KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 114

#1  Edited By KrleAvenger

Battle of the Week: Spider-man vs Cyclops

This time we are focusing on street levelers again, using classic Marvel characters. Marvel's hero number one Spider-man takes on the Leader of the X-Men Cyclops. Not a match-up you would expect, right?

No Caption Provided

Match Rules:

• Combatants are in character.
  • This is a random encounter (no prep for either side) and both characters have standard gear.
  • They're fighting inside a closed room with metal walls which is 50 meters in length and 15 meters in height.
  • Standard Gear/Equipment.
  • Earth-616/Pre-Secret Wars Spider-Man (no All-New All-Different Equipment).
  • Earth-616/Pre-Marvel Now Cyclops (standard Optic Blast, not the one from Marvel Now run)
  • Incapacitation, knockout, or death all count as elimination. Making a tactical retreat counts as a loss, too. "What's a tactical retreat?" It's leaving the fight with the intention of not returning to the battle in the immediate future. Going to another spot in the environment to catch your breath for a moment or two or for a tactical advantage is not a tactical retreat.
  • No Battle Field Removal (BFR)
  • Treating everyone else in the debate with respect is a sign of a good debater. If you think someone's saying something that just isn't true, go ahead and stick to the facts to point out why. There's no need at all to drop insults just because you disagree with someone. This is just talking about a fictional fight, there's no need for immaturity and mudslinging about fan fic.
  • If you think the poll isn't going how it should, making an informative post about why a character is being underestimated and spreading the word is far more useful than complaining.
  • One more thing: you don't need to write an essay to have your post highlighted in Friday's article. Sometimes concise posts can be way more effective than a flood of paragraphs.
  • Voting last for a week, and the votes will be posted in the OP to see where combatants stand by until the resutls. Votes do not determine who wins, only who the majority at the time sides with.

Special thanks to @k4tzm4n for allowing me and other users to continue making these battle of the week threads.

TheWatcherKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3 TheWatcherKing  Online

Spider-Man.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fact that the battle takes place in the Danger Room gives the edge to cyclops as he has a massive advantage by being familiar with it and has taken enemies more powerful than Spidey by hiding in the Danger Room

Revan-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really depends on who gets more serious first.

Battle123axe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really depends on who gets more serious first.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a5a76120d2ba
deactivated-5a5a76120d2ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OK let's break this down categorically.

Spiderman is leagues ahead in every physical category. He is strong enough to KO Scott with even a grazing hit. He is agile enough to make Scott really have to work to even land a shot, and he has the durability to take a shot or two unless Scott lands a clean shot at almost full power. Scott is just plain out of his depth when it comes to physicals. However, this is nothing new to Scott, he has been the leader and tactician of the X-Men his entire life, and he has done it all with a rather simple power and human level abilities otherwise, it has been his strategic and tactical mind that has kept him going.

When it comes to experience, they both have seen it all, they have fought it all, and they have dealt with pretty much anything you can think of. The huge difference is in the way that they face these situations. Spiderman relies on instinct and his spider sense more than anything and Cyclops is more of a combat strategist. There are very few people in the Marvel universe that are a better field strategist than Scott Summers.

Scott is not without his own strengths though, while he may not have the physicals to keep up he has the offensive power to punch far above his weight class. He has had the strategic mind and tactics to keep up with Wolverine on multiple occasions and has defeated his own team more than once.

The setting is both good and bad for both of the combatants.

A big open metal room has tons of ways to bound an optic blast around to give Spiderman some issues, while his spidersense will make it incredibly hard for Scott to land the first shot at Peter, Scott knows this and would not bother trying to hit with the first shot. He will use the angles of the room and the ricocheted blasts to set Peter up for a second shot or just bound the first one around to hit him on the follow up. This helps Scott tremendously, however in a big open room, neither of them have any cover to help them, and while Spiderman has the agility and reflexes to dodge some shots or at least make sure that if he does get hit that they are not going to be any clean hits, Scott is going to have a MAJOR problem trying to dodge either attacks or webbing from Peter.

In the end it goes like this.

1. Scott knows Spiderman well enough to know that his is going to have a hard time hitting him, especially with an initial attack, and he also knows he is going to have to blast rather high in his power scale to be able to take him out anyway. Scott knows that the best chance he is going to get is to try to hit him in mid-air, because while Peter is super agile he still can not change his center of mass in midair.

2. Peter knows that Scott only has one real offensive weapon in this fight, his optic blast, and it only comes from one place, so he can pretty much ignore a physical hand to hand fight with Scott as being an issue because there is no way that Scott could ever contend with him in hand to hand. Peter's best bet would be to stay mobile and use his best asset in this fight, his webbing. A Cyclops that can't move his head, can't win. Peter easily has the agility to become a major problem for Scott and has many ways to win at just about any range he wants, where Scott only has one way to win.

