Battle of the Week: Thor vs Black Adam

This topic is locked from further discussion.

emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

emperorthanos-  Moderator

Poll Battle of the Week: Thor vs Black Adam (161 votes)

Thor 48%
Black Adam 43%
Too close to call 9%
No Caption Provided

Rules

• Combatants are in character.
  • This is a random encounter (no prep for either side) and both characters have standard gear. Worthy Thor(Pre Original Sin), Post Crisis/Post Flashpoint Black Adam
  • They're fighting in a generic city setting. It takes place during the day and they start roughly 100 feet apart and visible. Everything in the city (let's say the city is the size of Manhattan and surrounded by ocean) is on limits.
  • Incapacitation, knockout, BFR (battlefield removal, which means knocking someone so far away that the fight cannot continue in the very near future) or death all count as elimination. Making a tactical retreat counts as a loss, too. "What's a tactical retreat?" It's leaving the fight with the intention of not returning to the battle in the immediate future. Going to another spot in the environment to catch your breath for a moment or two or for a tactical advantage is not a tactical retreat.
  • Treating everyone else in the debate with respect is a sign of a good debater. If you think someone's saying something that just isn't true, go ahead and stick to the facts to point out why. There's no need at all to drop insults just because you disagree with someone. This is just talking about a fictional fight, there's no need for immaturity and mudslinging about fan fic.
  • If you think the votes aren't going how they should, making an informative post about why a character is being underestimated and spreading the word is far more useful than complaining.
  • One more thing: you don't need to write an essay to have your post highlighted in Friday's article. Sometimes concise posts can be way more effective than a flood of paragraphs. Viner posts that stand out will be included at the end.
  • Votes last till late Friday, and the votes will be posted in the OP to see where combatants stand by Friday. Votes do not determine who wins, only who the majority at the time sides with.

Special thanks to @k4tzm4n for allowing me and other users to continue making these battle of the week threads.

• 
baph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By baph

Thor stomps.

BA is a Superman with weaker stats.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Thor takes it.

Avatar image for blackpantherisb
blackpantherisb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By blackpantherisb

Honestly I think Adam could pull a small majority. Whilst his showings are less directly quantifiable than Thor’s he has shown to be able to teambust on several occasions.

In 52 he wrecked the Marvel family in seconds and was beating the whole JSA until they used a plot device to beat him. In WWIII he engaged dozens upon dozens of hero’s and high tiers and comfortably held his own. And in Hawkman Volume 3 he once again took in the whole JSA and emerged victorious.

His quantifiable feats are also highly impressive, he tanked being smacked across a solar system with minimal damage, and busted a shield that could withstand continental impacts.

His speed is also a critical factor, he uses it with surprising consistency, and he can run at speeds exceeding Mach 500, as well as fight Jay Garrick so fast that time appears frozen around them.

With his comparable physicals, insane durability, high level speed and consistent application of it Black Adam has all of the tools he needs to beat Thor for a very small majority.

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 takenstew22  Moderator

Thor vs. a guy with super speed. I can already tell where this is going.

I'm going with Thor, as what @baph said, BA to me is just a less impressive 'Superman' type.

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm backing Adam, honestly.

He has speed and strength on par with the likes of Superman, and due to his ferociousness he'll use them more effectively. Thor may have greater overall DC due to Mjolnir, but I don't think that's enough to off-set Adam's advantages.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Thor-Parker

Thor wins this, his striking power coupled with lightning are too much for Black Adam to handle, he has insane durability that can withstand most the attacks BA can dish out, and is fast enough to keep up and react to him, and can always use the omnidirectional lightning if speed becomes an issue, which it will not anyway.

Warlockmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

Thor eventually...

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd199bca0205
deactivated-5cd199bca0205

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is actually very close to call, could go either way

Omnipotent94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I am going with Black Adam here. PC Adam was just as strong as superman if not stronger. His speed was also on par with Jay Garrick. He is basically a superman who is not vulnerable to magic (Thor's lightning)

Thor doesn't have any advantage in this fight. Their strengths are almost equal but BA has a huge advantage in speed.

Omnipotent94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Omnipotent94

@emperorthanos-: also, you didn't tag me dude. Please tag me from the next battle of the weeks.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 114

#12  Edited By KrleAvenger

Thor has comparable durability, way better striking power and way better versatility. Black Adam is faster but all he will do with that speed is blitz Thor once or twice. Hardly a game changer. Teth is more aggressive but all that will do is allow Thor to cut loose himself.

Thor wins a solid majority.

Omnipotent94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baph said:

Thor stomps.

BA is a Superman with weaker stats.

How is this a stomp? This is as close as a battle gets.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Thor-Parker

@omnipotent94 said:

I am going with Black Adam here. PC Adam was just as strong as superman if not stronger. His speed was also on par with Jay Garrick. He is basically a superman who is not vulnerable to magic (Thor's lightning)

Thor doesn't have any advantage in this fight. Their strengths are almost equal but BA has a huge advantage in speed.

Thor has the advantage in durability, striking power/damage output, stamina, energy projection, versatility....

The speed argument is over-used and will not be as big of a problem as DC fans like to think when facing Thor.

Avatar image for deactivated-6021b09dd509c
deactivated-6021b09dd509c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a close fight , but I'LL say Thor wins.

Avatar image for deactivated-60957cbcbe0f1
deactivated-60957cbcbe0f1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BA is substantially faster but I think Thor can take his hits, and can revert him back to his mortal form.

Thor wins IMO.

TourneyMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Adam is too fast.

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By brucerogers

Thor wins after a good fight. Adam may have feats like getting smacked across the solar system, but I dont think that is more impressive than getting chokeslammed at massive FTL speeds across time and space, subsequently getting slammed into a planet's crust, and barely getting disoriented by it. Adam's best quantifiable striking feat(to the best of my knowledge) is continental, while Thor has nearly shattered a planet and cracked a moon by hitting Gorr too hard. He definitely has an edge in strength.

Adam is faster and more savage but he isnt fast enough to dance circles around him and Thor is no stranger to fighting dirty himself. Thor's hammer also affords him some neat energy absorption options.

Avatar image for thebestofthebest
ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ThEBeStOfTheBeST

Statue-Force Black Adam

Omnipotent94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omnipotent94 said:

Thor has the advantage in durability, striking power/damage output, stamina, energy projection, versatility....

The speed argument is over-used and will not be as big of a problem as DC fans like to think when facing Thor.

I'll admit Thor has a slight advantage in durability but they are near equals in striking power and stamina.

Speed argument is overused but its still valid. There is quite a significant difference between their speeds Thor will have a hard time tagging Adam.

Omnipotent94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BA is substantially faster but I think Thor can take his hits, and can revert him back to his mortal form.

Thor wins IMO.

I highly doubt Thor's lightning can do that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omnipotent94:

Why not? CM has been reverted by normal lightning/electricity before.

baph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By baph

@omnipotent94: I exaggerated a little bit, but Thor does win without much difficulty, he's just better in everything other than speed, which is not enough to close the gap. BA is unimpressive to me, and it doesn't help that most of his feats come from scaling to other characters(such as Billy, who suffers from the same problem, atleast his Post-Crisis version)

cergic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 cergic  Online

Thor, and its not close. Black Adam have few actual clear cut feats thats not PIS or people holding back as far as i know. The best one i can think of straight up is when he beats CM or Power Girl. He just sucks, unless i miss something.

King-Ragnar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Adam's only advantage is speed, either than that Thor has him beat in most categories.

Abhikanail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Adam wins.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_parker82 said:
@omnipotent94 said:

I'll admit Thor has a slight advantage in durability but they are near equals in striking power and stamina.

Speed argument is overused but its still valid. There is quite a significant difference between their speeds Thor will have a hard time tagging Adam.

There is absolutely no way that Black Adam comes close to Thor in striking power, Thor consistently shows that his striking power is the very best amongst his tier, doing things like effortlessly one shotting Angrir, swatting away Mangog, breaking his tooth and making him scream out in pain with a lightning bolt, encompassing all of Asgard (country sized) in lightning and proceeding to one shot an Elder of the Universe, punching a high tier through the entire planet, hitting Thanosi with a strike that was felt on the entire planet, breaking Galactus' helmet and actually make him feel pain for the first time in eons.......I could go on and on

As for stamina, I very much doubt that as well, Thor's godhood combined with his elder god heritage allows him to be fully immortal, as shown with Old King Thor where he is one the last living things at the end of time, or Hyperion mentioning how Thor can hold his breath for as long as he wants, for battle purposes though, how soloing an army by himself while they kept coming for 80 consecutive days as a young god and not showing a sign of being tired,.

Speed argument is valid when you're talking about Barry/Wally level of speed, many don't seem to get this, but Thor doesn't have a problem dealing with faster enemies than himself, it's never hindered him on a battle and has many counters for someone with superior speed.

Shinne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm backing Adam, honestly.

He has speed and strength on par with the likes of Superman, and due to his ferociousness he'll use them more effectively. Thor may have greater overall DC due to Mjolnir, but I don't think that's enough to off-set Adam's advantages.

Avatar image for captainsweatpan
CaptainSweatpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lan_fan: Black Adam doesn't have advantages, he only has one which does makes him win if he exploits it

Omnipotent94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omnipotent94 said:
@thor_parker82 said:
@omnipotent94 said:

There is absolutely no way that Black Adam comes close to Thor in striking power, Thor consistently shows that his striking power is the very best amongst his tier, doing things like effortlessly one shotting Angrir, swatting away Mangog, breaking his tooth and making him scream out in pain with a lightning bolt, encompassing all of Asgard (country sized) in lightning and proceeding to one shot an Elder of the Universe, punching a high tier through the entire planet, hitting Thanosi with a strike that was felt on the entire planet, breaking Galactus' helmet and actually make him feel pain for the first time in eons.......I could go on and on

As for stamina, I very much doubt that as well, Thor's godhood combined with his elder god heritage allows him to be fully immortal, as shown with Old King Thor where he is one the last living things at the end of time, or Hyperion mentioning how Thor can hold his breath for as long as he wants, for battle purposes though, how soloing an army by himself while they kept coming for 80 consecutive days as a young god and not showing a sign of being tired,.

Speed argument is valid when you're talking about Barry/Wally level of speed, many don't seem to get this, but Thor doesn't have a problem dealing with faster enemies than himself, it's never hindered him on a battle and has many counters for someone with superior speed.

Black adam has one shotted power girl with his thunder clap, ripped off amazo's head, shook an island with his strikes and punched holes through the spectre. His striking power is definitely up there with Thor.

As for stamina it's basically one of Adam's six powers. Stamina of Shu.

Black adam may not be Barry /Wally level but he is Jay Garrick level and that's still fast as hell. When was the last time Thor fought someone faster than BA? Quicksilver and Gladiator aren't as fast as him. Silver surfer is faster in travel speed but not in combat speed.

Omnipotent94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for eternaldarkfury
EternalDarkFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f08ae8f4ed63
deactivated-5f08ae8f4ed63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IDK nothing about both characters (regardless of some CaVs that I took a superficial look), but Voted Thor because his design and powers are better!

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Thor-Parker

@omnipotent94 said:

Black adam has one shotted power girl with his thunder clap, ripped off amazo's head, shook an island with his strikes and punched holes through the spectre. His striking power is definitely up there with Thor.

Black adam may not be Barry /Wally level but he is Jay Garrick level and that's still fast as hell. When was the last time Thor fought someone faster than BA? Quicksilver and Gladiator aren't as fast as him. Silver surfer is faster in travel speed but not in combat speed.

Let's see.

Black adam has one shotted power girl with his thunder clap,

Not impressive, Power Girl is meh, Thor has one shotted and hurt enemies that wouldn't even register her as a threat, like that time when Thor one shotted Thanosi with an anti force blast stated to be able to tear the planet apart.

No Caption Provided

ripped off amazo's head,

Wouldn't that depend on which powers Amazo has ?

shook an island with his strikes

That's cute, Thor shook planets with the shockwave of his strikes on Gorr, and although he was going all out, he also had a god killing sword eating him from the inside at the same time, there's also that time he went against Beta Ray Bill and their punches levelled a countryside, or when he hit Fafnir so hard that the strike was felt all the way to Pennsylvania.

and punched holes through the spectre.

That.....seems like a massive outlier, but I'll raise you a better outlier, namely Thor putting a hole through Mikaboshi, the same entity who had just killed 98% of the multiverse.

No Caption Provided

His striking power is definitely up there with Thor.

Not even close.

Yeah, that's not worth anything if he doesn't have the feats to back it up.

Silver Surfer is pretty damn fast in combat speed as well, he and BRB had a fight while travelling FTL and only nanoseconds passed, though I'm not so sure about that last bit though. Anyway, neither Surfer nor Gladiator (nor anyone else for that matter) have actually overwhelmed Thor with sheer speed, Thor has feats to react, and in the unlikely case he doesn't, he uses omnidirectional lightning or AOE attacks, as he has done so in the past when ovewhelmed by speed or amount of enemies surrounding him.

cergic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 cergic  Online

@lan_fan:

Proof that a featless god has better Stamina than Thor? What are Shus best stamina feats? Adams power stems from Gods as we all know and i quite frankly argue that those gods all pale in comparison to Thor.

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 takenstew22  Moderator

@thor_parker82: Well said man. It's glad to see that there are still Thor supporters on the Vine.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 114

#38  Edited By KrleAvenger

@omnipotent94: Black Adam is most certainly not Jay Garrick level. Not even close. During their first fight, he could not tag Jay once, while Jay blitzed him multiple times and dodged his attacks despite the fact that he was concerned over civilians. During their second fight, Jay blitzed Black Adam multiple times until Teth finally tagged him, which does not mean much. During their race, Teth needed all of his speed and all of his efforts to even think of keeping up with Jay (according to Jay himself), while Jay ran without much difficulty. When they clocked at Mach 500, Black Adam put so much strain on himself, to the point that he could no longer run, while Jay still kept running with barely any effort.

I would like to point out that Mach 500 does not come close to Jay Garrick's speed, given that the former was capable of running at relativistic speeds. It is also worth mentioning that Black Adam has absurd strength and nigh unlimited stamina, while Jay Garrick is a guy with extremely bad stamina. So the fact that it was Teth who lost strength during his race with Jay while Jay was fine, speaks volumes of the massive gap in speed between the two. I also think it is worth mentioning that Teth is not really a guy who uses his speed in combat and mostly blitzed fodder, with actual heroes never really struggling to keep up with him. But that is a different story which I'm not gonna get it. Just worth pointing out.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The “planet” that Thor shook wasn’t a planet but rather a Moon, and he also did so while blatantly hurting himself and under the writer that gave him some of his best quantifiable feats ever.

Thor has better striking but let’s not overblow it.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Adam rips Thor’s eyes out

takenstew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 takenstew22  Moderator

Thor can also use the godblast as a last resort.

King-Ragnar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Speed =/= instant win

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The “planet” that Thor shook wasn’t a planet but rather a Moon, and he also did so while blatantly hurting himself and under the writer that gave him some of his best quantifiable feats ever.

Something I mentioned myself, but many conveninetly ignore he had the necrosword eating him from the inside and was about to die, so it kind of evens out. In the (most likely) scenario that many will still ignore that fact, even if Thor was straining himself the feat blows out of the water most of what high tiers have, because Thor wasn't even on those worlds/moons, nor did he hit them directly, the moon cracked with his shockwaves.

Also, no, Aaron didn't give him his best feats (he indeed gave him great ones, not denying that), he just gave him his most famous ones considering they are the most recent.

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Sy8000  Online

Thor didn't crack shit with shockwaves, the Moon was cracked when they landed there earlier.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor for sure, might make a post under

The thing he was flying over was a planet

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sy8000 said:

Thor didn't crack shit with shockwaves, the Moon was cracked when they landed there earlier.

Then what was happening to the planet underneath of him, just randomly started exploding? And was the moon they landed on earlier the one that was only a bit bigger then Gorr and obviously not the one being destroyed or the one that they traveled through a wormhole away from and so obviously wouldn't be right next to the planet?

Hypnos0929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Black Adam.

Ultimately I think Thor has the better damage output but combat speed is on Teth's side. Teth has had to fight not just powerhouses but speed kings and queens respectively. Thor may swing the hammer harder but Teth's punches will still be felt, his kicks will still strike with power and he's not going to give up just because he's hurt.

What I question is what will Teth's lightning do to Thor and vice versa.