Battle Of The Week: Spawn VS Doctor Strange

• 133 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Battle Of The Week: Spawn VS Doctor Strange (104 votes)

Spawn 29%
Doctor Strange 63%
To Close To Call 6%
No Caption Provided

Welcome to the final battle of Spawn month! For this battle it was decided to make it a battle of the mystics! We are putting Doctor Strange against Spawn (Simmons)!

Spawns Win Count Of The Month!

Since character of the month is back I figured it would be fun to keep score in the OP of how many battles Spawn has won this month:

2 wins, 1 loss, 1 Ties so far!

Rules

• Combatants are in character.
  • These are current versions of the character
  • This is a random encounter (no prep for either side) and both characters have standard gear.
  • They're fighting in a generic city setting. It takes place during the day and they start roughly 150 feet apart and visible. Everything in the city (let's say the city is the size of Manhattan and surrounded by ocean) is on limits.
  • Incapacitation, knockout, or death all count as elimination. Making a tactical retreat counts as a loss, too. "What's a tactical retreat?" It's leaving the fight with the intention of not returning to the battle in the immediate future. Going to another spot in the environment to catch your breath for a moment or two or for a tactical advantage is not a tactical retreat.
  • Treating everyone else in the debate with respect is a sign of a good debater. If you think someone's saying something that just isn't true, go ahead and stick to the facts to point out why. There's no need at all to drop insults just because you disagree with someone. This is just talking about a fictional fight, there's no need for immaturity and mudslinging about fan fic.
  • If you think the poll isn't going how it should, making an informative post about why a character is being underestimated and spreading the word is far more useful than complaining.
  • One more thing: you don't need to write an essay to have your post highlighted in Friday's article. Sometimes concise posts can be way more effective than a flood of paragraphs. Viner posts that stand out will be included at the end.
  • Votes last till late Friday, and the votes will be posted in the OP to see where combatants stand by Friday. Votes do not determine who wins, only who the majority at the time sides with.

Special thanks to @k4tzm4n for allowing me and other users to continue making these battle of the week threads

Special Announcement!

Also the winner of the character of the month poll was....

No Caption Provided

If you guys have any suggestions feel free to mention them here!

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/battles-7/battle-of-the-week-suggestion-thread-1767994/

• 
g2_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Spawn should win

Hiddenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Isn't current Doctor Strange heavily depowered? Well, either way, I think that you suggested that this is regular Doctor Strange, in this case I'm going with him. We're talking about the plot machine that could've wished Pre-Retcon Beyonder out of existence and even currently instantly dropped high-level reality warpers.

IMO he should be above Skyfather tier to an unknown extent. For this battle, he drains every single fraction of Spawn's mystical power.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hiddenlight: current strange is sorcerer supreme unless something happened in his ongoing recently.

Hiddenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: Wasn't he weakened by the influence of those science based beings that were destroying magic through the multiverse? His spells were failing and their costs heavily amplified

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jashro44

@hiddenlight: I don't remember him being weakened during hickmans run but I did miss a few issues. If your talking about his new ongoing I wouldn't know to be honest.

g2_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g2_ said:

@jashro44: he's right, strange was weakened.

Do you remember the issue? Regardless this isn't the weakened strange, that was my bad.

g2_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: so in this fight it's sorcerer supreme strange? if it does he wins.

CitizenSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Strange lays the smackdown on Spawn.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g2_ said:

@jashro44: so in this fight it's sorcerer supreme strange? if it does he wins.

That was the most recent version of Strange to my knowledge.

g2_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By g2_
jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g2_ said:

@jashro44: it happened in secret wars 4

How was Strange depowered? That was the issue Doom killed him.

g2_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

g2_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: well it's unknown because after doom killed him and he returned to life he wasn't as powerful as he was before doom killed him.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g2_ said:

@jashro44: well it's unknown because after doom killed him and he returned to life he wasn't as powerful as he was before doom killed him.

OK so Strange being depowered wasn't something revealed in secret wars but it was revealed in his ongoing.

Hiddenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44 said:
@g2_ said:

OK so Strange being depowered wasn't something revealed in secret wars but it was revealed in his ongoing.

Pretty much that, magic in multiverse is collapsing and as a Sorcerer Supreme, this is heavily nerfing him. His spells keep backfiring, he is exhausted after a few magic tricks and his more powerful spells don't work in any way.

Not that this matters here as we're using regular Doctor Strange.

g2_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By g2_
g2_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By g2_

@hiddenlight: thats true.

@jashro44: you got your answer.

but since it's sorcerer supreme stange well spawn will lose

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 114

I think Strange wins this.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I know people are voting Strange, but he is not winning regardless the misconception of his past glory days and plot heavy classic feats. Current Spawn is fighting a Skyfather being and spanking Hell Lord level beings easy. Dr Strange with Dooms help could not even take Mephisto, and regularly was beaten down by Ghost Rider.

People voting for Strange are blind to his limits it seems.

Current Simmons with the most dangerous weapon in the universe, and God Sword wins handily the majority.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By sirfizzwhizz

On a side note, people voted for Spawn to beat Dr Doom, a character better than Strange honestly, and ties with Ghost Rider, another character who is better than Strange (4-0 wins on Strange in comics) and yet here Strange is just "too much".

Typical arguments for Strange.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgardianbrony: he is in a current Arc of fighting Lucifer for Wandas soul still. Owning Hell and withstanding Lucifer as the most powerful weapon in the universe, (the Suit) and armed with the most powerful weapon in Heaven (God Sword).

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgardianbrony: I'm not surprise you voted for them. I voted to close to call with Riders, but Current Spawn would wreck doom faster than Melhisto did.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By sirfizzwhizz

@asgardianbrony: it was current Spawn (Ressurected Spawn) in the first Battle of the Week.

Second Age was used for the Etrigan, Ghost Riders, and Thor fights.

Hiddenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

On a side note, people voted for Spawn to beat Dr Doom, a character better than Strange honestly, and ties with Ghost Rider, another character who is better than Strange (4-0 wins on Strange in comics) and yet here Strange is just "too much".

Typical arguments for Strange.

There was no retcon and Jashro made clear that we're using regular Strange, not the fodder version that is being written post secret wars.

And what feats from Doom without prep suggest that he is even remotely close to Strange? Stephen take out characters way out of his tier on a regular basis, not even Odinson could approach him when he used the Words.

HelixFlameYT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Strange has this in the bag

oldwasher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I gotta agree with almost everyone else here. I think strange will take this

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By sirfizzwhizz

@hiddenlight: are you saying Strange can beat Odin? Or Thor? Pick your words carefully.

What's funny is even Jashro is amazed as the Strange fandom. Im sure he would made this Divine Spawn or God Spawn if he known people would wank Strange this badly. At least it be fair right?

Hiddenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hiddenlight: are you saying Strange can beat Odin? Or Thor? Pick your words carefully.

What's funny is even Jashro is amazed as the Strange fandom. Im sure he would made this Divine Spawn or God Spawn if he known people would wank Strange this badly. At least it be fair right?

With his conjured artifacts, yes, he can as he did with way stronger beings. He did this way too many times to take everything as PIS or WIS, unless the character itself is a WIS and that's not the case.

Nothing suggests that he lost the power of the Words, so a whisper would be enough to defeat Thor as it already did in New Avengers. Thor wasn't even the most impressive of that group. Actually, the words would be enough against this version of Spawn too.

Either way, old feats aren't necessary, banishing Simmons to Shuma-Gorath dimension and putting a dimensional anchor on him to prevent him from coming back would be enough.

SamJackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SamJackson

@sirfizzwhizz: I think he just meant Thor he started going by his surname after becoming unworthy. I don't think he meant Odin lol I hope he didn't mean Odin.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hiddenlight: Well in fairness during avenging Spider-Man #8 strange didn't do so well against doom.

Hiddenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44 said:

@hiddenlight: Well in fairness during avenging Spider-Man #8 strange didn't do so well against doom.

In "Doctor Strange: Triumph and Torment" he easily bested Doom in a mystical combat. Besides that, his regular feats are beyond Doom's best ones. Blocking blasts from a bloodlusted Mephisto in his own realm, destroying Dormammu's body, removing the powers of a Captain Universe etc and all of those are from current comics, not his classic version.

As a last resource, he can always channel Eternity's powers through himself, which is also way beyond Doom, or Spawn for that matter.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sirfizzwhizz: I think he just meant Thor he started going by his surname after becoming unworthy. I don't think he meant Odin lol I hope he didn't mean Odin.

No, I think he meant Odin himself. The way he is talking about Strange Plot/Context heavy feats.

Hiddenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hiddenlight: BLASPHEMER! The all father is BEYOND a mere mortal wizard! How dare you speak such folly!

Without his artifacts, I agree, Odin is beyond him in sheer damage output, but with them Odin wouldn't be that much of a problem (Ignoring the fact that current Odin is a jobber of course).

About Thor, Strange takes him away with minimum to no problems, as he did with a whisper.

@samjackson said:

No, I think he meant Odin himself. The way he is talking about Strange Plot/Context heavy feats.

Context heavy feats like those that he did without any previous prep-time? Like when he froze a team with Hyperion and Odinson in time? Or like when he gave Mephisto trouble very recently without any prep-time? Or when he damaged Dormammu, again in recent times, he buffed himself prior to that fight?

For Spawn, he can either BFR him and block his teleportation abilities, separate him from his power source (Unless Spawn's powers > Uni-Power, and we both know the answer) or summoning something like a fraction of Shuma-Gorath and letting it do the job for him.

Avatar image for deactivated-1351355
deactivated-1351355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@hiddenlight said:

In "Doctor Strange: Triumph and Torment" he easily bested Doom in a mystical combat. Besides that, his regular feats are beyond Doom's best ones. Blocking blasts from a bloodlusted Mephisto in his own realm, destroying Dormammu's body, removing the powers of a Captain Universe etc and all of those are from current comics, not his classic version.

As a last resource, he can always channel Eternity's powers through himself, which is also way beyond Doom, or Spawn for that matter.

Thor himself was blocked one attack from Mephisto while in Hades and even Silver Surfer IIRC( It's a good feat, but not really quantifiable). Also, when did Strange destroyed Dormammu's body( At least alone)? I hope you aren't talking about Amazing Spider-Man#57-58.

I only remember one single time when Strange kinda merged with Eternity and wasn't for combat purposes. Really, Stephen has far better feats than those ones such as destroying an planet even in his Astral Form and overpowering The Cosmic Wheel of Change( Which empowered by In-Betweener was replacing all the stars in the universe) and even Stygyro himself( The guy was basically a living star and later transformed into black hole), who demonstrated power enough to easily destroy the entire Earth in a weaker form.

Feats like these are much easily to work with.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hiddenlight:

For Spawn, he can either BFR him and block his teleportation abilities,

Sounds easier said down. Necro Plasma is literally reality warping magic, and Spawn carries enough to fight Hell King and Sky Father beings (God, Urizen, and Satan) who can make and break planets like it was Tuesday. Omega alone soloed Image heroes in Image United, and he was only Hell King power.

Also Spawn can teleport to a realm that intersected with Marvel and DC universes, thus Omniversal teleportation honestly. His normal teleportations take him outside time and space casually. Show me Strange doing the same mate.

separate him from his power source (Unless Spawn's powers > Uni-Power, and we both know the answer) or summoning something like a fraction of Shuma-Gorath and letting it do the job for him.

Spawns powers are Satans own. Necroplasma. Satan is the child of Man of Miracles, Images One Above All. Add to that the suit itself, K7 Leetha is the ultimate weapon in Spawn Universe. So yeah, by the math, Necro Plasma and Suit powers will do fine to counter. Nice try though with that argument.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44 said:

Well Strange is suppose to be a better mystic than Doom but Doom isn't limited to just magic normally. I can't comment on his feat against Mephisto (all though blocking/surviving attacks from a more powerful being isn't uncommon) or the showing against captain universe but you forgot to mention dormammu wasn't at full strength when Strange destroyed his body (or rather dormammu destroyed his own body during a fight with doctor strange). Also as the battle went on Dorammu was getting weaker (admittedly this can be attributed to how much Strange was taxing Dormammu but regardless):

deactivated-1351355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44 said:

Well Strange is suppose to be a better mystic than Doom but Doom isn't limited to just magic normally. I can't comment on his feat against Mephisto (all though blocking/surviving attacks from a more powerful being isn't uncommon) or the showing against captain universe but you forgot to mention dormammu wasn't at full strength when Strange destroyed his body (or rather dormammu destroyed his own body during a fight with doctor strange). Also as the battle went on Dorammu was getting weaker (admittedly this can be attributed to how much Strange was taxing Dormammu but regardless):

I think it's more along those lines.

Strange later said to Peter that his objective was to stop Dormammu before the same could arrive at his full power, which for me gives the idea that as the time passed, Dormammu would get stronger and stronger. This would explain that dark future during Amazing Spider-Man#500 where Dormammu killed all the heroes and conquered the universe( Strange himself admitted that once at his full power, no one could stop Dormammu).

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

deactivated-1351355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: Oh! I forgot it.

This is the said Mephisto's feat that Hiddenlight mentioned:

He even matched Mephisto a bit and we must keep in mind that was inside of the Hades( Mephisto was also amped).

Strange also shown to be capable of binding and blinding Mephisto for a time:

Threatening to fuse Mephisto and Satannish( There's a bit of context in this, though):

WastelandMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By WastelandMan

Strange wins the majority.

@sirfizzwhizz said:

I know people are voting Strange, but he is not winning regardless the misconception of his past glory days and plot heavy classic feats.

The only misconception here is yours. I pointed this out in our CaV, Strange is Sorcerer Supreme once more making him at full power and as strong as his classic days:

No Caption Provided

Hell, in his most recent comic, he performed FOUR different planetary feats in that comic alone. If that doesn't scream Classic Strange I don't know what does. NOT ONLY senses the suffering of people across the planet (like Spawn can) but takes a portion of the souls of all the people suffering in the world and transfers it:

Sensed specific magical events happening across the entire planet:

Drained the entire Earth of its magic:

No Caption Provided

And guess what? Strange did all that while unable to use most of his spells at the time.

Current Spawn is fighting a Skyfather being and spanking Hell Lord level beings easy. Dr Strange with Dooms help could not even take Mephisto, and regularly was beaten down by Ghost Rider.

People voting for Strange are blind to his limits it seems.

Current Simmons with the most dangerous weapon in the universe, and God Sword wins handily the majority.

Powersets can allow people to defeat beings stronger than them. Strange defeated The In-Betweener by using his ability to channel the power of cosmic entities NOT because he's more powerful than The In-Betweener. What works on them doesn't necessarily mean it'll work on Strange. Show me what Spawn SPECIFICALLY can do to win.