• 54 results
#1 Posted by Veshark (10440 posts) - - Show Bio

Nova (NewWorldOrder) vs. Ultimate Iron Man (Veshark)

Sam Alexander vs. Tony Stark
Sam Alexander vs. Tony Stark

Conditions

• Iron Man is in the IronTech Armor, and has mission control support
  • In-character; win by KO, Incap, or Death

Battlefield

Shipping Yard, Daytime
Shipping Yard, Daytime
  • Abandoned, zero civilians
  • Both combatants start in visual range
#2 Edited by Veshark (10440 posts) - - Show Bio

@New_World_Order Thread's up. Let me know if anything in the OP needs changing and if you wanna go first.

#3 Edited by jashro44 (50806 posts) - - Show Bio

Never seen Sam in a challenge a viner before. Should be interesting.

Avatar image for New_World_Order
#4 Posted by New_World_Order (14895 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: Okay.

@jashro44 said:

Never seen Sam in a challenge a viner before. Should be interesting.

Wanted to use one of my new favorite characters.

#5 Posted by Veshark (10440 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by Wardemon32 (5486 posts) - - Show Bio

Tag me for votes

#7 Posted by New_World_Order (14895 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by Veshark (10440 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by New_World_Order (14895 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for allstarsuperman
#10 Posted by AllStarSuperman (42487 posts) - - Show Bio

tag for votes, I was just looking into Ultimate Ironman actually

#11 Edited by Veshark (10440 posts) - - Show Bio

@wardemon32 @allstarsuperman Will do ;)

Alright, @New_World_Order, let's get this CaV started!

Ultimate Iron Man
Ultimate Iron Man

Introduction

To start this off; I’ll begin with a quick rundown of Ultimate Iron Man. Like his 616 counterpart, Tony Stark is the CEO of Stark Industries, and the genius responsible for building the Iron Man. With his advanced armor, Tony has served in every incarnation of the Ultimates, and holds over a decade of superhero experience to his name.

In this CaV, Tony will be wearing the latest version of his Iron Tech armor. The suit is controlled by nanites within Tony’s blood; and the Iron Man grants him 100+ ton strength, enhanced reflexes, flight, lasers, and a variety of other capabilities. In addition, he’ll also have mission control support from both his crew and satellites to aid him in this battle.

With that out of the way, let’s look at what Ultimate Iron Man can do:

Strength

Note: ignore the stuff about the 'bio-armor', it's been retconned out
Note: ignore the stuff about the 'bio-armor', it's been retconned out

Now according to Tony’s entry in the Ultimate Marvel Handbook, Iron Man’s strength level is gauged at Rank6. This puts his strength somewhere between an estimated 100-1000 ton range. Rank 6 is a level that Iron Man shares with other powerhouses like Ultimate Captain Britain and Ultimate Colossus.

To put this into perspective: Ultimate Captain Britain was able to effortlessly lift a ballistic missile, which weighs anywhere between 60-100 tons. And Ultimate Colossus could lift a submerged K14 submarine, which weighs about 4000 tons. This should give you a good general idea about the degree of strength that the Iron Tech armor is packing.

But all Handbook stats and numbers aside, let’s move on to actual on-panel showings of Ultimate Iron Man’s strength. Specifically, I’ll be looking at two instances here: lifting strength, and striking power.

To display the former, here’s one of my favorite Ultimate Iron Man showings from Ultimates Annual #1. In it, a group of terrorists have hijacked a plane and taken all its passengers hostage. So how does Tony safely disarm the bad guys?

By flipping an entire airplane upside-down and then carrying it by one wing:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

A quick Google search puts the average commercial airplane at about 80 to 100 tons. But bear in mind that Tony hasn’t just flipped the entire craft a full 180 degrees; his armor is also carrying and flying the plane (Because commercial airplanes don’t fly upside-down).

The Iron Tech armor possesses enough strength to keep the entire plane horizontal, in mid-air, by lifting one wing alone. He’s carrying it in place – and sustaining the plane’s altitude. This is a great feat because it shows the amount of weight that the suit can support.

Moving on to the latter type of strength – this next feat will illustrate the level of striking power that Ultimate Iron Man possesses. In the scan below, Ultimate Iron Man hits Ultimate Hulk with a powerful punch that sends Banner flying:

No Caption Provided

The hit sends the 1200lbs Hulk flying out the roof of Grand Central, before landing several blocks away. And as we all know, Ultimate Hulk has ridiculous durability to blunt force. This is the same Hulk who was unharmed by a tank falling on him and Mjolnir’s blows. Which makes the momentum of Tony’s striking power here all the more impressive here.

Speed

Seeing as how both Nova and Ultimate Iron Man are flyers – I doubt this encounter is going to be a ground battle. Both combatants will likely be trading shots while soaring over the shipping yard, so I’ll be focusing on the armor’s flight for this section.

The speed and maneuverability of Ultimate Iron Man’s flight is remarkable. In the scans below, a probe traveling towards the Earth from space is stated to be moving at 99% of light speed.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Despite that, Ultimate Iron Man (along with Captain Marvel) are able to catch up to the object and intercept it. Not only is the suit able to fly fast enough for Tony to see the object, but he’s even able to catch the probe with a tractor beam.

And since we’re discussing speed, let’s cover Ultimate Iron Man’s reaction time as well. Now Tony himself already has extremely sharp cognitive faculties. Nick Fury once said that Stark could “conduct a multilingual business deal, satisfy a girlfriend over the phone, and memorize a 600-page briefing at the same time.

No Caption Provided

But with the Iron Tech armor – as well as the nanites in his bloodstream – Ultimate Iron Man’s reflexes are enhanced and able keep up with his suit’s incredible motion. In the scan below, a squad of Firepower suits fire on Tony with machine-guns. Tony is shown to be able to react in time and activate his force-field:

No Caption Provided
Note: The force-field only fails here because the system was affected in an earlier battle
Note: The force-field only fails here because the system was affected in an earlier battle

The feat proves that Ultimate Iron Man is able to respond at bullet-speeds. It’s not a case of aim-dodging or moving faster than a shooter. And it’s not even like Captain America charging with his shield in front of him. The Firepower goons literally had a defenseless Iron Man at gunpoint and fired, and Tony was still able to react in time with his force-field.

Durability

Next up, we'll progress on to the armor’s base durability (i.e. without the use of force-fields). As we’ve already seen from the Speed section, Ultimate Iron Man is at the bare minimum, bulletproof. Stark’s Handbook entry also ranks the Iron Tech armor’s durability at Rank 6 – the same range as the aforementioned Ultimate Hulk.

The first thing to point out is that the armor is remarkably durable. It takes a lot of force to even penetrate the external shell of the Iron Tech suit. Case in point: here Ultimate Iron Man takes a direct punch to the chest from Ultimate Hulk (1st page, final panel):

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2

We see that punch is so powerful, it literally lifts Tony off the ground. Yet a moment later, we also see that there’s no discernible damage on the armor’s exterior (2nd page). It’s not crumpled, or dented, and Tony himself is perfectly fine. Taking into account Ultimate Hulk’s strength level, it’s a pretty darn good showing of the suit’s resilience.

And here’s another one: in this next set of scans, Ultimate Black Widow tackles Ultimate Thor in midair. The two collide headfirst into a forest:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

For the uninformed, Ultimate Black Widow wears a suit of armor that Tony built for her. In terms of physical capabilities – it’s essentially the same as Iron Man’s (the Ultimate Marvel Handbook and feats confirm this), so this showing can also be applied to Tony.

These two scans are very notable because Widow and Thor fell at accelerated speeds from hundreds of feet in the air. Then the two collided headfirst into a forest – and you can see the sheer size of their landing was massive. The impact was powerful enough to create a giant explosion, and it basically leveled the entire forest that they crashed in. Yet Widow is perfectly unfazed by the fall.

And since Nova is a predominantly energy-user, I’ve also gathered the following feats to showcase the Iron Tech armor’s resistance to energy-based attacks. This is to illustrate that even if Nova were to catch Iron Man without his force-fields on (which is highly unlikely in the first place), the armor can still take some serious damage:

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3
  1. Iron Man is able to tank multiple point-blank lasers from Ultimate Dreadknight. Dreadknight’s armor was built from data that came directly from Iron Man’s database. He was powerful enough to match blows with Ultimate Iron Man, being at roughly the same power-level.
  2. Iron Man tanks an energy blast from an amped Doombot. This same Doombot was able to shortly knock Ultimate Thing out with its blasts. Tony’s armor is afterwards seen to be unharmed and operational.
  3. Iron Man tanks a lightning blast from an angry Ultimate Thor – the attack is so powerful that it’s able to force everyone holding Thor down to lose their grip (this includes other 100+ tonners like Widow, and the European Super-Soldiers).

A final note about Ultimate Iron Man’s durability: the Iron Tech armor also comes with shock-absorbing gel (stored in the armor’s back, as shown in the scan below):

No Caption Provided

This green gel floods the armor’s inside, and protects Tony’s body from harm, acting as an added layer of insulation. When Iron Man gets hit, the armor’s exterior is durable enough to tank the blow, but it’s this gel that shields Tony’s body from harm. And when Iron Man flies, it’s also presumably this gel that enables his body to endure the rigorous G-forces and speeds.

In short, Iron Man has three layers of defense: his force-field, then his armor, then the gel.

Weaponry

To cap this post off, we’ll cover Ultimate Iron Man’s arsenal of weapons and gear. Here are just a few of the standard ordnance that the Iron Tech armor comes with:

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5Gallery image 6

1.Chaff: If enemies are trailing behind him in-flight, Iron Man can release chaff to intercept enemy attacks.

2.Micromunitions: Iron Man can release hundreds of these from his shoulder pads – they work in the same way as the chaff by exploding trailing targets.

3.Mini-Rocket: The explosive warhead’s about the size of your palm – and yet it packs enough power to destroy an entire tower with a single hit, something that generally takes artillery to accomplish.

4.Arm Lasers: Mounted on both arms: capable of blowing up Chitauri airships.

5.Repulsors: Most impressive are these – unlike 616-Iron Man’s repulsors, these aren’t kinetic blasts meant to wound. These are energy attacks meant to kill. In this scan, Tony is wearing a weaker version of the repulsor. And it’s still able to instantly vaporize five walls and a human being in its path.

Lastly, we’ll end with what is arguably Ultimate Iron Man’s greatest asset – his force-field. This will be the first line of defense that Nova has to penetrate, and quite frankly, Sam will have a hard time against Tony’s force-field. Why? Because it can tank a nuke:

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3
Hell. Yeah.
Hell. Yeah.

In the Ultimates 1, the Chitauri lured the Ultimates to an island and set off a megaton bomb. The nuclear bomb wiped out an entire Micronesian island, an entire fleet of Helicarriers, 20,000 soldiers, and everything inside its 100-mile radius. All of these numbers can be verified in Issue 11 itself.

And Ultimate Iron Man’s force-field was able to shield the Ultimates and a group of soldiers, even when they were in the heart of the explosion.

What makes the feat even more impressive is that Tony had to enlarge the field to accommodate not just himself, but the Ultimates and the other soldiers. The issue states that his force-field had a 500 meter radius. And it was still able to sustain the force of the bomb.

To further nail home the point: this barely even drained the suit’s power, as Iron Man was still capable of participating in the subsequent battle against the Chitauri!

So considering the a) amount of energy that the force-field can sustain, b) the area that the field can extend until, c) the length of time it can endure, and d) the fact that the field barely uses up any energy? Nova is going to have a hell of a difficult time circumventing Ultimate Iron Man’s force-field, and the effectiveness of Sam’s attacks will be be severely limited if he can’t even get past Tony’s first line of defense.

#12 Posted by Lvenger (36109 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like I've got a new CAV I'm going to be keeping an eye on. Just that first post is enough to make me want to see more. And even though I'm not a fan of Sam Alexander, I'm curious as to what he can do since Richard Rider vs Ultimate Iron Man would be unfair indeed. This should be a good debate indeed.

#13 Edited by dondave (41743 posts) - - Show Bio

Really?

#14 Posted by Veshark (10440 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger Aw shucks, thanks man. Yeah, I don't know much about Sam, but we'll see how it goes. And you and me - we've gotta do a CaV one of these days.

@dondave ....What?

#15 Posted by dondave (41743 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark I'm just surprised at New World Order's choice; Sam is practically featless.

#16 Posted by Veshark (10440 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave said:

@veshark I'm just surprised at New World Order's choice; Sam is practically featless.

Doesn't he have like 14 issues already? I'm sure there's something there...NewWorldOrder seemed pretty confident that Sam could take on Iron Man.

Avatar image for SuperStar_sketcher
#17 Posted by SuperStar_sketcher (1697 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

@dondave said:

Doesn't he have like 14 issues already? I'm sure there's something there...NewWorldOrder seemed pretty confident that Sam could take on Iron Man.

seconded

#18 Posted by dondave (41743 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark He does but most of his showings are meh.

#19 Edited by Lvenger (36109 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave said:

Richard Rider wouldn't exactly be a fairer choice would he? Still I can see where you're coming from but Sam has over a dozen issues already so there's something to be working with at least.

#20 Posted by Iragexcudder (9461 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: Sam did stand with BRB for a decent while..

#21 Posted by dondave (41743 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger Nova Centurion Richard would be an acceptable choice.

#22 Posted by dondave (41743 posts) - - Show Bio

@iragexcudder That's his best feat and it's not like he actually beat BRB

#23 Posted by Iragexcudder (9461 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave: yeah I know but it was definitely an awesome moment lol

#24 Posted by jashro44 (50806 posts) - - Show Bio
#25 Posted by SMXLR8 (6457 posts) - - Show Bio

Tag me for votes

#26 Posted by SMXLR8 (6457 posts) - - Show Bio

BUMP

#27 Posted by Veshark (10440 posts) - - Show Bio

@smxlr8 said:

BUMP

I'm waiting on NWO's response, he hasn't logged on in a couple of days.

#28 Posted by SMXLR8 (6457 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Posted by Iragexcudder (9461 posts) - - Show Bio
No Caption Provided

#30 Posted by SMXLR8 (6457 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Posted by dondave (41743 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm guessing this CAV isn't going to happen...

#32 Posted by Iragexcudder (9461 posts) - - Show Bio

@smxlr8: saw it an fell in love with it lol so damn awesome

@new_world_order meow

#33 Edited by SMXLR8 (6457 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Posted by Veshark (10440 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave said:

I'm guessing this CAV isn't going to happen...

Sigh...I seem to have really bad luck with CaVs. Half the time my opponents just up and leave the debate.

NWO hasn't even been online since the day I made this post :(

#35 Edited by SMXLR8 (6457 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: I hope you redo this CAV with the same characters but someones else defends Nova

#36 Posted by WarBlade539 (6217 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger said:

Looks like I've got a new CAV I'm going to be keeping an eye on. Just that first post is enough to make me want to see more. And even though I'm not a fan of Sam Alexander, I'm curious as to what he can do since Richard Rider vs Ultimate Iron Man would be unfair indeed. This should be a good debate indeed.

That's what I first thought when I saw this thread. I was shocked, to say the least.

#37 Posted by Veshark (10440 posts) - - Show Bio

@smxlr8 said:

@veshark: I hope you redo this CAV with the same characters but someones else defends Nova

I hope NWO answers soon, this is already my second Ultimate IM debate...

#38 Edited by ComicStooge (22062 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

@smxlr8 said:

I hope NWO answers soon, this is already my second Ultimate IM debate...

Sorry I messed up the first one, man.

If you get the free time, would you like to do a Hawkeye vs Moon Knight debate?

#39 Posted by Veshark (10440 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicstooge

No Caption Provided

Yeah, when I find the time we should definitely go another round. I'm more keen for a mid or high tier debate with you though, I'm interested in expanding my debating circle, so to speak. I know you can whip up a mean high tier CaV.

#40 Posted by ComicStooge (22062 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

@comicstooge

No Caption Provided

Yeah, when I find the time we should definitely go another round. I'm more keen for a mid or high tier debate with you though, I'm interested in expanding my debating circle, so to speak. I know you can whip up a mean high tier CaV.

I have a character or two I'm interested to use, as a matter of fact.

#41 Edited by Veshark (10440 posts) - - Show Bio

@comicstooge Cool beans. I'll send a PM your way when I find the time, CS. We can work something out then.

#42 Posted by ComicStooge (22062 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

@comicstooge Cool beans. I'll send a PM your way when I find the time, CS. We can work something out then.

Cool, cool.

#43 Posted by Wolverine008 (51027 posts) - - Show Bio

Hope this gets off the ground.

#44 Edited by Lvenger (36109 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08 said:

Hope this gets off the ground.

Me too. This looked like a good debate.

Also @veshark I know I've been putting off the CAV you wanted to have with me and I probably won't be available until May for any more CAVs. Apologies again, it's just uni constraints keeping me down. After that though, I'll definitely fulfill that bargain along with other promised debates I've put off with others :P You wanted a street level or mid tier right?

#45 Posted by Veshark (10440 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger Nah, it's no problem at all, man. I'm swamped with job work right now myself, so I know what you mean. But yeah, I definitely wanna do a mid-tier debate with you some time soon. You're one of those Battle board veterans that I haven't got the chance to debate against yet ;)

#46 Posted by Lvenger (36109 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: Likewise with you, it should be an interesting debate once we compare our own mid tier specialities.

#47 Posted by Iragexcudder (9461 posts) - - Show Bio

Kinda bummed this didn't happen

#48 Posted by Veshark (10440 posts) - - Show Bio
#50 Posted by New_World_Order (14895 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

@New_World_Order Hey NWO, you said you're interested in picking this up again?

I'll get to it, just not right now.