Posted by emperorthanos- (16374 posts) 2 months, 30 days ago

Poll: Battle of the Week: MCU Punisher vs John Wick (62 votes)

MCU Punisher 47%
John Wick 39%
Too Close to Call 15%
No Caption Provided

For this week we decided to have Punisher in a battle as the new season of his show just came out. His opponent is John Wick who just had trailer drop for his new movie. Two deadly marksman going at it.

Rules

• Combatants are in character.
  • This is a random encounter (no prep for either side). This is MCU Punisher. Both character are armed with one Assault Rifle, one pistol and one knife. As well as their standard armored clothing.
  • The fight takes place in an abandoned factory. Fighters start at opposite sides of the building out of sight of their opponents.
  • Incapacitation, knockout, BFR (battlefield removal, which means knocking someone so far away that the fight cannot continue in the very near future) or death all count as elimination. Making a tactical retreat counts as a loss, too. "What's a tactical retreat?" It's leaving the fight with the intention of not returning to the battle in the immediate future. Going to another spot in the environment to catch your breath for a moment or two or for a tactical advantage is not a tactical retreat.
  • Treating everyone else in the debate with respect is a sign of a good debater. If you think someone's saying something that just isn't true, go ahead and stick to the facts to point out why. There's no need at all to drop insults just because you disagree with someone. This is just talking about a fictional fight, there's no need for immaturity and mudslinging about fan fic.
  • If you think the votes aren't going how they should, making an informative post about why a character is being underestimated and spreading the word is far more useful than complaining.
  • One more thing: you don't need to write an essay to have your post highlighted in Friday's article. Sometimes concise posts can be way more effective than a flood of paragraphs. Viner posts that stand out will be included at the end.
  • Votes last till late Sunday, and the votes will be posted in the OP to see where combatants stand by Sunday. Votes do not determine who wins, only who the majority at the time sides with.

Special thanks to @k4tzm4n for allowing me and other users to continue making these battle of the week threads.

#2 Posted by MAZAHS117 (12537 posts) - - Show Bio

Based on rules I’d say John pops a headshot with one of his firearms as he’s s better shot than Frank. If Frank can close the distance and turn this into an ugly brawl I’d back him tho.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
#3 Edited by AllStarSuperman (43145 posts) - - Show Bio

Punisher in a good fight. Superior durability and pain tolerance grant him the win.

If the fight goes to Melee, Frank is the clear superior as well.

#4 Posted by The_Red_Devil (4788 posts) - - Show Bio

Frank, although John has a chance from a distance , but up close Frank is an ugly fighter.

Avatar image for diarrhearegatta
#5 Posted by DiarrheaRegatta (4627 posts) - - Show Bio

Punisher. Wick's better at long range, but Frank isn't stupid enough to get spotted and try to kill a superior sharpshooter He'll try and get in close, and as a larger and stronger fighter, he'll be able to overcome Wick and kill him.

Only way that Wick could win if this turns into a prolonged firearm fight.

#6 Edited by jayc1324 (26422 posts) - - Show Bio

Given the location, I would have to back Frank. He simply has better stealth feats, and that is a factor given the warehouse for this battle and the fact that they start out of sight. He uses stealth during the forest shootout scene in season 1, even hiding under a pile of leaves. He uses stealth when he takes on Russo's crew in his and Micro's hideout. And most impressively he is able to move quickly and quietly through the forest while his enemies are shooting randomly not knowing where he is as he takes them out, which can be seen here.

We see Wick use stealth during the Red Circle club fight scene in his first film, and again when he retrieves his car at the start of the second film. But in those instances he isn't tricking anyone or remaining hidden, he is just attacking individuals who are alone and not in earshot of other enemies. He doesn't have a good understanding of his surroundings or how to stay in control of the scene. His stealth isn't as tactical or adaptive as Frank's.

I don't see a scenario where Wick wins here since he is not getting the jump on Frank and cannot beat him in hand to hand. The location favors The Punisher's fighting style a lot more.

And even f it did turn into a long gun fight, I would still just barely back Frank. Frank is fast enough to quickdraw six men at once after they already had their weapons out and without any of them returning fire, meaning he is fast enough to keep up with Wick. He also has far greater pain tolerance and should be able to last longer through damage. Wick likes shooting enemies through walls and using the environment but he isn't shooting Frank through the brick walls of this warehouse and Frank knows how to use the environment as well.

#7 Posted by The_Magister (13917 posts) - - Show Bio

@jayc1324: Very nice post. Agreed with all of it.

#8 Posted by Supermanthor (18917 posts) - - Show Bio

Punisher in a good fight. Superior durability and pain tolerance grant him the win.

If the fight goes to Melee, Frank is the clear superior as well.

#9 Posted by jayc1324 (26422 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by bflynn316 (2665 posts) - - Show Bio

@mazahs117: I feel like you might've missed that this is the location:

No Caption Provided

Given Frank's superior stealth and tactical skills I think he should take this one. That said, in a straight up firefight I'd give Wick the edge.

