Best Battles in New Comics: 11/22/13

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Good news and bad news, Viners. The bad news: there won't be a new edition of "Best Battles in New Comics" next Friday. The good news: that means you're going to get an extra battle right here in this one. Plus, just because we won't have the segment up next Friday doesn't mean we're going to leave you empty-handed. Fear not, because there will be something else posted for the action junkies on that day. We don't want to spoil it, so that's all we're gonna say on that subject.

This week, there's four fights to feed your adrenaline. Firstly, Flash's villains are unfortunate enough to encounter one of Superman's enemies. Then, Samurai Jack is forced to fight lovable yet obnoxious twins. After that, we venture into AVENGERS A.I. for some epic craziness you won't want to miss. Last and most definitely not least, you'll get to gaze at a glorious action scene from Marvel's latest big event.

Did your favorite melee not get a mention? Well, it's possible we didn't read that issue, so be sure to make suggestions in the official Best Battles Discussion Threadfrom now on. We review that before writing this weekly feature and do our best to get our hands on the issues suggested!

No Caption Provided

The Rogues vs. Parasite (Forever Evil: Rogues Rebellion #2)

Flash's villains just can't catch a break, can they? First, they encounter the Crime Syndicate and Captain Cold is depowered before they all flee. Now, they bump into one of Superman's powerful villains: Parasite. After their less than stellar encounter with Deathstrom and Power Ring, the Syndicate has put a price on the group's head and Parasite definitely wants to collect it. Needless to say, things don't go too well for Barry's enemies.

Eat purple fist.
Eat purple fist.

The team was caught off-guard, but Mirror Master makes 'em realize they need to step up and work together if they want to avoid being drained by this -- as Trickster put it -- giant booger. Luckily for Heatwave, Weather Wizard is more than happy to be a team player and save him from the big bad.

He probably tasted burnt, anyway.
He probably tasted burnt, anyway.

When the fight started, Parasite had no problem babbling about who he is and what he does. A character who feeds on energy? Well, Weather Wizard thinks he can give the fiend more energy than he can handle and that'll hopefully bring the brawl to a close. With a raise of his weather-wand, Mark hits the beast with an epic volley of lightning.

Somewhere, Thor's laughing at this.
Somewhere, Thor's laughing at this.

Did the attack work or did it totally backfire and make Kal's enemy more powerful? And, if it didn't end the fight, how can the team hope to survive this one? Go ahead and purchase the issue if you want to find out and witness what else went down in the issue.

Samurai Jack vs. Dis and Dat (SAMURAI JACK #2)

Samurai Jack's search for another thread of time leads him to a village that's "protected" by two skilled twins. Going by the name Dis and Dat, the martial arts duo doesn't take kindly to "intruders" entering the village. Do they talk it out and let him pass? Heck no, they challenge Jack to a fight and he has no choice but to accept.

Twin-Ownage!
Twin-Ownage!

Jack's a formidable dude and took on a group of totally different threats in the last issue, but nothing could have prepared him for this. He's not just fighting two skilled characters -- he's fighting a team who are completely synchronized. As you can see, it's a wee bit of a pain for Jack to handle and we imagine isn't very fun for him... at all.

Not even Wolverine's adamantium skull could handle the twin-strike.
Not even Wolverine's adamantium skull could handle the twin-strike.

Alright, this is getting pretty embarrassing for Jack. That hit to his noggin was tough, but surely he can recover from that, right? He has to find a way to win this, right?! Sorry, Jack fans, but nope and nope. Things only get worse for the warrior from there.

Dis-Dat > Galactus. There, I said it.
Dis-Dat > Galactus. There, I said it.

So, how does Jack come back and beat them? Can he even beat them or do they reach a mutual understanding? You know the drill by now, people: buy the book to find out.

Vision vs. Dimitrois (AVENGERS A.I. #6)

Sam Humphries, it looks like you just won the "Most Creative Battle of the Year" award. Viners, prepare yourselves for a real treat.

Dimitrois wants to steal Vision life (Superior Vision?) and previously installed malware in the hero. However, Vision was aware of this and when the villainous A.I. strikes, it puts the two into a digital arena for a battle unlike any other. Vision agrees to the fight and presents Dimitrios with one simple objective: destroy the kitten Vision is holding. What happens next is the two constantly trying to outsmart one another by constantly upgrading.

Sure is amazing, isn't it?
Sure is amazing, isn't it?

First, let's take a moment to praise Valerio Schiti's art. Humphries throws all kinds of craziness into the script and Schiti is able to bring all of these hilarious and abstract moments to life. The illustrator successfully makes each part of the fight feel unique and every bit is a real blast to read through. Anyhow, let's get back to the hectic action.

Foot always beats spear.
Foot always beats spear.

As Dimitrois turns into a giant, Vision hides the beyond adorable kitten in a castle. Naturally, the villain begins to break the building apart, but this is all part of the good guy's plan. As the formidable being is distracted, Vision grows in size and goes all Street Fighter on the enemy, delivering a fast volley of hits. But, it's not enough to earn the victory.

C-C-COMBO BREAKER!
C-C-COMBO BREAKER!

Was the smash enough to take Vision out of the fight? Is the book twisted enough to destroy the kitten? WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?! Trust us, you'll want to read the whole issue to find out how it concludes and see all of the other bits of action which aren't on display here.

Gladiator, Super-Skrull, Annihilus, Ronan vs. Black Dwarf (AVENGES #23)

Are you ready for the Avengers versus the Black Order? Well, the Avengers apparently weren't. Shang Chi and Black Widow tried their best, but Black Dwarf just won't fall. It's an admirable effort as they still stand after so much damage, but it's clear the big guy has quite an edge over them. Luckily for the heroes of Earth, their alien allies won't just sit back and watch them die in this slugfest. Enter Gladiator, Super-Skrull, Annihilus, and Ronan. Take all the time you need to admire the glorious panel below.

Leinil Francis Yu wins.
Leinil Francis Yu wins.

Gladiator shattering the general's weapon with one punch is downright awesome, but the man's by no means defeated after that. They call Thanos' warrior a "villain" and it completely sets him off. After beginning his verbal assault, Kl'rt is the first to feel the force of his physical assault with a vicious strike.

Once again, Yu wins.
Once again, Yu wins.

A fight between powerhouses is good fun and all, but wow, have you been seeing how absurdly good Leinil Francis Yu's art is in this issue? This fight was going to be highlight-worthy regardless of who was handling the visuals, but he turned it into something truly special with exceptional detail and such momentum behind all of the attacks. Great stuff. Here, enjoy another fantastic panel of the frenetic scene.

Stop being so emotional, Gladiator.
Stop being so emotional, Gladiator.

The Black Dwarf is obviously a dude few should mess with, but in this situation, he's up against a team of some amazingly powerful characters. We all know it's just a matter of time before he loses, but believe us when we say this fight has a conclusion you really don't want to miss.

Honorable Mentions

No Caption Provided

What are your top 3 fights from this week? Share them with us below! Also, don't forget to make nominations every week in the official thread or tell Gregg via Twitter.

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 17

Love the Avengers A.I. one

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Very nice choices this week and I really liked Jack vs Dis and Dat. But I'm very curious as to what you have in store for us next week Gregg with a teaser like that.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

That fight with Black Dwarf is epic!

Kelevra216

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Kelevra216

Great pick, especially Samurai Jack's. Want so hard, no choice but to wait for trade.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_Titan_Lord

The Black Dwarf fight had me.

Mrgreenlantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol Trickster! HE SHOT ME IN THE PINKY TOE! metal hand now a titanium pinky toe?

Avatar image for cassius_knightfall
Cassius_Knightfall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah man was hoping to see Ronan's shot. That panel though a tad graphic was straight awesome.

DCWarFan73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

Cannot wait to check out Avengers

green_skaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You forgot the extremely disappointing Banner/Hulk vs final Chronarchist fight!

snarkybits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wilbertus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I really liked the Rogues vs. Parasite. Well, I like the Rogues vs. Anything really..

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@lvenger said:

Very nice choices this week and I really liked Jack vs Dis and Dat. But I'm very curious as to what you have in store for us next week Gregg with a teaser like that.

Thanks. It's always nice to see someone actually reads the intro :D

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@green_skaar said:

Why would I give something an honorable mention if it wasn't good? :P

@snarkybits said:

"Harley Quinn vs. Jimmy Palmiotti, Amanda Conner (HARLEY QUINN #0)"

That makes it sound like it was bad...

How so? They literally fought in the issue.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Dwarf is stronger than we thought

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Note To Self: Don't Insult Paradise

kilomac29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By kilomac29

That Avengers battle was great. The funny thing is that Leinil Francis Yu actually apologized via Twitter for the art in this issue. He said he thought it felt rushed and unfinished. Man, if that's what rushed and unfinished looks like, it must really be amazing when he puts a little effort into it. LOL!

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 owie  Moderator

I have to say the Black Dwarf thing bothered me. His first set of opponents, who somehow managed to defeat tons of his presumably superhuman flunkies, are the totally streetlevel Shang Chi and Black Widow, and they apparently even manage to fight Black Dwarf for a bit off panel without dying immediately. BW even gets whacked hard by what was assumedly Black Dwarf's mace and is up and fighting with no problem in the next page. Then the team of hugely heavy cosmic hitters comes in and he fights them on a basically equal basis for a while. The distance between the streetlevel and cosmic teams was just too much.

hamlet33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What? No "Jason Todd & Talia al Ghul VS Red Hood Gang" honorable mention? No "Supergirl & Superboy VS H'el"? Rogues vs Parasite and Jack vs Dis & Dat was great though

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

"Jason Todd & Talia al Ghul VS Red Hood Gang"

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By M3th

I believe in Humphries and job well done Vichtis

June'sVeryOwn

green_skaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:
@green_skaar said:

Why would I give something an honorable mention if it wasn't good? :P

Was just being sarcastic :) I'm sure next weeks will be great with Thanos vs Avengers + Thane (most likely)

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Buddy & Ellen Baker vs Brother Blood's goon squad.

BillyBonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How the hell did Black Panther defeat Black Dwarf and yet all of these guys struggle.

blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By blkson

@owie: go back and read the issue. Widow was shot by an energy blast, she was not hit by Dwarf's mace. More importantly, Shang and Widow primarily fought Dwarf's minions and not really Dwarf himself.

Knowing the type of fighters Shang and Widow are, one can infer that they simply evaded Dwarf's attacks (as much as they could) until the reinforcements arrived.

Avatar image for deactivated-59dbfb60c4f7c
deactivated-59dbfb60c4f7c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@billybonzo: I think it's a different black dwarf since thanos killed the other one

Avatar image for medulaoblaganda
medulaoblaganda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@green_skaar: what is wrong with the fight btw hulk and chro?

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28  Edited By cameron83

The fight in Avengers was freaking awesome!
But I love that Vision one so much

How the hell did Black Panther defeat Black Dwarf and yet all of these guys struggle.

1. This is Black Panther we're talking about. Look at his skills,weaponry/resources,etc on his own home court.

2. He also had an army. One of the most powerful ones in the world.

HellionVulcan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By HellionVulcan

The fight in Avengers was freaking awesome!

But I love that Vision one so much

@billybonzo said:

1. This is Black Panther we're talking about. Look at his skills,weaponry/resources,etc on his own home court.

2. He also had an army. One of the most powerful ones in the world.

1 Gladiator is a world killer Black panther has nothing to equal that amount of power so again so we'll chalk this up to pis

2 Again super skrull Gladiator & Ronan combined could leave earth in rubble's yet they get downgraded to make Dwarf look powerful .... pis .

HellionVulcan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@owie said:

I have to say the Black Dwarf thing bothered me. His first set of opponents, who somehow managed to defeat tons of his presumably superhuman flunkies, are the totally streetlevel Shang Chi and Black Widow, and they apparently even manage to fight Black Dwarf for a bit off panel without dying immediately. BW even gets whacked hard by what was assumedly Black Dwarf's mace and is up and fighting with no problem in the next page. Then the team of hugely heavy cosmic hitters comes in and he fights them on a basically equal basis for a while. The distance between the streetlevel and cosmic teams was just too much.

I know that bothered me to it seemed like he just randomly changes power level as there is no way he could've fought the four power houses like that considering he lost to Black panther .I have to say its been the first let down for me in infinity since i expected bigger things from Gladiator Ronan & Super Skrull as all three were written terribly .

solon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By solon

Vision vs Dimitrois was good

Avatar image for themanintheshoe
TheManInTheShoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@themanintheshoe: Love my job, since I've been bringing in $82h… I sit at home, music playing while I work in front of my new iMac that I got now that I'm making it online,...http://ur1.ca/g309u

Go away

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 owie  Moderator

@blkson said:

@owie: go back and read the issue. Widow was shot by an energy blast, she was not hit by Dwarf's mace. More importantly, Shang and Widow primarily fought Dwarf's minions and not really Dwarf himself.

Knowing the type of fighters Shang and Widow are, one can infer that they simply evaded Dwarf's attacks (as much as they could) until the reinforcements arrived.

Granted that they don't show exactly what hit her, but it's still my interpretation that it was Black Dwarf's mace, given that he's in the panel right underneath and palming it. It could be an energy blast, but that's not how I see it. And if it was, all the more reason for her to be dead on the ground. While they obviously would have tried to focus on the minions, the fight scenes show Black Dwarf right there in the middle of things swinging around at them.

snarkybits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snarkybits said:

"Harley Quinn vs. Jimmy Palmiotti, Amanda Conner (HARLEY QUINN #0)"

That makes it sound like it was bad...

How so? They literally fought in the issue.

Yeah, but like other honorable mentions that you've done(Joker's Daughter comes to mind), it gave the impression that the issue itself was bad. :)

green_skaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Josiah. I just agree... Shawn`s storry is astonishing... on monday I got a great new Land Rover Range Rover from having made $8349 this-last/five weeks and-over, 10 grand this past-month. this is actually the most financialy rewarding I've ever had. I began this 4 months ago and practically straight away began to make over $73.. p/h. website link,...WWW.JUMP85.COM

Im making over $30h a month working part time. I kept hearing other people tell me how much money they can make online so I decided to look into it. Well, it was all true and has totally changed my life. This is what I do,,,,

www.Rush64.com

Sounds legit, where can I submit my social security number?