CaV: Gon Freecss (Defiant_will) vs Jirou Azuma (Maestromage)

maestromage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By maestromage

Challenge-a-Viner

No Caption Provided

Rules and Stipulations:

• Morals on and in character
  • Random encounter
  • Standard Gear
  • Jirou is EoS, Gon has his Nen but it not in his Adult form
  • Win by KO, Death or Incapacitation

CAV Rules

• This is a CAV so don't comment on who you think wins the fight or anything like that
  • At the end of the debate, vote for who you think made the better arguments, not which character you think wins
  • Give reasons for why you think they debated better
  • If you want to be tagged when the debate is over, just say "Tag for votes" (or T4V).

The battle takes place in an abandoned city with the fighters 20ft away from each other

No Caption Provided

Mass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This looks like it will be good. T4V please

maestromage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jirou Azuma

No Caption Provided

Part I - An Introduction to Black Torch

Before we get into the feats, there are a few things I need to explain about the series.

Jirou is the main character of the manga "Black Torch" and is a member of a squad of the same name in the Public Bureau of Espionage. The Bureau is an organisation founded hundreds of years ago as Shinobi by the Shogun. In more recent years they mainly deal with human issues but their raison d'être was dealing with Mononoke.

Mononoke are spiritual beings who often take the form of humans to live in cities (and were mountain gods and such in previous times). The big reason for their conflict with humans is that the only way for them to become more powerful is to consume humans.

Chapter 9: Special Force
Chapter 9: Special Force

The main significance of Mononoke in this post is that the source of Jirou's power is, in fact, a Mononoke known as Rago.

No Caption Provided

Rago is a Mononoke who takes the form of a cat and is the only Mononoke with the ability to increase their power without eating. Due to various events, he ends up possessing Jirou similar to how Kurama is sealed inside Naruto- with a few key differences. Rago is still able to visibly manifest him around Jirou to talk with people, and more importantly, Rago is the one who has most of the control over his power. Jirou has control of his body and directs how they fight but Rago takes care of actually controlling the power itself as he is naturally far more experienced than Jirou is and is capable of a lot more.

The way they use this power generally consists of creating black constructs (often fists), energy blasts or surrounding Jirou in the power to increase his physical stats.

No Caption Provided

It's also worth noting that Rago can act independently of Jirou, though this only occasionally happens when he wants/need to block an attack as he did against Jirou's grandfather.

With that said, let's delve into what Jirou can really do.

Part II - The Shinobi

No Caption Provided

Being descended from and raised by Shinobi, Jirou gains several advantages over a normal human even at the beginning of the series. His particular family line is gifted with enhanced athleticism and the ability to speak with animals, both of which are things Jirou is noted to have inherited particularly strongly.

We see this from chapter one before he even acquires Rago's powers as he manages to catch up with a superhuman Mononoke who was attacking Rago and even tags him before he transforms (ordered right to left to maintain the original panel flow).

Chapter 1: The Future Is in Our Hands

I've cut out some pages that happened in-between, but essentially the Mononoke runs off after Rago, catches him, and after exchanging a few words they attack by which point Jirou had gone back inside, grabbed his sword, run after them and then intercepts the attack.

The main way his Shinobi heritage helps him in this fight, however, is in improving his combat ability. One technique he developed because of this is his Cicada Shell:

This technique is essentially a Naruto style substitution that allows him to avoid an attack by losing a piece of clothing he's wearing. It has limited uses because of this but it's worth noting that he's used his shell to avoid attacks from people much faster than him:

This is also a decent endurance feat for Jirou as he still manages to swing his sword immediately after having a huge hole punched in his chest, which the Mononoke notes as impressive an attributes to him being a Shinobi.

Aside from his Cicada Shell, Jirou has also shown himself to be fairly analytical of his opponents in fights, and he uses this to his advantage.

Chapter 4: Two Is Not Enough
Chapter 4: Two Is Not Enough

In his sparring match against Reiji, he uses his first attack to figure out Reiji's range, so that on his second attack he could predict his swing, break his wooden sword and land a free hit. This feat is demonstrative of Jirou's analytical ability in even unimportant fights and shows how he can take small amounts of information and use it to his advantage.

The last thing to talk about here is his gear. As a member of the Bureau's Black Torch squad, Jirou comes equipped with their Covert Operations Gear.

Chapter 5: Testimony

This suit is resistant to a variety of things, from heat to bullets, but most importantly it has artificial muscle fibres to increase combat ability. Essentially it amps the physical stats of the user by a notable amount. For Jirou, however, there is a downside. Due to the gear's aura negating capabilities, it weakens how much of Ragou's power he can use and ends up being more of a nerf than an amp. This won't pose much of an issue here, however, as the gear is frequently destroyed by powerful opponents. Having said that, it's durability is hardly insignificant as it allowed him to tank a punch from Kouga with no problem.

Chapter 6: Young Gunz
Chapter 6: Young Gunz

This same Kouga is capable of ragdolling cars with his hits.

Stats aside, the suit does also have some camouflage abilities, but these aren't made for use in combat, and the only time Jirou has used them in combat was to make a point. I'm sure you're probably thinking that the Operations Gear is basically useless, and you're not completely wrong, but you're not entirely right either. Though it limits Jirou's power, it essentially gives Jirou a free hit to see how powerful his opponent is, as in all the instances it's been one-shotted Jirou has been unscathed. Additionally, it gives Jirou an extra item of clothing to use Cicada shell with. In essence, Jirou's OG should allow him to get an insight on how powerful Gon is without taking any damage himself (and if he needs to he can just take it off, he is more than aware of the drawbacks).

Part III - A Mononoke's Power

No Caption Provided

At last, we arrive at what's probably the core part of this debate; power. Perhaps not power in the traditional sense but I'll be covering all of Jirou's stats in this section as Black Torch is a short series and there isn't a huge amount to show off.

Let's start with speed. Black Torch as a series consistently goes out of its way to portray its' characters as fast, and as previously mentioned Jirou was no slouch speed-wise even at the beginning of the series. With his partnership with Rago, his speed only increases as we see him dodging multiple attacks from the Mononoke who had just blitzed him. Jirou gets a more quantifiable feat when he fights against his Grandfather:

Chapter 2: The Choice Is Yours
Chapter 2: The Choice Is Yours

In this feat, Jirou's grandfather runs at him fast enough with enough speed to visibly and audibly break the sound barrier, and Jirou is blatantly able to react to this speed and even matches the punch with his headbutt. At this point I'd like to point out that Jirou was explicitly trying not to use Ragou's power as he wanted to stand up to his grandfather on his own, meaning that even an early Jirou without relying on Ragou should be around mach 1/supersonic.

This is consistent with other feats early in the series, as seen in Ichika's (Jirou's teammate) fight against two Mononoke

Chapter 3: What's My Name?
Chapter 3: What's My Name?

As Ichika battles against two Mononoke, she manoeuvres herself midair to avoid a punch which also breaks the sound barrier. What's even more impressive is that it was the slower of the two Mononoke who broke the sound barrier and Ichika was keeping up with the faster one. This speed also makes sense with the portrayal of Ichika's strategy here given that she opts to use her sword over her gun after seeing that it's ineffective (too weak to harm the big one and presumably too slow to tag the fast one). Jirou himself didn't fight the faster one unfortunately but he did easily dodge punches from the big one (once whilst suppressed), and this was still a very early Jirou who could neither use Ragou's power properly nor had access to his Operations Gear which amps his stats.

The gap between these early speed feats and Jirou's speed later is made very clear through his early interactions with higher tier characters like Kouga:

When Kouga first appeared in the series, the first thing he does is casually FTE blitz Jirou and Reiji, clearly displaying the gap in speed between those two and stronger characters in the verse. They then turn on their Espionage Gear but it doesn't make much of a difference as Kouga shows that he's still on a different level speed wise. By the end of the series, Jirou becomes significantly more capable and can fight people like Amagi who Kouga didn't stand a chance against.

In short, Jirou by the end of the series is easily capable of hanging with people who can FTE blitz low-supersonic characters, which should be enough to keep up with Gon from what I know of him.

Towards the latter half of the series, Ragou is captured but manages to leave Jirou with all of his power. Jirou initially struggles to control his power at all and lashes out randomly with it.

Chapter 13: One

In his brief fight with Inu, Jirou blows through his suit into a single hit despite said suit being able to withstand bazooka hits. This isn't hugely impressive but it shows a solid for Ragou's baseline power. Jirou accomplishes a much more impressive feat later in the same fight:

Here Jirou unleashes an energy blast at Inu that goes higher than part of the mountain that they were fighting next to. A blast that size would easily be at least large building level, which is an impressive feat given that this was Jirou just wildly lashing out and it demonstrates what can be accomplished with Ragou's power.

That said, the majority of his more impressive feats come from his fight against Amagi at the end of the series.

Chapter 18: Black or White

After learning to control Ragou's power to the point where he can fight with it for 15 minutes, Jirou goes to fight Amagi, and the result is something to behold. With a single punch, Jirou creates a massive shockwave noticeably larger than the building in the background of their fight, both in length and especially in height. What's even more impressive is the fact that Amagi tanked this punch with no problems and Jirou went on to have an extended fight with him and eventually (after getting Ragou back) beats him.

The feats I've shown should show that Jirou possesses both the speed and the power to throw down with Gon, and he won't hesitate to use them given how little if at all he holds back in fights.

Initial Thoughts

My cards have been shown, the table is set. I don't intend to make any claims on what advantages Jirou has in this fight as I don't know how my opponent intends to argue Gon, but I'm confident that Jirou has what it takes to come out of this fight a winner.

No Caption Provided

maestromage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

defiant_will

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By defiant_will

Opener | The Wrath of Youth

"If you want to get to know someone, find out what makes them angry.”

When I look back at the series, Hunter X Hunter's seamless transition in tone is something to marvel at. Starting off as a typical Shounen-esque series with several tropes of the genre and concluding with a darker aesthetic and grim commentary on the human condition, Hunter X Hunter really sets itself apart from most of its peers. The main character, Gon Freecs, is perhaps the best example of this gradual, yet significant change in thematic approach. An optimistic and compassionate young boy turned to a a cold blooded and apathetic killer.

Going into this debate, I really want to emphasize this transition in character for the character of Gon Freecs as I think it is an important point of consideration. Many of the feats I will show for Gon are from when he was still that optimistic and compassionate young boy that we knew and loved. But this is Chimera Ant Arc Gon, who is the cold blooded killer that we grew to fear. He doesn't show moral restraint. In fact, at the beginning of the arc, Kite made a point out of teaching Gon to go for the kill and not hold back, and by the end of the arc, we see this in full force when Gon slaughters Neferpitou. The rules say in character, and killing his opponents is pretty in character for Chimera Ant Arc Gon. You may say that Gon would act differently against a human, but not only does Jirou have a less than human appearance when he uses his full power, but Gon was also willing to kill Komugi, an innocent and wounded young girl, to get to Pitou. If that's not enough to prove that Gon is willing to kill in this fight, then I don't know what is.

Now obviously mentality isn't all there is to a fight, but I thought it was important to note as it means that Gon won't be holding back in the slightest. And when you pair that mentality with Gon's impressive physicals, battle ingenuity, and Nen abilities, I think it may be a little too much for Jirou. So with all of that, said let's get right into this. Here is a theme for aesthetic before we begin.

A Swift End

Before I dive deeper into this section, I want to take note of this excerpt from my opponent's opener:

This suit is resistant to a variety of things, from heat to bullets, but most importantly it has artificial muscle fibres to increase combat ability. Essentially it amps the physical stats of the user by a notable amount. For Jirou, however, there is a downside. Due to the gear's aura negating capabilities, it weakens how much of Ragou's power he can use and ends up being more of a nerf than an amp.

This is a pretty significant disadvantage for Jirou as it means that he won't be able to access his full power from jump, in stark contrast to the version of Gon I am using here. You try to downplay this point with the following argument:

This won't pose much of an issue here, however, as the gear is frequently destroyed by powerful opponents. Having said that, it's durability is hardly insignificant as it allowed him to tank a punch from Kouga with no problem.

... which doesn't really help your case, at all. What if Gon were to tag the nerfed Jirou in the face? You didn't show any durability feats for Jirou independent of this gear, so this outcome becomes even more likely. The only durability feat you showed was Jirou tanking a hit from Kouga, whose striking strength is tiers below Gon's.

I mean, you showed Kouga hitting a car a dozen or so feet in the air. Meanwhile, Heavens Arena Gon could push a built fighter twice his size dozens of feet away, destroying a wall in the process.

Right to Left
Right to Left

I am not asserting that a this fighter weighs as much as a car. However the context of the two feats evens it out. For one, Gon's feat was performed with the upmost casualty, effortlessly pushing away his opponent. Kouga's feat was nowhere near as casual. Another thing to consider is that Gon pushed his opponent way farther than Kouga did with hitting away the car. Oh, and the most important thing to note was that this was Gon... without Nen. You know, life energy that can be used to amp your physicals across the board by a significant degree? I think that the aforementioned feat from a far weaker version of Gon is somewhat comparable to the feat performed by Kouga when taking distance and level of effort put into the feat into account.

But, as I already said, that's FAR from Gon's best in terms of strength. And Gon is a beast in that regard. I am not going to pull any punches with this opener, so let me provide one of Gon's best feats (barring Jajanken). When fighting against two enemy Chimera Ants, Gon swings a tree with enough force to create a building sized shockwave. This shockwave was potent enough to send a bat Chimera Ant through solid rock.

No Caption Provided

In case it wasn't obvious, the shockwave was large enough to reach all the way up to the flying Bat Chimera Ant. Based on the last two scans (again right to left) and her consistently high aerial positioning throughout the fight, this bat was a building's worth of height over Gon, at least.

Now I know you may say that Gon may have aimed the shockwave at the bat, and therefore it doesn't necessarily have to be building sized in height. However take a look at this specific panel from the last scan:

No Caption Provided

The way the gust was drawn, in addition to the arrow behind the Bat Chimera Ant proves that Gon didn't aim the shockwave at just the bat. If Gon did aim it at the bat, considering his positioning relative to the bat, the gust would've hit the Bat at a diagonal angle and as such the Bat would have collided with the cliff at a diagonal angle. However, the gust is shown to hit the Bat head on and the arrow behind the Bat shows that she would've been sent flying backward horizontally. So yeah, basic reasoning cements in stone that Gon created a building sized shockwave with a tree.

What is so impressive about this? Well the shockwave alone could destroy rock without even touching the cliffside. A building sized shockwave with rock shattering potency would decimate a building. And Gon accomplished this by swinging around a tree. It isn't exactly striking strength, but it still shows the level of power he is operating at.

So essentially, ragdolling cars isn't enough to tank blows from the building level Gon. If Gon punches Jirou in his unprotected face rather than punching his armor (I dare you to argue Gon is dumb enough to not aim for the face when his opponent is wearing gear protecting his torso), then based on what I've been shown, that should end the fight right there before Jirou can retaliate.

But, it only gets worst for Jirou. Gon can also end the fight by charging at him with a Jajanken. In the same fight with the two Chimera Ants, Gon finished the Owl Chimera Ant off by blitzing over to him while charging his Jajanken and hitting him all the way to NGL.

No Caption Provided

Let me break down why this is a good feat. The whole arc takes place in the Mitene Union, with Gon and company scatted all over East Goruto. This is where Gon was located three chapters after the fight, or in other words, his rough location on the map.

