Battle of the Week: The Thing vs Iron Man

• 159 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

emperorthanos-  Moderator

Poll Battle of the Week: The Thing vs Iron Man (119 votes)

The Thing 50%
Iron Man 47%
Too close to call 3%
No Caption Provided

Its been a while since we have done one of these but I decided it was time to the bring it back with seemingly the two most actively debated comic characters around.

Rules

• Combatants are in character.
  • This is a random encounter (no prep for either side) and both characters have standard gear. 616 version of The Thing, 616 Iron Man Composite Standard Suit.
  • They're fighting in a generic city setting. It takes place during the day and they start roughly 100 feet apart and visible. Everything in the city (let's say the city is the size of Manhattan and surrounded by ocean) is on limits.
  • Incapacitation, knockout, BFR (battlefield removal, which means knocking someone so far away that the fight cannot continue in the very near future) or death all count as elimination. Making a tactical retreat counts as a loss, too. "What's a tactical retreat?" It's leaving the fight with the intention of not returning to the battle in the immediate future. Going to another spot in the environment to catch your breath for a moment or two or for a tactical advantage is not a tactical retreat.
  • Treating everyone else in the debate with respect is a sign of a good debater. If you think someone's saying something that just isn't true, go ahead and stick to the facts to point out why. There's no need at all to drop insults just because you disagree with someone. This is just talking about a fictional fight, there's no need for immaturity and mudslinging about fan fic.
  • If you think the votes aren't going how they should, making an informative post about why a character is being underestimated and spreading the word is far more useful than complaining.
  • One more thing: you don't need to write an essay to have your post highlighted in Friday's article. Sometimes concise posts can be way more effective than a flood of paragraphs. Viner posts that stand out will be included at the end.
  • Votes last till late Friday, and the votes will be posted in the OP to see where combatants stand by Friday. Votes do not determine who wins, only who the majority at the time sides with.

Special thanks to @k4tzm4n for allowing me and other users to continue making these battle of the week threads.

• 
Battle123axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thing via intent

Hulk_Like_Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thing wins mid-diff.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Toratorn made a post detailing this and convinced me that Thing might have the edge and that he's simply too tough for Tony to put down. Be interested in seeing some arguments for Tony, maybe from @noone199

Lilbroomstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Iron Man definitely. He has better scaling outside of Thing's one good outlier feat. Endo-sym curbs, Iron Destroyer stomps, Bleeding edge takes a solid majority, Model Prime already showed superiority without even using full strength, and Extremis could solo too. Model 42 alone could arguably take this aswell intent and highest end feats aside. However, it all depends on where you rank Thing.

Not even gonna lie thought the last threads with this fight were sick(in a bad way).

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lilbroomstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevd4wg: Hurting Galactus. I'll explain why Iron Man wins in detail in a second.

Avatar image for supremegeneration
SupremeGeneration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tony.

Owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Oh ho, the return of BOTW!

I might make a more detailed post later. But my general feeling is, this is a battle of versatility vs doing one thing well. And doing that one thing well probably isn't enough to beat Tony. I tend to be a big believer in the advantages of flight. It allows Tony to rain down attacks all day long, and have a very high speed and high maneuverability, while Thing is basically stuck. Yes, he can go inside. And yes, he can throw stuff. But that's probably not enough. Then the question is, does Tony have any offensive weapons that can get past Thing's durability? Not easily, but I'm going to guess yes. That's where I'll have to do some research.

TakenStew22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been convinced that Thing can beat Iron Man despite Tony's better versatility. He's just more physically imposing than he is and his recent feats just make him even better. It ain't a stomp though, Ben is gonna have some trouble with Iron Man's firepower.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I would have normally backed Tony due to versatility but Thing has only been getting more impressive recently. In terms of stats, he also has far better feats that don't rely solely on shitty scaling. Weighting current showings more, Tony's been trash for the past like 5 years. I'm assuming this is composite Tony, btw. If this is just Tony's current armor, Ben curbstomps. Composite standard versions, Ben wins in a good fight.

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@owie: that strategy would be extremely out of character. Tony never fights like that, even against bricks who outclass him in strength and durability.

Owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

@owie: that strategy would be extremely out of character. Tony never fights like that, even against bricks who outclass him in strength and durability.

Oh, I don't know. He's not dumb, he knows Thing well, ranged attacks would be the obvious thing to do. There's a certain degree where I'm orchestrating that strategy for him, but there's also the way you'd fight in a battle forum vs in a comic where the writers want to draw the fight out. It's just like why Cyclops doesn't just wipe everyone out instantly in every comic fight.

Wushu59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Iron Man via intelligence

DoTheTwist_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm definitely backing a composite standard Tony, with the array of versatility and mobility he should easily be able to work around Ben's physicals. Sonics would hurt ben as well

juiceboks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 juiceboks  Moderator

I'm not too familiar with how impressive Tony has been in the last year or two, while Ben has been portrayed as more powerful than he's ever been in the past few years. In the past I'd say Tony's wide range of weaponry would do him but I can't say for sure nowadays.

Avatar image for ready_4_madness
Ready_4_Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tony’s vast versatility gives him the win here. The Thing strikes hard, but with Iron Man it’s much more than a striking contest.

comic_book_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

iam going with ben

Lilbroomstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Lilbroomstick

Iron Man FTW. People will say that "Thing is so much stronger than he used to be" as one of the main points for him. It seems to also be used as a way to disregard any possible feat that suggests he could lose here too. Their history still seems very relevant when you look at it like this. Iron Man has upgraded too and every upgrade he makes seems to be a step ahead of Ben. Let's just look at this

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2
(Of course scans are out of order smh comic vine) Iron Man oneshots Thing(and himself) by running into him. Iron Man was weakened and low on power from fighting two opponents with strength equal to his. Thing is fresh and had no real excuse for being oneshotted. He did recover faster but even then he wasn't doing so well until Iron Man gets up and helps.

Now we have a fake Iron Man wrecking the Fantastic Four. This same "Iron Impostor" was being matched and eventually overwhelmed by the real Iron Man.

A considerable time later we have an Experimental version of the S.K.I.N armor take on the Fantastic Four after tanking/creating a planetary EMP surge more powerful than every nuke ever created being detonated at once. Notice how Tony wants to lose and fights like a standard robot yet is so confident that Thing can't beat the armor(which he didn't BTW).

Even later here's a comparison that shows Extremis is considerably stronger than what Thing used to be which is consistent to what's been shown so far:

Sentry did feel a bit of pain from Thing's punch(very later on) to be fair, but the fact that he could just FLEX off a punch like nothing is considerable. That combined with the fact that Sentry's punch that he puts no effort into blasts Thing away shows they're on completely different levels. Iron Man on the other hand was able to bust Sentry's lip while also causing a mini-explosion, and having him reel back in pain from one punch.
Sentry did feel a bit of pain from Thing's punch(very later on) to be fair, but the fact that he could just FLEX off a punch like nothing is considerable. That combined with the fact that Sentry's punch that he puts no effort into blasts Thing away shows they're on completely different levels. Iron Man on the other hand was able to bust Sentry's lip while also causing a mini-explosion, and having him reel back in pain from one punch.

I don't even think I need to mention the Argonaut instance. The fact that some could actually see this is as a good showing for thing is beyond me. I'll let you guys look at it for yourselves anyway though. I'm just gonna say that thrusters are not much help if you don't have enough super strength to do the job. Most recently we got this:

An injured Victor Von Doom manages to easily stop an unexpected ambush from Thing(who had at least 81%of his strength) using only a portion of the armor while it was forming and thrashes him -Infamous Iron Man #2-3

That feat happened with the Model Prime armor. Not only was a good showing for Iron Man but it also further supports my view on Thing vs Immortal Hulk. We all know about that fight and "Thing won" but nobody mentions the fact that the same Hulk had already stomped Thing before:

No Caption Provided
Secret Empire #6
Secret Empire #6

To be fair I think Thing was at 81% strength but even still Thing who had at least 81% strength attempted to sneak attack Doom while he was with his girlfriend. Doom who only had just started suiting up had effortlessly stopped the Thing's punched. A portion of Model Prime Iron Man's strength>>>at least 81% of Thing's strength. I'd say Immortal Hulk is a lot stronger than Iron Man so you can put the pieces together and see that Thing should get stomped no-diffed under normal circumstances, especially considering how he stomped stronger people. Willpower and determination is Thing's greatest power. In the fight where Thing 'knocked out' immortal Hulk he was fighting for his wife. 110% determined Thing=/=normal Thing. Not only that but at the same exact moment Immortal Hulk was "knocked out" he was snapped out of Puppet Master's mind control. The fact that Puppet Master of all people was controlling the Hulk is already something. Add this context to Thing's fight and I just can't count this as a legit win for him. Immortal Hulk had even ran head first into determined Thing's hardest punch ever thrown like an idiot yet he took basically no damage while Thing's arm shattered on impact. That's pretty embarrassing. Iron Man on the other hand has been able to hold his own against teambusters and borderline teambusters multiple times(most of them below Thanos' level just encase you're one of those people who thinks teambuster=Thanos level) so even if that feat was legit it wouldn't even dwarf Tony. Like the blast Bleeding edge Iron Man used on Mangog>>>>>>>>>>Thing's immortal Hulk punch IMO.

I haven't even mentioned the considerable speed gap between them or the obvious versatility advantage Tony holds, or the fact that Doctor Doom usually can solo the Fantastic four while Tony has been able to fight him 1v1. I don't feel like that's needed considering this debate seems to be either Thing is too strong for Tony to put down or he isn't. I think that was all I had to say though. Vote for whoever you feel wins.

Oh, I forgot to say if this was between recent versions of both then Thing actually stomps. It's kind of sad to how comic Iron Man is treated by Marvel but it is what it is I suppose.

Lilbroomstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Lilbroomstick

@kevd4wg: Oh, I forgot. Did you want to be tagged? Well there you go.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Iron Man in a really close battle

Noone1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Thing is an extremely impressive brick that often fights characters far out of his weight class and he always does pretty well for himself. He’s got tons of determination and defies the expectations of practically everyone he goes up against. However, he’s far from the fastest character and outside of throwing stuff, he’s got no range. In the past, I’d argue that Thing’s lack of mobility and speed would be enough of a disadvantage for Tony to take it against him. I’d expect something like Iron Man’s Bleeding-Edge fight against Red Hulk to happen where Ben gets ragdolled and thrown around due to being unable to fly or I can see Tony keeping his distance and spamming from the skies in the hopes that he could eventually wear Ben down before returning to the ground for a boxing match. He could even blare sonics, cryogenics, pulse bolts, magnetism, missiles, gas attacks, and even use holograms, force-fields, or blinding attacks to keep Thing at bay and off-balanced as he attacks from a distance or uses his speed to dodge most of Ben’s hits. Even if we agreed that Thing was above Iron Man’s strength, durability, and striking power (which I don’t believe he is), the gap wouldn’t be significant enough to make a difference if Tony fought smart by using versatility, strategy, flight, speed, and range to wear Ben down. However, nowadays, Thing is written as some sort of Green Scar Hulk level high tier being who can withstand blood-lusted issue long beatings from Immortal Hulk (and then proceed to KO him with a single punch), stalemate Cho Hulk, and withstand a blast from Galactus that could cleave the mantle of a planet. If we accept Thing as a consistent Hulk level high tier, none of what I mentioned above will work. Ben can take everything Iron Man throws at him without a problem. But even in that scenario, Iron Man’s flight and speed advantage can be put into play for a quick BFR of Thing into space. Tony’s suits have always had higher durability than offensive output, so he can withstand a few of Thing’s hits before they reach zero gravity and he can even use his repulsors or force-fields to propel Ben further away without being near him. As high tier Thing, Iron Man can only win a few rounds via BFR. As regular non-wanked Thing, who has consistently been shown for years as someone on-par with, but still below Thor, Sentry, Juggernaut, or Hulk level characters, Iron Man can win a majority with difficulty if he fights smart and takes advantage of his strengths.

KGoulding

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll go for Stark here. He does not need much prep time to analyze much about Grimm. Sure, Thing can pack a real punch almost like the Hulk and can tank much, but Iron man's ability to adapt quickly and resourcefulness even while fighting, sure makes the difference. I can see Tony flying around Ben for a while, while shooting beams and analyzing Ben's movements on the ground until he comes up with something to knock Thing out or have him thrown so far from the battlefield with his vast technology. Thing would just probably rely on his "clobberin'" that's a sure way to be defeated here.

Lord_Tenebrous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thing would gradually overpower Tony in a close quarters brawl, but it's not a stomp, meanwhile he's significantly outclassed in a ranged battle. It will take time for Tony to subdue him, but it'll happen.

solaris6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thing stomps, what is tin can man going to do? Thing has been consistently more impressive than him.

Avatar image for everythingispis
EverythingIsPIS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still haven't seen a single actual response to this huge ass post from Toratorn from this thread https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/battles-7/iron-man-vs-thing-697281/?page=2#js-message-21519540 which details Thing's superiority over Iron Man with dozens upon dozens of both direct and indirect comparisons.

Iron Man literally knocks himself out when he accidently collided with Ben. And Ben was still conscious afterwards.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3
Marvel Feature #12

Bloodlusted mindcontrolled Iron Man can barely hurt Ben and gets restrained casually (and before you claim that he was still out from Hawkeye's arrow, we already see him squirming and trying to break free in 4th panel):

Avengers West Coast #75
Avengers West Coast #75

Bloodlusted Super-Adaptoid uses Iron Man's repulsors on Ben, and Ben casually tanks them:

Marvel Two-In-One #75
Marvel Two-In-One #75

In the same issue Ben knocks out Super-Adaptoid with combined powers of himself, Vision, Mar-Vell and Iron Man:

Tony in experimental armor that was going berserk can barely hurt Ben, has his punch no sold and is casually restrained:

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5
Fantastic Four vol.3 #15

A Skrull who stole Iron Man's armor and was intent on murdering everyone can't even scratch Ben with double repulsors:

Iron Man vol.2 #12

Berserker Subterranian Armor can't even hurt Ben with a hit:

Iron Man vol.4 #12
Iron Man vol.4 #12

Stomped off-panel by Ben who was holding back :

Fantastic Four vol.3 #27

Iron Man stomped by War Machine:

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4
Punsiher #228

Same War Machine who could barely do anything to Ben a couple of issues before:

Punisher #226

And that's not mentioning how Iron Man on multiple occasions performed worse against same opponents than Ben did.

Like the multiple times he couldn't do shit to Wonder Man, even admitting to be inferior to him:

Avengers #132, West Coast Avengers #10, Marvel Comics Presents #41

And got stomped by him twice (by having Wonder Man destroy his armor and two-shot him respectively):

Marvel Comics Presents #41, Marvel Comics Presents #43

Same goes for other Iron Man armors, like when Simon off-paneled Iron Patriot, no sold everything War Machine threw at him and was destroying multiple IM armors at once while no selling their shots:

Dark Reign: Lethal Legion #2, War Machine #8, Mighty Avengers #5

And even in his absolute best showing against Wonder Man, Iron Man has said that he "can't take much more of this" after getting hit by Simon a total of 3 times:

Wonder Man #2

All while Ben has... one-shot Wonder Man while holding back (Avengers West Coast #75, posted above), off-paneled ionic Wonder Man while holding back (Fantastic Four vol.3 #27, posted above), has beaten a mind-controlled bloodlusted Wonder Man while, once again, holding back (and tanking every shot):

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5Gallery image 6
Thing #5

Tanked every hit from bloodlusted mind-controlled Wonder Man on other occasion and fought him back while, once again, holding back and trying not to hurt him, and Wonder Man still complained that he felt like he was "playing catch with a cruise missle" and needed aspirin afterwards:

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5Gallery image 6
Marvel Two-In-One #78

And of course, tanked a hit from Wonder Man who was at the peak of his strength and was not thinking clear, and was only annoyed somewhat:

Wonder Man #15

Or that time when Iron Man couldn't scratch Rhino, admitted Rhino could take his punishment for a whole day, needed to use all of his strength just to hold him in one place and still only beat him by suffocating him:

Iron Man vol.1 #238

The same Rhino whose whole body was aching just from one blow from Ben and who got casually overpowered by him in two panels:

Thing #24

And same Rhino who was beaten by Ben in 5 minutes:

Amazing Spider-Man #700.3

Or that time when Iron Man was stomped by Grey Hulk (2 times in fact - casually overpowered and one-shot):

The Order #3, Hulk Smash Avengers #4

The same Grey Hulk who Ben wrecked in their first fight. And the same Grey Hulk who could only win by tiring out an already exhausted Ben, using trickery to constantly sucker-punch him for an hour and half and almost drowning him (Fantastic Four #320 - Incredible Hulk #350). And the same Grey Hulk who, while bloodlusted, couldn't do shit to She-Thing:

Spider-Man/Fantastic Four #3

Who in turn just has a weaker version of Ben's powerset, has admitted that she's "nowhere near as strong as Thing" and got stomped by depowered Ben (who was wearing a suit that restored 90% of his strength) in a couple of hits:

Fantastic Four vol.1 #333, Fantastic Four vol.1 Annual #22

Or that time when Iron Man couldn't KO Bi-Beast and needed Thor to finish the job for him:

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5Gallery image 6Gallery image 7
Thor #316

All while Ben... could.

Thing vol.2 #8

Or that time when Iron Man got stomped by Trapster glue, had his armor damaged and needed help to rid himself of it:

Iron Man Annual #12

While Ben had the superior version of said glue literally poured down his throat and all over his body and just flexed it off:

Hulk #19

Or that time when Iron Man couldn't even scratch Doom's forcefield:

Invincible Iron Man #2

Even with help from Wonder Man and Magneto:

Avengers The Children's Crusade #5

And again, can't get through shields of Doom's outdated armor:

Iron Man Fatal Frontier #10

and again...

Avengers #156
Avengers #156

and again...

Super-Villain Team-Up #9
Super-Villain Team-Up #9

and again, with continuous repulsor barrage...

The Mighty Avengers #9

while Ben could stun Doom through his shields back in classic times:

FF vol.1 #157
FF vol.1 #157

And shattered them with two punches in modern times:

Infamous Iron Man #2-3

And of course, Iron Man can't overpower Doom and has his strongest blast pretty much no sold:

Iron Man vol.1 #149

Can't overpower Doom, even with repulsors firing from close range:

The Mighty Avengers #9

That's what happened right after, if you're curious.

Tanks getting slammed into wall with no damage and one-shots Iron Man with a blast:

Super-Villain Team-Up #9 - Avengers #155

No sells a hit from Iron Man:

Iron Man vol.2 #11
Iron Man vol.2 #11

4 hits from Doom's outtdated armor and Iron Man "can't take much more of this":

No sells double repulsors (but is KOed by cause unrelated to Iron Man):

Marvel Fanfare #44

My favourite one: IM can't do shit to Doom even when assisted by Thor, Giant-Man and Captain America:

All-New All-Different Avengers #15

Iron Man's golden armor can't damage a Doombot armor:

Iron Man the Armor Wars #2

Doombot stalemates Iron Man in a beam clash (reminder that Doombots are identical to Doom's regular armor, but weild only a fraction of original's power):

Iron Man Legacy #5

While Ben... oh boy. Tanks everything Doom throws at him, trashes his armor and breaks his arms:

Fantastic Four vol.1 #40

One-shots Doom:

Fantastic Four The World's Greatest Comic Magazine #12

No sells Doom's blast, overpowers him completely and was about to kill him... if not for outside intervention:

Fantastic Four vol.1 #350

No sells Doom's blast completely:

Iron Man vol.2 #11

Tanks repeated blasts from Doom while not at his best:

Fantastic Four vol.1 #361

Restrains Reed while the latter is wearing Doom's armor:

Fantastic Four vol.3 #31

Reed wearing Doom's armor doubts his forcefields and armor can withstand an assault of being with strength equal to Ben's:

Fantastic Four vol.3 #29
Fantastic Four vol.3 #29

Ben tanks a blast from Hunger; in the same issue Hunger completely destroys Doom's armor with a single blast (and Doom was amped at the moment too):

Fantastic Four vol. 1 #381

Snaps amped Doom's neck with a single hit:

Fantastic Four vol.3 #70

No sells blasts from dozens of alternate Dooms:

Fantastic Four vol.4 #9

Overpowers Doom with Silver Surfer's powers:

Fantastic Four vol.1 #60

Ben absolutely demolishes Dr. Doom who came from 75 years in the future, who had decades of prep and, in his future, faced Fantastic Four more powerful than the present one:

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5Gallery image 6Gallery image 7
Fantastic Four vol.1 #551-553

While he does get trashed in return afterwards, it was still a Doom more powerful than 616 one and who had decades worth of prep... and yet he was wrecked in a one-sided beatdown and needed 3 pages for his armor to get repaired to fight back, something he only managed to do because Ben was busy monologuing (pretty weird for a hero to make a classic villain mistake, but oh well).

And finally, a gallery of Ben one-shotting Doombots:

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5Gallery image 6Gallery image 7Gallery image 8Gallery image 9Gallery image 10
FF #350, FF Annual #20, FF #156, Marvel Super Hero Island Adventures, FF #5, FF #246, FF vol.3 #31, FF #536/537, Fantastic Four Special

The scan from FF #246 is also relevant because that Doombot was more powerful than the real Doom, yet Ben still one-shot him when he stopped holding back:

Or that time when Iron Man in Hulkbuster Armor couldn't even extract a grunt from Professor Hulk and at best could knock him off his feet. All while Hulk was barely fighting back:

Iron Man #305

While Ben was ragdolling him, made him scream in pain and dislodged his molar, as well as tanked his hits when Prof. was actually fighting back:

Fantastic Four Unlimited#4

Or that time when Iron Man had his armor damaged by one hit from Wrecker (who was at the time sharing his power with the rest of Wrecking Crew):

Secret Wars #8
Secret Wars #8

His armor got wrecked even worse when he faced full power Wrecker, and he couldn't do anything to Wrecker with either physicals or repulsors and only won by charging his crowbar with magnetic force:

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5Gallery image 6Gallery image 7Gallery image 8Gallery image 9Gallery image 10
Iron Man #251

And on another occasion couldn't beat Wrecker who was sharing his powers with WC with repulsors or physicals, got his arm damaged by a single crowbar toss and only managed to KO him with Namor's help:

Marvel Team-Up vol.2 #11

While Ben managed to tank a massive beatdown from Wrecker who had the full power of Wrecking Crew, overpowered him and knocked him out cold:

FF vol.1 #355

Humiliates Wrecker who may or may not have had the full power of WC after tanking hits from him with no damage:

Startling Stories: The Thing

As for Wrecker who is sharing his power with WC? Ben almost killed him once without any effort and one-shot on another occasion:

Sentry: Fallen Sun, The Thing: Freakshow #1

Or that time when Ronan no sold everything Iron Man threw at him, to the point he resorted to self-destruction:

Iron Man vol.1 #279

Same Ronan who was hurt and screaming in pain after hits from casual Ben:

Annihilators Earthfall #2

I get that everyone has biases, but it's ridiculous to me how willing Iron Man fans are to just stick their fingers in their ears and pretend that all these scans don't exist.

Until there's a proper response to this post and not "waaaa some of those scans are old and everything else is PIS, nothing there matters!!" I honestly don't see how anyone in their right mind could vote for Iron Man.

The_Hajduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Iron Man should win and it honesty shouldn’t be that close. It would be a fight sure, but I am pretty sure Dr. Doom has always been able to defeat Thing with his power armor. We know that Doom is behind Starktech on armor technology.

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Iron Man should honestly dumpster him in a mismatch but he seems really unimpressive in recent years...

Avatar image for professorrespect
ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I still haven't seen a single actual response to this huge ass post from Toratorn from this thread https://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/battles-7/iron-man-vs-thing-697281/?page=2#js-message-21519540 which details Thing's superiority over Iron Man with dozens upon dozens of both direct and indirect comparisons.

Iron Man literally knocks himself out when he accidently collided with Ben. And Ben was still conscious afterwards.

Marvel Feature #12

Bloodlusted mindcontrolled Iron Man can barely hurt Ben and gets restrained casually (and before you claim that he was still out from Hawkeye's arrow, we already see him squirming and trying to break free in 4th panel):

Avengers West Coast #75
Avengers West Coast #75

Bloodlusted Super-Adaptoid uses Iron Man's repulsors on Ben, and Ben casually tanks them:

Marvel Two-In-One #75
Marvel Two-In-One #75

In the same issue Ben knocks out Super-Adaptoid with combined powers of himself, Vision, Mar-Vell and Iron Man:

Tony in experimental armor that was going berserk can barely hurt Ben, has his punch no sold and is casually restrained:

Fantastic Four vol.3 #15

A Skrull who stole Iron Man's armor and was intent on murdering everyone can't even scratch Ben with double repulsors:

Iron Man vol.2 #12

Iron Man vol.4 #12
Iron Man vol.4 #12

Fantastic Four vol.3 #27

Punsiher #228

Punisher #226

And that's not mentioning how Iron Man on multiple occasions performed worse against same opponents than Ben did.

Like the multiple times he couldn't do shit to Wonder Man, even admitting to be inferior to him:

And got stomped by him twice (by having Wonder Man destroy his armor and two-shot him respectively):

Same goes for other Iron Man armors, like when Simon off-paneled Iron Patriot, no sold everything War Machine threw at him and was destroying multiple IM armors at once while no selling their shots:

And even in his absolute best showing against Wonder Man, Iron Man has said that he "can't take much more of this" after getting hit by Simon a total of 3 times:

Wonder Man #2

All while Ben has... one-shot Wonder Man while holding back (Avengers West Coast #75, posted above), off-paneled ionic Wonder Man while holding back (Fantastic Four vol.3 #27, posted above), has beaten a mind-controlled bloodlusted Wonder Man while, once again, holding back (and tanking every shot):

Thing #5

Tanked every hit from bloodlusted mind-controlled Wonder Man on other occasion and fought him back while, once again, holding back and trying not to hurt him, and Wonder Man still complained that he felt like he was "playing catch with a cruise missle" and needed aspirin afterwards:

Marvel Two-In-One #78

And of course, tanked a hit from Wonder Man who was at the peak of his strength and was not thinking clear, and was only annoyed somewhat:

Wonder Man #15

Or that time when Iron Man couldn't scratch Rhino, admitted Rhino could take his punishment for a whole day, needed to use all of his strength just to hold him in one place and still only beat him by suffocating him:

Iron Man vol.1 #238

The same Rhino whose whole body was aching just from one blow from Ben and who got casually overpowered by him in two panels:

Thing #24

Or that time when Iron Man was stomped by Grey Hulk (2 times in fact - casually overpowered and one-shot):

The same Grey Hulk who Ben wrecked in their first fight. And the same Grey Hulk who could only win by tiring out an already exhausted Ben, using trickery to constantly sucker-punch him for an hour and half and almost drowning him (Fantastic Four #320 - Incredible Hulk #350). And the same Grey Hulk who, while bloodlusted, couldn't do shit to She-Thing:

Who in turn just has a weaker version of Ben's powerset, has admitted that she's "nowhere near as strong as Thing" and got stomped by depowered Ben (who was wearing a suit that restored 90% of his strength) in a couple of hits:

Or that time when Iron Man couldn't KO Bi-Beast and needed Thor to finish the job for him:

Thor #316

All while Ben... could.

Or that time when Iron Man got stomped by Trapster glue, had his armor damaged and needed help to rid himself of it:

Thing vol.2 #8
Iron Man Annual #12

While Ben had the superior version of said glue literally poured down his throat and all over his body and just flexed it off:

Hulk #19

Invincible Iron Man #2

and again...

Avengers #156
Avengers #156

and again...

Super-Villain Team-Up #9
Super-Villain Team-Up #9

The Mighty Avengers #9

FF vol.1 #157
FF vol.1 #157

Infamous Iron Man #2-3

And of course, Iron Man can't overpower Doom and has his strongest blast pretty much no sold:

Iron Man vol.1 #149

The Mighty Avengers #9

Tanks getting slammed into wall with no damage and one-shots Iron Man with a blast:

Iron Man vol.2 #11
Iron Man vol.2 #11

Marvel Fanfare #44

My favourite one: IM can't do shit to Doom even when assisted by Thor, Giant-Man and Captain America:

Doombot stalemates Iron Man in a beam clash (reminder that Doombots are identical to Doom's regular armor, but weild only a fraction of original's power):

Iron Man Legacy #5

While Ben... oh boy. Tanks everything Doom throws at him, trashes his armor and breaks his arms:

Fantastic Four vol.1 #40

One-shots Doom:

No sells Doom's blast, overpowers him completely and was about to kill him... if not for outside intervention:

Iron Man vol.2 #11

Fantastic Four vol.3 #31

Reed wearing Doom's armor doubts his forcefields and armor can withstand an assault of being with strength equal to Ben's:

Fantastic Four vol.3 #29
Fantastic Four vol.3 #29

Ben tanks a blast from Hunger; in the same issue Hunger completely destroys Doom's armor with a single blast (and Doom was amped at the moment too):

Fantastic Four vol.3 #70

Fantastic Four vol.4 #9

Fantastic Four vol.1 #60

Ben absolutely demolishes Dr. Doom who came from 75 years in the future, who had decades of prep and, in his future, faced Fantastic Four more powerful than the present one:

While he does get trashed in return afterwards, it was still a Doom more powerful than 616 one and who had decades worth of prep... and yet he was wrecked in a one-sided beatdown and needed 3 pages for his armor to get repaired to fight back, something he only managed to do because Ben was busy monologuing (pretty weird for a hero to make a classic villain mistake, but oh well).

FF #350, FF Annual #20, FF #156, Marvel Super Hero Island Adventures, FF #5, FF #246, FF vol.3 #31, FF #536/537, Fantastic Four Special

The scan from FF #246 is also relevant because that Doombot was more powerful than the real Doom, yet Ben still one-shot him when he stopped holding back:

Or that time when Iron Man in Hulkbuster Armor couldn't even extract a grunt from Professor Hulk and at best could knock him off his feet. All while Hulk was barely fighting back:

Iron Man #305

While Ben was ragdolling him, made him scream in pain and dislodged his molar, as well as tanked his hits when Prof. was actually fighting back:

Or that time when Iron Man had his armor damaged by one hit from Wrecker (who was at the time sharing his power with the rest of Wrecking Crew):

Secret Wars #8
Secret Wars #8

His armor got wrecked even worse when he faced full power Wrecker, and he couldn't do anything to Wrecker with either physicals or repulsors and only won by charging his crowbar with magnetic force:

Iron Man #251

And on another occasion couldn't beat Wrecker who was sharing his powers with WC with repulsors or physicals, got his arm damaged by a single crowbar toss and only managed to KO him with Namor's help:

Marvel Team-Up vol.2 #11

While Ben managed to tank a massive beatdown from Wrecker who had the full power of Wrecking Crew, overpowered him and knocked him out cold:

FF vol.1 #355

Humiliates Wrecker who may or may not have had the full power of WC after tanking hits from him with no damage:

As for Wrecker who is sharing his power with WC? Ben almost killed him once without any effort and one-shot on another occasion:

Or that time when Ronan no sold everything Iron Man threw at him, to the point he resorted to self-destruction:

Iron Man vol.1 #279

I get that everyone has biases, but it's ridiculous to me how willing Iron Man fans are to just stick their fingers in their ears and pretend that all these scans don't exist.

Until there's a proper response to this post and not "waaaa some of those scans are old and everything else is PIS, nothing there matters!!" I honestly don't see how anyone in their right mind could vote for Iron Man.

Yea I can't see how Tony wins this one with this amount of proof, other guys have to address this before making a judgement tbh

noobmaster2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#31  Edited By noobmaster2001

Thing should win, he's too strong and durable for Tony. Even if we ignore showings like Tony being inferior to people like Carol Danvers in recent years, Thing just has better showings against heavyweights. He's consistently shown as someone able to throw down with guys like the Hulk aswell as having great will and determination to win. The only way I see Tony winning is something like using sonics to drop Ben, or by BFR.

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@owie said:
@blackspidey2099 said:

Oh, I don't know. He's not dumb, he knows Thing well, ranged attacks would be the obvious thing to do. There's a certain degree where I'm orchestrating that strategy for him, but there's also the way you'd fight in a battle forum vs in a comic where the writers want to draw the fight out. It's just like why Cyclops doesn't just wipe everyone out instantly in every comic fight.

Tony isn’t dumb, but he’s not exactly a smart fighter either - certainly not in the same way someone like Captain America is. I feel like orchestrating a strategy is fine if he’s out of character/morals off/bloodlusted but it’s not so fine in a regular battle. Spamming attacks from range is extremely OOC to the point that I remember him doing it maybe once out of every single time Tony’s fought bricks that outclass him. At that point, you’re not even debating Iron Man, you’re debating for yourself in his suit IMO.

Karkus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Karkus

Marvel Feature #12

Avengers West Coast #75
Avengers West Coast #75

Marvel Two-In-One #75
Marvel Two-In-One #75

Fantastic Four vol.3 #15

Iron Man vol.2 #12

Iron Man vol.4 #12
Iron Man vol.4 #12

Fantastic Four vol.3 #27

Punsiher #228

Punisher #226

Wonder Man #2

Thing #5

Marvel Two-In-One #78

Wonder Man #15

Iron Man vol.1 #238

Thing #24

Thor #316

All while Ben... could.

Thing vol.2 #8

Iron Man Annual #12

Hulk #19

Invincible Iron Man #2

and again...

Avengers #156
Avengers #156

and again...

Super-Villain Team-Up #9
Super-Villain Team-Up #9

The Mighty Avengers #9

FF vol.1 #157
FF vol.1 #157

Infamous Iron Man #2-3

Iron Man vol.1 #149

The Mighty Avengers #9

Iron Man vol.2 #11
Iron Man vol.2 #11

Marvel Fanfare #44

Iron Man Legacy #5

Fantastic Four vol.1 #40

One-shots Doom:

Iron Man vol.2 #11

Fantastic Four vol.3 #31

Fantastic Four vol.3 #29
Fantastic Four vol.3 #29

Fantastic Four vol.3 #70

Fantastic Four vol.4 #9

Fantastic Four vol.1 #60

Iron Man #305

Secret Wars #8
Secret Wars #8

Iron Man #251

Marvel Team-Up vol.2 #11

FF vol.1 #355

Iron Man vol.1 #279

I was going to vote for Tony, until I saw this post. There are way too many instances in this post of Thing being portrayed as better than Tony for me not to.

noobmaster2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By noobmaster2001

@karkus: I agree with Ben winning and Tora made some good comparisons, but I have problems with some silly points he made.

Lilbroomstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Lilbroomstick

@everythingispis: I mean a lot of those comparisons to make Thing look better are just silly tbh. There are several situations there that make Iron Man look better and adding a caption that puts Thing in good light don't change. Bringinv up Doctor Doom only works on people who don't know the history of these characters. It's almost a fact that Doctor Doom will solo the Fantastic Four and fight evenly with Tony from their consistency. Most of Thing's good showings against Tony are in his old armors. Even then I feel like Tony has more direct comparisons that make him look better.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5Gallery image 6Gallery image 7Gallery image 8Gallery image 9Gallery image 10Gallery image 11Gallery image 12Gallery image 13
Probably out of order. Anyway here's a fight between Grey Hulk and cosmic "amped" Thing(I wouldn't consider him amped at this point though)
Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5Gallery image 6Gallery image 7Gallery image 8Gallery image 9Gallery image 10Gallery image 11
Their second fight

Let's compare that first fight to Iron Man's fight with Grey Hulk. Iron Man while holding back had Grey Hulk in pain for a long time, whereas Grey Hulk's attacks were easily eaten up by Iron Man. Thing had a full fledged brawl with Fixit and he was technically amped(at the time). Thing was a bit better, but that hardly showed the superiority that Iron Man did over Grulk. Before someone pulls up "Hulk Smash Avengers" I just wanna point that's an outlier for Grulk because Tony performed better against stronger Hulks in the same comic run with weaker armors. The second fight shows Ben can get defeated by a more tactical and weaker opponent despite having nearly every advantage. I don't think this is something an opponent like Iron Man won't exploit. Even if I did agree Thing was stronger.

That's another thing. Toratorn kept taking situations from completely different time periods and compared them to make their point which is flawed due to several different reasons. They really only had a few relevant showings where Thing was truly performing better. That's just my opinion though.

Edit: I mean cmon has Thing really been better than the likes of Wonder Man, Giant-Man, Thor, and especially Doctor Doom?

JeffoTheBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tony is just to fast for Ben and is definitely much more intelligent than him.

noobmaster2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lilbroomstick: Thing grows stronger over the years due to constant cosmic ray absorption, like all of the FF actually. He's a lot stronger than his past self.

Warlockmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

i mean Ben routinely does well against Tony of the several times they have come across each other Ben always looks superior.

Lilbroomstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@noobmaster2001: I noted that(several times). That's also something I don't get. CV will always make an excuse for Ben doing poorly in the past because he's gotten stronger yet will also using him doing well against an old Iron Man armor to say he's better. CV switch-up is funny.

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Some of these arguments for Tony are getting absolutely ridiculous at this point...

• Using Dr. Doom catching Ben’s punch as a feat for Tony, lmao. Just because he called himself Iron Man for a little bit doesn’t change the fact that Doom is consistently far more intelligent and powerful than Tony is. Funnily enough, Ben actually had the upper hand in that fight - so imagine how easily he’d wreck Tony’s far less advanced armors. Heck, Doom was already clearly above Extremis Tony in his classic armor, so Doom’s more advanced nanotech armor would clearly be even better.
  • Citing Ben being wrecked by the likes of Hulk and Thor and Wonder Man when Tony consistently performs far worse against them.
  • Acting like each new Iron Man armor is an upgrade over previous armors when in practice they usually tend to be the same level if not downgrades. A quick comparison of Tony’s feats against mid and high tiers in older armies vs more modern armors will clearly show that Tony’s only been getting worse over the years. On the other hand, Ben has legit been getting stronger over the years, with actual feats to back it up.
  • Dismissing Ben’s feats against high tiers as outliers/inconsistent while in the same breath using feats for Tony against legit teambuster tier characters. The fact is that Ben has more impressive showings against high tiers than Tony does, and also has fewer instances of losing against street tiers/mid tiers than Tony does.
Lilbroomstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackspidey2099: I'm not even going to be the one to address all of that but Galactus is a completely different tier than pretty much everyone named in this thread so far.

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By blackspidey2099

@lilbroomstick: I don’t think anyone in this thread has mentioned Galactus except for you tbh. Ben hurting Galan is about as inconsistent as Tony doing anything to Mangog.

The_Red_Devil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'll say Tony should win.

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

smh I hate old scaling, that's why I'll scale a old suit of Iron Man to a old version of Thing against a old version of Hulk, that'll show them

Lilbroomstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackspidey2099: That's the only outlier I mentioned for Thing. Tony hurting Mangog had context.

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackspidey2099: That's the only outlier I mentioned for Thing. Tony hurting Mangog had context.

Powering himself up with the electrical current of a city would not make Iron Man capable of hurting Mangog. That's just facts.

MattyBoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tony.

Lilbroomstick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@professorrespect: I don't see why not. With a good power source he's shown to be a lot more powerful(like against King Thor, Thor, Graviton, Silver Surfer ect.) unless a better armor like Bleeding edge has some anti-feat for his blast I wouldn't say that's an outlier.

The Grey Hulk stuff doesn't show who the winner of this battle is. It just shows that even against armors Ben has "consistently" shown to be superior to here aren't truly inferior.

ProfessorRespect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@professorrespect: I don't see why not.

Because Mangog's no sold star busting attacks multiple times? Iron Man with a city supply of power wouldn't make him that strong.