• 88 results
emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

emperorthanos-  Moderator

Poll Battle of the Week: TMNT vs Avatar Team (71 votes)

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 34%
Too Close to Call 8%
No Caption Provided

For this weeks Battle of the Week, we have a street tier team battle between the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles taking on a Avatar team consisting of Azula, Zuko, Ty Lee and Mai.

Rules

• Combatants are in character.
  • This is a random encounter (no prep for either side) and both characters have standard gear. Composite Comics for the TMNT. No lightening for the fire benders
  • They're fighting in a generic city setting. It takes place during the day and they start roughly 100 feet apart and visible. Everything in the city (let's say the city is the size of Manhattan and surrounded by ocean) is on limits.
  • Incapacitation, knockout, BFR (battlefield removal, which means knocking someone so far away that the fight cannot continue in the very near future) or death all count as elimination. Making a tactical retreat counts as a loss, too. "What's a tactical retreat?" It's leaving the fight with the intention of not returning to the battle in the immediate future. Going to another spot in the environment to catch your breath for a moment or two or for a tactical advantage is not a tactical retreat.
  • Treating everyone else in the debate with respect is a sign of a good debater. If you think someone's saying something that just isn't true, go ahead and stick to the facts to point out why. There's no need at all to drop insults just because you disagree with someone. This is just talking about a fictional fight, there's no need for immaturity and mudslinging about fan fic.
  • If you think the votes aren't going how they should, making an informative post about why a character is being underestimated and spreading the word is far more useful than complaining.
  • One more thing: you don't need to write an essay to have your post highlighted in Friday's article. Sometimes concise posts can be way more effective than a flood of paragraphs. Viner posts that stand out will be included at the end.
  • Votes last till late Friday, and the votes will be posted in the OP to see where combatants stand by Friday. Votes do not determine who wins, only who the majority at the time sides with.

Special thanks to @k4tzm4n for allowing me and other users to continue making these battle of the week threads.

• 
Avatar image for milliardopeacecraft
MilliardoPeacecraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LMFAO

lock this

how do you tag admins?

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By tparks

Kind of a weird matchup. Aren’t Avatar characters known for throwing all kinds of AOE attacks around? This seems like a pretty clear win for Avatar unless I’m missing something.

Avatar image for milliardopeacecraft
MilliardoPeacecraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks said:

Kind of a weird matchup. Aren’t Avatar characters known for throwing all kinds of AOE attacks around? This seems like a pretty clear win for Avatar.

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By WollfMyth209

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks: Do you not watch Avatar? If the TMNT can handle the damage output of Krang, then they aren’t helpless here. Also only Zuko and Azula are benders, and it’s not like the turtles don’t have advantages of their own, such as superior ninja abilities and physicals stats.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By tparks

@allstarsuperman: I don’t watch Avatar.

The turtles handle Krang’s physical attacks, but dodge his energy attacks, which have some AOE, but it’s not like a big ball of fire that changes directions, it’s things like lasers and missiles that they just get out of the way of. And there is only one of Krang, and 2-3 turtles when they fight him.

I’m just thinking if there is no room to dodge, agility only means so much. There are four characters, who from my limited understanding, can all spam aoe attacks that can change direction and take up large areas of the battlefield. Wouldn’t dodging one attack just push them into the aoe of another attack? Meanwhile the turtles are limited to throwing stars from range, which they probably wouldn’t use on a bunch of kids, even if we are considering Mirage morals for Raph and Leo.

SuperGoku17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks said:

Kind of a weird matchup. Aren’t Avatar characters known for throwing all kinds of AOE attacks around? This seems like a pretty clear win for Avatar unless I’m missing something.

Vertigo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zuko and Azula's AOE have me convinced that they can do some serious damage if not take the win

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 juiceboks  Moderator

@tparks: Only the middle two characters can create fire.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@juiceboks: They have pretty much complete control of it, don’t they? From the clips I’ve seen, it seems like they’re more of a mid tier character. The turtles can fight mid tier characters that are bricks or psychics, but something like giant balls of fire that moves in whatever direction the benders want seems like it would be difficult for characters who are just slightly superhuman to take on.

TheWatcherKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see why the Turtles can't win.

King-Ragnar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 juiceboks  Moderator

@tparks: I mean..they're not Pyro if that's what you're asking. They usually fight with standard fireballs as projectiles but can mix it up with some more creative uses. However none of their attacks are unavoidable

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 morpheus_  Moderator

If the Turtles close the gap, it's a bloodbath.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#16 JediXMan  Moderator

@tparks said:

@juiceboks: They have pretty much complete control of it, don’t they? From the clips I’ve seen, it seems like they’re more of a mid tier character. The turtles can fight mid tier characters that are bricks or psychics, but something like giant balls of fire that moves in whatever direction the benders want seems like it would be difficult for characters who are just slightly superhuman to take on.

You might be thinking of their final fight. When Zuko and Azula fought in the finale, both were amped beyond their usual capabilities due to the presence of Sozin's Comet (which amped all Fire Benders in the world)

Loading Video...

TheTruthIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By TheTruthIII
Loading Video...

Turtles get turned into BBQ. And that's disregarding Azula's lightning (which she tends to spam as soon as she's pushed into a corner)

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TMNTs are insanely strong and durable. I feel like they're getting underestimated here.

TheWatcherKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

Turtles get turned into BBQ. And that's disregarding Azula's lightning (which she tends to spam as soon as she's pushed into a corner)

You know they were amped here right? And I trust that you read the OP that clearly says Azula can't use her lightning?

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman: Those are the clips I was thinking of. They’re usually weaker then that?

TheTruthIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheTruthIII

@thewatcherking said:
@thetruthiii said:
Loading Video...

You know they were amped here right? And I trust that you read the OP that clearly says Azula can't use her lightning?

Oops. I saw composite and assumed it applied to the firebenders and their Sozin's Comet feats, not just the Turtles

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JediXMan  Moderator

@tparks said:

@jedixman: Those are the clips I was thinking of. They’re usually weaker then that?

Much weaker. Which is not to say that they are weak in general, but that scene makes them appear stronger than they usually are. Same for Ozai, whose only real feats are with Sozin's Comet with the exception of one (though he's hyped to be around Iroh's level).

Azula also utilizes her agility and h2h skills a lot more than that scene would suggest. Here's a decent compilation.

Loading Video...

Trixie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Avatar team with Azula as MVP. I like the fan art of them btw.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman: I don't think she used any fire powers in that. She seems like a pretty typical character in a TMNT comic now. lol

WTF? I thought that whole show was filled with bending elements all over the place based on every time I've seen them in the battle forums. I have no idea who would win now, because I'm apparently completely ignorant. lol

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JediXMan  Moderator

@tparks said:

@jedixman: I don't think she used any fire powers in that. She seems like a pretty typical character in a TMNT comic now. lol

WTF? I thought that whole show was filled with bending elements all over the place based on every time I've seen them in the battle forums. I have no idea who would win now, because I'm apparently completely ignorant. lol

To be fair, in a few scenes Azula was powerless (fire benders are amped by Sozin's Comet, but powerless under a solar eclipse). But benders incorporate martial arts in their bending. When they bend, it's usually combined with a real martial art stance or move. Air bending is heavily based on tai chi, for example.

Here's a good fight. No amps. The blue fire is Azula, the normal fire is Zuko.

Loading Video...

comic_book_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By comic_book_fan

the turtles have dealt with elemental s who had similar powers and the turtles are way faster stronger and better coordinated and they will piss azula off royally this could go either way but i am leaning turtles

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JediXMan  Moderator

the turtles have dealt with elemental s who had similar powers and the turtles are way faster stronger and better coordinated and they will piss azula off royally this could go either way but i am leaning turtles

This team actually has pretty good coordination. The four of them have been together since they were young children. Azula and Zuko trained together and sparred. We saw Azula, Ty Lee, and Mai defeat the five Kyoshi warriors - who, themselves, had great coordination, as demonstrated by when they reflexively formed a shield wall against Azula's fire balls - with relative ease. While the turtles might be stronger, I'm not so sure about faster.

Avatar image for deactivated-61a1b6940ec47
deactivated-61a1b6940ec47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the comic versions are anything close to their 2003 show version, they one shot

Actually, I believe they crossed over in a movie and they were basically equals.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

TheWatcherKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If the comic versions are anything close to their 2003 show version, they one shot

Actually, I believe they crossed over in a movie and they were basically equals.

The turtle classics in that movie easily stomped the 2003 and 90s turtles, they weren't equals.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@webinyoureye11 said:

The turtle classics in that movie easily stomped the 2003 and 90s turtles, they weren't equals.

I believed wrong. You got me.

They still one shot here, so long as those feats apply

Avatar image for ancient_0f_days
Ancient_0f_Days

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They did, the originals were seriously more badass

OT: Since I've been witness to someone calling the Avatar characters super sonic, I'm inclined to vote against them out of pure spite. Not like they're legit bullet timers like the turtles....chances are, they close in and make short work.....no one here is fighting on their level.

Dtr98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The 2 non benders are getting put down. as far as zuko and his sister if the turtles can close the gap against them they can take them down with their superior hand to hand skills but that's IF they can close close the gap.

DeWitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dtr98 said:

The 2 non benders are getting put down. as far as zuko and his sister if the turtles can close the gap against them they can take them down with their superior hand to hand skills but that's IF they can close close the gap.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb7f2e29af78
deactivated-5bb7f2e29af78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Team Avatar.

comic_book_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman: yeah but the turtles are family who actually care about each other azula is a sociopath her and her brother will throw each other and the others under the bus so fast and the turtles also have insane stealth and once they close the gap it's over

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

@jedixman: yeah but the turtles are family who actually care about each other azula is a sociopath her and her brother will throw each other and the others under the bus so fast and the turtles also have insane stealth and once they close the gap it's over

Azula started becoming more and more unhinged as the show progressed. She is a cold, calculated fighter who was capable of dodging coordinated attacks from benders when she was powerless. The only time she sought to hurt one of her allies was when Mai betrayed her by allowing Zuko to escape. Her insanity was brought on by a combination of proximity to her goals and repeated betrayals (Zuko left her, Mai betrayed her, Ty Lee attacked her to save Mai). When we see her during Sozin's Comet, she lost everything at the same time she achieved her goal.

While she and Zuko don't like one another, they are capable of coordinating decently. They helped one another when they fought Katara and Aang.

comic_book_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jedixman: yeah but do you think they have the same level of team work as the turtles each turtle would die for the other.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 JediXMan  Moderator

@jedixman: yeah but do you think they have the same level of team work as the turtles each turtle would die for the other.

I never said that their level of coordination was necessarily the same; just that the gap may not be as wide as one may think.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By tparks

@jedixman: Just for sake of argument... How would you compare most ranged attacks from the benders to a Ghost Buster’s Proton Pack? The proton pack is a constant stream of energy that can be redirected to varying degrees, and the comic book Ghostbusters are pretty darn accurate. I ask because the turtles easily avoided proton fire from the Busters in their first crossover, which was canon for both the turtles and Comic Ghost Busters.

And the Ghost Busters were shooting to kill, since they thought the Turtles were paranormal entities.

comic_book_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks: wait there was more than one crossover.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Obviously Zuko and Azula give the Avatar team a higher damage output and the edge at range but the TMNT have the necessary skills to close the gap and make this a close quarters fight which they would dominate. Only using IDW feats as I think Mirage Turtles are even more skilled and agile.

• Scans 1-3: Laser timing/blocking from the TMNT.
  • Scan 4: Raph and Leo react to Karai's arrows. Karai can shoot an arrow through a cup and then assassinate a running target with 3 arrows in his back from multiple blocks away.
  • Scan 5: Mikey running through laser fire, jumping onto a rising and taking out the guards in quick succession.

That last one shows agility which outclasses Aang's without the use of airbending. So the Turtles are nimble and fast enough to evade Zuko and Azula's firebending. And their teamwork outclasses the ATLA one. Azula, Mai and Ty Lee are a decent team but the Turtles' dynamics in combat are much more fluid and coordinated.

• Scan 1: Turtles take out some sniper fodder using a smoke bomb and stealth attacks.
  • Scan 2-4: The TMNT almost bring down Slash by Leo using a modified sleeper hold whilst the rest of the TMNT wail on him. Slash is Luke Cage level in physical stats at least, maybe even a 30-50 tonner.
  • Scan 5: Leo blocks a swing from Krang whilst Raph attacks his head and Mikey trips Kraang up.

If the Turtles manage to get into close quarters, the ATLA team have as much chance as winning as the Turtles do at range. Stealth, agility and teamwork give the Turtles the opportunities to take it to the Fire Nation team and take them down.

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 anthp2000  Moderator  Online

I feel like Zuko isn't needed.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comic_book_fan: There was a second crossover. It’s not as good as the first, but it had one issue I really liked, that I’m surprised wasn’t in the main series.

comic_book_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

King-Ragnar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@lvenger:

Only using IDW feats as I think Mirage Turtles are even more skilled and agile.

Which is superior Skill wise? IDW or Mirage?

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for indomitableregal
IndomitableRegal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm. Honestly Mai is useless here imo, and I'm not sure Ty Lee can actually block the turtles. Even so, the Turtles are much better close range combatants (and work better as a team), and with lightning restricted I don't see why they can't close the gap. I'd side with the turtles.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 JediXMan  Moderator

@tparks said:

@jedixman: Just for sake of argument... How would you compare most ranged attacks from the benders to a Ghost Buster’s Proton Pack? The proton pack is a constant stream of energy that can be redirected to varying degrees, and the comic book Ghostbusters are pretty darn accurate. I ask because the turtles easily avoided proton fire from the Busters in their first crossover, which was canon for both the turtles and Comic Ghost Busters.

And the Ghost Busters were shooting to kill, since they thought the Turtles were paranormal entities.

That would be more similar to Azula's lightning, which she cannot use in this battle. Once the flames leave her, she can't directly manipulate the flames. She punches, you get a fireball; she swipes the air, you get a fanning flame.

She is also capable of propelling herself on the ground. While it isn't as accurate as what you're describing, her concentrated flame blast destroyed Aang's crystal armor and sent him flying a pretty considerable distance.

Loading Video...

Keep in mind that Aang is not that proficient of an earthbender. His primary element is air, and his skill with the others isn't great when compared to other practitioners, like Toph (arguably the best earthbender in the series).

anthp2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By anthp2000  Moderator  Online

@allstarsuperman:

Mai can kill any of them at a reasonable distance. Her marksmanship is absolutely insane and unlike what most street levellers are used to. I feel like Ty Lee could at least take Donnie. Azula can definitely solo 2 of them with building level scale and multitonner level potency fire manipulation. I think Zuko is not needed.