Avatar image for capitolpunishment
#1 Posted by CapitolPunishment (2483 posts) - - Show Bio

Can this incarnation of death catch the cosmic elder and kill what was thought to be immortal?

#2 Posted by Saren (27909 posts) - - Show Bio

Wally West did outrun the Black Racer during Final Crisis by going as fast as he could IIRC, but it is debatable whether Runner is faster than Wally at his peak without the Space Gem.

#3 Posted by CapitolPunishment (2483 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane: Iirc the Black Racer was gaining ground on the Flashes but made a pit-stop for Darksied. Also were they not moving so fast they were transcending time? Could be wrong so feel free to correct anything, been a while since I read it.

#4 Posted by pooty (16236 posts) - - Show Bio

@CitizenBane: @CapitolPunishment: He may be able to catch him which is debatable but is the Black Racer, Death Itself or an avatar or representative of Death?

#5 Posted by Saren (27909 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty: It is an aspect of Death. I believe it represents Death As An Inevitability or something like that.

@CapitolPunishment: Been a while since I read it too, I'll have to check.

#6 Posted by _Black (2301 posts) - - Show Bio

@CapitolPunishment said:

@CitizenBane: Iirc the Black Racer was gaining ground on the Flashes but made a pit-stop for Darksied. Also were they not moving so fast they were transcending time? Could be wrong so feel free to correct anything, been a while since I read it.

The Black Racer was chasing Barry and Wally and I believe he was getting closer to them at the end; the duo knew they just had to reach Darkseid. Thus, Racer stopped and I guess you could say they outran him, for a while nonetheless. And yes, there was some time manipulation. I remember Wally or Barry one reaching out for the radion bullet that killed Orion, even though Orion was already dead. So there was definitely some time manipulation.

#7 Posted by CapitolPunishment (2483 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty: From what I have read he is an aspect of death so to speak. Not death itself per say but well above just an avatar. Somewhat recently right before flash point Death of the endless (who is considered to be death itself) made an appearance in action comics. When she told Lex Luthor who she was he didn't believe here, she said "where you expecting a sythe (making reference to Nekron) or skies (making reference to the Black Racer". Really hard to explain but hope that helped.

#8 Posted by Montaq (961 posts) - - Show Bio

The Runner wins, he's not just immortal, he's double immortal.

Taken from his bio.

"The energies in his body make him immortal so that he cannot die or be killed by any conventional means. The Runner is also immortal in a way that even "regular" immortals cannot match. Death has barred him from her realm, so that even if a force that should normally kill The Runner were set against him, he would still not perish. No form of injury no matter how severe can ever kill him. He is virtually invulnerable, able to shrug off powerful cosmic blasts from The Silver Surfer without injury or pause"

#9 Posted by CapitolPunishment (2483 posts) - - Show Bio

@_Black: Thanks, that is pretty much how I remembered it.

#10 Posted by CapitolPunishment (2483 posts) - - Show Bio

@Montaq: That's what makes this match interesting. The Runner is not just fighting some fast dude who likes to kill, he is up against an aspect of Death itself. Death may have barred the runner from her realm but in this scenario Death now wants the Runner, well dead.

#11 Posted by pooty (16236 posts) - - Show Bio

@CapitolPunishment: If Death wants him dead I believe she can kill him. If she can catch him

#12 Edited by ConnorDorian (1320 posts) - - Show Bio

Runner can't die so him.

#13 Edited by Debelindzo (832 posts) - - Show Bio

@connordorian: Runner also doesn't have the feats to prove that he can catch Black Racer. It's a stalemate.

Avatar image for theawesomeflashsandiego32
#15 Edited by theawesomeflashsandiego32 (2150 posts) - - Show Bio
#16 Posted by Debelindzo (832 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by ConnorDorian (1320 posts) - - Show Bio

@connordorian: Runner also doesn't have the feats to prove that he can catch Black Racer. It's a stalemate.

Racer is fast , but if Runner has the Gem Racer can't catch him , because he is so fast that it looks he is teleporting or maybe he is really teleporting but that's the same thing.

#18 Posted by MightyKalEl (2185 posts) - - Show Bio

BR.

#19 Posted by Debelindzo (832 posts) - - Show Bio

@connordorian: Look at Krle's post. I think it explains everything.

#20 Posted by ConnorDorian (1320 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for deactivated-5a90ca82ccb5f
#22 Posted by deactivated-5a90ca82ccb5f (6669 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Posted by Sly_141 (3216 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Posted by Tanaka917 (95 posts) - - Show Bio

Normally I'd say Runner not necessarily because he's faster but mainly cause death isn't a factor

But Black Racer is death. If I remember he's the version of death that heralds speedsters to their afterlife. I believe he's fast enough to catch Racer, and do exactly that. If Racer is Death, then he can negate even Runner's immortality. Though I'm not sure about this, I'm fairly sure Racer also, as he is death, can't die. So failing that it becomes stalemate

#27 Posted by TifaLockhart (20993 posts) - - Show Bio

What is the Runner supposed to do to win? Punch an avatar of Death into submission? Flee from the battle?

#28 Edited by mr-luxcipher (7593 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Racer.

Runner is really damn overrated speed-wise(just throwing that out there).

Avatar image for bowlt_swagg_320
#29 Posted by bowlt_swagg_320 (2205 posts) - - Show Bio

BR

#31 Posted by pansito (1164 posts) - - Show Bio
#33 Posted by TifaLockhart (20993 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously. Even assuming The Racer cannot kill Runner, how does Runner defeat the Racer?

The Racer claimed Li'l Lobo, and his adult version is immortal.