Battle of the Week: MCU Daredevil vs The Hound

emperorthanos-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

emperorthanos-  Moderator

Poll Battle of the Week: MCU Daredevil vs The Hound (62 votes)

Daredevil 50%
The Hound 39%
Too close to call 11%
No Caption Provided

Rules

• Combatants are in character.
  • This is a random encounter (no prep for either side) and both characters have standard gear. Daredevil gets his armored suit and batons, standard gear for Sandor
  • They're fighting in a generic city setting. It takes place during the day and they start roughly 100 feet apart and visible. Everything in the city (let's say the city is the size of Manhattan and surrounded by ocean) is on limits.
  • Incapacitation, knockout, BFR (battlefield removal, which means knocking someone so far away that the fight cannot continue in the very near future) or death all count as elimination. Making a tactical retreat counts as a loss, too. "What's a tactical retreat?" It's leaving the fight with the intention of not returning to the battle in the immediate future. Going to another spot in the environment to catch your breath for a moment or two or for a tactical advantage is not a tactical retreat.
  • Treating everyone else in the debate with respect is a sign of a good debater. If you think someone's saying something that just isn't true, go ahead and stick to the facts to point out why. There's no need at all to drop insults just because you disagree with someone. This is just talking about a fictional fight, there's no need for immaturity and mudslinging about fan fic.
  • If you think the votes aren't going how they should, making an informative post about why a character is being underestimated and spreading the word is far more useful than complaining.
  • One more thing: you don't need to write an essay to have your post highlighted in Friday's article. Sometimes concise posts can be way more effective than a flood of paragraphs. Viner posts that stand out will be included at the end.
  • Votes do not determine who wins, only who the majority at the time sides with.

Special thanks to @k4tzm4n for allowing me and other users to continue making these battle of the week threads.

• 
WollfMyth209

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I mean, realistically, Daredevil wins.

But I'll back the Hound for the hell of it.

BladeOfFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice one

The_Justiciar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Matt IMO, but I can see why people would favor Sandor's stats over Matt's speed/skill

KingOfWakanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By KingOfWakanda

Hound taking blows from Zombie Mountain was a great durability feat. Matt's going to have a hard time putting him down.

I'll give it to Hound as Matt's had trouble with Fisk. Matt's going to get a lot of blows in but I ultimately see Hound getting his hands (or sword) on him.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By rogueshadow  Moderator

Sandor's standard equipment would probably consist of his early season gear. Which was when he had best access to his weapons and gear of choice. So this. So heavily armoured with swords, a dirk and potentially a shield. Probably his Hound's helm as well, though that is less certain, he used it whenever he was guarding Joffrey and at Joffrey's tourney, but not at the Blackwater. Mostly because actors like their faces to be seen on camera.

Matt is more skilled, more agile and faster, he's going to drag this out, particularly in the open space granted, but I think that eventually Sandor's going to get a grip of him or land a blow, the question is really just how long that is going to take in my opinion. Sandor is in a position where he can shrug off extreme amounts of punishment from Matt due to both his armour and his own high-level durability, whereas anything more than a superficial graze from Sandor is going to end the fight given that he is strong enough to slice clean through men armoured in mail and leather like they are butter, from collarbone to hip.

I think that Matt's armour might actually be a little useless here and could serve only to hinder his mobility in this set-up, I don't think it offers protection from much but light grazes, any serious blow that Sandor lands is more than likely a victory blow here.

Essentially, I think that Matt is basically up against a faster and more skilled Kingpin who wears plate armour and wields a greatsword that can one-shot and also grants him an extension of his already drastically superior range (Sandor stands at 6'6" vs Matt's 5'10").

BalancedTruth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Hound rips him in half

Paytience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Paytience

The hound stomps.

In b4 "dd more skilled"...even though he clearly isn't.

Hound is going to crowd since he has absolutely nothing to fear from DD while he is wearing armor, and eventually he is going to make DD try to fight him for the sword, and DD is going to get outfought and skewered.

Paytience

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Paytience

@rogueshadow: Agreed. The Mountain's armor is the heaviest in Westeros and Sandor sliced through it like 4 consecutive times in the openin series when they fought. He's a beast.

But really I think the defining fact is that Sandor is just better at this kind of fighting. People try to make a skill argument for DD, but they don't account for Sandor's own skills...assuming automatically that Sandor 1: isn't damn well trained himself on both a technical and tactical level.

And

2. That DD's training means "more" skill rather than different skill.

To writ...I don't think DD is more "skilled" than the hound.

The more western, "knightly" martial arts styles are very effective, and Sandor is really good at it.

DD has a quickness and agility advantage, but that isn't something Sandor couldn't figure out, and his armor and size advantage seriously helps negate that.

The_Justiciar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Actually, I change my mind. Armor and a sword play into Sandor's strengths. He wins.

Chronicplane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I can a case made for both sides, tho I'm leaning towards Sandor. His physicals, size and one shot weapon should give him an edge over Matts superior skill.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I voted the Hound. Nothing to add to the arguments listed above.

MorbusGrav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MorbusGrav

Probably Sandor Clegane, because of his armor and weapon.

AlphaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AlphaQ

Prime Matt beats him up. If he can evade Elektra then Sandor is never tagging him and he can trip, restrain or disarm him with his batons.

Season 1, early Season 2 and Season 3 Matt all lose though. Too many anti feats against sheer physical strength.

King-Ragnar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By King-Ragnar

Sandor isn't touching Matt in his wildest dreams. His armor slows him down, not going to help against an opponent who's massively more skilled and faster.

Avatar image for blackpantherisb
blackpantherisb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Frankly I wouldn't say that Daredevil has too much of a skill advantage, Sandor fodderizing 4 King's Guard in seconds was pretty ridiculous, though Matt does have a large speed advantage. Personally I think that the Hound can edge this fight out. Obviously Matt will be landing many more hits, but given the fact that an armor-less Sandor tanked repeated blows from his brother (who is beyond Matt's wildest dreams physically) I think that Sandor will be able to tank Matt for a highly extended period of time. Meanwhile all Sandor has to do is tag Matt with his sword once and it's pretty much game over (in the battle of the Blackwater he was slicing through armored knights like tissue paper). It's really a war of attrition, but frankly I think that Sandor has the skill, strength, gear, and durability advantages to ultimately come out on top.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bc0cd36084
deactivated-5d6bc0cd36084

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sandor. Matt is certainly faster and more skilled, but just one mistake and he'll be cleaved in half with a sword. Sandor has the strength of Kingpin but with greater range and other attributes in addition, so even if it takes awhile he'll still likely end up victorious.

BladeOfFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Matt would win without much issue. While he began his crusade in a realistic environment, his opponents changed from thugs to ninjas by the end of season 2 and Defenders. While comparing Sandor to Fisk would have been a solid argument back then, it isn't anymore.

While surrounded, starting unarmed and at a reach disadvantage, Elektra killed 10 ninjas in seconds, all without getting touched by their weapons. Blocked a bullet after it was fired. Took a superhuman down in seconds. With her fists, hurt someone who is unaffected by a grenade exploding in his hand. And Matt evaded this bullet-timing, ninja-wrecking, superhuman-beating Elektra for over a minute, while at a reach disadvantage, without getting hit by her swords.

Sandor isn't touching Matt at all, at least not before getting knocked out by a dozen billy clubs to the face.

Sy8000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Sy8000  Online

Matt's best bet is probably knocking Sandor's helmet off and going for blows to the head. If he can't manage that, he'll lose.

I'll withhold from voting for now.

Warlockmage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 3

Sandor can't possibly hope to ever touch Matt... its more believable to me that Matt will KO him with head shots before he even gets touched

death4bunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 death4bunnies  Moderator

I’m reserving my vote for this awesome fight; I do however see a win condition for DD in knocking the hound down.

A grounded knight is a dead knight.

buildhare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Matt's fought far better at this point, I don't think Sandor is gonna be the one to take him down. Sandor has been overwhelmed and knocked down by a few Lannister soldiers, I don't see a single reason Matt can't do something similar especially when he has gear he has explicitly used for incap. The Hounds armor is handy but the greatsword is basically useless with how slow it is in combat.

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hound might actually win this, but it's downright ridiculous to claim that Matt isn't more skilled. At least going by the show versions.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 the_red_viper  Moderator

I’m reserving my vote for this awesome fight; I do however see a win condition for DD in knocking the hound down.

Well. He is not a knight.

No Caption Provided

RBT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@death4bunnies said:

No Caption Provided

10/10

batkevin74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 13

#26 batkevin74  Online

I think the Hound may freak out if this generic city is modern with cars, neon signs etc

Co-Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buildhare: he then went on to fodderize 4 kingsguard in a later season so he either improved or wasnt at his prime in the Lannister fight. And you can say that they were featless, but it can also be doubted that cersei, the crazy lady she was, would get political with her choices like Robert did. Her queensguard was most likely comprised of actually skilled individuals as she would do that in character. Sandor is going to put up a much better fight than you are letting on.

Co-Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rbt: I think people just mean that it is very different kind of skilled. Yes Matt is far superior in hand to hand, but the hound uses almost European knight martial arts, which was more about ruthlessness than flashy attacks like in other shows. Hes just skilled in a very different way.

cpt_nice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Daredevil probably

Avatar image for deactivated-5d4e40f44920a
deactivated-5d4e40f44920a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Could go either way IMO

death4bunnies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By death4bunnies  Moderator

@rbt:

@the_red_viper said:
@death4bunnies said:

No Caption Provided

Dam Sandor is still fairly dangerous from the ground; a lot more dangerous than id think one could be with all that armor.

Im going to vote the Hound due to his impeccable ground skillz.

I now think DD would at least need a dirk to win.

Amcu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Matt is astronomically more skilled to the point that the Hound wouldn't tag him with any level of consistency if at all IMO. Matt has good enough striking to eventually put him down.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hound is a bada$$, but DD is way to skilled for him

Avatar image for theonewhoknocks
TheOneWhoKnocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Prime Daredevil wins but I see current Matt getting tagged and subsequently oneshotted.