CaV Spider-Man(Blackspidey) and Green Goblin(MH) vs Ken Kaneki(Valor) and Garou(Watcher) (Watcher and Valor win)

• 163 results
#151 Edited by Streak619 (8127 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackspidey2099: your response to his water stream technique was inadequets and quite frankly not valid.

You said:

"I also can't imagine how Garou could just redirect webbing, considering it will stick to him. He can't magically make it just bounce off..."

First off this is an invalid and fallacious argument. 'Argumentum ad incredulity' is the precise name of this type of argument/fallacy. Not being able to imagine it, is in no way an argument to debunk something.

Secondly, denying this ability works, is pointless, since it has redirected stuff coming with more force than spidey's web. So rather than denying it, you should have, IMO, brought up all the occasions that Garou didn't use it and shown, that with the web's vast versatility even if Garou could redirect it, spiderman still has many uses out of it.

You should have also argued that it wouldn't be very practical for Garou to use it, because the water stream technique isn't a light technique and does consume stamina, whereas spidey's webs do not, so Garou is more likelier to dodge the web than to continuously redirect it.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
#152 Edited by blackspidey2099 (6848 posts) - - Show Bio

@streak619: Thanks for the feedback! I was trying to say that there’s a difference redirecting punches and solid attacks like that and being able to redirect webs which are extremely sticky and don’t really bounce off of things, but I guess I worded that badly. I’ll make sure I improve my clarity for next time. I didn’t really think of the other points you bring up since I really didn’t know anything about OPM and didn’t even know Garou existed until this debate started. But ignorance isn’t an excuse for not doing enough research, so you’re definitely right.

#153 Edited by Streak619 (8127 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackspidey2099: Sorry if i came off rude. I still think asides from maybe one or two point overall, your debating was, as watcher said, quite good. Good luck :)

Edit:regardless, your debating had me convinced you have watched OPM. Considering that you haven't, your debating was really good

Avatar image for major_hellstrom
#154 Posted by Major_Hellstrom (18072 posts) - - Show Bio
#155 Posted by blackspidey2099 (6848 posts) - - Show Bio

@streak619: No man, I didn't think you were rude or anything like that. I'm just thankful you took the time to pinpoint some areas to improve for me, since I haven't really done too many CaVs. And thanks for the compliment!

#156 Edited by TheWatcherKing (18711 posts) - - Show Bio

@streak619: Okay, I just want to throw out there that none of Garou's techniques have been stated to consume a lot of stamina.

#157 Posted by Streak619 (8127 posts) - - Show Bio

@watcher5000: true, but they do consume stamina, whereas spidey can spam web attacks with no dent in his stamina

#158 Posted by Major_Hellstrom (18072 posts) - - Show Bio
#159 Edited by HigherPower (12399 posts) - - Show Bio

@watcher5000@major_hellstorm@valor_175@blackspidey2099 Well, it was a lot to read but I finally got through.

Firstly, I just want to say congrats to everyone. This CaV was perfectly formatted and easy to read and accesible. I learned a lot about the characters I didn't know and I really appreciate the tone and friendliness of the debaters to each other. Lot's of things to compliment and I don't have much to critique. The usual things that bother me in CaVs are instances of highballing and lowballing and lackluster arguments, none of which were present here. So if I have to give my vote based on something else, I'd give it to the manga team, @valor_175 and @watcher5000.

I feel as if the comic team started off on a really strong foot but their counters got weaker as the debate progressed because it became more and more apparent that Garou and Kaneki had better feats. I don't really know how to go in detail, but to give examples, blackspidey didn't do a good job of convincing me that Spider-Man was faster than Garou and Kaneki vs Hobgoblin (while it could go either way), required less scaling on Kaneki's side and he had more versatility.

I feel like the debaters were neck and neck as far as competence and quality of arguments go, so this is one of those situations where feats speak for themselves and I have to give it to the more powerful duo. Also, watcher did a very good job of refuting and debunking spider-man's feats which showed he had good grounding on both characters overall. Major hellstorm did the best job of not highballing his character nor lowballing his opponent which shows experience and lack of bias as a debater. Valor and blackspidey did what they do best and representing their characters to their knowledge, and with performances from all debaters being this good I have to say this has been one of the best CaVs I've read in a while. Good job everyone.

#160 Edited by TheWatcherKing (18711 posts) - - Show Bio
#161 Posted by HigherPower (12399 posts) - - Show Bio
#162 Posted by blackspidey2099 (6848 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_vulcan: Thanks for the vote, man! Im glad you enjoyed reading through the debate (though sorry it got so long).

#163 Posted by ValorKnight (12595 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_vulcan: Great analysis, we really appreciate the vote.

#164 Posted by Major_Hellstrom (18072 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_vulcan: Thanks for the vote. And I was repping Green Goblin not Hobgoblin. Lol.

#165 Posted by HigherPower (12399 posts) - - Show Bio
#167 Posted by blackspidey2099 (6848 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump

#168 Posted by TheWatcherKing (18711 posts) - - Show Bio
#169 Posted by Major_Hellstrom (18072 posts) - - Show Bio

@watcher5000: Agreed. (Also, was it just me or did TDB forget to post this in voting?)

#170 Posted by ValorKnight (12595 posts) - - Show Bio
#171 Posted by TheWatcherKing (18711 posts) - - Show Bio
#172 Posted by Major_Hellstrom (18072 posts) - - Show Bio

@watcher5000: I must have missed it then. Forgot to thank them.

#173 Posted by TheWatcherKing (18711 posts) - - Show Bio
#174 Posted by Major_Hellstrom (18072 posts) - - Show Bio
#175 Posted by blackspidey2099 (6848 posts) - - Show Bio

@watcher5000: Congrats on the victory to you and @valor_175! This was a fun debate!