CaV: Captain America (buildhare) VS Hellboy (The_Red_Viper) ~~~[VOTING!!!!!!!!]~~~

• 96 results
the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By the_red_viper  Moderator

Representing Captain America (MCU):

No Caption Provided

@buildhare

Representing Hellboy (movies version):

No Caption Provided

-Yours Truly

Rules:

• In character.
  • No prep.
  • No prior knowledge.
  • Standard gear.
  • Win by any means.

No civilians around, nighttime, Cap starts where his team is and HB starts where Iron Man's team is.

Voting rules:

• This is a CaV, not a battle. Please do not discuss who you believe would win while debating is in progress.
  • If you are interested in voting on this battle, just ask and we will tag you when we're done.

Good luck and have fun!

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 the_red_viper  Moderator
Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Nice tfv

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bc0cd36084
deactivated-5d6bc0cd36084

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

T4V.

helloman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

T4V

Vertigo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tag

buildhare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 the_red_viper  Moderator
buildhare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ouroborik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

T4V

Avatar image for majinblackheart
MajinBlackheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 7

#11 MajinBlackheart  Moderator

T4V

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 the_red_viper  Moderator

@the_red_viper:

Could you start?

Yeah, I'm working on a post for another debate at the moment so I'll get to it when I'm done. Don't worry though, I'm pretty quick usually. That came out wrong

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 the_red_viper  Moderator

Hellboy's theme song for this fight:

Loading Video...

Introducing Hellboy:

No Caption Provided

Short bio:

In 1944, a group of Nazi occultists lead by Obersturmbannführer Karl Ruprecht Kroenen and Russian mystic Grigori Rasputin, built an interdimensional portal device off the coast of Scotland with the intent of freeing the Ogdru Jahad - the Seven Gods of Chaos - in the hopes that it would win the world war for them. They were intercepted by an American army team guided by paranormal expert Professor Trevor Bruttenholm (pronounced "Broom") before the ritual was completed. However, an infant demon was summoned forth through the portal before its destruction. The infant was given the name "Hellboy" by the team, and was adopted as a son by Prof. Bruttenholm. Sixty years later, Hellboy is an agent of the BPRD - the FBI's Bureau of Paranormal Research and Defense, whose purpose is investigating and protecting the world from occult and paranormal dangers. In his missions and exploits, Hellboy has encountered and defeated all manners of abnormalities and monsters, and was shaped into a very formidable combatant.

The Good Samaritan:

The Good Samaritan is Hellboy's huge-ass gun. While he isn't what you would call a master sharpshooter, he isn't too bad either. The gun packs a powerful punch too.

Here for example you can see shots from TGS blasting through stone pillars and knocking the hellhound Sammael several feet back:

No Caption Provided

As for marksmanship, as I said he isn't anything too out of the ordinary but he's good enough to snipe Tooth Fairies, who are small flying insect-like monsters, about the size of a tarantula:

No Caption Provided

Important to note that he killed 2 Tooth Fairies in one shot, which is pretty impressive, and also as you can see when the Tooth Fairies took wing Hellboy was flat on his back, but 2 seconds later he was already on his feet and shot them, which is a good speed and quickdraw feat.

Strength:

Such strong. Much wow.

Here Hellboy punches a troll (don't let her vile sorcery fool you, it wasn't an old lady, it was a troll in disguise) around 150-200 feet away:

No Caption Provided

Of course he has more strength showings, but that's a nice taste and should suffice for now.

Durability:

Probably Hellboy's best suit. Hurting him is extremely hard.

Here for example Hellboy takes Liz Sherman's fire blast (also shows his fire immunity) which sends him flying and falling from a multi-story building. He lands on the roof of a car and is perfectly fine afterwards.

As another example, here Sammael throws Hellboy into a concrete wall hard enough to break a large hole in it, and Hellboy is perfectly fine after that:

No Caption Provided

Hellboy's own shield:

Well he doesn't really have a shield, but he does have his invulnerable Right Hand of Doom.

For example, here Hellboy uses his RHOD to block Kroenen's blades:

No Caption Provided

For comparison, Kroenen's blades can cut through stone like butter:

No Caption Provided

Now of course Hellboy is highly durable as a whole as you have seen, but the RHOD is more durable than the rest of his body and Hellboy can use it effectively as you would a shield.

Initial thoughts:

This fight will be very hard for Steve mostly because of Hellboy's insane durability. He will have a very hard time putting a hurt on him, even with his own enhanced strength. At the same time, Hellboy has at least the strength to compare to Cap if not more so, and can deal massive damage to him. If he can tag him with the Good Samaritan it will injure Cap a lot more than a normal gun would. When the battle gets to hand-to-hand (which it most likely would), Hellboy has good skill and speed to compete with Steve as I promise you will see in future posts. All in all, it should be an interesting fight, but I definitely see Hellboy winning.

No Caption Provided

Your move, good luck! @buildhare

Avatar image for deactivated-5a89ca5697052
deactivated-5a89ca5697052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks Good :)

T4V !

ginman333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really interesting. I know nothing about Hellboy and really like MCU Cap, but Viper has handed me my butt once or twice, so I respect his ability to argue. Should be fun! T4V. Good luck to you both!

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 the_red_viper  Moderator

Really interesting. I know nothing about Hellboy and really like MCU Cap, but Viper has handed me my butt once or twice, so I respect his ability to argue. Should be fun! T4V. Good luck to you both!

Lol I have? When? Sorry for forgetting XD

Oh and thanks for the compliment ;)

ginman333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_red_viper: All in good fun buddy! Learned a lot and thats why Im here!

reaverlation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CaV of the week right here

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 the_red_viper  Moderator
buildhare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_red_viper:

Captain America

No Caption Provided

You all know who he is. Required listening.

Strength/Striking

Putting down Hellboy would be quite the task but Cap can definitely do it. Without the shield his striking is superhuman;

No Caption Provided

Able to send people flying through the air and lay the smack down on superhuman foes;

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

With the shield he hits considerably harder, able KO and ragdoll Chitauri with minimal effort;

No Caption Provided

It will take a fair while with how impressive Hellboy's durability is, but between the shield and his physicals Cap can keep him down via blunt force. He is not limited to that kind of damage however as will be expanded on in future posts.

Durability

If Cap is unlucky enough to be hit by one of Hellboy's punches he can push through it. It's unlikely Hellboy could land a hit as solid as the troll punch (it's a sucker punch) but if he did Cap would still be conscious, given it took a much stronger impact, which sent him even further, to do him in for even a minute;

No Caption Provided

He can take blows similar to that of Hellboy's RHOD and only be winded;

No Caption Provided

So even if he does get hit he's far from out of the fight.

Speed

Steve's reflexes were also increased by Erskines formula, allowing him to run far faster than a normal human could hope to, as well as dodging fast projectiles. Here he dodges a launched grenade fired from behind him;

No Caption Provided

His superhuman reflexes extends to combat, allowing him to go through entire teams in seconds;

9 Hydra Agents 9 seconds
9 Hydra Agents 9 seconds

....as well as engage and overwhelm multiple foes at the same time;

Captain America - The Winter Soldier Infinite Comic #1
Captain America - The Winter Soldier Infinite Comic #1
Captain America - The First Avenger Adaptation #1
Captain America - The First Avenger Adaptation #1

He can also dodge attacks and launch a counter attack at the same time, with little to no warning;

No Caption Provided

I know you've said you'll prove Hellboy can keep up with him in future posts so I won't make any serious claims but I think it's clear who has the advantage in this regard.

Skill

Perhaps his greatest strength, Cap is immensely skilled as a martial artist and tactician. His martial prowess was sufficient to fight the Winter Soldier to a stalemate initially and defeat him in their second confrontation. His skills, in addition to his agility, have allowed him to hang with foes much more physically imposing than himself;

Loading Video...

Above he is able to fight Ultron for several minutes on a moving truck, in spite of the fact that Ultron is much stronger and tougher than him, can fly and shoot lasers out of his hands. He was able to get the better of even Iron Man in H2H;

No Caption Provided

This showing is an impressive one of pure skill, as Iron Man is stronger, faster and more durable than the Captain.

Summary

• Cap can damage Hellboy with his fists and put him down with his shield.
  • Cap is unlikely to be hit solidly with the RHOD but if he is he can fight through it.
  • Cap is likely considerably faster.
  • Cap is much more skilled.

I'll breakdown the fight itself when you've presented a little more about Hellboy's abilities but for now, good luck!

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 the_red_viper  Moderator

@buildhare: Very nice opener. Will respond soon mate. :)

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 the_red_viper  Moderator

No Caption Provided

Round 2: Rebuttal

In your post, you suggested that Cap is more skilled and faster than Hellboy. Now, even if that's true (and I do not think that it is), the difference shouldn't be as large as the difference between Hellboy's and Cap's durability. In this post I will focus mostly on Hellboy's speed and skill but also elaborate further on his other properties.

Speed:

I will again bring up Hellboy's exchange with Kroenen that you have already seen in my first post. Here's the full scene. As you can see Hellboy matched Kroenen in speed. That is impressive because Kroenen is able to deflect bullets from close range and even redirect them at the shooters:

No Caption Provided

Kroenen then proceeded to blitz 5 more cops in as many seconds:

No Caption Provided

And as you have seen, Hellboy can absolutely contend with Kroenen. And I quite frankly think that in sheer combat speed, Kroenen is above Cap, judging by his insane bullet-timing feat.

Also, regarding Cap's feat of dodging a grenade: First of all, Cap wasn't trying to dodge it, he ducked behind his shield because Bucky was aiming his gun at him, and he didn't know the grenade was coming. Second, the grenade was aimed above him in the first place. It was fired by Black Widow - Cap's ally. She wasn't trying to hit Cap in the first place so there really wasn't anything to dodge.

Skill:

Skill is something that is comprised of many variables such as movement speed, reaction/combat speed, dexterity, agility, and many other things, and therefore it is very hard to quantify. Steve is undoubtedly extremely skilled overall thanks to his enhanced speed and reflexes as well as his extensive martial arts training as well as sheer experience. Hellboy's own skill, however, is nothing to scoff at and I firmly believe that in terms of raw skill alone, he can give Cap a good match at the very least.

First off, here's Hellboy's fight against Prince Nuada - a hundreds and maybe even thousands of years old elf warrior. Hellboy lost this, but he did match Prince Nuada in speed and in raw skill. What makes this especially impressive is the context: first of all, Hellboy was seriously holding back. As explained in 2:13, hurting him would also hurt his sister Princess Nuala, and Hellboy and co wanted to avoid that, and you can clearly notice that Hellboy barely even tried to fight back and was mostly busy in blocking and dodging. In addition, Hellboy was drunk. In 1:10 you can see that him and Abe are drinking together (they are seen drinking a lot more in previous scenes too), and in 1:44 just as the fight starts you can see Hellboy has trouble walking straight. So despite Hellboy's loss, this is a great showing of skill, speed and reflexes. In addition, it also shows more of his ability to use his RHOD as a shield. Here's a testament of Prince Nuada's own skill, where you can see him solo-stomping a large number of warriors with absolute ease. There's also this scene of Nuada training, and he displays great speed, agility, dexterity and precision.

There was a rematch between Hellboy and Nuada of course (and Hellboy was sober this time). As you can see, both Hellboy and Nuada display extremely impressive speed and skill here. Nuada is clearly extremely agile, and more so than Hellboy, and that still didn't save him. Hellboy even drew first blood (0:43). This fight also shows that Hellboy is a very intelligent fighter, and uses the environment for his advantage by riding the cogs and sneaking up on Nuada. Here's another video of the fight, that starts earlier down the scene. I post this here because I want you to see that Hellboy mentioned before the fight that he isn't going to kill the prince (again, to avoid killing the princess as well), so while he isn't holding back as much as he did in their first fight he still holds back quite a bit in this fight as well. If he hadn't, he could have won a lot faster.

Another thing to bring up is Hellboy's tail. His tail is, for all intents and purposes, an extra limb. He can use it very dexterously. As you can see here, Hellboy scales a hotel sign while holding a baby with his tail and evading the Forest God's devastating attacks. He can use it in a close quarters fight to grab Steve by the calf and trip him, for example. It's a very unpredictable method of attack and could be very effective. Also, if you watch the last video that I posted of Hellboy's fight against the Forest God, you can see that Hellboy himself is pretty agile and uses the environment very wisely and dexterously to his advantage.

Strength and durability:

The first thing to talk about is the good possibility of Hellboy tagging Cap with the Good Samaritan. I already talked about Cap "dodging" that grenade and why it isn't really a projectile-dodging feat, and to the best of my memory Cap doesn't have any solid bullet-dodging feats. He has his shield, of course, but what happens if he throws it like he very often does? He will remain unarmed and unable to protect himself from gunfire. As you have seen, TGS packs a heck of a punch, being able to shatter stone/marble pillars. It could very likely one-shot Cap. In addition, Hellboy can reload it very fast:

No Caption Provided

And he is also not limited to using it only in long- range. He can use it in close range too.

Example 1:

No Caption Provided

Example 2:

No Caption Provided

So, if Cap does throw his shield like he often does, he will be left open for a shot from TGS. In a close-quarters fight, if Hellboy gets a hold on Cap, he can line up a very easy point-blank shot as well. Moreover, even if Cap blocks shots with his shield, he can still be knocked back a bit or at least be slowed down by the sheer force of the impact, which is far greater than that of a normal gunshot.

In addition, Hellboy can use the environment, as you have seen in previous fights he often uses the environment intelligently in fights. He can shoot airplane engines or gas tanks to create explosions, or even pull off the same trick Cap did against Spider-Man here:

No Caption Provided

Hellboy's strength is most certainly good enough to hurt Cap. Here's one of Hellboy's better strength feats, where you can see that a very casual punch from Hellboy can stop a speeding car and send it flying several meters up in the air:

No Caption Provided

As another example, here he punches his way through a very thick stone floor:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

I agree that Hellboy landing a solid hit on Cap won't put him out of the fight, but it will most certainly deal some considerable damage. As you have seen Hellboy is fast and skilled enough to land multiple hits on Cap and that will put him out of the fight undoubtedly.

As for Hellboy's own durability, well as I said and you agreed, Cap will have a very, VERY hard time putting a hurt on him. Here's an even better example of his durability to seal the deal regarding blunt damage:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Above you can see Hellboy getting repeatedly slammed into marble floor by Sammael hard enough to create huge holes in it, then thrown across an entire room while going through several museum display boxes and out the window, and falling from a 4th/5th story window, and he's completely fine and gets back up immediately.

You said Cap is not limited to blunt force so I won't elaborate on Hellboy's resistance against other types of damage just yet.

Summary + Strategy:

When the fight starts Hellboy will immediately draw the Good Samaritan and fire at Cap. As long as Cap has the shield he can block the shots, but he will still be slowed down by the sheer force of the impact. Cap is very likely to throw his shield at Hellboy (which will be pretty useless as I will explain in the future if needed), and when he does, he will be left completely open for a killing shot. He isn't exactly a bullet-timer and Hellboy is a solid marksman, and can also strategically line up shots to use the environment to his advantage.

In hand to hand combat, Hellboy is fast and skilled enough to contend against Cap, strong enough to deal considerable damage to him and durable enough to tank any blunt force attack that Cap might dish out (as well as other types of attacks). Hellboy will use his tail to make Cap trip and fall, and he can also use the Good Samaritan in close range for an easy hit.

TL;DR:

• Hellboy is too durable to be put down fast enough by Cap.
  • Hellboy is strong enough to put a serious hurt on Cap.
  • Hellboy is fast and skilled enough to give Cap a run for his money.
  • The Good Samaritan is a great weapon and is powerful enough to potentially one-shot Cap.

Your move mate.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 the_red_viper  Moderator
the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 the_red_viper  Moderator

@buildhare: Good post, don't worry I will post my counter pretty quickly I think.

Doofasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

T4V please.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebcd5ad9fb95
deactivated-5ebcd5ad9fb95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5ad4cb41c7fb8
deactivated-5ad4cb41c7fb8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By the_red_viper  Moderator

No Caption Provided

Round 3: Second Rebuttal

Speed:

Based on what? Their entire fight consists of two exchanges. The first, where Kroenen has Hellboy purely on the defensive the entire time and still lands a hit (doing this despite being much, much weaker indicates he's clearly faster);

...and the second, where Kroenen makes no attempt to dodge;

...and is beaten into scrap. No part of that indicates that they're on the same level. The first exchange makes it pretty clear Kroenen is significantly faster than Hellboy, as he's able to keep him purely on the defensive (despite being physically much, much weaker) and still land a hit. The second exchange had nothing to do with comparable speed, instead Kroenen's skill level (choosing to try and block instead of continue to abuse his advantage). All of the hits Hellboy landed were a consequence of his mistake.

Kroenen is clearly faster than Hellboy, that is true, but not to the point where Hellboy is outclassed/overwhelmed. Steve isn't as fast as Kroenen, as I said and you agreed, which means that Hellboy will have an easier time exchanging blows with Steve than he had with Kroenen. Bear in mind, though, that against Kroenen, Hellboy used only one hand to block, because his other hand isn't as resistant against sharp objects as his invulnerable Right Hand of Doom. Against Cap, he doesn't have to worry much about this and will be able to use both hands to fight, which will give him an easier time than he had against Kroenen in addition to the fact that Kroenen is faster than Cap (I know you said Cap's shield is also a sharp weapon but I will get to this later).

Contending with someone would be fighting somewhat evenly, or at least landing strikes in return. Hellboy was able to defend himself for a time, which is not the same thing.

Fair enough, I was misusing the word "contend". What I meant to say was, that Hellboy matched Kroenen's speed. With one hand.

I definitely agree but Cap is clearly more skilled than Kroenen, which will allow him to put Hellboy on a similar level of defensiveness when he gets going. Albeit through a combination of skill and speed rather than just being fast as hell.

Yeah Cap is more skilled than Kroenen, but he doesn't have the same weapon that Kroenen has which forced Hellboy to be a lot more careful than he needs to be against Cap. Also, there's Prince Nuada, whose speed is closer to Cap's than Cap's is to Kroenen's, and Hellboy could match him blow for blow pretty fine even when holding back.

It's more obvious with the audio queue, he reacts to the sound of the launcher. Cap is completely shocked at this reveal, if not for Widow he wouldn't have reacted to Bucky at all, it's exactly what happened not 10 seconds before, except it's Falcon intervening not Widow;

The projectile is fired from behind and out of Cap's line of sight, as far as he is concerned it could be aimed at him. It could have been aimed at the sky and it would still be impressive, as the feat concerns Cap's ability to react to fast moving objects and move out of the way (or at least what he perceives as the way).

The projectile passed slightly over his shoulder but Cap was able to move his entire body out of the way before it reached him. If the projectile were fired from in front of him and the timing was questionable (i.e not sure if Cap actually reacted to the grenade launcher or he moved after and survived because it wasn't aimed at him) where Widow aimed would actually be important and you would have a solid case to discredit this feat, but as it is the projectile was fired from behind and he obviously moved after so you do not.

There are several factors that actually prove that Cap reacted to Bucky aiming the gun at him, and not to Widow firing the grenade.

1. Yeah Cap was in shock that is true, but that doesn't mean he would have just let Bucky shoot him in the face. He isn't just a battle-hardened veteran with keen warrior instincts, he also has superhuman reflexes. I don't think any amount of shock would have allowed him to forget his reflexes and training and just stand there like a fish in a barrel. Bucky had the gun up for less than a second before Falcon intervened, so Cap had pretty much no chance to react even with his enhanced senses, and in addition we don't even see whether Cap raised his shield or not because the camera is not on him.
  2. Here is the video (with the audio of course). Bucky raised his gun pretty much at the exact same moment as Natasha fired the grenade. It makes more sense that Cap reacted to Bucky aiming the gun, mostly because he ducked behind his shield while facing Bucky. If he were to react to a projectile coming from behind him, let alone something as dangerous as a grenade, he would have turned around so his shield faces the danger.
  3. Moreover, nobody was there except for Steve, Bucky and Natasha (well and Sam), and Steve knew that, so he had no reason to assume that the grenade was fired by a hostile. In fact, all the other hostiles in the scene were defeated by Cap and Sam, and Cap knew that Bucky was the only one left.
  4. Still, the grenade wasn't aimed at him. If Natasha's aim would have been off, she would have hit and killed Cap all the same, even if he did react to the sound of the grenade.
  5. All that being said, a bullet travels faster than a grenade. Reacting to a grenade is far from reacting to a bullet.

Bottom line of all this is, that while Cap is likely faster than Hellboy, the gap isn't big enough to make a real difference. Hellboy has contended with people whose speed is comparable to Cap's like Prince Nuada, and has also managed to match the speed of Kroenen who is faster than Cap with only one hand. If and when Cap throws his shield, he will be left open for a shot from the Good Samaritan, and he doesn't have what it takes to dodge it.

Shield VS Good Samaritan:

Cap throws his shield when it's smart to do so, he has never left himself open when someone could easily shoot him (with the exception of the Bucky reveal for obvious reasons);

Really he could have thrown his shield at this guy and gotten away with it, but he still perceived the threat and decided not to take an unnecessary risk by raising his shield anyway. Hellboy is no different, if anything Cap is going to be more cautious when fighting someone who looks as unusual as him.

That is only partially true. Cap does throw his shield a lot of times even against enemies who are armed with guns and similar weapons. For example, when he fought the Hydra agents here, he threw his shield at an armed enemy:

No Caption Provided

Also here, when he threw his shield at Loki (and he just witnessed Loki launch a potentially plane-busting shot from his scepter so he knew that it was dangerous):

No Caption Provided

And again, in the same fight:

No Caption Provided

And here, he threw his shield at a Chitauri soldier, leaving himself vulnerable to a shot from the Chitauri's weapons:

No Caption Provided

Also here, he threw it at Zemo. While it wasn't really Zemo but just a recording of him, Cap didn't know it, and for all he knew Zemo could have been there, armed and dangerous, and even still his first instinct was throwing the shield:

No Caption Provided

And those are just some examples off the top of my head, I am fairly certain I can find more if I look hard enough. Fact is, that Cap often throws his shield even against multiple opponents wielding long-ranged weapons. If he did it against Loki, who could fire plane-busting blasts, I don't think he would hesitate doing this against Hellboy, because for all he knows, the Good Samaritan is just a revolver, much less when their starting distance is so large and Cap has no ranged weapon to compensate for Hellboy's. He can take the shot when Hellboy is out of shots and has to reload, for example (that's what I would have done in his place at least). Also, Hellboy really doesn't look more unusual than the Chitauri, or Loki, or many other people that Cap has met over the years. More on this later as well.

Trying to use his gun in close quarters would be a mistake, better Marksmen then Hellboy have tried and failed;

It will not go any better for someone who is both slower and less accurate than TWS.

No question that Hellboy is not as good a marksman as Bucky, but c'mon, let's be real here, Bucky just very conveniently aimed straight at the shield. If he were to aim at Cap's legs he would have easily hit him. The shield has a clear flaw in the fact that once Cap ducks behind it, he can't see where the shooter is aiming his gun at, and an intelligent shooter will aim at Cap's legs or any other unprotected area of his body. I hate to say it but when people don't do it, especially people like Bucky who are cold-blooded killers and battle-hardened veterans, it's just PIS, to be completely honest.

This is what happens when bullets hit Cap's shield;

Fair enough, the bullets won't slow him down if they hit the shield.

I don't think you've posted an instance of him using the environment as intelligently as Cap has, although I doubt it's really relevant for either.

He has used the environment to his advantage on many occasions, in videos that I posted and in ones that I didn't. Examples:

1. Uses the cogs to sneak up on Nuada:

No Caption Provided

2. Uses the electric wire and the hotel sign to get to a vantage point against the Forest God:

No Caption Provided

3. Uses an electric rail to fry Sammael:

No Caption Provided

4. Uses a huge stone statue to crush the Tooth Fairies:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

5. Tricks Wink into trapping and killing himself (admittedly Wink is an idiot lol):

No Caption Provided

Now, these are just 5 examples and I can find more, but it is more than enough to prove that Hellboy is a very intelligent fighter who uses the environment wisely to his advantage very often. Now, in addition to that, there's Hellboy's abuse of his own durability. Hellboy is highly durable to practically any type of damage, and he knows it. He often does things that "hurt" him in order to win battles. For example, there's that time that I just now posted, when he used himself as a "human" conductor and let a powerful electric surge go right through himself in order to fry Sammael. Another example, was when he let the Ogdru-Jahad eat him so he can set off grenades inside his belly and kill him. Link here.

Judging by that, Hellboy won't really have a problem using the Good Samaritan to, say, blow up a gas tank or use any other form of environmental abuse against Steve, even if it means "hurting" himself in the process, because he knows that he can shake it off.

Now, regarding Steve's shield throw. I already talked about the fact that he very often throws his shield, even when he faces enemies with dangerous firearms/long-range weapons, and why he will very likely do so against Hellboy as well. Now, let me explain why it will be useless against Hellboy. The reason is simple - Hellboy can react to the shield and deflect or even catch it, like Loki did:

No Caption Provided

The reason I believe Hellboy can do it is because his reaction speed is very impressive. For example, he caught Sammael's tongue, with his back half-turned, from pretty close range:

No Caption Provided

And Sammael launches his tongue with enough force to go all the way through a dumpster, breaking through 2 layers of metal and all the garbage inside (which is a lot of force):

No Caption Provided

In addition there's also the time when he dodged Wink's chain-fist from very close range that I already posted above.

So, Cap will throw his shield like he does most of the time, Hellboy will react like he has shown that he can, and Cap will be left vulnerable for a shot with the Good Samaritan.

Durability:

I said putting him down will be hard, not hurting him. Cap can warp and damage steel and even phased mid tiers with the force of his strikes, keeping Hellboy staggered isn't the issue. We know he can keep Iron Man completely defenceless for an extended period by keeping him staggered;

..to the point he had to take away his own autonomy and get the suit to stomp Cap for him. He can do the same thing to Hellboy to a higher degree. Except unlike Tony he doesn't have any AI to fall back on, meaning that regardless of how long it takes he can keep it going until he's downed his foe.

No question that Cap is very strong, but Hellboy has gone blow for blow against stronger opponents, such as Sammael and Wink. Sammael has put a hole in a concrete wall by throwing Hellboy at it as you have seen:

No Caption Provided

And he can also warp and damage steel just like Cap with absolute ease:

No Caption Provided

and Hellboy has dealt with him on even grounds.

Wink is strong enough to punch Hellboy across an alley, and he even goes through and shatters a stone arc on his way, shaking it off with only a bloody nose:

No Caption Provided

And Hellboy matched him in pure striking strength:

No Caption Provided

Heck, Hellboy's head was repeatedly run over by a train and got back up immediately:

No Caption Provided

So no, even keeping Hellboy staggered will be an extremely difficult task, and above Cap's capabilities.

Regarding Iron Man, well that is something else entirely. Tony himself is not a particularly skilled fighter and is completely helpless when he has to resort to pure hand to hand up against a fighter like Steve (his AI told him "you can't beat him hand to hand"). Which is why he let the suit take over for him. In addition the suit was pretty banged up from the ongoing fight already. Hellboy on the other hand is a very skilled fighter and can react and fight evenly with other skilled fighters. Also, in that particular blitz, Steve didn't really do much to Iron Man other than keeping him pinned down. Iron Man mainly let himself get hit until his suit analyzed Cap's fighting style and rhythm so it could react. Iron Man has taken hits from Thor, it's not like Cap can really do much to him by himself with pure blunt force. Bottom line is, that Steve didn't really hurt Iron Man, he just kept him pinned down because Tony himself has no skill to speak of. Hellboy on the other hand does have skill, and will not be overwhelmed as easily as Tony by a flurry of punches.

That's right, the side of Cap's shield can be used to cut instead of bash;

I've seen you argue that Hellboy may have superhuman piercing durability but that's still pretty irrelevant, given Cap can still lodge his shield the better part of a foot in people who shrug off this;

Not really. That isn't piercing damage, it's still blunt damage, just with a lot of force behind it. A blunt object swung with enough force can penetrate like a sharp object would. Here's an example, and while it has nothing to do with either Hellboy or Cap directly, it still demonstrates what I mean by this perfectly. A blunt mallet swung with a lot of force behind it penetrates a man's head like an axe:

No Caption Provided

For more relevant examples, you have Sammael's tongue completely penetrating the dumpster as I posted above like a bullet, and it is evident that Sammael's tongue isn't sharp in the slightest:

No Caption Provided

As another example, Sammael punches a hole through a steel door, then cleaves through it as if his arm was a knife, even though it isn't a sharp weapon:

No Caption Provided

And Hellboy has taken punches from Sammael just fine as you know well enough:

No Caption Provided

Regarding resistance against actual sharp weapons, Hellboy does have superhuman resistance, but not on the absurd caliber of his resistance to blunt force or most energy related attacks.

For example, the Tooth Fairies could strip a man's skin off in less than a minute:

No Caption Provided

But they couldn't do anything to Hellboy:

No Caption Provided

There's also Hellboy's fight against Kroenen. His RHOD no-sold Kroenen's stone-slicing blades completely, and other than that the only thing that Kroenen did to Hellboy was a small scratch on the nose:

No Caption Provided

And judging by the fact that Hellboy's head went completely sideways, it is evident that if he didn't have resistance to sharp weapons, the blade would have gone all the way through his nose and his injury would have been far more severe.

So even if Cap's shield was sharp, that would have been irrelevant because Hellboy can either completely block it with his RHOD, and even if he is tagged then worst case scenario he would just take a small flesh wound. But Cap's shield isn't sharp to begin with so that is irrelevant.

The only real doubt you could cast over this strategy is that Cap normally holds back and doesn't cut his human foes in half. Which is easily countered by the fact that Hellboy seems as similar to a human as the Chitauri did and Cap had absolutely no issue cutting off their limbs and killing them with his shield. The fact Hellboy might give him some snappy banter should grant him a little time before Cap starts using these kind of tactics, but someone who looks like the Devil and hits like a truck isn't going to get a whole lot of leeway.

Now that is not very true. Cap personally knows a human who has a red skull for a face, a human who turns into a giant green monster when he's angry, a human who can shrink to microscopic size and grow as large as a giant, a human who dresses as a spider, a human who dresses as a panther, an android that can fly and turn intangible that looks a lot like a human, two humans who wear flying robotic armor suits, two mutants and two Norse gods. Do you really think Hellboy is going to rustle his jimmies? As far as he is concerned, Hellboy is just a human in some weird red suit, it's not the most far-fetched thing that he would have witnessed really, far from it. Hellboy acts like a human, he talks like a human, he is dressed like a human, he uses the same weapons as a human and he has human-like hair and beard, Cap will most likely think that Hellboy is either a human who went through some deforming experiment like Red Skull or a mutant maybe. With the Chitauri, Cap knew for fact that they were hostile aliens, and not only that - they were actively putting millions of innocent civilians' lives at mortal risk. The option to fight with morals and non-lethal force was just nonexistent against them. In this battle, it's just 1v1, Cap versus Hellboy, nobody else around. I don't think Cap will abandon his boyscout morals. He didn't abandon his morals when fighting against Iron Man and he can hit at least as hard as Hellboy, not against Bucky who doesn't hit as hard as Hellboy but still hits pretty damn hard, and was actively trying to kill him, Sam and Natasha while putting dozens of civilians at risk.

All that being said, chances are that Cap will throw and lose his shield as I explained already very early on, so all of the above is probably irrelevant.

Skill - Hellboy VS Nuada compared to Cap VS Loki:

I don't think you should use age as a feat as we don't know what went on. We know he spent much of that time in exile so why he may have trained we know nothing about any fighting experience he may have gained. With that said we know that Cap pretty heavily out skills Loki (and did so to prolong their fight despite not physically matching) despite the fact that he is confirmed to haven bee alive for at least a millennium.

I didn't really use it as a feat per se, just as a bit of background on Nuada and maybe a bit of "hype" so to speak, but that being said Loki punked Cap with a lot more ease than Nuada did Hellboy. And Loki was completely toying with Cap in here. I mean, we're talking about Loki "I'm a god and you are ants" Laufeyson. Especially evident when he put the butt of the scepter to Cap's head and told him to kneel (2:09). Also, Cap and Loki are pretty equal physically, I don't think that Loki has had any strength feats that Cap couldn't replicate and even surpass. They started "officially" fighting in 1:50:

No Caption Provided

And Cap was officially defeated in 2:07:

No Caption Provided

He got up again in 2:10 but was defeated yet again at 2:17:

No Caption Provided

So it took Loki 24 seconds overall to grow bored with toying with Cap and defeat him twice (17 seconds first exchange, 7 seconds second exchange).

While in Hellboy's first fight with Prince Nuada, when he was holding back as well as drunk, they started "officially" fighting in 2:18, and Nuada won in 2:26:

No Caption Provided

He got up again at 2:44:

No Caption Provided

And the fight stopped (without Hellboy officially losing) in 3:10:

No Caption Provided

So it took Prince Nuada 8 seconds to defeat a drunk, holding back and over-confident Hellboy, and shortly after that Hellboy lasted another 24 seconds against him without being defeated.

So while I wasn't planning to bring up the Loki fight, it's actually less impressive than Hellboy's fight against Nuada. So thanks for bringing it up lol.

Summary on this comparison to make this mess clearer:

• Both fights involved our characters losing to their respective enemies rather quickly.
  • Both our characters got up after being defeated and fought back again.
  • The enemies of both our characters possessed centuries of experience.
  • Cap and Loki are pretty comparable in physicals, and while Hellboy is stronger than Nuada the gap is not extremely big, judging by the fact that Nuada could send Hellboy flying across the room and have him crash a large table (2:47).
  • Hellboy's second exchange against Nuada by itself is as long as both exchanges Cap had against Loki, and while Cap was defeated by Loki in both exchanges, Hellboy wasn't officially beaten by Nuada in the second exchange.
  • Hellboy was holding back against Nuada, he was over-confident at the start, and he was also drunk to the point that he could barely walk straight. On the other hand, Cap was not holding back, he was not being over-confident and he was not drunk.
  • Bottom line - Hellboy's showings against Nuada are more impressive than Cap's showings against Loki, and that's not even counting Hellboy's rematch with Nuada which is even better.

Skill - general:

He didn't at all. Try to explain this fight with context if you like but he was obviously outmatched in both of these areas by a considerable margin;

He was outmatched, but by a very small margin, and again remember he was holding back, he was drunk and he was over-confident. The context here is very important.

He was briefly able to defend himself as he did Kroenen, then was downed and had a blade to his throat. Assuming Nuada wanted to kill him that fight would have been over within a couple of seconds, and isn't at all as you describe it above. I guess you could argue that Hellboy wasn't taking him seriously based on his initial banter but even after he knows this guy is legit and his life is in danger he does just as badly;

Except you neglected their second exchange that started right after the GIF you posted, in which Hellboy lasted pretty long, and while he wasn't in an arrogant mindset as he was at the start he was still drunk and holding back, and he didn't even really lose, they just stopped fighting at some point and then Nuada just blindsided him after Hellboy was distracted by Liz.

He does improve as the fight goes on but there's not a single point Nuada isn't toying with him.

Nuada wasn't toying with him. Toying with him would be dancing circles around him for sport. Nuada didn't kill Hellboy so he can have leverage to make Nuala give him the crown piece, he had no reason to toy with him. Toying is what Loki did to Cap, he could have killed him but he wanted to humiliate him and told him to kneel with his scepter at Cap's head because he is just that much of an arrogant bastard as we all know.

Maybe he didn't hear Abe because he does try to fight back;

It's just that Nuada either avoided his attacks or had him on the back-foot so he couldn't do anything

Well he clearly did hear it because as soon as the fight starts he says "You have got to be kidding me" (2:20). I can count all the punches that Hellboy threw at Nuada on one hand really, while at their rematch Hellboy was actively fighting back on complete even ground and even drew first blood. That serves to prove how important the context of their first fight really was.

Cap has done similar in less time;

That is different. Here, Cap was tremendously outclassing these Hydra operatives in any possible physical category due to being a super-soldier and them being average humans. The soldiers that Nuada fought were elves just like him and he didn't have the advantage of outclassing them in all physical stats. He stomped them with speed and skill alone, while Cap had the stat advantage to ragdoll and one-shot all of those Hydra operatives with his enhanced speed and strength. If these were all super-soldiers then it could have been somewhat comparable, even though Nuada was facing a lot more enemies in his fight, but that isn't the case. We have seen Cap struggling with even one enemy who rivals him in pure physical stats (Loki/Bucky).

In addition to replicating his best showings Cap has held off against foes out of his league before by virtue of just skill, Nuada doesn't really line up to him in that regard.

If you're talking about Loki, then he doesn't really outclass Cap physically and he still stomped him. If you're talking about Tony at the end of Civil War, then it was a 2v1 really, because Bucky was just as much a part of the fight as Cap was. It was a joint effort and without Bucky, Cap would not have lasted very long. And although Cap did blitz Tony at some point thanks to having greater skill and Tony's suit being pretty banged up at that point, he didn't really deal any real damage to him by doing that, he just kept him pinned down.

I'm confused as to how it could be presented as this. Hellboy was trying to defend himself, couldn't land a hit and got stomped by someone who was obviously more skilled and faster to the point he could toy with him, it may be due to Hellboy being drunk but it's in no way a great showing of any of those things.

As explained and proven above, that fight had every possible factor going against Hellboy, and he still managed to hold his own for longer than Cap did against Loki under much better conditions. He was holding back and barely tried to even fight back, he was heavily drunk, and again, like he did against Kroenen, he could only use one hand to block, while against Cap he can use both hands just fine.

Hellboy seemed about as surprised by this as Nuada did.

Well for all I care he's welcome to look surprised after he beats Cap too, lol.

I don't think him holding back means he could have won a lot faster at all, given Nuada seemed to be doing the same thing he did in their first fight again (albeit not as severely) for a lot of the fight. When Hellboy seems to be getting the advantage;

It does, though. The cut he gave Nuada on the forearm could have been aimed to the throat. He didn't even utilize his strength advantage because he was holding back, if he wasn't he could have just grabbed him and beat his face into muck like he did Kroenen or throw him under the cogs to have him crushed to death. Heck, he could have just pulled the Good Samaritan and shot him. In fact, he was going to do just that when they first met, before he learned about the special connection between Nuada and Nuala:

No Caption Provided

He didn't have the chance to shoot him though because Nuada unleashed the Forest God right after that which was a much more pressing matter.

Hellboy was very limited in this fight, while Nuada was not holding back the slightest. In fact, he was very annoyed by the fact that Hellboy challenged him for the right to command the Golden Army, as seen here. While it is true that Nuada is more agile than Hellboy, their speed is equal and their skill is almost equal as well, as seen here for example:

No Caption Provided

Hellboy even put him on the defensive for quite a while (around 20 consecutive seconds. Watch the GIFs one after the other, they show those 20 consecutive seconds in 2 halves):

Nuada disarms him. When Hellboy has to fight him straight for more than a few seconds;

My point is that although he definitely did better than in their first fight he was still out-matched when it came to actually fighting him. The fact he ultimately won doesn't discredit that statement either, as he didn't beat him by outfighting him;

Except you're acting as if Nuada utterly stomped him, which isn't the case. They were perfectly even on speed and almost perfectly even on skill, evident by the fact that Hellboy was the one to draw first blood and even put Nuada on the back foot for a prolonged period of time. Nuada ultimately managed to disarm Hellboy due to having an ever so slight skill advantage (which is also arguable due to the fact Hellboy was still holding back a bit), which forced Hellboy to play defensive, because Nuada had a major reach advantage with that long spear of his, and one misstep could mean being stabbed again. Steve doesn't have the privilege of wielding a magical spear and has no reach advantage on Hellboy whatsoever, so Hellboy will not be forced to play defensive. He will be able to brawl with Steve just like he did more than once against Sammael and like he did against Wink, the former being stronger than Cap and the latter being about as strong as Cap.

He beat Nuada because he outsmarted him. It's a good showing for using his surroundings and cunning but it doesn't mean he's any closer to Nuada than he is in any of the gif's I've posted so far.

Yeah, he outsmarted him, which works in my favor because I argued that he can also use his cunning to beat Cap via environmental abuse. And while it's true that in your GIFs Hellboy was put on the back foot by Nuada, that is just nitpicking because throughout the video it is evident that they are almost perfectly equal in skill, and some moments that highlight this fact are shown in the GIFs that I posted.

In any case, Nuada had advantages that Cap doesn't have. He had a superior weapon (at least it's more ideal against Hellboy specifically than Cap's shield is), he had reach advantage and Hellboy had to hold back against him. On the other hand, Cap and Nuada are both equal or almost equal in speed and skill, and as I proved, Hellboy and Nuada are just about equal in those categories as well. However, I am willing to concede an ever so slight advantage to Cap in speed and skill, but it is really a very small advantage that does not compensate for the huge gap Hellboy has over Cap in strength, durability, and mindset (Hellboy is willing to kill while Steve isn't).

Now that the Nuada fights are discussed through and through, it's time to show some more skill feats by Hellboy.

Hellboy is very skilled in gracious and fancy dojo-esque martial arts like he demonstrated against Nuada, but he is also a skilled brawler, and can utilize some sweet moves and grapples even against foes that are bigger than him, like Wink:

No Caption Provided

Another example is here where he countered Sammael's punch into breaking his arm:

No Caption Provided

He is also pretty agile himself. Here is his fight against the Golden Army, in which Hellboy and his allies were completely surrounded, and Hellboy evades all of the Golden Army automations, jumping on their backs, sliding on the floor, and just generally being awesome and showing great skills and agility. Some highlights:

Here Hellboy slides on the floor between some automations' legs, shooting them to bits with the Good Samaritan and evading them completely:

No Caption Provided

After that he runs toward one of the automations while evading some others, jumps on its back, evades some more strikes and finishes it off with a gunshot:

No Caption Provided

After Johann gives him an arm he ripped away from one of the automations, Hellboy uses it as a weapon while evading some more automations and displaying some nice moves:

No Caption Provided

The whole video is impressive, these are just some highlights that I personally like, so watch the whole thing.

Also, other than all that, there's still Hellboy's tail that he can use as an additional sneaky limb, that you didn't address.

Summary:

• Cap has not shown enough strength to put Hellboy down. Hellboy has no-sold hits from opponents whose strength is comparable or superior to Cap's like Wink and Sammael, and has even been run over repeatedly by a train and got back up immediately with no visible damage. Really, the only reactions he ever made to being hurt with far more blunt force than Cap can dish out are making comments like "ouch" or "damn" and then getting back up immediately like nothing happened. Opponents like Wink and Sammael have inflicted on Hellboy no more damage than small bruises. Even piercing damage (or "pseudo-piercing" damage) takes far less effect on Hellboy than it does other people. As seen by Kroenen's blades that can cut through stone like butter but left only a small and totally negligible cut on Hellboy, or Sammael's fist that can rip through metal doors but did not cut Hellboy.
  • Hellboy is stronger than Cap, and stronger than Cap's usual opponents, and each hit will take a heavy toll on Cap.
  • Cap is very likely to throw his shield at Hellboy. Hellboy can react to that and that will leave Cap vulnerable to a shot from the Good Samaritan. There's no reason to assume Cap's shield-throw travels with more velocity than Wink's fist that can ragdoll even people like Hellboy himself, or Sammael's tongue that can pierce a dumpster from one end to another which is probably more powerful than a bullet.
  • The Good Samaritan is a lot more powerful than a regular gun and is able to one-shot Cap if it hits.
  • Cap is not a bullet timer, not even a grenade-launcher timer, and while Hellboy isn't exactly Deadshot he is a solid enough marksman to tag Cap after he throws the shield.
  • Hellboy is smart enough to use his surroundings in order to win. He consistently takes advantage of his insane durability to finish off his opponent while "hurting" himself.
  • Hellboy has the speed and skill to contend with Cap, since he contended with Prince Nuada while holding back, and Nuada's skill and speed are about as good as Cap's, and also Nuada had additional advantages over Hellboy that Cap does not have. Their first fight was highly circumstantial yet still depicts a bit of Hellboy's skill and speed, but their second encounter showed that they truly are pretty much equals despite Hellboy still not going all-out against him. Nuada did have a small advantage in speed and skill but it was very close nevertheless and Hellboy even drew first blood.
  • Hellboy is willing to kill while Cap's morals are iffy and inconsistent.
  • Cap's shield isn't really a sharp weapon, so it will not be able to take more of a toll on Hellboy than Sammael or Wink did. Even if it was a sharp weapon, Hellboy can block it with his Right Hand of Doom that no-sold Kroenen's blades, and he is also highly resistant to sharp weapons in general, not to mention that Cap will probably throw and lose his shield pretty early on anyway.

Your move mate. Good luck!

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 the_red_viper  Moderator
reaverlation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm loving this CaV

Xerolot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

t4v

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would read this CaV. Tag me.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 the_red_viper  Moderator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 the_red_viper  Moderator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lubub55: At least I hope he won't run away on me like @nickzambuto did =P

That guy's the worst. Never finishes CaVs because he knows he'll lose when it comes to voting.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 the_red_viper  Moderator
buildhare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Khael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hahaha good one.

Didn't think this was a fair match-up.

I still don't.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 the_red_viper  Moderator
buildhare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 the_red_viper  Moderator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buildhare: Jesus, stop taking so long. It's really irritating for your opponent when you take so long to get up a CaV post. I've been waiting about a week for my CaV opponent to post and I can't stand it. You have no idea what it's like, so just don't be like that.

buildhare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By buildhare

@the_red_viper:

Final counters

No Caption Provided

Cap's Morals & Cutting with the Shield

Hellboy is willing to kill while Cap isn't.

No Caption Provided

These people are all definitely dead or will die as an immediate consequence of Cap's actions;

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

These are just a few of the obvious kills (on humans), given how hard Cap can strike with his fists and shield a large portion of his enemies are almost certainly killed when he hits them.

Captain America is a soldier, he's not bloodthirsty by any means but he has absolutely no issue with killing his enemies. Even if you want to argue he won't treat Hellboy like he's treated other non-human foes in the past (i.e cutting off arms, bisecting) he will definitely be willing to kill him based on the fact that;

Hellboy is willing to kill

...meaning Hellboy get's exactly as much moral leeway as those in the gif's above, none.

Not really. That isn't piercing damage, it's still blunt damage, just with a lot of force behind it. A blunt object swung with enough force can penetrate like a sharp object would.

It still wouldn't penetrate in the same way a sharp object would, it might cave in the object but it wouldn't properly cut it. I can see how from a glance you might not recognise the Ultron instance as the latter but there are recorded instances of Steve slashing through objects like cables;

No Caption Provided

...and even Spider-Man's webs;

No Caption Provided

These are important (especially the Spider-Man instance) because rope like materials give. They aren't the same as breaking through steel because when hit with a blunt object they should go with it rather than be sliced in half. The cables in the elevator are taut, so cutting them is less impressive, but being able to sheer clean through them in one movement is definitely indicative of a slash, rather than blunt force. The same goes for the Chitarui arm sever. Later on you post examples of Hellboy breaking Sammels arm, that should give you a good idea of what blunt force does to a limb. Regardless of how hard you punch you're not going to cut it clean in half like Cap did. Sound effects have also been used that would suggest it's a cutting tool. That's essentially stock audio for cutting it's that obvious.

Cap is undeniably willing to kill, especially against tough, inhuman foes like Hellboy. Combined with the fact that his shield can and has cut rather than just bashed many times he is fully capable of maiming or killing Hellboy with a good strike.

Cap will not struggle to hurt him with blunt force

No question that Cap is very strong, but Hellboy has gone blow for blow against stronger opponents, such as Sammael and Wink. Sammael has put a hole in a concrete wall by throwing Hellboy at it as you have seen:

Not debating Sammael is stronger but that's hardly relevant, he didn't once struggle to hurt Hellboy. Cap being physically weaker than him doesn't mean he is incapable of doing it. Wink is a little above Cap's level without the shield, and has inferior striking with it. Again, him being able to hurt Hellboy doesn't mean Cap can't.

Heck, Hellboy's head was repeatedly run over by a train and got back up immediately:

This isn't as impressive as you're making it sound. It's Hellboy raising his head and being hit by the bottom of the subway car (which from a quick google seem to move slower than cars). It's a decent feat but what you're describing sounds much closer to something like what Rami Spider-Man did (actually being hit full on by a train) which isn't comparable as one was only hit by a part of the train where the other met the full force and mass of an oncoming locomotive.

So no, even keeping Hellboy staggered will be an extremely difficult task, and above Cap's capabilities.

This is quite a leap from what you've presented. The best feat listed was the train showing, and people Cap has already hurt have done better;

No Caption Provided

Regarding Iron Man, well that is something else entirely. Tony himself is not a particularly skilled fighter and is completely helpless when he has to resort to pure hand to hand up against a fighter like Steve (his AI told him "you can't beat him hand to hand").

Skill has nothing to do with it. If Iron Man was so durable he was unable to be hurt by Cap (as you claim Hellboy is), what would he have to fear? It wouldn't matter how exceptional Steve was if he was entirely unable to stagger his opponent.

In addition the suit was pretty banged up from the ongoing fight already.

It's thrusters, repulsors...nothing to do with how it can handle damage.

Hellboy on the other hand is a very skilled fighter and can react and fight evenly with other skilled fighters.

He has failed to do so in the past, no reason he shouldn't do it here again against someone superior to them.

Also, in that particular blitz, Steve didn't really do much to Iron Man other than keeping him pinned down.

Against a much easier to seriously hurt Hellboy, that's all Cap needs to do.

Iron Man mainly let himself get hit until his suit analyzed Cap's fighting style and rhythm so it could react.

He had to analyse his fighting style because he was getting his ass kicked, this is not someone letting themselves get hit;

No Caption Provided

Iron Man has taken hits from Thor,

A weakened Thor, important part starts at 2:25. Iron Man's suit offers little to no resistance against Thor normally;

No Caption Provided

Iron Man is not Thor level in any sense (compare Tony needing the Hulkbuster to fight against Banner vs Thor doing it bare-knuckled). Cap has hurt other people on the same level (Ultron, War Machine) so it's not like it's an inconsistency either.

Bottom line is, that Steve didn't really hurt Iron Man, he just kept him pinned down because Tony himself has no skill to speak of.

Batman is infinitely more skilled than Superman. Skills are nothing without the strength to support them, Cap had the needed strength to stagger Iron Man.

Hellboy on the other hand does have skill, and will not be overwhelmed as easily as Tony by a flurry of punches.

He's more skilled but less durable (see any of the above) and slower (Iron Man dodging tank shells and shooting arrows during the airport fight), he's still coming into this in a worse position than Tony was.

Ignoring the mid tiers for a second, even MCU Spider-Man is more durable than Hellboy at this point. He's survived hits from Giant-Man, buildings collapsing on top of him, hits that could flip buses and big falls (especially in the final act of homecoming). Cap didn't struggle to hurt him at all, both with his shield and with his fists. Hellboy's durability is extremely impressive, but it's by no means a win condition here, given how extensive and impressive feats are against people who are just as or considerably more durable than him.

Cap has no chance of being caught out by the good Samaritan

That is only partially true. Cap does throw his shield a lot of times even against enemies who are armed with guns and similar weapons.

Which is not what I said. I said;

Cap throws his shield when it's smart to do so, he has never left himself open when someone could easily shoot him

Every instance you went on to use as proof he's going to give his shield up and let himself be shot...was smart use of throwing his shield. The armed Hydra soldier was instantly incapacitated after being hit with the shield, Cap was at no risk throwing it and he obviously knew that.

The Loki example has him use the shield to both draw attention back to him (instead of the Quinjet/Widow) and stagger him to close the distance, immediately recovering the shield. The second throw in that fight is desperation, Cap had just failed to get any kind of meaningful result from his first trade of blows and used his most powerful attack. Even if Hellboy could intercept it like Loki did (he can't) he'd be busy doing that while Cap rushes him, which is exactly what he did to Loki.

And here, he threw his shield at a Chitauri soldier, leaving himself vulnerable to a shot from the Chitauri's weapons:

I'd say this is the least valid. The Chitauri had an explosive in the same room as a large group of hostages, pretty obvious Cap isn't going to take his time eliminating that threat.

Also here, he threw it at Zemo. While it wasn't really Zemo but just a recording of him, Cap didn't know it, and for all he knew Zemo could have been there, armed and dangerous, and even still his first instinct was throwing the shield:

Zemo was behind a bunker window (I don't think it was a recording) and obviously unarmed, he isn't a threat and obviously doesn't warrant the same kind of caution Hellboy does. You will not find many, if any throws, that can't be justified as a smart move. Certainly nothing that is consistent with how he's been portrayed overall.

If he did it against Loki, who could fire plane-busting blasts, I don't think he would hesitate doing this against Hellboy, because for all he knows, the Good Samaritan is just a revolver, much less when their starting distance is so large and Cap has no ranged weapon to compensate for Hellboy's.

The difference is Cap had a reason to throw his shield at Loki, and was in a position to get it back the instant after he threw it. Cap may be too far away to close in before Hellboy has recovered (although I doubt it), he has no reason to take that risk when he can do exactly what he did against the mercenaries in TWS and again in Civil War and use his shield while he runs.

No question that Hellboy is not as good a marksman as Bucky, but c'mon, let's be real here, Bucky just very conveniently aimed straight at the shield.

Bucky in his Hydra mindset was trying to kill Cap and couldn't make those shots. Cap is constantly moving his shield to protect from new angles, if it were that easy Bucky would have gotten him.

If he were to aim at Cap's legs he would have easily hit him.

And yet. You agree Bucky is better than Hellboy, Bucky couldn't tag Cap (mostly) due to the latters skills at defending himself. Whether or not you think that should happen in real life is irrelevant.

The shield has a clear flaw in the fact that once Cap ducks behind it, he can't see where the shooter is aiming his gun at, and an intelligent shooter will aim at Cap's legs or any other unprotected area of his body.

Why would he properly duck behind his shield? Normally he just moves it to change with the angle;

No Caption Provided

He doesn't need to have his head inside of his shield to be protected if the gunmen isn't aiming there.

I hate to say it but when people don't do it, especially people like Bucky who are cold-blooded killers and battle-hardened veterans, it's just PIS, to be completely honest.

Take it up with Feige then. What you are saying would mean that every time Cap has not been shot it's BS, meaning he would have been dead several times over by this point. It's core to his character to be that good with his shield. If you think the entirety of his fictional character is PIS then we shouldn't have bothered having this debate.

Now, regarding Steve's shield throw. I already talked about the fact that he very often throws his shield, even when he faces enemies with dangerous firearms/long-range weapons, and why he will very likely do so against Hellboy as well. Now, let me explain why it will be useless against Hellboy. The reason is simple - Hellboy can react to the shield and deflect or even catch it, like Loki did:

Compare that to Loki's speed;

No Caption Provided

You can argue Hellboy is faster than most give him credit for, but none of his feats are remotely impressive compared to what Loki has. Loki, War Machine and Iron Man all have two things in common. Firstly, they're all significantly faster than Hellboy is reflexively. Secondly, Cap has tagged every single one of them with a shield throw. Hellboy isn't intercepting it.

The reason I believe Hellboy can do it is because his reaction speed is very impressive. For example, he caught Sammael's tongue, with his back half-turned, from pretty close range:

Okay, but to expand on how fast the other two are;

Shoots arrow out of air, not facing it to start with
Shoots arrow out of air, not facing it to start with
Iron Man 3 Prelude Pt 1
Iron Man 3 Prelude Pt 1

Hellboy is faster than he looks, but catching a tongue is not in the same league as these people. There's no reason he should be able to react to the shield when they didn't.

Cap v Loki >>> Hellboy v Nuada

Bottom line - Hellboy's showings against Nuada are more impressive than Cap's showings against Loki, and that's not even counting Hellboy's rematch with Nuada which is even better.

This;

No Caption Provided

Is not more impressive than this in any sense;

No Caption Provided

Cap was able to contend with his opponent and get licks in, and when put at a disadvantage was able to get himself out of it. Hellboy couldn't touch Nuada, tried to escape the blade at his throat and instead of getting back into it like Cap does here, continues to be toyed with. That's irrelevant any way though, as there are almost no similarities between the Loki/Cap fight and Hellboy/Nuada. Nuada is faster and more skilled (more agile too but he didn't show it much there) than Hellboy, that's it. Despite the fact that Hellboy is much, much more powerful physically he stomped him due to his speed and skill.

Loki is much stronger than Cap, much more durable, faster and while not on the same level as Steve extremely skilled in his own right, perhaps even more skilled than Nuada;

No Caption Provided

Loki had every advantage in that match-up to stomp Cap, including better gear.

To put it plainly;

1. Hellboy got stomped by an opponent he outclassed in several areas due to Nuada only being more skilled and faster than Hellboy was
  2. Cap got manhandled by someone who had every advantage over him except skill, in most areas by a lot

One character is trying to beat someone who is overall beneath them and losing, the other is someone punching a couple of tiers up and justifiably losing.

Cap and Loki are pretty equal physically

They aren't;

Is able to hurt Thor consistently
Is able to hurt Thor consistently
Cap would be very much dead after that
Cap would be very much dead after that

Speed is their closest physical stat and Loki is still better. Loki is significantly better than Cap physically, contending with him through skill is much more impressive than getting curbstomped by Nuada, even if Hellboy was intoxicated.

I don't think that Loki has had any strength feats that Cap couldn't replicate and even surpass.

Loki has few lifting feats. We know how strong he is based on who he's hurt.

Speed Disparity and Skill Gap

Speed

Cap is not a bullet timer, not even a grenade-launcher timer, and while Hellboy isn't exactly Deadshot he is a solid enough marksman to tag Cap after he throws the shield.

You don't need to be a bullet timer to be considerably faster than Hellboy is. This;

not even a grenade-launcher timer

..is demonstrably false even if we ignore the grenade launcher dodge on the highway;

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

I think it's reaching to paint the original grenade launcher dodge as anything but legitimate but ultimately it doesn't matter whether or not you consider it to be, he has reacted to them on a couple of separate instances.

Hellboy has the speed to contend with Cap, since he contended with Prince Nuada while holding back, and Nuada's speed are about as good as Cap's,

The grenade launcher instances are his best quantifiable speed feats but they aren't really his best, those would be related to the people he has fought. Black Panther is a very casual arrow timer, yet Cap was able to keep pace and avoid or block all of his strikes;

No Caption Provided

Loki was able to do this;

No Caption Provided

...and Cap was able to fight him just fine with regards to speed. You can say this;

Hellboy has contended with people whose speed is comparable to Cap's like Prince Nuada

...but the feats just aren't there. Cap has kept up with casual arrow timers (or better) in combat and dodged fast moving projectiles consistently. The only area Nuada even has the feats to base an argument on is combat speed and Cap is still clearly better in that regard (9 people in 9 seconds is better than taking a while with guards, even if they may seem incompetent). Hellboy is even worse off because his best speed feat is being clearly slower then him, having no reaction feats to compare to Cap and no combat speed showings on par (or close to) Cap's. If you had shown Hellboy doing even Steve's low end stuff like this;

No Caption Provided

It would make sense to argue the gap isn't too big, but you didn't because Hellboy doesn't have those kind of showings. It's definitely a closer category than the next one but he's definitively slower than Steve.

Skill

Nuada wasn't toying with him.

You have repeated this but given your own definition;

Toying with him would be dancing circles around him for sport.

...that's exactly what he did;

This is not a position he could have continued fighting from, Nuada let him.
This is not a position he could have continued fighting from, Nuada let him.

He was outmatched, but by a very small margin,

You've already reduced the lowness of this showing by repeating that context matters and Hellboy was drunk. Fine. Having said that why pretend that their first encounter was anything more than a one sided stomp? If your opponent has a blade to your throat, allows you stand and fight back, stomps you back into the same position, and allows you to stand and fight before immediately stomping you again, he is toying with you.

That is different. Here, Cap was tremendously outclassing these Hydra operatives in any possible physical category due to being a super-soldier and them being average humans. The soldiers that Nuada fought were elves just like him and he didn't have the advantage of outclassing them in all physical stats. He stomped them with speed and skill alone, while Cap had the stat advantage to ragdoll and one-shot all of those Hydra operatives with his enhanced speed and strength.

This would be a good point if Nuada was unarmed and forced to fist fight physical equals. As it was he had bladed weapons and was in a position to one shot them just easily as Cap, the difference is he was slower about it.

We have seen Cap struggling with even one enemy who rivals him in pure physical stats (Loki/Bucky).

Ignoring Loki (because he really isn't Cap's peer) Bucky is able to contend with Cap so well because of his own formidable skills and gear. A better example of what you're getting at here are Ultron bots (physical rivals with little skill), which are fodder to Cap;

No Caption Provided

Definitely high level fodder, but more than just similar physicals are needed to rival Steve.

It was a joint effort and without Bucky, Cap would not have lasted very long.

Overall, sure. H2H? Tony was told he couldn't beat him outright.

Except you're acting as if Nuada utterly stomped him, which isn't the case.

Outmatched/=/stomped. He was clearly worse but he was still able to fight.

They were perfectly even on speed and almost perfectly even on skill, evident by the fact that Hellboy was the one to draw first blood and even put Nuada on the back foot for a prolonged period of time.

Drawing first blood is mostly insignificant when the end result is you being disarmed and (essentially) beaten.

Nuada ultimately managed to disarm Hellboy due to having an ever so slight skill advantage (which is also arguable due to the fact Hellboy was still holding back a bit),

If Nuada won both fights is it realistic to say he only has a slight skill advantage? You claim Hellboy is as fast as he is and obviously much stronger and more durable, so how could he beat him if he's only negligibly more skilled when he trails in everywhere else by a wide margin? It's all well and good to say he held back but no amount of caution should have stopped from wrecking him in either fight if he was only slightly less skilled, given his other advantages.

Hellboy is very skilled in gracious and fancy dojo-esque martial arts like he demonstrated against Nuada,

As a decent sword fighter, sure. But nothing you've posted so far has anything to do with being a good martial artist beyond basic boxing and blocking with his hand.

but he is also a skilled brawler, and can utilize some sweet moves and grapples even against foes that are bigger than him, like Wink:

You've hit the nail on the head with the brawler comment, he's a good one. But being a skilled brawler is not the same as being a skilled martial artist. Compare Hellboy's best showings of technical ability;

Hellboy blocks his foes punch and breaks his arm with a strike
Hellboy blocks his foes punch and breaks his arm with a strike

This is a good showing for his striking as he's able to break a limb in one hit, but as a skill showing it's not pushing beyond brawler territory. He catches a punch and hits once. Meanwhile Cap;

No Caption Provided

...does the same thing but in one sequence breaks his opponents arm, counterattacks with an elbow and disarms him. To top it off he blocks another punch and launches rapid strikes into his other arm, before kicking him away. Hellboy doesn't and has never fought like this. With regards to his tackle on Wink;

It's a tackle followed by a trip
It's a tackle followed by a trip

He tackles him and wraps his leg around him. It's another good display of Hellboy being a savvy brawler but compare it to Cap's grappling;

No Caption Provided

He's just better. Basic tripping doesn't compare when the guy he's fighting is constantly doing stuff like this. If Cap can go untouched by someone like Batroc once he gets serious Hellboy isn't going to be an issue.

Misc

He didn't abandon his morals when fighting against Iron Man

Tony and Steve are friends, obviously not comparable to this scenario.

He has used the environment to his advantage on many occasions, in videos that I posted and in ones that I didn't

Okay, but again;

No Caption Provided

No civilians around, nighttime, Cap starts where his team is and HB starts where Iron Man's team is.

There's nothing but flat open space for at least a hundred meters, however good he may be a using the environment when they are so far from anything to interact with and neither is likely to run away.

Also, other than all that, there's still Hellboy's tail that he can use as an additional sneaky limb, that you didn't address.

I didn't address it because it's not a factor. You argue as if it's a third arm similar to someone like Nightcrawler when Hellboy has never used it in combat, him using it to climb away from the Forest God is it's best feat.

Summary

1. Cap killing is standard, he will not hold back against an enemy trying to kill him.
  2. Cap is too good with his shield to be tagged by a marksman like Hellboy.
  3. Cap's feats against mid tiers and street powerhouses (Ultron, Iron Man, War-Machine, Spider-Man) mean that hurting Hellboy will not be nearly as big an issue as you've stated.
  4. Cap can cut with the edge of his shield, something Hellboy is far from immune to.
  5. Cap is faster than Hellboy, but more importantly significantly more skilled. His feats against other skilled and fast fighters (such as Black Panther) mean it's unlikely he'll be tagged significantly.
  6. Hellboy will be able to endure for a time but ultimately Roger's superior skills, speed and gear backed up by his own superhuman stats will give him a win here.

Sorry for the wait, I have greatly enjoyed this debate and regardless of the winner am happy to have contended with someone of your quality.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 the_red_viper  Moderator

@buildhare:

Sorry for the wait, I have greatly enjoyed this debate and regardless of the winner am happy to have contended with someone of your quality.

Thanks for the compliment my friend. I enjoyed this CaV a lot as well and you did a really great job, you certainly didn't make it easy for me.

But still:

No Caption Provided

Sorry I just had to =P

I'mma tag the voters now.

Voters, FYI: this was supposed to be a 4-posts debate originally. However we decided to make it 3 posts each eventually so I edited my 3rd post's summary a little bit to make it sound more "conclusive". I did not add new info or feats or anything, just rephrased my summary a bit.

@allstarsuperman@lubub55@helloman@blackestnight93@ouroborik@jloneblackheart@ithemanwithoutfeari@ginman333@reaverlation@doofasa@major_hellstorm@normanbates@xerolot@sirfizzwhizz

Voting is now open folks, your votes and feedback will be much appreciated!!! Please make sure to explain your choice so we can know you read the debate and you are not just biased, and also so we can learn and improve from your feedback.

Xerolot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hm. I'm not sure what to think about this. I'll give my vote to @buildhare for showing full of Cap capabilities and scaling from stronger characters to prove that he can match his opponent. But I must admit that I was disappointed when he used first encounter against Nuada and compared it to the Loki fight in his third post. I mean Hellboy was completely drunk back then so it's not really fair to use this feat as a low showing. @the_red_viper Did a good job while presenting Hellboy and convinced me that our demon friend is stronger then I thought (can't wait for his RT mate) but I believe that Buildhare did a slightly better job.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 the_red_viper  Moderator

@xerolot:

can't wait for his RT mate

Coming soon ;)

buildhare

Forum Posts