• 60 results
robertloucksjr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By robertloucksjr

Er, her luck powers are not a generally a plot device any more than Cassie's muscle reading. You might notice the word POWER in that sentence. Bad things happen to people who fight Domino. Someone who is not bulletproof, Domino loves the guns, and lacks durability is tailor made for Domino and she should take the majority.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@robertloucksjr said:

Er, her luck powers are not a generally a plot device any more than Cassie's muscle reading. You might notice the word POWER in that sentence. Bad things happen to people who fight Domino. Someone who is not bulletproof, Domino loves the guns, and lacks durability is tailor made for Domino and she should take the majority.

That's a ridiculous comparison. Muscle Reading isn't a plot device, it's an ability and seeing as how you can rarely even find an issue of Batgirl where an opponent even touches Cassandra, I think it's safe to say it works alot more efficiently then powers of luck. What happens as a result of Luck powers needs variables to work. There is no variables with muscle reading, it either works or it doesn't. There is no way you can know how luck will work in Domino's favor.
LordOfFate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By LordOfFate

I'm really trying to find out how you fight against probability. Domino has been defeated before and I will admit that Cass's skill is greater then Dom's, but I still find it hard to see how Cass can beat the unknown factor of Dom's abilities..

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@Lord Shiva said:

I'm really trying to find out how you fight against probability. Domino has been defeated before and I will admit that Cass's skill is greater then Dom's, but I still find it hard to see how Cass can beat the unknown factor of Dom's abilities..

The thing is, you can't possibly know how luck will work in Domino's favor, because writers make it up as they go along.
Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55  Edited By Killemall

@Cochise: Did you take a look at some of her reflex feat i posted on page 2? Specifically, the first one, which i honestly believe someone like Spiderman would struggle to replicate let alone Deathstrike or Deadpool. While my knowledge of street level is very limited and Cassy is perhaps the only street level i have read reasonable on (i have read entire vol 1 and vol 2) , so apologies if i am wrong, but i have like never seen a street level with such reflexes or even close. That whyVance Astroalong with me finds it hard to believe luck can help her overcome such huge skill gap.

Cassy has used nerve strike to paralyze Stephanie Brown (who later took the mantel of Batgirl after Cassy) twice and once on Oracle.

Cochise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Cochise

@Vance Astro said:

Luck Powers+Plot Device=Not applicable in battle forums

So you're saying that we shouldn't start threads using characters with luck powers? You may as well say we shouldn't use reality warpers - their power effects are just as unpredictable and writer-dependent.

How about this - we only attribute things to a character's luck power that they have reasonably done in the past. I.e., Aside from one off-panel example that is extremely inconsistent with her usual showings, Domino has not been shown to be able to defeat high-end bricks. Therefore, while a writer COULD make a story in which she defeats a high-end brick using luck, surroundings, etc. it really isn't likely, and so she would lose a battle board fight against, say, Colossus. However, Domino HAS been shown to defeat CQ fighters (CQ = close quarters to imply that people like Lady Deathstrike use claws as well as hands, etc.) that are as formidable if not more so than Cass, and does so not irregularly, so it would be more logical and go with her standard presentation that she would do well against Cass. Furthermore, Cass has (to my knowledge), NEVER fought someone with this kind of luck power. She has no experience with it. She has no real strategy to overcome it. And it can completely bypass Cass's signature ability to read body language, since Domino activating her power - which is psionic in nature - produces no body movement, and usually involves the target being affected by the environment, or the target's own body betraying them.

Cass can be more skilled than someone (though Domino is not a bad fighter AT ALL) and still lose a close quarters fight. Skill is not everything, especially when the person she is fighting is very skilled themselves and on top of that has a powerful psionic ability against which she no proven defense.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@Cochise said:

So you're saying that we shouldn't start threads using characters with luck powers? You may as well say we shouldn't use reality warpers - their power effects are just as unpredictable and writer-dependent.

How about this - we only attribute things to a character's luck power that they have reasonably done in the past. I.e., Aside from one off-panel example that is extremely inconsistent with her usual showings, Domino has not been shown to be able to defeat high-end bricks. Therefore, while a writer COULD make a story in which she defeats a high-end brick using luck, surroundings, etc. it really isn't likely, and so she would lose a battle board fight against, say, Colossus. However, Domino HAS been shown to defeat CQ fighters (CQ = close quarters to imply that people like Lady Deathstrike use claws as well as hands, etc.) that are as formidable if not more so than Cass, and does so not irregularly, so it would be more logical and go with her standard presentation that she would do well against Cass. Furthermore, Cass has (to my knowledge), NEVER fought someone with this kind of luck power. She has no experience with it. She has no real strategy to overcome it. And it can completely bypass Cass's signature ability to read body language, since Domino activating her power - which is psionic in nature - produces no body movement, and usually involves the target being affected by the environment, or the target's own body betraying them.

Cass can be more skilled than someone (though Domino is not a bad fighter AT ALL) and still lose a close quarters fight. Skill is not everything, especially when the person she is fighting is very skilled themselves and on top of that has a powerful psionic ability against which she no proven defense.

I didn't say you shouldn't start with characters with luck powers because there is more to Domino than that. There are reality warpers whose powers can be vouched for and you can actually say how far their powers can extend but generally you are correct, reality warpers are not easy to debate for because what they can do requires a writers say so. 

Now as far as this fight goes between Domino and Cassandra Cain, I don't really understand why you're still trying to give her the win. She's never defeated anyone as skilled as Cassandra that also dominates her physically. You continuously mention Lady Deathstrike but IIRC there was nothing impressive in her fights with Lady Deathstrike nor was their anything that happened in it you could even apply here. In Domino v1 #2 the first time they fought..Lady Deathstrike was seconds away from killing Domino, as she's getting choked she throws down some explosives that appear to be duds, Domino then somehow gets out of Deathstrike's grip as they explode via luck powers. That doesn't kill Deathstrike or end the fight though, now with her skin all ripped off and virtually just a metal skeleton, she climbs out of the hole she was in and beats Domino unconscious. In their second fight Domino simply attacks Skullbuster and Lady Deathstrike from behind, and kicked them into whatever green liquid they were going to torture her with then I believe it's Deathstrike who comes out of the green liquid only to get blasted by the two high powers guns that Domino is now holding.  

Cassandra Cain doesn't really need a strategy to overcome probability manipulation because you're blowing it out of proportion in the first place and reference instances that need plot devices with or without luck powers. Cassandra Cain will wreck Domino and there's really nothing she can do about it. Also Domino's power bypassing Cass' body reading actually has nothing to do with the fight, she doesn't need to "read her movements" to overwhelm her with speed and go for the easy KO. Domino has never beaten anyone of Cass' caliber in close quarters combat, not via luck powers or anything else.
Cochise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Cochise

@Vance Astro said:

I didn't say you shouldn't start with characters with luck powers because there is more to Domino than that. There are reality warpers whose powers can be vouched for and you can actually say how far their powers can extend but generally you are correct, reality warpers are not easy to debate for because what they can do requires a writers say so.

Well, to me it seems you are softening your stance on luck powers. All I'm saying is that Domino's luck powers should be capable of doing what they have been shown to be able to do in the past - that is, give her wins in CQ fights against opponents as formidable or more formindable than Cass.

Now as far as this fight goes between Domino and Cassandra Cain, I don't really understand why you're still trying to give her the win.

And I have no idea why you are trying to give Cass the win. I've given logical explanations as to why I think Cass will lose, and why she doesn't have any other abilities that would help her counter the luck powers.

She's never defeated anyone as skilled as Cassandra that also dominates her physically.

And I've explained to you several times that skill isn't everything, especially when the skill gap isn't especially large. You keep going on about "more skilled" but skill is only one aspect of formidability. Spider-Man (until recently, I don't know what kind of training he received with Shang Chi during Spider Island) isn't thought to be as skilled as Daredevil but he would beat Daredevil any day of the week because he is overall a more formidable fighter due to other factors beyond skill.

You continuously mention Lady Deathstrike but IIRC there was nothing impressive in her fights with Lady Deathstrike nor was their anything that happened in it you could even apply here. In Domino v1 #2 the first time they fought..Lady Deathstrike was seconds away from killing Domino, as she's getting choked she throws down some explosives that appear to be duds, Domino then somehow gets out of Deathstrike's grip as they explode via luck powers. That doesn't kill Deathstrike or end the fight though, now with her skin all ripped off and virtually just a metal skeleton, she climbs out of the hole she was in and beats Domino unconscious.

True but a similar explosion would kill Cass. Because Lady Deathstrike has a ridiculous healing factor and durability, and Cass doesn't. That's one of the reasons Lady Deathstrike, despite being somewhat less skilled than Cass, is a more formidable CQ opponent for most people.

In their second fight Domino simply attacks Skullbuster and Lady Deathstrike from behind, and kicked them into whatever green liquid they were going to torture her with then I believe it's Deathstrike who comes out of the green liquid only to get blasted by the two high powers guns that Domino is now holding. Cassandra Cain doesn't really need a strategy to overcome probability manipulation because you're blowing it out of proportion in the first place and reference instances that need plot devices with or without luck powers.

Why doesn't she need a strategy? Isn't that the whole point of a battle board? And here you are implying that I'm suggesting that Domino's luck powers can beat anyone. I'm not.

Cassandra Cain will wreck Domino and there's really nothing she can do about it.

Many on this thread seem to disagree. And since you haven't come up with a way for Cass to handle Domino's luck power, you haven't convinced me of this.

Also Domino's power bypassing Cass' body reading actually has nothing to do with the fight, she doesn't need to "read her movements" to overwhelm her with speed and go for the easy KO. Domino has never beaten anyone of Cass' caliber in close quarters combat, not via luck powers or anything else.

Considering how Cass has been unable to "overwhelm" people like Batman, Nightwing, Robin, Ravager etc. with speed I'm not seeing her overwhelm Domino either. And seeing as how she's never been able to one-shot people like this with nerve strikes I'm not liking her chances of doing so with Domino.

DocFatalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By DocFatalis

@Killemall said:

Honestly speaking Cassy to wayyy too fast for Domino to deal with. Look at some of the reflex feats she has performed which puts someone like Batman to shame. Look at her skills, she can paralyze someone with one nerve strike.

I really doubt her luck manipulation would help Domino beat someone far more skilled, a lot faster and hell of a lot cooler.

Cassy FTW every single time.

This, and it hurts my feelings because Domino is one of those imaginary girls I'd like to have a beer or twelve with.

The_Soverighn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#60  Edited By The_Soverighn

bump