There was a surprising amount of positive feedback during our last Battle of the Week scenario, so why not give the people what they want, right? The thought of comic book characters fighting to survive in a bleak zombie apocalypse had everyone's creative juices flowing, so this week we have another scenario... but this time, it's a tad less violent than slaughtering zombies and potentially being ripped apart. Odds are you've played dodgeball in school, but now it's time to think about how the game would go down between some talented, tactical and agile characters from Marvel and DC!
Also, congrats to to the Viner Darkseid_Prime, the only person to accurately guess this week's match based on the hint (Ben Stiller & Vince Vaughn)! At any rate, let's go ahead and check out the rules, shall we?
Comic Vine Battle of the Week Rules
- Players are in character.
- Everyone is wearing standard gym clothing and is of course unarmed. For those concerned about keeping their identity a secret, a basic mask (which will not hinder their vision at all) is provided.
- Elimination is via hit only.
- If a character is hit, they can remain in the game if they or a teammate catch the ball before it hits the ground.
- Balls are allowed to bounce off of the walls and ceiling, but it doesn't count if it ricochets off the ground.
- The arena is 50 feet long, 30 feet wide, and 25 feet tall.
- The match begins with 4 balls on the middle line (naturally, both teams have 25 feet on their side for distance).
- These are standard dodgeballs but for simplicity's sake assume they will not pop/break.
- DC characters are pre-52.
- All characters enter knowing all of the game's rules.
- Fear not, this game will be used again (assuming it's a success, that is) and will have characters with a greater variety of powers. This week, however, we really wanted to focus on skill and agility.
Viners, you have the week to research, debate and vote! This means there's no reason to vote right away if you don't have all of the info you need to make an educated decision. Check the homepage Friday for an updated article with the following:
- My extended thoughts on the match.
- A Viner Argument in favor of the poll's winner (can't include scans and must be in the poll thread).
- Extra thoughts from other Comic Vine staffers.
- If we're lucky, blurbs from industry talent.
Feel free to make future match suggestions in the comments below or via Gregg's Twitter page.