#1 Edited by jashro44 (43496 posts) - - Show Bio

This is an old segment that @k4tzm4n use to run back when he was a staff member. However me and my friends who run battle of the week were talking and we decided to bring this segment back. Basically in this segment we pick the best battles we saw in comics and than we will post the highlights of these fight. I will not upload the full fights in respect to the scan rule.

Marvel Generations: Phoenix & Jean Grey #1

Our first battle show cases the fight between the young Jean Grey and Phoenix against Terrax and Galactus! Phoenix senses a disturbance on another planet, and carries young Jean with her, where she sees galactus and terrax terrorizing a planet! Old Jean quickly powers up to her Phoenix state and disposes of Terrax rather quickly.

No Caption Provided

At first galactus pays no attention to the two Jeans, however after seeing his herald beg for mercy galactus enters the fight. He seems to do some damage to pheonix and tanks her blast to rather easily:

No Caption Provided

Afterwards Phoenix tries to stand up to Big G and demands Galactus to satisfy his hunger elsewhere. However Galactus responds with telling Phoenix to not make demands of him and begins siphoning energy from the phoenix force. Young Jean watches and realizes that galactus could kill the phoenix, and if that were to happen time would shatter. So she draws energy from the surrounding planet, from terrax, the phoenix force, and galactus himself and blasts him with an amped TK blast which sends galactus toppling!

No Caption Provided

However even as a result of this amped TK blast Galactus seems to shrug the blast off. He chooses to leave the planet on account of being impressed.

Amazing Spider-man #31

The next battle will showcase some highlights of the recent fight with the new superior Doctor Octopus and Spider-Man! For those that don't know doctor octopus is back in a cloned body of spider-man and has joined Hydra, and wants control of Parker industries back! Not only does he now possess the powers of spider-man and has his arms back but he also has some more new toys! Such as an EMP based on the one Norman Osborn used a few issues back with some modifications. Not only will this EMP disable Peter's technology but it will destroy his armor!

No Caption Provided

However.....

No Caption Provided

Peter was wearing his classic spider-man costume underneath! Now I personally kind of liked the idea of Peter using tech more and his armor was cool for a bit...But its amazing seeing Peter's classic costume! This one scene really made the issue for me. I gotta admit--despite my bordom/fatigue win Dan Slotts Spider-man--this was a very cool scene. Peter makes note that he doesn't need his fancy tech to beat Ock and this is the only costume he needs. Peter ends up using that device you see him holding in his hands to hack Otto's arms resulting in Otto literally beating himself up:

No Caption Provided

However Peter's victory on Otto did not come without cost. What did Peter lose? Read the issue and find out.

Transformers: Till All Are One #12

This next fight will be between Windblade & Starscream VS Vigilem. Now I will be honest I don't really read this series so I have little idea what is actually happening. From what I understand Vigilem entered the mind of windblade and they are having a battle inside her mind. Vigilem is trying to reformat Windblades mind.

No Caption Provided

However Vigilem asks how long windblade will remain in control of her mind. However as Vigilem is speaking he gets shot from behind and its revealed that star scream has also entered windblades mind to assist her:

No Caption Provided

However Vigilem changes his appearance to look like megatron and things don't look so good for star scream:

No Caption Provided

What happens next? You should probably read the issue to find out.

So do you want to see more of these types of threads? And if you do, do you wish wish to be tagged into these threads in the future? Also what did you think were the best battles this week? Also if you have suggestions for the best battles you've read next week feel free to post them here and just @reply me.

#2 Posted by SirFizzWhizz (32685 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice.

Though Phoenix losing to galactus is PIS/WIS for sure. Green Phoenix beat Galactus easy already and she was holding back.

#3 Edited by destinyman75 (8102 posts) - - Show Bio

Very very interesting, Have to agree with sirfizzwhizz though Jean (green) already beat Galactus should have had a better showing nice though

#4 Posted by MysticMedivh (32166 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by Nefarious (34682 posts) - - Show Bio

It is great to see this return.

#6 Posted by Amendment50 (11521 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool to see this segment come back!

#7 Posted by Black_Arrow (9285 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by Blaredevil (513 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty cool.

#9 Posted by MysticMedivh (32166 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by comicace3 (12340 posts) - - Show Bio

This brings back memories. Thanks Jash.

#11 Posted by BruceRogers (10097 posts) - - Show Bio

So glad to see this back. Good job man

#12 Posted by Xwraith (35044 posts) - - Show Bio

Seeing this again makes me happy.

Now if only we could have awesome art picks back.

#13 Posted by Amendment50 (11521 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith said:

Now if only we could have awesome art picks back.

Really though, I loved that segment.

#14 Posted by Battle123axe (4463 posts) - - Show Bio

I like this.

The galactus thing is pis, as others have pointed out

#15 Posted by P00TY (4248 posts) - - Show Bio

IF YOU CAN'T KEEP TROLLS FROM SPAMMING MY INBOX..

I WILL ACCEPT WEEKLY BEST BATTLES AS COMPENSATION!!

#16 Posted by kgb725 (15144 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith: i want the best stuff in comics to makw a return

#17 Posted by God_Vulcan (5435 posts) - - Show Bio

@p00ty said:

IF YOU CAN'T KEEP TROLLS FROM SPAMMING MY INBOX..

I WILL ACCEPT WEEKLY BEST BATTLES AS COMPENSATION!!

You can fix that yourself by changing your pm settings

#18 Posted by P00TY (4248 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_vulcan: Can you tell me how or link me to a tutorial? This troll gets banned then creates new accounts. I'd love to make it stop. Thanks

#19 Posted by GeekMangacomic (253 posts) - - Show Bio

It was pretty short, but I thought the fight between Old Man Logan and a few Hulk Gang members was pretty good in Old Man Logan #27.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5

#20 Posted by ASGARDIANBRONY (9714 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome thread!

#21 Edited by nickzambuto (29278 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally, a good showing from Galactus. For such a fearsome force, the only reason this guy ever seems to show up is to job. This literally might be his first really strong performance in decades.

#22 Posted by BruceRogers (10097 posts) - - Show Bio

@nickzambuto: Galactus never jobs that much, if at all. Not counting his showings when starved, since that explicitly weakens him exponentially, he has only really be threatened by opponents who are even more powerful or as powerful as him. Which is kinda of the opposite of jobbing.

#23 Edited by Blaredevil (513 posts) - - Show Bio

@nickzambuto said:

Finally, a good showing from Galactus. For such a fearsome force, the only reason this guy ever seems to show up is to job. This literally might be his first really strong performance in decades.

11 years ago, a starving Galactus destroyed several systems. 6 years ago he helped fight the Many Angled Ones invading the Cancerverse which included a massive undead train version of himself. And in a Thor Annual a battle between him and other cosmic forces threatened to destroy the universe. And then theres Lifebringer. If Galactus has ever "jobbed" theres usually heavy context such as him starving or being weakened like when he fought Ego and Thor drew him off or when the Avengers fought him in a starving state.

#24 Posted by foxerdes (6366 posts) - - Show Bio

I missed one of those.

#25 Edited by KrleAvenger (23073 posts) - - Show Bio

@nickzambuto: Not really. He fought against the Mad Gods/Celestials who are just as powerful as 616 versions of the Celestials, and even killed one of them in Hickman's Fantastic Four #603 which came out five years ago. He also proved to be more powerful than Odin in Fraction's Mighty Thor #5 which came out 6 years ago. There is also that fight between Galactus, Scrier and Other which threatened to destroy the Multiverse from Mighty Thor Annual #1 which also came out five years ago.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3

All of those fights are longer, but I can post only three scans because of the scan rule. Anyway, Galactus preformed a lot impressive feats this decade, fighting against Universal - Multi-Universal beings by himself and stalemate/overpower them. And there are even more feats than these, like Galactus beating Old King Thor, making him use the Necrosword to prevent him from consuming the planet Earth. He wasn't lacking any impressive feats/showing these last few decades. In fact, some of his most impressive feats were preformed during more recent years of his appearances. Although, he is still one of the greatest jobbers of all time.

#26 Edited by KrleAvenger (23073 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44: Very cool. I would like to see more of these types of threads (out of these three, Galactus vs Phoenix is the coolest one to me). I have few questions about this tho.

1. Are you always comparing three battles only? Or you can post more or less? What is the limit?
  2. When we recommend battles that we want to see next week, do we have to choose battles that happened in more recent issues?
  3. I would like to add this on the Daily Debater for other users to see, but I want to ask for permission first.

#27 Posted by lvenger (32773 posts) - - Show Bio

Bloody Galactus getting chumped by teen Jean Grey. What a lightweight. Still it's great to see this feature back again, feels like old times.

#28 Edited by KrleAvenger (23073 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: Even Young Jean had connection to the Phoenix Force. And according to the OP, she absorbed the energy from Phoenix, Galactus, Terrax and the planet itself before she preformed that feat. Not sure why that is bad showing for Galactus. Honestly, it actually seems like a decent showing of durability.

#29 Posted by lvenger (32773 posts) - - Show Bio

@krleavenger: Because it's a dumb way of showing why the SJW legacy hero is superior to the original classic character. I'm not surprised that's what Generations turned into. At least the Spider-Man vs Otto fight looked cool.

#30 Posted by KrleAvenger (23073 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger:

Because it's a dumb way of showing why the SJW legacy hero is superior to the original classic character.

Well, that makes more sense.

#31 Posted by jashro44 (43496 posts) - - Show Bio

@krleavenger:

1. I only plan on choosing 3 battles per week. I might make exceptions some weeks. We'll see.

2. Yes this segment will focus on recent battles. I have plans involving classic battles however.

3. Of course you can. I want this segment to have as much awareness as possible. It took me about an hour to pick the fights and write this up so I'll only continue if people support this segment.

#32 Posted by jashro44 (43496 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: To be fair I don't think there is an sjw agenda in the issue. Both jeans are girls and teen jean basically spend the whole issue being amazed by her older self. And all she really did was knock a starving galactus over who was unphased despite her drawing power from galactus, the Phoenix and other sources.

#33 Posted by KrleAvenger (23073 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44: Very well then. This segment will be announced later today. I would also like to be tagged to these threads in the future.

Avatar image for superdragonfly9
#34 Posted by SuperDragonfly9 (789 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought Spiderman and Venom vs carnage was pretty cool in Maximum Carnage #14. Just when they thought it was all over there was one more fight.

#35 Posted by GIliad_ (5410 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44: props for bringing back the old segment

#36 Posted by jashro44 (43496 posts) - - Show Bio

@giliad_: Thank you.

@superdragonfly9: As I said this segment will focus on the best battles in comics released this week.

#37 Posted by tensor (7780 posts) - - Show Bio

I miss this. Good stuff.

#38 Posted by lvenger (32773 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44: I still feel it's an unearned plot device moment same as when Bendis came up with Jean somehow being able to combine her TP and TK to fight Gladiator. It feels forced and out of place which seems to be the norm when the legacy heroes meet the originals.

#39 Posted by Owie (6594 posts) - - Show Bio

Great to see this brought back to life, I had forgotten about these. And three battles! Definitely continue them, and tag me, thanks.

#40 Posted by jashro44 (43496 posts) - - Show Bio
#41 Posted by Owie (6594 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to say, thinking about Phoenix vs Galactus, that the fight between Rachel Summers and Galactus in Excalibur 61 is one of my favorite fights ever. The battle is mostly splash pages, and is about as majestic art as you get (here's just a few examples).

One thing I really liked about K4tz's original Best Battles feature wasn't just that it featured cool-looking battles, it was that it got me to check out comics I wasn't reading, looking around at stuff that I wasn't aware was doing good stuff. In that same vein, I like what jash has done here in this first installment, since I haven't been reading any of the above comics, and have sort of let Transformers especially fall off my radar. Looking forward to many editions to come!

I'll try to keep in mind good fights to nominate for future weeks.

Avatar image for blackpantherisb
#42 Posted by blackpantherisb (3362 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool thread

Avatar image for jloneblackheart
#43 Posted by jloneblackheart (8410 posts) - - Show Bio

Glad to see this back.

Avatar image for major_hellstorm
#44 Posted by Major_Hellstorm (9074 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44: Can you tag me each new thread too, please?

#45 Posted by jashro44 (43496 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for major_hellstorm
#46 Posted by Major_Hellstorm (9074 posts) - - Show Bio
#47 Posted by jashro44 (43496 posts) - - Show Bio