• 117 results
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Earlier this month, the Comic Vine voters held a tournament to select a new Character of the Month. Five characters entered the competition, and it was Wonder Woman who was picked as the champion! As the Character of the Month, we'll give her plenty of love on the homepage with all different kinds of articles, but we're also going to test her abilities as a combatant. How will she fare against someone she's never met before?

She was able to defeat her first enemy, Marvel'sBeta Ray Bill, but for her second opponent, we wanted to take a look at options that are outside of the Big Two. You know, to switch it up just a little bit. In the end, we picked Skybound's powerful character, Invincible! Would Diana earn a second victory in a row or would Mark Grayson knock out the popular Justice Leaguer? Well, the votes are in and Wonder Woman wins!

No Caption Provided

What this one came down to was experience and weapons. Invincible's an incredibly tough character, sporting very impressive physicals and pain tolerance, but it's Wonder Woman's tactical mind, impressive melee skills, and variety of equipment (e.g. Lasso of Truth) which made more voters side with her. Even if Mark does land a clean hit or two, Diana's no pushover and has what it takes to recover pretty swiftly. The longer this fight goes on, the more and more it favors Diana. It's worth noting an extended fight does increase Mark's odds since he'll be able to resort to more violent measures, but it also means Diana knows she has to fight smart and do what she needs to do to bring the fight to a close. No matter who you're rooting for, this would definitely be an entertaining brawl to witness. In case you're wondering about the voting, Invincible took 41%, Wonder Woman received 55%, and 4% thought this one is just too close to call. Now, let's see what some Comic Viners had to say about this match.

soldierofel

"I'm a big fan of Mark but I gotta give this to pre New 52 Wondy. She's got the strength and speed to go head to head with Superman and has got the combat skills to outclass Mark. That being said Mark won't go down easy. It'll be a tough fight but Diana takes the majority."

No Caption Provided

EpicMeltDown

"I have read every issue of Invincible since issue 1. I've reread the series numerous times. Meanwhile, I think I have only read maybe a dozen issues of Wonder Woman. I may be the only comic fan you'll meet who knows a hell of a lot more about Invincible than I know about Wonder Woman. In any case, that makes me a poor judge of what Wonder Woman is capable of. However, a lot of people have commented on the numerous times Mark's been left bloody and broken after a fight and citing that as evidence of weakness but that's not really the case in my opinion and here's why. Invincible the comic is all about trying to realistically portray super human battles. Why has Wonder Woman never had her guts spilling out of her during a battle like Invincible? It's not because she's necessarily stronger or better than Invincible, it's because she's published by DC comics who can't show battles that gory. The worst she can get is broken limb, a bloody lip, maybe a bruise if the artist thinks they can make it look cute, etc but ultimately she's always going to be mostly intacted with few if any marks to show for it.

Invincible has definitely gone up against, in my opinion, opponents much stronger than Wonder Woman. I think Invincible is meant to be faster and stronger than Superman these days which as I understand it should make him faster and stronger than Wonder Woman. I will say that she's supposed to be a very skilled combatant and she's definitely more experienced. As much as I would like Invincible to win this I could still see Wonder Woman coming out on top. But if Invincible thought it was a fight to the death he's proved he's willing to go to bloody violent places Wonder Woman probably hasn't encountered in the DCU. That could give Invincible a last minute edge."

No Caption Provided

jwrose5

"Yes, Mark has incredible raw power that would make him a challenge for any hero, especially Superman or Sentry, but he also has youth; inexperience. Diana has been fighting and training in multiple forms of combat her entire life, and her raw power would be enough to make Mark even with his impressive healing.

Is it a stomping for WW? No. Could Mark win? Sure, given a good plot line. But in terms of skill and power, WW takes this one home."

No Caption Provided

DarthTanka

"I definitely vote for Invincible there. Why you ask? Multiple reasons:

N°1: Wonder Woman even if she is a more skilled fighter has never been portrayed as being able to actually defeat Superman, and the Viltrumites in the Invincible universe are in my opinions Kryptonians on steroids. There are no limits to what they can do. OmniMan when he was first introduced was presented as the Superman of the Invincible world, and recently (I don't remember the exact issue, but i do believe it's one that came out less than a year ago), Invincible proved himself to be just as strong if not stronger than his father when they got to arm wrestle and he decided to let him win. Even whilst taking into consideration that maybe OmniMan is not as powerful as Superman (which is debatable since he doesn't have any of his weaknesses), as far as raw power and strength are concerned, Invincible is one of the most powerful Viltrumite there are, and on that field he is superior to the Amazon.

N°2 : Mark is one of the most tenacious heroes there are in comic books in my mind, if he has reasons enough to fight, he will keep on fighting even if his guts are literally splashing everywhere... So sure, Wonder Woman is a warrior at heart and she will never surrender in a fight, but I don't think in any iteration, I have actually seen her push herself the way Mark does when he is ready to go all the way. Even if you do not agree that Invincible's raw power is greater than WW's, the fact is that with his endurance he has been able to defeat opponents that were a lot stronger than he is, I'm thinking of Conquest there. With that in mind I don't see how any battle between the two doesn't end at least with a double KO.

N°3 : One of the attribute that makes Wonder Woman awesome is the fact that she is a honorable warrior, who will always choose to battle their enemy in fair manner, that is the way of the Amazons. Invincible on the other hand is not; when he has to fight an opponent, what matters to him is victory no matter the cost. The Invincible universe is more violent than the DC universe, the heroes and villains there actually do spill a lot of blood, and characters just as strong if not stronger than WW have lost their life...

N°4 : Still keeping in mind that Mark is as of right now at least as strong as his father, don't forget that in a very early issue of Invincible, when the nature of the Viltrumite empire was revealed, OmniMan managed to kill by himself all the members of the knock off justice league that were the original Guardians of the Globe, among which stood a Wonde rWoman parody named War Woman. Of course we know almost nothing about this character but we have no reason to believe with the way she was portrayed that she was in any way less powerful than the original."

No Caption Provided

cosmicallyaware1

"Well, I suppose I'll throw my two cents in here if it counts for anything.

Invincible has impressive abilities, there's no denying that. And whereas he has been compared in power level to Clark ( that's a whole debate in itself), it is only speculation on comparative levels (and Clark and Diana have the mutual understanding between the two of them that she is the victor in a physical confrontation correct?). That argument aside, it still doesn't seem to be an issue as Diana has faced foes with higher powersets and versatility and walked away the victor many, many times previously. That being said it is relevant to point out the main two factors that give Diana the majority of the win here:

1) Fighting ability: Diana is one of the most adept and skillful warriors in the DCU with a vast history of combat and skill, which her opponent does not lay claim to in return (not even slightly.). That alone coupled with her physical statistics (strength, speed, endurance, durability) would provide a solid victory. hands down.

2) Experience: Diana (especially pre 52) has much more of a history. Mark has only begun his career. That means she has much more battles won (and lost at that) to draw from. Battles "season" a warrior, and they learn from them. Yes, Mark has had some fantastic battles.......Diana has had multitudes more.

And for those reasons, Wonder Woman trumps Invincible."

No Caption Provided

That's it for the latest Battle of the Week. You're welcome to continue the Wonder Woman vs. Invincible debate below (click here to see all of the match's rules like location and more), but you're also free to make suggestions for Wonder Woman's NEXT challenge! Who do you think is worthy of being her third match? Share your ideas for opponents below or via Twitter. Don't forget to check the homepage Monday to see who Diana will fight next!

OrdinaryAlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I agree with the outcome.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Mucklefluga

Very close. I think Invincible could've got more votes if more people had read his comic.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sirfizzwhizz

Pre 52 feat with New 52 feats needs to go away. Stick with one version or the other.

Other than that pre 52 Wonder Woman would beat Mark, but so far New 52 WW would lose more likely than not from what I seen.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#4 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Pre 52 feat with New 52 feats needs to go away. Stick with one version or the other.

Other than that pre 52 Wonder Woman would beat Mark, but so far New 52 WW would lose more likely than not from what I seen.

We did. The rules were clear in original article: "This is pre-New 52 Wonder Woman."

johnny_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By johnny_blaze

It's dumb when people bring up his youth, because it's such a non factor. He's not a kid anymore, he's been around the block numerous times. Read Invincible people!!!

nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's dumb when people bring up his youth, because it's such a non factor. He's not a kid anymore, he's been around the block numerous times. Read Invincible people!!!

I do read Invincible.

I don't read Wonder Woman, but any of her feats I've read in JLA, Flash, Superman and GL just....I voted for Wonder Woman, she just outclasses him.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

When I checked it last night, Invincible had something like a 12% lead, and before that Wonder Woman had an 11% lead. Who brings in these swarms of votes?

Evil-Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Evil-Incarnate

@saren: It was Batman. He waited until the last minute and hooked all the Amazons on Themyscira up with free WiFi!

No Caption Provided

If you'd like to bring up some serious points for Invincible I'd be willing to debate you.

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n said:

@sirfizzwhizz said:

We did. The rules were clear in original article: "This is pre-New 52 Wonder Woman."

I kept seeing comments on New 52 Wonder woman, and noticed the last few Green Arrow, and past Deathstroke battle of the weeks were always Pre/New 52 feats. I just assumed this was no different. Glad to know this as Pre 52 would win pretty handily.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

But... he's Invincible...

Evil-Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

Yeah "Invincible" to winning against a more formidable top tier with a bigger catalog of feats and popularity to boot!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c9535a734784
deactivated-5c9535a734784

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Knew the outcome would be this but it's cool. Invincible should get a character of the month soon. That would be cool.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By SoA

called it lol

Evil-Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Knew the outcome would be this but it's cool. Invincible should get a character of the month soon. That would be cool.

I'd feel like for him to get a fair shot at winning he'd have to go up against other indie superheroes or low-mid high tier characters from the big two such as maybe Donna Troy, Supergirl, Wonder Man. I'd even throw him up against Hyperion.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#15  Edited By Teerack

@evil_incarnate said:

@teerack said:

Yeah "Invincible" to winning against a more formidable top tier with a bigger catalog of feats and popularity to boot!

I get what you're trying to do, but you can't actually use the word invincible in a sentence like that. It doesn't make sense >.< It's like saying "Yeah 'invulnerable' to winning against a more formidable top tier with a bigger catalog of feats and popularity to boot!" that would mean he would win still :V

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

@frozen: They said it was a glitch.

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: The Mainstream hate is real.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@lukehero: Never mind, I misunderstood Saren's comment.

I thought it was stuffed that Invincible had the lead, but glitch explains it.

Wonder Woman rightfully wins.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

Wonder Woman vs. Captain Marvel next?

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#22 frozen  Moderator

Pre-New 52 Wonder Woman vs New-52 Superman

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MAZAHS117  Online

I have no idea who Invincible is, didn't vote.

Evil-Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wonder Woman vs. Captain Marvel next?

Has been done to death.

@frozen said:

Pre-New 52 Wonder Woman vs New-52 Superman

Hmm interesting...

How about Wonder Woman vs Apollo?

NePlusUltra51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NePlusUltra51

I voted for Invincible. In the seventh issue of Invicible to give an idea of how powerful these Viltrumites were one (Omni-Man) took on Guardians of the Globe (a fake Justice League) where the alternate versions of wonder woman, green lantern, aquaman, martian manhunter and batman were killed before they could even react to being attacked. Then Wonder Woman does have a weakness (an incredibly stupid weakness) but for whatever reason she's weak against piercing attacks, and Viltrumites literally specialize in using their hands like knives to pierce peoples flesh (multiple Viltrumites have been seen doing this same move Conquest, Thragg, Omni-man). Is it possible for WW to win, I think so; but he was written to be more powerful than she is. As far as skill he's beating people that have way more skill (thousands of years of experience) and strength just through pure determination. And if you haven't read Invincible you've seriously been missing out its amazing.

Evil-Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted for Invincible. In the first issue the of Invicible to give an idea of how powerful these Viltrumites were one (Omni-Man) took on Guardians of the Globe (a fake Justice League) where the alternate versions of wonder woman, green lantern, aquaman, martian manhunter and batman were killed before they could even react to being attacked. Then Wonder Woman does have a weakness (an incredibly stupid weakness) but for whatever reason she's weak against piercing attacks, and Viltrumites literally specialize in using their hands like knives to pierce peoples flesh (multiple Viltrumites have been seen doing this same move Conquest, Thragg, Omni-man). Is it possible for WW to win, I think so; but he was written to be more powerful than she is. As far as skill he's beating people that have way more skill (thousands of years of experience) and strength just through pure determination. And if you haven't read Invincible you've seriously been missing out its amazing.

Anybody can make a knock off Justice League, however it doesn't mean that they're automatically around the same level as the originals. If you believe for them to be than by all means post scans of them that would put them as equals or higher to the originals.

SadiaVicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By SadiaVicious
No Caption Provided

Yeah, sure.

NePlusUltra51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By NePlusUltra51

@evil_incarnate the point i was trying to make is Robert Kirkman made the alternatives because he had 18 pages to give a comparison to how strong the characters were before they were annihilated to show how strong the viltrumites were because for the most part if you read comics you can identify with the justice league. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2TNAhdWK0I 6:23 in he speaks of the Guardians.

Evil-Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sadiavicious:

I'm a bit confused. Was that directed towards someone or just your feelings about the results in some way?

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't agree with the outcome, but can't wait for her next opponent.

SadiaVicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Evil-Incarnate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Evil-Incarnate

@evil_incarnate the point i was trying to make is Robert Kirkman made the alternatives because he had 18 pages to give a comparison to how strong the characters were before they were annihilated to show how strong the viltrumites were because for the most part if you read comics you can identify with the justice league. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2TNAhdWK0I 6:23 in he speaks of the Guardians.

Then please by all means post the scans of them that make them comparable to the JL. Yes he based them off of them, but unless they've actually done something to be considered in their league we just can assume they're exactly the same. For example Power Princess is a Marvel ripoff of Wonder Woman doesn't have the exact same powerset and the things they do share aren't in the same degree. So once and for all if you'd like to try to prove that these people were as strong as the actual JL than post scans. Even in the video you posted he admitted that they were the best that the Invincible universe had to offer not the DC universe. He admitted that they we're based off of the JL, but then also admits that he changed them enough to make them a bit original. Furthermore 18 pages might not be enough to prove they're on the same level as the originals, but please do tryi you can.

Xenonyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Xenonyte

Can't believe I missed the poll for this, utterly disgusted with myself. Roll on the next poll!

And I definitely agree with the results.

NePlusUltra51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sadiavicious I knew he would lose because not as many people knew about him, but Mark his Dad and the other Viltrumite guy destroying that planet was awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUUhgMQRwzw btw way @evil_incarnate that's the comic if you needed to look at it as far as feats. The fake flash was fast enough to do multiple missions inbetween words said in his conversation with his girlfriend but not fast enough to react to Omni-Man. And Mark is about equal to him now if not stronger.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By tparks

Really disagree with a lot of the points brought up, but at least Invincible got a week. :)

sirfizzwhizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By sirfizzwhizz

@evil_incarnate: there is one feat from the Red Blur, he moved so fast that he saved multiple people, and beaten a villain across Russia while never seeming to move at all in front of his girlfriend who was talking to him. That's insane fast, but Omni Man blitzed him and the rest of the Guardians with total ease. So that's a decent feat for speed.

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No rape jokes?

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@tparks said:

Really disagree with a lot of the points brought up, but at least Invincible got a week. :)

how so?

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By tparks

@laflux: That Wonder Woman's speed is as big of a game changer as many have said. Still a pretty great battle of the week.

tparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By tparks

@laflux: Also, I'm referring more to the general comments, not the comments of the week. All of those were well thought out and deserving.

GeekOfKrypton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Big Invincible fan here! I don't think he could win this fight. Wonder Woman would end him. Invincible could not even beat Superman (But I'm going off topic here). It's an interesting fight.

Maybe if Mark was the same age as his Dad then maybe he could hold his own a little longer.

GeekOfKrypton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By GeekOfKrypton

Big Invincible fan here! I don't think he could win this fight. Wonder Woman would end him. Invincible could not even beat Superman (But I'm going off topic here). It's an interesting fight.

Maybe if Mark was the same age as his Dad then maybe he could hold his own a little longer.

@johnny_blaze

Edited by johnny_blaze - November 21, 2014 at 8:20 AM

Its obvious that the older they get the stronger they seem to get, because Invincible did not beat his father and he did not beat a lot of the others that he encountered.

SUPER-MAN 23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 789

User Lists: 8

Very close. I think Invincible could've got more votes if more people had read his comic.

I agree with this.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN TOO CLOSE TO CALL!!!

kid Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i voted for the young mr. grayson. i knew he wouldnt win but i still voted for him. i think with him it just comes down to an experience/longevity thing. sure he's fought some powerful enemies and he took part in some huge battles but WW has years of back-story and battles under her belt. if Invincible had been around as long as WW i wonder if the results would be different...

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers