Battle Of The Week: Quasar VS Captain Atom

• 94 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Battle Of The Week: Quasar VS Captain Atom (89 votes)

Quasar 37%
Captain Atom 47%
Too Close To Call 12%

No Caption Provided

For this weeks battle of the week we have two cosmic level power houses going head to head! We have Captain Atom Versus Quasar!

Rules

• Combatants are in character.
  • Captain Atom is pre flashpoint
  • This is a random encounter (no prep for either side) and both characters have standard gear.
  • They're fighting in a generic city setting. It takes place during the day and they start roughly 100 feet apart and visible. Everything in the city (let's say the city is the size of Manhattan and surrounded by ocean) is on limits.
  • Incapacitation, knockout, or death all count as elimination. Making a tactical retreat counts as a loss, too. "What's a tactical retreat?" It's leaving the fight with the intention of not returning to the battle in the immediate future. Going to another spot in the environment to catch your breath for a moment or two or for a tactical advantage is not a tactical retreat.
  • Treating everyone else in the debate with respect is a sign of a good debater. If you think someone's saying something that just isn't true, go ahead and stick to the facts to point out why. There's no need at all to drop insults just because you disagree with someone. This is just talking about a fictional fight, there's no need for immaturity and mudslinging about fan fic.
  • If you think the poll isn't going how it should, making an informative post about why a character is being underestimated and spreading the word is far more useful than complaining.
  • One more thing: you don't need to write an essay to have your post highlighted in Friday's article. Sometimes concise posts can be way more effective than a flood of paragraphs. Viner posts that stand out will be included at the end.
  • Votes last till late Friday, and the votes will be posted in the OP to see where combatants stand by Friday. Votes do not determine who wins, only who the majority at the time sides with.

Special thanks to @k4tzm4n for allowing me and other users to continue making these battle of the week threads

• 
JarlBallin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A very interesting battle indeed. Both are powerful characters in their own right and very underrated.

Vertigo-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm not very well versed in anyone here. I'll wait and see what arguments are made

Lord-Parallax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

@jashro44: Nice battle.

Though unfortunately I lack alot of knowledge on both characters.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 114

I was already talking about this fight before. I can explain it in a more detailed way but for now, I'm just gonna say it can go either way. Either Quasar uses his energy manipulation and absorption to win or Cap will use his physical abilities and his own versatility to win.

JarlBallin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: Nice battle.

Though unfortunately I lack alot of knowledge on both characters.

Same to a degree. Although if this was N52 Nate I'd back him in a heartbeat. But I'd lean more towards Quasar overall. I'd put his energy absorption and constructs above what Atom can dish out at least for his Post Crisis version.

Warlockmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

uggh Wendell's scans were lost to me recently... tag me for debates though please

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll have to double check some Captain Atom comics just to remember his stats. Than I'll post my opinion on about who would win. Pretty interesting because I'm not sure myself.

Avatar image for deactivated-60fae469e992f
deactivated-60fae469e992f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is gonna be good.

Personally I think Quasar should beat Pre-52 Atom based on his sheer energy absorption

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Funny how both of these guys are powered by Quantum Energy.

uggh Wendell's scans were lost to me recently... tag me for debates though please

I have 80+ scans for Wendell. I can post some if you need them.

Warlockmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@krleavenger: i plan on rereading his solo series and his Annihilation tie ins... eventually. but if you drop some in your official post feel free to tag me.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll back Cap Atom. I may drop a post, depending on how the thread develops.

Warlockmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll back Cap Atom. I may drop a post, depending on how the thread develops.

BOOOOO!

No Caption Provided

Batman3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Close match here. I'm gonna back Atom here but I have to admit my knowledge is limited on Quasar.

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Quasar , I can maybe make an argument for him

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@warlockmage: lol, I look forward to seeing you represent Wendell.

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

How physically strong is Vaughn? That may decide my vote.

king_majestros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is one of those battles where it's too close to call for me. However, I'm leaning toward Quasar for the time being due to my lacking full knowledge of Captain Atom.

_Logos_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@jashro44: So no BFR for either one of them right? And if BFR is not restricted, how much of the Quantum Field manipulation is being limited here, considering that this is just Pre-Flashpoint limitation on Captain Atom?

_Logos_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also that's a horrible picture of Nathaniel, especially compared to Quasar's.

pipxeroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This will be interesting. It's draining time boys.

APEX_pretador

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

He can take hits from high tier characters, but to answer your question, not very.

However, he can make things like the hulk using his Quantum bands.

TryingToChill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now there seem to be some polarising viewpoints here, and I'm afraid I don't have enough knowledge of Atom to comment. With that said,

Captain Atom's stupid tinfoil body is going to get stripped apart layer by layer and that ugly smear of ketchup on his chest is going to be forced down his throat in front of his weeping children, unless he does not have any, in which case any existing relative will do.

GIliad_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By GIliad_

Quasar has superior energy absorption and manipulative capabilities however this isn't too say Cap'n's outclassed. While "Quantum Jumping" can prove limiting for Nathaniel in many situations it's often the rate at which he is forced to intake energy, rather than the magnitude - which is allegedly not limited. Quasar won't be able to drain & incapacitate Cap'n for the same reason he can't incapacitate Norrin. Moreover while Cap'n is able to, reasonably, defend against Quasar's advantages, I don't see Quasar being able to compete with Nate's physical superiority - being able to sponge and trade hits with Kryptonian level powerhouses. They've both got their respective strengths and shortcomings however I feel Captain Atom is the more well rounded. Captain Atom 7/10.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jashro44: So no BFR for either one of them right? And if BFR is not restricted, how much of the Quantum Field manipulation is being limited here, considering that this is just Pre-Flashpoint limitation on Captain Atom?

