CAV: Sinestro (Lvenger) vs Thor (Thor_Parker82) - VOTING CLOSED! MATCH TIE!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By Lvenger

Thaal Sinestro defended by Lvenger

No Caption Provided

VS

Thor Odinson defended by Thor_Parker82

No Caption Provided

Rules

• Pre Flashpoint/New 52 Composite Sinestro (No Parallax)
  • Worthy 616 Thor with Mjolnir
  • In character but determined to win
  • Win by KO, Incapacitation or Death
  • Battle takes place on an indestructible planet
  • Both start 200 feet apart
No Caption Provided

General CAV Rules:

- If you want to notify either of us of anything relevant to the debate, pm us

- Please don't actually debate on this thread, this is a challenge between the two of us

- Please don't make premature statements in regards to the victor

- When voting, vote for the person you believed set out a better argument (not mainly the character that you think would actually win the fight)

- When voting provide reasoning, mostly as proof that you've actually read and understood it

- You must have over 500 posts to vote on this CAV. Sorry for the sudden rule change, @thor_parker82 wanted this to be edited in

- While posting battle relevant posts is not allowed, feel free to post any jokes, memes, or call outs you desire.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Thor-Parker

@lvenger: Nice, would you mind opening ?? I´m still working on my post for a tournament, so I won´t be able to post now.

emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4 emperorthanos-  Moderator  Online

t4v

Stormdriven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tag por favor

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

T4V.

Debelindzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DIS gon be gud t T4V

Pr0tocol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

T4V, Interested to learn about Sinestro.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Lvenger
never give up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By never give up

T4V.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This should be good™

GIliad_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dondave: T's about time you trademarked that.

Also... Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes, Yes! TV4

Lejon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Lejon

Did gone be gud TV4

OrdinaryAlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

T4V please. :)

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

T4V please!

Avatar image for flashoftommorow
FlashofTommorow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

T4V

The_Batmobile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

T4V

destinyman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TV4 please

Darth_Nimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

T4V

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

A shieeet, dis gun be gud.

T4V. Interested in seeing how this plays out

XLR87T3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

T4V

Avatar image for heirtothekingdom
HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By HeirToTheKingdom

Interesting.

T4V.

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

T4V please.

Lukundra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TFV please

Avatar image for deactivated-5c440d93be848
deactivated-5c440d93be848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_parker82: would you would mind tagging me please

thanks in advance bud

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for thenewbluebeetle007
TheNewBlueBeetle007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_parker82: I haven't read some of your stuff in a while mate... that said, I hope you've improved a lot because L is one of the best debaters on here.

Good luck to both, and t4v

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

Awesome. Tag!

Vertigo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh man, this one should be really good. T4V

@lvenger question since you're using N52 Sinestro feats, I assume you aren't including ones where Sinestro has complete control of the Parralax entity?

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Tag for votes please

KingCrimson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

T4V, I know almost nothing about Sinestro so I'm excited to see what he can do!

Good luck both.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_parker82:

Thaal Sinestro

No Caption Provided

Backstory

Thaal Sinestro of the planet Korugar was once the Green Lantern of Sector 1417 and grew to be considered the greatest of the Green Lanterns at the time. He was close friends with Abin Sur, the Green Lantern of Sector 2814 and after Abin perished on Earth, Sinestro mentored his replacement, the Earthling Hal Jordan. However, it was discovered that Sinestro's success at bringing law and order came from maintaining a a totalitarian grip over Korugar where Sinestro had seized control of the planet and his people. Hal exposed Sinestro's duplicity and the Guardians banished Sinestro to the Antimatter universe, stripping him of his ring. There, Sinestro met the Weaponers of Qward who fashioned Sinestro a yellow power ring (later revealed to be powered by fear) to carry out his vengeance. Sinestro became Hal Jordan and the Green Lantern Corps' greatest enemy. He eventually created an entire Lantern Corps of yellow lanterns bearing his name, The Sinestro Corps, to carry out his own brand of order and justice to the universe.

