#1 Posted by Axies (169 posts) - - Show Bio

Show versions

Round 1:Standard gear, fight at Winterfell courtyard.

Round 2: Arya gets her Winterfell spear. Beric gets a shield.

Who wins?

#3 Posted by Axies (169 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump

#4 Posted by the_red_viper (12863 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably Arya.

#5 Posted by CuckedCurry (1020 posts) - - Show Bio

Arya sweeps

#6 Edited by IAmInEvitable (100 posts) - - Show Bio

Arya stomps

#7 Posted by finalbeta (184 posts) - - Show Bio

Arya definitely

#8 Posted by King-Ragnar (4472 posts) - - Show Bio

Arya Stark is the greatest sword user in the GoT Mythos. Deal with it haters.

Avatar image for swordofdamocles
#9 Posted by SwordofDamocles (333 posts) - - Show Bio

Arya, but it's not a easy fight at all and definitely not a stomp.

#10 Posted by IAmInEvitable (100 posts) - - Show Bio

Arya, but it's not a easy fight at all and definitely not a stomp.

Why because he has a FLAMING SWORD? Beric at best might be on Yorens level. Arya beats him up and takes his Jays, easily.

#11 Posted by JediXMan (42882 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't remember Arya beating anyone 1v1 in a legitimate fight (Night King wasn't a real fight and Brienne was in a sparring match).

#12 Posted by IAmInEvitable (100 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman: Arya spars better than Beric fights seriously. She handles fodder better than Beric. Faster, younger, demonstrated more skill. Stomps. Maybe if she was scared of fire he'd stand a chance of spooking her, before dying of course.

Avatar image for marvelanddcfan24
#13 Posted by MarvelandDCfan24 (7693 posts) - - Show Bio

Arya hasnt beaten anyone ever in a match shes skilled but still a tiny girl who relies on people underestimating her and the game of faces

This could go either way

#14 Edited by SwordofDamocles (333 posts) - - Show Bio

@iaminevitable: Arya is on/close to Jorah lvl and Jorah would not stomp Beric.

#15 Posted by Amcu (17070 posts) - - Show Bio

Has Beric beaten anyone notable in 1 on 1 combat? I'm trying to remember.

#16 Posted by IAmInEvitable (100 posts) - - Show Bio
@amcu said:

Has Beric beaten anyone notable in 1 on 1 combat? I'm trying to remember.

Nope, died to both Cleganes though.

@iaminevitable: Arya is on/close to Jorah lvl and Jorah would not stomp Beric.

Beric is on Yorens level. Jorah takes Yoren handily and Beric the same.

Whether a "good fight" or not Jorah > beric at least 8.5/10 and Arya at the least 8/10 imo

#17 Posted by SwordofDamocles (333 posts) - - Show Bio

@iaminevitable: Based on what ? Yoren is actually arguably on Jorah/Arya lvl, he took down 4 armored guys while being badly wounded.

You argued with me because I said Arya can't stomp Beric, and you implied otherwise . We both know this is not true, so now dont try to change what you where saying earlier or just admit you where wrong .

As I said Arya would most likely win but that would not be a stomp by any way. The lvl of difficulty of the fight could be argued though.

#18 Edited by IAmInEvitable (100 posts) - - Show Bio
@swordofdamocles said:

@iaminevitable: Based on what ? Yoren is actually arguably on Jorah/Arya lvl

Based on the same thing you based Jorah and Arya being at the "same lvl" with. Beric and Yoren are both very average swordsmen. Their total skill level is just a peg or two above fodder soldiers. Far better comparison between the two than Arya and Jorah, yet you ask for my basis? What a joke of a question.

@swordofdamocles said:

@iaminevitable: You argued with me because I said Arya can't stomp Beric, and you implied otherwise . We both know this is not true, so now dont try to change what you where saying earlier or just admit you where wrong .

As I said Arya would most likely win but that would not be a stomp by any way. The lvl of difficulty of the fight could be argued though.

I didn't "change" anything I said, your interpretation of stomp is just different. If someone is losing a bout 85% of the time; it's a stomp. That 15% possibility of Beric defeating Jorah/Arya is based on any special battle condition. It's a rough guess. Standard armor, standard setting Jorah clears Beric every round.

The only thing you've managed to convince me of is that Beric isn't even on Yorens level LOL, good job

#19 Posted by Axies (169 posts) - - Show Bio

@iaminevitable: Berics fight against the Hound was even. He lost because his sword broke, not because the Hound outclassed him. This is the same Hound who bested four Kingsguards with ease and held out in a long fight against the Mountain. Sure, he was phobic, and affected by alcohol (I think) but its a pretty good feat still.

And Beric also has the feat of being in the thick of a fight against the Army of the Dead, twice, and not being wounded either time (until he loses his sword and sacrifices himself). Compare this to Brienne, Jaime and Arya, who arguably have worse showings than Beric in those fights.

Aryas advantage is her speed, which is why she did well against Brienne in a spar, and against the undead. Skill-wise, I’d say Beric comes up on top.

#20 Edited by IAmInEvitable (100 posts) - - Show Bio

@axies said:

@iaminevitable: Berics fight against the Hound was even. He lost because his sword broke, not because the Hound outclassed him.

Hound sliced through the sword into Beric lol, that's why he lost. Also you realize Sandor does outclass Beric, right?

@axies said:

@iaminevitable:Sure, he was phobic, and affected by alcohol (I think)

Also terminally afraid of flames, which is arguably why the fight didn't end much sooner

@axies said:

@iaminevitable: And Beric also has the feat of being in the thick of a fight against the Army of the Dead, twice, and not being wounded either time (until he loses his sword and sacrifices himself). Compare this to Brienne, Jaime and Arya, who arguably have worse showings than Beric in those fights

Fodder soldiers who they all survived against including weak-sided Jaime Lannister

I'll give him his props, he's Yorens level. Maybe he can take Theon or Edd in a good fight. Allister Throne beats him. Styr probably beats him. Euron likely beats him really bad. Standard gear, standard setting of course.

#21 Posted by Axies (169 posts) - - Show Bio

@iaminevitable: Yeah. Beric obviously lost against the Hound because he was killed. But the reason the Hound sliced through his sword was brute strenght, not skill related. But yes, the Hound when unaffected by phobia and alcohol would take Beric any day in the week.

Yes, they are fodder, but they are incredibly many, and fast, and violent. Beric has never been scratched by them, as far as I can remember, despite fighting them twice. Brienne and Tormund, among others, have been. Dont tell me that not being touched while flooded by enemies isn’t impressive.

Beric would take Theon pretty easily, I think. He’d take Thorne as well. Probably not Styr, but he is very good. Euron would be an interesting fight, which I think Beric could win. Eurons feats aren’t that great.

#22 Posted by destinyman75 (15219 posts) - - Show Bio

Strait up fight if Beric underestimate her he loses. If not he can actually win. Beric is actually a strong warrior Had some real good fights. Arya relies on suprise more then anything. Arya definitely can win though

#23 Edited by SwordofDamocles (333 posts) - - Show Bio

@iaminevitable: Based on feats Yeah. The difference between you and me is the fact I look feats in the way they should be looked . How does killing FOUR ARMORED SOLDIERS while being almost-surrounded and seriously wounded is not on a better/comparable league of the feats Arya showed ? Show me a feat where Arya do better than that and okay.

Beric and Yoren are both very average swordsmen

Yoren is most likely stronger than Beric. And he could arguably beat Arya and be likely the fight of his life for Jorah.

I didn't "change" anything I said, your interpretation of stomp is just different. If someone is losing a bout 85% of the time; it's a stomp. That 15% possibility of Beric defeating Jorah/Arya is based on any special battle condition. It's a rough guess. Standard armor, standard setting Jorah clears Beric every round.

First no. A stomp is when the opponent could not even fight back/being completely outclassed in every way, without any chance of doing really any factual thing, which is not the case here. You are the one who are setting up the 85-15 thing, and associate it to a stomp, dont make it like it's a fact.

#24 Posted by JediXMan (42882 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman: Arya spars better than Beric fights seriously. She handles fodder better than Beric. Faster, younger, demonstrated more skill. Stomps. Maybe if she was scared of fire he'd stand a chance of spooking her, before dying of course.

Wasn't Beric sent after the Mountain by Ned? And if we're going to count sparring, he has great accolades against experienced fighters in tourneys. And while he did have an advantage with a flaming sword, he did almost beat the Hound.

Arya has no feats except against fodder. She's a fan favorite because people like her.

#25 Edited by huthimamwa (2594 posts) - - Show Bio

Arya being the greatest swordsman in GoT because she momentarily got the better of a severely holding back Breinne in a sparring match will NEVER get old. Lolz. Arya wankers are adorable.

#26 Edited by IAmInEvitable (100 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:
@iaminevitable said:

Wasn't Beric sent after the Mountain by Ned? And if we're going to count sparring, he has great accolades against experienced fighters in tourneys. And while he did have an advantage with a flaming sword, he did almost beat the Hound.

Arya has no feats except against fodder. She's a fan favorite because people like her.

With a small army, yes and he died for it pretty horribly if I remember right. I don't know anything about his tourney victories because they aren't mentioned in the show and I don't read the books. Arya sparred evenly with Brienne, killed waif in the dark, and has shown great precision speed and skill. Plus she has a 100 sneak with all perks unlocked.

Regardless of aryas "fan status" I'm thinking she wins mostly for reasons such as speed and more on the fact that beric isn't as impressive.

#27 Posted by IAmInEvitable (100 posts) - - Show Bio
Yoren is most likely stronger than Beric.

bAsEd On WhAt

First no. A stomp is when the opponent could not even fight back/being completely outclassed in every way, without any chance of doing really any factual thing, which is not the case here. You are the one who are setting up the 85-15 thing, and associate it to a stomp, dont make it like it's a fact.

Show me it in websters otherwise NOPE!

#28 Posted by Redshift_Bacon (911 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, Arya sweeps. Not a stomp but she sweeps, at least 7/10 times. Beric is a lot better than your average knight but hes not in the upper tiers and certainly isn't enough to provide a legitimate threat to Arya.

#29 Posted by SwordofDamocles (333 posts) - - Show Bio

@iaminevitable:

Based on killing four fully armored Lannister while being alone, seriously wounded, and almost surrounded ? All of that in seconds ? Like I said three times ? This is betters than Beric feats. But if you want to play fool and ignore facts without providing arguments go ahead.

About stomp. Just go ahead and look the threads about it, or how people use it, if you use stomp in the wrong way that is your fault not mine. stomp= a victory without efforts at all. Like Jon when he kill a Lannister soldier or a Bolton in 2 sec. That is a stomp

stompThe act of throwing someone on the ground and stepping on the very hard over and over again. This is extremely painful. Only do this to people whom you don't like.
stomp definition: 1. to walk with intentionally heavy steps, especially as a way of showing that you are annoyed: 2. to put a foot down on the ground hard and quickly, making a loud noise, often to show anger: 3. to put your foot down so that it hits the ground with a lot of force, or to walk

#30 Posted by JediXMan (42882 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:
@iaminevitable said:

With a small army, yes and he died for it pretty horribly if I remember right. I don't know anything about his tourney victories because they aren't mentioned in the show and I don't read the books.

My mistake. I confused Beric for Thoros. Thoros of Myr won a 40-man melee fight, and beats Beric in a joust (Thoros is more of a fighter in the books).

Arya sparred evenly with Brienne, killed waif in the dark, and has shown great precision speed and skill. Plus she has a 100 sneak with all perks unlocked.

Arya was using live steel in a sparring match, which Brienne was not (she was using a blunt practice weapon). Killing a woman in the dark is not a good feat, and it happened off screen.

Regardless of aryas "fan status" I'm thinking she wins mostly for reasons such as speed and more on the fact that beric isn't as impressive.

Arya has no speed feats, so I don't know where you're going with that.

Beric still has more notoriety as a knight than Arya does as an assassin who didn't finish her training. She only has stealth feats and has yet to actually beat anyone 1v1.

#31 Posted by IAmInEvitable (100 posts) - - Show Bio

@iaminevitable:

Based on killing four fully armored Lannister while being alone, seriously wounded, and almost surrounded ? All of that in seconds ? Like I said three times ? This is betters than Beric feats. But if you want to play fool and ignore facts without providing arguments go ahead.

This does not validate your claim that "Yoren is most likely stronger than Beric". You don't know what he can do against the same fodder Lannister soldiers, and he actually has arguably more impressive feats; as someone earlier mentioned, he survived fighting the army of the dead without a scratch on two occasions, but if you want to play fool and pretend like you have an argument, go ahead.

About stomp. Just go ahead and look the threads about it, or how people use it, if you use stomp in the wrong way that is your fault not mine. stomp= a victory without efforts at all. Like Jon when he kill a Lannister soldier or a Bolton in 2 sec. That is a stomp

stompThe act of throwing someone on the ground and stepping on the very hard over and over again. This is extremely painful. Only do this to people whom you don't like.

stomp definition: 1. to walk with intentionally heavy steps, especially as a way of showing that you are annoyed: 2. to put a foot down on the ground hard and quickly, making a loud noise, often to show anger: 3. to put your foot down so that it hits the ground with a lot of force, or to walk

I don't see how those real definitions apply to its usage in this scenario (it doesn't) but you tried anyway. Fact is.. NOPE! and my statement remains Arya stomps 8/10.

#32 Edited by IAmInEvitable (100 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman: Speed, maneuverability, quickness whatever you want to call it. Her draw, her movements; whatever you attribute that too since you don't consider it speed.

#33 Edited by SwordofDamocles (333 posts) - - Show Bio

@iaminevitable:

This does not validate your claim that "Yoren is most likely stronger than Beric".

Yes it does. When you don't have background-feats/validate statement to support lack of onscreen feats .

You don't know what he can do against the same fodder Lannister soldiers

Judging by feats he can't do as well and not better.

, and he actually has arguably more impressive feats; as someone earlier mentioned, he survived fighting the army of the dead without a scratch on two occasions, but if you want to play fool and pretend like you have an argument, go ahead.

That was not more impressive than killing four armored men while being seriously wounded and almost surrounded.

I don't see how those real definitions apply to its usage in this scenario (it doesn't) but you tried anyway. Fact is.. NOPE! and my statement remains Arya stomps 8/10.

It's called context. You don't take definitions and applicate them the way you want, it would be like if I say "Arthur Dayne slaughter Jon in a good fight"

#34 Edited by JediXMan (42882 posts) - - Show Bio
@iaminevitable said:

@jedixman: Speed, maneuverability, quickness whatever you want to call it. Her draw, her movements; whatever you attribute that too since you don't consider it speed.

Because I don't think any of what you just said is true. She hasn't shown great "draw speed" (idk what that means; she drew her sword quickly? Her dagger? Cool, I guess?), great maneuverability, or "quickness" (I think "swiftness" is more accurate, but now I'm being pedantic).

She has only fought fodder and performed stealth kills (Night King qualifies as a stealth kill and was not a demonstration of any of your speed claims), and has not performed better in actual combat than the average character. She survived the horde? Cool, so did Sam. She survived the sacking of King's Landing? Cool, so did Jon, Grey Worm, Davos, a random white horse, and presumably a couple civilians (I doubt she got them all).

#35 Edited by IAmInEvitable (100 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman: I think somewhere you've been mistaken into thinking I'm trying to convince you of something. Never used the word "great" preceding any of the attributes used to describe Aryas potency in movement (you did) however she is easily far superior to old one-eyed beric, and if you want to continue to argue terribly with "iT hAsNt bEeN deMonStrAtEd iN fEaTs" then there is no point here. Not a big fan of subtlety are you? I didn't think it needed be that much more spelled out for anyone that Arya is far quicker than Beric but sure.

Using the same "bad writing" you likely criticize to illustrate a point isn't really a sound argument. Compared to Arya, Beric is fodder. Moreover I don't see how "Killing a woman in the dark is not a good feat" and what the hell it happening off screen has to do with it. Cheers.

#36 Edited by JediXMan (42882 posts) - - Show Bio

@iaminevitable:

I'd respond, but given that you are comfortable blatantly lying and your general attitude I don't feel the need to give you a legitimate response.

"Never used the word "great" preceding any of the attributes used to describe Aryas potency in movement (you did)"

Post 26.

"has shown great precision speed and skill."

If you want to be taken seriously, refrain from misrepresenting your opponent so obnoxiously. Not a good look. Speed in combat is the same thing as movement in combat.

#37 Edited by rarelandpupper (399 posts) - - Show Bio

Arya killed the Night King who clapped a dragon so

#38 Edited by GateOfBabylon (4601 posts) - - Show Bio

Arya lacks notable feats and Beric's best was doing well against the Hound while making use of his fear of fire.

Could go either way.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
#39 Posted by blackspidey2099 (6734 posts) - - Show Bio

Arya wrecks.

#40 Edited by The_Magister (14453 posts) - - Show Bio
#41 Posted by IAmInEvitable (100 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman: Never used the word "great" preceding any of the attributes used to describe Aryas potency in movement

@jedixman said:

@iaminevitable:

Post 26.

"has shown great precision,speed and skill."

*Face throwing a kiss emoji*

@jedixman said:

@iaminevitable:

Speed in combat is the same thing as movement in combat.

But not the same as precision...

#42 Posted by JediXMan (42882 posts) - - Show Bio

@iaminevitable said:

@jedixman: Never used the word "great" preceding any of the attributes used to describe Aryas potency in movement

@jedixman said:

@iaminevitable:

Post 26.

"has shown great precision,speed and skill."

*Face throwing a kiss emoji*
@jedixman said:

@iaminevitable:

Speed in combat is the same thing as movement in combat.

But not the same as precision...

"Great precision, speed and skill"

The "great" modifier applies to precision, speed, andskill. Unless you mean "precision speed" which, again, you qualify as great, therefore qualifying the speed as great.

Nice try, though.