to maneuver, plan, and fight his way through a city of walkers while dealing with the other parties.

Now, this is not to say that he can't be beat in one on one encounters versus some of the others, but based on an overall survivability profile, I think he takes the majority.

Darkseid_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n I couldn't help but make my choice simply based on the fact that Liam Neeson wasn't an option to vote on. Otherwise I think I would have voted differently.

Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine, he smells like a zombie (lol) therefore no other zombie would go after him

detective38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this is an interesting poll. I think that it would call between deathstroke and punisher due to their weapon skills and survival training but they would be closely followed by Green Arrow, because people tend to forget that the reason he is so good with his bow is because he had to learn to survive on the island (and no I am not referring to the terrible take on "the island' used in the extremely mediocre arrow tv show). But I voted for Elektra because my female characters deserve some love too

EvilPenguin543

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know why, but this is my favorite battle of the week so far.

Kerrigan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Awesome battle. Advantage to the ninja types: if one bite = death, this is about avoidance and speed more than body count.

Picked Snake Eyes, pretty much a tossup with Deathstroke.

butters911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Walking Dead tv show is unwatchably bad.

HyperViper97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By HyperViper97

Unlimited ammo makes punisher da best. M60 forever = much less zombies

redhood21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The Walking Dead tv show is unwatchably bad.

is this a breaking bad joke or do i need to slap (and tickle) you :3

Psycorvus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deathstroke wins this I'm sure. I'd love to say Red Hood because I'm such a fan and argue he was trained by Batman and the Alcaste but when it comes down to it I think Deathstroke has it. Nth armor would be really handy, meta abilities for the win and he has all kinds of experience in hot zones. Add in his wide arsenal and mad skills and I'd say he takes this one.

Avatar image for friendlyneighborhoodspidey
friendlyNeighborhoodSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

While Deathstroke may have the best chance of survival as a loner I think a few of these people would end up teaming up, increasing their odds.

It's going to be necessary at some point to have at least one other person with you to watch as you sleep. Wolverine will probably quickly sniff out the Walking Dead Team and after watching them a bit probably throw in with them (Even though the clash of personalities is going to be horrible.) He'll probably play the independent outsider at first like Michonne.

Green Arrow and Snake Eyes have worked with teams, so I'd add them to the Wolverine/Walking Dead group. This could be a potent force to survive, though some of the Walking Deaders may not make it.

The others may form temporary alliances from time to time, but most of them prefer to work alone. Deathstroke and Taskmaster will probably have the worst time with this and may just go it alone which could be their downfall.

So in the end I'd say Deathstroke vs. Wolverine/Green Arrow/Snake Eyes/Walking Dead team...though that's not a poll option...

So let's say only one surivivor from this team. I'd go with Snake Eyes making it out from this group. Though a zombie Wolverine would be tough to kill with the adamantium-laced skull and spine. I say Green Arrow takes him out with an arrow to the eye before succumbing himself, leaving Snake Eyes the lone survivor to escape.

tuckboarder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think wolverine, or deadpool, the healing factor would really save them, and their skill with blades and unarmed combat is another thing, because if the walking dead has taught us anything it's that guns bring the horde

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By MonsterStomp

@tuckboarder: Their healing factor will fail to the zombie bites. Rule two (2).

One bite is a death sentence. It doesn't matter if it's Carl or Wolverine, either will be dead 30 minutes later. The characters are aware of this and aware the world has been taken over by zombies.

JuliusTakalua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deadpool, Deathstroke, and Spiderman. Basically anyone with exceptional military skills and metahuman abilities. Spiderman because he doesn't need to go down at all. just swing across building after building lol.

Nightwing4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So....like.....Superman isn't against the rules is he? Because unless the Sun goes out he's.....pretty safe.

Also Nightcrawler. Gotta like that skill set here.

FukYouRenchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So....like.....Superman isn't against the rules is he? Because unless the Sun goes out he's.....pretty safe.

Also Nightcrawler. Gotta like that skill set here.

Where did you get Nightcrawler and Superman from?

IndieComicsFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not true.

1) it has 200 rounds before needing Reload which is a 5-10 second reload time.

2) After 500 shots the Barrel is warped beyond use.

3) Jams alot as the rounds easily get kink.

Not a end all be all Machine Gun.

FukYouRenchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hyperviper97 said:

Not true.

1) I think he was implying he never had to reload at all

2) They have unlimited ammo and you think one of the rules is the guns will act real?

3) see 2

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#28 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@indiecomicsftw said:

@hyperviper97 said:

Not true.

2) They have unlimited ammo and you think one of the rules is the guns will act real?

3) see 2

Yes, characters must reload their weapons.

Instead, think of it simply like a video game -- an extra magazine or item is there when they need it.

As for how the weapon operates over a prolonged period of time... well, I wouldn't consider myself an expert on that by any means, so I suppose it's open to debate.

FukYouRenchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

@pr0metheus said:

@indiecomicsftw said:

@hyperviper97 said:

Not true.

3) see 2

Yes, characters must reload their weapons.

Instead, think of it simply like a video game -- an extra magazine or item is there when they need it.

As for how the weapon operates over a prolonged period of time... well, I wouldn't consider myself an expert on that by any means, so I suppose it's open to debate.

I meant the guy that said m60 forever = much less zombies.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Logan...

starscream22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyclops, all he has to do is look at a zombie and it is done. Also, in the case he is surrounded all he has to do is take off the visor and blam problem taken care of.

Second vote, if allowed, would be for Luke Cage. It seems like unbreakable skin would go a long way in a one bite and your done situation.