No Caption Provided

And this is the distance between East Goruto and NGL:

No Caption Provided

It is literally a cross country distance. Gon sent that Chimera Ant flying multiple countries over, which is doubly impressive considering the size of the Owl. Another thing to consider is that Gon sent this Owl flying beyond the horizon in seconds, consistent with the anime depiction of this fight.

If you want me to put this into perspective, the only durability feat you've shown for Jirou with his gear is tanking a hit from someone who can ragdoll a car a dozen or so feet into the air. Gon's Jajanken can hit a large Owl Chimera Ant COUNTRIES away. Let that sink in. If Jirou takes a punch like this to the face, while his stats are nerfed no less, the fight ends right there from what has been presented.

To sum up, Gon can oneshot a nerfed Jirou with his raw strength or Jajanken if he lands a hit, especially if he tags him in the face. So now I have to prove Gon has a definitive speed advantage. And that should be pretty easy to be honest. You said this about Jirou's speed without his gear on:

In short, Jirou by the end of the series is easily capable of hanging with people who can FTE blitz low-supersonic characters, which should be enough to keep up with Gon from what I know of him.

Meaning that at his strongest, he is fast enough to FTE blitz low-supersonic characters. That... isn't impressive compared to Gon. Heavens Arena and Yorknew Arc Killua, with a bare bones understanding of Nen, was able to move at supersonic speeds consistently (1,2).

However, in Greed Island, Killua was scratched in the cheek by a severely wounded Binolt after his failed attempt to blitz. Killua even notes that if Binolt was all full strength, he would have lost his eye.

No Caption Provided

And yet, after Binolt has a full day's rest, Gon can easily dodge Binolt's scissor swings and keep up with him. Essentially, Gon vastly outperformed a consistently supersonic character against Binolt.

No Caption Provided

That is a solid baseline for Gon, but not his best. He is consistently portrayed to be Killua's equal in Greed Island and in the Chimera Ant Arc. So I think that Gon should scale to base Killua's speed. You know, the same Killua who can react to explosions despite being blindsided in mid air and can evade sniper bullets that cross several KMs in seconds from 57 centimeters away.

On the topic of Gon and Killua's portrayal, the series presents both of their base forms as equals. They were able to spar evenly during Bisky's training, they were both able to outspeed Binolt, and they were both able to keep up with Kite in speed. The best example of Gon and Killua being portrayed as equals is when Gon and Killua simultaneously changed direction in order to dodge Youpi's attack. If one was faster than the other, especially by a significant amount, they wouldn't be able to react, move, and dodge AT THE SAME TIME.

No Caption Provided

So all in all, being relative to base Killua in speed puts Gon in the hypersonic ranges of speed, which is far above where you are arguing a FULL POWER JIROU. A nerfed Jirou should be even slower, cementing in stone that Gon is more than capable of blitzing him.

On the whole, I am going to argue that Gon blitzes and oneshots for now. Until I see a reason why Jirou gets past Gon's initial attack while nerfed, I won't address Jirou's better feats at full power. Towards the beginning of the Chimera Ant Arc, Kite taught Gon this:

No Caption Provided

And I think that this fight will see Gon putting that approach into practice. Whether it be a regular punch or a full power Jajanken, Gon will end the fight before it even starts.

defiant_will

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

maestromage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rebuttals - Jirou Azuma

No Caption Provided

Counters I - The Opening Rumble

No Caption Provided

My opponent's core argument currently is that Gon will blitz and one-shot Jirou due to his Operations Gear limiting him at the beginning of the fight. However, there are several issues with this argument as I will go on to demonstrate.

What if Gon were to tag the nerfed Jirou in the face? You didn't show any durability feats for Jirou independent of this gear, so this outcome becomes even more likely. The only durability feat you showed was Jirou tanking a hit from Kouga, whose striking strength is tiers below Gon's.

If Gon punches Jirou in his unprotected face rather than punching his armor (I dare you to argue Gon is dumb enough to not aim for the face when his opponent is wearing gear protecting his torso), then based on what I've been shown, that should end the fight right there before Jirou can retaliate.

First of all, the OG just generally amps his overall stats, so I doubt that the face is a particular weakness. Secondly, OG doesn't look like armour, at least not in any way that would make it seem super durable (not to someone like Gon at the very least), so I'm unconvinced that he would necessarily go for the face in the first place.

If you want me to put this into perspective, the only durability feat you've shown for Jirou with his gear is tanking a hit from someone who can ragdoll a car a dozen or so feet into the air. Gon's Jajanken can hit a large Owl Chimera Ant COUNTRIES away. Let that sink in. If Jirou takes a punch like this to the face, while his stats are nerfed no less, the fight ends right there from what has been presented.

The feat I showed for Kouga was by no means his limit, it was a general example to show that Jirou can tank hits from strong opponents. For a better example of what Kouga can do, he's notably stronger than Reiji (as in, a single attack broke his sword) who has fairly impressive strength feats himself:

Chapter 11: Underdog
Chapter 11: Underdog

In his fight against his brother, Reiji creates this huge shockwave with his sword attack that tears up the ground beneath them. On top of obviously scaling to this via Kouga, Jirou and Reiji were also portrayed as nigh equals physically in their earlier spar, when Jirou wasn't even using Rago's power. Now, I'm sure you'll argue this still isn't on Gon's level, but tanking an attack from someone stronger than Reiji should be enough to show he can keep fighting after an attack from Gon.

But, it only gets worst for Jirou. Gon can also end the fight by charging at him with a Jajanken. In the same fight with the two Chimera Ants, Gon finished the Owl Chimera Ant off by blitzing over to him while charging his Jajanken and hitting him all the way to NGL.

Jajanken takes time to charge, and though it's not the longest charge time in the world, it's hardly something Gon can easily use in a blitz. In the example you showed against the Owl, he seemed to have been charging the attack for a little while as he was chasing him and there was a clear buildup before he launched his attack. You may argue that Gon's supposed speed advantage means that this won't be an issue, but the gap in speed is also not what you've made it out to be from what you've shown so far.

In short, Jirou's durability is better than you think (though that's probably on me for not showing more in my opener) and with Jajanken not being suited to a blitz, Gon one-shotting Jirou at the beginning of the fight is highly unlikely.

Counters II - The Opening Blitz

No Caption Provided

As mentioned, I don't think the speed difference is what you claim it is, though again this may be my fault for not sufficiently explaining Jirou's feats in my opener.

Meaning that at his strongest, he is fast enough to FTE blitz low-supersonic characters. That... isn't impressive compared to Gon. Heavens Arena and Yorknew Arc Killua, with a bare bones understanding of Nen, was able to move at supersonic speeds consistently (1,2).

Neither of those feats is supersonic. In Heavens Arena, Killua jumps up at high speed and goes FTE to the random Nen user, and nothing about that indicates that it's supersonic. His fight against Phinks in Yorknew simply involved him moving at blur speed

No Caption Provided

Which isn't supersonic either.

However, in Greed Island, Killua was scratched in the cheek by a severely wounded Binolt after his failed attempt to blitz. Killua even notes that if Binolt was all full strength, he would have lost his eye.

And yet, after Binolt has a full day's rest, Gon can easily dodge Binolt's scissor swings and keep up with him. Essentially, Gon vastly outperformed a consistently supersonic character against Binolt.

Your supersonic baseline doesn't exist, and even if it did this would simply make Gon vaguely faster than a supersonic character, which is hardly significant.

That is a solid baseline for Gon, but not his best. He is consistently portrayed to be Killua's equal in Greed Island and in the Chimera Ant Arc. So I think that Gon should scale to base Killua's speed. You know, the same Killua who can react to explosions despite being blindsided in mid air

Killua reacting to an explosion doesn't mean he can move at that speed in combat. If anything, his seeming inability to dodge suggests the opposite.

and can evade sniper bullets that cross several KMs in seconds from 57 centimeters away.

Covering kilometres in seconds is supersonic, not hypersonic, though Killua reacting to it from a short distance is impressive.

So all in all, being relative to base Killua in speed puts Gon in the hypersonic ranges of speed, which is far above where you are arguing a FULL POWER JIROU. A nerfed Jirou should be even slower, cementing in stone that Gon is more than capable of blitzing him.

I think there has been some kind of misunderstanding regarding Jirou's feats and how I'm arguing his speed, so let's go over them again and compare them to what has been shown for Gon.

Firstly, I showed base Jirou reacting to and matching a supersonic attack from his grandfather, as well as dodging attacks from a supersonic character whilst wearing aura dampening handcuffs. Jirou is supersonic at his absolute weakest.

On top of that, he has his OG which enhances his speed even further, meaning that Jirou, as he is at the start of the fight, is solidly supersonic. You can argue Gon is faster, sure, but require you scaling him to Killua's reaction speed feat by comparing their movement speed, which is somewhat flawed. What hurts your speed argument, even more, is that this explosion timing is your only hypersonic feat. Nothing else you've shown even makes Gon faster than this Jirou, let alone someone like Kouga. Speaking of Kouga, I think you're also underselling the impressiveness of his feat.

As previously mentioned, Jirou was capable of reacting to supersonic attacks point-blank in base without issue. He then equips his OG, which though not 100% functional here, would still increase his speed. Then Kouga shows up and with the utmost ease goes completely FTE to Jirou and Reiji from a huge distance away. Completely disappearing to these two would require Kouga to move several times faster than the supersonic attacks they have reacted to, and the difference in the distance only means that the difference in speed would be have to be that much higher. Put simply, a casual Kouga should be pushing Hypersonic, the same tier you put Gon in.

On top of all of this, you completely failed to address Jirou's Cicada Shell as an option to circumvent a blitz. I showed Jirou doing this exact thing in my opener, using his Cicada Shell to avoid an attack from an opponent much faster than him. So even if Gon could blitz and one-shot Jirou, the latter's Cicada Shell is the perfect ability to avoid such a thing, and would also mean the removal of his OG, the thing your current argument is reliant on Jirou wearing.

All in all, Gon doesn't really have the stats to blitz and one-shot Jirou with his OG, and even if he did Jirou's Cicada shell is the perfect counter to a blitz, so the fight ending there is very unlikely.

Counters III - The Continuing Brawl

No Caption Provided

Now that I've seen what my opponent has to show for Gon and I've established that he won't be getting blitzed and one-shotted at the start of the fight, it's time to go further into what the actual fight will consist of.

So yeah, basic reasoning cements in stone that Gon created a building sized shockwave with a tree.

What is so impressive about this? Well the shockwave alone could destroy rock without even touching the cliffside. A building sized shockwave with rock shattering potency would decimate a building. And Gon accomplished this by swinging around a tree. It isn't exactly striking strength, but it still shows the level of power he is operating at.

This feat for Gon is similar to Jirou's feat against Amagi that I showed off in my opener, which leads me to believe that their physicals are somewhat similar. However, whilst this is Gon's best striking feat without Jajanken (to my knowledge), this is hardly Jirou's limit. After that punch I showed off, Jirou and Amagi go on to exchange blows with each other for an extended time, with Jirou tanking many of Amagi's attacks.

(Full fight) Though you have yet to show any durability feats for Gon, Jirou is more than capable of exchanging blows with someone comparable to himself in an extended battle, even whilst not having the full amount of control he should have given that he had to completely control the power that Rago usually takes care of.

Now, Gon's Jajanken is very powerful, but it's not without its drawbacks. As I mentioned before it does have a bit of a charge-up time, and given how Jirou generally tries to end fights as soon as he can, I'm not inclined to believe that he'd allow Gon to use it. On top of that, using the ability makes Gon more vulnerable to attacks IIRC, which just makes Gon even more susceptible to a counterattack from his opponent. On top of that, Jirou has his own powerful attacks that Gon has to watch out for:

Chapter 19: Once Again
Chapter 19: Once Again

At the end of his initial fight with Amagi (before he got Rago back), despite being effectively beaten, Jirou still manages to summon the last vestiges of Rago's power and uses it to take of Amagi's arm with a huge energy blast, which also destroys a part of a building in the background. This is significant given that Amagi easily tanked Jirou's attacks earlier in the fight, even face-tanking Jirou's initial punch which created the huge shockwave. In other words, even if Gon can easily tank attacks from characters comparable to himself, that doesn't mean that he can tank Jirou's energy blasts. Additionally, Jirou's energy blasts are easier to use than Gon's Jajanken as he was able to unleash a blast capable of tagging Amagi as Amagi was trying to finish him off, whilst on the verge of losing consciousness.

Going back to speed, it's worth mentioning that EoS Jirou should actually be faster than Kouga, given how Kouga was treated against Amagi.

Chapter 16: Walk Proud Like a Rhino's Horn
Chapter 16: Walk Proud Like a Rhino's Horn

When Amagi returns to Kouga after increasing his power by eating his fellow Mononoke (an ability unique to himself), he consumes Kouga's comrade before Kouga can react. Now, I'm you may be thinking that this looks like a clear cut surprise attack which should take away from the feat, and you'd be right. However, this same scenario happened earlier in the manga, with a very different outcome.

Chapter 12: My Prerogative/Chapter 14: Prisoners No. 1,2,3
Chapter 12: My Prerogative/Chapter 14: Prisoners No. 1,2,3

Here we have an almost identical situation. Amagi, someone Kouga perceives as an ally, attacks Rago, who Kouga cares about. Yet in this example, Kouga manages to save Rago, as this was Amagi before he powered up. Given this earlier incidence, I think it's fair to say that in the instance in Chapter 16 Kouga simply failed to react to Amagi's attack, which is even more impressive given the distance. Now, at the end of the day, it was still a surprise attack so I won't argue it as a full-on blitz, but I think it's more than fair to say that Amagi, and Jirou by extension, is solidly faster than Kouga, which is supported by Rago stating that Kouga doesn't stand a chance against him.

With Gon, the best feat you have for him is scaling to Killua reacting to an explosion, which is a reaction speed feat and not a combat speed feat. Currently, Jirou should be faster than Gon in combat and you'd be hard-pressed to argue otherwise. On top of having the speed advantage, Jirou also more avenues to attack Gon from, due to the manipulation of Rago's darkness. As an example:

In this part of their fight, Amagi throws Jirou to the ground and pins him down, but Jirou creates a tendril of darkness to reach out and send Amagi flying despite his disadvantaged position. Little things like this can't be replicated by Gon and will allow Jirou to land more blows than his opponent, especially given that Rago can do things like the above or blocking attacks independently of Jirou.

Conclusion

This fight will not end with Gon blitzing and one-shotting Jirou at the start of the fight. Gon arguably isn't strong enough to do so without Jajanken, which is ill-suited to a blitz by nature, and even if he was Jirou's Cicada Shell remains the perfect counter to a blitz. Once Jirou gets going with Rago's power, he has a better physical standing from the feats shown so far, as well as better combat speed. On top of that, Jirou has more accessible powerful attacks compared to Jajanken and is also more versatile than Gon in terms of potential avenues for both attacking and defending that he's sure to take advantage of given his combat intelligence.

Now obviously mentality isn't all there is to a fight, but I thought it was important to note as it means that Gon won't be holding back in the slightest. And when you pair that mentality with Gon's impressive physicals, battle ingenuity, and Nen abilities, I think it may be a little too much for Jirou.

You brought up Gon's mentality as a potential advantage for him in this fight, but I don't see that being the case. I mentioned this briefly in my opener but Jirou doesn't hold back in his fights, nor does he refrain from killing. Jirou actually often aims to end his fights in a single attack, and almost as frequently achieves this. Jirou won't hesitate to go all out against Gon, and neither will Rago, who cares even less about human life. You also brought up what Kite taught him about killing, but you seemed to have missed one key detail about what he said:

No Caption Provided

And to that, all I have to say is

No Caption Provided
maestromage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers