Battle of the Week: Stephanie Brown vs X

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By tparks  Online

Poll Battle of the Week: Stephanie Brown vs X (45 votes)

Spoiler 42%
X 47%
Too close to call 11%
No Caption Provided

Back to street level for this week's battle. We have Batman's former Robin, a former Batgirl, and now currently back under the alias of Spoiler, Stephanie Brown. She is taking on Darkhorse's most brutal vigilante, X! Will X leave his mark on Spoiler? You decide!

• X is composite from classic stories and the reboot
  • Spoiler is Rebirth (Post-Crisis, New 52, and Rebirth)
  • Combatants are in character.
  • This is a random encounter (no prep for either side) and both characters have standard gear.
  • They're fighting in a generic city setting. It takes place during the day and they start roughly 100 feet apart and visible. Everything in the city (let's say the city is the size of Manhattan and surrounded by ocean) is on limits.
  • Incapacitation, knockout, BFR (battlefield removal, which means knocking someone so far away that the fight cannot continue in the very near future) or death all count as elimination. Making a tactical retreat counts as a loss, too. "What's a tactical retreat?" It's leaving the fight with the intention of not returning to the battle in the immediate future. Going to another spot in the environment to catch your breath for a moment or two or for a tactical advantage is not a tactical retreat.
  • Treating everyone else in the debate with respect is a sign of a good debater. If you think someone's saying something that just isn't true, go ahead and stick to the facts to point out why. There's no need at all to drop insults just because you disagree with someone. This is just talking about a fictional fight, there's no need for immaturity and mudslinging about fan fic.
  • If you think the poll isn't going how it should, making an informative post about why a character is being underestimated and spreading the word is far more useful than complaining.
  • One more thing: you don't need to write an essay to have your post highlighted in Friday's article. Sometimes concise posts can be way more effective than a flood of paragraphs. Viner posts that stand out will be included at the end.
  • Votes last till late Friday, and the votes will be posted in the OP to see where combatants stand by Friday. Votes do not determine who wins, only who the majority at the time sides with.

Special thanks to @k4tzm4n for allowing us to continue making these battle of the week threads

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-5ebcd5ad9fb95
deactivated-5ebcd5ad9fb95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

X would win.

Warlockmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 3

yup X lol stomps... faster, stronger, and more skilled.

coming from a Stephanie Brown fan.

@ghostravage this is for you buddy.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

yup X lol stomps... faster, stronger, and more skilled.

coming from a Stephanie Brown fan.

@ghostravage this is for you buddy.

Can't wait to see Ghost's arguments for X.

Warlockmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: me either... because i know for a fact Stephanie doesn't match up. Jason Todd or Tim Drake would have been a better choice for someone like X. at the very least they could have given Steph her batgirl gear making her more versatile and far far more durable but without that tech shes Damian level at best.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@warlockmage: Personally I would have gone with Tim over Stephanie, he has more skill and intelligence showings.

Warlockmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@warlockmage: Personally I would have gone with Tim over Stephanie, he has more skill and intelligence showings.

aye that he does... he fights the smartest its why i like him.

I can still hope one day Tim will get his own 1 on 1 match.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@warlockmage: I meant to say Tim over Jason, Jason might be considered too skilled and ruthless for X to beat.

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Sy8000

Isn't X not even close to Damian's level?

king_majestros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I appreciate the tag, but I chose Too Close to Call since I don't know much about these characters.

Nima_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't X not even close to Damian's level?

That's what I thought too...

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bc0cd36084
deactivated-5d6bc0cd36084

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

GhostRavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@lvenger: I'm making a case tomorrow.

@warlockmage:You. Play devil's advocate. I want to debate. I also don't think this match is as lopsided as you think.

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steph wins without much trouble from what I've seen. X's only real edges are healing, bullet timing feats and maybe certain stat edges. I don't think he actually has combat showings like beating Catwoman, Huntress and Man-Bat (Langstrom, not the fodder bats). I've read her Batgirl run so maybe I'll drop a longer post later, I think she was around Damian's level Pre-New 52.

Warlockmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steph wins without much trouble from what I've seen. X's only real edges are healing, bullet timing feats and maybe certain stat edges. I don't think he actually has combat showings like beating Catwoman, Huntress and Man-Bat (Langstrom, not the fodder bats). I've read her Batgirl run so maybe I'll drop a longer post later, I think she was around Damian's level Pre-New 52.

you gonna mention they were mind controlled and not nerely fighting to the best of their ability or gonna leave that convenient bit out (because its kind of important we mention that stuff)... another factor is that she had her batsuit which is much much more durable than her spoiler outfit.

SPYDA-MAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If somebody posts somethings about the Stephanie brown character can somebody tag me so I have some knowledge on her character. please and thank you.

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@warlockmage: Being mind controlled doesn't always mean being hindered and she didn't take many hits so I don't see how durability would've mattered.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally read all those feats for both characters. I'm leaning towards Steph, X is very formidable, and he obviously has a morals advantage, but Batgirl has some pretty awesome gear, which is kinda overpowered. Nothing X showed placed him as a phenomenal marksman, only a good one. Steph should be capable of hitting him with that variety of batarangs she has.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#20 owie  Moderator

I'm not super familiar with Stephanie, and not at all with X, but after looking at those threads, I can see why this match makes sense.

Stephanie seems to be a pretty good fighter, she has some good moves. But there's nothing in there that's amazing. Most of her better wins come from her gear, which is definitely good. The gloop, electrical, magnetic, and ice batarangs could be very effective here. She might be able to pull his weapons away with the magnets.

X obviously is willing to go much more all-out in a fight. It's hard to say if he's actually more skilled, I would lean towards not, but he's clearly stronger and probably faster, although not necessarily as agile. But with his strength and his healing factor/durability, I'd say he would win a purely H2H fight.

But, her gear is clearly better than his, and she's got solid aim. And she throws them from pretty close, not just a distance. The main thing is, her gear is mostly based on incap, not damage, so his healing factor doesn't really help him. He has to dodge. And he has some good bullet dodging feats, but I am guessing not enough to dodge everything she's tossing out. So I'd say she has a reasonable chance of winning a majority due to gear. X would certainly win some though.

emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 emperorthanos-  Moderator

Well this has been a dead BOTW.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 tparks  Online

I'll try to leave a more detailed post tonight on my knowledge of both characters and who I think would win to try to spark some conversation.

For now though, I will say I voted for Steph, but I do think it could go either way. Both have some nice advantages over the other, which Owie did a good job of pointing out.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jashro44

@lvenger said:

aye that he does... he fights the smartest its why i like him.

I can still hope one day Tim will get his own 1 on 1 match.

I suggested Tim many months ago when we were discussing an opponent for X. Multiple people including ghostravage IIRC (can't remember if he said that for sure) said Tim would stomp which is why we went with Steph.

@owie said:

I'm not super familiar with Stephanie, and not at all with X, but after looking at those threads, I can see why this match makes sense.

Stephanie seems to be a pretty good fighter, she has some good moves. But there's nothing in there that's amazing. Most of her better wins come from her gear, which is definitely good. The gloop, electrical, magnetic, and ice batarangs could be very effective here. She might be able to pull his weapons away with the magnets.

X obviously is willing to go much more all-out in a fight. It's hard to say if he's actually more skilled, I would lean towards not, but he's clearly stronger and probably faster, although not necessarily as agile. But with his strength and his healing factor/durability, I'd say he would win a purely H2H fight.

But, her gear is clearly better than his, and she's got solid aim. And she throws them from pretty close, not just a distance. The main thing is, her gear is mostly based on incap, not damage, so his healing factor doesn't really help him. He has to dodge. And he has some good bullet dodging feats, but I am guessing not enough to dodge everything she's tossing out. So I'd say she has a reasonable chance of winning a majority due to gear. X would certainly win some though.

Finally read all those feats for both characters. I'm leaning towards Steph, X is very formidable, and he obviously has a morals advantage, but Batgirl has some pretty awesome gear, which is kinda overpowered. Nothing X showed placed him as a phenomenal marksman, only a good one. Steph should be capable of hitting him with that variety of batarangs she has.

I'm sure @ghostravage has some words for you two.

Primez0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought this was an April fools joke

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad GR demanded this thread then ignores it all week.......

LordWhiskers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If anything when he does it'll be just like the Red Hood vs. DD thread.

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By AllStarSuperman

@lordwhiskers: Dude are you someone's alt or something? You keep stalking me and commenting what you think is clever under a bunch of my posts. I don't know you, go away nerd.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 tparks  Online

I thought this was an April fools joke

No. The April Fools joke was Superman vs Goku. Lol

Primez0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tparks: Wait...I thought that was serious! Where am I going to get the salt for all this popcorn I brought now?

Warlockmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Warlockmage

Glad to see allstarsuperman is keeping it professional as usual...

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad to see allstarsuperman is keeping it professional as usual...

Come up with your own joke.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 tparks  Online

@tparks: Wait...I thought that was serious! Where am I going to get the salt for all this popcorn I brought now?

Lol. I want this to somehow be comment of the week

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#34 owie  Moderator

@jashro44 said:

@owie said:

@allstarsuperman said:

I'm sure @ghostravage has some words for you two.

Since his CAV didn't get finished, it could be that he was saving his best scans for the end, and thus we (well, I) don't know X's best stuff, which would change the game.

senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman: The sad part is that you could not win a debate of Thunder Tits vs Daredevil, and you are still smarting from it.

Avatar image for blackpantherisb
blackpantherisb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I voted against Steph just because I hate her. What a stain on the Robin legacy.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys just focus on the topic.

senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Stephanie uses incapacitation as a substitute for experienced combat skills. The tools she does use would not hold X long given the weird Healing Factor he has.

If she has restraints that can hols a low tier metahuman, I would give her the edge. Or more likely too close to call.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By tparks  Online

Ok, I don't have a lot of time, but let's start a conversation.

X is a pretty awesome character. Out of all of the Project Superpowers revival that Darkhorse did, X was definitely the most interesting to me.

His biggest edge, and it's a huge one, is that he heals.

No Caption Provided

He can be stabbed through the chest, and pull the sword out and use it to fight. This type of damage soak and healing factor makes it seem like X should be too much for a character like Steph.

But, X is still human, and as tough as he is, and as difficult to put down as he is, it's far from impossible. Even the scene from above, that shows off just how impressive his regenerative capabilities are, he still ends up being beaten in the end.

So do I think Stephanie is going to be physically taking down X very easily? Not at all. Do I think she can win? Yes.

As mentioned above, Steph does have gear for incapacitating that bypasses X's healing factor. We've seen he is capable of being put down, so her gear can work.

But I also think Stephanie has improved some since Rebirth has started. The training that Batman and Batwoman have put Spoiler and the rest of the team through has been quite grueling. How grueling?

Detective Comics 935
Detective Comics 935

How about fighting armies of Batman's toughest rogues for hours on end.

Detective Comics 935
Detective Comics 935

The mud room uses Clayfaces abilities to create real life training scenarios with real threats, like an army of Jokers. As seen here, Spoiler is still outclassed by the rest of the team, and Orphan steps in to protect her, but the progression the team shows is evident through out all of Rebirth, and I do not believe Steph is an exception.

As Batwoman points out, she is quite capable of high levels of the skill associated with Batman characters, her physical performance just hasn't been up to snuff.

Detective Comics 935
Detective Comics 935

You have to remember that a long time has passed since the very first day of training as shown in this issue (Detective Comics 935). She has had a lot of time to build up this muscle by working out for hours on end in the mud room, while at the same time honing her skills even further.

There have been several moments of the Detective Comics team mentioning their improvements since the mud room training has began. Even Clayface considers himself somewhat of a martial artist now.

I know all of this training isn't really a feat, but I just wanted to point out that Steph's biggest disadvantage in this fight against X; physicals, isn't quite as big as it used to be. Even before training, she could fight an army of Jokers for 3 hours straight. I don't think a fight with X is ever going to be as grueling as fighting an army of Jokers, let alone fighting for 3 hours, which won't happen, no matter who wins. And this was all before she pushed her training into the next gear.

So I think she has the skill to fight off X, and while she may not be physically as impressive as him, she has enough physicals to keep in this fight for a long time, and better physicals then she's ever had (maybe not purely by feats, but by the current story). The way she could win, is with gear.

As seen in the links in my previous post, she does have some impressive gear. Here's a few more additions since Rebirth:

A net strong enough to hold back hundreds of people at once:

Detective Comics 941
Detective Comics 941

Her staff is still capable of electric shocks:

Detective Comics 941
Detective Comics 941

Knockout Gas:

Detective Comics 947
Detective Comics 947

These gadgets, along with her skill, are the biggest reasons I voted for her.

I know this was a Stephanie heavy post and not as neutral as I was planning, but I'm hoping @ghostravage will drop a post for X instead of me. I'd have to dig more through my X comics to remember a lot of it, and he would likely do him better justice anyways.

Battle forums, there's still time left! I know these characters aren't the most popular, but there are a TON of feats for both of these characters out there. Do yourself a favor, and learn something new about two awesome characters, then make an argument that you researched and formulated for yourself. Don't just wait for someone else to tell you what to think.

No Caption Provided

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 tparks  Online

@senglord said:

Stephanie uses incapacitation as a substitute for experienced combat skills. The tools she does use would not hold X long given the weird Healing Factor he has.

If she has restraints that can hols a low tier metahuman, I would give her the edge. Or more likely too close to call.

She has a net that can hold back hundreds of people at once:

No Caption Provided

Not saying she wins with it, just pointing out that she does have it.

GhostRavage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I didn't demanded the thread, i was surprised the PM was actually going for it out of the blue. All i did was make suggestions for the rules and the images used. Period. There's no need to antagonize me over the fact i haven't commented. You know there's life outside of ComicVine right?

Anyways, @tparks, how much time is left? I've been way too busy all week long.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 tparks  Online

@ghostravage: Normally Friday night. I understand being busy, and don't want you to feel forced.

Even if you can't give a full CaV style ultra comment, I would still be curious to your opinion on the battle, and how you think it might play out.