Battle of the Week: Superman vs Sinestro

• 111 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SirFizzWhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Poll Battle of the Week: Superman vs Sinestro (134 votes)

Superman 49%
Sinestro 44%
Too Close To Call 7%

Battle of the Week: Superman vs Sinestro

Alright, we who discuss Battle of the Weeks finally decided it was time Superman got his debut. So who did we decide on? GOKU? Wait, whats that mods? We cannot do that!? Dammit. This is hard then. Superman deserves a Battle of the Week, he never had one yet. Its hard to find a decent match up for him though. Most Marvel characters are either too hax, or too slow. DC characters either stomp or get stomp. Manga characters be cool, but some people on this site despise Manga, not to mention the whole DBZ ban thing. What ever shall we do? Well there is much discussion with the veteran debaters and HOFs, and here is the match we decided on. Who better to fight he Man of Steel in his first battle, than a rapidly popular new comer who been turning heads in the comic world with his absurd Superman like abilities. No, not Invincible. Mark would stomp haha. This is the first ever debut of the Plutonian! Nah kidding, we tried that, twice and it seems still way to hard to find a decent match for Superman. So we are resorting to a DC character, a being who regularly gives Green lantern of any kind utter hell. Sinestro himself. This is the final and last time to try a first ever Superman match, so hopefully third time is the charm.

No Caption Provided

This match will last to Saturday, and when the dust settle, we will see who is left standing. Debate on Comicvine.

Rules

• Combatants are in character.
  • This is New 52/Post Crisis Superman vs New 52/Post Crisis Sinestro, no Parralax.
  • This is a random encounter (no prep for either side) and both characters have standard gear.
  • They're fighting in a generic city setting. It takes place during the day and they start roughly 100 feet apart and visible. Everything in the city (let's say the city is the size of Manhattan and surrounded by ocean) is on limits.
  • Incapacitation, knockout, BFR (battlefield removal, which means knocking someone so far away that the fight cannot continue in the very near future) or death all count as elimination. Making a tactical retreat counts as a loss, too. "What's a tactical retreat?" It's leaving the fight with the intention of not returning to the battle in the immediate future. Going to another spot in the environment to catch your breath for a moment or two or for a tactical advantage is not a tactical retreat.
  • Treating everyone else in the debate with respect is a sign of a good debater. If you think someone's saying something that just isn't true, go ahead and stick to the facts to point out why. There's no need at all to drop insults just because you disagree with someone. This is just talking about a fictional fight, there's no need for immaturity and mudslinging about fan fic.
  • If you think the poll isn't going how it should, making an informative post about why a character is being underestimated and spreading the word is far more useful than complaining.
  • One more thing: you don't need to write an essay to have your post highlighted in Friday's article. Sometimes concise posts can be way more effective than a flood of paragraphs. Viner posts that stand out will be included at the end.
  • Votes last till late Friday, and the votes will be posted in the OP to see where combatants stand by Friday. Votes do not determine who wins, only who the majority at the time sides with.

Special thanks to @k4tzm4n for allowing me and other users to continue making these battle of the week threads.

• 
SirFizzWhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@highaccuser: @ghostravage: @the_man_with_questions: @giliad_: @black_arrow: @lubub55: @acrokat:

It is very important for us in the PM and Suggestion threads to get a decent Superman battle. Problem as specified in OP that its damn near impossible without a stomp one way or the other.

This is the final time to change the OP, and whatever the results are are staying as they are. Take the time to consider the battle, and vote.

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sinestro decisively.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d86fd79c2e73
deactivated-5d86fd79c2e73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I think sinsestro is too good with the ring.

Avatar image for flashoftommorow
FlashofTommorow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Supes could take a decently skilled Lantern, but Sinestro's out of his league.

Avatar image for the_man_with_questions
The_Man_With_Questions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not to sure what Sinestro feats look like. I don't think he has the combat speed to keep up with Clark, and Clark has smashed constructs made by John Stewart before.

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I need feats on Sinestro before I say anything.

Amendment50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am curious to hear people's reasoning for Sinestro here.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_man_with_questions: Sinestro blitzed Kyle Rayner who could easily catch photons, he's quick enough and I'm sure his constructs are stronger than John's.

The_Man_With_Questions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@acrokat said:

@the_man_with_questions: Sinestro blitzed Kyle Rayner who could easily catch photons, he's quick enough and I'm sure his constructs are stronger than John's.

Eh. I don't recall this feat.

Also, hasn't Lobo broken Sinestro's constructs before? From what I understand, him and Clark are basically physical equals.

The_Man_With_Questions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger you seem to know a lot about both Clark and Sinestro. Thoughts?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_man_with_questions: Lobo has broken his constructs but at the same time did nothing to actually hurt Sinestro and got blasted away from what I remember.

emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not to sure what Sinestro feats look like. I don't think he has the combat speed to keep up with Clark, and Clark has smashed constructs made by John Stewart before.

He most definitely has the combat speed. He has kept up with Hal on a multiple occasions who has FTL combat

But yes Clark can break his constucts.

The_Man_With_Questions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emperorthanos said:

@the_man_with_questions said:

He most definitely has the combat speed. He has kept up with Hal on a multiple occasions who has FTL combat

When did Sinestro display FTL combat speed? Can I get a scan? No doubting you. I just don't recall Sinestro fighting FTL.

emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By emperorthanos-

@emperorthanos said:

When did Sinestro display FTL combat speed? Can I get a scan? No doubting you. I just don't recall Sinestro fighting FTL.

Here.

He and Hal fight each other from the moon to Saturn. That is FTL

The_Man_With_Questions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emperorthanos said:

Here.

He and Hal fight each other from the moon to Saturn. That is FTL

TBH? It looks like both are just flying really fast, and then trading a few blows when they get the time. Not actual FTL combat, or super fast combat like this...

No Caption Provided

emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_man_with_questions: they were clearly fighting each other all the way there. Why would they just fly to the Saturn really fast and then fight. I'm not saying Sinestro is faster than Superman but he can definitely match him in combat speed. the feat you posted above doesn't seem like FTl speeds to me though.

The_Man_With_Questions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emperorthanos: Nothing in those scans indicated that they were fighting fast though. Like I said, it looks like they were just flying fast and trading a few blows here and there.

I also never said that that feat was FTL. I said super fast combat.

emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_man_with_questions: The way the beams clashes like that and how they where fighting right after would suggest he can react at such speeds.

Yeah my bad your right. Sinestro probably couldn't fight like that with bare hands but through his constructs he could Hal did something similar. Though not at the same speeds.

No Caption Provided

The_Man_With_Questions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emperorthanos: Fair enough. I didn't like the way the fight was drawn. It looked weird. Like Hal and Sinestro were doing some type of synchronize dance. Made it hard to understand in some of the panels.

depinhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

Why would Supes lose?

Avatar image for heirtothekingdom
HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HeirToTheKingdom

Always felt that Superman and other powerhouses of his level can take out Lanterns whether it be Hal, John or Sinestro. I can't be the only one who feels this way, especially since many times when a construct is put up against Clark's physical might, it's utterly destroyed.

I just think that in this encounter, Sinestro may have Superman where he wants him at the start of the battle, however as Superman begins to hold back less, he'll put Sinestro on the defensive. Clark will be destroying construct after construct, whether it be from a single blow or more, and eventually Sinestro will be in his reach. Also yes, I'm aware Lanterns have more to them than just constructs like energy projection, however I do think Superman can avoid them with his insane speed or flat out tank them (though it will obviously hurt him).

I'll back Superman here.

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sinestro.

emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By emperorthanos-

@heirtothekingdom: Sinestro can do other things from just blasting Superman . While Superman could probably tank most of his attacks. Sinestro can target weak spots or attack him other ways

Like here when John Stewart took out superman by specifically targeting his eyes.

Or something like this. Here Sinestro makes a construct inside of Mongul. New 52 Mongul was a tank and comparable to Darkseid according to superman. So Sinestro found other ways of harming him. (Note Mongul had technology to drain power rings which saved him, Superman wouldn't have something like that.)

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emperorthanos: To be fair, on the instance with John during Rebirth, Superman was holding back, and John was not, also wheren't those constructs made of kryptonite or something among those lines?

emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emperorthanos: To be fair, on the instance with John during Rebirth, Superman was holding back, and John was not, also wheren't those constructs made of kryptonite or something among those lines?

I agree but that doesn't change the fact that Sinestro could target his eyes like John did. And no they weren't made of Kryptonite, it was just regular green lantern energy.

LilTWill2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sinestro, I'll explain later

Avatar image for deactivated-5da8e253e9df8
deactivated-5da8e253e9df8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@undefined:

While Sinestro wields a powerful weapon, Superman is a powerful weapon.

Superman wins the majority

SirFizzWhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Polls are tied! Arguments abound! I'm loving this.

IceDemonKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman in a good fight i think he could tank a fair amount of sinestro's attacks(not all though) and he should be(not saying he is) faster than sinestro as well as stronger. IMO the problem with sinestro is that he is a extremely skilled and creative lantern who iirc is great at thinking on his feet it is possible that he could give clarcky boy a run for his money if he had any.

HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emperorthanos: Don't get me wrong, I agree that Lanterns are versatile, and seeing as how Sinestro is one of the top Lanterns, he falls under that, however I don't think it's enough to say he beats Superman.

Going in to what you presented, I don't think that feat of John targeting Superman's eyes is a applicable here. Sinestro simply isn't John, they may wield the same power-sets, and such, but they apply them differently. John was in the military so he was trained to battle and find weak points in his enemy, Sinestro was not. Seeing how Superman is seen as nigh invulnerable everywhere, his eyes was seen as his weak point, which I don't think Sinestro would know. John knew this because 1) He's trained in figuring out his opponents weaknesses in order to take them out and 2) he's fought alongside Superman many times so he knows all about him. Same can't be said for Sinestro, who I don't see firing a blast of energy into Superman's eyes. What makes this even more unlikely is the fact that in that occurrence Superman was trying to reason with John, so he was holding back, which is shown as he's talking to him and standing still, while John is trying to take him out. In a real encounter, neither John or Sinestro are going to tag him as easily with such a blast when he's utilising his speed.

Now for your next point, how many times has Sinestro made a construct inside of someone? That is the only time to my knowledge, and he only did it do the situation he was in when encountering him (all the issues Mongul had caused), so I don't think it's something he would apply here. Even so, Mongul may have been compared to Darkseid, but he's no where near as powerful and was taking out by Wonder Woman alongside a next character (forget who it was), so it shows he's below Superman overall. A construct inside of Superman may harm him, however he's invulnerable inside just like he is outside (which I'm not sure is the case for Mongul). I'm pretty sure Clark could just pull the construct out from within him or proceed to use heat vision or frost breath on Sinestro to cause him to lose concentration, thus making the construct cease to exist.

The_Man_With_Questions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IDK. Kind of want to see want Lvenger says. Still tempted to say Clark wins, but eh...

BurningMartian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@heirtothekingdom: IIRC the only reason Sinestro was able to fill Mongul up with Spikes like that was because Mongul was already wearing qwardian rings and Sinestro was able to gain control of them. Also, Mongul hasn't been anywhere close to Superman for the longest time, I recall an encounter where Clark danced around his blows while laughing and casually broke his hand. By extension, considering Sinestro's poor performance against Mongul, Im leaning towards Clark. (I'm holding off on a vote because Mongul was using power rings so those weren't normal circumstances for him either.)

Amendment50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay yeah, I'm convinced about my initial inclination now. Voting for Supes.

GIliad_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I debate GL vs Superman battles frequently. I think it's easy to say that Green Lantern types could defeat Superman because of their blasting power, shielding and versatility however there is on panel evidence to the contrary when weaker beings have walked through constructs and Superman himself has shattered them repeatedly. It's also important to note that Superman varies heavily depending on the writer and as of yet there have been multiple post-crisis incarnations that quite clearly hold him above a GL's (even Jordan or Rayner) pay grade. With that said I would be narrowly inclined to take Clark for a 5.1/10 advantage, realistically I'd like to call this a dead stalemate as I think it's simply to variable.

GIliad_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@giliad_: Thanks for the tag, I'll put my thoughts down in a bit.

Costy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

g2_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Superman.

HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@burningmartian: Thanks for the info, that makes more sense as Lanterns have never truly been capable of just creating constructs from writhing someone like that to my knowledge. Seeing as how Clark doesn't wield a Lantern ring, he has nothing to worry about in that regard.

As for Mongul I was kind of giving him the benefit of the doubt because I was trying to find a consistent level for him. He is powerful, it's often Superman defeats him relying on his superior speed. Though, I do think that EmperorThanos relying on Mongul's encounter against Sinestro to see how Superman would do is wrong, because Superman is superior to him at every stat and has more going for him.

HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krleavenger: Not trying to pick you out or anything like that, but why don't you prove that?

HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krleavenger: I want to know why you put them both above Superman.

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheKinfing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers