Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
#1 Posted by thatguywithheadphones (19859 posts) - - Show Bio

In the Red corner we have the fire team of . . .

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3

Zuko, Mako, and Azula as represented by @thatguywithheadphones

vs.

The Green corner we have the Earthbending team of . . .

Bolin, Lin, and Su Yin as repersemted by @juiceboks

Conditions and Location

In character

Perfect teamwork

Fight to K.O

The fights is at the Super-Weapon testing facility.

#2 Edited by thatguywithheadphones (19859 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Posted by kyrees (13371 posts) - - Show Bio

hmmm.........

#4 Posted by juiceboks (24547 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks good my man, do you wanna start off?

#5 Posted by thatguywithheadphones (19859 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks good my man, do you wanna start off?

Sure.

#6 Posted by thatguywithheadphones (19859 posts) - - Show Bio

@juiceboks:

I'm going to skip introducing my characters, since you know very well who they are, and plenty of the future voters know as well. Instead I'll ask a simple question

Why do my characters win?

In my opinion, what makes an Earthbender such an immense threat is the sheer overwhelming size of his bending power and control of the battlefield . Even the most novice Earthbenders are able to use an almost obscene amount of Earth for both offense an defense . . . your character kinda sacrificed that for more speed and mobility. This brings me to my first point:

• Fast Fire

In general, I feel that firebending is almost the perfect foil for earth due to it's "spammability". You see Earthbending relies on maintaining stances, and this is hard to do against a firebender due to them being able to unleash a constant onslaught of fire balls at the target which make stances, basically just standing there, difficult to do. While your characters do sacrifice power(stances) for fluidity, especially Su Yin, stances are still pretty prevalent in their styles.

Loading Video...

While in defense both Su-Yin and Lin showcased some impressive mobility and speed, once it became time for offense, notice how the heavy and slow stomps are enacted in order to lift the earth or metal that was about to be used(see specifically: 0:16, 0:38, 0:51, and 1:00) Now while these occurrence are small, they still will provide my team with windows to attack, because, with firebending,every punch, kick, or slice is offensive.

• You Character's Style

In lieu of the traditional large scale type Earthbending, your characters primarily rely on a projectile style Earthbending, which my characters should be able to avoid for the most part. Zuko has shown that he's is able to comfortably avoid this type of offensive.

Loading Video...

!:25 - From a skills point of view, obviously this random mook isn't at your characters skill level, but from a visual point of view, there doesn't really seems like there's much of a speed difference, and remeber this is just season 1 Zuko.

Azula has shown to be able avoid the combine effort Toph and Aang,

Loading Video...

Now obviously she had help, but their were times where she was able to avoid each of her aggressors.The base case of this is 1:38 (where she was able to react to Toph ground type bending) and 1:58 to 2:05 where she was able to casually evade Aang wide spread attacks, even doing so with her back turned to him.

As for Mako, that is his primary means of defense and he's pretty great at it.

Loading Video...

Watch from 2:20

Basically my team's offense will be focusing primarily on pressure to limit the effectiveness of your team offense. This will accomplished thanks to the tenacity of their bending. Because of firebenders lack of defense they'll mainly just use their ability and or bob & weave to avoid your Earthbender's attacks.

#7 Posted by Killerwasp (17202 posts) - - Show Bio

Tag for votes!

#8 Posted by Etheral_Dreams (6116 posts) - - Show Bio

T4V.

Avatar image for justicethorpsylocke
#9 Posted by justicethorpsylocke (3035 posts) - - Show Bio

Tag me pls

#10 Posted by juiceboks (24547 posts) - - Show Bio

@thatguywithheadphones

Alright let's get this ball rolling. We'll start with your comments on earthbending in general.

In my opinion, what makes an Earthbender such an immense threat is the sheer overwhelming size of his bending power and control of the battlefield . Even the most novice Earthbenders are able to use an almost obscene amount of Earth for both offense an defense . . . your character kinda sacrificed that for more speed and mobility.

While Lin and Suyin aren't as powerful as say their mother whom Zuko and Azula are more familiar with, their unique style of bending relative to any earthbender they've come in contact with makes for a different and rather interesting matchup. Zuko and Azula are more agile than the traditional earthbenders of their day, but against two master level metalbenders that advantage is practically nullified. In fact, metalbending in general is gonna throw them for a loop once Lin and Suyin dish it out in spades. Both of them are extremely skilled at using the metal environment around them to bolster their defenses..

Lin And Suyin & Toph VS Kuvira: Full Fight [HD]

Mako & Bolin And Suyin & Lin VS Kuvira's Guards: Full Fight [HD]

..and throw off their opponent when they least expect it

.Team Avatar vs Red Lotus

Su, Lin and Toph vs. Kuvira | Full Fight

These are the trademarks of master metalbenders. Lin and Suyin are gonna be far from the generally stationary earthbending targets Zuko and Azula are used to fighting. They'll be jumping and launching themselves around the battlefield just as much as them two, manipulating it to their liking to subdue your team.

While your characters do sacrifice power(stances) for fluidity, especially Su Yin, stances are still pretty prevalent in their styles.

I don't think citing a fight where neither of the sister's were operating to their fullest extents to judge their combat styles is very fair. Not only was Lin seriously ill and Suyin obviously holding back against her sister, they didn't have their respective metalbending gear. Lin especially relies heavily on her cables and armor through her bending style. Earthbending might require strong stances and less than fluid movements, but metalbending is the exact opposite. Both sisters will actually be more mobile than Azula and Zuko, so your Fast Fire strategy isn't gonna be as effective when they're not taking potshots at slow benders. Metalbending is what these two do best, and in this environment they'd be idiots not to utilize it and all the advantages that it comes with.

In lieu of the traditional large scale type Earthbending, your characters primarily rely on a projectile style Earthbending, which my characters should be able to avoid for the most part. Zuko has shown that he's is able to comfortably avoid this type of offensive.

I'd be lying if I said neither sister utilizes projectiles in their bending, but comparing them to no name earth soldiers even to the extent you are isn't very fair. Lin and Suyin's earthbending extends well past projectiles. Lin especially uses AoE attacks fairly regularly.

Lin & Jinora, Ikki, Meelo VS Lieutenant & Equalist Forces :Full Fight [HD]

And Suyin is more prone to metalbending than simple Earthbending anyway. Zuko and Azula are adept at dodging large projectiles, but what about smaller, faster, and more maneuverable metal cables? Lin's favored use in ragdolling her opponents.

Lin & Jinora, Ikki, Meelo VS Lieutenant & Equalist Forces :Full Fight [HD]

These and other types of metal would be well suited to restricting the mobile benders on your team, and Azula especially has shown to be pretty useless when she's rendered inert as Katara has demonstrated.

Avatar - The Last Airbender - Aang and Katara vs Zuko and Azula ( Fight Scene )

Lin could easily substitute Katara's water whips for her faster and more readily accessible cables.

Azula has shown to be able avoid the combine effort Toph and Aang

Like you said, she had help from the Dai-Li and probably wouldn't have been able to evade for as long as she did without them. However, with that said this still isn't very comparable to avoiding Lin and Suyin. Toph for one isn't exactly a speedy character, she has decent reaction time given her seismic sense(which her daughters just so happened to inherit) but she's still nowhere near as fast as they are. Lin and Suyin would be propelling themselves and swinging around the chamber to keep ahead of her, while at the same time using the metal around them to pin her down. That's their speciality, not Aang or Toph's. Also important to note Aang and Toph never actually combined their efforts to subdue her. While Aang was trying to blast her with air, Toph was dealing with the Dai-Li. Azula essentially them on a one-on-one basis. That's not gonna be the case here, as the sisters will be working in tandem to take her and her brother down.

Now I'd like to take a little time to go over my team's trump card. The MVP of this matchup..the one the only Bo man himself..

..and possibly the most unique form of bending in the entire ATLA/LoK lore..

Lavabending!!

This is undoubtedly the greatest advantage my team has over yours. If Lin and Suyin using the surrounding metal to limit your team's mobility wasn't enough..Bolin literally making the ground around them lethal will certainly keep them on the backfoot. He'll of course be using the lava to keep your team dodging and searching for safe ground, constantly pressuring them to keep moving wherever he decides by limiting their options for cover.

Bolin & Prisioneers vs Earth Empire Forces: Full Fight [HD]

Not only will Azula and Zuko be caught off guard by a bending style they likely have never even heard of, but this will only add to their confusion from having to deal with constantly being wary of the metal around them. Mako's familiarity will only help him so much, as he's never actually had to fight against master metal or lavabenders aside from a brief confrontation against Ghazan with her brother's help. He'll be scrambling to gain footing just as much as they will.

To Conclude..

Your team's mobility is rendered almost irrelevant against the bending styles of my team. They're earthbenders like none most of your members have come in contact with, and will spend a good deal of the match just figuring out how to achieve an opportunity to go on the offensive without leaving themselves open to getting melted or tied up with metal. My team will literally be controlling the battlefield to work for them, which makes the more powerful offensive techniques of your team's firebending that require time to utilize outright impossible to bring up safely. They'll be forced to use quick and less powerful fire blasts, which won't be enough to get past my team's earth defenses. Your firebending team may have raw power going for them, but it's not enough when literally everything around them can and will be turned into deadly weapons.

#11 Posted by Arcus1 (27545 posts) - - Show Bio

Why didn't this continue?