Battle of the Week VOTING: Cyclops vs. Nightwing & Robin

This topic is locked from further discussion.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

k4tzm4n  Moderator

Poll Battle of the Week VOTING: Cyclops vs. Nightwing & Robin (468 votes)

Cyclops 44%
Nightwing & Robin (Damian Wayne) 52%
Too close to call 3%

Want to vote but you don't have an account? Well, what are you waiting for?! Signing up is beyond simple. CLICK HERE to register and then you'll be able to vote in all of our polls and join the countless discussions. Go on, make an account!*

Our latest Character of the Month, Scott Summers, a.k.a. Cyclops, defeated his first challenger and now he's ready for his next obstacle: Dick Grayson & Damian Wayne! The X-Man has a sharp mind and accurate, concussive blasts, but will that be enough to defeat Nightwing and Robin? Will the numbers advantage help or harm team DC? If Damian gets tagged, how will that impact Nightwing's performance? Will Dick & Damian's gear allow them to get close and knock out their target? And how would this go down if it does become close quarters combat? There's a lotto think about with this one and hopefully you'll give it some proper consideration before casting your vote! After you've selected a winner -- or too close to call -- go to the comments and let the world know how you think this match would play out.

Match Rules

• Combatants are in character.
  • This is a random encounter (aka no prep for either side).
  • Cyclops' powers are pre-AvX.
  • Nightwing and Damian have their standard New 52 gear.
  • They're fighting in a generic downtown city setting. It's unpopulated, at night and all standard city lights remain on. Assume they start roughly 40 feet apart and visible. However, there is a good amount of cover in the location (parked vehicles, bus stops and such) and the entire area is on limits (alleys, rooftops, building interiors, the sewer, etc).
  • Incapacitation, knockout or death all count as elimination. Making a tactical retreat counts as a loss, too. "What's a tactical retreat?" It's leaving the fight with the intention of not returning to the battle in the immediate future. Going to another spot in the environment to catch your breath for a moment or two or for a tactical advantage is not a tactical retreat.
  • Hey, you know what would be really cool? Treating everyone else in the debate with respect. If you think someone's saying something that just isn't true, go ahead and stick to the facts to point out why. There's no need at all to drop insults just because you disagree with someone. Seriously, this is just talking about a fictional fight, there's no need for immaturity and mudslinging.
  • If you think the poll isn't going how it should, making an informative post about why a character is being underestimated and spreading the word is far more useful than complaining. Just saying.
  • One more thing: you don't need to write an essay to have your post highlighted in Friday's article. Sometimes concise posts can be way more effective than a flood of paragraphs.

Check the homepage this Friday for an updated article with the following:

• Thoughts from the staff.
  • Viner Arguments for both characters (can't include scans and must be in the poll thread).
  • If we're lucky, blurbs from industry talent.

Want to suggest a match for an upcoming Battle of the Week for Cyclops? Tell us below or share it via twitter.

• 
Belphegor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Cyclops.

serrure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

oh damn... didnt expect that. ima back Cyke though i could see Nightwing pulling something off.

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By HushoftheWind

Honestly he should be fighting Nightwing on his own. Adding Damien to the mix is just unfair. Cyke is going to blast a kid full on.

I think Dick's body ready skills are going to put to good use here. I see this fight going mainly Grayson vs Summers, with Grayson keeping Cyke busy while Damien readies the finishing blow from the shadows.

Now if this was open area then the majority would definitely go to Scott, but the playground is too perfect for the dynamic duo.

grinderkiller1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyclops.....He beat the X-Men Once or twice so two skilled guys might not be a problem.....but i can see nightwing pull a win somehow

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@hushofthewind said:

Honestly he should be fighting Nightwing on his own. Adding Damien to the mix is just unfair. Cyke is going to blast a kid full on.

Disagree. I think it would be an uphill fight for Nightwing if he was solo (not saying he can't win or give Cyclops trouble, I just think it's a big challenge for him). Adding Damian makes it far more interesting and adds more variables. Much more to think about ;)

serrure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

guy just took a majority over Wolverine... Cyke would take down Nightwing easily.

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hushofthewind: The two on one really puts an interesting twist on this. Nightwing alone would be a great threat to Cyke, and he and Damien make a great team together in a fight... Gonna have to mull this one over a bit.

nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh gawd. Two strong favorites of mine.....I have to chew on this for a couple days.

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickthedevil: I know, right? I'll be hitting up the respective DC and Marvel wikis over the next few days and going over some stuff.

Kuyamu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think if it was Dick and Tim, Cyke would win. Since its Dick a Damian, they are really good team together. So I am going to have to say Nightwing and Robin.

serrure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

dont get me wrong i Hate Cyclops and theres nothing id like more than to see him lose but the feats have to be there for him to lose. the feats arent here in this case.

darktiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I'm thinking the duo may have this but barely but ill get back to this

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@serrure said:

@hushofthewind said:

guy just took a majority over Wolverine... Cyke would take down Nightwing easily.

he did NOT take a majority over Wolverine.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

Too many Cyclops fanboys on here haha

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Gracetrack

Pretty interesting battle...

My initial feeling is to go with the team on this one. Nightwing by himself would be able to give Cyclops trouble in this scenario, but then give him a teammate as skilled as Damien? Well, I just think Cyke is going to be in trouble. Also, he doesn't know these two like he knows Wolverine (who was only one opponent to worry about as opposed to two), so he's going to be testing the waters a bit to start, which means more time for Dick and Damien to form a winning strategy. Damien can distract while Nightwing closes in from behind, or vice versa.

I need to think on this one a little more, but right now I'm giving the edge to D & D.

Catsnlynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyclops.

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If your adding damian to the mix its pretty much batman and robin vs cyclops right?

Avatar image for surfingthehighway
SurfingtheHighway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

@hushofthewind said:

Disagree. I think it would be an uphill fight for Nightwing if he was solo (not saying he can't win or give Cyclops trouble, I just think it's a big challenge for him). Adding Damian makes it far more interesting and adds more variables. Much more to think about ;)

WOULD Cyclops fire his optic blast against a kid? That's what I'm mainly worried about...

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, Damian? Come on that kid is crazy and will go for the kill, Cyke ain't like that and both of them are gonna be a lot of distraction.

HushoftheWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@viin: pretty much, yes. Since Dick and Damien time as Batman and Robin is still canon.

serrure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too many Cyclops fanboys on here haha

lol what an excellent debate with facts and scans and good arguments. lol

@serrure said:

@hushofthewind said:

YEAH he did. regardless of how you feel it happened. also regardless how you feel Nightwing would take maybe 3/10 over Cyke (and im being generous)

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oooooh. this is tough. I'd say Cyke could take Nightwing in a very close match. But then Damian is running around there.

The main issue is that Cyke is holding back because they're human(as far as he knows) and i don't think he would even fire his eyes at a kid so Damian is likely to get close. Unlike Wolverine the issue isn't going to be how he will pull out when he fires....it's whether he will fire at one of his opponents at all, and if he can even catch the other even with rebound blast. Scott's eyes are tied behind his back in this one.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@surfingthehighway said:
@k4tzm4n said:

@hushofthewind said:

WOULD Cyclops fire his optic blast against a kid? That's what I'm mainly worried about...

He wouldn't go all out, but I see no reason why he wouldn't be willing to defend himself with a blast that's just powerful enough to knock an opponent out. I'm guessing it'll be established pretty swiftly that Damian isn't someone he should underestimate.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@serrure said:

@hushofthewind said:

In the poll last week he did. Barely IIRC.

@serrure said:

@hushofthewind said:

Your using ABC logic. Nightwing may not be as tough or skilled as wolverine but he is more acrobatic and he's isn't slow. Not saying nightwing solos but I wouldn't say cyclops beats wolverine therefore he beats nightwing. Nightwing is bringing different skills and abilities to the fight as opposed to wolverine.

serrure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: he may be more acrobatic but in terms of who's actually faster Wolverine still takes the cake. not sure why Cyke would have any trouble taggin Nightwing when hes tagged considerably faster opponents

Avatar image for surfingthehighway
SurfingtheHighway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:
@surfingthehighway said:
@k4tzm4n said:

@hushofthewind said:

He wouldn't go all out, but I see no reason why he wouldn't be willing to defend himself with a blast that's just powerful enough to knock an opponent out. I'm guessing it'll be established pretty swiftly that Damian isn't someone he should underestimate.

Specially if he somehow finds out these guys were trained by The Batman, who has already bested Cykes in a previous battle :P

Avatar image for doctorthomaselliot
DoctorThomasElliot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love this fight choice. This will be a very interesting battle for Summers. Grayson and Wayne are so well trained in various tactics that they have basically become in sync during battles, one fighting the opponent while the other studies his/her movements and weaknesses in order to prepare a thorough plan of attack. However, Scott will most likely see through this strategy and will use his energy blasts to take out both opponents. Big mistake on his part. Grayson and Wayne will most likely use their gadgets such as smoke pellets or some sort of projectile adhesive to temporarily blind the X-man. During his moment of weakness, both boys will use their knowledge of multiple martial arts and pressure points to quickly render the mutant unconscious before he has time to recover. Leaving them the winner of this fight.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jashro44

@serrure said:

@jashro44: he may be more acrobatic but in terms of who's actually faster Wolverine still takes the cake. not sure why Cyke would have any trouble taggin Nightwing when hes tagged considerably faster opponents

Because nightwing has his own ranged weaponry, and all though he isn't as good as cyclops is in accuracy he can use his batarangs to pin cyclops behind cover to get in close.

Avatar image for blackhawk000111
blackhawk000111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyclops is good but he can't keep up with two of the best acrobats in DC Universe.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nightwing and Damian are a pretty great team. I feel like they should be able to take cyclops but it won't be easy.

Comicdude360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got to go with night-wing and robin here. The thing I'm worried about for cyclops is that he's been tagged by daredevil and that's who I consider nightwing to be about equal to. Don't get me wrong I like cyclops and he's no slouch in hand to hand but he would lose to dick in hth. Damian however makes it interesting if he were to get tagged I feel like nw wouldn't be able to concentrate but that's the problem with this being in character cyclops is gonna go for nightwing first because he doesn't want to kill the kid. I think cyclops could hold nw back temporarily but if Damian is flanking him what good will that do. And if he goes hand to hand with Damian (be won't go for the direct blast at most he will try to hit around him) he won't usually win. And even if he does what good will that do when there's no doubt that dick will be right there. Team 8.5/10

Leafx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Easily Dick and Damien. Just one of them would put up a fight, but both?? both are two of the best hand to hand combatants, both are stealth masters, and both have tons of gadgets to use, I don't see Scott walking away from this one.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

First things first, beating Wolverine by 2% in a poll doesn't mean he would actually take a majority. I didn't take place in last week's vote, but it doesn't mean he definitively wins.

Secondly you can't compare the head on approach of Wolverine to the stealth and acrobatics of Dick and Damien. They fight completely differently. It isn't about Wolverine being more skilled or tougher, it's about how he fights.

Not to mention Cyclops is VERY familiar with Logan and knows he can hit him full bore and Logan will survive. He knows nothing about Nightwing and Robin (no prior knowledge) so why would he open up as hard? I don't see last week's fight being comparable to this one at all.

As for who would win? I think I'll ponder that one a bit.

G_leno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate Cyclops more than any other character, possibly in the whole of comicdom, but I really cant see hime losing this fight. He can tag enemies with super speed, he can take both these characters out with one hit, maybe even the same shot with a ricochet shot. Plus if th vine thinks he han hold his own in combat with wolverine, whats Nightwing gonna do?

I think Damian will give him more trouble being as he is willing to kill and the fact that he is a child may make Cyk hesitate, but I think the annoying douche that is the one eyed monster will win.

Krypton-115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyclops for sure, not only will he take at least one of the two with his optic blasts from a distance, but I'm confident in Scott's abilities in hand to hand combat.

serrure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44 said:

@serrure said:

Because nightwing has his own ranged weaponry, and all though he isn't as good as cyclops is in accuracy he can use his batarangs to pin cyclops behind cover to get in close.

hes not like Batman he doesnt use his tech as often as he should he relies far more on his physicals

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll have to give this to Nightwing and Robin for a few reasons. They have worked together for a while and there is a lot of respect between them, that means a lot in terms of trust and teamwork. Damian has been trained by the League of Assassin's and both of them have been trained by Batman. They're both good at range and up close combat. Nightwing has great speed and acrobatics, plus they have numbers on their side. I do know that Cyclops can do quite a bit, is a great strategist, but so is Damian, and we've seen that Damian will fight to the death. I'm not sure Cyclops would go all out on Damian and most likely would underestimate him. Nightwing would go for the knockout, but I'm sure if push came to shove, Damian would be the only one going for the kill. You just need Nightwing to distract Cyke, and Damian would take him out.

Avatar image for generalpatton93
GeneralPatton93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Nightwing and Robin take this one.

Point one: when Scott sees Robin is a kid he's going to tone down the blasts, and that's just the edge they would need.

Point two: When Nightwing and Robin see Scotts eye blasts they will go in full stealth mode and with the their skills and the amount of cover Scott doesn't stand a chance.

Thorverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love Nightwing, but I'm going with Cyclops.

Avatar image for digitalshooter9
DigitalShooter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No need to be delusional here.. We have two proficient acrobats that are trained by one of DC's best tacticians. Not to mention both are equipped impressively as well.

Most straightforward way Dick and Damian can win is that one of them, (preferably Dick) keeps Scott busy using his agility by leaping around and avoiding optic blasts (which I think Dick is perfectly capable of) while Damian simply darts Scott in the head with a projectile from far away or sneaks up on him and takes him out.

Up close, I doubt Scott can beat either in h2h.. Well, maybe he can hang with Damian but Nightwing would make a short work of him.

Not to mention Nightwing by himself could also have chances of sneaking in to Scott or just avoiding his blasts and then pummeling his face in with an escrima throw from cover.

Both of the duo are tacticians just like Scott, and I don't see them losing as long as they play their cards right and utilize each other correctly.

The duo for a 8/10 win.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MAZAHS117

Eh...Leaning towards Team Birdboys

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Dick & Damian's first move would be to take out the lights. Scott's #1 fear is not being able to see where he's firing.

spidershamrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see this as a contest, Nightwing stomps on his own

jwrose5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a hard one. The guy who can make things explode just by looking at them vs the trained to perfection students of the Bat. Nightwing's chatter might be enough to distract Cyclops while Damian can do the whole stab him in the back bit, but Scott would be expecting it. Scott is a brilliant tactician and would make to counter the Dynamic Duo but Nightwing is a fan of improvisation which is hard to predict, let alone counter. Cyclops is used to working in a team setting or fighting one on one. Fighting one against two, acrobats and trained fighters that are fairly decent tacticians themselves (well, at least one of them are,) is enough to level the playing field.

Unlike Wolverine, these two can fight at a range. Batarangs, smoke grenades, explosives, swords, tasers, etc. In order to win, Nightwing and Robin have to divide his attention, bombard him with attacks in a guerrilla warfare style because attacking him close up and staying there is dangerous to their health. They are expert hand to hand combatants, but their best bet is to keep moving.

Damian might fall due to overconfidence, in which case Nightwing has to take Cyclops on, blind him if he can, and hit him hard. Key phrase is "If he can". If Nightwing gets tagged saving Damian from Cyclops, then Damian is going to give Cyclops some major pain before the Boy Wonder goes down for the count too. Taking down one of the two might give Cyclops the momentum he needs to finish this fight. Or it could motivate one of the two to step up their game and put the mutant leader down.

Because its one on two, I give it to the sons of Batman. But if Cyclops manages to tag one of them (most likely Damian, or Dick saving Damian's ass) then depending on who it is, it can go either way.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I will give it to the Dynamic Duo.Two heads are better than one and in this case these two could do it.

Using smoke screens to keep him blind to get inside and tag him.

To Sleeping gas or Sleeping dart from distant.

To Cyclops inc character underestimate Damain and see that he is a kid and would not try to hurt him which would be his downfall

Scott best shot is to the tag the duo with his blast once they are exposed.We all know that from training with Batman there is no way one robin is going to get shot and the other try a frontal assault on him once they see his power.So Scott best chance of a win is a Mega Optic Blast taking out both at the same time.

DADDY_XERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By DADDY_XERO

awwww man, my fave character from marvel vs my number 1 (nightwing) and 5 (robin) from dc

i need to give this some serious thought

Avatar image for digitalshooter9
DigitalShooter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By DigitalShooter9

I don't see this as a contest, Nightwing stomps on his own

Well that's stretching it.. Nightwing is agile enough to leap around Scott's blasts, but without Damian I don't think he can close in enough to get a hit in. He gets shot once and it is pretty much over for him.

Dick can keep Scott busy if he ONLY focuses on evading his blasts. But focusing on both evading, and attacking Scott, chances of him doing that on his own are quite low...

Together the duo can win. But individually, none of them can even gain a majority against let alone stomp Scott.

Overlander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#49  Edited By Overlander
No Caption Provided

Cyclops will give them a stern talking-to and they will be off on their way.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 owie  Moderator

Hard one.

Cyke could theoretically go with a wide open--but low power--blast to knock them both out at once, but if they go right into cover they could theoretically dodge. Unlike Wolverine, he could KO them in one hit, if he hits.

Not to beat a dead horse, but targeted beams that can be dodged are not his only option, he can go with a 90+ degree beam that is NOT overpowered for fighting baseline humans, and would be pretty hard to dodge:

No Caption Provided

They could split up an attack from two directions, which would make it harder--although Cyke could also theoretically shoot a glancing blast that bounces around and hits both of them in one beam (optimally, not counting dodging).

They have good ranged attacks too, and with more variety (gas etc.).

Regarding whether Cyke would shoot at Damien at all, he can control the intensity of his blasts, so he can certainly hit him with just enough power to knock him out. I don't think that's a problem.

Even if they get up close to melee range, he can still continue to shoot his blast, as he did in his Schism fight with Wolverine. So he can fight with his H2H skills (which are definitely lower than Nightwing's) while still blasting out--that's a hard combo to beat.

I think gas/sonics may be the team's best bet, not sure who has the majority though.

I'll think about this one.