Comic Vine Battle of the Week VOTING: Marvel vs. DC Dodgeball

• 179 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

k4tzm4n  Moderator

Poll Comic Vine Battle of the Week VOTING: Marvel vs. DC Dodgeball (425 votes)

Team Marvel 45%
Team DC 44%
Too close to call 11%

There was a surprising amount of positive feedback during our last Battle of the Week scenario, so why not give the people what they want, right? The thought of comic book characters fighting to survive in a bleak zombie apocalypse had everyone's creative juices flowing, so this week we have another scenario... but this time, it's a tad less violent than slaughtering zombies and potentially being ripped apart. Odds are you've played dodgeball in school, but now it's time to think about how the game would go down between some talented, tactical and agile characters from Marvel and DC!

Also, congrats to to the Viner Darkseid_Prime, the only person to accurately guess this week's match based on the hint (Ben Stiller & Vince Vaughn)! At any rate, let's go ahead and check out the rules, shall we?

Comic Vine Battle of the Week Rules

• Players are in character.
  • Everyone is wearing standard gym clothing and is of course unarmed. For those concerned about keeping their identity a secret, a basic mask (which will not hinder their vision at all) is provided.
  • Elimination is via hit only.
  • If a character is hit, they can remain in the game if they or a teammate catch the ball before it hits the ground.
  • Balls are allowed to bounce off of the walls and ceiling, but it doesn't count if it ricochets off the ground.
  • The arena is 50 feet long, 30 feet wide, and 25 feet tall.
  • The match begins with 4 balls on the middle line (naturally, both teams have 25 feet on their side for distance).
  • These are standard dodgeballs but for simplicity's sake assume they will not pop/break.
  • DC characters are pre-52.
  • All characters enter knowing all of the game's rules.
  • Fear not, this game will be used again (assuming it's a success, that is) and will have characters with a greater variety of powers. This week, however, we really wanted to focus on skill and agility.

Team Marvel

Captain America, Elektra, Hawkeye, Deadpool

Team DC

Batman, Nightwing, Green Arrow, Harley Quinn

Viners, you have the week to research, debate and vote! This means there's no reason to vote right away if you don't have all of the info you need to make an educated decision. Check the homepage Friday for an updated article with the following:

• My extended thoughts on the match.
  • A Viner Argument in favor of the poll's winner (can't include scans and must be in the poll thread).
  • Extra thoughts from other Comic Vine staffers.
  • If we're lucky, blurbs from industry talent.

Feel free to make future match suggestions in the comments below or via Gregg's Twitter page.

• 
Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Uh.... wow.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Oh, and not really sure if it needs to be stated, but obviously the room is well lit and lights cannot be destroyed.

@wolverine08: I'll assume that's a good "wow" :D

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n:

Oh, it's a good wow. Definitely the most creative battle I've seen on the Vine!

Avatar image for hulk_post_absolute_power
hulk_post_absolute_power

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Captain America is the first to grab a ball and quickly useing his sheild throwing skills aims at batman who uses nightwing to take the hit while he grabs his first ball. Meanwhile harley quinn and deadpool both grab there first ball. Deadpool throws the ball high where Harley quickly grabs it while deadpool sais bouncy ;) she quickly hits him with both balls. Nightwing comes back in before he even had walked out he turns to see Electra beaning him with a ball as hawkeye catches batmans throw. Deadpool runs back in to get hit again by Harley who is then hit by captain America. Now there is just green arrow and 3 members of team marvel but all the balls are on green arrows side. He smiles and grabs them all first hey aims at Hawkeye missing the first past to only hit Hawkeye in the back Electra jumps for the ball only for green arrow to take his aim but cap intercept by catching the ball. Marvel wins

Edit

Apparently you can't return so every thing stays the same til nightwing return. Instead Electra launched a ball at Harley Quinn who launched one in return reaching a stand still when the balls collided. Meanwhile Hawkeye catches a ball thrown by batman. Now its 3 on 2 with the three having one ball and dc has 3. Hawkeye takes out Harley to be hit by green arrow. The end is the same with cap saving Electra

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@hulk_post_absolute_power: Characters can't return after being eliminated. Sorry for forgetting to add that. It's in the article rules but not this one.

mettlekm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

does deadpool have his healing factor? :)

To me Elektra wins it for Team Marvel. She is the most elusive.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By lifeofvibe

im asuming the battle like

batman vs captain america tie

green arrow vs hawkeye tie

electra vs nightwing electra

harley quinn vs deadpool too close to call

so i have no idea who wins or im reluctant to say this but marvel wins

LCazT1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By LCazT1996

Does hitting Batman's cape count as elimination? xD

And also, what about Green Arrow/Hawkeye's bow? Deadpool's swords?

Drummer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Deadpool will be the first out... he will be to busy running his mouth and take one in the head

lmothander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This comes down to who is better at dodge ball... flash or quicksilver. "Now you're all in big, BIG trouble"

LCazT1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LCazT1996

This comes down to who is better at dodge ball... flash or quicksilver. "Now you're all in big, BIG trouble"

...neither of them are in this match-up.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SHIT! I didnt see the team description. I thought it was a full roster kind of scenario :D
I voted for DC in a hurry.

I think marvel will take this one.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

A really creative battle and I really don't know who'll win this epic dodgeball match. In any case, this dodgeball match is bound to be Chuck Norris approved!

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

im asuming the battle like

batman vs captain america tie

green arrow vs hawkeye tie

electra vs nightwing electra

harley quinn vs deadpool too close to call

so i have no idea who wins

Dodgeball doesn't work like that.

Bonzi161

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like a lot of people commenting did not read the description... just saying

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Shawnbaby

If Captain America can see faster than bullets...than dodgeballs will be moving in slow motion to him. So not only will he be difficult to hit...he'll have a good shot at catching any ricochets off of himself or other teammates.

Mrgreenlantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Mrgreenlantern

dang this is a goodie! im glad to see no spiders on the marvel side and no speedsters on the dc side, ill wait and decide over the course of the week who would win

kidman560

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

so Cap is the MVP here. No one else on any team reacts as fast as he does (except maybe Elektra!) and no one else can equals his throwing skills. while Deadpool is a problem in this case he can be used as a human shield.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like Cap is MVP.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jashro44

@shawnbaby said:

If Captain America can see faster than bullets...than dodgeballs will be moving in slow motion to him.

I think pretty much any character here can dodge the actual bullets themselves. Not that Cap isn't going to be seriously difficult to beat for the DC team.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Cap is the best team leader possible, so I'm going to give it to Marvel but by just a little.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for king_of_the_dead
King_Of_The_Dead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By King_Of_The_Dead

Now this is what I'm talking about!!! Very creative!!! I see you left Spiderman and Daredevil off the teams though huh...? ;) Since Nightwing is the most agile person in all of the DC universe probably even more so than Cap IMO and I'd put Cap and Batman on about the same level in the acrobatics department. I think DC wins this. It'll be very close. I'd pay top dollar to watch this match!!! No joke! Lol.

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shawnbaby: it can...if you think about it

Dodgeball is a team based free-for-all. Yes, you could have people line up directly across from each other and focus solely on the person in front of them....people like that tend to get eliminated quickly though.

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44 said:

@shawnbaby said:

If Captain America can see faster than bullets...than dodgeballs will be moving in slow motion to him.

I think pretty much any character here can dodge the actual bullets themselves. Not that Cap isn't going to be seriously difficult to beat for the DC team.

I didn't say Dodge Bullets...i said he can see faster than the bullets move.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Now this is what I'm talking about!!! Very creative!!! I see you left Spiderman and Daredevil off the teams though huh...? ;)

Thanks!!! And yeah, I purposely left out those two because I feel it would have made matters particularly unfair.

The_Vein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By The_Vein

I think Cap's leadership skills will win the day-- he's a physical match for Batman or Nightwing and his team would work better under his command, except for Deadpool but he and Harley would both be the first ones out.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44 said:

@shawnbaby said:

I recall an argument being made so can batman. But honestly I think the dodge balls are going to be moving slow motion for everyone here. I think we suppose to just debate who has better reflexes, agility, accuracy, strength and whatever else may occur in a dodge ball match.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I'll give it to DC, especially with Nightwing. He's agile as heck, def their MVP.

MrShway88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are characters in character? Because there are a few people I don't see playing dodge ball. Batman for example I can't see playing.

hulk_post_absolute_power

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LCazT1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@hulk_post_absolute_power said:

@lcazt1996: no equipment remember

Oh right. Well still, what about Batman's cape? xD

• Everyone is wearing standard gym clothing and is of course unarmed. For those concerned about keeping their identity a secret, a basic mask (which will not hinder their vision at all) is provided.
ShirEPanjshir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

In my opinion it goes to the Marvel Team.

Simply because the DC team has no super powered characters. Think about it. Nearly all of the DC characters have top human physique and thus agility. But they're still limited to human possibilities. Whereas Marvel has super-human characters involved (Captain America, Deadpool). Logic dictates that even Nightwing or Batman's agility and endurance won't be able to compete with that of Cap and Deadpool. And Green Arrow and Quinn aren't superior to those two, so... Though Deadpool might be hit easily simply because ... Well, it's dodgeball, he won't take it seriously. But Cap leading the team with Hawkeye and Elektra should make this a Marvel win.

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44 said:

@shawnbaby said:

@jashro44 said:

@shawnbaby said:

I recall an argument being made so can batman. But honestly I think the dodge balls are going to be moving slow motion for everyone here. I think we suppose to just debate who has better reflexes, agility, accuracy, strength and whatever else may occur in a dodge ball match.

In that case, Then due to the skill and agility of everyone here...the stat that really pops out is endurance. After hours of throwing them...even something as light as a dodgeball will start to feel like a medicine ball...unless of course you have a healing factor or a Super Soldier Serum that prevents lactic acid (which causes muscle fatigue) from building up in your muscles. Marvel has the advantage in the long game.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm taking the week off.

nickxfrye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Team Marvel wins hands down. Dodge ball is a team sport and Captain America is a born leader. Cap pulls the team together and then his brilliant tactical mind goes to work. Although Batman is also a brilliant tactician he doesn't have the leadership abilities that Cap does and the DC team falls under the pressure of organized strikes and Deadpool's unpredictable playing style.

StephenStrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By StephenStrange

The fact that the character can avoid elimination by having him or a team mate catch the ball after it hits him means this is gonna take an extremely long time for anyone to be KOed. The balls looses alot of velocity after bouncing off someone and definitely will be travelling slow enough to be caught. So... frankly I see this game dragging on long enough to the point that it gets boring. Too close to call.

Edit: I guess the best way to minimise the chance of the target or a teammate making a save is to throw the ball so that it ricochets off the bottom of the player's kneecap and hits the floor ASAP. So what you'll need for this move is marksmanship and the ability to predict how the posture of your target will be when your thrown ball hits him. In one word: Steve Rogers. He'll be MVP.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#39  Edited By Saren