I'll say no BFR since Captain Atom's powers are theoretically limitless in the quantum zone.

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now this is a pretty interesting match up. @static_shock, thoughts?

emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 emperorthanos-  Moderator

Unfortunately know next to nothimg about Atom.

I can provide scans for quasar for now. I make an arguement once i see some of Atoms feats.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Captain Atom's stupid tinfoil body is going to get stripped apart layer by layer.

It's not that easy. Trust me.

@jashro44 said:

I'll say no BFR since Captain Atom's powers are theoretically limitless in the quantum zone.

The Quantum Zone and the Quantum Field aren't the same. The former is all energy, and the latter is all energy and matter.

Now this is a pretty interesting match up. @static_shock, thoughts?

I think Atom can win.

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@static_shock: Can Adam be drained by him?

Theoretically, no.

He fought Lord Havok in JLE back in the 80s, who sports a suit of armor that feeds off of energy. Havok tried to drain him while they were grappled up, and Atom asked him if his armor had a limit to what it could absorb before powering up and forcefully feeding his armor with Quantum energy. That would imply that he can't be drained. That's really all I got, though.

brucerogers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#35 owie  Moderator

Crap, I was going to make a bunch of classic Quasar scans months ago, and never got around to it. Guess I need to take a look back at those issues now.

While my direct knowledge of Atom is low, I would say it could probably go either way. Possibly the fact that they're in character gives Quasar an advantage, since an immoral Atom could use his transformational powers directly on Vaughan, but I'm guessing an in-character Atom would not. But, I'd be happy to hear of examples of where an in-character Atom has transformed people in the past. It's always hard in a hero on hero battle to know how hard they're going to fight--is it a situation where there's mistaken identity, and they think the other guy is a bad guy, so they're going all out, or where they know it's a good guy, and they're just mad at him, or he's standing in the way of some strategic goal? This kind of motivational hair-splitting doesn't always matter, but it does when it comes to turning the other guy into a chunk of coal.

Atom's strength and innate durability do give him some advantages though, since he's got them no matter what, while Quasar's durability is dependent on the quantum bands being charged and active.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@owie: Atom's transmutation was never really that great. He's not Firestorm's level when it comes to transmutation. He has used it on people before, though. Angela Spica (Engineer), transmuting her from her robotic body to her human body and manipulating the atoms in Maul's body, reducing his mass. But, these showings required a lot of concentration and he had to be close proximity and/or touching them to pull it off. That said, transmuting someone into a chunk of coal would be out of character for Atom. He's never killed anyone like that before.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really hope this doesn't get turned in a scan fest... Smh.

I think it would be better to make an argument first, before providing scans.

emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By emperorthanos-  Moderator

@static_shock: well scans for Atom would really helpful for some of us.A couple of people inclluding myself have stated they dont really know enough about Atom to make an arguement.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#41 owie  Moderator

@owie: Atom's transmutation was never really that great. He's not Firestorm's level when it comes to transmutation. He has used it on people before, though. Angela Spica (Engineer), transmuting her from her robotic body to her human body and manipulating the atoms in Maul's body, reducing his mass. But, these showings required a lot of concentration and he had to be close proximity and/or touching them to pull it off. That said, transmuting someone into a chunk of coal would be out of character for Atom. He's never killed anyone like that before.

OK, thanks.

killraven4334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By killraven4334

I really hope this doesn't get turned in a scan fest... Smh.

I think it would be better to make an argument first, before providing scans.

lol duuuudeee, but scanfests are the reason most people come here, don't tell me a guy can do something, show it

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not strong enough.

Nima_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good battle. Quasar can't let this fight turn physical.

Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally I think Quasar should beat Pre-52 Atom based on his sheer energy absorption

How would his energy absorption secure a win here?

Funny how both of these guys are powered by Quantum Energy.

Arguably, it's not the same Quantum energy, since the Quantum Zone and Quantum Field are two different places. The latter actually exists in both Marvel and DC, though.

Nathaniel_Adam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I may argue for Cap but I'm on phone right now and besides I don't really know Quasar so good. So make some arguments, guys.

KrleAvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thestarguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#48  Edited By thestarguy

Post-Crisis Captain Atom actually preceded Quasar, and Energy absorption is actually one of his primary abilities. Theoretically, he had no upper limit and only had the limitation that he would spontaneously "quantum jump" thru time if he absorbed too much energy too fast. However, as he gained greater control over this quirk he eventually overcame this limitation. His body is linked to the Quantum Field and therefore has unlimited Quantum potential. He can't be drained by Quasar, either.

_Logos_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quasar may not be able to directly absorb energy from Captain Atom like he did from the Annihilators, but any energy output that the other gives should definitely be absorbable. Since they can both manipulate and absorb energy this should just come down to base strength, durability and somewhat their speed. For Quasar its about measuring how powerful his constructs are, since the strength given off by him physically while wearing the Quantum Bands isn't all that impressive. With his constructs, however, he was able to make shields to withstand attacks from Galactus and he's even been able to counter Thanos with them too, although of course neither fight lasted very long. Captain Atom has always been depicted as having strength on par with immensely strong metas such as Supes (although truth be told they never had a full out fight against each other they just traded minor blows).

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@static_shock: My bad. I meant to refer to Captain Atom's thing (quantum field) in that comment.