#11 Posted by ANTHP2000 (26903 posts) - - Show Bio

Frank is simply so much better overall. It's a general rule I think that CBM fighters are a lot better than regular film ones.

#12 Posted by Wyldsong (9750 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump

#13 Posted by King-Ragnar (3845 posts) - - Show Bio

Whilst Wick is a better marksman (IMO), Frank is a better fighter by a considerable margin. Wick could win if he keeps his distance, tho if Frank closes down the distance, he's going to win. Along with his MUCH better damage soak, I'd give the overall win to Frank in a great fight.

#14 Edited by TonyMartial (9290 posts) - - Show Bio

Frank is superior in every way.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c830d4e319e6
#15 Posted by deactivated-5c830d4e319e6 (4952 posts) - - Show Bio

Frank, although John has a chance from a distance , but up close Frank is an ugly fighter.

#16 Posted by bflynn316 (2665 posts) - - Show Bio

Frank is superior in every way.

You think he's better in a straight firefight?

#17 Posted by TonyMartial (9290 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by Cergic (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

Better pain tolerance than wick? Lol. I would say they have equal, or wicks is better.

#19 Posted by KanyeCosby (7062 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably Frank. He has better stealth feats, but lol at him being a better shooter.

#20 Posted by Aqualion0 (1724 posts) - - Show Bio

Leaning towards Wick.

#21 Posted by lubub55 (12905 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm surprised by the answers. I really don't think this is fair at all.

#22 Posted by Helloman (29712 posts) - - Show Bio

John Wick wins.

#23 Posted by AllStarSuperman (43145 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump

#24 Posted by Batman3000 (5652 posts) - - Show Bio

Great fight, I could see Wick pulling it out from a distance because of his shot, but if it comes down to CQC then I'll go with Frank

#25 Posted by Floopay (11223 posts) - - Show Bio

In a straight fight, I'd back Frank in a close battle, and John Wick with distance.

However, I think John has the edge in this fight. We've seen Frank get impatient a few times throughout his 3 seasons. Oftentimes calling out for his opponent or attempting to lure his opponent out. Which works for him in most scenarios; but would get him killed here. I know he has showings of stealth and etc. But he's also known for baiting tactics that won't work here.

Love Frank; but backing John.

Thanks for reading,

Floopay

#26 Posted by Spyrobrine (55 posts) - - Show Bio

Frank for sure. Especially after that forest fight in episode 3

#27 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (16116 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn, this would be the fight of the century.

#28 Posted by huthimamwa (2424 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know much about Wick tbh. Does he usually go for headshots or bodyshots?

#29 Posted by AllStarSuperman (43145 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know much about Wick tbh. Does he usually go for headshots or bodyshots?

Headshots all day long. And even does pretty tactical leg shots when the situation calls for it. He won't be shooting any center mass shots for Frank once he sees his vest is armored.

#30 Posted by mrmonster (15147 posts) - - Show Bio

Punisher

#31 Posted by AllStarSuperman (43145 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump

Wow I’m sad to see this didn’t get much attention.

Avatar image for redhood_jaytodd
#32 Posted by RedHood_JayTodd (1678 posts) - - Show Bio

Frank narrowly has the edge over John.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c917f846ef0b
#33 Posted by deactivated-5c917f846ef0b (1264 posts) - - Show Bio

Wick wins a gunfight, though I haven't watched S2 so my opinion might change

#34 Edited by Jack_Hart (858 posts) - - Show Bio

Frank wins. He fights more like a guerrila fighter in a gunfight, and John's style doesn't lend itself well to that nor to this battle's environment and conditions. John has rarely gunned down anyone who's not a nameless mook, and almost all encounters he has with anyone decent ends up in a CQC fight, which IMO Frank will win.

#35 Edited by katanalauncher (3611 posts) - - Show Bio

Frank is better than wick at everything imo, including gun fights both short and long range.

#36 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (16116 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow I’m sad to see this didn’t get much attention.

Deifinitely sad.

This battle would be epic and much closer than most BOTW.

#37 Posted by lubub55 (12905 posts) - - Show Bio

Frank now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c830d4e319e6
#38 Posted by deactivated-5c830d4e319e6 (4952 posts) - - Show Bio

Frank is better than wick at everything imo, including gun fights both short and long rang.

#39 Posted by AllStarSuperman (43145 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump

#40 Edited by death4bunnies (1137 posts) - - Show Bio

Everyone is saying that Frank beats Wick in CQC. I’m not sure this holds up due to differing styles.

While Frank clearly has better pain tolerance, and superior striking feats, this may be overcame by Wicks use of “gun fu”.

Wick pretty consistently uses his guns in CQC. While Frank seems to use up his clip to close the distance, then use environmental objects to kill.

Even if they both have ammo once the distance closes I think Wick has the edge when it comes to CQC gun fights.

If Wick has no gun (or ammo)in CQC Frank murderstomps.

Overall I’d give John Wick 7/10 against Castle, mostly due to “gun fu” style headshots.

I’ll reserve my vote; I’m open to having my mind changed.

#41 Posted by AllStarSuperman (43145 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump