Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jashro44

Battle Of The Week Results!

No Caption Provided

For this weeks battle of the week we put two creatures of hell against each other. We put Spawn (Simmons) against Etrigan! However despite Etrigan doing a little bit better than Doom did in the polls he still couldn't take the win from Spawn. After 75 votes Spawn this week, Spawn remains victorious! Why was that?! Well lets look at some arguments!

Arguments of the Week!

First argument from @nima_

Etrigan the Demon has gone blow for blow with Superman and Woman multiple times, even laughing off Wonder Woman's hits. If Etrigan does not have Jason Blood holding him back than I don't know how Spawn beats him. Etrigan became demon king of Hell by defeating the other Hell Lords and tearing out Beelzebub's heart, so it's not like Spawn holds those kinds of feats exclusively.

Etrigan's spells have sent Superman back in time casually. He's got shields. He's got other spells. He's very strong. He's even fought while his body has been ripped apart. Those are all post-Crisis.

Spawn is cool, but he may have met his match here.

Second argument from @tparks (as a reply to @sirfizzwhizz)

I do think Etrigan's ability to counter hell-based powers and magic in general does play a pretty big role in this. That alone isn't enough to say he wins like you said, but it does make things difficult for Spawn, and his ability to survive and instantly heal from any physical trauma almost forces Spawn to rely on his other abilities, which if Etrigan can either negate or absorb, turns this into a tough long fight.

Basically everything I just said can be said for Spawn too though, which is why I thought this would be a great fight. Both have tons of counters to eachother's abilities, and both have powerful abilities.

I really do think this one is too close to call, because I don't see how either could be superior, since both can counter and cosmic based characters, like Malbolgia or Merlin.

Third argument from @owie

I tend to agree with @tparks that this is too close to call (and I think you should post your pre-Crisis feats, if you get a chance, for the education of the audience if nothing else). They both have a variety of random powers, with Spawn perhaps having a wider range and being slightly more powerful in his "magic" (necro, whatever). Etrigan's pure internal magic potential is at least as great, I think, but it tends to be more magic resistance than offensive magic. On the other hand, I think Etrigan is more powerful physically. This will get into a physical fight, I think, amongst all the random magical stuff. Etrigan likes a physical fight, he is a masochist and likes pain, he likes to get his claws and teeth into a fight. I think he will go for that here, and I expect Spawn would follow up in that vein, using his formidable chains and so on. Most importantly in Etrigan's corner is probably his most basic weapon, his hellfire breath. This is some powerful stuff, capable of hurting Superman and the Phantom Stranger, and I think it would do a number on Spawn as well. Between all that back and forth of physical attacks and magic, it's hard to reach a definitive winner.

4th argument from @sirfizzwhizz

I think the arguments for this thread has already boiled down to this.

Spawn and Etrigan can depower the other. Spawn also feeds off evil and anything not holy or touch by light. Plus there.

Both characters have incredible strength feats as shown. Spawn may be a little behind, may be ahead depending how you want to argue the feats, but Spawn is not lacking in the durability and strength. Spawn also has back up from Legion, and more range attacks with his suit in close combat.

Both have devastating hax magic. Spawns reality warping necro that been use to many effects such as heat energy that rival stars, light speed molecular teleport attacks, molecule manipulation, shadow manipulation, time manipulation, world level TP, and manipulation of the earth itself in battles. Etrigan who has the soul attacking hellfire, time manipulation, BFR to hell people, and see through illusions. Personally I rate Spawn better in versatility due to more abilities shown with his hax, and affecting beings like Mamon, and Urizen with it.

Regen wise I go with Spawn. Able to regen decapitation and blown apart skull in seconds. Its better IMO.

Simmons is a better fighter, and more skilled hands down.

Also this is a fight of 1 vs many. Spawn has himself, the self aware suit, and Legion vs Etrigan shared body.

Interesting fight to challenge Spawn, but Spawn is the better IMO.

Thanks again for any support and help for these sporadic fun comments. Battle Forums have a lot to offer in terms of discussion, Tournaments, and Challenge a Viner. The only place to discuss dream matches you would never get to discuss anywhere else. Also if there is any artist who like to make some art for these segments, please do PM me. I post regularly in the Artist Show Off for talent want to make a quick sketch for recognition of their skills.

Also big thanks to...

k4tzm4n, Sirfizzwhizz, Laflux, Lukehero, TheNewBlueBeetle007, HigorM, Cosmicallyaware1, Floopay, YourNeighborhoodComicGeek, Wyldsong, Lvenger, Tparks, as well any others who jump on board with this project.

If you want to read the thread click below:

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/forums/battles-7/battle-of-the-week-spawn-vs-etrigan-1773607/#145

Spawn Win Count

2 win-0 ties-0 losses

No Caption Provided

notaidiotidoit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah it was kind of obvious...

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

notaidiotidoit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@notaidiotidoit: For once I agree with you.

Well its not always about winning and losing. This weeks battle of the week we used Etrigan who is a fairly unknown character so I hope people learned about him at least.

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@jashro44: I'd like to think so too, but I'm guessing they didn't.

Avatar image for linsanel_doctor
linsanel_Doctor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

smh popularity contest at best

Sirfizwhiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Sirfizwhiz

@jashro44: I learned more of Etrigan, and I was surprise how many actually knew him well.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: I learned more of Etrigan, and I was surprise how many actually knew him well.

Yea I noticed your opinion shifted from "poor man's ghost rider" to "its an interesting fight" :p

Avatar image for ultimate_knight
Ultimate_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What did I learn? Etrigan is a demon who can physically go toe to toe with Superman and most of his magic is based on countering other magic. He also very tolerant to pain. Though, I did not learn how he acts in character and what makes him interesting story-wise...

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#11 owie  Moderator

I'm just gonna pat myself on the back a little here, this is the 20th time I've had an argument featured on the BOTW between the various k4tz, SFW, and Jashro versions. Thanks to y'all for your support!

And looking forward to this upcoming one with Thor and Loki.

notaidiotidoit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44:

@jashro44 said:
@tifalockhart said:

@notaidiotidoit: For once I agree with you.

Well its not always about winning and losing. This weeks battle of the week we used Etrigan who is a fairly unknown character so I hope people learned about him at least.

Thats fair

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What did I learn? Etrigan is a demon who can physically go toe to toe with Superman and most of his magic is based on countering other magic. He also very tolerant to pain. Though, I did not learn how he acts in character and what makes him interesting story-wise...

I believe @tparks read some etrigan stories pretty recently. He might be able to let you know if you are interested (assuming he doesn't mind).

Avatar image for ultimate_knight
Ultimate_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44 said:
@ultimate_knight said:

I believe @tparks read some etrigan stories pretty recently. He might be able to let you know if you are interested (assuming he doesn't mind).

So you are telling me to private message him about Etrigan if I want to?

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

daingermouz20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gotta go with Spawn. Even though I have not read Spawn steadily in yrs What has always stood out to me is if he were to come in contact with characters like Etrigan,Doctor Fate, Dr.Strange they would probably use some sort of incantation,spell But as far as I know Spawns magical abilities can pretty much do anything he wills. No spells needed.