Posted by EmperorThanos- (16054 posts) 1 month, 6 days ago

Poll: Battle of the Week: Fantastic Four vs Magneto (51 votes)

Fantastic Four 49%
Magneto 41%
Too Close to Call 10%
No Caption Provided

Rules

• Combatants are in character.
  • This is a random encounter (no prep for either side) and both characters have standard gear. 616 versions for both
  • They're fighting in a generic city setting. It takes place during the day and they start roughly 100 feet apart and visible. Everything in the city (let's say the city is the size of Manhattan and surrounded by ocean) is on limits.
  • Incapacitation, knockout, BFR (battlefield removal, which means knocking someone so far away that the fight cannot continue in the very near future) or death all count as elimination. Making a tactical retreat counts as a loss, too. "What's a tactical retreat?" It's leaving the fight with the intention of not returning to the battle in the immediate future. Going to another spot in the environment to catch your breath for a moment or two or for a tactical advantage is not a tactical retreat.
  • Treating everyone else in the debate with respect is a sign of a good debater. If you think someone's saying something that just isn't true, go ahead and stick to the facts to point out why. There's no need at all to drop insults just because you disagree with someone. This is just talking about a fictional fight, there's no need for immaturity and mudslinging about fan fic.
  • If you think the votes aren't going how they should, making an informative post about why a character is being underestimated and spreading the word is far more useful than complaining.
  • One more thing: you don't need to write an essay to have your post highlighted in Friday's article. Sometimes concise posts can be way more effective than a flood of paragraphs. Viner posts that stand out will be included at the end.
  • Votes last till late Friday, and the votes will be posted in the OP to see where combatants stand by Friday. Votes do not determine who wins, only who the majority at the time sides with.

Special thanks to @k4tzm4n for allowing me and other users to continue making these battle of the week threads.

Avatar image for blackspidey2099
#2 Posted by blackspidey2099 (6519 posts) - - Show Bio

Ooh, this is an interesting matchup... I'm leaning Magneto for now, but I've yet to make up my mind.

#3 Posted by Warlockmage (9074 posts) - - Show Bio

well like i said in the first thread i need to look at all the X-teams Magneto has taken care of and look at Johnny's feats again. we obviously know the 3 biggest players here are Johnny, Sue, and Erik.

Reed and Ben can be rather excellent distractions and are certainly factors but lets face it, the siblings are the game changers.

I honestly may end up going too close to call but we'll see

#4 Posted by ImMadNice (1228 posts) - - Show Bio

I think FF can’t take Erik down after a grueling battle

#5 Posted by Noone1996 (11493 posts) - - Show Bio

There's a reason why they needed prep against Erik. I don't see how they beat Magneto. His force-fields have kept out Thor. His blood bending has fodderized Wonder Man, Vision, and Hercules. He could drop a mountain on them. He could BFR them into orbit. He can do all of these things simultaneously too.

#6 Edited by ChosenOne1222 (347 posts) - - Show Bio

@immadnice: no Eric destroys them horribly. Eric has planet busting abilities as seen in age of apocalypse. His magnetic powers are pretty insane.

But you can send me scans. I’ve never seen the thing as a strong character especially since he has fought and lost against street tier characters like Luke cage.

#7 Posted by WollfMyth209 (16263 posts) - - Show Bio

Magneto absolutely takes it. He's a casual city-buster in power, has haxx the team can't counter(and is more willing to abuse his haxx) and they can't get through his defenses.

#8 Posted by Warlockmage (9074 posts) - - Show Bio

man people here are really acting like Johnny didn't solo Graviton with sheer hax. I know he's not as popular as Erik but come on... both Sue and Johnny have their own Hax that Erik can't counter either

No Caption Provided

#9 Posted by seastone98 (4645 posts) - - Show Bio

Mr fantastic solo's with a wooden gun (i hope someone gets this reference)

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
#10 Posted by AllStarSuperman (43019 posts) - - Show Bio

Did Thing actually lose a fight to Luke Cage lol

#11 Posted by King-Ragnar (3756 posts) - - Show Bio

inb4 thing solos

#12 Posted by Warlockmage (9074 posts) - - Show Bio

in the same series Luke Cage beat Vision as well... coincidentally the writer's name was Bendis.

#13 Posted by bump1010 (1043 posts) - - Show Bio

@allstarsuperman said:

in the same series Luke Cage beat Vision as well... coincidentally the writer's name was Bendis.

Eh, Vision was shown to be getting up on the next page. I don't think vision was knocked out. Ben isn't shown for a few pages so maybe he was.

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2

#14 Posted by comic_book_fan (11225 posts) - - Show Bio

sue could give him a fight 1on 1 with reed calling the plays the four win this with som difficulty

#15 Posted by Warlockmage (9074 posts) - - Show Bio

@bump1010 said:
@warlockmage said:
@allstarsuperman said:

Eh, Vision was shown to be getting up on the next page. I don't think vision was knocked out. Ben isn't shown for a few pages so maybe he was.

regardless they are both feats that Luke has no business performing and if the writer's name had been anyone other than Bendis he wouldn't have.

Bendis has a history of doing things like this, he had Ben Grimm beat up Thanos. He had Wonder Girl beat up Despero. hes consistent with this kind of thing.

so if we are following Bendis tiering it goes Luke Cage>Ben> Thanos when we know it is in fact the complete opposite

#16 Posted by Thor_Parker82 (16000 posts) - - Show Bio

Magneto should win this with mid difficulty.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c917f846ef0b
#17 Posted by deactivated-5c917f846ef0b (1264 posts) - - Show Bio

Erik wins without much trouble IMO, only factor here is Susan

#18 Posted by icec0ld (1125 posts) - - Show Bio

Magneto is my favorite mutant bar none but the fantastic four would beat the breaks off him.

#19 Posted by bump1010 (1043 posts) - - Show Bio

@warlockmage: I agree. I was just saying Vision wasn't one shotted.

#20 Posted by Jacthripper (14899 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say too close to call is the best answer. That also seems to be what the polls are saying at the moment.

#21 Posted by The_Red_Devil (4472 posts) - - Show Bio

Johnny and Sue can take F4 to victory.

#22 Edited by Toratorn (6747 posts) - - Show Bio

@seastone98: @warlockmage: @bump1010: there was no indication he was knocked out, all Luke did was BFR him to get the heavy hitters away from the battlefield so that Daniel Drumm would have less pawns, the same thing Vision did with Thor. We see him again 6 pages later with everyone else. Not to mention, at the start of the same run amped posessed Cage hit Ben and did zero damage.

OT: Ben and Reed are not particularly useful here. Johhny and Sue have the best chances to win. It's in-character move for Sue to deprieve her opponents of oxygen with the good ol' "forcefield around your head/in your lungs" trick, especially if the situation calls for drastic measures and or her family is in danger:

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5Gallery image 6

Johhny also has plenty of neat tricks, including suffocation:

dehydration and sunstrokes:

ignition of shit from afar:

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3

and deep freezing (these last 3 scans of him absorbing "every tiny bit of heat"? That's basically him absolute zeroing everything in the vicinity):

Gallery image 1Gallery image 2Gallery image 3Gallery image 4Gallery image 5

I don't think Magneto has a good defence against any of these tricks. Not to mention, Storm siblings are very likely to drop their morals altogether in case any member of the team gets seriously hurt. So if Magneto hurts anyone, he risks getting his ass supernova'd and suffocated at the same time.

#23 Posted by seastone98 (4645 posts) - - Show Bio
#25 Posted by Toratorn (6747 posts) - - Show Bio

@seastone98: oh, I did. That legendary scene from old FF cartoon where Magneto acted like a senile old man.

Oh, I see I tagged you accidentally. Sorry about that.

#26 Posted by seastone98 (4645 posts) - - Show Bio
Avatar image for supermanwithatan01
#27 Posted by Supermanwithatan01 (10170 posts) - - Show Bio

Fantastic Four

#28 Posted by Toratorn (6747 posts) - - Show Bio

@seastone98: as hilarious as that would be, I don't see that happening.

Avatar image for majinblackheart
#29 Posted by MajinBlackheart (9296 posts) - - Show Bio

Reed with prep beat him once. Reed has also entangled him on another occasion.

Thing has also thunderclapped him and could be useful just keeping mags busy throwing things at him.

Neither are useless, Sue and Johnny are far from useless, Fantastic Four for the win.

#30 Posted by seastone98 (4645 posts) - - Show Bio

@toratorn: pffft as if, everyone knows meme force>>>>magnetism (in all seriousness tho i agree wit ur assessment)

#31 Posted by jagernutt (16228 posts) - - Show Bio

FF. Reed Richards is walking prep. And he got his homies with him make this a slam dunk.

#32 Posted by jagernutt (16228 posts) - - Show Bio
Loading Video...

#33 Posted by Risk0608 (234 posts) - - Show Bio

Fantastic Four with not much difficulty. Why is this not a spite match? Thing could literally one-shot

#34 Posted by Supermanthor (16476 posts) - - Show Bio

FF. Reed Richards is walking prep. And he got his homies with him make this a slam dunk.

#35 Posted by Toratorn (6747 posts) - - Show Bio

@toratorn: pffft as if, everyone knows meme force>>>>magnetism (in all seriousness tho i agree wit ur assessment)

If memeforce is allowed, then Ben solos with his common sense-bending power:

Loading Video...

#36 Posted by Toratorn (6747 posts) - - Show Bio

Reed with prep beat him once. Reed has also entangled him on another occasion.

Thing has also thunderclapped him and could be useful just keeping mags busy throwing things at him.

Neither are useless, Sue and Johnny are far from useless, Fantastic Four for the win.

You mean these occasions?

It didn't look like Magneto had his shields up there. Are they automatic or does he need to activate them concsiously? Or are they just on all the time?

#37 Posted by seastone98 (4645 posts) - - Show Bio

@toratorn: lol ur right he'd turn all of magneto's steel beams into wood 😂😂😂😂

#38 Posted by HellionVulcan (7140 posts) - - Show Bio

It's mainly Sue vs Magneto but with morals on it's a massive disadvantage for the Fantastic 4 since Magneto doesn't really have any morals.

#40 Posted by Owie (7172 posts) - - Show Bio

Seems like Magneto should win this one, although Johnny and Sue should keep him busy for a while. I guess it partly depends on whether he fights like a villain or more of his modern aggrieved hero. Depending on his mood, even in modern times he can be pretty brutal.

In House of M, he turned off Apocalypse's mind. That's probably not really canon, but since it is a reality that split off of 616 (at least as far as I understand it), he ought to have the same powers as 616 does.

He has also had some random feats he's only used once or twice. Here he makes himself invisible while walking through Attilan by controlling the energy around him (even from Black Bolt and Lockjaw's senses), he's capable of surviving unaided in space, and can read and control others' minds. He reconstructed and acted as the living nervous system for the Dreaming Celestial. His powers are enough to counter Rachel Grey's telekinesis.

I will say this in favor of Sue, her shields are tough. They've stopped a newly-awakened Phoenix's powers from entering, have stopped Sersi's powers from affecting her, and resisted the Molecule Man's abilities to affect them (granted for technical reasons). Plus she could either go with force fields in the lungs or making the optic nerves invisible instead of the force field in the brain. But, I doubt she could do these things through Mag's shields. Maybe the invisibility, but probably not the shields. But they're probably proof against his own magentic powers from entering.

So it would certainly be a good battle between them.

#41 Posted by Lvenger (36335 posts) - - Show Bio

Without prep I don’t see the FF taking the majority over Magneto. Even if Sue and Johnny consider using brain bubbles and asphyxiation tactics, I’m not sure they can bypass Erik’s shields. Plus he’s far more versatile than all of them, including Sue and his power output eclipses hers. Reed and Ben don’t really have a means of helping take Erik down either.

#42 Edited by Supermanthor (16476 posts) - - Show Bio

Now that I have saw the op once more I think mag has better chance here

#43 Posted by Sovngarde (536 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm going with the Fantastic Four, Sue is the main character here and along Human Torch and the intelligence of Richards they would win.Ben would give the last clobber.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
#44 Posted by AllStarSuperman (43019 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump