CaV Free-For-All | Yamato (Darthjhawk) vs Shinji (Deathhero61) vs Dante (Maestromage)

maestromage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

The New World… a hive of scum and villainy unlike any other yet, a bastion of hope and freedom for change. The realm of the strongest powers in the world is a host to the battle between chaos and order. But just as the seas ever ebb and flow, the times… they are a-changin', and a new generation is rising to supplant the old. In that generation lies the successor, the guardian wolf of the country of Samurai. Born as a daughter to the strongest creature on the high seas, she claims the name of her hero as she sets sail for a journey to conquer the world.

Representative for the New World: Yamato

No Caption Provided

Up is down, down is up, right is left and left is right. The world of Soul Society and its court guard has been the stalwart defenders of the balance for eons. Protecting and maintaining the larger picture of the cosmos without fail. That is until one of their own aspired to break the natural order and betray their brothers. For decades, the curse of evil has plagued him but failed to maintain its grip. After all, how can you remain steadfast when the world around you is inverted? The captain of the 5th Division controls the laws of the very world itself, disrupting the very equilibrium the new world threatens to stand on.

Representative for Old World: Shinji Hirako

No Caption Provided

And now, the battle between the two world orders begins! FIG-

*energy crackles and explodes in the middle of the stage, a tear through dimensions opens*

“How are you up one? Did cutting that tree down mess with your head? Lost the ability to count? Well, whatever I could use a snack” The man draped in crimson strutted out of the gap between dimensions fracturing any semblance of balance the two had hoped to create with the outcome of the battle. After flipping off his former opponent in a manner that only brothers could, he finally noticed the two standing before him as the tear in space-time closed once more. Greeting his two new acquaintances, the son of hell quickly caught up to what was happening, leading to what could only be interpreted as a devil’s grin.

“Jackpot.”

New Challenger, The Son of the Demon: Dante

No Caption Provided

Credit to Darthjhawk for the intro

Rules

• In character
  • Everyone is Current
  • Standard Gear, DMC5 Gear for Dante
  • Random Encounter
  • Win by Death, KO or Incapacitation

CAV Rules

• This is a CAV so don't comment on who you think wins the fight or anything like that
  • At the end of the debate, vote for who you think made the better arguments, not which character you think wins
  • Give reasons for why you think they debated better
  • If you want to be tagged when the debate is over, just say "Tag for votes" (or T4V).

The fight takes place on Onigashima with no people around. Combatants start on the rooftop 50ft away from each other.

No Caption Provided
Marc_55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol.

darthjhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3 darthjhawk  Moderator
Marc_55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LMAO

Naronu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

taep

RhoyneDelta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

TAEP, I thought this was Yamato (Naruto), Shinji (Neon Genesis Evangelion) and Dante (Black Clover) for a moment lol

Pr03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

taep

Mike_Strike10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

TAEP.

ComicGirl21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Me: Shinji? That's a stomp, what can he even do?

Reads "Free for all" in the OP.

Me: Nevermind. TAEP.

TheWatcherKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hm

Sauce_God31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Taep

darthjhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 darthjhawk  Moderator

Sorry boys @maestromage, @deathhero61 I know we were supposed to start later, but I got too excited to talk about my girl. Let's do this.

The Frozen Wolf: Yamato The Successor

No Caption Provided

The Past is Prologue: The World at Large

Where do I begin? What can I say that has not already been explored by those more experienced and my betters have debated ad nauseam? At this point, all that's left is for me to gush over what is possibly my second favorite character in the series. It's time for me to throw my hat in the ring, and thus I want to open with the vastness of the world at large. The ever-expanding, ever-thriving, and downright insane world of One Piece:

No Caption Provided

Stop me if you've heard this one before, but the planet our story is set on is exceedingly large. While it does share many similarities with our native Earth, it is exceedingly different in just as many if not many more ways. One of the most notable is that it holds not just one but at least 5 celestial bodies in its orbital ring:

Which at first might not be as convincing considering the relationships bodies such as Mars and Pluto have their moons, but when we consider that there are potentially over 20 million islands populating the oceans of the planet compared to our Earth having just over 2,000, as well as Fishman Island being located 10,000 meters below sea level (the nadir of Earth being the Mariana Trench), and the ocean having even deeper levels than that. This idea is developed even more given that each island has unique magnetic signatures and generated fields that Log Pose navigation and produce 16 different seasons across the first phase/stretch of the Grand Line, heightened magnetism and the chaotic weather being a trait notable amongst larger and/or denser planets with higher gravity.

