Battle of the Week: Superman vs Sinestro

• 111 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Poll Battle of the Week: Superman vs Sinestro (136 votes)

Superman 49%
Sinestro 43%
Too Close To Call 7%

Battle of the Week: Superman vs Sinestro

Alright, we who discuss Battle of the Weeks finally decided it was time Superman got his debut. So who did we decide on? GOKU? Wait, whats that mods? We cannot do that!? Dammit. This is hard then. Superman deserves a Battle of the Week, he never had one yet. Its hard to find a decent match up for him though. Most Marvel characters are either too hax, or too slow. DC characters either stomp or get stomp. Manga characters be cool, but some people on this site despise Manga, not to mention the whole DBZ ban thing. What ever shall we do? Well there is much discussion with the veteran debaters and HOFs, and here is the match we decided on. Who better to fight he Man of Steel in his first battle, than a rapidly popular new comer who been turning heads in the comic world with his absurd Superman like abilities. No, not Invincible. Mark would stomp haha. This is the first ever debut of the Plutonian! Nah kidding, we tried that, twice and it seems still way to hard to find a decent match for Superman. So we are resorting to a DC character, a being who regularly gives Green lantern of any kind utter hell. Sinestro himself. This is the final and last time to try a first ever Superman match, so hopefully third time is the charm.

No Caption Provided

This match will last to Saturday, and when the dust settle, we will see who is left standing. Debate on Comicvine.

Rules

• Combatants are in character.
  • This is New 52/Post Crisis Superman vs New 52/Post Crisis Sinestro, no Parralax.
  • This is a random encounter (no prep for either side) and both characters have standard gear.
  • They're fighting in a generic city setting. It takes place during the day and they start roughly 100 feet apart and visible. Everything in the city (let's say the city is the size of Manhattan and surrounded by ocean) is on limits.
  • Incapacitation, knockout, BFR (battlefield removal, which means knocking someone so far away that the fight cannot continue in the very near future) or death all count as elimination. Making a tactical retreat counts as a loss, too. "What's a tactical retreat?" It's leaving the fight with the intention of not returning to the battle in the immediate future. Going to another spot in the environment to catch your breath for a moment or two or for a tactical advantage is not a tactical retreat.
  • Treating everyone else in the debate with respect is a sign of a good debater. If you think someone's saying something that just isn't true, go ahead and stick to the facts to point out why. There's no need at all to drop insults just because you disagree with someone. This is just talking about a fictional fight, there's no need for immaturity and mudslinging about fan fic.
  • If you think the poll isn't going how it should, making an informative post about why a character is being underestimated and spreading the word is far more useful than complaining.
  • One more thing: you don't need to write an essay to have your post highlighted in Friday's article. Sometimes concise posts can be way more effective than a flood of paragraphs. Viner posts that stand out will be included at the end.
  • Votes last till late Friday, and the votes will be posted in the OP to see where combatants stand by Friday. Votes do not determine who wins, only who the majority at the time sides with.

Special thanks to @k4tzm4n for allowing me and other users to continue making these battle of the week threads.

• 
Avatar image for crushyourenemies
CRUSHYOURENEMIES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By CRUSHYOURENEMIES

All very nice arguments but you seem to be forgetting a very vital piece.

If Hal schools Sinestro on a daily, what makes you think Clark can't?

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crushyourenemies: When did this daily schooling happen? Just curious, I'm not a DC expert, especially not on the lanterns.

CRUSHYOURENEMIES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crushyourenemies: When did this daily schooling happen? Just curious, I'm not a DC expert, especially not on the lanterns.

No Caption Provided

Hal always beats him. Clark often treats constructs like toilet paper.

No Caption Provided

true, the constructs can hurt Superman but when it comes to a Superman going full tilt, he simply barrages without difficulty.

No Caption Provided

even against John's construct which can rival Hal's.

Sinestro on the other hand, simply cannot keep up with someone in Superman's tier.

No Caption Provided

Mongul flat out stomps him.

Superman has tooled him in the past.

No Caption Provided

on various occasions.

No Caption Provided

Sinestro is simply not in Superman's league and is only the threat that he is due to his schemes.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I see the scan of John Stewart attacking Superman through his eyes, I think that is some BS. Why didn't Superman use his heatvision to counter the attack of the Lantern, it seems like an obvious choice, so I think that Superman was jobbing in that scan to make Lanterns look good.

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crushyourenemies: One of the scans you posted was during the JLA first arc, that was Action Comics-Level Superman and rookie Hal, not the best comparison.

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_arrow: Superman was holding back and he didn't expect the attack from John, he wasn't jobbing.

emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By emperorthanos-  Moderator
@heirtothekingdom said:

@emperorthanos: Don't get me wrong, I agree that Lanterns are versatile, and seeing as how Sinestro is one of the top Lanterns, he falls under that, however I don't think it's enough to say he beats Superman.

Going in to what you presented, I don't think that feat of John targeting Superman's eyes is a applicable here. Sinestro simply isn't John, they may wield the same power-sets, and such, but they apply them differently. John was in the military so he was trained to battle and find weak points in his enemy, Sinestro was not. Seeing how Superman is seen as nigh invulnerable everywhere, his eyes was seen as his weak point, which I don't think Sinestro would know. John knew this because 1) He's trained in figuring out his opponents weaknesses in order to take them out and 2) he's fought alongside Superman many times so he knows all about him. Same can't be said for Sinestro, who I don't see firing a blast of energy into Superman's eyes. What makes this even more unlikely is the fact that in that occurrence Superman was trying to reason with John, so he was holding back, which is shown as he's talking to him and standing still, while John is trying to take him out. In a real encounter, neither John or Sinestro are going to tag him as easily with such a blast when he's utilising his speed.

Now for your next point, how many times has Sinestro made a construct inside of someone? That is the only time to my knowledge, and he only did it do the situation he was in when encountering him (all the issues Mongul had caused), so I don't think it's something he would apply here. Even so, Mongul may have been compared to Darkseid, but he's no where near as powerful and was taking out by Wonder Woman alongside a next character (forget who it was), so it shows he's below Superman overall. A construct inside of Superman may harm him, however he's invulnerable inside just like he is outside (which I'm not sure is the case for Mongul). I'm pretty sure Clark could just pull the construct out from within him or proceed to use heat vision or frost breath on Sinestro to cause him to lose concentration, thus making the construct cease to exist.

Sinestro is far more experienced than John when it comes to using the ring. He has been able to do things that most lanterns just can't do such as create rings. Sinestro may not be soldier but that doesn't mean he isn't combat smart. Sinestro does know how exploit weaknesses which he could still do here. SInestro has had the same kind of training to pick weaknesses and stuff. And while he doesn't know superman well, Sinestro has fought Superman or superman-esque people in the past. And yes I agree that Superman wouldn't try reasoning with Sinestro but Superman doesn't just automatically blitz people in fights.

Well firstly the feats you talked about regarding Mongul are pre 52 related. new 52 Mongul was more powerful and was similar superman. Now as to how many times he does this, I will admit it isn't often but he does use it against foes that are just too durable to take out with regular attacks. So he resorts to other methods. I don't recall Superman being invulnerable on the inside so do you mind showing that to me.

@burningmartian said:

@heirtothekingdom: IIRC the only reason Sinestro was able to fill Mongul up with Spikes like that was because Mongul was already wearing qwardian rings and Sinestro was able to gain control of them. Also, Mongul hasn't been anywhere close to Superman for the longest time, I recall an encounter where Clark danced around his blows while laughing and casually broke his hand. By extension, considering Sinestro's poor performance against Mongul, Im leaning towards Clark. (I'm holding off on a vote because Mongul was using power rings so those weren't normal circumstances for him either.)

That was in pre 52. the feat I posted just now was new 52 where Mongul didn't have a power ring at all. Those are two separate events. And in New 52 Mongul was stronger than Superman or equal to him at least, though of course new 52 superman isn't as strong as pre 52 supes. And yeah during their fight Mongul did posses rings in pre 52. Under normal circumstances I doubt he would be as much of a problem to sinestro.

emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 emperorthanos-  Moderator

@rabumalal said:

This was when both their rings where out of charge so they were fighting pure h2h like normal people and Hal was fighting him alongside Kyle rayner. Hal didn't beat him on his own he needed help.

true, the constructs can hurt Superman but when it comes to a Superman going full tilt, he simply barrages without difficulty.

This was New 52 Hal who isn't on Sinestro level. But I agree that Superman can break sinestro constucts

I don't think John's constructs are has stong as sinestro's

Sinestro on the other hand, simply cannot keep up with someone in Superman's tier.

Mongul had a power ring in their fight so he was amped, whilst he never possessed a ring on the several times he was beaten by Superman

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By Black_Arrow

@thekinfing said:

@black_arrow: Superman was holding back and he didn't expect the attack from John, he wasn't jobbing.

Well, I was just using an explanation, if he was holding back, the feat doesn't count either because in a real fight he won't hold back like that and can counter that kind of attack easily.

Avatar image for heirtothekingdom
HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vertigo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Vertigo-
Vertigo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krleavenger: Well, I still haven't given a call either way really. I still think this match is extremely close either way

Avatar image for deactivated-60fae469e992f
deactivated-60fae469e992f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does Sinestro know about Kryptonite? Sinestro should be able to duplicate the Kryptonite radiation if he is aware of it

CRUSHYOURENEMIES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crushyourenemies said:
@rabumalal said:

This was when both their rings where out of charge so they were fighting pure h2h like normal people and Hal was fighting him alongside Kyle rayner. Hal didn't beat him on his own he needed help.

This was New 52 Hal who isn't on Sinestro level. But I agree that Superman can break sinestro constucts

I don't think John's constructs are has stong as sinestro's

Mongul had a power ring in their fight so he was amped, whilst he never possessed a ring on the several times he was beaten by Superman

John's constructs have been more impressive than Hal's on multiple occasions. There is nothing that tells us that Sinestro's shields will stand up to one of his blows.

Mongul had a power ring which did not increase his speed. That's the point I'm making. Mongul is very well capable of landing blows on Sinestro on a whim. Superman's speed is well beyond that. There is absolutely zero chance that Sinestro can even hope of maneuvering him long enough to form a cohesive strategy against him.

People throw around the word versatility like it actually gives a character an auto win.

Sidious is FAR more versatile than a character like Ganthet. Doesn't mean he stands a chance since his power in some areas completely trump anything he could do.

Clark would have no problem blitzing a character like Sinestro.

HitTheAssasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awaken Supertards!Awaken the fanboyism that allows you to seriously claim Superman still beats Goku!Come forth!!

Avatar image for christianrapper
christianrapper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this is getting silly. when has sinestro ever been close to superman level.

HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emperorthanos:

Sinestro is far more experienced than John when it comes to using the ring. He has been able to do things that most lanterns just can't do such as create rings. Sinestro may not be soldier but that doesn't mean he isn't combat smart. Sinestro does know how exploit weaknesses which he could still do here. SInestro has had the same kind of training to pick weaknesses and stuff. And while he doesn't know superman well, Sinestro has fought Superman or superman-esque people in the past. And yes I agree that Superman wouldn't try reasoning with Sinestro but Superman doesn't just automatically blitz people in fights.

He has never done things like attacking someone's eyes like I showed above, and though he may be tactically great like John or even more experienced, he doesn't fight the same. All the Lanterns have strength's that set them apart in battle. That just happens to be John's. We can't take what John has done and apply it to Sinestro just because he's more powerful. That's like saying Superman will do something Supergirl will do because he's more powerful, when really you have to take in how they fight.

Well firstly the feats you talked about regarding Mongul are pre 52 related. new 52 Mongul was more powerful and was similar superman.

New 52 Mongul was also defeated by Wonder Woman, not knocked out, but incapacitated in her ropes alongside Non. He's powerful, but not as much as you may think. I don't see anything that puts him much above his Pre-52 incarnation.

Now as to how many times he does this, I will admit it isn't often but he does use it against foes that are just too durable to take out with regular attacks. So he resorts to other methods. I don't recall Superman being invulnerable on the inside so do you mind showing that to me.

I can't remember when it was shown, but regardless if Mongul could do it, Superman can too as he's superior to him in every way. I think it's more necessary to show him using it outside of this one occurrence so it can be proven it's what could happen in this battle. I don't think him using it once is enough.

Avatar image for thenaughtytitan
TheNaughtyTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By TheNaughtyTitan

Sinestro beat Kyle Rayner in a fist fight. Kyle Rayner was trained by Batman. I think you know what that means.

Gamingod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Many a time, superman has been called the most powerful being on the planet so that's saying something.

Superman is stronger, faster and more durable than sinestro

Supes can easily break his constructs, dodge/tank his blast and smash him to oblivion.

Gamingod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thenaughtytitan

mongul beat sinestro and superman beats mongul. You know what that means

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@hittheassasin: What exactly is your point when bringing up Superman vs Goku, kid?

Start an immature flame war?

HitTheAssasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83  Edited By HitTheAssasin
Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Noone1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sinestro wins.

HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By HeirToTheKingdom

@krleavenger: The reason I didn't respond yet is because I am on my phone, but I guess I'll just do it from here.

COUNTERS:

1) Defensive Capabilities: In regards to defensive capabilities you brought up for Sinestro, they are impressive, but it shows nothing to say Superman isn't getting through I mean. You can't use Sinestro's constructs tanking blasts of energy and comparing it to Superman's blows, especially since Lanterns have always done better against the former. I mean really, Black Adam has destroyed Alan Scott's constructs, and he's of the same level as Superman, while Alan is above Sinestro. Atroticus hasn't had much difficulty breaking through not only Sinestro's constructs, but Hal's too and he's physically weaker than Clark. Point being made, those constructs aren't taking Clark's blows just because they pack enough fire power to make Clark grunt in pain. It wasn't as if it did a whole lot, so it would be better to see a feat which shows Sinestro's constructs taking severe physical punishment on the level Clark Posesses. I think you will be hard pressed on doing this which is why you only used it stacking up against energy blasts. Most times when those Constructs meet someone with Superman's physicals, they falter.

2) Damage Output: I don't think it was ever in question if Sinestro could harm Clark, because it's pretty clear he can. The main arguement I was bringing up was is he capable of harming him enough to knock him out before Superman does the same to him, which I don't think he can. I mean really, Superman is a tank can take plenty of punishment, and seeing as how this is New/Pre-52 version, I could apply his recent durability showings against Doomsday where he was currently taking plenty of blows from Doomsday. If you want showings against energy projection, there has been a good amount of times when he's shrugged off energy blasts from Lanterns, or blasts from the Eradicator, or Orion's Astro Force or Darkseid's Omega Beam, which are all on par with Sinestro's damage output or above. I mean the showings you presented of him taking out Lanterns isn't all that impressive because well they don't share the durability Superman has (without force-fields or constructs). Only one worth mentioning was Lobo, and though he was bleeding, he seemed relatively okay after Sinestro's attacks. Keep in mind Superman is much faster than Lobo, so he likely wouldn't even be tagged by that in the first place.

3) Constructs: I'm not too sure where you got all of the corps from or I may be missing out on additional context, but from what I see I only witness a little more than half a dozen Lanterns. No where close to 7200. It's an impressive feat because he's combating Kilowog and that orange guy (forgot his name) who aren't fodder Lanterns, however all he seemed to do was hold them off, not overpower or anything like that. I don't think Superman is going to have much trouble if Sinestro brings out the numbers strategy because he's insanely fast and could just blitz the constructs very quickly or unleash a rapid fire hear vision as he's shown in the New 52 to take them out. As for the the durability of the constructs I already went over that, and fact of the matter you already showed Lobo being capable of destroying them, even so by striking Sinestro with one, and Superman has strength on his level. As for the the final part you brought of the encounter between Diana and Sinestro, I'm gonna say you're missing some context there, minor but it's there. Diana was trying to get Sinestro to move the battle away from the city to stop him from harming civilians, she asked him and he struck her mid-sentence. Hardly a fair shot, which would have been dodged or blocked of counter had she been prepared for such a blow. I mean I know, Sinestro is fast, but he wouldn't get Diana like that if she was on guard, especially since she was worrying more about the civilians then herself. I'm not sure why you brought up that whole Bruce Lee, Usain Bolt dialogue when fact of the matter is Sinestro caught an unprepared Diana who was trying to reason with him with a construct. Even if Diana is faster than Superman reaction wise, it wouldn't matter because he still is faster than Sinestro.

4) Sinestro Versality/More: You do realize Versality doesn't win you a battle every time, right? If that were the case, brick characters like Hulk or Thing would never win fights, and a contrary to what you believe, Superman is quite versatile. All of his abilities may not all be offensive like Sinestro, but they are still there. I'm still waiting on when Sinestro has heavily damaged a Superman level being, because Lobo was fine and dandy after that assault. Your probably going to bring up the blood, but Lobo bleeds a lot in his comics, and he's always been subtle to piecing attacks which Sinestro applied to him. Lobo practically got up back from everything Sinestro threw his way. I already went over his constructs aren't stopping Superman like you think because characters as strong as Clark or physically weaker have destroyed them, not to mention Clark is faster than Sinestro (nano second reaction speed and has reacted to light itself). So I find it likely he's going to dodge most thing Sinestro throws his way and blitz him with his overwhelming physicals while combinding it with his heat vision.

5) Superman's speed: I already debunked that Sinestro/Diana encounter above. As for Hal and Sinestro fighting at light speeds of above, Superman did that in his encounter with Doomsday and Bizzaro. It's impressive, but it's a feat of speed Superman shows more consistently. Can you show Sinestro fighting at those speeds as consistent, because Superman has been shown to react to light and in nano seconds on more than one occasion. Not to mention if you compare the two characters, reaction/combat speed wise Superman seems more impressive.

6) Superman damage output: Yeah, Superman will be able to destroy Sinestro's constructs, and I don't think it's going to take that much time. I know John isn't Sinestro, but he had his construct (which was made to contain Superman) blown a big whole through in one punch when Superman unleashed all his strength. Sinestro isn't that much above John, so you should see where I'm coming from. The fact that Aroticus wasn't having much time destroying his and Hal's constructs even without his ring, just goes to show that Superman can do the same. As I shown, Lobo was able to break them too. Also Superman can multi-task, he break the construct while using frost breath on Sinestro so he can't move whiles he's doing so. It's not as if he hasn't multi-tasked in similar ways many times before.

7) Superman's invulnerability: Sinesto one-shotted a Red Lantern who doesn't hold a candle to Clark, beat up Carol who doesn't hold a candle to Clark, took out Kyle in what I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) his rookie days, and the rest aren't worth mention because I either don't get it or the context isn't know to me. He didn't take out Kyle, he's shown in the last scan still conscious, which isn't impressive at all because Lanterns without their aura or constructs aren't all that impressive durability wise. As for destroying the Star Saphire crystal, how durable is that thing? All of these feats if you really look at it aren't enough to say he's taking Clark out, while Clark has been beating down by characters like Mongul, Doomsday, Darkseid, other Kryptonians, and more which are all characters who Posesses tremendous power. It doesn't hut that he's done the same vice versa to them to show his damage output. You make it seem as if Clark is going to fall easy to Sinestro, when in reality he's fast enough to dodge a lot of what he throws at him or pretty much tank it though it will obviously hurt him. Superman can take damage better and deliver it faster than Sinestro can vice versa, and that's what it really comes down to in this fight.

8) It seems you replied again so I'll just counter that post too. I was not trying to use ABC logic, but it's just pretty much common sense. If Mongul who is physically imposing to Superman is capable of doing something to Sinestro physically, wouldn't Clark be capable of doing the same? Regardless if he was amped or not, he was relying on his brute strength in that occurance, which I touched upon. I spoke strictly of his durability and physical strength, which Superman has him beat in both, so why not apply that here? As for using Sinestro > Hal > Superman, that's baseless and different all together seeing as how it hasn't been proven, not to mention it doesn't have anything to do with what I brought up. At best you can say Sinestro is above Hal because they forgive, but Superman he has not, so it's speculation as is this whole battle of the week thing. As for your arguments, I think I had them beat without the use of scans, so if you want to proceed from here, we can can continue on.

Gamingod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Gamingod

Shut up krleavenger, you hardly ever say superman wins vs any opponent on his level, i have noticed that.

@heirtothekingdom destroyed all your arguments and showed you why superman wins, and his arguments are 100% accurate. Heck i dont see any gl beating a serious superman.

Even a toddler knows superman casually smashes all his constructs, same constructs you are trying to tell us can hold supes, Characters on par or weaker than superman can smash those constructs and somehow frikking SUPERMAN( the benchmark for superstrenght) cant?

Superman is stronger, faster, has more durabily, More everything. The only thing sinestro can do better is use energy blast and be very versatile with his constructs, but those blast would either get dodged of just outright tanked and those constructs would get smashed by a casual punch.

Supes beats sinestro 10/10 if he's serious. Anyone with brains knows this.

Gamingod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Gamingod

krleavenger you are a joke of a poster

oh and supes wins, so cry more

AdamAmeen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sinestro wins

Amendment50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The arguments for Supes are clearly better here imo.

Gamingod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@amendments50

the arguments for supes are better because superman is clearly superior, there are some people who would vote against him just because he's superman and they want him to lose, even though they know superman would win.

Sinestro would get stomped if he decides to go fist fight with superman and his long range attacks would either get dodged due to superspeed, get smashed due to superstrenght or tanked due to supermhuman durability.

I just dont see beings like sinestro beating a superman who is fighting and utilizing his powers to maximum.

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By TheKinfing

I didn't knew Lanterns where this underrated on the vine, people acting like if Clark is leagues above Sinestro...

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Always felt that Superman and other powerhouses of his level can take out Lanterns whether it be Hal, John or Sinestro. I can't be the only one who feels this way, especially since many times when a construct is put up against Clark's physical might, it's utterly destroyed.

I'll back Superman here.

You aren't the only one that feels this way. I've never been too terribly impressed with any of the Lanterns save for a few occasions.

Only thing that makes this debatable to me is that Superman is in character. That's his biggest weakness.

Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Supes could take a decently skilled Lantern, but Sinestro's out of his league.