In the end Peter wins 6 maybe 7/10. He is just going to be too hard to hit and even if he does get hit there is very little chance it will be a clean enough hit to put him down before Scott gets webbed up or punched unconscious. The 3 or 4 wins that Scott does get will be because of setting up Peter for a rebound shot or hitting him hard enough in mid air to get a second shot on him when he hits the ground. It is just not in character for Scott to do what it takes to get more wins, he does not normally just blanket a room in an optic blast, nor does he remove his visor just to take out someone like Spiderman.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doesn't the environment in the danger room change depending on what training the X-men are doing?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a89ca5697052
deactivated-5a89ca5697052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm this should be a good one.

TheDeathstroke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm going with Peter in a good fight

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevd4wg: @jashro44: I picked danger room because it seemed like a good place where Summers can rely on his ricochet tactic. But it is not suppose to change or activate any machines for training, so it's not like Summers will have any advantage.

Kevd4wg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krleavenger: So cyclops can't activate the Danger Room or blast out into the X-Mansion?

depinhom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

Spider-Man

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevd4wg: @jashro44: I picked danger room because it seemed like a good place where Summers can rely on his ricochet tactic. But it is not suppose to change or activate any machines for training, so it's not like Summers will have any advantage.

OK. I'm not to familiar with the danger room. Does anyone have a picture what it looks like exactly? Or can they name an issue to give me an idea what it looks like? I always thought it was just a flat, chrome room when nothing was active?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a5a76120d2ba
deactivated-5a5a76120d2ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44:

It is under normal circumstances, but it uses hard light technology to simulate any environment imaginable.

I would assume it is a general city street but in the danger room.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kevd4wg said:

@krleavenger: So cyclops can't activate the Danger Room or blast out into the X-Mansion?

No he can't, but it doesn't matter since I edited the OP.

@jashro44 said:
@krleavenger said:

OK. I'm not to familiar with the danger room. Does anyone have a picture what it looks like exactly? Or can they name an issue to give me an idea what it looks like? I always thought it was just a flat, chrome room when nothing was active?

It depends on the era and the artist, but to avoid confusing, I'll change the location. Now it's just a random metal room.

jrupert1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd give this to Spider-Man, Summers would likely make him work for it, especially since they're in character but Spider-Man is the right kind of opponent for facing Cyclops.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a89ca5697052
deactivated-5a89ca5697052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I think I am going with Peter here as well.

Summers morals are holding him back too much.

Even, if he manages to hit Peter a few times, which is already unlikely ... He probably wouldn't go down that quickly.

Morals off is a complete different thing.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#19 k4tzm4n  Moderator

"They're fighting inside a closed room with metal walls which is 50 meters in length and 15 meters in height."

Is it just a wide open room or is there a lot of stuff that can be used as cover?

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Peter should win. He can one-shot Cyclops, and has been blasted by Cyclops before without being overly injured.

No Caption Provided

And Cyclops was quite pissed in this case too.

stormshadow_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

Unless Scott chooses to kill peter and pulverize him I don't see him winning, He'll already have a decently hard time tagging him.

The_Justiciar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

destinyman75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 destinyman75  Online

Scott isn't going to beat Petey. His spider sense will have Scott missing a lot, and Scott will go down to a Petey punch, or web tossed into a door etc, he's not as durable as Spiderman.

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

An in-character Cyclops wouldn't kill Spidey, which is his main path to victory.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebcd5ad9fb95
deactivated-5ebcd5ad9fb95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Cyclops doesn't one shot at the start he dies.

oceanmaster21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cyclops

The_Justiciar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@krleavenger: I'm not, I usually make it crystal clear if I am. I've never really thought about who'd win between these two, so I think it's an interesting concept for a battle.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-61a1b6940ec47
deactivated-61a1b6940ec47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like Scott knowing spiderman would just level the whole room in front of him to avoid getting beat

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Spider-Man without much trouble

mrmonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spider-Man

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#33 god_spawn  Moderator

@blackspidey2099: I don't think Scott blasting Spidey there is really usable in Spider-Man's defense by saying he wasn't overly injured. Spidey accidentally got Scott hit by one of the laser guns, but Scott was, as he was saying in the scan, getting Parker out of the room. It's not like he pulled a major blast there or anything. With that said, I do believe Parker is more than capable of tanking a couple blasts as long as Scott isn't pouring out some serious power.

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@god_spawn: Yeah, but since Cyclops isn't bloodlusted in this debate, he is more likely to use blasts of that sort of power. Which Spidey, as I showed, will have little trouble with, even if he is tagged.

And another factor that I just thought about is that Spider-Man can move significantly FTE, so if the battle does get serious Spider-Man should be able to take Cyclops out before Cyclops can get a bead on him/remove his visor.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 god_spawn  Moderator

@blackspidey2099: Not necessarily. The point of the blast wasn't to harm him, but just push him out of the area. His standard blast is up for debate as to what he will use, but he's faced Parker before and knows his strengths and such, at least to a degree. I'm not saying he will do one shot blasts or will go no visor or anything of that sort but just debating the validity of the use of that scan in question when his purpose wasn't harm but to BFR him.

And Parker is significantly faster, that I won't debate and yes, Parker is capable of blitzing him.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#36 owie  Moderator

I think this is a really complex battle to decide, and I'll think about it before committing.

But, let's be clear--Cyclops can adjust the power of his blast from extremely fine to extremely powerful. He should have no problem adjusting his beam to a level necessary to KO but not kill Peter--IF he hits him, which is obviously the big question.

I am legitimately undecided, but I want to make sure that we all know what Cyke can do before deciding one way or the other.

Control of beam intensity--can adjust from extremely low level to far beyond what it takes to KO Pete

Extreme fine control--Cyclops blasts off only the top level of molecules from a tunnel.

Low intensity blast to knock lock off door

Blasts Hope, intentionally not hurting her

Blasts the top off a mountain: one, two

Blasts the helmet off Colossonaut

Blasts a hole in the Blob

Accuracy--can hit various agile opponents and ricochet like crazy

Blasts hole in thrown quarter

Even with no visor or glasses, has enough accuracy to blast the cuffs off 3 people in one shot

Even with no visor or glasses, targets the Master Mold and blows his hand off just by listening: one, two

Hits Sabretooth

Shoots and banks a small marble

Shoots Wolverine straight on

Shoots Wolverine from point blank--this is something people forget--he can just shoot while you're punching him, and if he can see you, he can hit you, since he shoots where he looks

Ricochet off Colossus to hit Wolverine from behind

Ricochets off ground to hit Wolverine

Multi-ricochet to turn off button

Super-multi-ricochet

Even young Cyclops can knock out 3 guys with one beam, deflecting it off multiple columns and splitting the beam into three

Shoots Cap's shield out of the air

Shoots Kraven

Wide beam--can shoot so wide it's almost impossible to dodge

Blasts tons of guys in Secret Wars I

Blasts very wide amount of debris

WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Peter.

Evil-Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel like we should all know Spider-Man wins

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 god_spawn  Moderator
@k4tzm4n said:

"They're fighting inside a closed room with metal walls which is 50 meters in length and 15 meters in height."

Is it just a wide open room or is there a lot of stuff that can be used as cover?

Repeating this since I want an answer before I make a post.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Peter

blackspidey2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By blackspidey2099

@god_spawn:Hmm, now I think you are understating that blast. Cyclops was kinda pissed since Spider-Man deflected some gunshots from Hope so that they hit Cyclops, which is why he got angry and blasted at Spidey. I think that's enough to at least say that was at normal intensity for Cyclops, IMO - just because Cyclops was enraged at the time. I'm pretty sure Cyclops and Spidey were both on the same team to fight against Cable there, so it couldn't have been just to BFR Spidey.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Spidey

Avatar image for deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00
deactivated-5b2121a0a9a00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Scott's only chance of winning is going all out, which due to the set of morals applied in this scenario can't happen.

Peter for a solid win

scavengerFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#44  Edited By scavengerFist

Scott having morals on ain't gonna win, Peter's too versatile in combat. Even with Scott setting up ricochet shots everywhere I think Pete can take one or two before making Scott dream of Jean Grey all over again.

Wyldsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nima_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Peter

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 god_spawn  Moderator

@blackspidey2099: I know the context of the blast, but I'm not on your side with this. Just because he was mad doesn't mean he put more intensity in that blast. Cyclops has enough control to sink an entire rack of pool balls without damaging anything to just enough juice with pin point accuracy to push in an acupuncture needle trying to torture a dude for info. A "normal blast" for Cyclops is such a vague concept. We know what full power blasts can do, but he's shot such a range of gentle blasts that can just range from pushing people over, to moving heavy objects, or straight up KO'ing people. But what we know from the scan used is that he wanted to get Spider-Man out of the area, hence why he said out. Sure he was mad, he just got shot, but saying he was mad and shot Spidey with a mad blast when Scott told him to get out is as it shows, IMO. He wanted Spider-Man out, not necessarily to hurt him. With that said as well, Scott can easily up an average blast to hurt Spider-Man relatively easily without it being considered a more high powered blast or a strenuous one.

Vaas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gonna roll with Spider-Man here

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I'd go with Spider-Man, his reflexes and Spider Sense are a really good counter to Cyclops' accuracy and ricocheting skill with his Optic Blasts.

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Spiderman takes a solid majority.

Not only his spidey-sense will make him extremely hard to tag (unless cyke chooses to go for huge beams), but also he can pretty much one-shot scott.

He can web him up from a distance, including but not limited to his visor.