Battle Of The Week: Thanos VS Larfleeze

• 139 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Battle Of The Week: Thanos VS Larfleeze (156 votes)

Thanos 48%
Larfleeze 44%
Too Close To Call 8%
No Caption Provided

For this weeks battle of the week we've decided to try our first above herald tier match up and put Thanos The Mad Titan against Larfleeze the one and only orange lantern!

Match Rules

• Combatants are in character.
  • This is a random encounter (no prep for either side) and both characters have standard gear.
  • They're fighting on a barren planet
  • Standard Gear
  • Larfleeze has pre and new 52 feats
  • This is standard 616 Thanos. So no infinity gauntlet, cosmic cube, etc.
  • Please keep in mind that I will be reading the thread so make sure to debate within forum rules (I really don't want to hand out warnings)
  • Incapacitation, knockout, or death all count as elimination. Making a tactical retreat counts as a loss, too. "What's a tactical retreat?" It's leaving the fight with the intention of not returning to the battle in the immediate future. Going to another spot in the environment to catch your breath for a moment or two or for a tactical advantage is not a tactical retreat. No BFR
  • Treating everyone else in the debate with respect is a sign of a good debater. If you think someone's saying something that just isn't true, go ahead and stick to the facts to point out why. There's no need at all to drop insults just because you disagree with someone. This is just talking about a fictional fight, there's no need for immaturity and mudslinging about fan fic.
  • If you think the poll isn't going how it should, making an informative post about why a character is being underestimated and spreading the word is far more useful than complaining.
  • One more thing: you don't need to write an essay to have your post highlighted in Friday's article. Sometimes concise posts can be way more effective than a flood of paragraphs.
  • Votes last till Friday, and the votes will be posted in the OP to see where combatants stand by Friday. Votes do not determine who wins, only who the majority at the time sides with.

Special thanks to @k4tzm4n for allowing me and other users to continue making these battle of the week threads

• 
Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

So is the Thanos Infinity Finale canon? Because it involves regular Hulk, Thor and Captain America and takes place after several Marvel events such as Civil War II. Just seems odd this fits into continuity when it involves the old versions of characters that have new mantles currently.

It's canon but it has to take place well into the future to make sense continuity wise. Whether it's a continuity abomination depends on what happens later along the line with Thor Hulk and the like.

Avatar image for bullet_to_the_head
Bullet_to_the_Head

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lucano said:

Someone else pointed this already, but The Guardians of Oa, are already by feats, Thanos level, or above maybe... Larfleeze was fighting with 7 of them after fighting an army of Lanterns... Larfleeze by logic, should outclass Thanos.

By reputation and AMOUNT of feats, yeah Thanos will win everytime, being a fan-favorite, but Agent Orange should be above him when it is all said and done.

Didn't Larfleeze get beat by a bunch of lanterns in the New Gods Arc?

Avatar image for deactivated-614ce5c370323
deactivated-614ce5c370323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God Thanos for the win

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@lvenger said:

So is the Thanos Infinity Finale canon? Because it involves regular Hulk, Thor and Captain America and takes place after several Marvel events such as Civil War II. Just seems odd this fits into continuity when it involves the old versions of characters that have new mantles currently.

yeah it is canon. The continuity is kind of messed up for it but I believe it takes place after civil war 2. Th

That's good then, I wanted it to be canon even if it wasn't. Thanks for the info.

Nima_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Nima_

@emperorthanos: @lvenger: in the beginning of Infinity Relativity when Thanos reunites with Death in her castle, he apologizes to her referencing doubting her dedication to him and him thinking nothing was what he needed IIRC. That's clearly referencing his current feelings on death and nothingness. So this seems like post Civil War Thanos.

Adriusus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#107  Edited By Adriusus

Thanos.

emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 emperorthanos-  Moderator  Online

@foxerdes said:

Well I have seen this in CaV before and I support the result, Larfleeze should win.

May I ask which CaV you are talking about? Though CaVs are more about the debaters rather than characters so they aren't the best measure for power.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 emperorthanos-  Moderator  Online

@lvenger said:
@emperorthanos said:
@foxerdes said:

Well I have seen this in CaV before and I support the result, Larfleeze should win.

May I ask which CaV you are talking about? Though CaVs are more about the debaters rather than characters so they aren't the best measure for power.

This is the one: http://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/battles-7/voting-closed-seeffiss17-won-larfleeze-vs-thanos-1752630/ You debated in it, you should know :P

Lol I was wondering if there was a different one. I was new to high tier debating back then, so that really isn't an accurate depiction of who would win.

Nima_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mysticmedivh said:
@nima_ said:

How does Thanos lose this? Wasn't he tanking multiple energy blasts from Annhilius warship that in a single hit blew up Thor and Colossus to pieces in that Infinity Relativity arc?

Someone please clarify the context of those feats if they are true. I have not read the story yet.

For Larfleeze experts, how well does Larfleeze perform against non Lanterns? If taking out Lanterns and/or beings dependent on the respective power battery is his speciality, how does it translate to this fight?

It also one-shotted/blew up Gladiator and Hulk, IIRC.

It was only Thor that was caught in the same blast as Thanos and he only tanked one. Larfleeze can just drain or overpower Thanos anyways. He doesn't need to overpower his durability.

Thanos took the first one that killed Nightcrawler. Everyone other subsequent blast killed the likes of Gladiator, Dr. Doom. Loki, Hulk, Captain Universe, Captain Marvel, etc.

Scan on the left shows the first blast Thanos took. Right one shows the one that turned Gladiator to mush.

Can you show me Larfleeze draining non Lanterns? Isn't he supposed to pretty much be a siphon to those who depend on a power battery/lantern?

The fact Thanos has dealt with competent energy drainers like Ronan, Quasar, Warlock and Surfer, some regularly, and none of them have "drained" him makes me question that plan of attack.

@jashro44 said:

@nima_: All that really suggests is death doesn't have any control over if Thanos lives or dies....I don't think it suggests anything about deaths army at all.

We will have to agree to disagree. I feel it is a title like you said, granted to him by Death, but I also feel it automatically means it is an ability he could use at his disposal. It is his portal doors he's opening to summon them to battle. Would Dr. Doom be not allowed to summon Mindless Ones or demons if this were his battle? Or Falcon summoning hawks? And so and and so forth. Larfleeze using his construct army is ok? I do not see the false equivalence of Batman paging/texting Superman, Wonder Woman, etc. as what we are saying about Thanos' new title/ability. (Also, if Death has no control over Thanos, then he has complete free will to do what he wants with the Legion of Death, no?)

Lastly, a common theme in the Infinity Saga the last couple years has been Starlin showing off new Thanos abilities (technopathy, portal doors, more offensive telepathy, new types of energy attacks, etc), as it was prophesied in Thanos Annual #1 by one of his Avatars created by the Infinity Gauntlet that his power levels will increase, ergo increasing his rank in the cosmic hierarchy:

No Caption Provided

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nima_:

Thanos took the first one that killed Nightcrawler. Everyone other subsequent blast killed the likes of Gladiator, Dr. Doom. Loki, Hulk, Captain Universe, Captain Marvel, etc.

Scan on the left shows the first blast Thanos took. Right one shows the one that turned Gladiator to mush.

Thor was equally hit by the blast that killed Gladiator. I assume he was just closer to the epicenter. Thanos did outperform Thor in durability later though.

Can you show me Larfleeze draining non Lanterns? Isn't he supposed to pretty much be a siphon to those who depend on a power battery/lantern?

He absorbed magic one of the Lanterns was using. His draining has nothing to do with the emotional spectrum.

The fact Thanos has dealt with competent energy drainers like Ronan, Quasar, Warlock and Surfer, some regularly, and none of them have "drained" him makes me question that plan of attack.

None of them were powerful enough to contend with Thanos which gave them little opportunity. Conversely Larfleeze is much more powerful.

DCLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 2

Larfleeze

noah_ouellette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emperorthanos: I went on two phonebook threads. But the original i said all of the places I would wish to be. Thanks. And i meant any defensive barriers larfleeze threw up around himself. Thanos isnt breaking through those.

Jbourne_32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lucano said:

Someone else pointed this already, but The Guardians of Oa, are already by feats, Thanos level, or above maybe... Larfleeze was fighting with 7 of them after fighting an army of Lanterns... Larfleeze by logic, should outclass Thanos.

By reputation and AMOUNT of feats, yeah Thanos will win everytime, being a fan-favorite, but Agent Orange should be above him when it is all said and done.

Didn't Larfleeze get beat by a bunch of lanterns in the New Gods Arc?

I was just reading that he was being held off by hal, kilowog, and a bunch of rookies, I don't know what impressive feats he he has recently tbh

emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 emperorthanos-  Moderator  Online

@emperorthanos: I went on two phonebook threads. But the original i said all of the places I would wish to be. Thanks. And i meant any defensive barriers larfleeze threw up around himself. Thanos isnt breaking through those.

which one did you put it in? the old thread are no longer being used.

And why not? how strong are they.

noah_ouellette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emperorthanos: Like they dealt with parallax while inside sinestro. Parallax is galactic or more. And the first thread i did.

spiderbuck1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

People seem to forget Larfleeze isn't as strong as his classic self. He is still a living lantern corps but given that hal jordan and a few rookie lanterns could hold him off,as they did in godhead, Thanos shouldn't have much of a problem. After all, he singlehandedly (for the most part) stomped the annhilators. Thanos also has powerful energy absorption.

Avatar image for termiteone4ever
termiteone4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Roach face is too powerful . For darn sure Thanos isnt more powerful than a battery lol. Lets not talk about some of he armies and powerful creatures he has in that battery

Lucano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jbourne_32: Well, recently? Nah, but the OP states Pre New-52 feats are taken into consideration too... So... He has that impressive feat of fending off armies of Lanterns and then making fun of the Guardians to a point in which they pretty much gave up. Man he even has a Guardian/Lantern/Construct...

Nima_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Nima_

@highaccuser: No the first blast that took out Nightcrawler along with Thanos was a direct hit. Thanos and Thor did not get hit directly the first time (when it killed Gladiator).

Galactus did not absorb Thanos' cosmic energy either. Did Annihilus use his cosmic rod at all to absorb Thanos' energy?

I still fail to see how Larfleeze beats Thanos, especially so soundly as many are saying.

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nima_ said:

@highaccuser: No the first blast that took out Nightcrawler along with Thanos was a direct hit. Thanos and Thor did not get hit directly the first time (when it killed Gladiator).

Galactus did not absorb Thanos' cosmic energy either. Did Annihilus use his cosmic rod at all to absorb Thanos' energy?

I still fail to see how Larfleeze beats Thanos, especially so soundly as many are saying.

Which is what I said. I think we're confusing each other with wording but agree.

Galactus didn't need to drain someone who was fodder to him. I don't think Annihilus has his Rod anymore. Regardless you're arguing what characters have neglected to do rather than what they've failed to do.

Jbourne_32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lucano said:

@jbourne_32: Well, recently? Nah, but the OP states Pre New-52 feats are taken into consideration too... So... He has that impressive feat of fending off armies of Lanterns and then making fun of the Guardians to a point in which they pretty much gave up. Man he even has a Guardian/Lantern/Construct...

Well I probably should have read that then huh. In that case I suppose Larfleeze would win in a somewhat close battle.

Nima_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Nima_

@highaccuser: Exactly he is fodder to Galactus but that does not change the fact that Galactus could have absorbed him into an empty vessel. I just gave doubts Larfleeze would absorb Thanos, when characters more familiar with him have never tried it, and in addition, we really do not know if that works on Thanos with the whole "he is beyond death" thing. What exactly happens after that? He suddenly becomes powerless?

lariend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By lariend

@highaccuser: Annihilus had his Rod in the infinity saga. We see it several times and in the end of the story we see Adam take it away from him.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally decided to vote on my own suggested match up, after reading the arguments offered in what would be a very close fight, I'm going with Larfleeze based on his original Lantern busting showings with his construct army and his energy draining capabilities.

senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Larfleeze has some insane feats. I have to say, I was swayed.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Bump

Avatar image for crushyourenemies
CRUSHYOURENEMIES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackestnight93 said:

@emperorthanos: Larfleeze was able to take on Kyle Rayner, Bleez, Arkillo, Indio-1 (I think) and Fatality at the same time and put them on the defensive (Although it is worthy to note that while Fatality did pin him down later, his constructs are weak to Violet light, so it makes sense). He is durable enough to take blows from multiple guardians of the universe at the same time too, so it's not like he's a glass cannon.

I'm kinda learning as I go with him, so I'm probably not doing him justice at all. Apologies if my arguments appear weak. Plus, my own lack of knowledge with Thanos probably doesn't help my case lol

Thanos has a better feat than Larfleeze's with the Lanterns IMO

Thanos was able to literally walk through the entire Annhiliators( A group consisting of Beta Ray Bill, Ronan The Accuser, Silver Surfer, Quasar and Gladiator), like it wasn't even a fight. It wasn't a fight to the point where Adam Warlock KO'ed Surfer because he thought that Thanos would kill him by accident. This is before his current upgrade, where he is looking stronger than ever

He only defeated two of them and avoided the powerhouse. Adam took care of the rest. Let's not overblow feats now.

Vertigo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@decaf_wizard said:
@blackestnight93 said:

@emperorthanos: Larfleeze was able to take on Kyle Rayner, Bleez, Arkillo, Indio-1 (I think) and Fatality at the same time and put them on the defensive (Although it is worthy to note that while Fatality did pin him down later, his constructs are weak to Violet light, so it makes sense). He is durable enough to take blows from multiple guardians of the universe at the same time too, so it's not like he's a glass cannon.

I'm kinda learning as I go with him, so I'm probably not doing him justice at all. Apologies if my arguments appear weak. Plus, my own lack of knowledge with Thanos probably doesn't help my case lol

Thanos was able to literally walk through the entire Annhiliators( A group consisting of Beta Ray Bill, Ronan The Accuser, Silver Surfer, Quasar and Gladiator), like it wasn't even a fight. It wasn't a fight to the point where Adam Warlock KO'ed Surfer because he thought that Thanos would kill him by accident. This is before his current upgrade, where he is looking stronger than ever

He only defeated two of them and avoided the powerhouse. Adam took care of the rest. Let's not overblow feats now.

You wouldn't happen to have scans, perchance?

emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 emperorthanos-  Moderator  Online

@crushyourenemies said:
@decaf_wizard said:
@blackestnight93 said:

You wouldn't happen to have scans, perchance?

you mean scans of his fight with the annihilators?

Vertigo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emperorthanos: Yeah. Since there is a challenge to the feat, I figure scans of said fight would clear the matter up. That, and I just wanna see it.It sounds like a badass feat

emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 emperorthanos-  Moderator  Online

@emperorthanos: Yeah. Since there is a challenge to the feat, I figure scans of said fight would clear the matter up. That, and I just wanna see it.It sounds like a badass feat

No what he said was right. Adam did help him beat the Annihilator's. All Thanos did was beat Beta Ray Bill and Ronan while BFRing Gladiator. But Adam stated that the only reason he got involved was because he was afraid Thanos would kill them, which he didn't want since they were his allies in the past.

Vertigo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackestnight93 said:

No what he said was right. Adam did help him beat the Annihilator's. All Thanos did was beat Beta Ray Bill and Ronan while BFRing Gladiator. But Adam stated that the only reason he got involved was because he was afraid Thanos would kill them, which he didn't want since they were his allies in the past.

fair enough then.

emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 emperorthanos-  Moderator  Online

@emperorthanos said:
@blackestnight93 said:

fair enough then.

but here it is. If you want to see it with your own eyes.

Thanos and Adam vs Annihilators

Thanos just says the fight was a little exercise at the end

Vertigo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emperorthanos: thanks.

And damn, he effortlessly curbed Bill and Ronan.

emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 emperorthanos-  Moderator  Online

@emperorthanos: thanks.

And damn, he effortlessly curbed Bill and Ronan.

Pretty much. He would have defeated the Annihilator's regardless of Adam or not.

Vertigo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for crushyourenemies
CRUSHYOURENEMIES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blackestnight93 said:

which means nothing.

implied feat at best.

could he do it? Maybe. but he didn't. The fact that he strategically removed Gladiator serves as evidence that he believed the team could pose a challenge to him.