No one here has any kind of dodging advantage over anyone. Dodging bullets on a regular basis means dodging balls isn't going to be hard. The key to winning isn't just dodging, throwing and hoping for a lucky break; it's going to be the ability to maneuver and create opportunities to knock people out. It's why putting Batman and Nightwing on the same team gives an edge to the DC team, because they have the advantage of years of experience and familiarity with each other's moves on their side. I'm not talking about how Batman knows Ollie's routines since they've worked together or how Cap knows Hawkeye's routines for the same reason. I'm talking about how Bruce and Dick honed their skills together, practicing co-operative dodges and strikes a thousand times a day, day in and day out for years until they instinctively knew how their partner would react to a situation and how to turn a disadvantage into a commanding position.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Their tactics and routines, and focus at pulling off those routines rare more ingrained than anyone else in this competition. Elektra throws a ball at Nightwing, but she hasn't just thrown a ball at Nightwing, she's given Batman the opening to strike her. Cap throws a ball at Batman and he'll redirect so Nightwing can spike it at his face, and no one ever sees it coming because the Duo's been doing these tricks until they became second nature. It gives them a pretty serious advantage if you ask me, enough that the duo could knock out two or three contenders on the opposite team by themselves. Toss in the fact that Deadpool in character will likely get socked in the head by pretty much everyone.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can all thank me for using Wrath scans any time

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Cable_Extreme

@k4tzm4n said:

Oh, and not really sure if it needs to be stated, but obviously the room is well lit and lights cannot be destroyed.

Then the room is destroyed!!!!!! lol

This is a very interesting match up. Good job BIO!!! I am going to spend time looking at this. Right now I, all of these guys are bullet timers, so I see them pretty much catching every ball thrown lol.

worldFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This will be one long match, but Captain America throws a shield (which I assume is heavier than a dodge ball by a lot) with enough force to wreck trucks. Just leaving that statement here.

On an unrelated topic, Team Marvel has two superhuman members. What is this? :P

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Team Marvel.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This will be one long match, but Captain America throws a shield (which I assume is heavier than a dodge ball by a lot) with enough force to wreck trucks. Just leaving that statement here.

The shield does quite a bit of that, actually. It hits very, very hard.

krspaceT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 13

I think DC will win because, of this group, I have the oddest feeling that Nightwing and Harley are the only ones who would have played the game in recent enough times to give them an edge from the learning curve for the older, less conventional above fellows

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dodgeball?! Ha, this is genius!

I'm going team MARVEL.

Harley seems to be he weak link for her squad. In the words of the great Patches O'Hoolihan shes "about as useful as a poopy favored lolipop"

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monsterstomp said:

The shield does quite a bit of that, actually. It hits very, very hard.

I assume it has something to do with the density. But has it ever been explained why? His shield absorbs vibration. It should just hit the truck absorbing all the vibration on impact, deadening the destruction. I don't know how much the shield weighs, by Marvel wiki it's 10 pounds which isn't that much. I don't know. It's a weird device.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

No one here has any kind of dodging advantage over anyone. Dodging bullets on a regular basis means dodging balls isn't going to be hard. The key to winning isn't just dodging, throwing and hoping for a lucky break; it's going to be the ability to maneuver and create opportunities to knock people out. It's why putting Batman and Nightwing on the same team gives an edge to the DC team, because they have the advantage of years of experience and familiarity with each other's moves on their side. I'm not talking about how Batman knows Ollie's routines since they've worked together or how Cap knows Hawkeye's routines for the same reason. I'm talking about how Bruce and Dick honed their skills together, practicing co-operative dodges and strikes a thousand times a day, day in and day out for years until they instinctively knew how their partner would react to a situation and how to turn a disadvantage into a commanding position.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Their tactics and routines, and focus at pulling off those routines rare more ingrained than anyone else in this competition. Elektra throws a ball at Nightwing, but she hasn't just thrown a ball at Nightwing, she's given Batman the opening to strike her. Cap throws a ball at Batman and he'll redirect so Nightwing can spike it at his face, and no one ever sees it coming because the Duo's been doing these tricks until they became second nature. It gives them a pretty serious advantage if you ask me, enough that the duo could knock out two or three contenders on the opposite team by themselves. Toss in the fact that Deadpool in character will likely get socked in the head by pretty much everyone.

This

hulk_post_absolute_power

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@worldflash: i'm just posting the scenario I see in my head. Cap is fastest runner here so he gets the first ball, Batman is smart enough not to go back but instead use a human sheild. Id love to hear your version of this face off