Ring Capabilities Introduction

No Caption Provided

Sinestro's power ring has pretty much the same abilities as a Green Lantern ring; energy blasts, hard light energy constructs, flight, forcefield generation, energy absorption and a whole bunch of extraneous abilities except powered by fear rather than willpower. For energy blasts, Sinestro has casually blasted Hal Jordan out of the Watchtower and hurtling across the moon, along with drawing blood from Hal whilst his auto shields were up (Green Lantern Rebirth #5)

He's KOed Uncle Sam, a Class 100 who was trading blows with Black Adam in the same story, in a single blast (Infinite Crisis #1)

And his firepower can easily put other top tier Lanterns such as Star Sapphire Carol Ferris on the backfoot (Green Lantern #45)

No Caption Provided

The main trade of a Lantern is their constructs though and Sinestro can make formidable and versatile creations. One way he might choose to attack Thor is restraining him with a giant hand construct and following up with a rapid fire gattling gun esque plasma bombardment. This was able to restrain and damage Lobo, a physical equal to Superman with insane regeneration (Green Lantern #55)

No Caption Provided

Alternatively, Sinestro can create giant constructs if he wishes to engage more directly with Thor (Blackest Night #7)

No Caption Provided

He can also use AOE constructs if Thor is too close for comfort.

No Caption Provided

Sinestro can also use his constructs defensively to protect himself from Thor's attacks. He's blocked a laser barrage of Qwardian weapons for instance.

No Caption Provided

And he's blocked a construct from Hal Jordan with one of his own (Green Lantern #53)

No Caption Provided

Initial Case Summary

I obviously don't want to overplay my hand just yet so I'll end my intro a little shorter than I sometimes tend to do. This is just a taster of Sinestro's full capabilities. I believe he has the firepower, versatility and defensive abilities to mix it up with Thor in direct battle at ranged or up close, though Sinestro does favour ranged combat usually. What makes Sinestro even more dangerous is his tactical cunning approach to combat. Sinestro is a tricky and unpredictable foe than Thor is used to facing and will be willing to change his tactics on the fly so they're best suited to fight Thor. Thor on the other hand has a one track mindset to battle; go in hammer swinging like a bar room brawler to try and overpower his opponent. These simple tactics do work on lesser opponents but Sinestro's versatility is best suited to deal with Thor's predictable tactics. Furthermore, Sinestro is ruthless without being determined to win and here if he's determined to win, he'll seek to kill Thor from the get go. Thor is often guilty of holding back his power early in a fight whereas Sinestro won't be so willing to hold back. Combined with a versatile and deadly weapon, Sinestro has the means, ruthless cunning and flexibility to wear down, distract and take Thor down.

Your turn @thor_parker82

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackestnight93: Yes that's correct, I'm not using any Parallax showings for Sinestro, that would be an unfair advantage against standard Thor.

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

T4V

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Thor-Parker
No Caption Provided

Thor Odinson

Thor is the blood-son of Odin, All-Father of the Asgardians, and Jord, who was also known as Gaea, the goddess who was one of the Elder Gods. Odin sought to father a son whose power would derive from both Asgard and Midgard (as the Earth realm is called by Asgardians), and hence he sought to mate with Jord.

Thor - God of Thunder - Prince of Asgard - Son of Odin

"All the power of the storm, from all the world, flows through my veins, and can be summoned by mine hammer at any time, wherever it is. A lightning storm in Japan? Mine. A hurricane off the coast of Barbados? Mine again. A brace of tornadoes in Kansas? Aye...mine. All that might, all that destructive force, mine to command. Channeled and guided through the mystic might of this hammer, guided right at thee!"

Powers :

• Superhuman strength exceeding 100 tons by far
  • Superhuman durability
  • Superhuman reflexes
  • Superhuman stamina
  • Tectonic Control
  • Weather control
  • Energy manipulation
  • Energy absorption
  • Energy projection
  • Matter manipulation
  • Force Fields
  • FTL flying speed

I´ll start with some of Thor´s basic feats.

Striking power

In Age of Ultron #0.1, Spider-Woman went missing, so the Avengers went in a mission to find her, in that mission they encounter M.O.D.O.K, who proceeds to state that their attacks are useless, that his shields were capable of withstanding a nuclear attack, then Thor proceeds to effortlessly one shot him, meaning Odinson can effortlessly unleash the power of a nuclear attack.

No Caption Provided

In an other instance, Thor showcased that he can effortlessly destroy multiple sentinels like they are made of paper, he just flew through them and destroy several of the sentinels that were attacking the earth, as it was seen during the story arc called Kang Dynasty, especifically in "Avengers (1998) #49".

Strength

As seen in "Journey into Mystery #92", Thor brings down the leaning tower of pisa with one finger and did it as casually as could be.

No Caption Provided

He has also moved millions of tons of earth over Loki with his bare hands in "West Coast Avengers #55" and yet again, did it casually.

No Caption Provided

Durability

Thor has also shown that he can tank city level attacks with no problem whatsoever and you can see an example in "Avengers (1998) #49" when Kang wipes out an entire city with a blast, yet Thor was unharmed and was more worried about all the civilian casualties around him.

He also worked his way through a blast fired by Perrikus who had previously subdued all of Asgard with the help of Zelia who had absorbed a portion of Odin´s power.

No Caption Provided

You didn´t make a large post, so I´ll just make a short one as well, these are just the intros after all, but now, let´s take a look at...........

Counters

The main trade of a Lantern is their constructs though and Sinestro can make formidable and versatile creations. One way he might choose to attack Thor is restraining him with a giant hand construct and following up with a rapid fire gattling gun esque plasma bombardment. This was able to restrain and damage Lobo, a physical equal to Superman with insane regeneration (Green Lantern #55)

Your comparison is wrong though, Lobo´s only chance was to physically try to overpower and break out of Sinestro´s construct, whereas Thor doesn´t need to do that, he can just use a lightning on Sinestro and damage him, thus the latter would lose concentration on the construct and let Thor free.

Alternatively, Sinestro can create giant constructs if he wishes to engage more directly with Thor (Blackest Night #7)

And how durable is that construct that Sinestro made of himself ?? What´s to say it can´t be put down by a nuclear attack (an attack which we have seen is completely within Thor´s striking power) ??

Sinestro can also use his constructs defensively to protect himself from Thor's attacks. He's blocked a laser barrage of Qwardian weapons for instance.

You know, I´m going to need some feats for those Qwardian weapons, because so far, that doesn´t seem impressive to me, Thor could just shatter his shield construct the same way he did to Kang´s forcefields during "Avengers #8" or like the time Magneto said his shield couldn´t hold Thor for long in "Journey into Mystery #109".

Sinestro is ruthless without being determined to win and here if he's determined to win, he'll seek to kill Thor from the get go. Thor is often guilty of holding back his power early in a fight whereas Sinestro won't be so willing to hold back.

This is kind of wrong though, Thor indeed does hold back in the beggining of a fight, but when he´s determined to win he can be much more deadly without being bloodlusted, take for example "Thor Vol. 2 #9" when Thor faced Replicus and took him out the moment he decided to do so, just so you know, Replicus gave Thor a lot of trouble in a previous fight, Thor struggled immensely against the robot and took an entire issue for Thor to defeat him, whereas in this instance, he states he doesn´t have time for this battle and he just ends it in one page.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

This is just an intro so this should suffice for now, I truly believe Thor has all the means to win this battle and I´ll go more into that on my next post, looking forward to your reply.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Forgot to tag you, my post is above.

comic_fan123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

T4V

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers