• 139 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by jashro44 (51707 posts) 2 years, 7 months ago

Poll: Battle Of The Week: Thanos VS Larfleeze (128 votes)

Thanos 53%
Larfleeze 38%
Too Close To Call 9%
No Caption Provided

For this weeks battle of the week we've decided to try our first above herald tier match up and put Thanos The Mad Titan against Larfleeze the one and only orange lantern!

Match Rules

• Combatants are in character.
  • This is a random encounter (no prep for either side) and both characters have standard gear.
  • They're fighting on a barren planet
  • Standard Gear
  • Larfleeze has pre and new 52 feats
  • This is standard 616 Thanos. So no infinity gauntlet, cosmic cube, etc.
  • Please keep in mind that I will be reading the thread so make sure to debate within forum rules (I really don't want to hand out warnings)
  • Incapacitation, knockout, or death all count as elimination. Making a tactical retreat counts as a loss, too. "What's a tactical retreat?" It's leaving the fight with the intention of not returning to the battle in the immediate future. Going to another spot in the environment to catch your breath for a moment or two or for a tactical advantage is not a tactical retreat. No BFR
  • Treating everyone else in the debate with respect is a sign of a good debater. If you think someone's saying something that just isn't true, go ahead and stick to the facts to point out why. There's no need at all to drop insults just because you disagree with someone. This is just talking about a fictional fight, there's no need for immaturity and mudslinging about fan fic.
  • If you think the poll isn't going how it should, making an informative post about why a character is being underestimated and spreading the word is far more useful than complaining.
  • One more thing: you don't need to write an essay to have your post highlighted in Friday's article. Sometimes concise posts can be way more effective than a flood of paragraphs.
  • Votes last till Friday, and the votes will be posted in the OP to see where combatants stand by Friday. Votes do not determine who wins, only who the majority at the time sides with.

Special thanks to @k4tzm4n for allowing me and other users to continue making these battle of the week threads

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
#1 Posted by AllStarSuperman (42611 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn. This better bring in some discussion.

#2 Posted by Vertigo- (17490 posts) - - Show Bio

well shit, this one is gonna be super close for sure.

#3 Posted by Sy8000 (34767 posts) - - Show Bio

Larfleeze is too powerful for Thanos.

#4 Posted by never give up (24994 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by StormShadow_X (15929 posts) - - Show Bio

Not the biggest Thanos Expert so I'll wait.

#6 Edited by Vertigo- (17490 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for cosmicallyaware1
#7 Posted by cosmicallyaware1 (7308 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm undecided at this point. My main question would be......what can each other do to harm the other?

#8 Posted by NighThunder (7725 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll probably be backing thanos heavily here..

I'll need to read a bit though.

#9 Posted by Vertigo- (17490 posts) - - Show Bio

@dondave saw your name in the phonebook for Larfleeze. What do you think here?

#10 Edited by EmperorThanos- (15580 posts) - - Show Bio

I will try put an argument up for Thanos soon.

#11 Edited by juiceboks (24530 posts) - - Show Bio

Larfleeze should be able to just drain him honestly.

#12 Posted by AcroKat (7384 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty sure Larfleeze owned (owns) a reality warper...

#13 Edited by decaf_wizard (16631 posts) - - Show Bio

Currently, Thanos wins. IIRC Larfleeze was toned down after his early showing of taking down the whole GL Corps

#14 Posted by SirFizzWhizz (37749 posts) - - Show Bio

Let the games begin.

#15 Posted by EmperorThanos- (15580 posts) - - Show Bio

I recently did this exact cav and lost but I have learnt from my mistakes and I will prove why Thanos is superior.

Strength

I think this is where Thanos has an advantage. He is stronger than Larfleeze. He has easily manhandles people like Hulk and Thing etc. I can provide stuff if people want.

Speed

Larfleeze is FTL, while Thanos isn't but in his several battles with Surfer, speed has never been used against him successfully

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5

Here is just one fight between him and Surfer. Larfleeze is fast but I doubt he faster than Surfer. Who has been unable to blitz Thanos.

Durability

From what I recall Larfleeze is a planet buster. Which Thanos will have no problem dealing with

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3

Here he survives the explosion of a gas giant.

Yellow Lantern army

Thanos can now call forth his own army to combat this

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3

As you can see here Thanos summons his legion of dead. These things were stronger than the army of Annihilus.

Energy Manipulation

Larfleeze's strong suit. But Thanos has shields and energy blasts as well.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4

Beats Kosmos who is a mix of post Retcon beyonder and molecule man

Just some basic stuff for Thanos. Thanos doesn't use TP often in battle and Larfleeze does have TP resistance, so I'm going avoid going into that avenue though I expect it to be brought up.

Anyways I believe Thanos wins but Larfleeze is extremely powerful. So I will wait to see the argument being brought up for him.

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
#16 Posted by deactivated-59dfd33ed3601 (5575 posts) - - Show Bio

Whoa....a war

#17 Edited by Vertigo- (17490 posts) - - Show Bio

@emperorthanos: how often has Thanos done that whole "summoning his army of undead thing"?

Based on your scan, it doesn't look like he can do it all that quickly. Anything to suggest a timespan? Cause I know Larfleeze can summon his as easy as it takes a GL to make a construct, and all his army are sentient.

#18 Posted by jashro44 (51707 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Edited by EmperorThanos- (15580 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackestnight93 said:

@emperorthanos: how often has Thanos done that whole "summoning his army of undead thing"?

Based on your scan, it doesn't look like he can do it all that quickly. Anything to suggest a timespan? Cause I know Larfleeze can summon his as easy as it takes to form a GL to make a construct, and all his army are sentient.

It was a recent power he just acquired so that is his first showing of it. And he summons it pretty quickly.

edit: I see it isn't allowed either way.

#20 Posted by Vertigo- (17490 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44: does larfleeze have access to his? technically they're constructs

#21 Posted by Jbourne_32 (2224 posts) - - Show Bio

People seem to forget Larfleeze isn't as strong as his classic self. He is still a living lantern corps but given that hal jordan and a few rookie lanterns could hold him off,as they did in godhead, Thanos shouldn't have much of a problem. After all, he singlehandedly (for the most part) stomped the annhilators. Thanos also has powerful energy absorption.

#22 Posted by jashro44 (51707 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44: does larfleeze have access to his? technically they're constructs

Yes Larfleeze has access to his constructs.

#23 Posted by Vertigo- (17490 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Posted by jashro44 (51707 posts) - - Show Bio
#25 Edited by EmperorThanos- (15580 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Posted by Vertigo- (17490 posts) - - Show Bio

@emperorthanos: From what I can gather, his constructs seem to be able to match green lanterns (like take their hits, etc) in combat. . Plus, they can absorb the constructs of Green lanterns, even those created by the Guardians themselves. Not sure how strong Thanos' AOE blasts are though.

#27 Posted by Vertigo- (17490 posts) - - Show Bio

@emperorthanos: he also has the ability to create a super sized construct of himself that's able to tangle with at least a dozen green lanterns and send them flying with it's blows.

#28 Posted by EmperorThanos- (15580 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackestnight93: Beating regular green lantern's isn't impressive by Thanos's standards. Thanos was able to survive a battle with an amped version of the annihilation wave that laid waste to all of the greatest heros on Earth.

His AOE blasts are pretty huge. And it was able to take several prisoners in a space prison that held people like Gladiator, Star Lord and Kosmos. He has also used it against the avengers.

Avatar image for emperorxhadesx420
#29 Posted by EmperorxHadesx420 (2324 posts) - - Show Bio

The Lantern. Thanos overated

#30 Posted by Vertigo- (17490 posts) - - Show Bio

@emperorthanos: Larfleeze was able to take on Kyle Rayner, Bleez, Arkillo, Indio-1 (I think) and Fatality at the same time and put them on the defensive (Although it is worthy to note that while Fatality did pin him down later, his constructs are weak to Violet light, so it makes sense). He is durable enough to take blows from multiple guardians of the universe at the same time too, so it's not like he's a glass cannon.

I'm kinda learning as I go with him, so I'm probably not doing him justice at all. Apologies if my arguments appear weak. Plus, my own lack of knowledge with Thanos probably doesn't help my case lol

#31 Edited by decaf_wizard (16631 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackestnight93 said:

@emperorthanos: Larfleeze was able to take on Kyle Rayner, Bleez, Arkillo, Indio-1 (I think) and Fatality at the same time and put them on the defensive (Although it is worthy to note that while Fatality did pin him down later, his constructs are weak to Violet light, so it makes sense). He is durable enough to take blows from multiple guardians of the universe at the same time too, so it's not like he's a glass cannon.

I'm kinda learning as I go with him, so I'm probably not doing him justice at all. Apologies if my arguments appear weak. Plus, my own lack of knowledge with Thanos probably doesn't help my case lol

Thanos has a better feat than Larfleeze's with the Lanterns IMO

Thanos was able to literally walk through the entire Annhiliators( A group consisting of Beta Ray Bill, Ronan The Accuser, Silver Surfer, Quasar and Gladiator), like it wasn't even a fight. It wasn't a fight to the point where Adam Warlock KO'ed Surfer because he thought that Thanos would kill him by accident. This is before his current upgrade, where he is looking stronger than ever

#32 Posted by Vertigo- (17490 posts) - - Show Bio

@decaf_wizard: wait what? Adam KO'd his own teammate so Thanos wouldn't kill him?

#33 Posted by MysticMedivh (32250 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackestnight93: @jashro44:

It's a new power. Not a typical army, I think.

Death recently amped Thanos, in which Thanos now, it would seem, is a soul manipulator and commands the dead. Every living being that has died is now under his control.

Infinity Finale, where the feat was performed, came out a month or two ago, so the feat is still fresh.

#34 Posted by EmperorThanos- (15580 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanos was able to take on the annihilators pretty easily and would have killed them if not for Warlock, battled Odin(he was going to lose but he survived), The Avengers etc. He has far better showings when it comes to opponents.

#35 Posted by phillip33 (3466 posts) - - Show Bio

Adding to what everyone has said, in infinity finale thanos tanked multiple blasts that busted galactus, the celestials, and OHKO'D thor, gladiator, and hyperion via vaporization...

#36 Posted by decaf_wizard (16631 posts) - - Show Bio

@decaf_wizard: wait what? Adam KO'd his own teammate so Thanos wouldn't kill him?

Adam KO'd Surfer (Adam is not part of the Annhiliators) because he didn't want Thanos to kill him

#37 Edited by Vertigo- (17490 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackestnight93 said:

Thanos was able to take on the annihilators pretty easily and would have killed them if not for Warlock, battled Odin(he was going to lose but he survived), The Avengers etc. He has far better showings when it comes to opponents.

Larfleeze was able to solo Xum of All Things, who was "one with the cosmic an'ankra essence that binds all creation" who could supposedly "tear his physical form asunder with a thought". Larfleeze took his blow (that was meant to destory him), came back and started draining him, then creates a drill construct and literally drills into his head to try and get "all things" since he thought "all the things" was literally inside him. Larfleeze is funny like that imo.

Sure Thanos has more feats, but most times Larfleeze is portrayed as not too bright, or is used for comic relief. Thanos is a way more serious villain. When Larfleeze is serious, he's able to pull off things like fighting entire lantern corps and being so powerful that the guardians of the universe would rather make peace with him then continue fighting him. That's how he got his own guardian.

#38 Posted by Vertigo- (17490 posts) - - Show Bio
@blackestnight93 said:

Adam KO'd Surfer (Adam is not part of the Annhiliators) because he didn't want Thanos to kill him

Oh, the way it was written, I thought they were on the same team

#39 Posted by wbr17 (3516 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanos wins the pool via bias.

Larfleeze wins via logic.

#40 Posted by Vertigo- (17490 posts) - - Show Bio
@wbr17 said:

Thanos wins the pool via bias.

Larfleeze wins via logic.

Got some reasoning there, by chance?

#41 Posted by EmperorThanos- (15580 posts) - - Show Bio

@emperorthanos said:
@blackestnight93 said:

Larfleeze was able to solo Xum of All Things, who was "one with the cosmic an'ankra essence that binds all creation" who could supposedly "tear his physical form asunder with a thought". Larfleeze took his blow (that was meant to destory him), came back and started draining him, then creates a drill construct and literally drills into his head to try and get "all things" since he thought "all the things" was literally inside him. Larfleeze is funny like that imo.

Sure Thanos has more feats, but most times Larfleeze is portrayed as not too bright, or is used for comic relief. Thanos is a way more serious villain. When Larfleeze is serious, he's able to pull off things like fighting entire lantern corps and being so powerful that the guardians of the universe would rather make peace with him then continue fighting him. That's how he got his own guardian.

I mean we can keep this going. Thanos just has more consistent showings agaisnt tough opponents and very rearely gets beat by lower opponents. Unlike Larfleeze who did get beat by the green lanterns in the New Gods storyline

and that's exactly why Thanos should win. Remember this is in character and a random encounter. Thanos has been shown to end conflict as soon as possible using the quickest method he can find. meaning THanos will do whatever it takes to beat Larfleeze early while Larfleeze's childish nature will be his down fall.

#42 Posted by oldwasher (1735 posts) - - Show Bio

@emperorthanos: you're post has convinced me of leaning toward thanos. not going to vote officially yet but I'll back thanos for now

#43 Edited by Vertigo- (17490 posts) - - Show Bio

@emperorthanos said:
@blackestnight93 said:
@emperorthanos said:
@blackestnight93 said:

I mean we can keep this going. Thanos just has more consistent showings agaisnt tough opponents and very rearely gets beat by lower opponents. Unlike Larfleeze who did get beat by the green lanterns in the New Gods storyline

and that's exactly why Thanos should win. Remember this is in character and a random encounter. Thanos has been shown to end conflict as soon as possible using the quickest method he can find. meaning THanos will do whatever it takes to beat Larfleeze early while Larfleeze's childish nature will be his down fall.

Wasn't that a larfleeze who got his ring stolen by a new god? Since it's composite pre/new52, i figure we were using larfleeze when he was at his best, such as he has his ring, and his battery. I don't know enough about that Larfleeze to make a case. Not to mention he's significantly weaker then he was in his pre-52 days, or so it seems.

Also, I was wrong about how he got his guardian. He got it for helping out during the blackest night storyline.

#44 Posted by jashro44 (51707 posts) - - Show Bio

@blackestnight93: @jashro44:

It's a new power. Not a typical army, I think.

Death recently amped Thanos, in which Thanos now, it would seem, is a soul manipulator and commands the dead. Every living being that has died is now under his control.

Infinity Finale, where the feat was performed, came out a month or two ago, so the feat is still fresh.

Reading the scan Thanos says he was able to do that because mistress death made him the commander of her army because they are lovers. Its not something Thanos does under his own powers. Its like if batman called for the justice league for back up. Thanos is the commander of her army but it isn't his power that controls them, its his status as deaths lovers and the commander of her army.

Additionally Thanos has recently fallen in love with nothing instead of death so he may no longer have that power anymore (even if I were to agree it was his power in the first place).

#45 Edited by MysticMedivh (32250 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44: Of course it's not under his own power in the sense that Thanos naturally doesn't have that power. Death empowering Thanos gives him that power. Just like Galactus giving someone the Power Cosmic.

What issue did he fall in love with nothing?

#46 Posted by jashro44 (51707 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44: Of course it's not under his own power in the sense that Thanos naturally doesn't have that power. Death empowering Thanos gives him that power. Just like Galactus giving someone the Power Cosmic.

I don't think its like that. Its like if you were put in charge of the American Army and you were able to just tell them what to do. But just because you send a group of soldiers to beat up maywhether doesn't mean you beat him up. The impression I get is that it doesn't have anything to do with thanos actual powers and abilities but his resources.

Basically Thanos can control deaths army because she allows it. Its her will they are following from what I am reading.

It happened recently in ultimate (issue 5). There doing a story line that is setup for civil war 2:

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2

This story line is still ongoing at the moment. Basically when Doom killed Thanos in secret wars Thanos was sent to the realm of nothing. I don't know if death will allow Thanos to command her army currently.

#47 Edited by MysticMedivh (32250 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44: I see.

And I guess we interpret it differently. I don't really see it as a military position but as more of a power or ability.

But yeah, goes without saying that he can do this because of Death.

#48 Posted by Nima_ (2104 posts) - - Show Bio

Reading the scan, it looks like it was a new power given to him by death. He appears to not even have to be around to control their actions. It would make it a little unfair that Larfleeze pretty much gets his endless construct army in this bout. Especially since I've heard a lot say that Larfleeze is way out of Thanos' pay grade (or maybe it's another case or over hyping high end feats)

Nevertheless, I highly doubt Thanos has those powers because like Jashro44 said, those powers were contingent on being Death's lover, who Thanos is no longer in love with thanks to his Secret Wars demise which left him in "the absence" that resulted in his love of nothing (The Ultimates Vol 2 #5):

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2

Added note: Starlin's story where he fights Hulked Out Annihilus seems to hardly follow any of the continuity timeline in the rest of the 616. It is definitely canon, it is just hard to pinpoint when it happened and no other writer seems to put any of it in consideration. In addition it all takes place pre Secret Wars, yet why did he not have control of the Deadlands (unlike KOTD Panther who could)?

#49 Posted by Nima_ (2104 posts) - - Show Bio

@jashro44: @mysticmedivh: Woops jash beat me to it. But yeah, I do agree that it was more of a power that came with a title versus just a title. Like I said before though, Thanos does have an army (including his Black Order/Cabal), but Starlin did not include them in his arc.

#50 Posted by Sy8000 (34767 posts) - - Show Bio

The Guardians are all within Thanos' tier of power and Larfleeze fought seven of them along with loads of Green Lanterns with just his constructs while not even being on the battlefield. I don't see how Thanos can contend.