Nature itself is heightened to an extreme degree as a consequence, with natural elements such as the Knock Up Stream:

No Caption Provided

The Stream is a massive eruption of water that occurs five times a month, a natural disaster that displays incredible power, one that however notably is still within the realms of logic and nature, as intensified as it is compared to our own. The build-up and side effects create the massive storm clouds you see above and are capable of killing Sea Kings, the power of a singular king we just established as a side effect. One of the streams capable of shattering and launching half of a sizable island in Jaya into the realm of Skypeia tens of kilometers into the sky permanently.

The sheer scale of this is replicated by a host of characters and races. And show a clear progression and elevation throughout the series. The begins with the Giant Captains Dorry and Broggy, who are virtually on their last legs and weapons that were so worn down after a century of battle that they fall apart after one last swing... eviscerating and blowing a clean hole, erasing everything in between(such that the Going Merry had a clear path of sea-going through the hole in the creature, meaning the effectively vaped its inner anatomical structure) the Sea King known as the Island-Eater:

No Caption Provided

Considering that the Sea King was known to swallow islands whole and its feces (which are nearly always smaller than the creature that produces them), the giants are effectively producing power capable of annihilating larger islands of the world with what is essentially a shockwave. As Usopp says cutting the ocean itself.

The scale of destruction is heightened once we return to the sky. Near the end of his story, Enel unleashed a scale of power that massively increases the scale of the series, unleashing his Advent of Thunder:

No Caption Provided

The casual usage of this technique generated by Enel's power generates massive storm clouds and produces balls of pure energy that completely vaporizes whole islands, inflating the scale shown by the giants and nature itself from breaching of country tiers well into the destruction of larger countries. And this isn't the end. Enel creates an even larger Advent, capable of not just annihilating islands, but the entire country of Skypeia even whilst maintaining his Deathpeia technique at the same time, directing individual bolts of lightning to strike down individual targets.

The scale of power is once more tipped towards the giants, as further into the series we are introduced to an even older variant known as the Ancient Giants, by way of Oars, the being known in life as the continent puller:

No Caption Provided

Ancient Giant Oars was described as forming a massive country or continent by pulling several other countries together in a timeframe of 7-800 years ago, seemingly coinciding with the abandonment and migration of several countries and rulers from their old nations to the Holy Land. To put into perspective how large these nations could have and would have been Alabasta is ridiculously large. So much so that the river that makes a small sliver of the total landmass is 50 km large. Indicating the entire mass is extremely large, likely bordering on the range of a small continent. This series of events is likely what led the World Government to research gigantification experiments into turning beings into Ancient Giants. Something they had been researching for hundreds of years, which would line up with Oars legend, portrayal, and the general hype around the numbers. Which to me indicates a few things, one of which being the fact they skipped regular giants as evidence that beings such as Oars far surpass those of even Dorry and Broggy's caliber which would be consistent with his legend, and that the greater the giant's size, the more powerful they are.

In short, the world is massive and the power of the beings within it are just as grand, or even greater. Yet these are considered within the realm of logic and nature. Enel was stated if he had been a pirate on the main world to be worth just over 500 Million for his bounty, and more powerful people than he exist even before the New World, he is far from number one. The Numbers, beings who were meant to replicate Oars in size and power are subservient to beings even below those who stand at the precipice and are easily overpowered and taken out in singular blows by the individual stronger Straw Hats and Supernovas. As I said though. This pales in comparison to those who hold dominion. The Power of the Four Emperors.

Dominion of Land, Air, & Sea: Wrath of the Four Emperors

In a word, the Yonko are... extraordinary. To use such a term after describing the extremities of the world of One Piece should say it all, but this is something mangaka Eichiro Oda seems to double down when it comes to his emperors of the sea:

No Caption Provided

Now any reasonable person would conclude I posted this scan to emphasize Whitebeard being stated to destroy the world, and to an extent, you would be right. Whether you feel it is hyperbole or not, whether it means full-on planetary destruction or the destabilizing of the socio-political structure, the point I want to get across is that the Four Emperors of the Sea defy nature. In fact not only do they defy nature, but they also conquer, subjugate and rule over it. They are simply echelons above the occurrences of the world and its people, as such even if destruction of the world is a priority, the results of their clashes will undoubtedly change the world irrevocably, something made abundantly clear on the very same page above.

Let's start with the old man himself, Edward Newgate, the same feat above already surpasses levels in the real world. One of the greatest quakes and consequential tsunamis from 2004 in the Indian Ocean produced total energy yields of nearly 10,000 gigatons or 10 teratons of TNT, aka enough to affect or destroy a country. The waves produced reached 30 meters high. The tsunamis produced by Whitebeard dwarf this power considerably. Eclipsing the island of Marineford in every dimension possible. Displaying power, an order of magnitude above everything we've seen before merely as a greeting to war. Later genuine efforts violently convulsing the oceans themselves:

No Caption Provided

All this is a side effect of Newgate destroying a giant, (the power of normal giants at their arguable weakest mentioned before) with a singular blow. I don't think it needs to be said how powerful Newgate is when this is him at his proverbial weakest, so I'll continue with the next Emperor, Big Mom:

No Caption Provided

Her moveset is so versatile and powerful, that she could essentially replicate the effects of Enel's full might of Deathpeia without any truly significant effort, the supernovas comparing her to natural disaster personified. The abilities of her Soul Fruit enhance and empower the effects to match and surpass the realms of nature. Consistent with the fact that, at the mere age of five, Linlin was destroying not just captains but heroes of the giant race, indicating a level of power far above what the world had seen that only continued to grow. A power that would eventually grow to match the being known as the strongest creature in the world... Kaido:

No Caption Provided

Kaido of course not just being the strongest man but creature would denote a clear difference in sheer portrayal for Oda, and that's simply true. The splitting of the heavens is seen as the pinnacle of power as it can only be achieved by those who have obtained and displayed mastery of one of the most powerful systems in the series. The Color of the Conqueror. Haki and Conqueror's Haki is treated as one of, if not the ultimate level of power one can achieve, the advanced version being a level that Kaido himself states a few of the very strongest of the universe can attain. It is how they split the heavens, strike opponents without even touching them, and dominate the will of others and the sea itself. In fact, people who have reached this level are among the few that Kaido considers capable of not just fighting, but truly challenging him:

No Caption Provided

A level of power that our main attraction has clearly reached. The successor to Kaido and his heir someone whose strength he values, and defection he considers especially painful for taking up the name of the man who permanently scarred him, this is the Wolf of Wano. The Scion of Kaido: Yamato

===============================================

Come The Conqueror: The White Fang of Wano Country

No Caption Provided

Yamato's power is rather awesome, and she's proven more than worthy of standing near the top of the world alongside the most powerful and lethal. As I said, one worthy of Kaido's acknowledgment enduring years of torture and beatdowns from him, alongside his desire for her to rule Wano in his stead, even over his right-hand men in King, Queen, and Jack:

No Caption Provided

This portrayal is reflected even in her lower end showings as her first on-screen feats consist of rapidly overpowering and defeating two of the Tobi Roppo; Page One and Ulti, (the latter of which was seemingly on such a level that Luffy believed he needed Gear 4th to defeat her) with a singular Thunder Bagua, and later matching Luffy's own combat in base and up to Gear Third. All whilst being weakened considerably due to being confined to seastone prism shackles. This is further emphasized when a younger and likely weaker Yamato was matching Ace blow for blow, and shown capable of bypassing his Logia capabilities with Armament Haki. Ace even considered her strength nonsensical for her not to be the captain of the crew, knowing he came to take on Kaido and his men.

The Thunder Bagua is especially impressive considering she matched blows with Kaido speed, and even power with both in their hybrid forms:

No Caption Provided

This is particularly impressive considering Thunder Bagua is the move Kaido used to completely outpace and oneshot Luffy at the start of the arc and later when Luffy has improved massively, mastering his Haki further and constantly reading the future, was still able to strike him nearly dead on. Blitzing Luffy to such an extent implies Kaido can essentially move at minimum at the speed of light if not far faster considering the physical boost the Ancient Zoan Hybrid Form offers. I doubt I need to go into full detail but of course, Marco shows parity to and outracing Admiral Kizaru's attacks, those being stated, portrayed, and operating at the speed of light. In short, Yamato is able to keep pace, and even outmatch Kaido at points:

No Caption Provided

This relativity even extends to Yamato's sheer durability and endurance. Frankly, she's a monster in the category, as she's endured all types of attacks from Kaido from her youth ranging. Experiencing and enduring all kinds of assault. Be it by piercing force, blunt force, energy, or even his haki, getting back up each and every time. She's even shown the means of infusing her attacks with the color of the conqueror to damage Kaido even further, matching Gear 4th infused blows:

No Caption Provided

I would love to go on and on, but I think you get the main point I want to assert here. Yamato is a physical monster, a skillful warrior capable of contending with those who defy and subjugate mother nature itself. She holds all three types of Haki, even observation alongside an extremely potent devil fruit that I can't wait to explore in just a bit and further on in the discussion. You've already seen Thunder and White Serpent both she has shown to infuse with advanced armament and conqueror's haki But that's not all as she has several more techniques at her disposal combining both her haki and fruit:

In essence, Yamato is a complete package, capable of attacking and defending from any and all angles, the combination of her haki, devil fruit, physicality, and skills offers the potentially sturdiest opponent on the battlefield. I have no doubt in my mind that this will ultimately turn into a battle of endurance and attrition, one that I am confident Yamato will be the last man standing. The fact that she holds an elemental edge in ice gives her additional means to wear her opponents down and she can project her haki to attack more than just the physical body, but even their very wills. This is a character and discussion I look forward to exploring more with you two but for now! Good luck and fun to us all, but I have no doubt Yamato will do her best and push you to your limits. After all, if she didn't...

No Caption Provided

darthjhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mike_Strike10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthjhawk: This is faster than usual Darth. Excellent.

maestromage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amazing start my friend

Loading Video...

ComicGirl21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What an awesome read! That was very informative, thanks so much.

Wushu59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

taep

Marc_55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

maestromage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

[00] | The Legendary Dark Knight

No Caption Provided

Devil May Cry is a series I've always vaguely thought was kinda cool but never actually played or got into at all, until the last few months where I played through all four good games and a tiny amount of the one we don't talk about. And after getting around to it after all these years, I finally get it. What makes this character and the series by extension so beloved and iconic, what appealed to me about him all this time, it all just clicks. Because these games are downright stylish. That's not me trying to be witty, that's genuinely the only word I can use to accurately describe what Dante and Devil May Cry are all about. DMC is more than simply being cool or being fun and Dante is more than simply a cool character or even an interesting one;

He's a fucking stylish one.

Loading Video...

Devil Hunter [01] | SMOKIN'

Long ago, the Demon King Mundus waged war against the human world, seeking to return two worlds to the singular state they once were. All hope seemed lost for humanity, and it would have been, if not for the actions of one sole demon. This demon single-handedly overturned the tide of the war, defeating Mundus and sealing him and all demons back in the Demon World, and though as a demon himself he was weakened in the process, the Human world knew peace. This demon was Sparda, the father of Dante and Vergil.

Devil May Cry's lore and story are relatively simple, but still quite interesting. Two worlds, Human and Demon, in a constant struggle for supremacy in a setting where the Demons hold all the power. DMC1 introduces and simultaneously wraps up the core story of the setting, with Dante defeating Mundus just as his father did, and the other game and extended media simply spin-off from there in various ways. Dante himself, however, is surprisingly much more in line with your typical shounen protagonist. He continuously grows stronger over time as he battles various enemies and opponents and gradually gains both powers and friends as he goes on his journey. So let's start at the beginning.

In his chronologically earliest appearance, Dante was already fast enough to do battle against the likes of Gilver, a powerful Knight created by Mundus who should be at least as fast if not faster than the lightning incarnate Blitz demons. This level of speed is in turn surpassed by DMC 3's famous rain feat:

In the very opening cutscene of the game, Dante and Vergil are shown battling each other in the rain, moving so fast that they make the nearby raindrops look like statues and cutting down so many raindrops that they temporarily create a small rainless "vacuum" of sorts around them. Doing so obviously requires some fairly ridiculous speed from them both, putting these rookie versions of Dante and Vergil into the sub-relativistic range (See here for a detailed breakdown). As we go further forward in time we meet even more formidable and dangerous demonic foes, such as the Beastheads whose power was enough to shake the entire planet, but the pinnacle of power comes, of course, once we reach the Demon Kings.

Yes, I did say Kings plural. Whilst Mundus was introduced as the main King of demons, the series later introduces a few other Demon Kings who are peers to Mundus in power. In fact, it is one of these other Kings who gives us what's perhaps the best standalone feat in the series:

Meet Abigail. Or rather, meet Sid. Sid is a human but here in the DMC anime he was using the power of Abigail, one of the previous Kings of the Demon World, and Sid demonstrates perfectly why these kings are so feared, casually parting clouds across the country at massive speeds with his demonic energy. Such a feat would easily put Abigail and the other Demon Kings well into the large country-level ranges, if not higher. The speed of these characters also increases in tandem, with the Dante who struggled with Mundus easily deflecting a particle beam immediately before fighting him. Now, whilst in the first game Dante required help both from Trish and his father's sword to defeat an opponent of this calibre, DMC goes full shounen and doubles down on it by having Dante defeat a Demon King solo not once, not twice, but three separate times in the immediate stories that follow.

In the DMC anime that takes place after DMC 1, Dante defeats Sid/Abigail just by using a small amount of his Devil Trigger; in DMC Volume 2 which takes place right before DMC 2 Dante beats an alternate universe's Mundus with no DT in three pages flat, calling the battle easy, and finally in DMC 2 Dante practically no-diffs Argosax once again in base, going completely FTE to them before obliterating their entire body with a single attack. It's worth mentioning that for DMC 5, Capcom created a "History of DMC" video that reaffirms the parity between Abigail/Argosax/Mundus as well as the fact that they're concretely below Dante by the point of DMC 2, stating that "not even demonic rulers rivalling the power Mundus could match Dante's strength" during the part of the video where they're talking about DMC 2 and the anime, a clear reference to Abigail/Argosax and arguably the alternate Mundus as well. (I'd also just recommend watching the video anyways as it gives a concise overview of the main story beats leading up to DMC 5).

That said, we're still not quite done yet. I did say that Dante was a shounen protagonist, didn't I? So in true shounen fashion, DMC 5 throws everything out the window and ramps up the power scale to a ridiculous degree.

Right out of the gate, the new antagonist Urizen one-shots Devil Trigger Dante so badly that he shatters his iconic blade Rebellion and knocks him out for a month straight. Urizen then goes on to juice up on human blood for the duration of said month (as human blood makes demons stronger) before going on to eat the fruit of the Qliphoth tree, which DMC5 explains is what all those previous Demon Kings used to gain their massive power in the first place, and yet despite all this still ends up receiving fatal injuries from base Dante later in the game. "What the hell?" I hear you ask. Well, it turns out that the Qliphoth tree that was helping Urizen power up confused Dante for him because **SPOILERS** Urizen is just the demon half of Vergil, Dante's brother. As such it also gave Dante the same month-long juice session when he was knocked out inside part of the tree. But more importantly, Dante would go on to use the fractured rebellion to gain a new power-up, fusing both it and his father's sword the Sparda into himself. In doing so he not only increased his own general power drastically but also created a new sword, the Devil Sword Dante or DSD, and unlocked a new second transformation, a Sin Devil Trigger. Think of it like his Bijuu Mode or his Bankai. What makes current Dante even more impressive is that prior to his sword infusion he was shown reacting to and actively moving faster than a Fury with ease. The impressiveness of this stems from the later establishment that Furies move so fast they warp space-time, a feat explicitly requiring relativistic speeds. This is in line with the previous feats and scaling and puts Dante in the upper end of relativistic and into continental in base before his significant amp and not factoring in the two transformations he now has to fall back on, both of which amp all his stats notably.

Devil Hunter [02] | SEXY

Ebony and Ivory. Dr Faus. Double Kalina Ann. Coyote-A. Devil Sword Dante. King Cerberus. Cavaliere. Balrog.

Dante is a character famous for the wide variety of weapons and abilities, conventional or otherwise, that he uses with consistent proficiency across the various games. The eight named above are those he has access to by the end of Devil May Cry 5 and they're what we'll be talking about here. Even with this technically limited arsenal, there is still a lot Dante can do, but first, it's important to understand the nature of these weapons. Almost all of Dante's weapons are Devil Arms. These are special kinds of weapons and most are made from the soul of a powerful demon that Dante killed or beat. This is shown nicely at the beginning of DMC 3 when Dante defeats Cerberus, who then offers their soul to Dante to be used as a Devil Arm. As a result, Dante is left with a weapon that contains the crystallised powers/abilities of the devil, allowing him to use their abilities as his own. The other key advantage to devil arms is that they can be summoned out of thin air freely mid-combat, allowing him to switch between them with ease. There are only three weapons for which it's unclear if it applies to, which I'll talk about first, but given the logistical issues of physically having them on his person at all times, I assume it does.

The Basics

• Ebony and Ivory: Dante's default and one of the two staple weapons that he uses in all the games. A pair of pistols, one made for rapid-fire and the other for more precise fire. Should go without saying but they're intentionally made for superhuman usage and Dante also upgrades them as he goes along, hence their ability to remain relevant in his tier despite getting stronger. Can also be charged with his own demonic energy for extra damage.
  • Coyote-A: A shotgun. That's basically it. Though like E&I it's also made to kill demons and can similarly be charged.
  • Double Kalina Ann: A matching pair of rocket launchers that Dante dual wields. They can also be combined to allow for extra attacks.
  • The last of Dante's ranged weapons is Dr Faust, a magic hat that lets Dante shoot crystalized demon blood as projectiles.

Now for his melee weapons:

• Devil Sword Dante: His new main sword, replacing his old staple. Can shoot a few energy attacks but more importantly can summon external ethereal swords to assist Dante.
  • King Cerberus: Shapeshifting Nunchuks/Three-Sectioned-Staff/Bo Staff with each form utilising elemental Ice/Lightning/Fire attacks respectively.
  • Balrog: Armoured melee gear to enhance Dantes punches and kicks, can ignite itself with hellfire to further supplement his attacks.
  • Cavaliere: Just a whole ass motorbike that splits into what's effectively two massive chainsaw blades, as seen in the opening video of this section.

Dante has a few other abilities that are worth mentioning:

• Devil Trigger: As mentioned, this is basically his Super Saiyan. Dante can freely and relatively easily enter or exit this form, though he generally doesn't use it unless he needs to. Overall it enhances his stats as well as the power of all of his abilities on top of allowing him to fly.
  • Sin Devil Trigger: SSJ2. Does the same thing at a higher level except it's more taxing to enter and also allows for the usage of some exclusive abilities.

Application

Being able to do a lot of different things is cool, but personally, I think that what can actually be achieved with them in practice is much more important, as I'm sure anyone who has read a lot of my debates could tell you.

E&I and Coyote are relatively simplistic in what they can do, but Dante's other weapons are much more diverse. Dr Faust at a basic level just lets Dante machine gun fire crystalised demon blood at you, but the hat itself can also be used as a weapon. By throwing the hat, Dante can attach ethereal duplicates of the hat onto anyone who gets hit by it, allowing Dante to then detonate them at a later point. Making them explode doesn't remove them either, so Dante can do this repeatedly until the hat duplicates fade after enough time, essentially making this a free reusable sticky grenade. Dante can also detach the hat from himself, allowing it to fire its projectiles independently of his own actions. But Dante's control of these projectiles goes beyond simply shooting them. Not only can he create a floating barrage of them that will automatically spin around him to harm anything that comes close, but, after charging up, he can also pull a Fujitora and yeet gigantic meteors out of the sky to nuke you into oblivion. Double Kalina Ann (DKA) also has its share of uses, from letting Dante fire a barrage of homing missiles to doing things like firing a big f*ck-off laser to shred his enemies. It also has other useful features like being able to unleash sporadic AOE missile barrages, and like all of Dante's ranged weapons, the projectiles can be further charged with his demonic energy if Dante really wants to make them hurt.

Though Dante's ranged weapons are versatile, his melee weapons take it a step further in their variation, particularly in comparison to one another.

Credit to Nyazalea for the gameplay

Balrog is Dante's kick/punch weapon this time around, but it functions differently from his previous ones. First, it has two modes, each with a distinct style. In blow mode, his moves resemble those of a boxer; quick jabs and dodges with a focus on punches. Conversely, his movements in kick mode resemble a Capoeira fighter, with a focus on agility, acrobatics, and longer and larger reaching kicks. Further augmenting these two styles is Balrog's key mechanic: Ignition. Through certain moves Dante can ignite Balrog, enhancing all of his attacks in it with the powerful Hellfire that the original demon was feared for. DMC's hellfire is no ordinary fire either. In DMC1, it's noted that the Frosts, whose icy nature lets them go below absolute zero, are vulnerable to Hellfire from weapons like Ifrit, despite them being completely impervious to ordinary flames. Other fiery demons like Berial are able to cover mountain ranges with their hellfire, and yet Balrog stands above them all. That link interestingly also states that simply wielding Balrog's gauntlets would be enough to incinerate anyone else, yet Dante can freely use them unharmed, which speaks to his own resistance to temperatures.

Moving onward, we next have Cavaliere, the crazy motorbike chainsaw weapon. Cavaliere has two main benefits. The first is simple, the inherent Chainsaw-esque nature of its attacks inherently makes it difficult to block or tank compared to any ordinary piercing attack. Especially as, thanks to its gear system, Dante can make these hits last a while. It's for this reason that Cavaliere is one of Dante's highest damaging weapons. The second main benefit it brings is both obvious and unexpected; mobility. At the end of the day, Cavaliere is still a motorbike, and Dante can and does ride it when fighting. The bike itself is adorned with several spikes, as the video at the start of this section showed, and Dante is skilled enough at riding it to swing it around so that the wheels hit his opponents. What makes this even easier to use is the fact that Cavaliere can also be used to launch Dante through the air at high speed without requiring any traction. Dante will also sometimes just chuck the entire bike at you, which I find hilarious.

Credit to StormCloudLOL for the gameplay

King Cerberus, as the name implies, is basically three weapons in one. Ice Nunchuks/Fire Staff/Lightning Three-Sectioned-Staff. This is in reflection of the demon it was made from, whose three heads utilised different elemental powers. The lightning form is great for AOE and indirect attacks, the fire form is useful for more precise and direct attacks with a greater range, and the ice form's main utility comes from its ability to create various defensive constructs. As with Balrog, the potency of these abilities must be considered. We're not given much to compare KC's lightning to but the man (dog?) himself brags to Dante about how inferior other elemental bosses in the series like Cerberus Bael and Berial are to him, clearly indicating that similar to Balrog, he's on another level than most demons. His ice abilities are particularly impressive; for one, KC's ice manipulation can reach absolute zero, which was used to cool the fruit of the Qliphoth tree, but his constructs are also very durable. The inferior Cerberus was used to block attacks from Balrog and its defensive ability is stated to be impervious, which may only be slightly hyperbolic given that in DMC5 it's the only thing in Dante's arsenal that can block Vergil's Judgement Cut End outside of Royal Guard. Its fire abilities, as with Balrog, are Hellfire, but notably, all of King Cerberus' elemental abilities are used to override one another in his boss fight, demonstrating their general parity.

Dante's last main ability is his Devil Trigger, which is independent of any of his weapons. As mentioned earlier, this is his super form and doesn't do much beyond amping all of his stats a decent amount and letting him fly. Though it is worth mentioning that, due to their nature as Devil Arms, all of Dante weapons inherently become more powerful when he's in DT. Ebony & Ivory, for example, no longer require charging as they just shoot "charged" shots as a default when Dante's in DT. However, Dante's Sin Devil Trigger is a little more interesting. SDT, presumably due to its greater power, has a few moves that can only be used when Dante is in it, and they're just as over the top as you might expect. He can shoot energy blasts from his bare hands, spin around like a Beyblade tornado, barrage you with a bajillion projectiles at once, and even trigger a massive explosion from inside you. It also just looks incredibly sexy, because of course it does.

Devil Hunter [03] | STYLE

Having just said so much about Dante's crazy versatility, don't let me fool you into thinking he needs it. He has it, and he'll happily use all of it because he loves to do crazy stuff, but even with just his basic equipment of Ebony & Ivory and a normal (relatively speaking) sword, Dante is still an incredibly formidable opponent. The simplest and most well-known example of this would be one of the four main "Styles" that you can use when playing as Dante, that being Royal Guard.

Royal Guard and the other Styles were introduced in DMC 3, where it is described as "almost like a form of demon martial arts". This is an appropriate description but it is interesting to consider that Royal Guard is just a skill given what can be accomplished with it. The style is primarily defensive in nature, and the core mechanic of it revolves around Dante parrying oncoming moves and storing up the damage that would have been dealt so that he can return it at a later date. RG is a bit of a meme in the community, mainly because of how effective it is against Vergil's boss fights in DMC 3, but honestly, I think its meme status is just indicative of how effective this ability actually is. By the time of DMC 5, Dante can parry every single attack in the entire game with Royal Guard, even if it's from a boss. It doesn't matter if it's physical, elemental, a laser, or even from an opponent more powerful than himself like Vergil in his Sin Devil trigger, Royal Guard stops it all. The last of those is doubly impressive, as Vergil's blade the Yamato is sharp enough to cut through space itself and is used multiple times in this very game to cut open doorways through space, yet Dante can parry this just fine. I'd also like to point out that Royal Guard isn't just something the game allows the player to do. Rather, irrespective of the player, it's something that Dante himself does to you in his own boss fight in Vergil's DLC.

Credit to MaximillionDood for the gameplay

I chose this example partly for comedic purposes I'll admit, but it illustrates the point nicely. That being that sometimes Dante will just opt to use Royal Guard when he could have easily just avoided the attack instead. At the start of the clip, he literally switched to RG and walks into Vergil's void slash just to Royal Guard the damage back towards him. This instance also demonstrates clearly that ranged attacks are not safe from RG either, as he can redirect the damage in a way that it seemingly spawns on or close to your body. Dante also seems to use Royal Guard against Agnus in the DMC4 Novel, Deadly Fortune, where its effectiveness it made perfectly clear. Agnus uses attacks that, by all rights should have cut him, yet it does nothing, and when he strikes with an even more powerful attack, Dante redirects the force back at him, shattering his armour and forcing him to stop to heal himself.

Royal Guard is Dante's ultimate defensive technique, but he has a mobility-focused alternative in Trickster. Unlike RG, "Trickster" itself isn't actually an ability in and off itself, but rather a collection of mobility options that Dante has. He can create temporary magical platforms to double jump and dash mid-air and even has his own high-speed movement technique akin to Shunpo that allows him to "teleport", even from the air where he has no traction. These abilities aren't game breaking on their own, but they are a massive benefit as they help to make Dante's mobility pretty insane.

Both of these styles are further compounded by Dante's general skill in combat. Anyone who's played a DMC game other than 2 could tell you that Dante is a highly skilled individual. Every time he gets a new weapon he's never used before he'll pick it up and swing it around like he's been using it for years, and his cutscenes just have him doing frankly silly shit for no reason beyond it looking cool. The video at the start of this section is a perfect example of this, with him shooting a pool ball in such a way that it bounces into the many other midair pool balls and doing that in such a way that all the pool balls bounce into his opponents, all whilst making sure to hit the white ball first because Dante ain't no cheater.

That said, the DMC novels take Dante's skill to an even higher level, particularly through his fight with Chen.

Dante vs Chen, DMC Volume 2

This fight is particularly impressive just because of Dante's ability to hold his own against Chen, and actually landing what would have been a fatal injury had Chen not just grown a new head. Why is holding his own against this guy impressive? Well:

• Chen had used the Beastheads to assimilate the skills of Sparda, Dante's father and superior who taught him how to fight;
  • He was also stated by the narrator to be moving so fast that Dante could barely perceive him;
  • Chen supposedly had "infinite knowledge" thanks to the Beastheads and could also see the future and was using this to foresee Dante's every move;
  • Dante's regen seemingly wasn't working, presumably due to them fighting in a room that Chen had previously used to negate his abilities. Chen on the other hand easily healed both his broken leg and his bisected head.

To say that the deck was stacked against him would be putting it mildly, and whilst he did require help from Beryl to seal the deal, the fact that he was able to fight Chen with any parity in the first place is indicative of the incredible skill that Dante possesses. The fact that is is this skilled just makes everything I've mentioned so far all the more dangerous, as it means it'll be relatively easy to put a lot of these things in practice.

What makes all of this somehow even more problematic for Dante's opponents is his healing factor and overall stamina because both are fairly ridiculous. The former is something displayed from the very start of the franchise, back in the third cutscene of DMC 1. As you can see above, after being impaled by Alastor, Dante nonchalantly pulls himself up through the blade, taking Alastor's entire massive crossguard through his chest and emerging on the other side no worse for wear. Something that would undoubtedly be a fatal injury in anyone with remotely human biology is the kind of thing that barely bothers Dante. Now, whilst DMC3 introduced the idea that Dante and Vergil can still be worn down and tired overtime to beat them, you must also consider that this was Dante and Vergil as teenagers and before their many powerups. By the time of DMC5, the brothers' stamina is outright absurd, with them battling each other practically non-stop in the Demon World from the 15th of June to the 24th of July, over a month straight.

Put plainly: putting Dante down is an absolute chore.

Devil Hunter [04] | The Hunt Begins

All in all, Dante is a bit of a beast to fight against. He's fast, he's strong, he's skilled and experienced out the ass, and has about eleventy different abilities at his disposal to help him last longer, hit harder, move around easier, and pretty much everything in between. But the attentive among you may have noticed that I missed something. A little something by the name of Devil Sword Dante. I wanted to save Dante's ironically titled weapon for last instead of discussing it with the other weapons because it has one key ability that, put simply, takes every single thing Dante can do and makes it better. This ability is swords formation.

Credit to Sigma Games for the gameplay

DSD allows Dante to summon Ethereal Extra swords that float around him, which he can control to fight, but what really makes this ability crazy is the fact that the swords can essentially be made to mimic whatever moves Dante is doing automatically, as shown above. So if Dante tries to stab you with his sword you now also get stabbed at by four extra summoned swords. He swings Cavaliere or kicks you with Balrog? Every one of those attacks is now supported by extra swords completely detached from Dante's body. And it goes beyond simply helping with melee attacks. As the beginning of this video shows, the swords can also be used to aid his mobility, shown in-game by granting him extra dashes, and they can also be used to automatically block attacks for him when he's using Royal Guard as well as just being used as raw projectiles. What makes the last of those even better is the fact that when used like this the swords will automatically counter any ranged attacks used against Dante. On top of this, when Dante does want to use them manually he can do so completely mentally, i.e. without physical movement. Oh, and Swords Formation activates automatically when Dante uses his Devil Trigger.

In short, DSD somehow makes Dante even more cracked than he already was, in a way that's perfectly befitting of a weapon he named after himself. So have fun!

maestromage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

darthjhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 darthjhawk  Moderator

@maestromage:If this aint the most out of place broken brawler who don't belong! Who let this fool in here? Oh right we did. Great Stuff man!

Mike_Strike10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maestromage: Great Post! Darth and Hero have their work cut out for them.

Wushu59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

nice