Each and every month, the Comic Vine community picks a new character to receive some extra focus and love. This month, the most iconic female superhero, Wonder Woman, has earned the spot. This means we'll eventually praise some of her coolest covers, talk about some of her great stories, and much, much more, but it also means we're also going to put her abilities as a combatant to the test each and every week! Diana's first opponent: Beta Ray Bill!
Will Wonder Woman's reflexes, skill, and weaponry allow her to drop her enemy? Or will Beta Ray Bill and his weapon, Stormbreaker, defeat the heroine from DC? Who will be left standing when these two powerhouses clash? In the end, the verdict will be determined by the voters, so go ahead and read the votes and give it some proper thought before picking a winner!
- Combatants are in character.
- This is a random encounter (no prep for either side) and both characters have standard gear.
- This is pre-New 52 Wonder Woman.
- They're fighting in a generic city setting. They're in a 5x5 block area which is unpopulated, but everything around that section is full of civilians and they're both aware of this. It takes place during the day and they start roughly 100 feet apart and visible. Everything in the city (let's say the city is the size of Manhattan and surrounded by ocean) is on limits.
- Incapacitation, knockout, BFR (battlefield removal, which means knocking someone so far away that the fight cannot continue in the very near future) or death all count as elimination. Making a tactical retreat counts as a loss, too. "What's a tactical retreat?" It's leaving the fight with the intention of not returning to the battle in the immediate future. Going to another spot in the environment to catch your breath for a moment or two or for a tactical advantage is not a tactical retreat.
- Hey, you know what would be really cool? Treating everyone else in the debate with respect. If you think someone's saying something that just isn't true, go ahead and stick to the facts to point out why. There's no need at all to drop insults just because you disagree with someone. Seriously, this is just talking about a fictional fight, there's no need for immaturity and mudslinging.
- If you think the poll isn't going how it should, making an informative post about why a character is being underestimated and spreading the word is far more useful than complaining. Just saying.
- One more thing: you don't need to write an essay to have your post highlighted in Friday's article. Sometimes concise posts can be way more effective than a flood of paragraphs.
Check the homepage this Friday for an updated article with the following:
- Thoughts from the staff.
- Viner Arguments for both characters.
- If we're lucky, blurbs from industry talent.
Check back on Friday for the results and more. Want to suggest a future Battle of the Week for Wonder Woman? Tell us below or share it via twitter.